The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6441735 times)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #16000 on: 12/04/2012 05:41:17 »
I still find it very strange how POIS can be a relatively new condition without the symptoms listed anywhere in any kind of old book or medical literature.  I don't think this is a disease because all of us are from different parts of the world, a disease or virus would be more localized.  It's also tough to explain for it to be an immune system reaction or genetics.  Where did the last few thousand years of humanity go?  How can there be no evidence of this syndrome in the past?  Did our genes just all decide during the same exact era to carry through with a reaction against semen?  Or our we the first ever humans on this planet to decide to talk about this problem?

P.S.  Good job observer (and others) on the tv show documentary

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #16001 on: 12/04/2012 05:43:37 »
To answer my own question, I guess other POIS'ers in the past were probably dismissed by their doctors as having some sort of psychological problem.  Without having the internet as we do today, it would be really tough finding others who share the same problem, thus maybe no entries in medical literature? 

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #16002 on: 12/04/2012 11:29:03 »
To answer your question YES! I have experienced POIS without orgasm!
In addition to POIS, I have lost all semen before I lost ability to ejaculate any more. My wife an I avoid all sexual contact usually...  Twice in the last year we got amorous and I got really turned on.  On both occasions, I came down with brain fog, headache, body aches, pelvic pain, reduced urology flow and function for several days afterwards.
Since I have no semen, not even leakage, it can't be an allergy to semen.  I do leak Cowper's gland lubricant with long and intense excitation.  Never have been able to prove that retrograde ejaculation is occurring.

I take Lyrica, Cymbalta, Cardura, Finasteride, B-12 injections, allergy shots, low PSA, sjogren's syndrom

Hi micro41, wow sex just twice a year, you certainly have an understanding wife. I got given grief with my last girlfriend with limiting it to once a week. Anyway, that's not what prompted me to make a post. I see you take Finasteride. For some individuals this can really screw up their sex & personal lives. Did your loss of libido and loss of ejeculation & brain fog occur soon after you took Finasteride? If so do some research on the www, as there are some forums full of men in despair (like here) after having taken the drug. A few fully recover, but most only partially restore their health. There is some overlap with pois and long term finasteride side effects. The theory with Finasteride is that in some individuals it alters neurosteroids.

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #16003 on: 12/04/2012 13:02:47 »
Hello All!

I was able to download the show by Dr. Demasi -- go to:
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst// -- then click on -- "The Trouble with Sex" 12/04/2012 -WMV or MP4

Observer -- and to the Australian man who appeared unidentified and in the shadows -- you were both Terrific!!!!!

And Observer -- not to embarrass you -- but you are VERY HANDSOME!!! :-) :-)

Kudos to both of you -- you've done a great service to the POIS cause!

I'll see if I can get this on to the NORD website.  If so, I'll advise you all,

Wow, i have just watched the show! I am glad of the result. Thank you for your compliment ^^ nordnurse.

Thank you too b_jim and GoingCrazy for your support !
« Last Edit: 12/04/2012 13:04:57 by observercenter »

Offline l1_prior

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16004 on: 12/04/2012 17:00:14 »
Hi all

This is my first post. I found the thread a long time ago, and have checked back a few times a year for the latest developments. But I ought to be more proactive about solving this problem, so it's about time I joined.

I share many of the symptoms and life experiences of others on the forum. So I won't go into my own experiences, since that stuff has been said many times before - except to say that it's held me back in life for what ought to have been my best years. The new developments on this forum are encouraging - the reddit post and the new TV show are getting the word out, and best of all the research fund promises some real insight into this thing. I'll be donating to the latter shortly.

I don't know if this has already been discussed - 666 pages is a lot of stuff to go through - but it's the only thing I may offer that may be novel here. For me, the worst part of POIS is the brain fog. It means I can't get work done, and I can't function properly in social situations. I have found modafinil to be very effective at allowing me to get work done. For those not familiar with modafinil, it is prescribed for the treatment of narcolepsy, but is also considered a nootropic and is often used off-prescription as a study aid. Even when not in a POIS state, I find it gives me increased clarity and focus. But the effects are most pronounced when I have POIS: I would normally get nothing done at all, but modafinil cuts through the brain fog enough to allow me to work. It is not a full cure - I'm still aware of POIS symptoms - but it's usually enough to allow me to function in the world.

A few notes before anyone runs out to try this. Modafinil is a prescription drug; I buy it over the internet. Please be extremely careful and do your own research before deciding to try it. And if you do decide to try it, beware of the many scammers around, read reviews, and find a trusted source. Also, I've read other people's experiences of this drug, and some feel no effect, so YMMV.

I shall continue to incorporate modafinil into my coping strategy. But I shall also be looking into the promising methods mentioned by others, such as niacin and histamines. I'll also take a look at the research papers mentioned above: I'll send a PM to request them, if I may.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16005 on: 12/04/2012 17:19:31 »
Great, great video. Thanks a lot !

And clear english, easy to understand .

Friday, pr1ck-test/intradermis injection,niacin, and even our web sites... very nice to see and to show all that.

Very nice graphic, B_Jim! Can I steal it? : - )

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16006 on: 12/04/2012 20:42:18 »

Stefanie, you're right, you can download our new [Australian TV POIS Documentary]!  Go to this link
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/vodcast/default.htm

Download "The Trouble with Sex"
POIS show is about 1/2way into vid

« Last Edit: 12/04/2012 23:01:09 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16007 on: 12/04/2012 20:46:34 »
Very nice graphic, B_Jim! Can I steal it? : - )

Yes. But have a look page 647 :)

Hahaha!!! I forgot I posted it!!! Lol!

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #16008 on: 12/04/2012 21:44:56 »
« Last Edit: 18/05/2012 10:58:16 by observercenter »

Offline Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #16009 on: 12/04/2012 22:50:27 »
Is Dr. Goldmeier a psychiatrist??? He's referred to as a psychiatrist on the show.

(I was under the impression that he was either an allergist or a urologist.)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16010 on: 12/04/2012 22:54:44 »

Stefanie, you're right, you can download our new [Australian TV POIS Documentary]!  Go to this link
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/vodcast/default.htm

Download "The Trouble with Sex"
POIS show is about 1/2way into vid

Extended version of the ABC Documentary at this link: http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/orgasm/

Interviews with Dr.Waldinger, David Goldmeier and Agnes Kocsis.

« Last Edit: 12/04/2012 22:57:10 by demografx »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #16011 on: 13/04/2012 03:02:49 »
Extended version of the ABC Documentary at this link: http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/orgasm/

nice for different perspective on anxiety nothing against dr goldmeier and kocsis they were sounding like it is all in your head theory

Offline Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #16012 on: 13/04/2012 03:36:51 »

nice for different perspective on anxiety nothing against dr goldmeier and kocsis they were sounding like it is all in your head theory

I agree with you, Cc.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16013 on: 13/04/2012 04:54:18 »
CC, nordnurse, that concerns me: I feel like running away fast whenever I hear anything remotely close to "POIS? Oh, sure: It's all in your head!".

That stupid and damaging POIS "appraisal" by too many medical professionals and laypersons alike needs to be destroyed.

By us.
« Last Edit: 13/04/2012 06:28:27 by demografx »

Offline matsoda

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16014 on: 13/04/2012 06:17:40 »
I saw the documentary on ABC, absolutely awesome work! Kudos guys, I feel truely greatful for all the progress that has been made so far. I can't thank you guys enough.

I haven't visited the site for quite a while. Just wanted to say that my POIS symptoms continue to improve. They are now about 20-25% of the intensity they used to be 5-10 years ago. I still get many of the symptoms but they are now manageable and more transient. I've found a few things that definately help eleviate/mask the symptoms (like garlic, olive leaf extract, etc). I plan to trial Niacin and Fenugeek this week (many thanks to those who shared their success with those treatments).

Please note, I have had a great deal of success with my POIS over the years by treating the symptoms as related to 'toxic load'. I always felt like my body had been literally posioned after 'O'. So I proceeded down the path to combat oxidation and toxicity. Strong antioxidants (Grape Seed extract 200mg/day, Acai Berry Powder) and Superfoods (Wheat Grass Powder, Noni Juice, Spirulina, Chorela) have improved my base line health dramatically, and improved my ability to absorb most of my symptoms. I also recently tried a different kind of antioxidant that works at the cellular level called 'Protandim' and that did also make a noticeable difference.

I was originally diagnosed with CFS at the onset of my POIS symptoms, so those that are suffering the flu-like effects (i.e. toxic load) of POIS will likley be able to benefit greatly by using antioxidants and superfoods. I certainly worked for me but don't expect a fast fix, it was a ongoing improvement over many years.

Kudos!  :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16015 on: 13/04/2012 06:48:42 »
matsoda, many thanks for sharing your successful history!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16016 on: 13/04/2012 06:50:48 »

I always felt like my body had been literally poisoned after 'O'.

Me, too.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16017 on: 13/04/2012 07:13:43 »

Hi everyone,

10 days back, I decided to not to have orgasm for next one or one and half month and I wanted to see how I will be free in Non-POIS period.

In this forum, I read that Niacin will reduce the POIS symptoms.  In our area, Niacin tablets is not available.  Hence I decided to use B.Complex (which contain Niacin) tablets instead of Niacin.  11 days back i decided to have orgasm and I have taken B.complex tablets 4 hours before the orgasm.  After 4 hours of orgasm, I took another B.complex tablet.  Further I also used Garlic.    In the first day of orgasm, I noticed reduction in POIS symptoms and I recovered from POIS symptoms in just 3 and half days completely.  From fourth day onwards I am completely relived from POIS symptoms and I started enjoying the days (after long time in my life) and i got peace in my mind.  From the fourth day I started meeting with my old friends and spend a time with them.  During these days, I was very happy, my concentration level is very high with good memory power and I was enjoying the days. 
 Yesterday, it was my 10th day after "O" and I gone to movie with my friends in a very good mood and enjoyment.  In the beginning of the movie, my mind has calmness, good concentration level and happiness exist. 

In the middle of  movie there was a Romantic scene and Sexual scene for 5 minutes.   While watching the scene I was normal and I did't observed any thing at that time.  But after coming out from the theater I was experienced the first day of POIS symptoms.  I did't able to drive cleraly while going to home and my mind started to exhaust and my concentration level and memory power hit a worst and in the night (during sleep) i got many dreams (I usually got more dreams in POIS period, i don't know the reason why it is like this, I can say it is excessive dreaming that will happen in POIS period).   Today the symptoms reached worst.  The symptoms were same as second day after "O" and now it is confirmed for me that I experiencing POIS symptoms without had "O" and these symptoms triggered by just watching a 4 minutes romance and Sexual scene in a movie.   

Hi, does anyone has experienced this? and how POIS triggered by just watching a sexual scene in a movie.

I have experienced this on a couple of occasions and dont view really explicit adult content on purpose anymore.  If you believe in Dr. Waldingers theory this could be easily explained by pre-ejaculatory fluid priming the ducting in your urethra and other reproductive lumens.  It is not necessary to see pre-ejaculatory fluid leaking from the penis for it to be present internally all throughout the ejaculatory ducting. 

What happens actually in ejaculatory ducting? What is it?

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #16018 on: 13/04/2012 07:14:47 »
l1_prior -  I've always wanted to try Modafinil.    But part of me wonders if it doesn't just have the same effect as ritalin or adderall.  Those help clear my brain fog/ anxiety in a way that sounds akin to how Modafinil helps you.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16019 on: 13/04/2012 07:17:40 »
I'm looking for ways to reduce my caffeine and ritalin intake.

They help my POIS, but they both increase my nausea!

Seeing my gastroenterologist in the morning to see what I can do.

Offline l1_prior

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16020 on: 13/04/2012 10:43:36 »
l1_prior -  I've always wanted to try Modafinil.    But part of me wonders if it doesn't just have the same effect as ritalin or adderall.  Those help clear my brain fog/ anxiety in a way that sounds akin to how Modafinil helps you.

I haven't tried ritalin or adderall, or done too much research into them. All are used as nootropics, and all seem to work by modifying dopamine levels. However, modafinil seems the most benign of the three in that the potential for abuse is low and there is no crash after use.

I'm looking for ways to reduce my caffeine and ritalin intake.

They help my POIS, but they both increase my nausea!

I've read that sulbutiamine has a similar effect to caffeine without the side effects. I have not yet tried it, but intend to do so.

Offline edhawk10

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16021 on: 13/04/2012 20:37:19 »
Hey guys, i'd just like to thank all of you for keeping this place going and adding so much helpful info.

I've struggled with this for the past 2 years and just recently found out about POIS. Few weeks back i was at my doc and told him about my increased anxiety and he gave me meds but it makes my symptoms worse (brain fog, dizzy, memory problems, feeling extremely cold(sometimes too hot).

I can't go more than a week without having an orgasm which i guess explains why i only feel good for 1-2 day during any week(symptoms last 3-5 days usually)

I wanted to ask how well do you guys sleep and what do you take to get good sleep?..I've noticed that during times when i can't sleep well, my brain fog is that much worse(almost unbearable to do anything).

« Last Edit: 13/04/2012 20:52:07 by edhawk10 »

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #16022 on: 14/04/2012 00:54:01 »
After watching the extended interviews with Dr. Goldmeier and Agnes Kocsis -- in my opinion, they gave VERY 'psychologized' assessments of what POIS is.  The picture that comes across from those interviews is: these are 'highly anxious' people who then have 'psychosomatic' symptoms and 'attribute' it to ejaculation.  The interviewer asks "So this is not something that would show up in a medical test?" and Dr. Goldmeier say that that's correct, it wouldn't show up in a medical test -- with the implication that this is because it is psychological.

I don't want to make an assessment of whether this is what they intended to convey, but that's sure what comes across pretty darn clearly!

CC, nordnurse, that concerns me: I feel like running away fast whenever I hear anything remotely close to "POIS? Oh, sure: It's all in your head!".

That stupid and damaging POIS "appraisal" by too many medical professionals and laypersons alike needs to be destroyed.

By us.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16023 on: 14/04/2012 03:15:47 »

After watching the extended interviews with Dr. Goldmeier and Agnes Kocsis -- in my opinion, they gave VERY 'psychologized' assessments of what POIS is.  The picture that comes across from those interviews is: these are 'highly anxious' people who then have 'psychosomatic' symptoms and 'attribute' it to ejaculation.  The interviewer asks "So this is not something that would show up in a medical test?" and Dr. Goldmeier say that that's correct, it wouldn't show up in a medical test -- with the implication that this is because it is psychological.

I don't want to make an assessment of whether this is what they intended to convey, but that's sure what comes across pretty darn clearly!

CC, nordnurse, that concerns me: I feel like running away fast whenever I hear anything remotely close to "POIS? Oh, sure: It's all in your head!". That stupid and damaging POIS "appraisal" by too many medical professionals and laypersons alike needs to be destroyed. By us.

Guthrie, many thanks for pointing out some serious concerns about "psychologizing POIS"!
« Last Edit: 14/04/2012 04:22:50 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16024 on: 14/04/2012 04:53:20 »

I've read that sulbutiamine has a similar effect to caffeine without the side effects. I have not yet tried it, but intend to do so.

Fascinating!

Thank you for that.

(It just might solve my decades-long dilemma with coffee!).

Click here for wikipedia's take on sulbutiamine.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16024 on: 14/04/2012 04:53:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length