The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6447036 times)

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #15350 on: 15/01/2012 20:28:33 »
Surveys often don't link the user to his vote, so this is a slight touch I'm going to give to ours. Of all the surveys that we will undertake, an important one will be a POIS profile per individual.

Later when we do other surveys, each individual will be linked to his answers so that we can always extract information relative to a certain profile.

The survey programs that are available (free) usually have a limited set of evaluation criteria and usually just say, "to this question 47.3% andswered 'yes' and 52.7% answered 'no', useful, but limited.

But once the database is available, we can use different programs to extract the same answers but related to a specific "user profile", "Individuals that suffer mostly physical symptoms don't respond to niacin, and those with cognitive problems do" for instance.

So it should be interesting.

That's a great point caveman. What format will the survey be published in? CSV file format works very well with most statistical analysis packages like minitab for example (or even the Excel stats stuff).
Would be interesting to do some hypothesis testing on the data.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #15351 on: 15/01/2012 20:45:43 »
Not a problem, demografx. Thank you for the response. My bloodwork was as follows:
Name, Result, Reference.

Follicle Stimlating Hormone:  1.6mIU/mL, (1.3 - 19.3) Lower End

Jon, i remember my FSH hormone was also in the lower end!

Interesting, Quasar. Were you able to get the levels back to normal? And, If so, What did you to fix it?

I don't know yet. But i guess not. My Dr. didn't comment on it. I've found this:

"FSH is a key component in male fertility because it stimulates the growth of sperm. When a man has a high level of FSH, it means that the testicles are not producing enough of a hormone called inhibin, which keeps FSH levels in their normal range. This generally indicates that there has been a testicular failure, either a partial testicular failure or a full testicular failure. Treatment for elevated FSH levels in men, therefore, really requires treating the cause of the testicular failure, as opposed to actually treating the levels of FSH directly."

And this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/151903-reasons-for-a-low-fsh-in-males/
« Last Edit: 15/01/2012 20:51:07 by Quasar »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15352 on: 15/01/2012 22:02:46 »
that was very helpful, Kurtosis.  Thank you.  I agree that treatments sometimes work in combinations and have dependent factors and whatnot, but all I was getting at is imagine if we had that data you just provided, but for 50 members, compiled and presented in an easily digestible format.  It'd be amazing!  Sounds like the forum is headed in that direction, which is very, very exciting!  Thanks for your hard work Daveman. 

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15353 on: 15/01/2012 23:16:10 »
Surveys often don't link the user to his vote, so this is a slight touch I'm going to give to ours.
Sounds fantastic Daveman, thanks.

That's a great point caveman.
This has to be my favourite typo! I'm sure no offence was intended :-)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15354 on: 16/01/2012 05:22:15 »

Offense??? I thought he WAS a caveman!

: - )

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15355 on: 16/01/2012 11:53:10 »
The other point I want to repeat is frozen semen can't trigger the immune reaction. So for a scientist it may help to identify what is the element in semen causing the Pois which is active in fresh semen but inactive in frozen semen.
That would be an interesting approach to trying to find the culprit B_Jim, thanks. However, unless you have the evidence of a research study on this, I think we should be cautious making such a black and white statement about the inability of frozen semen to trigger the immune reaction. I have looked on poiscenter forum and seen that Habibou self-administered an injection of frozen semen and didn't get a reaction (this does seem significant as it was 1:1 - i.e. not diluted - I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TRIES THIS!). However he did get a reaction with a 1:40000 diluted dose of fresh semen administered by a doctor. Vandermolen has reported being told by his docs that fresh semen is better (though has also said treatment with frozen works but more slowly).

I think we can't say frozen definitely doesn't work yet, as we don't have enough data or adequately refined techniques and controls in place, just that fresh semen does work and frozen may not. The way things are frozen might be important - eg. how fast/slow is the freezing, do the contents separate out at all somehow during the process etc).

However, if you have more evidence do let me know, I have only read Habibou's case (which I admit is significant!) and just a few other forum posts on this..
« Last Edit: 16/01/2012 11:55:04 by mellivora »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15356 on: 16/01/2012 11:56:38 »
Surveys often don't link the user to his vote, so this is a slight touch I'm going to give to ours. Of all the surveys that we will undertake, an important one will be a POIS profile per individual.

Later when we do other surveys, each individual will be linked to his answers so that we can always extract information relative to a certain profile.

The survey programs that are available (free) usually have a limited set of evaluation criteria and usually just say, "to this question 47.3% andswered 'yes' and 52.7% answered 'no', useful, but limited.

But once the database is available, we can use different programs to extract the same answers but related to a specific "user profile", "Individuals that suffer mostly physical symptoms don't respond to niacin, and those with cognitive problems do" for instance.

That's a great point caveman. What format will the survey be published in? CSV file format works very well with most statistical analysis packages like minitab for example (or even the Excel stats stuff).

That's Daveman by the way :)!

Yes it has CSV output, can be imported into excel etc. I usually don't do too much myself in that area, like to work directly on the database for WEB output.

But it's great if there are people like you available to run it through excel scripts or other analysis programs, all the more minds working on the possibilities.

The program has it's own WEB reporting tool, pretty basic, just says how the group responded. But I will be writing an interface to be able to do more extensive cross tabulation and extraction of more specific information (ej. treatment efficacy for instance referenced to specific POIS profiles ).

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15357 on: 16/01/2012 12:17:34 »
For the "auto-immune-sufferers" who have not result with supplemants like Niacin or with diet improvements, maybe they could try to wash and eliminate the semen just after orgasm. There is maybe a little chance to reduce symptoms.

The other point I want to repeat is frozen semen can't trigger the immune reaction. So for a scientist it may help to identify what is the element in semen causing the Pois which is active in fresh semen but inactive in frozen semen.

I have nothing new to say. 150mg of niacin don't give me flush reaction. Low (20-40mg) or average (50-150mg) dose of niacin can't stop my flu-like symptoms. Maybe it helps my cognitive symptoms.
But once again, I can strongly confirm that when I avoid or reduce flu-like symptoms during Day-0, I have few or less cogntive symptoms the days after (Day-1, Day-2....).

I'm really interested in your case B_Jim, and cases like yours where niacin doesn't work. You took the 150mg niacin on an empty stomach? Let's say at least 3 to 5 hours after any food? This is very important. Also without flush, also very much less likely to have any effect.

I read that those who most need niacin, require more. You need to find a dose that gives the flush (using of course the type of niacin that GIVES flush, there are kinds that don't). And you must assure not having eaten for at least 3 hours, if it is difficult for  you to get a flush, you should probably wait 5 hrs.

Don't give up right yet, I think it's important to finish the tests, especially on someone who hasn't had success. IF you finally manage to get a flush and still have bad POIS afterwards, then we would need to investigate what's going on in your case (and those who aren't relieved by niacin).

For those for which niacin works, it usually is VERY effective. So it must point to something. And then if we can see why on some it does not work, I think we would be getting very close to a breakthrough answer.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #15358 on: 16/01/2012 16:06:39 »
About my social anxiety and reduced cognitive function stemming from POIS:

Against my better judgement I've been on Venlafaxine (Effexor), an SNRI, for Social Anxiety for a week and 3 days now and it's only made me feel tired, weak, and zoned out and gave me some heart pains which I've never ever experienced before. Since I've already tried Prozac(which also just made me tired) and after spending a lot of time reading up on drug studies and user reports of SSRIs and SNRIs I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. My next approach will be to use Klonopin (a benzo that actually reduces my anxiety and seems to work for the majority of other people) and hopefully I can get some Adderall since I've read a lot of good user reports on it's ability to enhance cognitive energy and function over a short period of time. I would take both only 2 times a week at most to avoid developing a tolerance since tolerance develops within days or weeks in most of the reports I've read.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #15359 on: 16/01/2012 20:14:39 »
About my social anxiety and reduced cognitive function stemming from POIS:

Against my better judgement I've been on Venlafaxine (Effexor), an SNRI, for Social Anxiety for a week and 3 days now and it's only made me feel tired, weak, and zoned out and gave me some heart pains which I've never ever experienced before. Since I've already tried Prozac(which also just made me tired) and after spending a lot of time reading up on drug studies and user reports of SSRIs and SNRIs I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. My next approach will be to use Klonopin (a benzo that actually reduces my anxiety and seems to work for the majority of other people) and hopefully I can get some Adderall since I've read a lot of good user reports on it's ability to enhance cognitive energy and function over a short period of time. I would take both only 2 times a week at most to avoid developing a tolerance since tolerance develops within days or weeks in most of the reports I've read.
you should try a tricyclic antidepressant

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15360 on: 16/01/2012 22:45:45 »

After decades of testing tricyclics, SNRI's, SSRI's and the like, I find that ADHD stimulants now work best for me. I fought, resisted the suggestions, but when I complied I was very pleasantly surprised. Still am, about 6 years later!

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #15361 on: 16/01/2012 23:28:00 »

I think we can't say frozen definitely doesn't work yet, as we don't have enough data or adequately refined techniques and controls in place, just that fresh semen does work and frozen may not. The way things are frozen might be important - eg. how fast/slow is the freezing, do the contents separate out at all somehow during the process etc).

However, if you have more evidence do let me know, I have only read Habibou's case (which I admit is significant!) and just a few other forum posts on this..

If  you say skinprick, all in one word, it gets through.
Thanks, I understand my mistake  ;D

I received an intradermal test from Dr. Nguyen and Dr. Bewtra (so did CCconfucius). The semen was not diluted at all. I froze the sample about a week before the test and thawed it in the fridge a few hours before the test and kept it cool on the way to the doctor's office. I believe keeping the sample fresh is important. Anyway, for treatment, the doctor may need to dilute the sample, but for my testing (and for CCconfucius) it wasn't.

evidence frozen semen still causes reaction.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #15362 on: 16/01/2012 23:38:59 »
Just had 3 O's after previously not having POIS the last time I had the O's.  This time it struck me like lightning.  I had them last night, and in my brain I swear I go temporarily psychotic during the night, I can't sleep and have really messed up dreams.  I did not take niacin yesterday, as I said that gives me some temporary pois type reaction.  It has been about 18 hours and it is about gone, at least the terrible mood part.

I also drank a lot a few days ago and had a really, really good night's sleep.  I think beer is actually beneficial to my POIS other than hard alcohol.  Does beer help anybody else?

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #15363 on: 16/01/2012 23:43:00 »
I think this idea should support semen allergy more. 
I dont know if somebody brought it up or not.

If doctor waldinger is wrong and all men are allergic to semen and our problem is not semen allergy.  then when i get my injections i shouldnt get pois symptoms to, i should just get pure allergy symptoms like people with other allergies.

at 1;100 i got pois symptoms from shot.
hoping waited till he was out of pois to do allergy test, and allergy test gave him pois.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #15364 on: 16/01/2012 23:49:59 »
**Edited  (better picture a few posts below)

BTW, I'm just trying to get to a better understanding of how we relate to our pains in POIS, can some people just please take a look at this picture and explain where you mentally feel your pois.  I know some people feel it all throughout but mine follows a distinct pattern.  (#10 is the front of the brain)

For me, my usual POIS starts at between the numbers 37, 19, somewhere around there.  That is where I can say I feel the "imbalance" or whatever is taking place.  Not really familiar with the brain so this is probably not the best picture but I think if the cerebellum was there (below #37) than I would say it is between 37 and the cerebellum.
« Last Edit: 17/01/2012 02:27:43 by GoingCrazy »

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #15365 on: 17/01/2012 00:51:12 »
BTW, I'm just trying to get to a better understanding of how we relate to our pains in POIS, can some people just please take a look at this picture and explain where you mentally feel your pois.  I know some people feel it all throughout but mine follows a distinct pattern.  (#17 is the front of the brain)

For me, my usual POIS starts at between the numbers 38, 44 and 45, somewhere around there.  That is where I can say I feel the "imbalance" or whatever is taking place.

I think that the brain fog or the imbalance is felt at this area, just behind my eyes - i can feel it on that point : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodmann_area_11 . Interesting what the wiki says: "Brodmann area 11 is one of Brodmann's cytologically defined regions of the brain. It is involved in planning, reasoning, and decision making."

Oh, and 38 suits better i think. Area 11-38. Brodmann's area 38
Associational cortical area in the anterior pole of the temporal lobe; this temporal area is related to networks in the amygdala and orbital prefrontal cortex that govern personal and social behavior, emotion, and decision making.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodmann_area_38
« Last Edit: 17/01/2012 00:56:20 by observercenter »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15366 on: 17/01/2012 01:04:45 »

That's Daveman by the way :)!

Yes it has CSV output, can be imported into excel etc. I usually don't do too much myself in that area, like to work directly on the database for WEB output.

But it's great if there are people like you available to run it through excel scripts or other analysis programs, all the more minds working on the possibilities.

The program has it's own WEB reporting tool, pretty basic, just says how the group responded. But I will be writing an interface to be able to do more extensive cross tabulation and extraction of more specific information (ej. treatment efficacy for instance referenced to specific POIS profiles ).

The spelling correcter inserts "caveman" automatically if I type daveman in lower case. Sorry about that, I forgot I'd switched that feature on on my new laptop as I've been busy traveling around the globe on a holiday.
Exporting to csv would be fine.

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #15367 on: 17/01/2012 01:11:43 »
I think this idea should support semen allergy more. 
I dont know if somebody brought it up or not.

If doctor waldinger is wrong and all men are allergic to semen and our problem is not semen allergy.  then when i get my injections i shouldnt get pois symptoms to, i should just get pure allergy symptoms like people with other allergies.

at 1;100 i got pois symptoms from shot.
hoping waited till he was out of pois to do allergy test, and allergy test gave him pois.
Dr. Waldinger said when i visited him that non-POIS sufferers do not experiment any kind of reaction to an allergy test.

I felt when i have an orgasm - since the very first moments - like someone is injecting me the brain fog( I could not explain better, sorry) in an area of my brain behind my eyes. I could feel the beginning of this "injection" if i have taken niacin 1 hour before the orgasm - but the feeling stops there and i do not develop any brain fog. I felt exactly the same when the allergist of Dr.Waldinger injected me a dilluted concentration of my own semen - They in fact told me that i should get mild POIS from the injection - something that did not happen because i had taken the niacin!. I hope my experience serves.
« Last Edit: 17/01/2012 01:17:12 by observercenter »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #15368 on: 17/01/2012 01:21:12 »
Dr. Waldinger said when i visited him that non-POIS sufferers do not experiment any kind of reaction to an allergy tes

do you any way know why he did not put that in his paper

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #15369 on: 17/01/2012 01:28:51 »

I did not know that he did not put that in his paper. I think he will explain this better in the POIS documentary of ABC television, because the journalist asked one question about this.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #15370 on: 17/01/2012 02:24:16 »
This is probably the better picture to put up.

Again as soon as I "O" I experience it in my cerebellum, I have almost no doubt.

Observercenter you say that as soon as you "O" you can feel it behind your eyes?
That area is sort of where mine "migrates" to from the cerebellum and than disappears.  It used to be located in that area heavily but is not really there any more.  I think it is some sort of neurotransmitter deficiency as when I take caffeine, it usually goes away.  I think the caffeine boosts some sort of neurotransmitter function in the area.
« Last Edit: 17/01/2012 02:30:17 by GoingCrazy »

Offline Mutant Man

• View Profile
« Reply #15371 on: 17/01/2012 09:54:00 »

I did not know that he did not put that in his paper. I think he will explain this better in the POIS documentary of ABC television, because the journalist asked one question about this.

How do I find this documentary...

Offline Mutant Man

• View Profile
« Reply #15372 on: 17/01/2012 10:05:08 »

If  you say skinprick, all in one word, it gets through.
Thanks, I understand my mistake  ;D

I received an intradermal test from Dr. Nguyen and Dr. Bewtra (so did CCconfucius). The semen was not diluted at all. I froze the sample about a week before the test and thawed it in the fridge a few hours before the test and kept it cool on the way to the doctor's office. I believe keeping the sample fresh is important. Anyway, for treatment, the doctor may need to dilute the sample, but for my testing (and for CCconfucius) it wasn't.

evidence frozen semen still causes reaction.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe thawed cells do tend to disintegrate as a consequence of the freezing process.

Offline Mutant Man

• View Profile
« Reply #15373 on: 17/01/2012 10:21:44 »
Anyone got any potentially effective treatments I can try? So far, Niacin incoporated wellman doesn't work on me. Should I try independent niacin by itself? Loratadine does only as little help as my POIS is predominantly physical....

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #15374 on: 17/01/2012 11:04:08 »
How do I find this documentary...

You must wait 2,3 months because it is going to be broadcast on that date.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15374 on: 17/01/2012 11:04:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length