The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6443710 times)

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #15450 on: 25/01/2012 23:54:55 »
I find the Niacinamide works for me very well and this is comes without much of a flush, sometimes I feel a small one, but then again I take 1000mg... this almost gets rid of the brain fog and flu..... BUT!!!!! I need to find something to help with the DRIVE.... I have no drive, I just want to sit and do nothing, I have no enthusiasm at all.... I am self employed, I have a line up of paying contracts, I am totally out of money, so you would think you could work at these paying contracts..... nope, I can not find any motivation to do almost anything..... its very bad.....

I have been reading this forum and have not noted much about fixing this part of the problem.

PS.

Interesting, niacin, at least for me, also fixed the drive. I've got lots of it. I don't know if that might be a difference between niacinimide and niacin or not. Also look at boosting with vitamin C and iron! See if that helps.

BTW when do you take your niacinamide, one hour before as well? Did you start out with 1000mg or less, and did you try with niacin before, if so what was your dose with that (as a reference)?.

So I will add IRON  + C, any dosage ideas? brands?

and keep with my niacin-amide (no flush) I will see how that works, the niacin-amide on its own gets rid of most of the issues except the lack of drive and no emotions.... which I hope will be fixed with IRON + C

If this does not work I will go for full flush and of course decrease my dose from 1000mg to 100mg or less to start....

I could start a fire with 1000! :-)

PS.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #15451 on: 26/01/2012 00:00:48 »
I was unable to modify my last message, tried twice!

I am also under much stress from work and family so this may also be the reason the motivation and emotions are really broken, I am not depressed I have hope......

PS.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15452 on: 26/01/2012 02:39:34 »
Lack of emotions and drive have long been two key symptoms of POIS for me and stress seems often to make cognitive POIS symptoms worse. I can definitely identify with your situation POIS-SUFFERER. I'm afraid I don't have concrete suggestions for you other than to try to limit the stress but I know that is easier said than done. Niacin hasn't worked for me so far but I'm glad you have had at least partial success. Good luck. Its good to read you have hope. With the progress we've made over the last year there's more reason for us all to have hope. Sorry I can't offer more but I hope the iron + C helps...
According to NHS site, the recommended daily allowance of iron is 8.7mg/day for men.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Iron.aspx
Adults need 40mg vitamin C per day.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-C.aspx
As you may know, vitamin C isn't stored in the body so one can generally take more of this. A popular brand of multivitamin supplement here in the UK (called Centrum) has 5mg Iron and 100mg vitamin C. Vitamin C supplements with far higher doses (eg. 1000mg) are available.

« Last Edit: 26/01/2012 02:44:28 by mellivora »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15453 on: 26/01/2012 03:10:28 »

I am not depressed I have hope.

POIS-SUFFERER, thank you for the message of hope.

Your message may bring that same message of hope to other POIS sufferers who read this.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #15454 on: 26/01/2012 03:40:14 »
I am not depressed I have hope.
POIS-SUFFERER, thank you for the message of hope.
Your message may bring that same message of hope to other POIS sufferers who read this.

Just like countless others on here, POIS has made a complete shambles of our lives, I have lost at least 10 years that I know of, and I mean lost!

I am still not better, but I am not as bad as I was at one time, and I have gone through depression, prior to POIS, and I know 100% what it means to say "I am hopeless", I am down, I am out, but I still think there are sunny days to come.

PS.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #15455 on: 26/01/2012 03:43:02 »
Lack of emotions and drive have long been two key symptoms of POIS for me and stress seems often to make cognitive POIS symptoms worse. I can definitely identify with your situation POIS-SUFFERER. I'm afraid I don't have concrete suggestions for you other than to try to limit the stress but I know that is easier said than done. Niacin hasn't worked for me so far but I'm glad you have had at least partial success. Good luck. Its good to read you have hope. With the progress we've made over the last year there's more reason for us all to have hope. Sorry I can't offer more but I hope the iron + C helps...
According to NHS site, the recommended daily allowance of iron is 8.7mg/day for men.
As you may know, vitamin C isn't stored in the body so one can generally take more of this. A popular brand of multivitamin supplement here in the UK (called Centrum) has 5mg Iron and 100mg vitamin C. Vitamin C supplements with far higher doses (eg. 1000mg) are available.

We have Centrum in Canada also.... UK/Canada a lot of similarities :-)

So all I need is a good multi then, I will check to make sure what I use has at least the daily recommened and go from there....

Would extra IRON be bad?

Also has the NIACIN+IRON+C mix also help with the joint and muscle pain, this too is bothersome, and is part of my POIS.

PS.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #15456 on: 26/01/2012 03:52:56 »
Just another small note.

I also take 1mg ATIVAN (a benzo) every 24-48 hours when things get rough, these pills are magic, they are not a cure but a bandaid. BUT they make me feel like myself again, but I take them only when I feel really out of control and not on a regular basis as they are very addictive. They did for a long time help with the motivation but not so much anymore.

For anyone who is really on the edge of maybe feeling "crazy" over POIS, talk to your DR about these, they are a good way to get over the bump when used properly and again only on a as needed basis when you literally feel yourself falling apart.

They were first used during my first very large depression and hence anxiety attack ridden life around 14 years ago, when my first daughter died, without them I probably would not be here today, they allowed me to continue the fight.

POIS followed this, but I have never really been able to pin down exactly when it started.....

PS.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15457 on: 26/01/2012 11:03:08 »
I was unable to modify my last message, tried twice!

I am also under much stress from work and family so this may also be the reason the motivation and emotions are really broken, I am not depressed I have hope......

PS.

Since the "upgrade" the quick edit (the small icon in the corner) doesn't work, but "modify" above next to quote does, or at least has worked.

We'll make a note to the mods if they're not already on it.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15458 on: 26/01/2012 11:13:45 »

We have Centrum in Canada also.... UK/Canada a lot of similarities :-)

So all I need is a good multi then, I will check to make sure what I use has at least the daily recommened and go from there....

Would extra IRON be bad?

Also has the NIACIN+IRON+C mix also help with the joint and muscle pain, this too is bothersome, and is part of my POIS.

PS.

First, If I take a multi-vitamin with "the works", it makes me worse, often much worse. So limit the vitamins to just what is working. Look for a C+Iron combo, preferably with more like 500mg C. The 5mg iron sounds good. This will keep the "tests" focused in a specific area.

The "C plus Iron" is directed at better serotonin synthesis, so probably won't help the muscles and joints.

And Mel if the niacin isn't working for you, it would be a fantastic test if you could take the C+Iron as well with niacin to see if that makes a difference. I'd like to start isolating the situation for those where niacin doesn't work.

Maybe my levels of C and iron are normally good, so the effectivity of niacin is good, and in some others, their normal C+Iron are low? A couple of tests and we should know.

I imagine that the c+iron wiuld be taken daily, whereas the niacin just 1 hr before orgasm as always.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15459 on: 26/01/2012 12:51:52 »
And Mel if the niacin isn't working for you, it would be a fantastic test if you could take the C+Iron as well with niacin to see if that makes a difference. I'd like to start isolating the situation for those where niacin doesn't work.

Maybe my levels of C and iron are normally good, so the effectivity of niacin is good, and in some others, their normal C+Iron are low? A couple of tests and we should know.

I imagine that the c+iron wiuld be taken daily, whereas the niacin just 1 hr before orgasm as always.

Daveman, you are right that C+iron only instead of multivits would keep the tests more specific. I find your statement that multivits made you worse interesting. Perhaps you are getting too much of something in that case. But are you saying you tried niacin whilst on mulltivits and the niacin didn't work so well or that your symptoms used to be worse when you were on multivits (before you discovered niacin).

I have recently been taking multivits (not the case in my previous niacin tests) - I do this from time to time (probably just once or twice a year) when I know I haven't been eating as much fruit and veg as I normally do. And I plan to test niacin again in next couple of days. This time I plan to test in the morning because I haven't tested a good flush-O combination at this time of day and also it'll be empty stomach. It'll likely be my last test before I move on to levocetirizine dihydrochloride (antihistamine tested by Joe Burger). I suspect taking multivits could affect one's niacin flush threshold as they contain niacin.

We've also seen one or two cases where taking niacin regularly hasn't helped people much but when regular doses were stopped and and niacin was taken before O only, the niacin became more effective. So multivits containing a regular smallish dose of niacin might take the edge off the effectiveness of the pre-O dose in a similar way. Or it could just raise one's tolerance to Niacin meaning more is needed for a flush. (Or it could mean less is needed for a flush because the body is already quite well saturated with Niacin although we have read how one can build a tolerance to Niacin)

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15460 on: 26/01/2012 13:38:31 »
The list is ready for SMF surveys. For those who want to start, please PM me either here or on SMF for your user/pass to access the survey.
Thanks

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15461 on: 26/01/2012 13:45:39 »

Daveman, you are right that C+iron only instead of multivits would keep the tests more specific. I find your statement that multivits made you worse interesting. Perhaps you are getting too much of something in that case. But are you saying you tried niacin whilst on mulltivits and the niacin didn't work so well or that your symptoms used to be worse when you were on multivits (before you discovered niacin).

I have recently been taking multivits (not the case in my previous niacin tests) - I do this from time to time (probably just once or twice a year) when I know I haven't been eating as much fruit and veg as I normally do. And I plan to test niacin again in next couple of days. This time I plan to test in the morning because I haven't tested a good flush-O combination at this time of day and also it'll be empty stomach. It'll likely be my last test before I move on to levocetirizine dihydrochloride (antihistamine tested by Joe Burger). I suspect taking multivits could affect one's niacin flush threshold as they contain niacin.

We've also seen one or two cases where taking niacin regularly hasn't helped people much but when regular doses were stopped and and niacin was taken before O only, the niacin became more effective. So multivits containing a regular smallish dose of niacin might take the edge off the effectiveness of the pre-O dose in a similar way. Or it could just raise one's tolerance to Niacin meaning more is needed for a flush. (Or it could mean less is needed for a flush because the body is already quite well saturated with Niacin although we have read how one can build a tolerance to Niacin)

My bad reaction with multis was almost a year before even knowing about niacin. If I would take them, my POIS would be several time worse. I didn't seem to have any other effects from the vitamins otherwise.

Most multi-vits have only about 15mg of niacin, not enough I don't think, to effect the tolerance level. I don't know, but cerial probably has that amount!

On you next test with niacin in the morning, 100mg should give you a good flush. My flushes in the morning have been strong, but more tolerable for some reason. If you ca,n try to take the vitamin C+iron for a few days before to get the levels up and without the multis.

Happy "O"ing!
« Last Edit: 26/01/2012 13:47:15 by daveman »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #15462 on: 26/01/2012 13:52:32 »
Re. the fish oil, I'm not convinced that it's just about getting large amounts of EPA and DHA in our diets. Salmon is undoubtedly effective but some expensive fish oils with very high amounts of epa and dha per capsule have less effect for me than cheaper cod liver oil and krill oil, which is expensive but contains less EPA / DHA. There's something else at play here which seems to effect how easily and quickly the omega 3 can be used by our brains. This is not obvious from the cursory chemical analysis details shown on most supplements.
Kurtosis, thank you for bringing your experience with supplements. Did you try a fish oil with approximately 2gr DHA and 400mg EPA (same as in one serving of salmon)? DHA and EPA compete with each other so it's sometimes better to take them separately. It's explained here: http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/treat/T408369.html
In the same page they reported a study saying 1.8g/day of DHA increases insulin sensitivity.
Fenugreek and garlic act on insulin sensitivity as well.
Of course salmon contains a lot of other nutrients acting alone or together, it's not necessarily DHA the effective ingredient.
« Last Edit: 26/01/2012 13:56:22 by martin88 »

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #15463 on: 26/01/2012 14:40:50 »
First, If I take a multi-vitamin with "the works", it makes me worse, often much worse.

Daveman, I found the exact Same thing years ago when I was just randomly taking vitamins for POIS (which I didn't know was POIS at the time). I ended up feeling absolutely terrible.

Re: Haven't posted in awhile so wanted to give a quick update on my Niacin. I am continually taking Niacin before O (300mg) and am finding it still beneficial, usually roughly in the order of 70-80% plus or minus 20% - Meaning sometimes it can be less, and sometimes can be close to 100% effective.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15464 on: 26/01/2012 15:26:48 »
First, If I take a multi-vitamin with "the works", it makes me worse, often much worse.

Daveman, I found the exact Same thing years ago when I was just randomly taking vitamins for POIS (which I didn't know was POIS at the time). I ended up feeling absolutely terrible.

Re: Haven't posted in awhile so wanted to give a quick update on my Niacin. I am continually taking Niacin before O (300mg) and am finding it still beneficial, usually roughly in the order of 70-80% plus or minus 20% - Meaning sometimes it can be less, and sometimes can be close to 100% effective.

Has 300 mg been pretty normal for you. And that gives you a moderate flush?

Each one seems to have their levels, and the flush is sort of the guideline. 300 would have me pretty fried!  :P

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15465 on: 26/01/2012 15:27:06 »
Boring as it seems, I wanted to share my continuing good luck with forced-nap/sleep-with-2-Benadryl. Yesterday lasted several hours and "cured" my current POIS. (Testosterone is still 80% of my own personal and successful treatment for POIS).
« Last Edit: 26/01/2012 21:19:44 by demografx »

Offline POISon

• View Profile
« Reply #15466 on: 27/01/2012 06:04:08 »
I see a lot of people on here mentioning how niacin has helped them.I had both positive and negative effects with it,but I eventually had to quit do t the negative side effects.I used to take 5 hour energy drinks all the time,and noticed that  niacin was listed as an ingredient. I felt those drinks were very helpful in giving me energy after an O as well helping clear the brain fog. 5 hour energy was great for a while until I noticed after a year of taking it I was getting dots which looked like acne,but only smaller all around my face. It was so bad it was leading to scarring.Figured out the repeated niacin flushes were causing these bumps Guess it has to do with to Rosacea. Anyways(except for permanent scarring) that stopped as soon as I stopped taking them. So warning to people with sensitivity to rosacea when taking niacin. I've read that niacin is more dangerous to the liver than other vitamins so that's also something to be cautious about.

I haven't read yet of anyone taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine,but I have been very pleased after taking it.I was taking it lieu of creatine which was giving me bad side effects for more energetic workouts and was surprised to find  it is helping me tremendously with brain fog and my attention disorders which are made far worse after having an O. My memory is horrible for my age and this supplement is also helping me with that better than any supplement I have taken and I've probably taken hundreds. I'm hoping the effects last since I have only been on this supplement for about 2 months,but so far life and my ability to handle an O have been much easier. I take it with Alpha Lipoic Acid and Biotin which seem to form some sort of synergy in helping Acetyl-L- Carnitine perform its magic better.

Offline prister

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15467 on: 27/01/2012 09:19:25 »
So, is the cure for POIS found?
What is the best medication for it till now?

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15468 on: 27/01/2012 10:20:44 »
Re. the fish oil, I'm not convinced that it's just about getting large amounts of EPA and DHA in our diets. Salmon is undoubtedly effective but some expensive fish oils with very high amounts of epa and dha per capsule have less effect for me than cheaper cod liver oil and krill oil, which is expensive but contains less EPA / DHA. There's something else at play here which seems to effect how easily and quickly the omega 3 can be used by our brains. This is not obvious from the cursory chemical analysis details shown on most supplements.
Kurtosis, thank you for bringing your experience with supplements. Did you try a fish oil with approximately 2gr DHA and 400mg EPA (same as in one serving of salmon)? DHA and EPA compete with each other so it's sometimes better to take them separately. It's explained here: http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/treat/T408369.html
In the same page they reported a study saying 1.8g/day of DHA increases insulin sensitivity.
Fenugreek and garlic act on insulin sensitivity as well.
Of course salmon contains a lot of other nutrients acting alone or together, it's not necessarily DHA the effective ingredient.
I've tried high strength fish oils with approximately a 3:1 ratio of DHA to EPA and I took about 35 ml / day giving about 1.6g of Omega 3 / day. They had a benefit but the Krill oil seems to be working better. I'm now down to taking

- 50mg niacin every day with an extra 100 every 2nd day,
- my Quest multi-vit and
- 1.5g of krill oil / day
- On top of that I take about 3g of Vitamin C and my ZMA every second night.

If I have an O I also take some chlorella & spirulina (one powder supplement).

I have minimal POIS symptoms anymore. I actually feel happy as I've been getting incrementally better since I started taking niacin and then figured out vit c would improve its effectiveness.

Prior to that I'd been going downhill for almost a decade, the lost years :(

I've stopped taking the other fish oil and lecithin as the krill oil which has less Omega 3 (about 20% of what I previously took) seems to be more effective and works best by itself. So it's not just volume of EPA & DHA. I can even start to believe that those claiming krill oil has an noticeable effect on Adult ADHD as  it's in phospholipid form and hence better absorbed into cells as required. There has to be some reason why much smaller quantities appear more effective (for me anyway). And then there's astaxanthin of course.

However, a key component for me is vitamin c. When I feel fatigued during the day I dissolve 1/2 gram of effervescent tablet in a small glass of water and it gives me a lift.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #15469 on: 27/01/2012 11:57:13 »
I think i just had an involuntary positive skin p-r-i-c-k test. Yesterday i shaved my lower abdomen area. Then, some hours later (3-4h.) i had an O., and left the semen for 5 minutes, and that area became full of red rashes...And some rashes lasted 24h.

Usually, the skin is more sensitive after shaving it, so i don't know if it's a normal reaction or not. I mean, if you apply irritating products on a recently shaved area, it will also cause rashes...But this time the rashes looked to me too much bumpy to be a normal reaction...

I'd like to know if people with no-Pois also get this kind of rashes with semen, but that's difficult to know...

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #15470 on: 27/01/2012 14:22:07 »

Has 300 mg been pretty normal for you. And that gives you a moderate flush?

Each one seems to have their levels, and the flush is sort of the guideline. 300 would have me pretty fried!  :P

Hey Daveman, funny you should mention this. I have been taking 300mg for this whole bottle. Then just yesterday I opened a new bottle, same brand.......300mg had me fired like a lobster. So...I'm guessing the initial batch I got wasn't great.....not sure of the reason......Going to try to cut the dosage down to 100mg or 200mg and see how I go.

I am very wary though....I O'ed without Niacin a few weeks back and........It took me a good 2-3 weeks to recover from that completely.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #15471 on: 27/01/2012 16:23:38 »
Usually, the skin is more sensitive after shaving it, so i don't know if it's a normal reaction or not.

I wondered if we can simulate a prique-test by using a shaver and removing epidermis on a short area of the skin, and then put semen.

I suppose we could do a homemade p-r-i-c-k test with a shaver, or the tip of a needle...But then, we should compare the reaction with Histamine i think, and also i think the semen concentration should be different.

Anyway, we should contact an allergist...better one that specializes in autoimmune disorders or investigation of new disorders. I'm quite shy, so i won't go to my family allergist and ask for that...and then some different nurse...

But yeah, i think it's an important step to know if we are positive or negative to the skin p-r-i-c-k test. I hope i'm positive.
« Last Edit: 27/01/2012 16:25:12 by Quasar »

Offline POISon

• View Profile
« Reply #15472 on: 27/01/2012 16:43:38 »
Interesting that people mentioned krill oil. Vitacost brand was by far the most effective for me,though ironically lowest amount of Epa and Dha compared to the others. The other brands just made me feel very drowsy while I felt more more mentally alert and focused while on the Vitacost brand as well as being in a far better mood. Interesting fact is that my libido seemed to skyrocket initially while on it and then it just tanked. I had no feeling for women whatsoever which is good in a sense in that I had no desire to "choke the chicken" so to speak.Unfortunately the downside of this is that it will obviously screw up your relationships with women. I don't want to be lonely the rest of my life.

I've gone off Krill oil since I found Acetyl -L- Carnitine an antioxidant,which actually help increase fatty acid metabolism in the brain without destroying libido. In fact I relate far better with women on it(and people in general) and my mild social anxiety is also pretty nonexistant since it has a calming effect while also helping me with verbal skills. The only side effect I've experienced is sometimes it makes me feel a little too confident,like I can conquer the world which happens I think if I take too much.I've never been good with taking required supplement doses,because if I'm feeling really good I want too take more and feel great,which as a result will often cause the reverse of what I was hoping for.This supplement has definitely helped me,hoping it helps someone else so I look forward to seeing a post where someone benefited from it.Its not a cure,but it does lessen the effects of an O,and the day after an O symptoms are markedly reduced.By the third day(sometimes second) after O all my symptoms are gone,whereas before I could feel negative effects for about a week and a half after an O

Cheers,
Matt
« Last Edit: 27/01/2012 17:00:52 by POISon »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15473 on: 27/01/2012 17:14:57 »
I have bought niacin 300mg (inositol hexanicotinate) and astaxanthin 4mg. I hope it will work.

I looked up  inositol hexanicotinate and it is a flush free type of niacin but it is not niacinimide either which we have also shown to work. Search Wiki with  inositol hexanicotinate.

I guess you could try it, but since you personally haven't had success with niacin, it would be best to test first with something we are familiar with.

Or better said, if you don't have success with this, don't give up on niacin until you've done the prescribed tests with "real niacin"
« Last Edit: 27/01/2012 17:32:23 by daveman »

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15474 on: 27/01/2012 17:39:15 »
I have bought niacin 300mg (inositol hexanicotinate) and astaxanthin 4mg. I hope it will work.
Good luck b_jim! Its good to know someone is trying astaxanthin. Thanks for the update and for testing!

Some interesting posts lately - I feel I must be getting enough vit C but I might try it on this POIS cycle.

I've gone off Krill oil since I found Acetyl -L- Carnitine
Acetyl-L-Carnitine: POIson does this work with all your cognitive symptoms? Does it help fatigue at all?

interesting here that Acetyl-L-Carnitine is said to reduce HPA axis hyperactivity although this isn't the most scientific looking website. We've had a few discussions about HPA-axis in the past I think
http://www.articledestination.com/Article/Why-we-use-Acetyl-Carnitine-/4050

Other websites on A-L-C that I haven't read through fully:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/carnitine-l-000291.htm

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=acetyl%20l%20carnitine&source=web&cd=14&ved=0COUBEBYwDQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fntp.niehs.nih.gov%2Fntp%2Fhtdocs%2Fchem_background%2Fexsumpdf%2Fcarnliposupp.pdf&ei=dd8iT66eONGXhQeWo6zUBA&usg=AFQjCNHqK0YamI3JepLwKWTLKRIa4yLtHg&cad=rja
« Last Edit: 27/01/2012 17:42:00 by mellivora »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15474 on: 27/01/2012 17:39:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length