The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6434252 times)

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #15825 on: 21/03/2012 19:18:33 »
As an idea about how to get more donations, I think we should send email to all members of poiscenter.com forum with the information about activity to gather pois research funds. I know that everyone hates bulk emails, but the reason for this email is special and very important and thats why it is reasonable to do this.

What do you think?

Offline Mr.Cool

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15826 on: 21/03/2012 20:14:29 »
Hi guys, this is my first post here.
I have had these symptoms for maybe 2 years max.
I have researched what the cause is for that time with great interest. My doctors couldn't find out what was wrong except for hypotension. And that I hit a growth spurt. I want to keep my post short so here is a website that could change the lives of many. It might already be put up here and discussed but its worth a try. A lot of you might have this. Please have a look. Thanks and God bless.
  newbielink:http://cure-erectile-dysfunction.org/symptoms-of-sexual-exhaustion [nonactive]

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15827 on: 21/03/2012 21:25:29 »

Mr.Cool, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!  We believe that 2012 is POIS' Breakthrough Year! We hope to launch serious POIS Medical Research! A great time to be here!

**(If you have any technical questions, please feel free to PM (private message) Daveman or me -- go towards the end of this welcome message (after the 5 available research articles are described) for instuctions on how to send PM. We'll be happy to explain!)***

If you haven't already done so, but would like to like to join the new forum,  send "daveman" a PM here at the Naked Science Forum -- "daveman".  He'll reply to you.

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
Just click HERE first, and then look for "CHAT" button towards top of page, 6th button to your right!

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the YouTube file for the POIS  TV documentary, "Desperate Measures":

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome "POIS": Case report

Authors:
Abdalla M Attia*, Magda H Al-Ziny, Hossam A Yasien
*Corresponding author: Andrology Unit, Minoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Eygpt

For more info, check out emi_b's  SMF POIS thread:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0;topicseen

Available Upon Request:

1. and 2. POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggest one possible avenue of treatment.

3. First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

4. Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

5. British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

It can be very  helpful to you when dealing with medical professionals to point out the
POIS' official listing, as recognized by the
National Institutes for Health (NIH), Office of Rare Diseases Research
:

And in Europe: Orphanet now lists POIS on their website! - Click here!

POIS also appears in credible medical sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus our pages have been read nearly 2,000,000 times! Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

« Last Edit: 21/03/2012 23:40:26 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15828 on: 21/03/2012 21:51:15 »
As an idea about how to get more donations, I think we should send email to all members of poiscenter.com forum with the information about activity to gather pois research funds. I know that everyone hates bulk emails, but the reason for this email is special and very important and thats why it is reasonable to do this.

What do you think?

Daveman has put in a lot of work to do that, but progress slowed when he took on a major new work commitment. I'll pass this on to him and I'm sure he will reply soon. Thanks again.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #15829 on: 21/03/2012 23:39:28 »
Hey guys, i think i've found something. I know we have already too many theories, but this one makes a lot of sense:

Today on the news they said they have discovered that prostaglandin D2 (PGD2) is a key factor in male baldness.

One of my symptoms of Pois is that after having an O. i lose a lot of hair, and if i don't O's then my hair remains strong and i don't lose it.

Then i went to wikipedia and learned that PGD2 is related to Asthma and inflammation. And you know what? Another symptom of Pois, at least for me, is that it makes my asthma and my breathing efficiency quite worse.

But not only this. PGD2 is also related to the Niacin Flush. In fact, is what it causes it: "Research carried out in 1989[3] found that PGD2 is the primary mediator of vasodilation (the "niacin flush") after ingestion of niacin (nicotinic acid)."

Maybe the Niacin Flush is helping us, because it uses the PGD2 (in a different way than an O.) before having the O., and then the O. is not so harmful.

Does anyone know if exist a drug that inhibits PGD2?
« Last Edit: 21/03/2012 23:42:33 by Quasar »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15830 on: 21/03/2012 23:47:45 »

Quasar, I think diclofenac does that.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15831 on: 22/03/2012 00:17:33 »

...only 4 registered in the niacin survey. I twould REALLY like to be able to cross reference some information and see why niacin works for some and not for others!

C'mon everyone, let's help Dave out here!

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #15832 on: 22/03/2012 17:43:58 »

Quasar, I think diclofenac does that.

So, if Diclofenac (Voltaren) does that then it would be very easy to try. It is an NSAID (similar to aspirin) , so it is relatively safe.  But i can't try it, because i am allergic to asperin and Nsaids. It would be great if we can research more about it. If someone decides to try it, it would be more effective taken before having sex. But please, always read the information leaflet before.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 22/03/2012 21:47:32 by Quasar »

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #15833 on: 22/03/2012 19:13:59 »
Hi guys, this is my first post here.
I have had these symptoms for maybe 2 years max.
I have researched what the cause is for that time with great interest. My doctors couldn't find out what was wrong except for hypotension. And that I hit a growth spurt. I want to keep my post short so here is a website that could change the lives of many. It might already be put up here and discussed but its worth a try. A lot of you might have this. Please have a look. Thanks and God bless.
 http://cure-erectile-dysfunction.org/symptoms-of-sexual-exhaustion
Amazing finding (evenf if I heard about it once without any details) !!!
It explains every symptome I have linked to my neurotransmitters deficiency :o

It should be interesting if the solution works and how we can implement what is written bellow :

The solution is to help your neuro-endocrine function and stabilize your serotonin and GABA nervous modulation on the Fight or Flight responses. You must also recharge your parasympathetic nervous system and boost your prostaglandin E-1 , E-3, oxytocin and Nitric Oxide production for healing.

are you cured right now MR Cool?

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #15834 on: 22/03/2012 19:56:53 »
I dont think so?
Find on the website :

Cure-Erectile-Dysfunction.org is an online, media publishing organization. It provides authoritative, in-depth medical information covering many aspects of erectile dysfunction.

dr.Mark Richards, MD

Shawn Davis, Customer Support

Ronald Howard, Site Administrator

Offline Mr.Cool

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15835 on: 22/03/2012 20:48:52 »
Thank you Habibou for the feedback.
Yes this website has been very helpfull for me personally however while it does explain all the symptoms, one thing that puzzles me is my ejaculation rate. I only O once every two weeks or so? Also I am NOT cured but getting better everyday. I think time, not causing as much stress and taking a lot of vitamins, salt and water will heal me. God willing.
I have a a hypothesis that age of your first O might have something to do with our illness? any other people have thoughts about that? Thanks and God bless.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #15836 on: 22/03/2012 21:42:02 »
Hmmm :/  it looks like dr Lin's text.

Definitely. It may not be him, but the style is very similar. It talks about 1000 neurotransmitters and hormones...It doesn't specify, and the recommendations of this kinds of sites usually are: stop masturbating so much, take more vitamins, neurotransmitters, etc. But i'm sure Pois can't be cured like that.

Offline Mr.Cool

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15837 on: 22/03/2012 22:50:48 »
@ Quasar I am not familiar with dr Lin's text? and why are you so sure? we are trying to look into POIS in everyway we can. We are all on the same team. Also one symptom I experience is floaters and light sensitivity. Does anyone else experience this? Thanks and God bless.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15838 on: 22/03/2012 23:23:23 »
We are not looking into "every way we can", Mr. Cool. Our approach is medical and scientific. Which is why we chose to be part of Naked SCIENCE forum.

Welcome again.
« Last Edit: 22/03/2012 23:32:26 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15839 on: 22/03/2012 23:27:09 »

I also agree with Quasar and B_Jim.

The writing lacks credibility.

« Last Edit: 22/03/2012 23:43:09 by demografx »

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #15840 on: 22/03/2012 23:35:03 »
Thank you Habibou for the feedback.
Yes this website has been very helpfull for me personally however while it does explain all the symptoms, one thing that puzzles me is my ejaculation rate. I only O once every two weeks or so? Also I am NOT cured but getting better everyday. I think time, not causing as much stress and taking a lot of vitamins, salt and water will heal me. God willing.
I have a a hypothesis that age of your first O might have something to do with our illness? any other people have thoughts about that? Thanks and God bless.

I have been suffering POIS since 7 years ago. In summer months, i had no stress, good diet, and very few O- I was never cured. Currently i am taking niacin before orgasm on an empty stomach. The result is NO POIS if i ejaculate the next 3-4 hours(maybe more?). I hadnīt need to follow all the advices that are on that page to fix my organism(I am pretty sure that nothing is wrong on me, except my very strong inmune system). I strongly suggest you to test niacin on your body. You could be amazed by the results.  Keep us updated!

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #15841 on: 22/03/2012 23:56:14 »
Yeah, that text quoting Lin's words above I would say isn't related to POIS.  It is probably talking about general laziness after orgasm that "normal" people usually have.  We can abstain for as long as we can and the next orgasm you are in full blown POIS if you do not take anything beforehand.  It is some un-natural reaction that will always occur as long as we are stricken with this illness.  I have abstained for about 5 years now and still have POIS, yet my recovery time is significantly shorter, taking about a day now as opposed to a week if I do not take anything before the O.  But the fact that you can abstain and you will be cured I say is not true, I think you can only affect your recovery rate after the "O".

QUASAR, I believe that anti-histamines like claritin have that ability to stop prostaglandins.  I think when histamine is used by the body it creates inflammation which then sends out prostaglandins.  I could be wrong.

Offline Mr.Cool

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15842 on: 23/03/2012 00:13:48 »
@observercenter where can I buy this niacin? I hope I dont' appear foolish by asking can I get it in CVS? Also what kind should I try to obtain? One other question that I would like to ask is what is everyone's sex vs. masturbation ratio? I think there could be some relation between that and POIS. On the symptom side of things is it common to be lightsensitive and experience eye folaters from POIS? What about stretch marks on the back?
And from the article side, why is it not credible? Doesn't it say that he is a doctor? He also has a ton of refrences from sources like pubmed which are very reliable.

Thanks again and God bless.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15843 on: 23/03/2012 00:48:51 »
Why is the writing lacking credibility? "Dr Lin" has been thoroughly discredited here, with self-serving writings that bluntly sell his supplements and consultations. And I basically trust B_Jim and Quasar's evaluations and comparisons.

I took another look at "Dr Richard"'s site, he indeed is selling products [questionable, not-FDA approved] for which his writings point to the "cures" he sells.

Unethical and hugely misleading.
« Last Edit: 23/03/2012 01:20:10 by demografx »

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #15844 on: 23/03/2012 00:55:36 »
Hey guys, i think i've found something. I know we have already too many theories, but this one makes a lot of sense:

Today on the news they said they have discovered that prostaglandin D2 (PGD2) is a key factor in male baldness.

One of my symptoms of Pois is that after having an O. i lose a lot of hair, and if i don't O's then my hair remains strong and i don't lose it.

Then i went to wikipedia and learned that PGD2 is related to Asthma and inflammation. And you know what? Another symptom of Pois, at least for me, is that it makes my asthma and my breathing efficiency quite worse.

But not only this. PGD2 is also related to the Niacin Flush. In fact, is what it causes it: "Research carried out in 1989[3] found that PGD2 is the primary mediator of vasodilation (the "niacin flush") after ingestion of niacin (nicotinic acid)."

Maybe the Niacin Flush is helping us, because it uses the PGD2 (in a different way than an O.) before having the O., and then the O. is not so harmful.

Does anyone know if exist a drug that inhibits PGD2?
Laropiprant is a selective antagonist of the prostaglandin D(2) receptor subtype 1 (DP1), which may mediate niacin-induced vasodilation.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #15845 on: 23/03/2012 00:58:25 »
http://www.herballove.com/article.asp?art=109

mr cool just go to that website you will see the similarities.
warning stay away from the products they are rubish(that is from personal experience.)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15846 on: 23/03/2012 01:03:21 »
CCconfucius, thank you!

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #15847 on: 23/03/2012 04:55:39 »
Hi Guys,

I had to try new XN tablets two days before of different producer, because my favorite tablets are not shipped anymore to my drug store. I have taken in 300mg and no flush, but despite of this I had sex, I thought they will work, but they didn't and POIS started slowly this day. And I had terrible POIS yesterday. I have suffered the whole day and in the evening it was clear to me that POIS will continue today in its worst form... However in the evening yesterday I decided to try POIS-removal method by taking more tablets to have the flush and to have a sex after that. And guess what - it worked! I have clear mind today despite my expectations to have a worst 2nd day of POIS!!

Victor

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #15848 on: 23/03/2012 12:18:53 »
Laropiprant is a selective antagonist of the prostaglandin D(2) receptor subtype 1 (DP1), which may mediate niacin-induced vasodilation.

Thanks a lot lauracostis,

So now we have 2 candidates that inhibit PGD2 release: Diclofenac* and Laropiprant. We may have a third one: Quercetin: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18831918 and i've found 2 more: Luteolin and Aspirin (the last one is not so effective): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18223672

Of the 5 candidates, 3 are drugs an 2 are supps. I suppose the effective dose in the supps is much different than the effective dose in the drugs. In the study, they talk about 1000mg (1 kg)of quercetin or luteolin per human. That is a lot, and would be very expensive.

I've also found this thread where they talk about it: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=32&p=672064

They say that Niacin and Laropiprant target PGD2 "DP1" receptor (both in an inverse way), and that a new drug called "Setipripant" is in trials, and it will block PGD2 "DP2" receptor (that is the hair loss one).
But we are here because of Pois, not hair loss, so the "DP1" receptor (the Niacin one) may work well for us.

On the other hand, if we want something to enhance or mimmick  (and not inhibit) Niacin, we should look for something that releases PGD2, and 5-HT (Serotonin). In the above Pubmed links it clearly states that Niacin increases 5-HT levels. Maybe a good candidate would be "triptans"? I think recently someone said his doctor recommended triptans to him in relation to Pois.

Please,  if someone tries any drug or supplement always read the information leaflet before.
P.S.: And sorry if the Post is a bit too technical talk!!  ;D
* Mellivora already tried Diclofenac and it didn't work for him. Interestingly, Diclofenac was proposed by Dr.Goldmeier.
« Last Edit: 23/03/2012 15:26:54 by Quasar »

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #15849 on: 23/03/2012 15:58:52 »
About quercetin, I remember I said we need a trcuk of apples to suppress inflammation :)
But I didn't understand your post. You want to counter PGE-2 mediators caused by niacin or supposed caused by Pois ?

I want to counter the supposed PGD2 caused by Pois. Niacin also causes PGD2 release and helps us, but it's possible that helps us because of the Serotonin (5-HT) release, or because it fills the PGD2 receptors, so then when we have an "O." we don't suffer from inflammation (if we take niacin).

But i also mentioned the other side of the theory: to find something that does something similar to Niacin. This is why i talked about Triptans, because they increase 5-HT (serotonin) and because they are already used in sexual headaches.

Hope it helps!
« Last Edit: 23/03/2012 16:40:49 by Quasar »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15849 on: 23/03/2012 15:58:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums