The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6428819 times)

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #15550 on: 05/02/2012 18:15:53 »
It was 10 hours after an O ! the next morning ! unfortunatly, I have a kind of constant POIS so it is hard to value...

OK, 10 hours is good!

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #15551 on: 06/02/2012 00:04:52 »
Hi everyone,

I'll be away for the rest of this month with little/no internet access - back in March. Unfortunately, as I've said, this means I won't be able to take on the reddit fundraiser, writing more letters to companies and other things on my to-do list, at least not until I get back.

Lately, I've had a lot of motivation to tackle POIS  I haven't always had this. Sometimes in the past I've been guilty of just wanting to get on with my life and enjoy things when I haven't had POIS symptoms. When I have been in POIS,  well  the motivation hasn't always been there either - that's a symptom of POIS!

There are people on this forum doing a lot of work to further our fight against POIS including several who have put in much more work than me over the years. I wondered a while back if it might be helpful to someone if I posted a message about why I've been so motivated lately. I started drafting a message...

Motivation comes and goes. Right now, I'm seriously motivated to do something about POIS. I haven't always been. I joined this forum in 2007 but I've had long periods of silence along the way. I understand how its possible to not visit the forum for months or read it without posting much.  I thought it might help to give some insights as to why I'm so fired up right now.

1. Dating
2. Being nearly 40
3. A chance to achieve
4. We're getting really close

1. I've been trying to get a relationship off the ground. I signed up to an internet dating site a while ago. Let me tell you there are some fantastic ladies out there. I've been on several dates and met one person in particular recently  I liked a lot. POIS has held me back when it comes to trying to take things beyond friendship. If, like me you've been avoiding seeking a relationship for a long time because of POIS, I can tell you that going on some dates has given me serious motivation to sort POIS out. Why? Because it properly reminds me and makes me realise what I've been missing out on - for years and years.  I'm still unsure whether its fair on the women for me to be on a dating site as a POIS sufferer but of course if I end up getting close to someone on there I'll explain things to them. Actually, a doctor I saw encouraged me to go ahead and start dating again and I was reassured that some people on here manage relationships despite POIS. Some are even married! When my POIS was at its worst, I would agree a relationship was out of the question. I'm at a stage when I'm still unsure but I can see its getting more and more possible.

2. I'm getting pretty close to 40 years old. I'd like to settle and have a  family. It feels like I'm light-years away from that. The clock is ticking and I feel I'm running out of time. If its too much longer, its likely I'll be left trying to start a relationship with a woman who can't have kids anymore. And I'll be a pretty old dad if I manage it.  If you're a lot younger it can be hard to get motivated by this. I know, I was there. Don't be fooled, time wastes quickly when you're in POIS.

3. I grew up used to achieving, in my case academically. 15 years ago POIS turned my life upside-down in ways that you all know it can. 15 years!!! And Demo's had POIS for 30+. In my professional life I haven't achieved what I planned to. I've underachieved  since I've had POIS (although I tell myself that I've done pretty remarkably given I have it). Through these forums I've realised that I have a chance to achieve something great. A chance to to beat POIS, make a difference and improve not only my life but the lives of all POIS sufferers present and future. I want to be able to look back and feel I made an effort and helped a little in the fight against POIS. For a long while I don't think I did make much effort. I wouldn't wish POIS on anyone. It feels good to have a sense of purpose and to try to help.

4. We are closer now than we have ever been to solving POIS and that too is motivating. POIS is more widely known and accepted than it has ever been. In 2007 it was amazing to find the forum and there were some great discussions but things felt a lot more helpless than they do now. We were scrabbling around in the dark. Now we have much clearer directions to go in. At some point I'm certain we're actually going to figure this out. I've been going on about the NORD fund lately. I want to meet that March 31st deadline. Maybe Prof Waldinger will announce he's solved everything. But I think its unlikely what he finds will work for all of us given the varying success different remedies have had across our group We've got a chance to start research on POIS. With it and the few people that are already looking into POIS, we'll have a much better chance of solving POIS for everyone.

I don't know what your life is like but, based on experience I think I can safely say it would be transformed if you didn't have POIS. I'm sorry if some of this sounds patronising, that's not my intention. You may be skeptical about the NORD fund. You may be right to be. But can you afford to take that risk? Please don't waste time. Fight through this. The time to do something is now.

There's never been a better time because we finally have doctors that are sitting up and taking notice. As I said, I've had POIS for 15 years and some have had it much longer than that. I feel like a huge chunk of that time, especially the early years of POIS was wasted/taken away from me. I don't want you to  reach this stage. For most of the time Demo and others had POIS, the condition didn't even have a name, wasn't recognised by the medical community and there were no fellow sufferers around to turn to. Please don't waste your life or sit back hoping someone else will do something about it and solve your problems for you because the days of POIS being unknown have passed.

Its easy to feel helpless but you're not. Here are some things you can do:

CCconfucius drafted a letter to send to companies. I did too. They're not perfect but they're a good start. Write to companies for outside funding.

We are trying to launch fundraising on the site reddit.com. Someone needs to take this on for us. Nightingale, it was your idea in the first place - and a great one at that. I don't want to put pressure on you, you've contributed greatly by just coming up with the idea but is it something you could do?

Make sure your doctor knows about POIS. He likely won't be able to help but you'll be raising awareness and paving the way to make things easier for other people in future.

If you are in the UK, or in a nearby country go and see or at least make contact with Dr Goldmeier in London. The more sufferers he sees and has available for studies, the easier it is for him to understand POIS and help us.

At least think about other ways of fundraising and suggest them on the forum

Fill out the surveys Daveman is putting together for us. Its important that we organise our data.

At the risk of being repetitive and losing the message through being long-winded…

Please take a serious look at how much you can donate to the NORD fund. In terms of the potential gains, I'm going to be bold and say that very very little is as important to you right now as resolving your POIS issues. I know especially when you are young, money can be very difficult to come by and to part with. I am not wealthy - not even remotely so. I've had my fair share of financial struggles, not least because of POIS. But trust me, money goes and money comes. If you part with some, you'll have more soon and you'll get by. In a year's time, money you give away now will likely not even register because you'll have found a way to make up for it. You might even be well on your way to being POIS-free. If you solve your POIS you'll earn more, that I am sure of. POIS-free! - don't pass an opportunity to make that real.

As I said, some of these are bold statements. I hope you have read this far because its important for me to acknowledge that I know pretty much nothing about any of you so forgive me if you feel I'm making sweeping statements I'm not qualified to make. But I do know what its like to have POIS for a long time and I know we've never had better opportunities or resources to do something about it. Help yourselves and your loved ones and don't end up looking back wishing you'd done something earlier.
« Last Edit: 06/02/2012 00:18:52 by mellivora »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15552 on: 06/02/2012 00:59:33 »
BTW, over at SMF, I've noticed that the "read recent posts since you were last here" doesn't always seem to work. Not sure why. It says that there are no new posts, butif you look down you can see that there have been some posted.

So keep that in mind. Check the board below to see if there have been any posts made "Today".

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15553 on: 06/02/2012 01:00:03 »
Thanks for your post Mel. Yes, you have helped a lot and are helping a lot, very much appreciated. It's alot of work to take it on alone (figuratively).

We'll try to make your post last the 3 weeks you're away. I'll bet that Demo will even higlught out bits and pieces from time to time and repeat them.  ;D

And yes, we are getting close. We have to keep the vision on the near horizon. Very soon it's all going to make it to the summit and then the pushing will be a lot easier.

We'll be glad to see you when you get back. Take care, I miss you already!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15554 on: 06/02/2012 01:02:10 »

DEAR MEL,

DAVEMAN SAID IT ALL!

THANK YOU!!

All the Best,
Demo

Offline Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #15555 on: 06/02/2012 01:19:39 »
Hello All,

I’ve read some of Demo’s and Daveman’s posts about the current survey that they’re asking everyone to fill out.  I was interested in what this survey consisted of, so Daveman shared a link to it, just so that I could see it.

I now understand the importance of this initial survey, and why each of you really will benefit by completing it. 

FYI, it consists of 21 very brief, general questions about the POIS experience, and should take no more than 10-15 minutes – at the most – to complete. All you need to do is check off the answers as they apply to you.

Daveman has taken great care to assure anonymity in this survey. Only your screen name, a password (to access the survey) and the email address that you provided when registering for the forums are required.

This initial, general survey will foster more specific surveys as time goes by. For example, Daveman is working on one specific to niacin usage right now. I'm under the impression that a very reputable researcher has expressed some interest in this!!!

These upcoming surveys – which will likely each be brief -- will connect data about POIS in an orderly, organized fashion.  The importance of this is MAJOR -- there  is no other repository of data on POIS – anywhere! 

Between the NSF and SMF forums, there is a ton of information about POIS.  But it needs to be organized. 

Researchers won’t be able to use your POIS data unless it’s organized and highly coherent. (The hope is that they will be able to formulate scientific data for POIS, based on your data. I think this is Daveman’s main point in asking you to complete these surveys). 

And -- YOU will be able to put some of the pieces of the POIS puzzle together more easily for yourselves.

It is definitely worth filling out this initial survey -- even for those of you who generally don’t post, have never posted, or are extremely private about the POIS experience. 

I needed some clarification about some of the questions, and Daveman did answer my questions.  Basically, for the few questions that ask you to rate a specific statement on a "1 – 5" basis – you need to check off each of the specific replies – even if they don’t apply to you.  You’ll understand this when you fill out the survey!

As far as a time/effort commitment from each of you – you’ll just be checking off boxes.

FYI -- I will never be privy to your responses.  Just letting you know! :-)

So go do it! It really will be a gift to all of you. AND IT'S CONFIDENTIAL!!

http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=299.0

(Also posted on SMF)

Offline Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #15556 on: 06/02/2012 02:51:51 »
Dear Mel,

That was an amazing post!!!

I miss you already also!!!!!

Offline questforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #15557 on: 06/02/2012 23:00:18 »
Has anyone taken a supplement that has brought on feelings similar to what you get when your in POIS?  I have been experimenting again with different supplements and yesterday I took Alpha Lipoic Acid.  This stuff really sets me back which is strange as it was a low dose.  The symptoms I get with it appear within the hour and last for about 24 hours. They are very similar symptoms to my POIS:
Very poor co-ordination
Derealization
extremely poor lack of concentration / cognitive
Joint aches
Facial Muscles pain which effect my facial expressions / talking etc (this is my most unbearable POIS symptom which comes around straight after an O)

I thought it was strange how a supplement can bring on such similar symptoms and thought maybe there was a relationship between it.  Other supplements do make me feel much better and so I convinced there must be a chemical/neuro imbalance that is extremely sensitive. 

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #15558 on: 07/02/2012 03:04:30 »
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=316.0

CAN YOU PLEASE COME OVER TO THIS SECTION TO SHARE HOW MANY YEARS YOU HAVE LOST AND WHAT YOU HAVE LOST IN THOSE YEARS AND HOW THOSE YEARS COULD HAVE GONE BETTER. 
COULD BE A GREAT STARTING POINT FOR REDDIT.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15559 on: 07/02/2012 06:34:29 »
Mellivora, your post was very moving.  They're the sincere reflections of someone who has suffered.  Every word you wrote resonates with me: the hope, the frustration, the call for action. So thank you for posting that, it meant a lot to me.

Offline badgerstripe

• View Profile
« Reply #15560 on: 07/02/2012 09:42:03 »
Mellivora, your post was very moving.  They're the sincere reflections of someone who has suffered.  Every word you wrote resonates with me: the hope, the frustration, the call for action. So thank you for posting that, it meant a lot to me.

Thanks Mel fro your post, it was moving and great to read.

In retrospect i can see how POIS has wreaked havoc in my love life, it can seem to partners like i'm just not interested in sex - far from the truth!

I have an appointment with Dr Goldmeier in about 6 weeks time.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15561 on: 07/02/2012 16:03:39 »
I couldn't help but chime in once again for mellivora.

Thanks, B_Daniel and badgerstripe, for speaking up about our great friend!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15562 on: 07/02/2012 16:07:33 »

I have an appointment with Dr Goldmeier in about 6 weeks time.

Wonderful!

Please remind Dr. Goldmeier that he is a valued friend of this Forum!

Demo

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15563 on: 07/02/2012 16:11:48 »

CAN YOU PLEASE COME OVER TO THIS SECTION TO SHARE HOW MANY YEARS YOU HAVE LOST AND WHAT YOU HAVE LOST IN THOSE YEARS AND HOW THOSE YEARS COULD HAVE GONE BETTER. 

I replied.

Great thread, CC!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15564 on: 07/02/2012 16:15:18 »

Hello All,

I’ve read some of Demo’s and Daveman’s posts about the current survey that they’re asking everyone to fill out.  I was interested in what this survey consisted of, so Daveman shared a link to it, just so that I could see it.

I now understand the importance of this initial survey, and why each of you really will benefit by completing it. 

FYI, it consists of 21 very brief, general questions about the POIS experience, and should take no more than 10-15 minutes – at the most – to complete. All you need to do is check off the answers as they apply to you.

Daveman has taken great care to assure anonymity in this survey. Only your screen name, a password (to access the survey) and the email address that you provided when registering for the forums are required.

This initial, general survey will foster more specific surveys as time goes by. For example, Daveman is working on one specific to niacin usage right now. I'm under the impression that a very reputable researcher has expressed some interest in this!!!

These upcoming surveys – which will likely each be brief -- will connect data about POIS in an orderly, organized fashion.  The importance of this is MAJOR -- there  is no other repository of data on POIS – anywhere! 

Between the NSF and SMF forums, there is a ton of information about POIS.  But it needs to be organized. 

Researchers won’t be able to use your POIS data unless it’s organized and highly coherent. (The hope is that they will be able to formulate scientific data for POIS, based on your data. I think this is Daveman’s main point in asking you to complete these surveys). 

And -- YOU will be able to put some of the pieces of the POIS puzzle together more easily for yourselves.

It is definitely worth filling out this initial survey -- even for those of you who generally don’t post, have never posted, or are extremely private about the POIS experience. 

I needed some clarification about some of the questions, and Daveman did answer my questions.  Basically, for the few questions that ask you to rate a specific statement on a "1 – 5" basis – you need to check off each of the specific replies – even if they don’t apply to you.  You’ll understand this when you fill out the survey!

As far as a time/effort commitment from each of you – you’ll just be checking off boxes.

FYI -- I will never be privy to your responses.  Just letting you know! :-)

So go do it! It really will be a gift to all of you. AND IT'S CONFIDENTIAL!!

http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=299.0

(Also posted on SMF)

Thank you, Stefanie!
« Last Edit: 07/02/2012 16:17:55 by demografx »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15565 on: 07/02/2012 20:26:45 »

I look at it this way. POIS took far too many years of my life. I made no progress for about 10 years, following the completion of a graduate degree. Anything I achieved before that was based on near total abstinence. That's really difficult to maintain in college and shows the kind of iron willpower I had.  Then I fell off the wagon and I've been in a relationship for many years which has made abstinence impossible (and it was never terribly desirable anyway :)).  In that time my brother who doesn't have POIS and started out with about equal intelligence based on IQ tests at the start of puberty (we both scored over 150) learned 3 languages and got 2 masters degrees. It's not that POIS has made me stupid but it's taken away the point of trying to learn new things as I've known that 1) I would forget the material quickly 2) I'm too tired to apply most of it. So I have a constant reminder of the effects of POIS on my life. I think I'm turning it around as I've said a few times through supplementation. Things are definitely improving but when you put a lost decade into perspective, it's difficult to not feel huge disappointment that my life stalled for so long. When you leave college you don't believe that the best and most productive years of your life will be written off but that's how it's worked out. Anyway, can't dwell. Onwards we march :)

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #15566 on: 07/02/2012 21:55:11 »
I have just completed the survey! Hope it helps.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15567 on: 07/02/2012 22:39:05 »
Yes, it will, thanks Quasar. This is just the first basic survey.

From here we find which remedies work for others and which don't.
We'll be able to see if the one it worked for is in a group like yours.
We'll be able to fine tune the dosages and timing,
we'll be able to see where things don't work,
why they work on some and why they don't with others.

And hopefully once we SEE better, we'll start to get clearer ideas about where to go next.

Certainly it will give a clearer path for the researchers-

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15568 on: 08/02/2012 00:43:53 »

kurtosis, that was very moving, thank you.

Offline Green

• View Profile
« Reply #15569 on: 08/02/2012 01:27:18 »

I look at it this way. POIS took far too many years of my life. I made no progress for about 10 years, following the completion of a graduate degree. Anything I achieved before that was based on near total abstinence. That's really difficult to maintain in college and shows the kind of iron willpower I had.  Then I fell off the wagon and I've been in a relationship for many years which has made abstinence impossible (and it was never terribly desirable anyway :)).  In that time my brother who doesn't have POIS and started out with about equal intelligence based on IQ tests at the start of puberty (we both scored over 150) learned 3 languages and got 2 masters degrees. It's not that POIS has made me stupid but it's taken away the point of trying to learn new things as I've known that 1) I would forget the material quickly 2) I'm too tired to apply most of it. So I have a constant reminder of the effects of POIS on my life. I think I'm turning it around as I've said a few times through supplementation. Things are definitely improving but when you put a lost decade into perspective, it's difficult to not feel huge disappointment that my life stalled for so long. When you leave college you don't believe that the best and most productive years of your life will be written off but that's how it's worked out. Anyway, can't dwell. Onwards we march :)

Similar situation, exactly the same in the earlier years, it was only possible to achieve anything with total abstinence. I've been a bum for the past few years, whilst my younger brother who also doesn't have POIS has manage to successfully read a double degree. It's tough psychologically either way :(

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15570 on: 08/02/2012 08:45:03 »

Similar situation, exactly the same in the earlier years, it was only possible to achieve anything with total abstinence. I've been a bum for the past few years, whilst my younger brother who also doesn't have POIS has manage to successfully read a double degree. It's tough psychologically either way :(
I hear ya... But we've got to remain optimistic. The biggest problem about POIS is that you cannot talk about POIS. If you're having a really crappy day where you can't do any complex mental task, you can't say "hey, I'm really sorry but I have POIS". This is an issue. From an employers perspective, you can just look like a malingerer, someone with psychological problems or a secret alcoholic. There's no reference frame for society dealing with POIS right now. Variations of the symptoms may be much more widespread than we think but it's not something people would talk about and, unfortunately, when you have it you don't really appreciate what a healthy O is like.

Even if we didn't find  a total cure in the short term it would be nice to think that some day a POIS sufferer could discreetly explain to their employer what's wrong and produce an actual diagnosis from a doctor to justify it. It would be nice to think that health insurance companies would cover POIS. That educators would have to recognize and allow for POIS. That illness cover would extend to POIS and that eventually POIS would be cured and be no more. A happy day.

Anyway, I completed the survey too.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15571 on: 08/02/2012 17:43:45 »
Thanks to all who have filled out the survey. We are starting to accumulate data, but we still need at least another 25 members.
I can view the data, but so far there is not a tool for public viewing. But since we are beginning to gather data, I will be creating a page in the databases section of the new page at www.poiscenter.com/index.htm. The present view is rather basic, but our new page will show cross-referenced information which is better at highlighting specific relationships.
Anyways for now here is a summary of what we have so far.
We are all males. Surprise!
We are 84% Caucasian, 8% oriental and 2 “other”
Symptoms are principally Mental Fatigue and Brain Fog,  followed by physical fatigue, Withdrawn and uncoordinated.
We feel mostly like we’re not all there, followed by Older, sick and stupid in equal proportions
Duration is spread out but most suffer from 3 to 5 days, tending slightly toward 10 days.
Orgasm frequency peaks at about once every 5 to 10 days
56% have gotten worse with time
44% have had POIS since puberty
We range in age from 19 to 65 with a small peak at about 32 yrs old
In medical conditions there’s a small peak of 30% of us with depression and the condition is parallel but aggravated by POIS
Things that can generate POIS symptoms other than orgasm are 24% not sleeping enough and 24% arousal without orgasm
Importance of sex in our lives is spread out across the whole board, with a slight peak at it being a “big part of our life”, 15% as opposed to 10%
As far as physical and mental traumas around the time of POIS starting we are 76% without associated traumas.
Drug use is low, with small peaks in alcohol and prescription mood alterers.

So that’s it for now.

Once I can cross-reference and begin comparing remedy effectivity we will start to see greater trends.

Offline Green

• View Profile
« Reply #15572 on: 08/02/2012 19:41:49 »
Completed the survey, lets hope to get more people partaking!

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #15573 on: 08/02/2012 21:42:47 »
Finally, I got my urine test about neurotransmitters , 10 hours after an O :

3.54 creatinin
dopamin          91.50                    (170-256)
dopac                0.4                      (0.70-4)
hva                   1.90                     (2.43-5.20)
noradrenalin     10.30                     (15-30)
mhpg                     1.5                   (1.3-4.15)
vma                   1.60                    (2.10-3.80)
adrenalin            0.98                   (1.27-6.10)
serotonin               62.40                (61.50-116)
hiaa                        2.30                 (2-4.20)
hva/5htaa =        0.83                   (1.25-2.56)

We can notice that many standards are lower than the low average which means a lot for me ! As you can understand, I was very glad to discover so many abnormalities  :D :o
« Last Edit: 09/02/2012 10:17:42 by Habibou »

Offline POISon

• View Profile
« Reply #15574 on: 08/02/2012 21:59:55 »
Has anyone taken a supplement that has brought on feelings similar to what you get when your in POIS?  I have been experimenting again with different supplements and yesterday I took Alpha Lipoic Acid.  This stuff really sets me back which is strange as it was a low dose.  The symptoms I get with it appear within the hour and last for about 24 hours. They are very similar symptoms to my POIS:
Very poor co-ordination
Derealization
extremely poor lack of concentration / cognitive
Joint aches
Facial Muscles pain which effect my facial expressions / talking etc (this is my most unbearable POIS symptom which comes around straight after an O)

I thought it was strange how a supplement can bring on such similar symptoms and thought maybe there was a relationship between it.  Other supplements do make me feel much better and so I convinced there must be a chemical/neuro imbalance that is extremely sensitive. 

Are you taking an Alpho Lipoic acid/Acetyl-l- Carnitine Combo? If you are I would stick with Acetyl-l-carnitine as it is an awesome memory booster and cognitive enhancer for me. Alpha Lipoic acid was starting to make me very edgy so I dropped it. It could be that since Alpha Lipoic Acid is a strong antioxidant it is helping your body purge toxins out of your body at a pretty fast rate.I know not everyone believes  being affected by toxins,but there's toxins everywhere,even in the air we breath which often contains pollutants from vehicles etc.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15574 on: 08/02/2012 21:59:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums