The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6454941 times)

Offline jferr

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #15275 on: 08/01/2012 05:43:19 »
Hey guys, Thanks to  fellow member Kurtosis i have experienced some relief and for the first time in a couple of years I have felt alive. Mind you my problem is constant, Mainly cognitive but the physical is there. Here's what I'm taking:

Before sex:
200mg Niacin

After sex:
1000 mg chlorella
1000mg Vitamin C

Every day:
1 multivitamin every morning
Fish oil throughout every day
Vitamin C - 1000mg every day
ZMA - Before bed

Once a week:
Chlorella - 1000 mg

I have only taken these products for a few days but I have felt alive for the first time in years. My ocgnitive functioning was so bad that psychiatrists thought I was a schizoprenic. Couldnt even go to the store without extreme confusion and paranoia. I have been able to start to get active in the past few days and it feels great.

I also ordered Lecithin, Folic Acid, Spirulina, Olive Leaf Extract, And Saw Palmetto in pill form but have yet to try them. If anybody has had positive effects from these and thinks that may be worth taking please let me know.

I am hoping that this is not just placebo and that this continues !

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15276 on: 08/01/2012 11:11:46 »
Hey guys, Thanks to  fellow member Kurtosis i have experienced some relief and for the first time in a couple of years I have felt alive. Mind you my problem is constant, Mainly cognitive but the physical is there. Here's what I'm taking:

Before sex:
200mg Niacin

After sex:
1000 mg chlorella
1000mg Vitamin C

Every day:
1 multivitamin every morning
Fish oil throughout every day
Vitamin C - 1000mg every day
ZMA - Before bed

Once a week:
Chlorella - 1000 mg

I have only taken these products for a few days but I have felt alive for the first time in years. My ocgnitive functioning was so bad that psychiatrists thought I was a schizoprenic. Couldnt even go to the store without extreme confusion and paranoia. I have been able to start to get active in the past few days and it feels great.
That's great to hear. As you know, the quantities are _slightly_ different for me (more vit c) and I've never tried Saw Palmetto.
For me, part of getting back on track involves exercise. I'm not talking about weight training but just plain old walking for at least 30 minutes every day to help release some serotonin and reduce cortisol levels.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #15277 on: 08/01/2012 14:15:09 »
jferr

If you wish, you could also try with a high dose supplement of Quercetin. Quercetin is present in black tea. Sometimes i've noticed an improvement from taking high-concentrated black tea. And someone reported on this forum that taking Garlic helped him. Garlic contains Allicin, which is similar to Quercetin. Quercetin i also present in Onions...

I suggest this because Quercetin has anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory properties.

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #15278 on: 08/01/2012 15:34:28 »
Guanfacine

I saw a commercial for this. Wiki'ed it.

This med has some really uniqe properties. Im gonna ask my doc for this.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15279 on: 08/01/2012 17:14:34 »
Please add my name to the NORD pledge list for $500.

That's awesome! Thanks RemovePois!

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15280 on: 08/01/2012 17:43:42 »
It's difficult for me to understand how niacin can reduce the flu-like symptoms.
Maybe should I test another brand.

Nature's Way has worked very well for me. It's a capsule, so you can open it up and divide the dose as you see fit too.

But you need to take at least 70mg, or 100mg and on an empty stomach at least 30 to 40 minutes before "O".

I can't explain why it works either, but I don't care. I'm basically POIS free because of it!

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15281 on: 08/01/2012 18:02:55 »

Request for all - Anyone who hasn't contributed/pledged yet, please do so as it is for our own benefit. The sooner we collect money, the sooner we can be POIS free. Yes, POIS freeeeeeeee!!!!!!   (If you can donate either $5000 or $100, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that we are slowly and slowly reaching our goal. Please pledge/donate as soon as you read this note. Don't wait, otherwise you'll be waiting to cure yourself!)

RP, Thank you very much!

We have $4205 donated and $16,100 pledged. (Commitment of $20,305) WE ARE MORE THAN HALF WAY.
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=168.15

THE GOAL IS IN SIGHT!

The Online Pledge Database Manager is just about ready.

« Last Edit: 08/01/2012 18:06:24 by daveman »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15282 on: 08/01/2012 20:32:22 »
We are going to be starting a more or less clear summary of both forums over at SMF. For 1) it will be good to have something more or less organized and in one place that gives a quick rundown of ALL that we know about POIS. And 2) researchers are going to be reading the site to do their basic homework for our research grant. What better source of patient information is there?

Mellivora has started a place to put medical reference information that is pertinent to POIS HERE .

We have a personal POIS summaries and history area HERE which could be of great use to researchers AND even ourselves. Please help us to be sure that the research program starts off on the right foot. Go over there and put your general POIS data there.

We also will have an area where you can help to point out NSF references that contribute to a good overview of POIS. For just one person it is a horrendous task to go through and summarize 4.5 years of the forum, so if you can help out and pass along interesting and pertinent references over there, it will be greatly appreciated and go a long way to assuring that we will get the bang for our buck in the research program.

There will be volunteers and designees who will then compile all of your links into an organized summary thread. So as soon as the whole structure is thought out it will be implemented. It will likely involve a front page link so it's immediately available to everybody.

« Last Edit: 08/01/2012 20:38:33 by daveman »

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15283 on: 08/01/2012 22:07:42 »
Anyone know what happened to the original POIS questionnaire database (I think initiated by Counterpoints) and all the info there-in? That was a pretty good summary of the POIS cases of everyone who'd filled it in. If we could resurrect it and add those people who didn't complete it, that would give us a headstart as far as individual case histories are concerned...
I tried the original link but the site doesn't come up anymore...

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15284 on: 08/01/2012 22:20:22 »
I had a lot of scientific articles but my hard disk has crashed. All is lost  ::)
B_Jim - sorry to hear that. Actually its a familiar story. Nearly all my refs got lost during recent web browser updates :(   I'm hoping I may have a backup of some of them on an old external hard drive somewhere...

I've only started some categories and put just a few refs up so far. I hope everyone will contribute refs.

Its here: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?board=18.0
(thread categories are in capital letters)

To keep everything clear and accessible to potential researchers as well as ourselves it would be good to keep a fairly standard layout I think. I wrote some guidelines/suggestions on adding references here:

http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=294.0

« Last Edit: 08/01/2012 22:22:08 by mellivora »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15285 on: 08/01/2012 23:18:46 »
I always take my B3 with food. I will try on empty stomach.

I haven't see Mellirova's job. Thanks a lot ! I had a lot of scientific articles but my hard disk has crashed. All is lost  ::)

Nice job on Astaxanthin. This is the point I'm looking for now.
Can't seem to get much of a flush when I take niacin with food. & If I don't get a flush then there's more suffering with the O. Whatever is happening the flush (prostaglandin & serotonin release with some histamine ??) it's important.
Must do more research! BTW I copy most articles I read to dropbox so I have a backup. Painful experience. It's a free service if you're interested.

Offline Mer

• View Profile
« Reply #15286 on: 08/01/2012 23:23:07 »
Hi all!

I bought the Non-FLUSH Niacin from Walmart. I could not find the one with FLUSH. Does anyone know where in Canada I can find the Niacin capsules that gives FLUSH?

Thank you!

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15287 on: 09/01/2012 00:04:27 »
I  bought the Non-FLUSH Niacin from Walmart. I could not find the one with FLUSH. Does anyone know where in Canada I can find the Niacin capsules that gives FLUSH?

Thank you!

Im quite sure you can order it off Amazon.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15288 on: 09/01/2012 01:04:51 »
Hi all!

I bought the Non-FLUSH Niacin from Walmart. I could not find the one with FLUSH. Does anyone know where in Canada I can find the Niacin capsules that gives FLUSH?

Thank you!
Hmm, that's odd. Can't sleep at the mo so I thought I'd have a look on amazon.ca (assuming that's what you have in Canada). I could only see non-flush there (which isn't the case for amazon.co.uk or .com).

However I then googled: niacin 100mg canada
that seems to throw up some options for you
« Last Edit: 09/01/2012 01:13:22 by mellivora »

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #15289 on: 09/01/2012 03:57:56 »
Quasar, Thank you for the suggestion of Quercetin. I will definitely look into it. It's interesting that it is in black tea.

The treatment regimen that I listed has improved my symptoms significantly over the past week or so. I still have an unexplained uneasiness, Almost like I don't have the chemicals to deal with everyday things and especially people. I'm leaning towards taking the norepinephrine approach. I also have digestion problem where food gets stuck halfway down and it hurts, sometimes have to throw it up. Acid reflex sometimes also.

If anybody has any knowledge about vitamind or anythign I can do to help myself rid these symptoms it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any questions about my treatment supplements or anything I am happy to answer them.

I will soon be testing more supplements and such so I will keep everyone posted. I will also be donating so we can strive to make a permanant recover.

Best,

Jon.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15290 on: 09/01/2012 08:50:32 »
Thought I'd post some wise words from physicist Prof Stephen Hawking who recently turned 70 and has lived with his unfair share of health problems (motor neurone disease).

"Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist.

"Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don't just give up."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/stephen-hawking/9001187/Prof-Stephen-Hawking-too-unwell-to-deliver-own-70th-birthday-speech.html

Offline Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #15291 on: 09/01/2012 12:55:41 »
Thank you so much for posting Hawking's words, Mellivora.   
Wise words indeed, from someone who really knows the meaning of not giving up!
Happy Birthday, Professor Hawking!

Thought I'd post some wise words from physicist Prof Stephen Hawking who recently turned 70 and has lived with his unfair share of health problems (motor neurone disease).

"Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist.

"Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don't just give up."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/stephen-hawking/9001187/Prof-Stephen-Hawking-too-unwell-to-deliver-own-70th-birthday-speech.html

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15292 on: 09/01/2012 18:35:07 »

Great quotation. Thanks for posting that.

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #15293 on: 09/01/2012 21:00:18 »
Guys I'm wondering what the precursors are of these vital chemicals such as vitamin c and the zma products. I personally feel that deep precursors are off in our bodies that are depriving the body of its ammunition to build its par levels, if you will. I think taking these supplements are great because they are helping but we are indirectly treating the problem. I do feel, however, that we are getting closer.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15294 on: 10/01/2012 06:37:29 »

Request for all - Anyone who hasn't contributed/pledged yet, please do so as it is for our own benefit. The sooner we collect money, the sooner we can be POIS free. Yes, POIS freeeeeeeee!!!!!!   (If you can donate either $5000 or $100, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that we are slowly and slowly reaching our goal. Please pledge/donate as soon as you read this note. Don't wait, otherwise you'll be waiting to cure yourself!)

We're actually getting close!!!

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15295 on: 10/01/2012 15:05:22 »
Hi all,

As I posted on a poiscenter.com thread a few months ago, encouraged by nordnurse I wrote to Orphanet, the European database of rare diseases in an effort to get POIS included in their database. I've made several follow-ups since then and today we finally have some good news!!

Orphanet now list POIS on their website!!! Daveman and Demo got us listed in the National Institutes for Health Office of Rare Diseases Research database in the U.S. and now we have similar recognition in Europe through Orphanet. Hopefully this will prove a great step in getting POIS to be more acknowledged and recognised by medical professionals and helps give us more credibility than ever.

The listing at this stage is not a huge amount more than the name of our condition. In time, a summary and more details of our condition should appear on the database. Here is a quote from the email I received from Orphanet:

"The summary addition is a complicated process due to the many accuracy controls and it will take time, however, the addition of POIS on Orphanet is the most important part."

The Orphanet listing can be seen here:
http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/Disease_Search.php?lng=EN&data_id=20421&Disease_Disease_Search_diseaseGroup=pois&Disease_Disease_Search_diseaseType=Pat&Disease%28s%29/group%20of%20diseases=Postorgasmic-illness-syndrome--POIS-&title=Postorgasmic-illness-syndrome--POIS-&search=Disease_Search_Simple

I'd like to emphasise that this would not have happened were it not for the advice and encouragement I received from nordnurse. It probably wouldn't have come about if Daveman and Demo hadn't taken the initiative and got us listed in the U.S. either as its that that set me thinking about European databases. And of course it wouldn't have happened without our forums! Our listing on Orphanet is further proof that everyone here can make a difference.
« Last Edit: 10/01/2012 15:33:21 by mellivora »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15296 on: 10/01/2012 16:28:36 »
Thank you very much Mellivora. With people like you going out of your way and doing real and tremendous work in benefit of POIS we ARE going to get somewhere.

Like both NORDs and HIHs database entry, it takes time to build up on additional information and references. As you say they have to check them out well. And that's why these sources are so respected.

I had a look at the three expert sources listed, and didn't see any direct mention of POIS. But they are in related fields. Let's see if there are people there that actually will work directly with POIS.

We hope to generate events this year that will be worthy of special mention in all of these referential databases.

Offline Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #15297 on: 10/01/2012 17:14:06 »
(This is a copy and paste of what I've just happily posted on the SMF forum.)

Mellivora,

WONDERFUL, OUTSTANDING NEWS!!!!!!

YOU are such a terrific asset to your group!!

ORPHANET is the big leagues database for rare disorders in Europe and the UK.  We rely upon this database frequently.

Congratulations on a job terrifically done!

Stefanie
aka "nordnurse"
« Last Edit: 10/01/2012 17:42:18 by demografx »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15298 on: 10/01/2012 18:39:10 »
We have a new TOY!

SMF now has a chat! You have to be signed on to use it, that way it's protected against SPAMMING.

Just click the CHAT button and you're away.

Thanks.

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #15299 on: 10/01/2012 23:06:30 »
Congratulations !!! :D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15299 on: 10/01/2012 23:06:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length