The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6461758 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #15325 on: 13/01/2012 10:43:58 »
Thank you for your support, neilep.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15326 on: 13/01/2012 13:41:38 »

Thank you for your support, neilep.

Still can't thank ewe enough, Buddy Neil!!!!

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #15327 on: 13/01/2012 14:35:31 »
Growth Hormone:      4.16, (0.01-0.97) Very High
I had 0.8 for GH out of POIS. Hope you'll find out why it is so high.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #15328 on: 13/01/2012 15:15:22 »
Just wanted to post progress on exploring desensitization as a treatment. Visited the allergist and she was open to injecting treatments if they were prepared by a trusted doctor. Then contacted Dr Waldinger to see if preparing treatments and shipping them to the US was an option. Awaiting his response.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #15329 on: 13/01/2012 16:03:55 »
Not a problem, demografx. Thank you for the response. My bloodwork was as follows:
Name, Result, Reference.

Follicle Stimlating Hormone:  1.6mIU/mL, (1.3 - 19.3) Lower End

Jon, i remember my FSH hormone was also in the lower end!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15330 on: 13/01/2012 18:39:55 »

Just wanted to post progress on exploring desensitization as a treatment. Visited the allergist and she was open to injecting treatments if they were prepared by a trusted doctor. Then contacted Dr Waldinger to see if preparing treatments and shipping them to the US was an option. Awaiting his response.

LJ, many thanks for the desens update!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15331 on: 13/01/2012 18:56:58 »

Not a problem, demografx. Thank you for the response. My bloodwork was as follows:
Name, Result, Reference.

My FSH was in the reference range, normal.

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #15332 on: 13/01/2012 19:26:15 »
Limejuice, i think you did not read Waldingers papers. I can tell you ITS NOT A OPTION. Desens treatment is not based on standarized vaccines like for normal allergies. Waldinger dilutes FRESH semen and injects it. If you want really have it done by Walldinger the only option is to move to Holand. I personally would advise you that your allergist gets in touch with Walldinger just too learn how to make the dilutions properly. My allergist said that SCIT is too risky and we chose SLIT, if it will not work we will try provocation-neutralization treatment with injections. 
« Last Edit: 13/01/2012 19:32:24 by Starsky »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #15333 on: 14/01/2012 05:22:07 »
Thanks Starsky

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #15334 on: 14/01/2012 06:03:43 »
Name, Result, Reference.

Interesting, Quasar. Were you able to get the levels back to normal? And, If so, What did you to fix it?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15335 on: 14/01/2012 07:30:09 »

thanks demo (and daveman), for protecting us from commercial exploitation - much appreciated.

Our pleasure!

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15336 on: 14/01/2012 19:06:12 »
Over the last few pages in the forum, here are the enzymes/ supplements/ vitamins/ treatments that have been suggested:

high grade omega 3s
salmon and seafood
sweet potato
wobenzym
bromelain
papain
multi-enzyme@ nuzyme
spinach
chocolate
B3, B3, B6, B1, B12
vitamin D
olive leaf extract
saw palmetto
garlic
krill oil
vitamin C
zinc
magnesium
zma
tripterygium wilfordil
zymnese
chlorella lecithin
folic acid
spirulina
quercetin

It's difficult for me to separate pie-in-the-sky treatments from the real ones, based on forum posts.  I keep hearing about a page that aggregates all of our treatments but I've never seen it.  And even if there were a list, I'm not sure that's enough.  We desperately need a way to vote on all this stuff.  Kinda like how Amazon reviews products.  Because I'm spending a freakin' fortune on all these supplements that aren't helping me, when that money could/should be going to the NORD fund!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15337 on: 14/01/2012 19:27:23 »

B_Daniel, is the Polling Center at the other forum a way to begin?

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15338 on: 14/01/2012 20:12:16 »
Yes I believe that could work!  Unfortunately you couldn't see who rated what so you couldn't reach out to individuals with questions, but it'd be a great start! 

The poll would need to either left open so that other members could add their own treatments to be rated, OR the poll would need to be carefully managed so all suggestions are added.  Plus, the Poll would need to be kept at the top of all the Polls, if possible, so it'd be easy to find.  We need our main pages to be easier to find/ get to than the rest.

I'll attempt to start the poll soon...
« Last Edit: 14/01/2012 20:29:37 by B_Daniel »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15339 on: 14/01/2012 20:34:11 »
Yes I believe that could work!  Unfortunately you couldn't see who rated what so you couldn't reach out to individuals with questions, but it'd be a great start! 

The poll would need to either left open so that other members could add their own treatments to be rated, OR the poll would need to be carefully managed so all suggestions are added.  Plus, the Poll would need to be kept at the top of all the Polls, if possible, so it'd be easy to find.  We need our main pages to be easier to find/ get to than the rest.

I tried to make the poll but it won't work - the polling center doesn't have the functionality we need.  To start, a Poller can only click on 1 treatment.  They need to be able to rate all that they've tried, so maybe 30+ in some instances. That's the main problem. 

Second, we need to know how much it helps each person, not just Yes or No.

Yeah, so good suggestion Demo, I thought it might work but it won't   :(
« Last Edit: 14/01/2012 20:35:56 by B_Daniel »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15340 on: 14/01/2012 20:57:58 »

I tried to make the poll but it won't work - the polling center doesn't have the functionality we need.  To start, a Poller can only click on 1 treatment.  They need to be able to rate all that they've tried, so maybe 30+ in some instances. That's the main problem. 

Second, we need to know how much it helps each person, not just Yes or No.

Yeah, so good suggestion Demo, I thought it might work but it won't   :(

I am in the process of devising the best method possible to unite various types of information like this into a relational database.

Any surveys and lists that we've had up until now have all been pretty basically manual and with common text entries. So I'm working on organizing a way to have all this information transcripted through a database manager.

Once it's in, then we can start looking for categories and cross referencing  various pieces of data against others.

Also for a quicker fix, while I was browsing around today I found a software add-on to do surveys. I'll be checking it out along with a few more that are kicking around "free".

One of these will accumulate new data, and who knows, might even serve as a portal through which we can transfer the 5 yrs of information we already have.

Sorry for the delay, but I'm working my butt off! :)
« Last Edit: 14/01/2012 21:03:50 by daveman »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15341 on: 14/01/2012 21:01:54 »
It's good to know you're working on it!  Thanks.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15342 on: 14/01/2012 22:12:38 »

Dave, you have performed one miracle after another here, so I'm not surprised!

I signed up for your walk-on-water lessons, too!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15343 on: 14/01/2012 23:42:16 »

Individual efforts are (variably) valuable for alleviating [POIS] symptoms but I have no doubt a more methodical research is invariably better if the goal is to identify/confirm the causes and develop "truer" cures.

I'm sure all of us have financial obligations, most of which seem more important than this research fund. It's not my place to ask you to re-evaluate those obligations, but I highly recommend that you perhaps commit to a recurring, automatic donation of small payments, an option NORD offers. Otherwise, I suggest you set up a recurring reminder in your calendars or smartphones (weekly, monthly, bi-monthly, etc.) to manually make a small donation.

Thank you, Ali!

From the POIS funding thread at:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=168.30

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15344 on: 15/01/2012 00:05:53 »

Dave, you have performed one miracle after another here, so I'm not surprised!

I signed up for your walk-on-water lessons, too!

I've already found a survey software we can use. I'm going to have to spiff it up a bit, and link it into the forum like the chat software. We can use it for both new surveys, like for niacin etc. AND to recompile older information that's in text form, with help from members entering data.

Soon we'll have data from 5 yrs of effort in a relational database. Something you've wanted for a long time Demo!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15345 on: 15/01/2012 03:23:51 »

Wow!!!

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15346 on: 15/01/2012 10:52:21 »
Over the last few pages in the forum, here are the enzymes/ supplements/ vitamins/ treatments that have been suggested:

high grade omega 3s
salmon and seafood
sweet potato
wobenzym
bromelain
papain
multi-enzyme@ nuzyme
spinach
chocolate
B3, B3, B6, B1, B12
vitamin D
olive leaf extract
saw palmetto
garlic
krill oil
vitamin C
zinc
magnesium
zma
tripterygium wilfordil
zymnese
chlorella lecithin
folic acid
spirulina
quercetin

It's difficult for me to separate pie-in-the-sky treatments from the real ones, based on forum posts.  I keep hearing about a page that aggregates all of our treatments but I've never seen it.  And even if there were a list, I'm not sure that's enough.  We desperately need a way to vote on all this stuff. 
It's also possible that not everybody's POIS is the same. That we may all have problems but that the root cause may be different or subtly different for some of us.

Of your list here's what worked / didn't work for me. I've no problem in entering this into a survey but getting the survey categories and responses right might be non-trivial :)
Some of these things work well in combination, some can have an effect taken by themselves but it's improved in combinations. It's not as simple as saying 1 thing works or doesn't.

Your list.
high grade omega 3s - Define "high grade". I found the seven seas orange syrup stuff with vitamin C to be the best for me. I also like their "high strength" product.  I tried expensive brands with exotic extraction and purification processes for EPA and DHA and found them to be less effective than the relatively cheap Seven Seas product. The oil worked to reduce inflammations and acne dramatically. Helped with clarity of thought in combination with niacin but NOT taken at the same time where it seemed to reduce the flush.

salmon and seafood - Salmon and Tuna are pretty good. But nothing like the effects of the aforementioned cod liver oil.

sweet potato - ate quite a bit of this. I didn't discern any effects.

wobenzym - never tried it.
bromelain - never tried it.
papain - never tried it.
multi-enzyme@ nuzyme - benefitted digestion issues.
spinach - no discernible effect.
chocolate - helped with concentration but increased acne. Couldn't continue with "chocolate therapy" for that reason.

B3, B3, B6, B1, B12 - B3 (Niacin) and B6 have worked wonders but  the others don't do much for me when taken independently. I take the others at ~100-200% RDA levels (normally in a multi-vitamin) .

vitamin D - by itself, no effect. In cod liver oil I noticed an effect. Whether any of this could be attributed to Vit D, I don't know.

olive leaf extract - no effect.
saw palmetto - never tried it.

garlic - improved stomach issues. Improved energy levels and clarity of thought. Made my breath stink :) I'd certainly recommend POISers to give it a try.

krill oil - worked similar to my favorite orange syrup cod liver oil but at a multiple of the price. This was the only one of the more exotic fish oils that delivered a similar benefit to the cod liver oil product mentioned so I've considered using it more. I'm also interested in seeing if Astaxanthin delivers longer term benefits. The brand I used was superba and I plan on trying it again next month. 

vitamin C - works a treat at improving energy and mental clarity but you need to take it in very large quantities (several grams every day) AND avoid brands which have artificial sweeteners or colorings that can actual impede attentiveness. I'm talking about "sunset orange" colorings, aspartame etc. Do your homework.

zinc - worked in combination with magnesium and b6. Delivered modest improvements to stamina and focus by itself.

magnesium - similar to Zinc. Made me slightly calmer but that may have been a placebo effect.

zma - works for me BUT works best when taken at night rather than in the morning or during the day.

tripterygium wilfordil - never tried it.

zymnese - never tried it.

chlorella - take it with spirulina. Improves mental clarity and in combination with vitamin c (taken within 30 minutes of each other) I can literally feel my POIS symptoms clearing after an O.

lecithin - appears to have some benefit but only in combination with fish oils (or piracetam, see below)

folic acid - take it as part of a multi-vitamin but I noticed a benefit to energy levels and memory when I took it with vitamin C alone, without any other supplementation.

This highlights a general problem. Few people take one supplement by itself. Synergistic effects are likely as nutrients used in one biochemical reaction may cause depletions of others that are replenished by other supplementation. Ratios and complimentary supplementations appear important but are very difficult to capture in surveys.

spirulina - taken with Chlorella. These 2 together really give me a boost of energy and reduce the tension and fuzzy feeling that, for me, define POIS.

quercetin - never tried it.

Other things I've tried
piracetam - gives a very temporary lift if I don't take the other supplementations. Effects can last for over a day if I take ZMA, fish oils, niacin and lecithin. These effects include increased creativity and recollection of past events. Piracetam gave me hope that when we figure out the "cure" it can help POISers glue their brains back together. 

However, piracetam only gives the good and expected results for me when I'm feeling good from the other supplement regime I discussed here and with jferr. Without those supplements, it doesn't give me the boost that many users report.

Tyrosine - gives a short term but powerful boost of energy and focus. For example, I can treble (or more) my average tetris score after about 1g of tyrosine. It's definitely having an effect and I've seen several studies to back this up.

Onto the problems :) Effects fade if I try to take it every day and it makes me feel quite aggressive by the 3rd - 4th day.  It seemed so promising when I took it first and I still think it could be useful as part of a post O protein supplementation regimen. However, I feel I get enough of these proteins in my chlorella & spirulina.

taurine - similar to tyrosine, this gives a short term boost of cognition and energy. I found there's less long term fade and I may restart experimentation with this.

So that's a potted summary of about 5 years of treating my body as a chemistry lab. Anything to get over the dreaded POIS symptoms.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15347 on: 15/01/2012 11:38:53 »
Surveys often don't link the user to his vote, so this is a slight touch I'm going to give to ours. Of all the surveys that we will undertake, an important one will be a POIS profile per individual.

Later when we do other surveys, each individual will be linked to his answers so that we can always extract information relative to a certain profile.

The survey programs that are available (free) usually have a limited set of evaluation criteria and usually just say, "to this question 47.3% andswered 'yes' and 52.7% answered 'no', useful, but limited.

But once the database is available, we can use different programs to extract the same answers but related to a specific "user profile", "Individuals that suffer mostly physical symptoms don't respond to niacin, and those with cognitive problems do" for instance.

So it should be interesting.

Offline badgerstripe

• View Profile
« Reply #15348 on: 15/01/2012 12:02:44 »

high grade omega 3s
salmon and seafood
sweet potato
wobenzym
bromelain
papain
multi-enzyme@ nuzyme
spinach
chocolate
B3, B3, B6, B1, B12
vitamin D
olive leaf extract
saw palmetto
garlic
krill oil
vitamin C
zinc
magnesium
zma
tripterygium wilfordil
zymnese
chlorella lecithin
folic acid
spirulina
quercetin

It's difficult for me to separate pie-in-the-sky treatments from the real ones, based on forum posts.  I keep hearing about a page that aggregates all of our treatments but I've never seen it.  And even if there were a list, I'm not sure that's enough.  We desperately need a way to vote on all this stuff. 
It's also possible that not everybody's POIS is the same. That we may all have problems but that the root cause may be different or subtly different for some of us.

Of your list here's what worked / didn't work for me. I've no problem in entering this into a survey but getting the survey categories and responses right might be non-trivial :)
Some of these things work well in combination, some can have an effect taken by themselves but it's improved in combinations. It's not as simple as saying 1 thing works or doesn't.

Your list.
high grade omega 3s - Define "high grade". I found the seven seas orange syrup stuff with vitamin C to be the best for me. I also like their "high strength" product.  I tried expensive brands with exotic extraction and purification processes for EPA and DHA and found them to be less effective than the relatively cheap Seven Seas product. The oil worked to reduce inflammations and acne dramatically. Helped with clarity of thought in combination with niacin but NOT taken at the same time where it seemed to reduce the flush.

salmon and seafood - Salmon and Tuna are pretty good. But nothing like the effects of the aforementioned cod liver oil.

sweet potato - ate quite a bit of this. I didn't discern any effects.

wobenzym - never tried it.
bromelain - never tried it.
papain - never tried it.
multi-enzyme@ nuzyme - benefitted digestion issues.
spinach - no discernible effect.
chocolate - helped with concentration but increased acne. Couldn't continue with "chocolate therapy" for that reason.

B3, B3, B6, B1, B12 - B3 (Niacin) and B6 have worked wonders but  the others don't do much for me when taken independently. I take the others at ~100-200% RDA levels (normally in a multi-vitamin) .

vitamin D - by itself, no effect. In cod liver oil I noticed an effect. Whether any of this could be attributed to Vit D, I don't know.

olive leaf extract - no effect.
saw palmetto - never tried it.

garlic - improved stomach issues. Improved energy levels and clarity of thought. Made my breath stink :) I'd certainly recommend POISers to give it a try.

krill oil - worked similar to my favorite orange syrup cod liver oil but at a multiple of the price. This was the only one of the more exotic fish oils that delivered a similar benefit to the cod liver oil product mentioned so I've considered using it more. I'm also interested in seeing if Astaxanthin delivers longer term benefits. The brand I used was superba and I plan on trying it again next month. 

vitamin C - works a treat at improving energy and mental clarity but you need to take it in very large quantities (several grams every day) AND avoid brands which have artificial sweeteners or colorings that can actual impede attentiveness. I'm talking about "sunset orange" colorings, aspartame etc. Do your homework.

zinc - worked in combination with magnesium and b6. Delivered modest improvements to stamina and focus by itself.

magnesium - similar to Zinc. Made me slightly calmer but that may have been a placebo effect.

zma - works for me BUT works best when taken at night rather than in the morning or during the day.

tripterygium wilfordil - never tried it.

zymnese - never tried it.

chlorella - take it with spirulina. Improves mental clarity and in combination with vitamin c (taken within 30 minutes of each other) I can literally feel my POIS symptoms clearing after an O.

lecithin - appears to have some benefit but only in combination with fish oils (or piracetam, see below)

folic acid - take it as part of a multi-vitamin but I noticed a benefit to energy levels and memory when I took it with vitamin C alone, without any other supplementation.

This highlights a general problem. Few people take one supplement by itself. Synergistic effects are likely as nutrients used in one biochemical reaction may cause depletions of others that are replenished by other supplementation. Ratios and complimentary supplementations appear important but are very difficult to capture in surveys.

spirulina - taken with Chlorella. These 2 together really give me a boost of energy and reduce the tension and fuzzy feeling that, for me, define POIS.

quercetin - never tried it.

Other things I've tried
piracetam - gives a very temporary lift if I don't take the other supplementations. Effects can last for over a day if I take ZMA, fish oils, niacin and lecithin. These effects include increased creativity and recollection of past events. Piracetam gave me hope that when we figure out the "cure" it can help POISers glue their brains back together. 

However, piracetam only gives the good and expected results for me when I'm feeling good from the other supplement regime I discussed here and with jferr. Without those supplements, it doesn't give me the boost that many users report.

Tyrosine - gives a short term but powerful boost of energy and focus. For example, I can treble (or more) my average tetris score after about 1g of tyrosine. It's definitely having an effect and I've seen several studies to back this up.

Onto the problems :) Effects fade if I try to take it every day and it makes me feel quite aggressive by the 3rd - 4th day.  It seemed so promising when I took it first and I still think it could be useful as part of a post O protein supplementation regimen. However, I feel I get enough of these proteins in my chlorella & spirulina.

taurine - similar to tyrosine, this gives a short term boost of cognition and energy. I found there's less long term fade and I may restart experimentation with this.

So that's a potted summary of about 5 years of treating my body as a chemistry lab. Anything to get over the dreaded POIS symptoms.

I know the "my body as a lab" feeling. Thanks for all the information you posted. The one that I KNOW definitely halfs the POIS recovery time is Zinc supplements of 15 - 30 mg daily. Most of my lab stuff centred around food allergies some years ago. My experimentation with Niacin is ongoing and i will post results when i have a few attempts with Niacin. I sometimes go for more than a week without an O just to replenish myself so it may be  a few weeks yet. Thanks for all the work people are putting into this, on here and the other forum  :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15349 on: 15/01/2012 18:31:59 »

badgerstripe wrote, " Thanks for all the work people are putting into this, on here and the other forum  :) "

And thank YOU, badgerstripe, for your terrific contributions!

Demo

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15349 on: 15/01/2012 18:31:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums