The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6445736 times)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #15050 on: 05/12/2011 01:18:23 »
I'm taking the Sloniacin, something I found at Walmart, its composed of 500mg niacin and is formulated to reduce flushing.  It's definitely a remedy to help relax the brain and improve symptoms.  But unfortunately for me it only works for a limited amount of time.  Like I can get POIS, than take niacin, feel better, the niacin wears off, than I feel POIS again.

Right now I have crazy POIS, I O'd 6 times yesterday...
Hmm, having 6 O's in one day might wear anybody out :) Interestingly, since the O, I've only had 1 flush despite doubling my dose. Whereas in my state of O-lessness (over 3 weeks) I was flushing every day after 150mg.

Yeah, that's just how I am I "O", not really on purpose but when I do, I say "the heck with it", than just do it over again.  It's just too frustrating to keep this all bottled up.
3) I've also noticed that sometimes if I feel particularly 'given to' in the sexual process i get NO negative symptoms - I can't explain this one!

hi badger, can you please explain what you mean by #3?  I'm not sure what you mean by "given to".  Thanks

Hi GoingCrazy

Without going into lots of detail(!) some interchanges with people, sexual or otherwise, can leave me feeling drained, other times they can leave me feeling quite energised. One way of saying this is that its not good to be doing all the work!

The connection with histamine in all this is fascinating i think as i get quite bad tree pollen allergy in the spring and i believe i have had some relief with taking niacin and that hot prickly feeling all over with the pollen allergy has reduced. These hayfeverish symptoms with tree pollen allergy are very similar to POIS symptoms for me except that i dont get sneezing, itchy eyes, stuffed sinus with POIS.

thanks for clarifying.

BTW, I had a bad experience taking niacin at night, it seems to prevent me from sleeping.  Anybody else experience this?  I've had this experience before while taking vitamin B complex, it seems to excite me rather than relax me.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #15051 on: 05/12/2011 02:09:38 »
Regarding sleep... I can say I only have a good nights sleep (what I refer to a good nights sleep is sleep that I used to have before POIS, and actually refreshing, good feeling, tired, awesome sleep) about maybe 3 times a year.  Every single night I toss and turn and never really feel "tired".  I do fall asleep, but while asleep I do not really feel relaxed, I have dreams, but these dreams are draped by a feeling of hyper uneasiness.  Is anybody else like this?  I wish I could have a good nights sleep every single night.  Every so ofter one of these nights happen I am a completely different person the next day, and I actually feel like accomplishing something, it's like the whole world is turned rightside up, when I get one of these nights.  Can anybody else relate?

Also I find that waking up early is best for happiness and actually feeling tired at night.  I try to wake up at most by 9:30 am even on weekends.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15052 on: 05/12/2011 05:41:12 »

My experience is that _anything_ that requires a) significant working memory such as mental calculations or mathematical operations b) recollection of a fact or concept is impaired.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.  Quick story:  I live in SF now and moved here from Dallas.  So last Wednesday a manager of mine asked me what my plans are for thanksgiving.  I told him that besides the normal festivities, I was looking fwd to watching the Cowboys game as I don't get many of their games in SF.  So I walk into work this morning, and he asks me how the Cowboy game was - a game in which I watched all 3 hours - and I said good.  Then he asked me who won.  I couldn't remember!  I had to say I couldn't remember, and then it took me sitting at my desk thinking about it for 30 seconds to remember.  I mean, that's even a low for me, but it's not the first time.  Every once in a while I'll watch half a game and the next day not be able to even quickly recall both teams I watched play.  There's no way that's normal, unless you're a heavy drug user perhaps.  It's just a tough way to live your life.

The shining light here is that loss of working memory isn't permanent. At least for me. When POIS is "over", I assume that your working memory is ok.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15053 on: 05/12/2011 05:47:21 »

What is the name of the show and episode from the Learning Channel about POIS?

The Learning Channel's (TLC) feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the YouTube file for the POIS  TV documentary, "Desperate Measures":
« Last Edit: 05/12/2011 05:54:11 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15054 on: 05/12/2011 20:01:55 »

B_Jim, excellent idea. I PM'd "Poischannel" about this, thank you!

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15055 on: 05/12/2011 20:52:38 »

My experience is that _anything_ that requires a) significant working memory such as mental calculations or mathematical operations b) recollection of a fact or concept is impaired.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.  Quick story:  I live in SF now and moved here from Dallas.  So last Wednesday a manager of mine asked me what my plans are for thanksgiving.  I told him that besides the normal festivities, I was looking fwd to watching the Cowboys game as I don't get many of their games in SF.  So I walk into work this morning, and he asks me how the Cowboy game was - a game in which I watched all 3 hours - and I said good.  Then he asked me who won.  I couldn't remember!  I had to say I couldn't remember, and then it took me sitting at my desk thinking about it for 30 seconds to remember.  I mean, that's even a low for me, but it's not the first time.  Every once in a while I'll watch half a game and the next day not be able to even quickly recall both teams I watched play.  There's no way that's normal, unless you're a heavy drug user perhaps.  It's just a tough way to live your life.

The shining light here is that loss of working memory isn't permanent. At least for me. When POIS is "over", I assume that your working memory is ok.

Good question and the answer isn't straightforward. My working memory improves as I work through a state of O-lessness. But this can take weeks and then accidents happen. I also suspect that the mental impairment and fatigue resulting from the O makes me anxious and depressed. This, in turn, makes the problem worse.
What's going on, I don't know but large amounts of protein & b vitamins lessen the symptoms.

Offline badgerstripe

• View Profile
« Reply #15056 on: 06/12/2011 12:04:54 »
An interesting thing:

For those who are having cognitive symptoms, anyone here feel like there's high pressure inside the head or a disconnect between two sides of the brain, or a feeling like theres an obstruction of blood flow?

It seems for me it almost feels as if POIS causes cerebral vasoconstriction. Every time during the process of recovery, I would feel as if I'm having increased blood flow to the brain.

It's interesting because during POIS when I try rotating my eyes if feels as if theres some sort of resistance behind the eyes in the brain area. From personal experience only, it seems that the mental symptoms and the increased pressure/weird feeling inside the head are completely linked.

Looking to thoughts/experiences/feedback

I definitely have that feeling, its the worst part for me. I rarely have caffeine but whenever i do I get the energy buzz that i assume evryone gets. Afterwards however I get that identical feeling i get with POIS that you describe. The feeling wears off after 12 hours. A migraine can be part of it also. I believe that the caffeine withdrawal and migraine is about reduced blood flow to the brain.

Regarding reduced blood oxygen flow, has any link been found between Polycythaemia rubra vera and POIS? My mother had the condition (PRV that is, not POIS!) Too many platelets are produced resulting in sluggishness and other symptoms. PRV is much more common in men than in women. I have no idea if I have it but its not been picked up on recent routine blood tests.

http://www.medic8.com/blood-disorders/polycythaemia-vera.htm [nofollow]

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15057 on: 07/12/2011 01:05:30 »

Thanks, very quick !  ;D

http://www.contentdeity.com/video/517157040/Orgasm-Flu-in-Men.html

You can add this one.

I think the Pois channel is another fantastic tool !
We have Girlwind video which is a very good introduction to Pois (>13 000 views!).
Two or three TV health clips.
And the documentary on Frank's Pois.

Thanks again, B_Jim!

I'm sending this to "POISchannel" and I am sure he will include this as he has included all of your other recommendations.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #15058 on: 07/12/2011 23:52:03 »
Update:
I'm having interesting results from experimenting with herbal diuretics. I switched from diuretic foods to supplements as it is easier. It is having a profound effect on my sleep. I have had severe insomnia for 10-15 years (I forget when it started). On the diuretics I still wake at night but I am able to get back to sleep and seem to sleep very deeply. It actually feels Iike I'm getting TOO much sleep. This is quite a development for me, I'm thrilled. Herbal diuretics seem fairly safe as long as I don't go way above the recommended doses, and keep my potassium levels up. Presently I have two types: dandelion tincture, and a herbal diuretic blend with Uva Ursi and Buchu leaf. For anyone who is skeptical that something as common as dandelion could have such a profound effect I can assure you that it actually works. The only side effects have been facial twitching and a little dizziness.  So, what is going on and could this have to do with POIS? I don't have a clue, anyone know how this might make sense? My original reason to try it was the notion that increased intercranial pressure might be causing my pulatie tinnitus.  I suppose that is still my best guess, that "subclinical" increased cerebrospinal fluid pressure is being relieved somewhat by the diuretics. This type of problem can also cause double vision, which I also have.
« Last Edit: 07/12/2011 23:53:40 by John21 »

Offline badgerstripe

• View Profile
« Reply #15059 on: 08/12/2011 00:36:51 »
Has anyone on the forum done comparison tests between regular niacin and nicotinamide, to see if the latter has any effect on POIS?

Or also compare Niacin with L-Histidine.

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Histamine [nofollow]
Sexual response
Research has shown that histamine is released as part of the human orgasm from mast cells in the genitals. If this response is lacking this may be a sign of histapenia (histamine deficiency). In such cases, a doctor may prescribe diet supplements with folic acid and niacin (which used in conjunction can increase blood histamine levels and histamine release), or L-histidine.

if L-histidine works too (prior, like niacin) then it could point towards low histamine at orgasm as a feature of POIS, if you get my drift.

Do users of this forum believe low or high histamine is a cause of POIS? I'm confused. I have always thought high histamine was a problem in allergic reactions.

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #15060 on: 09/12/2011 08:53:27 »

The Learning Channel's (TLC) feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the YouTube file for the POIS  TV documentary, "Desperate Measures":

first :31 seconds in and he tells me he once had a normal sex life. Am I the only one that was born this way and from the first orgasm to my last its assaulted my brain eliminating the majority of my intelligence?

Oh FYI if you havent watched "Game of Thrones" I oh so highly recommend it. Think Rated-R Lord of the Rings.... epic

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #15061 on: 09/12/2011 10:20:37 »
Hi Defsync,

first :31 seconds in and he tells me he once had a normal sex life. Am I the only one that was born this way and from the first orgasm to my last its assaulted my brain eliminating the majority of my intelligence?

No, you are not the only one. I had POIS since my first O too.

Victor

Offline joyrex

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15062 on: 09/12/2011 11:56:24 »
It occurs to me that I have been sitting more recently at nights as I have been reading a book. I have read that simply sitting for long periods can put stress on the prostate area. I suppose even more so if the area is susceptible from prior trauma.  Maybe this is why I have been feeling so lousy this week.

I think considering the amount people spend their time sitting on their backsides, more effort should be put into maintaining a correct sitting posture. It's connected with genital health too; newbielink:http://www.salli.com/default.asp?siteid=en&id=Better_genital_health_for_men_with_better_choices [nonactive]

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15063 on: 09/12/2011 14:18:29 »
Hi Defsync,

Victor

Me too. That's one of the aspects of POIS that's so problematic. You can spend a few years wondering is everyone going through this. The answer is a resounding "NO" of course but it's not the kind of thing most men want to discuss with anybody, including their doctor.

Offline mat780

• View Profile
« Reply #15064 on: 09/12/2011 16:50:33 »
Hi Defsync,

Victor

Me too. That's one of the aspects of POIS that's so problematic. You can spend a few years wondering is everyone going through this. The answer is a resounding "NO" of course but it's not the kind of thing most men want to discuss with anybody, including their doctor.

Me too! Although in my puberty years I thought it was normal, later in time, as I’m allergic to several things (dust, pollen, etc) I started to relate it with allergies (because of the similar symptoms).
I remember my allergist telling me it was normal to be tired and relaxed after an O!!! But man, not this way!!!

A few years ago I discovered POIS, and the pieces of my puzzle started to fit.
« Last Edit: 09/12/2011 21:02:07 by mat780 »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #15065 on: 09/12/2011 19:11:21 »

Oh FYI if you havent watched "Game of Thrones" I oh so highly recommend it. Think Rated-R Lord of the Rings.... epic

the one on hbo, very good is the new season out.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15066 on: 09/12/2011 19:17:23 »

Defsync, you express very well the rage, anger and immense frustration of POIS !

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #15067 on: 10/12/2011 00:09:38 »
[quote author=badgerstripe
Do users of this forum believe low or high histamine is a cause of POIS? I'm confused. I have always thought high histamine was a problem in allergic reactions.
[/quote]

Many of us including myself believe that POIS is caused by an allergic or auto-immune reaction to some component of our semen. I've found that Claritin and Benadryl, both anti-histamines, relieve the majority of my POIS symptoms when taken about an hour before an orgasm.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #15068 on: 10/12/2011 10:35:27 »
Diuretic Update

So far it seems like diuretics allow me to think clearer, and one herbal specific herbal blend has allowed me to sleep very soundly. I am now considering that this is all to do with the prostate, which fits in nicely with the theory that POIS symptoms are a result of an inflamed prostate.  This week I took a diuretic formula that has Uva Ursi which is great for the urinary tract, and also has Buchu leaf, which is great for the PROSTATE. It makes sense that an irritated prostate would be soothed by removing some water thus reducing the pressure, plus any inherent anti-inflammatory action that the herbs have (Buchu specifically). I'm going to look for a prostate formula that contains Buchu leaf and try that as well.

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #15069 on: 10/12/2011 12:08:27 »
the learning channel

so I was the first person asked for this episode. I said no cause my girlfriend was like NOT A CHANCE IN HELL. Ok. Well, we broke up, and now I look at this episode, and /facepalm repeatedly because its not the sperm (testes) its the seminal fluid (prostate).

i.... apologize my friends, for failing to address POIS properly on camera. Im considering calling TLC and asking them if they have another opportunity available.

raping your own brain via nocturnal emissions that you and 99% of the male population cant control, is a more poignant observation of the severity of this condition
« Last Edit: 10/12/2011 16:56:24 by demografx »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15070 on: 10/12/2011 14:08:35 »
Have had 2 O's in about 5 weeks. Both times I've felt stinging pain from the seminal fluid. The fatigue and cognitive symptoms seemed to be under control thanks to taking niacin and an amino acid & b vitamin cocktail I've cooked up. Hydrolised whey, glutamine, creatine & a small scoop of piracetam on top. Quite a combination and what I used to use as part of a rowing "stack". It seems extra niacin was the missing ingredient for me and this combo kicks me back into focus and gives me a reserve of energy. But the stinging is odd & I'm wondering if this is down to the niacin.
You're probably thinking "he's taking all that and he's worried about the niacin" but I never noticed the stinging before or, if I did, I've long forgotten about it :)

Offline cornelius

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15071 on: 10/12/2011 20:56:38 »
I've updated my post about newbielink:http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=226.0 [nonactive], to reflect my current thinking on what caused my case of POIS and what I did to escape the ejaculation->collapse cycle. Follow the link if you're interested.

I now believe that my POIS case was caused by acute depression, and that the Fenugreek and Saw Palmetto either helped with the depression or had a placebo effect -- either way, I saw positive effects from taking them, effects which went away if I missed taking them for a day. It's from Vitacost.com and is all unopened and sealed. I wouldn't sell it on to you guys if it hadn't helped me out.

If you're interested, contact me on the other forum.
I read through your post. To be honest about this, I think you were understandably depressed AND that you had POIS. If POIS is a disease which affects someone as soon as they start having orgasms then you'd probably always remember having POIS but its severity may worsen as you grow older and it takes a greater toll on your nervous system.
I definitely came out of puberty with the idea that an orgasm one day would mean that I would wake up the next in a worse off mental state. Early in college, I mentioned this to friends only to be met with confusion from them. I didn't realise that it was unusual until then.

I'm open to the idea that "the POIS got worse", but it's equally likely that the work I was attempting became harder, and that whatever measure of focus I could bring to bear became less and less equal to the task. As I said in my post - it's impossible to accurately chart the POIS state; it has too many negative mental effects.

Quote from: kurtosis
Indeed it may indicate that the catch all "ADD" describes illnesses that affect catecholamine levels in a similar manner to POIS. People who first start experiencing ADHD during puberty may actually have POIS and this illness may not be as rare as we believe. Some There's been significant discussion on this group positing that catecholamine depletion could be what's effecting our nervous systems. Every treatment that people are reporting has a benefit seems to raise our levels of dopamine and/or norepinephrine. Strattera will absolutely affect your levels of norepinephrine. If this works for you then that's great and we should all consider it.

You should also bear in mind just how little is understood about normal brain function around orgasm / sexual arousal. It's entirely possible that the catecholamine / histamine / dopamine / norepinephrine levels that you're charting are "perfectly normal" (whatever that is). To play devil's advocate - perhaps the odd test results you're seeing are caused by something completely separate, with POIS only a symptom of that thing.

However, (& I don't intend any offense) ADD is one of the vaguest diagnosis as the disposal of psychiatrists YET the treatment may improve or alleviate POIS symptoms. For example, would you label everybody with "brain fog" as suffering from POIS?
No - the only defining characteristic of POIS is that symptoms have onset with sexual activity, and are reduced thereafter over a period of days. The problem with this is that it's all self-reported, and from patients who admit that they suffer cognitive deficit (most of us?)

I doubt it as it's not yet an approved diagnosis but that's how strattera is being prescribed to kids (mostly young adults) suffering from concentration problems. I'm confident that being prescribed Provigil would improve your focus and concentration issues but that doesn't mean it's a "cure" or that the prescription of it implies any nuanced knowledge of the condition that's causing our neurotransmitter problems.
Post-orgasm mental confusion, loss of short term memory, irritability, exhaustion, inability to get out of bed; these are all symptoms that I had, which lifted when I started dealing with my depression. I realise now that I probably had all of these symptoms on a day-to-day basis, and was completely unaware of how they were affecting me. I only noticed when orgasm made them significantly worse. These are all quite common symptoms of depression, and my Strattera has nothing to do with it.

ADD is rigourously defined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders; known as DSM-IV.

Therefore, I don't think it's fair for you to suggest that people who are experiencing severe negative symptoms post orgasm are simply deluding themselves when the alternative you're suggesting is a diagnosis that basically says "your brain isn't working right".

Are you accusing me of telling people who report that their 'brains don't work right' post-orgasm that "their brains don't work right post-orgasm"? If so, you're spot on.

My point is that certainly in my case, and perhaps in theirs, that the problem exists without orgasm, which merely acts as a trigger for symptoms. Perhaps they don't experience these symptoms at all when abstaining -- I would have said that of myself at the time -- but perhaps an outside observer would be a better judge of that.

Quote from: DefSync
These statements by you below and your ready acceptance of "diagnosis" by "doctors" who never actually tested your neurochemcial levels by Gas chromatography and mass spectrometry, imho, discredit pretty much your entire thesis on a research level.

Are you a neurologist? Humanities' understanding of brain function is far below the ability to perform simple tests to fully understand complex interactions such as orgasm. I'm afraid that there is no such test as one to determine (chemically) whether or not someone is suffering from memory loss or irritability (for example). There are some indicators - such as MRI's of people with Alzheimers, but our understanding is far from complete.

I refer to a diagnosis and doctors without quotes because they have been certified, and are working from the internationally recognised set of diagnostic material.

You have a good charisma
Thanks!

but I dont think your science is too sound. Also the "compendium" for POIS is this forum. Your statement

"regular, intense exercise, these sufferers also"

quotes these sites:
sites.google.com/site/poiswebsite/test.../exercise-and-enhanced-diet
poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=111.60
poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=226.0

None of which would classify as a compendium. Naked Scientists is THE compendium.
The POIS Compendium is a specific document, the section I am referring to is available here:
newbielink:https://sites.google.com/site/poiswebsite/test-page/successful-methods/exercise-and-enhanced-diet [nonactive]

It is a compendium of accumulated observations reported on this forum.

One thing on this forum is you have to be careful how you word things. Our research carries a lot of weight if its scientifically sound.
If you read the thread on the other forum, the credibility of POIS-as-a-condition is far from certain. There is an absolute dearth of data for the 'normal' case, let alone enough to establish anything about how POIS is different.

If you are truly POIS free, that is is awesome.
It certainly is!  ;D

My experience has caused me to question the idea of POIS as a condition - and to view it more as a set of negative symptoms which predictably and consistently get much worse following sexual activity.
(a set of negative symptoms qualifies as a medical condition)
I had hoped to disprove you, but the definition of 'Medical Condition' is so vague as to be unhelpful. My main point however, that orgasm is not necessarily the cause of the symptoms (even though it is a trigger for their onset) is far from disproven.

I am completely POIS-free
(but then you explain that you are actually not "completely" free. if you have to include an asterisk next to that statement, i wouldnt bother saying it)
I am completely free of post-sexual-activity negative effects.  I just no longer believe that they were caused by a single as-yet-unrecognised new condition. There is insufficient evidence to support such a hypothesis, and more than enough possible and more-plausible alternatives to call that view into question.

I believe that I had the symptoms of POIS from my first time as well - but the memory loss and inability to focus made it very hard for me to make the association. I didn't make the association - or that it was unusual - for a very long time (late teens).
« Last Edit: 10/12/2011 21:03:47 by cornelius »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15072 on: 10/12/2011 22:51:59 »
Cornelius, I'm suggesting that it is irrelevant whether the symptoms of ADHD are rigorously defined when all they say is "displays signs of inattentiveness and forgetfulness" and displays some signs of either hyperactivity or impulse control. That's practically everybody, the only difference is severity.  And by the way, in Europe the criteria for diagnosis are stricter. See Nature Reviews. Neuroscience 9 (12): 95764. The diagnostic criteria aren't free from controversy - Arch Gen Psychiatry 5 (63): 540549.

You're insistent that catecholamine depletion could have no effect on depression but this isn't so. See Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999 May; 56(5):395-40 where research shows that the artificial depletion of catecholamines using inhibitors leads to depression in patients that were previously depressed but were considered in remission. This is an interesting result. There's also a misconception that all depression is treated with similar medications but both strattera and Bupropion (that another poster said benefited them) are NRI's rather than SSRI's. Again, this points me towards catecholamine depletion as the cause of the POIS symptoms described by posters.

You can't know your depression, post-orgasm physiological experiences and attention problems are not related, nor can you be sure of the causal chain, but you strongly suggested in your previous post that the underlying problem for all of us is ADD and depression. If not, that's what it appeared you're still suggesting in quite a forceful manner may I add. You can't know this so it's just conjecture. It has no more weight than the other conjectures here including my own.

All I said was that the drug you're taking for ADD (which was originally designed as an anti-depressant) could be used to treat POIS if it's a catecholamine depletion disorder. It would have a beneficial effect. But that doesn't mean it's the only possible treatment, nor that with further study the depletion that may occur in POIS could be prevented. Until then, take Strattera. Never suggested you shouldn't. I'd be happy to try it too.

POIS isn't a diagnosis (as you point out) but I've seen compelling similarities in the symptoms described here. Hopefully NORD will raise enough funding to examine it further. That's important as far as I'm concerned. Our POIS symptoms could lead to an ADD diagnosis. Medical professionals may decide POIS is a form of ADD but until then we cannot simply dismiss the possibility that POIS is a separate condition. Especially so as Europeans are less likely to be diagnosed with ADD and therefore less likely to be prescribed Strattera which may improve their symptoms. Accurate, specific and accepted diagnosis is something to aim for as it will hopefully mean that few sufferers of our conditions go untreated. There's nothing to be lost by further investigation by a respected organisation such as NORD.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #15073 on: 11/12/2011 01:36:06 »
Hi Defsync,

Victor

I developed it after coffee usage, or maybe it just so happened that I developed POIS as I was drinking coffee.  Both must involve hormones.

I'm pretty sure people must have, but has anybody just gradually developed POIS without introducing a chemical or something different to your body, like coffee for me?  Like have you been able to "O" for years or so and just all of a sudden have POIS occur without doing anything differently?

For me, my POIS is DEFINITELY copable, extending now to just about a day (from about a week a couple of years ago), like I "O'd" this morning and right about now it's just about gone (I forgot to mention the 4 "O's" I had last night [O8)]).  Lately I've been taking two caplets of tylenol extra strength and they seem to calm me down and alleviate POIS.  They have been helping me sleep.

It feels that, post orgasm, my brain is being force-fed hormones that it doesn't want, or has already had enough of.  Like it is being "squeezed" in from the rear brain/neck region, gradually being squeezed like a tube to the front area of my brain, than as this ends my brain lingers with headaches of exhaustion particularly in my rear-brain.  It would be strange if this was a normal bodily reaction to sex, but if so, how can the effects be so great on us?

I understand that the 5 "O's" I had definitely might be overdoing it.  Well obviously, to a person with these symptoms post orgasm.  But if I abstain for too long I start getting angry, more angry than I am with pois, but actual anger, not like migraine hormonal imbalance anger etc. from pois, but I start looking at people differently, or I think too instinctually and I think people notice.  Call it sexual frustration.  It's weird that some of my best days are when I'm in POIS, I feel people trying to relate to me more, but yet again this is in crappy mood pois time.  Maybe if I just O once instead of 5 times...Once a week might be my new motto. :D
« Last Edit: 11/12/2011 01:55:51 by GoingCrazy »

Offline Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #15074 on: 11/12/2011 02:33:50 »
Defsync --

It's sad that you cannot wholeheartedly support your comrade in his willingness to have gone public via the TLC program.

You've attempted to diminish someone who had the personal fortitude that you, yourself, did not have when the opportunity was apparently presented to you.

The TLC channel will not be interested in another POIS story. They've covered the topic already, thanks to Animus and his courage!!

As an aside -- the TLC channel and its producers/directors edit their shows to THEIR liking.  NORD has worked with them closely on several episodes (we had nothing to do with the POIS episode -- I wish that I could say we did!). We know that they write their shows with tact and compassion, and provide only as much scientific information as they feel the general public will want. Like all TV shows -- they present what they think will appeal to the largest audience.

Please -- everyone -- think about how your comments might make another person feel.  It's difficult with all the frustration and misery that POIS causes -- but this is a support group -- you all need to boost each other up, not tear each other down.

If a comment generates more heat than light -- then it's not the right comment.

the learning channel

so I was the first person asked for this episode. I said no cause my girlfriend was like NOT A CHANCE IN HELL. Ok. Well, we broke up, and now I look at this episode, and /facepalm repeatedly because its not the sperm (testes) its the seminal fluid (prostate).

i.... apologize my friends, for failing to address POIS properly on camera. Im considering calling TLC and asking them if they have another opportunity available.

raping your own brain via nocturnal emissions that you and 99% of the male population cant control, is a more poignant observation of the severity of this condition

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15074 on: 11/12/2011 02:33:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums