The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6429230 times)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #15250 on: 05/01/2012 22:35:25 »
Question - Has anyone entered "Advanced POIS" (POIS that no longer goes away at day 4+) and gotten OUT of it?  How?!?  Constant pois is awful.

I have a new theory that my Advanced POIS is caused by miniature NE's every night.  I've never found evidence of a NE, but I feel by far the worst in the mornings, indicating that something might be going on while sleeping.  I'm going to try to wake up midway through the night and pop some Niacin. as Dave suggested.

Yes, my POIS used to last at least 7 days when I first discovered that orgasm was affecting me like this.  I think that through general abstinence I was able to get myself down to about a day, and sometimes I do not even get POIS.  The mini NE's you talk about might be your problem, but are you sure you ejaculate every night?? I don't do anything to prepare for my NE's.  I've only had 2 or 3 of them the past 3 years because i cannot hold it in for that long.

I think that the niacin is causing some kind of mini-POIS reaction inside my head from the blood pressure, but it has improved my condition greatly.  I had 3 O's last night and just feel a little tired right now.  That crazy POIS feeling hasn't appeared.  I didn't even take niacin yesterday, so I think the niacin is probably expanding vessels or something for the long term, which is allowing me to cope with POIS.
« Last Edit: 05/01/2012 22:41:01 by GoingCrazy »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #15251 on: 05/01/2012 22:38:59 »
Hi everyone!

Yesterday I bought a bottle of Niacin 500 mg capsules. On the bottle it says NO FLUSH. I am wondering if this also works for you guys? Does the FLUSHING one works better than NO FLUSH one for you?

Please let me know.

Thank you!
Flush works best for me. Also discourages me from taking too much by giving me a nice obvious feedback within about 10 minutes of taking it.

Yes, I think that the flush kind is the best to take.  I did some research the other day on non-flushing niacin and it showed that it actually increases a persons risk for stroke.  I think that the niacin is all about the flush in order to help POIS.  I started with non-flushing niacin and than crossed over to flushing niacin.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #15252 on: 06/01/2012 06:24:55 »
Question - Has anyone entered "Advanced POIS" (POIS that no longer goes away at day 4+) and gotten OUT of it?  How?!?  Constant pois is awful.

I have a new theory that my Advanced POIS is caused by miniature NE's every night.  I've never found evidence of a NE, but I feel by far the worst in the mornings, indicating that something might be going on while sleeping.  I'm going to try to wake up midway through the night and pop some Niacin. as Dave suggested.

It seems your pois and mine are advancing in similar directions.
I never heal to only rarely. You called the problem mini nes i call them sexdreams. Any sexual dream extends my pois. And i know am not crazy because it has happend alot and it has put me back into pois so many times even after getting out of pois. Also when i get them, i get a really bad waking up fatigue. 
I hate them with all posibbly hate in existence, "true meaning of no control".  This previous three weeks when i healed i did not have any of the dreams and then just like clockwork, i had a sexual dream and was back in pois.

The only problem with niacin every night, is the damage it can cause to liver.

I was thinking a combination of high grade omega 3, sweet potato  and wobenzym(enzyme blend that reduce inflammation even in arthritis patients) before sleep and middle of night should help. After trying niacin for a short while.  Somebody use wobenzym and said it helped alot. 
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=73.0
« Last Edit: 06/01/2012 06:31:25 by CCconfucius »

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15253 on: 06/01/2012 09:47:14 »
that is my biggest fear. I am almost constantly in pois to. When i heal, i still get a good amount of duh moments or i should have got that faster than that  and bad memory, but am funnier and able to hold conversation much better, enough to be the center of it. So i attribute that to the body needing time to fully heal from so long of pois, 16 years is freaking long for repeated damage.
i have couple of things that i read will help brain neurons am going to use to bring my brain to 100%when we finally figure this pois out.  and i am suspicious of food, because on days i heal i feel much better in the morning than towards the evening.

thanks for the response.  It's very helpful for me to know that you're going through the same thing.  What you say is exactly what I'm talking about - Out of pois I'm also funnier and even feel somewhat comfortable being the center of attention -  But my memory....It's still soooo bad!  Ccconfucius, can you send me that thing you read, or tell me about it?  I'm thinking about going to see a neurologist to get my brain mapped and analyzed for deficiencies.  I'm not even sure they do that but I view this as a very serious problem.

Per foods affecting you, I've found high fructose corn syrup as a repeat offender on me.  I have to make an effort to cut out all those non-natural sodas out of my diet.

I can relate to the statement "Out of pois I'm also funnier and even feel somewhat comfortable being the center of attention". Additionally, my brain is sharper when I have been say 2 weeks out of POIS than a day or few after I feel the symptoms have receded. Its almost like I feel the main POIS symptoms have gone but it takes a while longer to gather momentum and feel truly myself. Perhaps if you can manage this long out of POIS, you will feel this too. Thus I have hope that there is not permanent damage except that I don't exercise my brain / challenge it with new things nearly as much when I am in POIS.
When I first got POIS I remember there were only about 2 weeks across a whole year when I didn't feel symptoms. This sounds similar to what you describe as "advanced pois" in your later posts B_Daniel. For me I suppose you might say it was early POIS in that it occured during my first years of POIS and now the severity and longevity is shorter (though still one week). I remember one O would give me symptoms for a month. I think stimulation in sleep could possibly prolong symptoms. I can get symptoms without a full orgasm. Probably more importantly,  I definitely feel stress makes my symptoms worse, especially the brainfog. Of course POIS is often the reason for the stress so it can be a vicious circle.

My NE's became less of a problem when I stopped stressing about them so much. But it could also be that their frequency simply declined with age. I used to go to bed every night worried I might have an NE and trying to tell myself I wasn't going to have one, especially just before important work events. Somewhere along the line I decided I wasn't going to worry about them anymore and to stop trying to suppress sexual thoughts quite as much as I was doing. It seems counterintuitive but somehow this helped. This is interesting looking back as, recently, I read that trying  to suppress thoughts about something is a sure fire way to not being able to stop thinking about that thing. This phenomenon has apparently been demonstrated in some scientific studies.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2012 09:49:05 by mellivora »

Offline FinalPanic

• View Profile
« Reply #15254 on: 06/01/2012 15:49:23 »
Hi folks - not been around for a while but found this on Niacin - it may be of interest - it UK sourced document. It is a PDF not webpage.

www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/evm_niacin.pdf [nofollow]

My POIS is all over the place - but thanks to all the dedication on here I am going to start to follow up the Niacin angle - of particular interest to me was this point:

"Deficiency (Niacin)
The most common symptoms of niacin deficiency are changes in the skin, mucosa of the mouth,
stomach and intestinal tract and the nervous system. The changes in the skin are among the most
characteristic in human beings. They are called ‘pellagra’, which means ‘raw skin’ and are most
pronounced in the parts of skin exposed to sunlight. Other signs and symptoms include dizziness,
vomiting, constipation or diarrhoea, and inflammation of the tongue and gastric mucosa.
The neurological symptoms can include fatigue, sleeplessness, depression, memory loss and
visual impairment."

Offline FinalPanic

• View Profile
« Reply #15256 on: 06/01/2012 16:03:34 »
Is anybody able to recommend a Niacin brand in the UK that is not 'flush free' - it seems to be a major selling point and it is proving tricky to find Niacin that will cause the flush. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15257 on: 06/01/2012 16:44:10 »
Is anybody able to recommend a Niacin brand in the UK that is not 'flush free' - it seems to be a major selling point and it is proving tricky to find Niacin that will cause the flush. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

http://bigvits.co.uk/product.asp?pid=152&bid=1
I believe this is the same as Daveman is using successfully. I've not had much joy with Niacin myself as yet. I first tried Holland and Barrett 100mg Niacin which you can just buy off the shelf in H&B shops. Somehow it seemed more unpleasant/aggressive than the Nature's Way stuff. The H&B tablets gave me a flush in 5mins. Nature's Way capsules took more like 30mins (both on pretty empty stomachs). The H&B might still work for you though and a quick flush might be more convenient. Neitiher has done the trick for me so far though its possible Natures Way might have taken the edge off my POIS last time. I need to try again. I'd be inclined to try Nature's Way first because it seems to work well for Daveman and nordnurse has endorsed the brand. Good luck!
« Last Edit: 06/01/2012 16:47:19 by mellivora »

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15258 on: 06/01/2012 16:58:33 »
About omega 3, I have eaten lot of salmon and seafruit during last days. And I had zero symptoms durin my last Pois episode.
Zero symptoms? How often have you experienced that B_Jim? I've been through phases of eating a lot of salmon/tuna/mackerel but I don't think I've noticed it affecting my POIS. However, I am a believer sometimes in listening to what your body asks for. I have noticed  in POIS I am more likely to want and I eat more of: the fish mentioned plus spinach and also 85% (ie v.dark/high cocoa) chocolate. In particular I noticed these 'cravings' (craving is actually too strong a word) for spinach/fish chocolate before I saw other people on the forum writing about spinach some time ago (so I don't think it is a subconcious reaction to reading about spinach on the forum). As I say I'm not sure it helps but I definitely go for these three things more in POIS.

(of course it might just be that the fish comes in a tin and when I am feeling lazy in POIS it is an easy meal wth a few vegetables - less cooking and washing up to be bothered with!)

I'm not sure what you mean by seafruit?? Do you just mean other food from the sea or is this actually a type of fruit?
« Last Edit: 06/01/2012 18:22:09 by mellivora »

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15259 on: 06/01/2012 18:16:00 »
Thanks. Even so to have ZERO symptoms is amazing. Good luck and keep us posted. It sounds like you experienced this without taking Niacin before the O in this case?

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15260 on: 06/01/2012 18:48:58 »

Sorry, the correct word is seafood (eg : oyster, mussel, homarus..). But I suspect salmon to be the main "culprit".
This is the second or third time I experiment this. So, it proves anything. Placebo or not, i can't say.

I have already try omega3/fish oil supplements without success. 
B3 ? There is a lot of B3 in salmon compared to other food (15-25mg for 100g) but normal compared to a caps of B3 (20 to 500mg / caps ). Better assimilation?

B5 ? B6 ? B1 ? B12 ? D ?
Salmon is an excellent source for all these vitamines but once again supplements have stronger concentrations...

From all anti-inflammatory(or Anti-Pois at least ) food I've tried salmon is the best.
Some nutritionnists think Astaxanthin is a good anti-inflammatory. In fact, it is the pink pigment of salmon, shrimp...

It's found in Krill oil. I've found Krill oil quite beneficial in the past but I find that I need to combine niacin, a good multi-vitamin and high strength fish oil to get the best effects. Krill oil by itself wasn't enough. And then there's the zinc, mag, b6 stuff I take at night. Just 1 tablet and, again, nothing outside the "recommended dose" from the manufacturer.

The only thing I take a lot of is vitamin C. I take it a few times during the day. I'll take at least 1g after an O and I notice it having a beneficial effect within a few minutes. I had an O this morning to test this theory and the recovery was actually quite fast. About 2g has a similar effect on POIS to recovering from a cold. I sometimes take 4.5 g per day but mostly about 2.5g.

Re. Niacin brands, I just use solgar niacin. Nothing fancy and it's only 100mg. I'm down to an average of 120mg / day between that and the multi-vitamin and I don't think that's going to do too much damage to my liver from reading orthomolecular medicinal studies where people took tens of times that dose for years. To offset this I don't drink any alcohol, don't smoke and luckily live somewhere I get to walk in the fresh air without smog.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15261 on: 06/01/2012 22:43:19 »
It sounds like you experienced this without taking Niacin before the O in this case?

I took 20mg I think, not significant. I have never took more than 150mg. But I don't think B3 can block what I call the step 1 of Pois (inflammation). Maybe it helps with step 2 (cognitive). But if step 1 is reduced or avoided, there is no step2. When I have no flu-like symptoms during day 0, I know my Pois is finished.
Anyway Mellirova's topic proves B3 is the best supplement according to the Pois community. This is the only one who deserves to be reported to dr Waldinger for the moment.

Thank you Kurotsis for details for krill oil tip. I will have a look on this. I have bought a lot of useless supplements but the effect of salmon is something to consider for me.

I can give you a tip for vitamin C. A strategy I have learn to maximize its effect is to take 200mg each 120 min instead of only 1 gr. The objective is to keep a good stable level in blood. The other point is to keep a low blood sugar (avoiding insuline spikes). Anyway I have to say vitamin C never helped my Pois.

In my case with 70 to 100mg, I have almost zero symptoms. If I'm a little light on the niacin, which can be 100mg if I've eaten anything closer than 2 hrs to the niacin, I still get great reduction of flue like and congnitive symptoms. So it hardly feels like POIS at all. On day two the muscle and j oint pains can come through if I don't take quite enough.

The least I've taken is 70mg, with success, but with fasting for 6 hrs before.

20 or 15 mg won't do anything.

Give it a try with 100mg after at least 4 hrs fasting. There's NOTHING like being POIS free, absolutely POIS free. My life has changed! I haven't had POIS for almost three months now and can have two "O's" per week if I want.

What we desperately need to do is find a common factor among those who are NOT helped by niacin. We could study that on the other forum.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #15262 on: 06/01/2012 22:45:59 »
Just wanted to say that the niacin that is working for me is sold at GNC.  I take one 500 milligram tablet, twice a week.  Not really sure how I compare to others.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15263 on: 06/01/2012 23:58:31 »
Last night I took 4 benadryl, 1 Claritin, two 100mg pills of niacin( one of which i cut open and took as powder), and 4 keystone light beers.

This post always makes me chuckle. What a combination! I'm not sure my doc would prescribe me Keystone light beer...Glad its working for ya!
« Last Edit: 07/01/2012 00:01:35 by mellivora »

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15264 on: 07/01/2012 01:35:12 »
Didn't realise POIS has a facebook page. Thanks whoever did that. Not sure how many sufferers would be comfortable "liking" it on facebook though. 20 people have so far - don't know if they are sufferers or not
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Post-Orgasmic-Illness-Syndrome/129914263717751
« Last Edit: 07/01/2012 01:36:55 by mellivora »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15265 on: 07/01/2012 05:51:49 »

It seems your pois and mine are advancing in similar directions.
I never heal to only rarely. You called the problem mini nes i call them sexdreams. Any sexual dream extends my pois. And i know am not crazy because it has happend alot and it has put me back into pois so many times even after getting out of pois. Also when i get them, i get a really bad waking up fatigue. 
I hate them with all posibbly hate in existence, "true meaning of no control".  This previous three weeks when i healed i did not have any of the dreams and then just like clockwork, i had a sexual dream and was back in pois.

The only problem with niacin every night, is the damage it can cause to liver.

I was thinking a combination of high grade omega 3, sweet potato  and wobenzym(enzyme blend that reduce inflammation even in arthritis patients) before sleep and middle of night should help. After trying niacin for a short while.  Somebody use wobenzym and said it helped alot. 

Jferr, goingcrazy, b_jim, mellivora, and ccconfucius- thank you for the responses. Ccconfucius- I agree with all you wrote- its prob not a NE that i struggle with- bc ive never seen any evidence of one- but rather sexual dreams. A few wks ago i snapped out of pois for the first time in 4 months. I thought it was from my SLIT treatments initially. Then when i began to feel bad again i began to believe the few days i felt good were from my testosterone treatments. Over the last 4 wks I have isolated and believe i have disproved both those theories (although i still retain faith that SLIT will help me in the future). My latest theory is that the thing that knocked me out of constant pois was a week long period of no sexual dreams. During that period I was stressed at work and school, sleeping 5 hrs per night, and my mind all day and likely all night was only on school and work. Thus, it is my new belief that these sexual night dreams contribute strongly to or are the main cause of my constant pois.
« Last Edit: 07/01/2012 06:04:18 by B_Daniel »

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15266 on: 07/01/2012 10:45:43 »
(although i still retain faith that SLIT will help me in the future). 

Good luck with SLIT. I wonder though, could it be that your new constant POIS is due to SLIT? Or did you have the constant POIS before you started SLIT? In any case I'm sure you are using extremely dilute semen for your therapy...Hope you are able to snap out of POIS again soon.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15267 on: 07/01/2012 11:13:07 »
Hi folks - not been around for a while but found this on Niacin - it may be of interest - it UK sourced document. It is a PDF not webpage.

www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/evm_niacin.pdf

Thanks finalpanic, I've posted this in the reference section we have started on the other forum under NIACIN.
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?board=18.0

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15268 on: 07/01/2012 17:16:52 »
It sounds like you experienced this without taking Niacin before the O in this case?

Thank you Kurotsis for details for krill oil tip. I will have a look on this. I have bought a lot of useless supplements but the effect of salmon is something to consider for me.

I can give you a tip for vitamin C. A strategy I have learn to maximize its effect is to take 200mg each 120 min instead of only 1 gr. The objective is to keep a good stable level in blood. The other point is to keep a low blood sugar (avoiding insuline spikes). Anyway I have to say vitamin C never helped my Pois.

I'm definitely reducing the variety of supplements I take, but the quantities have gone up :)
Re. vitamin C, I tend to put 500Mg in water every few hours instead of a cup of tea. So I'm consuming it throughout the day.  I'm nicely stocked up but sometimes I feel like a stronger hit of 2g.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15269 on: 07/01/2012 19:30:59 »
(although i still retain faith that SLIT will help me in the future). 

Good luck with SLIT. I wonder though, could it be that your new constant POIS is due to SLIT? Or did you have the constant POIS before you started SLIT? In any case I'm sure you are using extremely dilute semen for your therapy...Hope you are able to snap out of POIS again soon.

Thanks. SLIT can induce mild pois, but I dont believe theres any connection btwn constant pois and SLIT. Constant pois started long before SLIT and continues despite my 4 wk SLIT hiatus
« Last Edit: 07/01/2012 19:33:05 by B_Daniel »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15270 on: 08/01/2012 00:09:30 »

I read about this herb called Tripterygium wilfordii that apparently has been found to relieve symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis by suppressing the immune system, but I looked for it on amazon and on vitacost and can't find it. Does anyone know a site that might have it in stock?

From China. I would use caution. There's been a lot of bad press about China's exports. Food and medicine.
http://m.alibaba.com/product-gs/280636455/Tripterygium_wilfordii_Extract_Q.html

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15271 on: 08/01/2012 00:14:27 »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #15272 on: 08/01/2012 01:21:52 »
Didn't realise POIS has a facebook page. Thanks whoever did that. Not sure how many sufferers would be comfortable "liking" it on facebook though. 20 people have so far - don't know if they are sufferers or not
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Post-Orgasmic-Illness-Syndrome/129914263717751

There are actually 2 POIS groups on facebook that I know of. Well one is just a page I guess, but this is the link to it: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Post-Orgasmic-Illness-Syndrome-POIS/175719769110249

I made an alternate facebook account to "like" and join the groups.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #15273 on: 08/01/2012 01:27:45 »
VM:  Example of bad press on Chinese exports:
http://m.modernghana.com/mobile/138359/1/beware-of-fake-and-dangerous-imported-chinese-prod.html

good point, demo. Thanks for the words of caution.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #15274 on: 08/01/2012 03:07:47 »
I have tried 2 enzymes supplements in 2007 (?) before the diet.
- Bromelain (200mg) + Papain (100mg)
- Multi-Enzyme (@Nuzyme)

Without success, but maybe I should try again. One is expired.

About omega 3, I have eaten lot of salmon and seafruit during last days. And I had zero symptoms durin my last Pois episode.

The person who used it said either wobenzym or zymnese should be  used not the other kind and they should be used on empty stomach. 
I  tried to compare the enzyme mix you bought to wobenzym but they have diff units which is confusing but it seems as if the one you bought is geared for overall digestion and wobenzym for inflammation.
wobenzym is suppose to reduce inflamation by breaking down proteins i dont understand how that will reduce inflammation.
« Last Edit: 08/01/2012 03:10:12 by CCconfucius »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15274 on: 08/01/2012 03:07:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums