The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6448522 times)

Offline martin88

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #15500 on: 29/01/2012 20:19:33 »
I don't know who's in charge of the pledge list (B_Daniel?)- Would you please add my name for 400$?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: 29/01/2012 20:27:36 by martin88 »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #15501 on: 29/01/2012 20:33:55 »
I don't know who's in charge of the pledge list (B_Daniel?)- Would you please add my name for 400$?
Thanks.

Everybody let give a magnitude 10 standing ovation to martin88

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #15502 on: 29/01/2012 20:34:59 »
Quote from: Porke
Same issue here! I also cannot tolerate very hot showers. They normally make me feel very foggy / lethargic the entire day.

Quote from: demografx

Same here!!

We may be on to something.I thought about mentioning my intolerance for hot showers when I first went on this site over a year ago,but I thought it may be just me on here that had this problem and it may not be related to POIS for most people here since I couldn't find anyone else mentioning the same problem. Glad to know I'm not alone! Whats odd is that being out on a very hot day for hours doesn't seem to be much a problem for me,but taking a 10 minute hot shower can make me miserable for days after. I'd be curious to know how many people on this forum have Pois and sensitivity to Hot showers/bath.If the majority do, this information might be of great value once we get the funds for Nord to do research.
You know your problem could be related to chlorine. I have the same problem as you & the a few others here. I have a number of chemical sensitivities and chlorine was one that I had a high reaction to when tested at a environmental clinic. I can tell the difference between tap water and purified & filtered water. I don't drink water out of the tap anymore. I feel really sick if I swim in a chlorinated swimming pool and especially so if I use a spa. The hotter you have your shower the more chlorine you inhale and absorb through your skin.
If you still want to have your hot showers in winter and you want to reduce feeling not so good for the rest of the day, you might want to buy a shower filter that takes care of chlorine. Read up on chlorine and its effects on health, on some reputatable web sites and see what you think.

I also feel wrecked on hot humid days and my pois symptoms are not as bad for me in winter, in this case though I thought my heat intolerance was related to my low hgh levels.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15503 on: 29/01/2012 21:33:50 »
Quote from: Porke
Same issue here! I also cannot tolerate very hot showers. They normally make me feel very foggy / lethargic the entire day.

Quote from: demografx

Same here!!

We may be on to something.I thought about mentioning my intolerance for hot showers when I first went on this site over a year ago,but I thought it may be just me on here that had this problem and it may not be related to POIS for most people here since I couldn't find anyone else mentioning the same problem. Glad to know I'm not alone! Whats odd is that being out on a very hot day for hours doesn't seem to be much a problem for me,but taking a 10 minute hot shower can make me miserable for days after. I'd be curious to know how many people on this forum have Pois and sensitivity to Hot showers/bath.If the majority do, this information might be of great value once we get the funds for Nord to do research.
You know your problem could be related to chlorine. I have the same problem as you & the a few others here. I have a number of chemical sensitivities and chlorine was one that I had a high reaction to when tested at a environmental clinic. I can tell the difference between tap water and purified & filtered water. I don't drink water out of the tap anymore. I feel really sick if I swim in a chlorinated swimming pool and especially so if I use a spa. The hotter you have your shower the more chlorine you inhale and absorb through your skin.
If you still want to have your hot showers in winter and you want to reduce feeling not so good for the rest of the day, you might want to buy a shower filter that takes care of chlorine. Read up on chlorine and its effects on health, on some reputatable web sites and see what you think.

I also feel wrecked on hot humid days and my pois symptoms are not as bad for me in winter, in this case though I thought my heat intolerance was related to my low hgh levels.

Acronym, thank you! Maybe there _is_ a future for hot showers for some of us!! : - )

Offline POISon

• View Profile
« Reply #15504 on: 30/01/2012 01:37:16 »
POISon,

That's exactly what the surveys are going to be all about!
ted.

Awesome! I just completed mine. I echo demografx's thanks on your part for helping surveys get started!

It looks like not everyone has problems with hot showers, it seems like some even enjoy them. I read about chlorine being a possible problem as well as manganese which can cause brain damage if inhaled  from the steam that hot showers/baths produce. I still think my body is just overreacting to the heat. Hot showers feel so addictingly good(especially in the winter) while I'm taking them only to feel like hell when I'm out of the shower for up to a week. I thought about trying  the filters,but the chance they don't work,and I feel miserable again is enough for me to just stick with tepid or even cold.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15505 on: 30/01/2012 06:55:03 »
Thanks.

I haven't been perfect in getting all these pledges so shoot me a PM if I miss one - but I got yours Martin!

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #15506 on: 30/01/2012 17:12:55 »
Acronym has an interesting point about chlorine and hot showers. Perhaps the heat causes the chlorine to be better absorbed by the skin or something. I don't have a problem with hot showers and my family uses well water so I doubt we have much chlorine in our water.

Also I completed my survey at the poiscenter cover page.

Offline Oneeyedguy

• View Profile
« Reply #15507 on: 30/01/2012 18:48:13 »
I just posted this on the Thunderclap Headache After Orgasm thread on NSF. I think it'll interest people who suffer from POIS; my own problems began 5 years ago with 'pure' orgasm headaches but I'm now noticing ongoing after-effects, i.e. not just lingering headaches but brain fog and abdominal pain.

You may not like this: I'm beginning to think orgasm headaches might have something to do with a heart defect. A very common heart defect; ever heard of patent foramen ovale, or PFO? I'm guessing not; I hadn't come across it until I started looking for possible causes of my sex headaches. Well, it's a 'hole in the heart', but not the most serious type. Apparently, 1 in 4 people have a PFO! But they don't all have orgasm headaches... Please bear with me on this, bit of medical stuff first.

You can look this up in detail - newbielink:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002102/ [nonactive] or newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrial_septal_defect [nonactive] - but basically the foramen ovale is a channel in the heart between the two upper chambers - the right atrium and the left atrium. Why is this hole needed? Well, before birth, oxygenated blood from the mother via the umbilical cord flows towards the baby's heart along veins, which enter the right atrium of the heart. It doesn't then take the normal route via the right ventricle and the lungs, because before birth your lungs are full of fluid, so the pressure in that whole 'loop' to the lungs and back to the left side of the heart (and then out to the body), is too high. So there's a hole with a sort of cat-flap of tissue - the foramen ovale - that lets it flow straight through.

When you're born, you cry and your lungs start working. The pressure in the loop drops and blood now flows via the lungs, picking up oxygen, back to the left side of your heart. The cat-flap closes and, over the next few weeks, seals up. Well, it does for 3 out of 4 of us. In the others, the flap remains open - or at least openable. This is what's meant by 'patent', so: patent foramen ovale.

It sounds serious but, for most people, it isn't. In healthy people, the blood pressure in the left atrium is generally higher then the right, so the flap stays closed. People who have dangerous, life-threatening 'holes in the heart', 'blue babies' etc, are usually suffering from much more serious defects. So what makes a PFO ever open up? Well, anything that changes the pressures. Serious lung disease can cause pulmonary hypertension, i.e. high blood pressure in the 'loop' via the lungs. this will raise pressure in the right atrium. Alternatively, anything that raises pressure in the left atrium - e.g. plain old high blood pressure - can cause blood to flow from left to right. If this keeps on happening, the right side of the heart gets overloaded with extra blood and this can cause pulmonary hypertension. When this gets high enough for the pressure on the right side to be higher than the left, the flow of blood (known as a 'shunt') reverses and you're back to a R-to-L shunt situation.

OK, enough anatomy. What problems are caused by this, and what does it have to do with orgasm headaches or illness? Well, you've got de-oxygenated blood crossing over and getting pumped round the body. In chronic cases, this causes cyanosis (blueness), fainting, kidney problems, heart failure. But what if the high pressure is temporary? It's well known that increasing the internal pressure of the chest cavity (known as a Valsalva manoeuvre) can cause this, and in fact it's part of the diagnostic procedure for detecting a PFO. The patient is asked to exhale against a closed glottis, i.e. holding their breath. Then tiny bubbles are injected into their bloodstream and an echocardiogram looks for the bubbles passing through from one side of the heart to the other.

Temporary Valsalva manoeuvres include straining during defecation, coughing, sneezing, clearing your ears during a flight, even laughing or just bending over. And - sometimes - having an orgasm. There are lots of references in this forum to tensing, straining, involuntary breath-holding during sex and masturbation. What if some of us are 'opening up the cat-flap' during sexual activity? Heart-rate is already increased, blood pressure is already up. If this sounds far-fetched, read this - newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migraine_surgery [nonactive] - on the possible link between PFO and migraine headaches. Many people have had their PFOs closed by insertion of an 'occluder' via a catheter, and reported reduced or banished migraines - but the picture isn't that clear; others have had the procedure without success, some have even reported worse migraines. Anyway, here's a quote:

In certain scenarios, such as when a person sneezes, the pressure in the left atrium decreases and the flap over the still-present foramen ovale opens temporarily. When this happens, blood is able to bypass the lungs and therefore the filtration process in the pulmonary system. There are at least 4 theories as to how this defect leads to migraines.

Toxic circulation:
Early speculation regarding this link centered on the idea that, because blood bypasses the detoxification process in the lungs and reenters the circulatory system uncleaned, this "toxic blood" may contain various substances that then trigger migraines. There is speculation that one of these substances is 5-HT, more commonly known as serotonin.

Micro-emboli:
There is speculation that microemboli that develop in the venous system pass through the PFO and are able to reach the central nervous system. The paradoxical embolism then reaches the cortex, triggering cortical spreading depression, a phenomenon that leads to migraines.

Genetic linkage:
One study has found a genetic linkage between migraines and PFOs. It was found that PFOs have an autosomal dominant pattern of inheritance, and that migraine with aura appears to be coinherited in some families.

Atrial natriuretic peptides:
It has been shown that the changes in interarterial pressure that occur with a PFO cause an increase in atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP), and that the ANP concentration in migraineurs with aura is lower than the concentration in control subjects. A study has shown that when the cortical spreading depression phenomenon was induced in mice, ANP was expressed in the brain. As well, ANP levels are elevated in patients with a PFO. All together, this suggests a possible correlation between ANP concentration and migraine with aura.

One further thought: during the build-up to orgasm and immediately afterwards, the body produces a lot of hormones and neurotransmitters. They must be secreted into veins; how else can a blood-borne chemical from a particular gland reach the bodily circulation except via veins to the right side of the heart, then via the lungs, then out to the whole body via the left side of the heart? Is it possible that some of these substances bypass the lungs via a PFO in the period leading up to and immediately following orgasm, especially when a Valsalva-type event is taking place? And is it possible that their concentration is thereby increased? - after all, the lungs are recognised as one of the sites where breakdown of such chemicals occurs. My prime suspect is still norepinephrine; it's known to spike around orgasm and it's known to cause severe headaches and abdominal cramps - my symptoms exactly. And heart palpitations; while it's normal for one's heart to beat more strongly during sexual activity, I've noticed mine thudding away really heavily during very headachey orgasms.

And maybe that's why propanolol sometimes works for orgasm headaches - it's a beta-blocker, it blocks the action of norepinephrine and epinephrine. I'm sure the picture isn't quite that simple. Maybe we just have increased levels of some of these hormones, and the PFO thing is a red herring. But one of the things that's baffled me on this forum is that some of us are healthy young men and women. I can understand older, less fit people getting symptoms during an exertional activity like sex, but there are people on here who work out in gyms - maybe there's a clue there? And why is the occurrence of headaches so frustratingly random? - just when you think you've found something that works, it stops working. Maybe the opening of a PFO is a bit unpredictable; maybe it's related to exertion, breath-holding. But there's a lot to chew over, and I'm sorry none of it is particularly inspiring; who wants to suspect a heart defect on top of an embuggerance like sexual headaches? But we're naked scientists, right? Unwilling, maybe, but we've got to go where our research, experiences, or hunches, take us.

Offline badgerstripe

• View Profile
« Reply #15508 on: 30/01/2012 19:56:14 »
Re hot baths, fatigue and headaches. As I previously mentioned, this condition runs in my family and have wondered at times if there is a POIS link so i thought i would post this for people to take a look at symptoms, hopefully not to alarm anyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycythemia_vera#Symptoms [nofollow]

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15509 on: 30/01/2012 21:19:19 »

Thanks, badgerstripe!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15510 on: 30/01/2012 21:20:26 »

•Shine the light on our experience!

•Show them what we know!

•We are the biggest union of POIS sufferers IN THE WORLD

•Let’s get what we know about medicine effectiveness

•And symptoms and nutrition into an organized database.

Surveys are HERE!

www.poiscenter.com/surveys.htm

Click on “POIS Profiles by Username”

Get your password via PM to Demografx or Daveman.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15511 on: 31/01/2012 00:46:04 »
I came across the following waterproof jacket. Look at the 5th colour option down on the right hand side. If its POISproof, I'm buying it!  8D
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/product/latok-trek-jacket/fuseaction/products.detail/code/11111044?cm_mmc=Google-_-GoogleBase-_-GoogleBase-_-11111044

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15512 on: 31/01/2012 01:14:57 »
Thanks.

I haven't been perfect in getting all these pledges so shoot me a PM if I miss one - but I got yours Martin!

Many Thanks for the great help, B_Daniel!

Demo

Offline HeyMonkey

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15513 on: 31/01/2012 01:49:59 »
I dont know if everyone's read this because its a little old, but will post anything to help
Its from Marcel Waldinger, Anyways here's the link have a look

newbielink:http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/17/us-semen-allergy-idUSTRE70G00D20110117 [nonactive]

I have the same symptoms but to be honest very shy and quiet about it, such a relief to find out im not the only one and thinking im going crazy beecause all my doctors I've approuched have no idea what im talking about! It is such a good feeling to know that there are other people on the same level as me and can understand the feelings I feel!

Offline HeyMonkey

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15514 on: 31/01/2012 01:59:15 »
@ Porke,
I usually get a horrible sore throat,severe fatigue,chest pains,brainfog, dizziness,heat flashes, extreme calm followed by anxiety, and muscle spasms,especially in the upper arm area after a hot shower. I think in our cases they are related. My theory is that heat and POIs trigger an immune response which triggers an over/under reaction of the HPA axis.People on this site may have different reasons,however for the way they act after having an O,since every bodies system is different. I'll have to take a look at that Myhill site,looks pretty interesting.

@ Habibou and people wishing to try Acetyl-L-Carnitine(Alcar)

I bought Swanson's premium brand 500 milligram Acetyl-l-carnitine and their Alpha Lipoic acid in the 600 mg.I would probably have gone with the 300 though since the 600 seems to strong. I'm not a rep nor do I own stock in Swansons,though I probably should since I buy so much from them,but they are usually the cheapest and also the best quality. Believe it or not,buying the right brand can mean  the difference between not noticing any effect, having side effects,or actually producing the positive effects you're looking for.

Once you start feeling a difference with the Alpa Lipoc and Acety-l-Carnitine combo you may find yourself wanting to drastically lower the dose of the Alpha  Lipoic acid or drop it completely and stick with just the Alcar. Thats what I'm doing right now and its working better for me since the Alpha Lipoic acid over time was adding agitation.I think once the body has accumulated enough Alcar in the bloodstream increasing its effect too much by continuing with the Alpha Lipoic acid will start to cause side effects such as moderate agitation.Again, that's my experience and everyone's body is different.

I Respect the doctor you are to yourself!

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #15515 on: 31/01/2012 15:58:42 »
Oneeyedguy, it looks like you could be right. I think someone posted an article here that discussed that heart abnormality causing orgasm headaches, but I didn't look much into it because I don't get headaches. I have however looked into taking propanolol for my social anxiety. I think you should take some time to do a careful search of this forum for discussions related to that heart abnormality and if you can't find any further discussion then you could go ahead and try propanolol.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15516 on: 31/01/2012 16:15:14 »
Thanks.

I think I've been keeping up the list in the meantime. The data is being entered into a formal database, although I still don't have the program ready that gives access and edit capabilities to it yet. Meantime I'm keeping up the list on the forum.

Thanks for adding Martin, and THANK Martin!

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #15517 on: 31/01/2012 17:57:31 »
@Oneeyedguy

I agree with you. Maybe not all of us, but i think some of us might have a PFO. I've got "migraine" and brain fog after O. I myself have some weird feeling after straining, or lifting too much weight, climbing stairs...So yes, the PFO test is one of those i want to get done in the near future. 

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #15518 on: 31/01/2012 22:57:27 »
Hey guys, It seems as if Imitrex has give our fellow member, Pharaoh, A great deal of relief. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it?

Offline onelongwar

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15519 on: 31/01/2012 23:46:48 »
Hello,

I've had wet dreams and POIS-type symptoms for two decades now, with each orgasm reducing my libido to the point where I've had to avoid relationships for the last 6 years.  I also suffer from CFS/ME symptoms worsening along the same timeline i.e. they are not separate in my case.

Two years ago I started seeing an orthodontist to get my jaw fixed.  When I was 12 years old I had a couple of teeth taken out and a fixed brace put on which reduced the size of my upper jaw.  Following this the symptoms began to grow, but I didn't stop to think that only surgery I'd ever had could have been the source of all my problems until I came across his facebook page.

Last year we started working on pulling part of my upper jaw forward, and for the first time ever I experienced a temporary release of the tension that I'd felt in my sacrum since my teens.  On the days that I had this release there would be no wet dreams!  I felt fluid draining through my sinuses and immediately knew I'd found the source of my sexual problems.  Unfortunately I've not been able to keep pulling my jaw in this way all the time as there are other complications with my jaw and health, but whenever I do return to it, the effect is there.

An aside:  when I'm not able to "pull" the fluid/tension away myself, I take Seriphos which reduces cortisol, and thus reduces wet dreams.  Wish I'd discovered it ten years ago: I wouldn't be a eunuch now if I had.

At the moment, it looks like I have another couple of years work in store to get my jaw sorted....hopefully I'll then have a shot at some sort of life: relationships, career etc.

An article about my dentist:
newbielink:http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/health/article-23753592-how-a-dental-brace-could-cure-ms-migraines-and-paralysis.do [nonactive]

His site:
newbielink:http://mecfs.com/ [nonactive]

Someone else doing the jaw pulling found exactly the same sexual connection I did:

newbielink:http://www.jawpain-tmjtreatment.com/ [nonactive]

"You will also have a different sexual experience! One of the reasons those who do Reichian breath therapy never attain what Reich calls "full orgastic potency" is because the pelvis can never fully release unless the eyes and jaw and throat release and this area is the hardest area to release. Traditional and Neo-Reichian breath therapy has always done a poor job at dissolving this area.

Not any more! Just like areas on your hand correlate reflexively to other parts of your body (hence, reflexology), so it is the same with your face/skull! Consequently, the maxilla/palate is reflexively correlated to your pelvis."

Anyway, that's a very short version of my story...I have a bunch more info, insights and theories about how my POIS works if anyone is interested. I'm curious to know how many people on this forum have had teeth removed or wore braces?

Cheers,

O.L.W.

Offline Vandemolen3

• View Profile
« Reply #15520 on: 01/02/2012 01:31:26 »
I'm curious to know how many people on this forum have had teeth removed or wore braces?
I had one tooth removed. There was a complication with a filling. My nerve at that place hurt. They removed the nerve and placed a temporary filling. But in the meanwhile my tooth broke in two. So they moved the tooth and placed a fake tooth. This was 15 years ago.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15521 on: 01/02/2012 01:34:43 »

onelongwar, and HeyMonkeywelcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!  We believe that 2012 is POIS' Breakthrough Year! We hope to launch serious POIS Medical Research! A great time to be here, onelongwar, and HeyMonkey!

**(If you have any technical questions, please feel free to PM (private message) Daveman or me -- go towards the end of this welcome message (after the 5 available research articles are described) for instuctions on how to send PM. We'll be happy to explain!)***

If you haven't already done so, but would like to like to join the new forum,  send "daveman" a PM here at the Naked Science Forum -- "daveman".  He'll reply to you.

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
Just click HERE first, and then look for "CHAT" button towards top of page, 6th button to your right!

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the YouTube file for the POIS  TV documentary, "Desperate Measures":

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome "POIS": Case report

Authors:
Abdalla M Attia*, Magda H Al-Ziny, Hossam A Yasien
*Corresponding author: Andrology Unit, Minoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Eygpt

For more info, check out emi_b's  SMF POIS thread:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0;topicseen

Available Upon Request:

1. and 2. POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggest one possible avenue of treatment.

3. First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

4. Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

5. British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

It can be very  helpful to you when dealing with medical professionals to point out the POIS' official listing, as recognized by the
National Institutes for Health (NIH), Office of Rare Diseases Research
:
http://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/RareDiseaseList.aspx?StartsWith=P, then scroll down until you reach Postorgasmic illness syndrome. 

POIS also appears in credible medical sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus nearly 1,500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

« Last Edit: 01/02/2012 01:38:59 by demografx »

Offline Pharaoh

• View Profile
« Reply #15522 on: 01/02/2012 03:28:48 »
I came across this condition while researching the various classifications of headaches. 

Occipital neuralgia (Wikipedia):

"The symptom of this condition is chronic headache. The pain is commonly localized in the back of head and around or over the top of the head, sometimes up to the eyebrow or behind the eye. Because chronic headaches are a common symptom for numerous conditions, occipital neuralgia is often misdiagnosed at first, most commonly as tension headache or a migraine leading to treatment failure or addiction. Another symptom is the eyes being sensitive to light, especially when headaches occur.
Occipital neuralgia can cause very intense pain that feels like a sharp, jabbing, electric shock in the back of the head and neck. Other symptoms of occipital neuralgia may include:
•Aching, burning, and throbbing pain that typically starts at the base of the head and radiates to the scalp
•Pain on one or both sides of the head
•Pain behind the eye
•Sensitivity to light
•Tender scalp
•Pain when moving the neck

Causes

Occipital neuralgia is caused by damage to these nerves. Ways in which they can be damaged include trauma (usually concussive), physical stress on the nerve, repetitious neck contraction, flexion or extension, and as a result of medical complications (such as osteochondroma, a benign tumour of the bone).
One cause is vascular compression."

An exact description of my POIS headaches.  Just thought it was interesting, especially the part about vascular compression.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15523 on: 01/02/2012 05:36:12 »

Interesting, Pharaoh!

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15524 on: 01/02/2012 08:11:13 »
I'm curious to know how many people on this forum have had teeth removed or wore braces?
I had one tooth removed. There was a complication with a filling. My nerve at that place hurt. They removed the nerve and placed a temporary filling. But in the meanwhile my tooth broke in two. So they moved the tooth and placed a fake tooth. This was 15 years ago.
I had crowding on both top and bottom rows. I got 4 teeth removed and wore braces.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15524 on: 01/02/2012 08:11:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums