The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6429889 times)

Offline acronym

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #1575 on: 14/10/2008 00:48:16 »
Msg for Girlwind re cayenne
Hi there, below is link for the cfs guy who took cayenne:
whale.to/a/bob  (type dot html at end an www at the front. I keep getting errors when trying to post this msg!)
Unfortunately I dont have a link to a site which has this super hot cayenne. I tried the Dr.Shultz link on the curezone.com website, but I cant see where its sold, but I had the impression it was sold by this guy. I have not used this super hot cayenne just because it was not that easy to come by. I was using 'very hot' cayenne powder from supermarket & tabasco sauce, but I have no idea what its HU rating is. Id like to actually try find a supply of the really really hot stuff to try, and just saw demografx link so will check that out.

Also just a quick comment on the thyroid front from my perspective. I had blood test for TSH + T4 and they came back normal. I am sure you have read up on this and know what tests to ask for. I remember reading up on thyroid patients and found quite a number of sufferers who just had the basic test and where told everything was fine only to keep pushing doctors after many yrs of continued symptoms for more tests, and then when a more comprehensive blood test was done it showed up with abnormalities. For me I did not push this with my doc as it was not a clear case with me. I have symptoms I could tick off on both sides - hyper + hypo and dont really have the classic physical manifestations which doctors love to see. I tried an seaweed extract many yrs ago and I certainly didnt feel better for it. Like hurray, the quality of my hair + skin also deterorates for the next fews days afterwards and I have dark circles around my eyes and look more haggard. Sometimes people at work think Ive been out drinking all night.
I definitely believe there is a subset of CFS sufferers for who a thyroid disorder could be a major aspect in accounting for their substandard health, though in my personal opinion I just dont think its the key to pois. Good luck with your upcoming tests.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: 14/10/2008 01:25:18 »
Hello Acronyn: Thanks for the attempt to locate the hot cayenne.  I started using regular cayenne yesterday,
just a 1/4 tsp.  Is that enough?

And OH MY GOD--the thyroid!  The more I read the angrier I get at HOW MUCH DELIBERATE DECEPTION and
INVALIDATION there has been for patients around this issue.  In regard to BOTH diagnosis and treatment! And very
predictably, there is a lot written about how the drug companies are/were very involved in attempting to suppress
the use of the more natural thyroid hormone--(ARMOUR), which most thyroid patients feel much better on, and
which was used for about a HUNDRED years before the synthetic one (SYNTHROID) came into the "market."

I also have both hyper and hypo thyroid symptoms, but more hypo. And most of my past thyroid tests did not
include the tests that are more apt to reveal the problem. TSH is the "uber-test" for standard allo-pathetic (spelling
intentional!) medicine, yet this test MISSES many people who have hypothyroid. You need the FREE T3 and FREE T4 and
probably the thyroid antibody tests as well to get a really good clear diagnosis. In my case, the thyroid is definitely a
problem, as my tests now reveal. I wonder how much of my CFS is due to thyroid issues. I have read that 90% of
those with CFS have an underlying thyroid problems.
  (That's according to Dr. Dale Guyer.)

I have DEFINITELY seen benefits from increasing iodine intake when it comes to POIS, despite the side effects of
heavy metal detox it causes me. Whether it's just the iodine itself, or the effect iodine has on boosting my thyroid, is yet
to be dtmd. That is what I intend to find out next.

« Last Edit: 14/10/2008 01:29:20 by girlwind »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: 14/10/2008 01:27:00 »
POIS SYMPTOMS for Counterpoints (changes in bold)

POIS SYMPTOMS

they last 3-4 days
all fingertips "dry/burning", "numb"
emotional numbness
brain fog (poor concentration)
moderate to severe exhaustion
excessive yet nonrefreshing sleep
depression
irritability
anxiety
impaired creativity
imaired memory

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: 14/10/2008 01:38:40 »
I have DEFINITELY seen benefits from increasing iodine intake when it comes to POIS, despite the side effects of heavy metal detox it causes me.

Very encouraging, girlwind!
« Last Edit: 14/10/2008 15:46:27 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: 14/10/2008 02:21:20 »
Concerning nitric oxide L-arginine is indeed one avenue to explore.  I am also curious about the effects of consuming more vegetables high in nitrate such as spinach/radish/beets, might this have any counterPOIS effects? NO is also made during exorcise apparently. Anyone ever workout or go jogging before relations?  :-\

John, is nitrate the same as NO?

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: 14/10/2008 02:24:58 »
I think someone in earlier post talked about reading a medical journal from 100 yrs ago that described a condition similar to pois. I also have read a similar old time medical article. I cant remember what they called the condition, but it was term that you dont hear of anymore like, dropsey, consumption, neurasthemia, etc. It had 4 recommendations for the young man suffering from such condition which I just thought I'd mention, as I can relate to them.
* Abstain from sex and overindulgence : Well that ones pretty obvious as we all know.
* Change diet and avoid big meals + starchy and rich foods + alcohol : As a number of people have reported here, a low carb high protein minimal sugars diet has helped them. I am another that vouches for this diet helping to lessen pois impact.
* Spend a month in the mountains : hardly a practical solution, but I have to say when I spent time on mountain holiday it certainly helped reduce pois though I was not there long enough to make an overwhelming claim for it. However I have had 2 holidays when I spent time living by the ocean and during this time, I had major reduction in pois symptoms (from 3-4 days to just 1). The fresh salt air + being outdoors on beach made a big difference. I live in bayside suburb now and it makes no difference.
* Taking sitz baths : I can vouch for this, though I dont take baths but alternating hot + cold showers. It is not easy depending on the time of year thatís for sure, but I think it helps in terms energising me and reducing the brain fog. It helps to increase blood flow.

None of these are a cure or explain why pois is occurring in some of us. Also I have not seen anyone post anything about seasonal effect on their pois. For me, pois is not so bad in autumn + winter as compared to spring + summer.
For what its worth I thought Iíd mention 2 periods when my pois symptoms were not so pronounced. One was when I did night shift work for a while and the other was when I did heavy labouring work for a month. The later had the greater effect. I wonder how many of the suffers of pois are desk jockeys as compared to tradesman / labourers.

Also last couple of posts have talked about neuroplasty. I just dont think this applies to pois strongly. I gather most suffers here, started experiencing pois in puberty, and not as a result of years of wild excess. Some of my friends have told me about their sex lives especially in the early yrs of their relationships where they were having orgasms 7-14 times a week and they are fine.
One post I found fascinating was from that guy who took penis enlargement pills (who'd a thought they actually were legit) for a few years then crashed with pois. That was a clear cut case as to what caused it for him. It would seem that over stimulation screwed up the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis. I couldnít find his original post but I'd like to know what pathology tests he had.
While searching for that guy's post I also came across a post from mellivora who said his pois started after his thyroid was treated and it went underactive. Maybe the thyroid aspect is more then I think. He was also someone who got pois later in life.

Offline Chewbacca

• View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: 14/10/2008 05:16:25 »
Hi all, this is my first posting on the forumÖthough I have been following most of the posts for the last couple of weeks. I must say that though I am displeased that anyone has to suffer from POIS, I am grateful that Iím not alone in this struggle. Itís nice to have companions on a difficult journey.

Itís hard to say when my POIS first began. I have always had a kind of mild low grade but always in the background form of depression ever since puberty started Ė which is about the same time I started masturbating and having orgasms. When I was younger POIS never really seemed to be present. Then gradually over the years I started to notice more of an effect (low energy after orgasm). At age 25 after a year of celibacy when I wanted to make sure everything was working ok I decided to have another orgasm. After that orgasm I notice a dramatic difference in the way my normal orgasmic response/cycle happens. What I noticed was that the next day after orgasm I felt like I had extremely low energy, I felt depressed, I had difficulty sleeping, anxiety (since I didnít know what was going on) and a sluggish, dull, and  grey mind.

Iím now 27 and doing everything in my power to try and heal or cope with this particular issue. Things that seem to provide at least some amount of alleviation for me personally are B vitamins (mostly activated B6 as well as B12), vitamin C, exercise, and a high protein diet Ė Pretty much what some of the posts on this forum have suggested.
However, even with all my effort I still have to cycle my orgasms 2 weeks apart minimum. I find though that it really takes me about three weeks to a month to get all the way back to normal.

My primary symptoms are:
-   Very low energy after orgasm
-   Difficulty sleeping (this has gotten better and happens only occasionally)
-   Depression (the day after orgasm is the worst with each day after that getting slightly better)
-   Mental Fog

Other Observations:
-   Difficulty connecting to people emotionally
-   Feelings of despair and negativity
-   Anhedonia/lack of joy and humor
-   Lack of spontaneity and creativity

After reading many posts it sounds like perhaps my POIS isnít a serve case, maybe even on the milder side, however, it still sucks and I would like it to go away. That being said, I would like to make myself available to the forum to answer any questions regarding my personal experiences with POIS if it would be useful. My current plan of action is to get a thyroid test, look into nitric oxcide supplementation. Also, does anyone know of a way to supplement Nitric Oxide naturally? Foods? Garlic? -Best

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: 14/10/2008 05:26:24 »
Demografx - re recent post on symptoms.
It was interesting to see you listed impaired creativity in bold. I can definitely relate to this. I had a strong talent as an artist. I used to draw + paint for the shear joy of it. Then suddenly around the time I started to be effected by pois in my late teens, I lost the ability and art became hard work and I was really critical of everything I did and would never finish any works. Just by avoiding orgasm for a week I suddenly dont get the talent back but when I have periods of good health I get a bit of the old urge back to be creative, but its not the same. I suspect that some people think I am lazy and wasting a god given talent.

Its hard to use this symptom to derive the cause of pois though. The Right hemisphere of brain controls creativity. I found a few articles that link the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and dopamine to creativity but nothing really solid. Another symptom that occurred around the same time (though maybe a bit later when I got cfs) was reduction in my sense of smell. To me both are tied in with brain blood flow but what's the underlying cause for the change in blood flow is the question. My cfs doc tends to put it down to a chronic low grade virus and or mycoplasma infection which live in blood cells and affect their shape and thus blood flow at the tiny capillary level.
Demografx - did the ADHD stimulants have any effect on your creativity?

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: 14/10/2008 06:11:40 »
Follow up post on impaired creativity.
Thought I'd mention another neurotransmitter involved with creativity...which I dont think has cropped up before in this forum (I could be wrong)
Symptoms of Acetylcholine Deficiency.

Difficulty remembering names and faces after meeting people
Difficulty remembering peoples birthdays and numbers
Difficulty remembering lists, directions or instructions
Forgetting common facts
Trouble understanding spoken or written language
Forget where I put things (e.g. keys)
Making simple mistakes at work
Slowed and/or confused thinking
Difficulty finding the right words before speaking
Disorientation
Prefer to do things alone than in groups / social withdrawal
Rarely feel passionate
Feel despair and lack joy
Lost some of my creativity / lack imagination
Dry mouth
Fatigue and loss of strength upon exertion

Acetylcholine is strongly implcated in Alzheimers and is directly associated with Myasthenia Gravis. I can tick off practically all of these symptoms especially after pois incident. I tried the drug Physostigmine which is a cholinesterase inhibitor designed to increase acetylcholine levels, and I did get a little bit of improvement but nothing dramatic, which surprised my doctor and really dissappointed me needless to say. Supplementing with choline is supposed to help boost levels of this neurotransmitter.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: 14/10/2008 11:17:01 »
Demografx,
John, is nitrate the same as NO?

I don't really understand this yet, but one would think it to be a raw ingredient for the body to produce NO.

Supplimenting with L-Citrulline might also lead to more NO production.
http://www.springboard4health.com/store/more_arg_citrulline.html

Going further down the chain, we could suppliment with Glutamine.

Conversion in the body:
Glutamine -> Citrulline -> Arginine -> essential to make NO

Dietary sources of L-glutamine include beef, chicken, fish, eggs, milk, dairy products, cabbage, beets, beans, spinach, and parsley. Small amounts of free L-glutamine are also found in vegetable juices and fermented foods, such as miso.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamine

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: 14/10/2008 15:21:36 »
Demografx - re recent post on symptoms.
It was interesting to see you listed impaired creativity in bold. I can definitely relate to this. I had a strong talent as an artist. I used to draw + paint for the shear joy of it. Then suddenly around the time I started to be effected by pois in my late teens, I lost the ability and art became hard work and I was really critical of everything I did and would never finish any works. Just by avoiding orgasm for a week I suddenly dont get the talent back but when I have periods of good health I get a bit of the old urge back to be creative, but its not the same. I suspect that some people think I am lazy and wasting a god given talent.

I think we have to say "the hell with people who think we're lazy, etc." as long as WE KNOW the truth!
« Last Edit: 14/10/2008 15:26:13 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: 14/10/2008 15:25:06 »
I don't really understand this yet, but one would think it [nitrate] to be a raw ingredient for the body to produce NO.

John, you definitely understand 10X more than I do!
« Last Edit: 14/10/2008 15:34:54 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: 14/10/2008 15:32:48 »
Demografx - did the ADHD stimulants have any effect on your creativity?

Hard to tell, but I think so. But the real question might be, "how creative was I to begin with?"  ;D

Kidding aside, minimally, the stimulants improved my motivation, so I went back to pianoplaying after a many-years hiatus. And when I did, I was better than before, just because I filled in the creative gap by listening to more music all those years (the music I wanted to play). I hope that makes sense.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: 14/10/2008 15:51:31 »
Chewbacca, welcome to The POIS Forum! And thank you for sharing your experience. We look forward to your continued participation.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: 14/10/2008 17:33:10 »
FYI: There is a connection between yogic breathing--through the nose and the production of nitric oxide.

"Nose Breathing
Deepak Chopra, M.D., author, makes a simple and profound statement, "Breathing is the link between
the biological and spiritual elements of our nature." When one is in a meditative state, one is nose breathing. http://www.aboutbreathing.com/articles/nose-breathing.htm

Breathing through the nose has many benefits beyond filtering, warming and wetting the air.
The sinuses produce nitric oxide, which kills certain bacteria in small doses and assists oxygen
uptake in the lungs.
  Nerves that regulate breathing are also found in the nasal passages that feed up
into the hypothalamus in the brain. The inhaled air stimulates reflex nerves that control breathing and
regulate autonomic nervous system balance. Each nostril is innervated independently by nerves from the
opposite side of the brain and functions synergistically in tune with internal and external rhythms."

Offline imre1

• View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: 14/10/2008 18:07:55 »
I think someone in earlier post talked about reading a medical journal from 100 yrs ago that described a condition similar to pois.

Yes the nazis have broken a lot in terms of sex research. Part of why we are all suffering and why there is no money for POIS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: 14/10/2008 18:17:38 »
No money for POIS research because it's a small and rare population, which means pharmaceuticals (who have the largest research dollars to spend) can't make much money on it.

Offline imre1

• View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: 14/10/2008 18:19:56 »
Hi all, this is my first posting on the forumÖthough I have been following most of the posts for the last couple of weeks. I must say that though I am displeased that anyone has to suffer from POIS, I am grateful that Iím not alone in this struggle. Itís nice to have companions on a difficult journey.

Itís hard to say when my POIS first began. I have always had a kind of mild low grade but always in the background form of depression ever since puberty started Ė which is about the same time I started masturbating and having orgasms. When I was younger POIS never really seemed to be present. Then gradually over the years I started to notice more of an effect (low energy after orgasm). At age 25 after a year of celibacy when I wanted to make sure everything was working ok I decided to have another orgasm. After that orgasm I notice a dramatic difference in the way my normal orgasmic response/cycle happens. What I noticed was that the next day after orgasm I felt like I had extremely low energy, I felt depressed, I had difficulty sleeping, anxiety (since I didnít know what was going on) and a sluggish, dull, and  grey mind.

Iím now 27 and doing everything in my power to try and heal or cope with this particular issue. Things that seem to provide at least some amount of alleviation for me personally are B vitamins (mostly activated B6 as well as B12), vitamin C, exercise, and a high protein diet Ė Pretty much what some of the posts on this forum have suggested.
However, even with all my effort I still have to cycle my orgasms 2 weeks apart minimum. I find though that it really takes me about three weeks to a month to get all the way back to normal.

My primary symptoms are:
-   Very low energy after orgasm
-   Difficulty sleeping (this has gotten better and happens only occasionally)
-   Depression (the day after orgasm is the worst with each day after that getting slightly better)
-   Mental Fog

Other Observations:

After reading many posts it sounds like perhaps my POIS isnít a serve case, maybe even on the milder side, however, it still sucks and I would like it to go away. That being said, I would like to make myself available to the forum to answer any questions regarding my personal experiences with POIS if it would be useful. My current plan of action is to get a thyroid test, look into nitric oxcide supplementation. Also, does anyone know of a way to supplement Nitric Oxide naturally? Foods? Garlic? -Best

Absolutely a case of POIS.

What i personally found most interesting is:

At age 25 after a year of celibacy when I wanted to make sure everything was working ok I decided to have another orgasm.

Which seems to align with some of my own experiences. The idea that something that was necessary for decent orgasms had died off due to inactivity. Something that is not being produced anew.

Offline imre1

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: 14/10/2008 18:23:51 »

Other Observations:

These are symptoms of dopamine deficiency. Maybe you MIGHT want to try a DRI like wilbutrin. Be aware that for example cocaine belongs to the same group of drugs. So you might maybe start to trip a little.

Demografx has tried this drug so he might be able to tell you more.

Offline imre1

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: 14/10/2008 18:25:44 »
No money for POIS research because it's a small and rare population, which means pharmaceuticals (who have the largest research dollars to spend) can't make much money on it.

Doesn't take away that Germany was the land for sexual research prior to the 1930's and that Hitler leveled it all to the ground.

Also the reason there is no treatment for POIS is because it is about sex. And nobody wants to hear that sex is bad.
« Last Edit: 14/10/2008 18:34:18 by imre1 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: 14/10/2008 23:07:18 »
These are symptoms of dopamine deficiency. Maybe you MIGHT want to try a DRI like wilbutrin. Be aware that for example cocaine belongs to the same group of drugs. So you might maybe start to trip a little.

Demografx has tried this drug so he might be able to tell you more.

Maybe that explains why I had a bad experience: it was "trippy". But others have had a good experience so I don't wish to be a wet blanket when it comes to Wellbutrinģ

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: 14/10/2008 23:11:20 »
...Germany was the land for sexual research prior to the 1930's and...Hitler leveled it all to the ground.

Good thing it was leveled. If Hitler discovered POIS, he could've figured out a way to give it to the enemy >:(

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: 14/10/2008 23:25:54 »
Here is the site of Dr. Louis Ignarro, Professor of Molecular Biology at UCLA. He won a nobel prize for his research in NO as it relates to heart disease prevention. Theres are some videos in which he explains NO.

http://www.drignarro.com/about.php

This supplement was made in consultation with him, it's a bit pricey but perhaps it's good.

http://www.amazon.com/Herbalife-Niteworks/dp/B0009XFJ40

Another NO supplement that sounds interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/Oxegen-Stimulator-Vasodilator-Dietary-Supplement/dp/B000E9V6IW
« Last Edit: 15/10/2008 00:02:51 by John21 »

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: 15/10/2008 00:11:56 »
JUST TO LET YOU ALL KNOW:  I emailed and requested the recovered ex-POIS forum member to post his story on the
site. He sounds like he might be willing to do that some time. He is very informed on hormonal issues, so I hope he does.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: 15/10/2008 00:34:34 »
FYI: There is a connection between yogic breathing--through the nose and the production of nitric oxide.

Interesting, girlwind. For years I was addicted to Afrin - contains oxymetazoline, an extremely powerful nasal decongestant (they never should have made it available over-the-counter, it's super-addictive) - Maybe that harmed me and contributed to developing POIS........_IF_ there is a POIS/NO relationship.
« Last Edit: 15/10/2008 00:45:08 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1599 on: 15/10/2008 00:34:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums