The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6431155 times)

Offline badgerstripe

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #15175 on: 26/12/2011 19:55:15 »
I have had some success with Niacin although having a rash or a red face can be awkward to explain before sex.

I have some observations of my own.
I have had gastro issues as far as I can remember.  Stomach cramping, strange stomach noises, anxiety where the physical symptoms stem from the stomach.

I have always believed this is where the issue lyes.  Stomach problems get worse after ejaculation.  I also notice my breath feels stale after as well. In fact if I have sex without ejaculation i can still feel a rush to my stomach that seems to to travel down from my throat.

I have been to some the best hospitals in the UK and the one I am seeing at the moment has discovered I have an unusual level of parasites in my stomach.  These are blasto hominis and helicobacter pylori.

A theory is that these parasites can prevent the proper absorption of vitamins and minerals the body. I can confirm I am very low on zinc and vitamins B6, B1 and B2.  Being low on these can cause such complicated array of symptoms that it can quite easily send someone down the wrong path trying to chase a symptom rather than the cause.

When we ejaculate, does the body not have to use vital vitamins, minerals, amino acids to replace what is lost?  What if we are already low on these things?  does this drive us further into deficit?   The time taking for POIS symptoms to disappear, is this not the time taken to replenish and rebalance?

There is also the question of the effect it has on our hormones and what what must be an already compromised immune system.  Surely ejaculation is putting the body under stress where the system is already failing and then needs to replenish, restore and rebalance.

Merry Christmas guys.
Yes, this all sounds very plausible Questforlife. A high amount of helicobacter pylori isn't something you'd want for all kinds of reasons. Have you had ulcers?

Can you let me know which hospital you're going to in the UK and the name of the test you got? I'd be interested in getting the same thing done. There's little doubt in my mind that much of this is down to mineral and vitamin deficiencies and that aggressively replenishing them post O seems to have an effect. Symptoms are reduced by having a surplus of various minerals in the body to avoid the deficit state. That's my experience anyway.

Unfortunately when I went to the gastroenterologist he didn't really give me much clue as to how to rectify the flattened villi problem. He wasn't convinced it was gluten but recommended I try a gluten free diet, this had no effect except to cost more money and not taste very nice :) What have you been recommended to control the bacteria in your gut?

I have an allergy to gluten which is not severe enough to be coeliacs. This causes a less severe brief pois-like lethargy and stomach cramps and diarrhoea. I feel much better on a gluten free diet. I have never had a flattened villi test but the gain in weight from being a less than healthy bmi before the gluten-free diet suggests an absorption problem. I can't trace the start pois to stomach problems, I have had giardia but that was only ten years ago, long after pois started.

There is no doubt that zinc supplements have hastened the recovery period from pois but hasn't prevented it. The best results have come from recent use of niacin. Hope everyone had happy holidays.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #15176 on: 27/12/2011 01:38:07 »
Last night I took 4 benadryl, 1 Claritin, two 100mg pills of niacin( one of which i cut open and took as powder), and 4 keystone light beers. I didn't notice a flush and had an orgasm an hour after the dose then went to bed. Felt great today. Basically no sign of POIS at all except some remaining cognitive slowness, but I feel that I'm closing in on the ideal med combination to start myself on a healing path.

As a side note I also did sublingual self treatment immediately following the orgasm. I ejaculated into a small cup filled with just a bit of water, mixed it with a spoon then held the mixture under my tongue for about 5 min then swallowed it. Had no reaction to the sublingual treatment, but I hope over time if I do it every night that the  treatment may help.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15177 on: 27/12/2011 14:19:28 »
There is no doubt that zinc supplements have hastened the recovery period from pois but hasn't prevented it. The best results have come from recent use of niacin. Hope everyone had happy holidays.

They're relatively cheap so I take both. 2 ZMA supps at night and the niacin first thing in the morning to get a good flush. Throw in a high strength multi-vitamin & mineral (I use the Quest one if that isn't breaking forum rules) for all my other vit needs and 4g of Vit C during the day and I feel almost bouncy. Actually, I'm still remembering quite vivid dreams and waking up much happier. And that's in a 7 day period where for various reasons, all of them good :), I ended up having 3 O's. So I broke my own rules & still feel good.

Offline questforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #15178 on: 27/12/2011 18:25:44 »
Another thing that might help with retaining a good supply of zinc is keep your copper levels down.  Zinc is obviously very important for men, and semen has high levels of it. Zinc is needed in so many chemical reactions in the body.  We get less off it through our foods these days (may account for why statistically  hormone, infertility, impotence to name a few, are on the rapid increase)

Copper imbalance will cause havoc to us men (and women to some degree), limiting the amount of chocolate, coffee  nuts etc (all high in copper)  will keep copper levels in check and zinc levels balanced.  It like a seesaw effect apparently.

Anyway, I am no doctor, just someone who has a read a lot form different reliable sources.  Check it out for yourselves. 

On the subject of zinc, if you have found one that works well for you then great, however if you have not.  I take ionic zinc which claims high bioavailability through better absorption.

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #15179 on: 27/12/2011 19:19:23 »
so my grandfather had Alzheimers stage 2 almost to stage 3.

anyone else here with POIS have a parent or grandparent with Alzheimers as well?

im considering corresponding with some Alzheimers researchers in hopes that they find some interest in the similarity of the effects of my POIS and Alzheimers.

Offline questforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #15180 on: 27/12/2011 19:29:07 »
Another interesting post I found in relation to POIS, or perhaps what some might be calling the sex 'hangover'

It in relation to high Prolactin which can cause alot of the symptoms described on this forum.  Also there is a still a link here what I was writing about earlier with mineral, vitamin deficiencies or imablances.  Certain vitamins B6 (P5P) zinc, vitamin C have been reported to decrease levels of Prolactin according to other sites

Read about it yourself   http://www.reuniting.info/science/prolactin_sex_libido [nofollow]

I dont wish to go off track, but im wondering if there is a link between all of these symptoms and other named disorders.  Its so important we look for the root of the problem and only use symptoms to find patterns. 

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15181 on: 27/12/2011 22:58:57 »
Another interesting post I found in relation to POIS, or perhaps what some might be calling the sex 'hangover'

It in relation to high Prolactin which can cause alot of the symptoms described on this forum.  Also there is a still a link here what I was writing about earlier with mineral, vitamin deficiencies or imablances.  Certain vitamins B6 (P5P) zinc, vitamin C have been reported to decrease levels of Prolactin according to other sites

Read about it yourself   http://www.reuniting.info/science/prolactin_sex_libido

I dont wish to go off track, but im wondering if there is a link between all of these symptoms and other named disorders.  Its so important we look for the root of the problem and only use symptoms to find patterns. 

It's very difficult to only use symptoms, because there are a lot of other disorders which share many of the same symptoms.

The biggest difference is that our symptoms are generated by the orgasm. Even then, there are complex interactions with parallel disorders that may (or may not) be borderline. The POIS imbalance can set of an otherwise dormant disorder.

Certain disorders, several of which are even found at reuniting.info are a result of neurotransmitter and or hormonal deficits. POIS however can create similar deficits, but we do not have the same disorder. We have to be careful not to be tempted to resolve POIS by treating other disorders that are similar and that are actually caused by POIS. In our case the apparent "other disorder" will only be resolved by resolving POIS.

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #15182 on: 28/12/2011 07:00:10 »

anyone else here with POIS have a parent or grandparent with Alzheimers as well?

im considering corresponding with some Alzheimers researchers in hopes that they find some interest in the similarity of the effects of my POIS and Alzheimers.

You may be onto something, Defsync. My Grandfather died of Alzheimers. I was researching it a while ago, and came across some research stating that even in normal people, dopamine levels drop by an average of 10% every decade. The conclusion was that if humans lived long enough, EVERYBODY would get Alzheimers eventually. People with Alzheimers are experiencing the dopamine dropping at a higher rate, so it is diagnosed within their lifetimes.

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #15183 on: 28/12/2011 07:33:12 »
Hey guys. My name is Jon. I have been posting on the other POIS Forum for quite some time but this is my first post on here. Its great that we are making progress ! Seems like every few months we are coming up with an upgrade for treatment and learning more about our problem. Let me tell you a little about myself. I apologize in advance for the length.

My problem started suddenly at orgasm one day when I was about 16, and the symptoms have not since lifted in my 8 years even going months without activity. What may make my issue different than most is it is constant, but still sexually derived. My initial symptoms were mental everything seemed dull and colorless. Ontop of the initial problem I developed my POIS. So in the days after sex I would become even worse than my initial symptoms. I'm 24 now and my problem has gotten to the point where cognitively I can't do the simplest of things, I have low libido year round, cant work or go to school. Everything is disoriented and im extremely mentally absent. The physical symptoms are all there as well.

I thought it was hell until I developed my latest and most debilitating symptom about a year ago.. A weird paranoia around people and even when I'm alone. It doesnt feel like a schiz-type thing but more like Im lacking the chemicals that allow us to deal with things during the day and that allows us to face things. The discomfort is unexplainable its like I'm on automatic defense mode all day 24/7..Worse than fight or flight. I'm thinking maybe norepinephrine area but who knows. All I know is its hell and if any of you are also dealing with this please let me know.

Like many of you ive seen tons of doctors, had tons of tests and exams from ultrasounds on my testicles to blood work for lyme disease. Everything. Every kind of doctor.  Any progress I have made has been on my own and I am thankful to many of you for that (Niacin and other discoveries). I am currently seeing a psychologist that believes in my problem and is open to letting me try and medication I want to try and patch things up while we continue to move forward. If anybody is knowledgable to can give info to medications please let me know. i will be seeing my doctor tomorrow, Do not know what to request.

I will tell you all that i tried adderall, celexa, focaline, and xanax and none had any positive effects. Niacin is the only thing that has given me a decent level of relief when taken an hour or so before sex. I will continue to take it for now.

My family does have a very successful family business, and when I am able to recover enough to work and produce I will be donating to help the good cause along. But as of right now I'm kinda lost and hoping as many of you are.

Thank you all for your time. We will conquer this !

Jon.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15184 on: 28/12/2011 10:23:38 »
jferr, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

**(If you have any technical questions, please feel free to PM (private message) Daveman or me -- go towards the end of this welcome message (after the 5 available research articles are described) for instuctions on how to send PM. We'll be happy to explain!)***

If you haven't already done so, but would like to like to join the new forum,  send "daveman" a PM here at the Naked Science Forum -- "daveman".  He'll reply to you.

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the YouTube file for the POIS  TV documentary, "Desperate Measures":

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome "POIS": Case report

Authors:
Abdalla M Attia*, Magda H Al-Ziny, Hossam A Yasien
*Corresponding author: Andrology Unit, Minoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Eygpt

For more info, check out emi_b's  SMF POIS thread:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0;topicseen

Available Upon Request:

1. and 2. POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggest one possible avenue of treatment.

3. First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

4. Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

5. British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

It can be very  helpful to you when dealing with medical professionals to point out the POIS' official listing, as recognized by the
National Institutes for Health (NIH), Office of Rare Diseases Research
:
http://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/RareDiseaseList.aspx?StartsWith=P, then scroll down until you reach Postorgasmic illness syndrome. 

POIS also appears in credible medical sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus nearly 1,500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

« Last Edit: 29/12/2011 07:35:12 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15185 on: 28/12/2011 23:09:54 »

jferr, you asked for recommended medications. A full range of hormonal testing with an endocrinologist led to my 80% POIS cure with testosterone replacement therapy. Ask your doctor about hormonal testing (via bloodwork).

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #15186 on: 29/12/2011 05:06:05 »
Thank you, demografx, for your responses. Great work on this site, I have been an active member of the new forum for almost a year now and I see that this forum also has tons of great information and members.

Regaurding the hormonal testing, I've had almost everything possible tested and the results have been normal other than high IGF-1. Also low iron, and high cortisol from time to time. The numbers are not outstanding or anything so it is frustrating that I,  Like man, have not had something come up in blood work results.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15187 on: 29/12/2011 07:12:45 »

Regarding the hormonal testing, I've had almost everything possible tested..."

I did, too. But everything changed when I worked with a POIS-sympathetic endocrinologist, and he did far more sophisticated testing than I had previously done with GP's and urologists. Reversed 30+ years of my POIS agony.

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #15188 on: 29/12/2011 08:15:57 »
Wow, If only I could find one of those. I've seen more than a few, pitched it right and everything. Even offered a reward or two, None of them were accepting of it.. I'm happy for you man thats awesome.

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #15189 on: 29/12/2011 08:17:32 »
May I ask what type of testing you did and what you tested ? I would love to give that testing information to my doctor if you don't mind. It would be great to make some kind of progress.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15190 on: 29/12/2011 09:12:20 »

jferr, you asked for recommended medications. A full range of hormonal testing with an endocrinologist led to my 80% POIS cure with testosterone replacement therapy. Ask your doctor about hormonal testing (via bloodwork).
What exactly is your testosterone replacement therapy? Gels & injections?

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #15191 on: 29/12/2011 22:15:00 »
Kurtosis, Thank you for your response..

I had my testosterone tested both before and after and free testosterone was low but barely. They told me my testosterone balance was normal.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #15192 on: 30/12/2011 04:35:50 »
jferr, I can relate to what you said about being paranoid around people.  I guess you can call this social anxiety.  I believe it is probably some guilt-type reaction that your subconscious sets off after orgasm.  Sort of like you sense that people know what you did.  I usually get this after having orgasmed, especially to porn.  That is why I try to stay away from porn.  I don't really get the effects if i just masturbate without any material.  You don't have to look at porn to masturbate, but you can masturbate without looking at porn.  If i do get this feeling,I will have the anxious feeling for that day and maybe the next, the day after that it goes away.  After discovering Niacin I am a lot better too, but I also make the mistake of taking niacin after O because I really do not plan my orgasms.
« Last Edit: 30/12/2011 04:37:28 by GoingCrazy »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15193 on: 30/12/2011 07:50:39 »

Wow, If only I could find one of those [POIS-empathetic endocrinologists]. I've seen more than a few, pitched it right and everything. Even offered a reward or two, None of them were accepting of it.. I'm happy for you man thats awesome.

Thank you, jferr!

1. I went to a major university medical center. There you will find RESEARCH-endocrinologists (they teach). POIS is more or less at a "research" stage, so the fit is better.

2. I found an educator-practitioner. Another way of saying he's older, has TENURE, therefore is more secure with exploring something "unorthodox" (not in any standard diagnostic medical manual)...like POIS.

3. I went along with a diagnosis of "hypogonadism", rather than "POIS". Using "POIS" on laboratory forms would set off alarms.

4. I now have a good medical team. But in earlier years, I found that "nice" didn't work. So I got MILDLY AGRESSIVE AND OBNOXIOUS. I FIRED DOCTORS. I GOT YELLED AT.  This worked. But it's not for the faint of heart.

5. It helped my case by bringing POIS research papers to my first meeting, and pointing out - to my new endocrinologist - that the 2002 (and now 2011) POIS medical research studies/papers were co-authored by an ENDOCRINOLOGIST (Dr Dave Schwartz, Netherlands).

Keep in mind that when it comes to physicians and POIS, if you have read these forums even superficially, YOU KNOW MORE THAN THEY DO!! YOU ARE THE EXPERT, NOT THEM. SO DON'T ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE INTIMIDATED BY DUNNO-POIS-PHYSICIANS!!

May I ask what type of testing you did and what you tested ? I would love to give that testing information to my doctor if you don't mind. It would be great to make some kind of progress.

I posted about this in much detail here at the forum since 2009. Could I ask you to kindly do some Google searches for it? I will try to do the same if I have time. I tested for: SHBG, free T, bioavailable T, total T, FSH, prolactin, and much more.

What exactly is your testosterone replacement therapy? Gels & injections?

Patches. 3 Daily. Watson Pharma's Androderm product, 15mg total (3 patches @ 5mg each patch).

Endocrinologist recommended 10mg, eventually I asked to try 15mg, he approved, it's been an amazing, miraculous reversal of 30+ years of POIS horror.

Ritalin, caffeine, Levitra + other unknown factors sometimes bring me astonishingly to  100% POIS-free. (Yes, I'm still amazed 2+ years later!)

But I am NOT sure who this will work for and who it will not. But several members here have found relief with TRT.

« Last Edit: 30/12/2011 08:54:55 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15194 on: 30/12/2011 08:26:56 »

I had my testosterone tested both before and after and free testosterone was low but barely. They told me my testosterone balance was normal.

My testing showed "normal" too, until I did mine at large university medical lab with a top endocrinologist.

I also asked for MORE (50% more) testosterone than "standard" treatment. It made a nice further dent in my POIS.

But this is just my story. Until we do formal POIS medical research, you will need to unfortunately ***experiment*** to find out what works for you.

The more I studied this forum in 2007-2008 and listened to hormonal TESTING recommendations, it led to my 80% to 90% cure.
« Last Edit: 30/12/2011 08:35:49 by demografx »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15195 on: 30/12/2011 11:55:31 »

My testing showed "normal" too, until I did mine at large university medical lab with a top endocrinologist.

I also asked for MORE (50% more) testosterone than "standard" treatment. It made a nice further dent in my POIS.

But this is just my story. Until we do formal POIS medical research, you will need to unfortunately ***experiment*** to find out what works for you.

The more I studied this forum in 2007-2008 and listened to hormonal TESTING recommendations, it led to my 80% to 90% cure.
That's interesting as the ZMA supplement is supposed to boost testosterone levels and I find that other activities that are supposed to boost testosterone production, such as lifting weights, also reduce the symptoms. It always struck me as odd as boosting testosterone makes me more inclined to want to have an O but then seems to reduce the effects of one. But what worried me about that was adrenal fatigue. Eventually, the aggressive exercise regime made me feel burnt out.

Have you ever had tests for vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Hair analysis for example?

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #15196 on: 30/12/2011 14:44:17 »
My grandmother died from Alzheimer.
A possible similarity: glucose utilization in the brain:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110328161854.htm

Ritalin, caffeine, Levitra + other unknown factors sometimes bring me astonishingly to  100% POIS-free. (Yes, I'm still amazed 2+ years later!)
But I am NOT sure who this will work for and who it will not. But several members here have found relief with TRT.
Recently I have read a study saying that testosterone can increase the response to noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors antidepressants.
Maybe that's why it didn't work the same for everyone.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15301926

Kurtosis, from what I know it has never been proved that ZMA is increasing testosterone, but maybe it's true for people who have a zinc deficiency.
« Last Edit: 30/12/2011 15:00:54 by martin88 »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15197 on: 30/12/2011 20:17:19 »
Kurtosis, from what I know it has never been proved that ZMA is increasing testosterone, but maybe it's true for people who have a zinc deficiency.
Very interesting Martin. I don't buy the SNAC study (in case anyone thinks I'm suggesting otherwise :)) but the ingredients of ZMA are important in the production of seminal fluid so I thought this may be having a replenishing effect. For me, it's just a convenient alternative to separate zinc, magnesium and zinc supplementation & I tend to buy the bulk stuff rather than the SNAC-approved, branded and wildly expensive products.

The other thing is that studies of testosterone production in athletes who are already taking amino acid cocktails and engaging in aggressive weight training are not necessarily representative of the general population so I'd be inclined to regard pro/contra ZMA efficacy for testosterone increase as something that's not conclusively decided yet and may have other factors (e.g. vitamin & mineral deficiencies, degree of free testosterone before supplementation starts, other supplementation programme etc.). For example in older weight trainers, I've seen studies that suggests they can boost testosterone levels by actually reducing protein supplementation.
See http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960076008000782

I've had 2 relatives on my father's side of the family who have developed alzheimers by the way so add that to the list. Perhaps there's a connection. I read a fascinating paper recently on experimental alzheimer treatment using medium chain triglycerides, found in coconut oil, milk, colostrum etc. The idea is that ketosis can work around the impairment to glucose utilisation in mitochondria by providing an alternative fuel source.

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #15198 on: 30/12/2011 20:32:45 »
POISers who had parents/grandparents/close family members with Alzheimers:

Kurtosis
martin88
hurray
Defsync

Is there anyone else? This is enough for me to contact an Alzheimers research center at Harvard about this "coincidence" in hopes that some correlation may bring insight to either condition.

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #15199 on: 30/12/2011 20:40:05 »
I just spoke on the phone with the center at Harvard.

http://alzheimersweekly.com/content/alzheimers-disease-research-center-harvard-medical-school

They want me to put together an email describing the correlation between POIS, relatives who have Alzheimers, and the similarity in mental symptoms one gets from POIS to the symptoms one gets from Alzheimers.

This is who I am to send the email to:

http://madrc.mgh.harvard.edu/liang-yap-phd

So I am going to ask one last time, just in case, do any of your relatives, for those who have POIS, have or had Alzheimer's? If you dont know for sure, please check and post here if so. After a few days I will compose the email and send it out.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15199 on: 30/12/2011 20:40:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length