The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6436406 times)

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #15525 on: 01/02/2012 16:05:20 »
Hey guys, It seems as if Imitrex has give our fellow member, Pharaoh, A great deal of relief. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it?

Sumatriptan is structurally similar to serotonin (5HT), and is a 5-HT (types 5-HT1D and 5-HT1B[7]) agonist. The specific receptor subtypes it activates are present on the cranial arteries and veins. Acting as an agonist at these receptors, Sumatriptan reduces the vascular inflammation associated with migraine.

Is inflammation causing a run out of serotonin and then tryptophan and then vitamin B3 ?

B3 is also involved as a precursor in the histamine chain. And could well be like Victor says, if you have the pre-cursor and can't use it, the solution is one, but if you are low in production of the pre-cursor the solution is the other.

Diabetes is that way. There are two types of insulin, one in which the body lacks insulin, and another where the body has enough but doesn't know how to use it. Two completely different solutions, same final result.

So in POIS, I think that's what we are looking at.

It's incredible what we can do as lay-people, isn't it!!??

What they think happens in a migraine is that the vessels at the base of the head constrict, this causes the vessels higher up in the head to dilate as a compensatory mechanism to counteract for the decrease blood flow, this dilation causes the headache.  The triptians selectively bind to 5ht receptors and cause the dilated vessels in the upper head to constrict, which relieves the headache.  I get post-coital headaches and used to use sumatriptian, which worked great for the headaches and pois in general.  The only problem was that the more I used sumatriptian the less effective it became, I also started to get more and worse headaches from over use(rebound headaches).  Even if I did not get a postcoital headache, I would still take the sumatriptian and it would kick my pois in the ass pretty good.   I would recommend using the Imitrex sparingly to treat only your worst postcoital headaches.

from lauracostis about imitrex.  jefr
« Last Edit: 01/02/2012 16:06:51 by CCconfucius »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15526 on: 01/02/2012 17:46:46 »
We have eight members who have filled out the first survey, which is a mandatory precursor to the other surveys, they will all depend on the data generated by this first survey, establishing basic POIS profiles.

We need a minimum of 40 or so to really be able to start distinguishing trends. 100 would be excellent.

I think the amount of work required to fill in the surveys will be well worth the effort. Until we get the surveys up and running , there is so much data that we are losing here in general conversation.

Let's get the real facts recorded.

A thread has been created here to discuss ideas and corrections for the surveys.
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=313.0
« Last Edit: 01/02/2012 18:02:26 by daveman »

Offline Green

• View Profile
« Reply #15527 on: 01/02/2012 20:54:41 »
Hey guys long time.

I've been lurking always, but never really had anything of great interest to post.

Just had the worst POIS episode in recent years, all the motivation to get better, work and donate so we can aim to treat this absolute misery.

Hope all is well :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15528 on: 01/02/2012 22:29:41 »

Green, welcome back!

Offline questforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #15529 on: 02/02/2012 01:55:29 »
Just wondering, does anyone experience any symptoms when the masturbate but not actually have an O? 

I know I do.  Im experimenting with amino acids at the moment, in particular L-tyrosine as I have been thinking if this has something to do with Dopamine, Serotonin  levels and if for some reason I have an excess or shortage of these neurotransmitters.  O's will only make this worse if there are any imbalances.  After all, isnt having an O one of the greatest pleasure the body can experience.   Just my own theory im exploring for what its worth...   Im thinking about getting these levels tested to see how balanced I am

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #15530 on: 02/02/2012 12:41:58 »
I got an urina test and sent it to the lab 2 weeks ago, with the following tests :
serotonin
dopamine
noradrenaline
melatonin
Still no answer but I will update when it arrives...

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #15531 on: 02/02/2012 15:11:50 »
Just wondering, does anyone experience any symptoms when the masturbate but not actually have an O? 

I know I do.  Im experimenting with amino acids at the moment, in particular L-tyrosine as I have been thinking if this has something to do with Dopamine, Serotonin  levels and if for some reason I have an excess or shortage of these neurotransmitters.  O's will only make this worse if there are any imbalances.  After all, isnt having an O one of the greatest pleasure the body can experience.   Just my own theory im exploring for what its worth...   Im thinking about getting these levels tested to see how balanced I am

Generally speaking, no. But sometimes if i masturbate with anxiety i can get some symptoms, but having the O. clearly is the key factor for me: is the factor that causes all the nasty symptoms to me.

But i agree that having the neurotransmitters levels checked is a great idea.

I got an urina test and sent it to the lab 2 weeks ago, with the following tests :
serotonin
dopamine
noradrenaline
melatonin

Thanks Habibou, i'm very intested in knowing the results. Are the urine tests more recommended than the blood ones?

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #15532 on: 02/02/2012 16:28:25 »
I've never had any teeth removed or worn braces.

I used to think I didn't get any POIS from masturbating without an "o", but I've now realized that if I masturbate for 10 to 20min on the verge of an "o" but without actually having an "o" I will get this intense feeling of sadness, but if I cease masturbating that sadness will go away in 10 to 20 min. That's the only possible POIS symptom I get without having an "o"

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #15533 on: 02/02/2012 17:41:30 »
serotonin
dopamine
noradrenaline
melatonin

Thanks Habibou, i'm very intested in knowing the results. Are the urine tests more recommended than the blood ones?
[/quote]
Urine tests are realized to get the neurotransmitters levels during 24h so it is much more reliable !
« Last Edit: 02/02/2012 17:48:33 by Habibou »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #15534 on: 02/02/2012 22:53:19 »
Hello,

I've had wet dreams and POIS-type symptoms for two decades now, with each orgasm reducing my libido to the point where I've had to avoid relationships for the last 6 years.  I also suffer from CFS/ME symptoms worsening along the same timeline i.e. they are not separate in my case.

Two years ago I started seeing an orthodontist to get my jaw fixed.  When I was 12 years old I had a couple of teeth taken out and a fixed brace put on which reduced the size of my upper jaw.  Following this the symptoms began to grow, but I didn't stop to think that only surgery I'd ever had could have been the source of all my problems until I came across his facebook page.

Last year we started working on pulling part of my upper jaw forward, and for the first time ever I experienced a temporary release of the tension that I'd felt in my sacrum since my teens.  On the days that I had this release there would be no wet dreams!  I felt fluid draining through my sinuses and immediately knew I'd found the source of my sexual problems.  Unfortunately I've not been able to keep pulling my jaw in this way all the time as there are other complications with my jaw and health, but whenever I do return to it, the effect is there.

An aside:  when I'm not able to "pull" the fluid/tension away myself, I take Seriphos which reduces cortisol, and thus reduces wet dreams.  Wish I'd discovered it ten years ago: I wouldn't be a eunuch now if I had.

At the moment, it looks like I have another couple of years work in store to get my jaw sorted....hopefully I'll then have a shot at some sort of life: relationships, career etc.

An article about my dentist:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/health/article-23753592-how-a-dental-brace-could-cure-ms-migraines-and-paralysis.do

His site:
http://mecfs.com/

Someone else doing the jaw pulling found exactly the same sexual connection I did:

http://www.jawpain-tmjtreatment.com/

"You will also have a different sexual experience! One of the reasons those who do Reichian breath therapy never attain what Reich calls "full orgastic potency" is because the pelvis can never fully release unless the eyes and jaw and throat release and this area is the hardest area to release. Traditional and Neo-Reichian breath therapy has always done a poor job at dissolving this area.

Not any more! Just like areas on your hand correlate reflexively to other parts of your body (hence, reflexology), so it is the same with your face/skull! Consequently, the maxilla/palate is reflexively correlated to your pelvis."

Anyway, that's a very short version of my story...I have a bunch more info, insights and theories about how my POIS works if anyone is interested. I'm curious to know how many people on this forum have had teeth removed or wore braces?

Cheers,

O.L.W.

OLW, interesting stuff, I wish I didn't live across the pond from this guy or I might get checked out. When I was young I had incidents with my front teeth: my 1st set were nocked completely out by a smash to the face tobogganing, and the 2nd set were both broke in half by a fall on ice. I can eaily see how this trauma could have done damage to the jaw/ TMJ. Aside from POIS I have insomnia and also pulsatile tinniuts in one ear. The tinnitus is clearly indicitave of a physical problem involving blood vessles in the jaw regiion (the sound is a clicking in time with my pulse). It is interesting to consider that jaw problems can cause systemic problems. Maybe such a problem is also responsible for my double vision. It seems strange that it could be connected to POIS but who knows. I recently have had improved cognitive abilities by consuming herbal diuretics. Maybe they are relieving pressure somewhere in the jaw area, a pinched nerve or something. Thanks for sharing your story, I'll be interested to hear if you have improvement in your POIS and CFS.

Offline POISon

• View Profile
« Reply #15535 on: 03/02/2012 00:06:00 »

I Respect the doctor you are to yourself!

Thanks,I've went the whole Primary doctor route and realized that I was wasting my money and time without getting anywhere. I realized I'm far more effective doctor to myself then someone who has such time constraints that they can't even listen to you for more than 5 minutes. Most Doctors at least Primary ones have little training in nutrition or supplementation,in fact they often think supplements are more harmful than prescription drugs. Its really, in most cases, only the  poor manufacturing process(quality control) by an unreliable supplement company that causes harmful side effects  approaching anywhere near prescription drug side effects.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15536 on: 03/02/2012 00:14:49 »

We have eight members who have filled out the first survey, which is a mandatory precursor to the other surveys, they will all depend on the data generated by this first survey, establishing basic POIS profiles.

We need a minimum of 40 or so to really be able to start distinguishing trends. 100 would be excellent.

I think the amount of work required to fill in the surveys will be well worth the effort. Until we get the surveys up and running , there is so much data that we are losing here in general conversation.

Let's get the real facts recorded.

A thread has been created here to discuss ideas and corrections for the surveys.

http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=313.0

I filled mine out!

Demo

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15537 on: 03/02/2012 00:21:27 »

•Shine the light on our experience!

•Show them what we know!

•We are the biggest union of POIS sufferers IN THE WORLD

•Let’s get what we know about medicine effectiveness

•And symptoms and nutrition into an organized database.

Surveys are HERE!

www.poiscenter.com/surveys.htm

Click on “POIS Profiles by Username”

Get your password via PM to Demografx or Daveman.

Offline badgerstripe

• View Profile
« Reply #15538 on: 03/02/2012 14:56:01 »
Same here POISon. I am hoping Dr Goldmeier will be helpful. As recommended by other forum users.

I Respect the doctor you are to yourself!

Thanks,I've went the whole Primary doctor route and realized that I was wasting my money and time without getting anywhere. I realized I'm far more effective doctor to myself then someone who has such time constraints that they can't even listen to you for more than 5 minutes. Most Doctors at least Primary ones have little training in nutrition or supplementation,in fact they often think supplements are more harmful than prescription drugs. Its really, in most cases, only the  poor manufacturing process(quality control) by an unreliable supplement company that causes harmful side effects  approaching anywhere near prescription drug side effects.

Offline badgerstripe

• View Profile
« Reply #15539 on: 03/02/2012 14:58:35 »
Somethin funny happened to the quote function there!

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15540 on: 03/02/2012 15:44:26 »
serotonin
dopamine
noradrenaline
melatonin

Were these in or out of POIS?
Ideally the best test for these would need to be taken at intervals through the whole POIS cycle, but at least we can start by finding base levels and even see if there is any change or not.

Awaiting results. I imagine ot shouldn't be long now.

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #15541 on: 04/02/2012 12:02:05 »
It was 10 hours after an O ! the next morning ! unfortunatly, I have a kind of constant POIS so it is hard to value...

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #15542 on: 04/02/2012 17:14:41 »
Guys,

I think my Pois is getting worse...Some time ago i needed 3-4 days to be at 100%. Now i need 1 full week, and even then, i still have symptoms. I don't know if it's because of the cold winter, but the throat pain, headache and skin dryness last a lot more...

Niacin is helping me, but the problem is that you need to plan your "o", 30 min - 1 h., and sometimes is not possible.

Offline Vandemolen3

• View Profile
« Reply #15543 on: 04/02/2012 20:55:10 »
Guys,

I think my Pois is getting worse...Some time ago i needed 3-4 days to be at 100%. Now i need 1 full week, and even then, i still have symptoms. I don't know if it's because of the cold winter, but the throat pain, headache and skin dryness last a lot more...

Niacin is helping me, but the problem is that you need to plan your "o", 30 min - 1 h., and sometimes is not possible.
In my case POIS is much worse in winter. That's because there are more virusses in winter. And because of the dry air at home. And because of the cold. I get sick too for 2 weeks. So now I decided to have an O. only for my injections and wait until spring.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15544 on: 05/02/2012 02:30:25 »
Guys.

Daveman has taken a lot of time to create a survey for us.  Yes, the survey will be modified / added to / and improved in the upcoming weeks, so you will need to take more surveys.

But this isn't a bullshit AT&T asking you to answer questions on your customer service experience.  This is UNBELIEVABLY IMPORTANT.

When this is done, you will have the ability to sort through and find users with similar problems to yourself, and see what treatments work and don't work for them.  Also, this survey will be used by researchers later to help find a cure.

This is the next big step forward for our forums, and so far only a disappointing 8 people have filled it out.  This community can't help you if you don't contribute.  It takes 10 minutes to do, so PM daveman or Demo for the PW and please do it.

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #15545 on: 05/02/2012 03:28:03 »
I was looking through tv listings and Oprah winfrey network is showing the Strange Sex episode now (10:30PM EST Saturday)  And repeating at (1:30 AM EST Sunday) In US

Sorry for short notice.  I don't get that channel in  my cable  package 
« Last Edit: 05/02/2012 03:31:14 by Finally »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15546 on: 05/02/2012 10:42:46 »
Guys.

Daveman has taken a lot of time to create a survey for us.  Yes, the survey will be modified / added to / and improved in the upcoming weeks, so you will need to take more surveys.

But this isn't a bullshit AT&T asking you to answer questions on your customer service experience.  This is UNBELIEVABLY IMPORTANT.

When this is done, you will have the ability to sort through and find users with similar problems to yourself, and see what treatments work and don't work for them.  Also, this survey will be used by researchers later to help find a cure.

This is the next big step forward for our forums, and so far only a disappointing 8 people have filled it out.  This community can't help you if you don't contribute.  It takes 10 minutes to do, so PM daveman or Demo for the PW and please do it.

Perhaps I'm not the only one but I'm having a problem logging into it with the login that enables me to get into the poiscenter forum. Is there another login I should use and, if so, it's not at all obvious.

Offline questforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #15547 on: 05/02/2012 14:25:44 »

[/quote]

Perhaps I'm not the only one but I'm having a problem logging into it with the login that enables me to get into the poiscenter forum. Is there another login I should use and, if so, it's not at all obvious.

[/quote]

i too have tried logging in without success.  I think also it is not obvious...osrry guys, maybe its just me.  I requested a password but I have not been sent one, this was over 1 week ago.  Im keen to do the survey.  Please help

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15548 on: 05/02/2012 17:40:21 »

i too have tried logging in without success.  I think also it is not obvious...osrry guys, maybe its just me.  I requested a password but I have not been sent one, this was over 1 week ago.  Im keen to do the survey.  Please help
My apologies, read it again and noticed that I need Daveman to give me a password. I presume the username is the same as for the poiscenter forum?
Can you oblige Daveman? :)

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15549 on: 05/02/2012 18:09:17 »
OK, sorry folks. Yes, it's true, the password for surveys is unique, not the same as NSF or SMF.

However, I think I have simplified the process. To the same surveys page www.poiscenter.com/surveys.htm, I have added code which sends  the correct password to  your EMail.

If you have been using the surveys page, (url above) and don't see the place to click to receive your passwords, you may need to press "F5" to refresh your cache. You should see an extra paragraph:

"If you don't have your password yet, click here
and it will be sent to the EMail we have registered for
you in our survey system
."

Clicking the word "here" will lead you to a page where you enter your NSF username. Submitting this will send your password to the EMail we have on register. Some of you may have changed your EMails since we created our database, or if you are new, the information may not be in our database. If you don't receive a password, it will still be necessarily to PM Demo or I to be registered or have your EMail changed in our database.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15549 on: 05/02/2012 18:09:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums