The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6454939 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #15425 on: 23/01/2012 17:31:56 »

He replied just now. To me, this is very exciting POIS news!!

Dear Demografx,

We are doing parallel [fMRI of Orgasm] studies in men currently.

Barry R. Komisaruk, Ph.D.

« Last Edit: 23/01/2012 17:38:57 by demografx »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15426 on: 23/01/2012 17:46:19 »

I'm looking forward to seeing the people at Hopkins and I will most definitely provide updates.  I wasn't too keen on cognitive behavioral therapy either, however, the neurologists tell me that the results actually alter the brain.  And that this is supported by functional MRI's.  Quite honestly, given that the Imitrex they have prescribed has provided much needed and unexpected relief, I am more than willing to follow their recommendations.

BY ALL MEANS. The important thing is that it's giving you a break from this "Hell", which I can totally relate to.

It's very exciting because it seems to have potential for adding another very solid link to the POIS puzzle.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15427 on: 23/01/2012 17:55:51 »
So....I was in a busy cafe with my laptop today and thought I could get away with checking poiscenter.com, expecting the usual innocuous homepage with poiscenter.com in tiny letters to appear. But no.....
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (P.O.I.S.)

!!!!!!
Nice work on the new homepage Daveman thanks!  ;) ( no seriously, its coming together well)
I did my best to look like a doctor who studies such things!

Thanks a lot for writing to Dr. Komisaruk Demo, great to know he is studying fMRI's in men and that we are in touch with him.

And pharoah its terrific to know you have got the attention of such a well qualified panel of experts.

« Last Edit: 23/01/2012 17:58:55 by mellivora »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15428 on: 23/01/2012 19:06:39 »
So....I was in a busy cafe with my laptop today and thought I could get away with checking poiscenter.com, expecting the usual innocuous homepage with poiscenter.com in tiny letters to appear. But no.....
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (P.O.I.S.)

!!!!!!

Nice work on the new homepage Daveman thanks!  ;) ( no seriously, its coming together well)
I did my best to look like a doctor who studies such things!

Yes! It's shaping up GREAT! Thanks, daveman!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15429 on: 23/01/2012 21:44:51 »

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #15430 on: 23/01/2012 22:46:42 »
Sumatriptan is structurally similar to serotonin (5HT), and is a 5-HT (types 5-HT1D and 5-HT1B[7]) agonist. The specific receptor subtypes it activates are present on the cranial arteries and veins. Acting as an agonist at these receptors, Sumatriptan reduces the vascular inflammation associated with migraine.

Is inflammation causing a run out of serotonin and then tryptophan and then vitamin B3 ?

B3 is also involved as a precursor in the histamine chain. And could well be like Victor says, if you have the pre-cursor and can't use it, the solution is one, but if you are low in production of the pre-cursor the solution is the other.

Diabetes is that way. There are two types of insulin, one in which the body lacks insulin, and another where the body has enough but doesn't know how to use it. Two completely different solutions, same final result.

So in POIS, I think that's what we are looking at.

It's incredible what we can do as lay-people, isn't it!!??

What they think happens in a migraine is that the vessels at the base of the head constrict, this causes the vessels higher up in the head to dilate as a compensatory mechanism to counteract for the decrease blood flow, this dilation causes the headache.  The triptians selectively bind to 5ht receptors and cause the dilated vessels in the upper head to constrict, which relieves the headache.  I get post-coital headaches and used to use sumatriptian, which worked great for the headaches and pois in general.  The only problem was that the more I used sumatriptian the less effective it became, I also started to get more and worse headaches from over use(rebound headaches).  Even if I did not get a postcoital headache, I would still take the sumatriptian and it would kick my pois in the ass pretty good.   I would recommend using the Imitrex sparingly to treat only your worst postcoital headaches.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #15431 on: 23/01/2012 23:30:27 »

What they think happens in a migraine is that the vessels at the base of the head constrict, this causes the vessels higher up in the head to dilate as a compensatory mechanism to counteract for the decrease blood flow, this dilation causes the headache.  The triptians selectively bind to 5ht receptors and cause the dilated vessels in the upper head to constrict, which relieves the headache.

Interesting, sounds exactly like my pois.  How it starts in the lower back of my head than slowly goes up towards the front.  I've been reading about imitrex and one post said something about the aspirin,caffeine combination, (excedrin migraine) and that actually helped more than the imitrex for the migraine.  But I definitely do want to try imitrex when I have symptoms.  POIS may be different than a migraine.

The only thing I need to find relief from is my restlessness after an O (my stage 1), I can't fall asleep and feel like I've been running a marathon throughout my sleep.  Stage 2 for me is like a rebound affect from stage 1, I can barely function, feel down.  Stage 2 is when excedrin migraine is most helpful.  But I'd like to find something for stage 1 since I already found a solution for stage 2.
« Last Edit: 23/01/2012 23:52:04 by GoingCrazy »

Offline mrraba

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15432 on: 24/01/2012 03:02:24 »
Relief of brain blockage in day one and two after O.  It helps a lot.  It is almost immediate.

newbielink:http://www.vitaglo.com/nr73500.html [nonactive]

Cheapest price i found. 

Have used it for years to unblock cognotive issues.  Helps with socializing, mood, etc.  It does tend to lower my sugar though and I feel the urge to eat animal protein.  I eat chiken.  It relieves the urge to eat after imuplus.  I do not recommed other brands.  They do not work for me.

Supposed to start slowly.  Like with 1/2 a packet.  See what it does for you. Initially getting some soreness under the arms is expected.   Immune system kind of kicks in.  It can make some allergies worse.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15433 on: 24/01/2012 06:07:09 »

Thanks a lot for writing to Dr. Komisaruk Demo, great to know he is studying fMRI's in men and that we are in touch with him.

He's very much interested in studying POISers' vs non-POISers' Orgasm (before, during, after) - fMRI's of the brain.

We are discussing how to do this financially (Rutgers' fMRI's cost $300/hour). Maybe with NIH (through his leadership). Maybe through NORD? (He will be invited to submit a POIS Research proposal).

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #15434 on: 24/01/2012 11:19:08 »
Thanks Martin. Omega3 caps (sardines and maquerels oil ? )didn't help me. I want to try astaxanthin but it's expansive
Same for me. In my case it can be the dosage: I took fish oil (sardines) containing 500mg DHA + 750MG EPA / teaspoon - I took 1/day==> no effect. I was far from the 2100mg DHA (+ phospholipids) in 150gr salmon. DHA is good for memory, increases serotonin, (prevents alzheimer?),... It should always be taken with anti-oxydants. Too much DHA is not good, I don't know the maximum dosage. It seems farmed salmon contains less astaxanthin than wild salmon.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15435 on: 24/01/2012 13:18:21 »
Doctors are saying that vitamin D as in fish and other diet elements requires sunlight to fully integrate into the body.

Obviously excess must be avoided but they are saying we are tending to go to extremes that other way, especially with children.

In winter I think we should look for a source of ultra-violet, in combination with the high-D foods or even vitamin supplements. Maybe not necessary to develop a full tan, but one 5 min session per week.

Also, especially for those who are finding that niacin has little effect, try bolstering it with Vitamin-C and iron. These specifically help in the production of 5-htp which is a precursor to serotonin. And or if we are low in those elements could explain partly why niacin isn't working.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15436 on: 24/01/2012 13:31:07 »
Can those who go to SMF go through the new main page?

Go to the page and bookmark it. It's one step more in getting there, but for one it helps our Google positioning (the most important) and anyways we will be adding more and more of interest to that page. Very shortly we will have surveys up and running and I want to add look and muscle to the database section.

Note the new URL is http://poiscenter.com/index.php  Note the PHP extension, not HTM.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15437 on: 24/01/2012 13:34:30 »
There's a new SPAM filter incorporated into SMF. So this means that new members that are not on SPAMmers databases will be allowed in right away.

Great load off of me, but better for you as well, as you don't have to go through the approval phase.

If you apply and don't see yourself enabled right away, let me know here via PM and I'll get you through.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15438 on: 24/01/2012 13:45:59 »
BTW, page content of the new WEB page is principally taken directly form posts on the SMF forum. Once every once and a while, (few days, week, not sure), posts will be selected that seem particularly key to our cause. These will be posted as "headline" on the  main page.

We obviously want to expose NSF here and the compendium too, but we don't have dynamic code access to be able to automatically extract posts.

We will be showing an dynamic updating list of all recent posts on the SMF forum too, for space reasons, it will show title date/hour and username. We ask that hopefully you can enter attractive and pertinent post subjects for all new posts instead of repeating the same title that is already there. Up to you though, if you want it to attract attention on the WEB page, something original is better.

We will be showing active members on the chat as well. As well as key article and poster references, breaking news in POIS land etc.
« Last Edit: 24/01/2012 13:49:42 by daveman »

Offline badgerstripe

• View Profile
« Reply #15439 on: 24/01/2012 13:57:22 »
I don't want to wait until late 2013 or 2014 before we can get dedicated (NORD-funded) POIS research under way. At the moment, that is the best we are heading for.  We've got 2 months to get to our NORD target this year and save ourselves from waiting this long.

We've had some very generous donations recently but some of these are to be made over a period of months. I'm certainly no less grateful to the donors for this fact but it does mean the current NORD pledge tally can be misleading as it uses the total that will be donated by 2013, not by March this year. We are still currently not in a good position to make the March deadline this year. To me it looks like we're half way at best.

After we reach our $33500 target, it'll likely be some months before a researcher is appointed to work on POIS through NORD. It may be some time after this that work finally begins. I believe I'm right in saying that we really need to make the March 2012 deadline (2 months time) if we're going to see any benefits from NORD funded research within the next two years. There isn't a quick fix. But it'll be quicker if we begin now. Also, things will cost more in years to come. $33500 might not be the minimum required in future years, it might be more.

We have some things that help some of us (eg. Niacin, immunotherapy) at the moment. But these are not cures so far or 100% effective treatments. And we still don't know what causes POIS. We have much better theories than we used to and even evidence for some of them but all POIS sufferers are not the same and what works for some doesn't work for others. We need to push this if we're going to help everyone. We need to know what POIS is, what causes it, what varieties of POIS there are and use this to  get as close as possible to being cured/ being POIS-free. For us and for future sufferers.

2 months is all we have. So far I have pledged $500. On the condition that we make the March 2012 deadline, I'm upping my pledge to $1500. (seriously, no clappy applause gifs for this please, lets just get that total)

$50 just donated. lets hit that target!

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15440 on: 24/01/2012 19:17:24 »
Fantastic badger, thankyou!

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15441 on: 24/01/2012 19:18:13 »
Please check out my second post (Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 12:47:44 PM) on the following thread on poiscenter and read the replies that follow:

http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=222.15

We'd like to soon try some fundraising for the NORD grant using the website reddit.com and would appreciate your suggestions based on the information provided by Nightingale, myself and CCconfucius on the poiscenter thread. Give us your ideas!
« Last Edit: 24/01/2012 19:22:16 by mellivora »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15442 on: 24/01/2012 20:24:12 »
« Last Edit: 25/01/2012 16:55:12 by demografx »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15443 on: 24/01/2012 20:47:43 »
Doctors are saying that vitamin D as in fish and other diet elements requires sunlight to fully integrate into the body.

Obviously excess must be avoided but they are saying we are tending to go to extremes that other way, especially with children.

In winter I think we should look for a source of ultra-violet, in combination with the high-D foods or even vitamin supplements. Maybe not necessary to develop a full tan, but one 5 min session per week.

Also, especially for those who are finding that niacin has little effect, try bolstering it with Vitamin-C and iron. These specifically help in the production of 5-htp which is a precursor to serotonin. And or if we are low in those elements could explain partly why niacin isn't working.
I can vouch for niacin being most effective when I take iron and vitamin c. The combination of these is a great mood booster, for me in any case. Re. the fish oil, I'm not convinced that it's just about getting large amounts of EPA and DHA in our diets. Salmon is undoubtedly effective but some expensive fish oils with very high amounts of epa and dha per capsule have less effect for me than cheaper cod liver oil and krill oil, which is expensive but contains less EPA / DHA. There's something else at play here which seems to effect how easily and quickly the omega 3 can be used by our brains. This is not obvious from the cursory chemical analysis details shown on most supplements.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #15444 on: 24/01/2012 22:01:25 »
I find the Niacinamide works for me very well and this is comes without much of a flush, sometimes I feel a small one, but then again I take 1000mg... this almost gets rid of the brain fog and flu..... BUT!!!!! I need to find something to help with the DRIVE.... I have no drive, I just want to sit and do nothing, I have no enthusiasm at all.... I am self employed, I have a line up of paying contracts, I am totally out of money, so you would think you could work at these paying contracts..... nope, I can not find any motivation to do almost anything..... its very bad.....

I have been reading this forum and have not noted much about fixing this part of the problem.

PS.

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #15445 on: 24/01/2012 22:24:52 »
I find the Niacinamide works for me very well and this is comes without much of a flush, sometimes I feel a small one, but then again I take 1000mg... this almost gets rid of the brain fog and flu..... BUT!!!!! I need to find something to help with the DRIVE.... I have no drive, I just want to sit and do nothing, I have no enthusiasm at all.... I am self employed, I have a line up of paying contracts, I am totally out of money, so you would think you could work at these paying contracts..... nope, I can not find any motivation to do almost anything..... its very bad.....

I have been reading this forum and have not noted much about fixing this part of the problem.

PS.

I just had an orgasm just 30 min ago, and i took the niacin (flush type) and i do not feel any brain fog, and i do not experience that lethargy that you are talking about. I had experienced it in the past: Brain fog, lethargy, tiredness, cognitive impairement, void of any emotion... but the niacin has stopped each one of these symptoms. Maybe you should give the flush type one opportunity. Have you tried it before?
« Last Edit: 24/01/2012 22:40:59 by observercenter »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15446 on: 25/01/2012 12:15:57 »

PS.

Interesting, niacin, at least for me, also fixed the drive. I've got lots of it. I don't know if that might be a difference between niacinimide and niacin or not. Also look at boosting with vitamin C and iron! See if that helps.

BTW when do you take your niacinamide, one hour before as well? Did you start out with 1000mg or less, and did you try with niacin before, if so what was your dose with that (as a reference)?.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15447 on: 25/01/2012 17:31:32 »

Help raise awareness about POIS

Rare Disease Day (RDD) is an international awareness-raising event, and there are various ways for any of us to become involved.  You'd be helping to publicize the need for more research on rare diseases -- AND -- you'd have the opportunity to specifically bring POIS to the public's attention.

It takes place this year on February 29th -- a rare "leap day".

(1) In the USA, NORD is the official sponsor.  Go to their RDD website to find out if there's something you'd like to participate in --
http://rarediseaseday.us/
In particular, check out the "Meet the Community"page.  (http://rarediseaseday.us/meet-the-community/).

(2) NORD's sister-organization based in Paris -- EURORDIS -- is the official sponsor for those of you from Europe, the UK, the Ukraine, South America, and Latin America). Please feel free to use the EURORDIS RDD day site, www.rarediseaseday.org. The EURORDIS site translates to six languages.

Or, if you prefer, you may all use NORD's website.

Rare Disease Day is not a profit-making event for NORD or EURORDIS.  It's strictly an awareness-raising event.

And who needs awareness-raising more than we do?
« Last Edit: 26/01/2012 18:24:13 by demografx »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15448 on: 25/01/2012 20:37:21 »
The first survey is available on SMF, but it won't let you in if you're not on the list (both for SPAM reasons and survey control reasons). This frst survey will help to develop POIS goups and will associate you with one of them. So it's important that the biggest number of us fill it out.

Later I'll make a second identical one to be filled out by volunteers, who will go through the 150 or so members that had previously filled in data, and which we have in a Word doc, and fill in their data.

The reason for the second one is that it won't automatically associate the person's name who entered the data to that data, but will use the manually entered username of the survery. This second one in conjunction with the first one will give us a powerful database to be used in isolating remedial effects per POIS type.

Very exciting, but we will need your whole hearted cooperation. It's an important prelude to our research program.

A third survey to come soon is a niacin related survey. This will also be able to be cross-referenced by POIS group.

I hope to generate the list either today or tomorrow so that we'll be ready to roll soon.
« Last Edit: 25/01/2012 20:39:17 by daveman »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15449 on: 25/01/2012 23:27:11 »
Wonderful, daveman!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15449 on: 25/01/2012 23:27:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length