The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6448817 times)

Offline manutao

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #16300 on: 02/05/2012 10:26:09 »
i recently discovered that the symptoms of "neurasthenia" are quiet smiliar to POIS symptoms.
newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurasthenia [nonactive]

also remarkable that freud saw masturbation and the depletion of libido as a possible cause of neurasthenia..hmm.
« Last Edit: 02/05/2012 10:28:49 by manutao »

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #16301 on: 02/05/2012 11:02:32 »

That is how I felt once I first started taking vitamin C 1500 mg every day.  It wasn't the "cure" in the moment, but I believe it led me to something.  I'm still not taking any supplements and sleeping very well.  I just "O'd" about 15 minutes ago.  Currently I have no POIS symptoms, just calm, I will update as time goes on.  I still have not had any POIS after that "headache" went away.  Maybe it's the continued use of vitamin C, and than adding in the sea salt.  I gave, what did I say, about 2 1/2 months just vitamin C and than for about 2 weeks adding in the sea salt.  Claritin may or may not have played a role in it.  I took claritin for about 2 months when I started the vitamin C.  Part of why I am feeling really good is that I am also sleeping really well.  I also forgot to state that my acne did clear up when I was taking the sea salt and C... I have very mild acne, but noticed an improvement.

UPDATE:
  It's been a couple of hours since I've "O'd" 3 times and still no POIS, just calm and normal.  I, myself, actually believe I no longer have this... 100% honesty.  Normally, I would be in full blown POIS at most 30 minutes after "O".  It's just a miracle to me.  Believe me or not, this is how I feel.  I will make another update tomorrow about how i am feeling.

GoingCrazy, how would you describe this "headache", did you have it during these POIS years? I am really glad that you are having success!

Offline fidalgo

• View Profile
« Reply #16302 on: 02/05/2012 16:49:30 »
Does anyone with POIS regularly drink alcohol? I don't like drinking at all, it stimulates POIS type symptoms.

I always drink alcohol (three times a week) and I donīt see thar my POIS get worst because of that. But, definitely, it is not a normal drunk, but a POIS drunk. But I like to dringo, because It gives more happy to my libefe, what POIS have get from me...

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #16303 on: 02/05/2012 16:57:16 »
Hi, I observed an interesting fact in my POIS.  I have taken many treatment/ medication to reduce the POIS symptoms.  I observed that, for some treatment/medicine my POIS symptoms reduced initially (for 15 to 20 days), but afterwords, those medicine become ineffective for POIS and it not at all helps to reduce POIS symptoms.  I have  experience this for 15 to 20 medicines which are worked initially but now they are almost dead.  Whether any of you experienced like this. 

Further, in POIS period, I stammer a lot.  People around me thought that I am a Stammering person.  But in Non-POIS period, I was completely free from Stammering and I will speak perfectly.  Can any body explain why Stammering is coming in POIS period along with other symptoms of POIS

Offline makrofag

• View Profile
« Reply #16304 on: 02/05/2012 17:27:52 »
So anyone has tried L-histidine as it was suggested a long time ago?? 200 mg gives me runny nose after 15 mins and a feeling of thousands of micro needles running across the body. So far pretty interesting. Sort of like Niacin but different.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #16305 on: 03/05/2012 00:07:01 »

That is how I felt once I first started taking vitamin C 1500 mg every day.  It wasn't the "cure" in the moment, but I believe it led me to something.  I'm still not taking any supplements and sleeping very well.  I just "O'd" about 15 minutes ago.  Currently I have no POIS symptoms, just calm, I will update as time goes on.  I still have not had any POIS after that "headache" went away.  Maybe it's the continued use of vitamin C, and than adding in the sea salt.  I gave, what did I say, about 2 1/2 months just vitamin C and than for about 2 weeks adding in the sea salt.  Claritin may or may not have played a role in it.  I took claritin for about 2 months when I started the vitamin C.  Part of why I am feeling really good is that I am also sleeping really well.  I also forgot to state that my acne did clear up when I was taking the sea salt and C... I have very mild acne, but noticed an improvement.

UPDATE:
  It's been a couple of hours since I've "O'd" 3 times and still no POIS, just calm and normal.  I, myself, actually believe I no longer have this... 100% honesty.  Normally, I would be in full blown POIS at most 30 minutes after "O".  It's just a miracle to me.  Believe me or not, this is how I feel.  I will make another update tomorrow about how i am feeling.

GoingCrazy, how would you describe this "headache", did you have it during these POIS years? I am really glad that you are having success!

Observer, it wasn't your average headache.  What it felt like was mainly pressure, that kept on moving to different sides of my head.  I went to the chiropractor and also tried every otc available and I still felt it.  It was just very weird, I had that "ache" I would say the whole time I had POIS.  It might have had something to do with my spinal cord but I don't know.  When the pain left my head, on rare occasions, I would feel pressure on my tailbone or some other part of my spine.  It was just really annoying.  When I had an "O", I would feel this pain move to the back of my head, like it moves to high pressure areas.  I used to feel it 24/7 and it used to prevent me from getting good sleep, now it is gone.

UPDATE #2:  Still no POIS and I slept great.  Day 1 is usually hell for me, I can tell you now it is no longer there and I am taking no supplements.  I actually feel a little too calm.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #16306 on: 03/05/2012 02:08:51 »
GoingCrazy, I think I once experienced the sort of pressure in the brain feeling during the second week I was on an antidepressant called Effexor. It was a constant feeling that I couldn't forget about and along with it there was a significant reduction in my intelligence. Thankfully it stopped a week or two after ceasing the drug.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #16307 on: 03/05/2012 02:52:55 »
So anyone has tried L-histidine as it was suggested a long time ago?? 200 mg gives me runny nose after 15 mins and a feeling of thousands of micro needles running across the body. So far pretty interesting. Sort of like Niacin but different.
Thats very interesting, let us know how it goes with L histadine.  I have considered trying it myself for quite a while, but have never gone through with buying it.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #16308 on: 03/05/2012 06:08:22 »
GoingCrazy, I think I once experienced the sort of pressure in the brain feeling during the second week I was on an antidepressant called Effexor. It was a constant feeling that I couldn't forget about and along with it there was a significant reduction in my intelligence. Thankfully it stopped a week or two after ceasing the drug.

That's good to hear that it went away after you stopped using the anti-depressant.  But my headache was constant and not caused by any medication I was using or anything, just my body itself.  That's actually probably a side effect for using antidepressants, as it messes with the serotonin in your brain, it's the same mechanism that causes headaches and migraines. (I believe)

Offline makrofag

• View Profile
« Reply #16309 on: 03/05/2012 06:21:39 »
Lauracostis: Well the effects have been so far quite interesting but I can't put my finger on it quite yet.

Also because I technically have a beta-alanine / l-histidine powder supplementation combination (from a bodybuilding supplement shop) so after some reading i'm not not sure which active ingredient is causing what.. but the effects are repeatable and stable and do not resemble an placebo effect.

I really reckon somebody else should try it out too but maybe only with a pure L-histidine (without beta-alanine mixed in). It's easy to get in most of bodybuilding shops (the one I went in was just fresh out of the pure L-histidine powder, that's why I ended up with the 2 in 1 mix).

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16310 on: 03/05/2012 17:24:02 »

I really reckon somebody else should try it out too

NO!

This is exactly what NOT to say here.

Please read my warning posts on the previous pages!

« Last Edit: 03/05/2012 17:37:15 by demografx »

Offline makrofag

• View Profile
« Reply #16311 on: 03/05/2012 17:44:46 »
Demografx : Did I market it as a cure? Did I sound really overly excited about it? Did I even say it improved anything? Sorry but nope... but I think I want to say that Niacin (pioneers) veterans should be first to check it out.
« Last Edit: 03/05/2012 17:48:41 by makrofag »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16312 on: 03/05/2012 18:00:23 »

Sorry but nope.

Well then, you're forcing me to post it this way, perhaps make this more understandable?

edit
I really reckon recklessly post that somebody else should try it out too

Our pages have been read nearly 2,000,000 times!

edit...not only by "niacin pioneers/veterans".

« Last Edit: 03/05/2012 23:13:40 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16313 on: 03/05/2012 18:01:42 »
Please read what I wrote about the other readers (the majority).

They do not have the sophistication your message requires.

Not the pioneers/veterans. Of course they understand.

That is what PM's (Private Messages) are for. You can easily say this to the few well-known Niacin pioneers/veterans - without swaying a desperate, will-try-anything, newcomer who is clueless.

makrofag, I don't mean to be harsh, and you are a good forum contributor, but I learned this from 5 years of listening to our members, both posters and silent readers (the latter is the majority of our audience).

More than once I have recommended suicide hotlines and emergency room treatment centers here, both publicly and privately.  And told desperate newbies to NOT rush out and try drug/supplement "X" but find a good doctor instead.

« Last Edit: 04/05/2012 02:25:14 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16314 on: 04/05/2012 00:40:25 »
Yes, your $5 will help!!

Offline Robtabasco51

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16315 on: 04/05/2012 02:46:50 »
I was given trileptal for mood swings and I had an O yesterday and no POIS symptoms.  I thought I should get the word out.  Of course I can't find the bottle but I'm sure it is a minimal dose.  Hope someone else can confirm my results

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #16316 on: 04/05/2012 04:17:47 »
I was given trileptal for mood swings and I had an O yesterday and no POIS symptoms.  I thought I should get the word out.  Of course I can't find the bottle but I'm sure it is a minimal dose.  Hope someone else can confirm my results
You should wait a month to see if the results are sustained  before reporting the effects of a one time use, especially the first use which often gives false results that are not sustained with further use.   
Please Don't feel like I am trying to give you a hard time about reporting your results here.

Offline Hoping

• View Profile
« Reply #16317 on: 04/05/2012 04:48:12 »

That's good to hear that it went away after you stopped using the anti-depressant.  But my headache was constant and not caused by any medication I was using or anything, just my body itself.  That's actually probably a side effect for using antidepressants, as it messes with the serotonin in your brain, it's the same mechanism that causes headaches and migraines. (I believe)

Goingcrazy and Vincent, I too experience a constant headache. It's never really gone and seems to get worse in POIS. It feels like pressure more than a true "headache." It's almost as if my brain and/or sinuses are swollen, and it hurts when I apply pressure to my face/skull. Is that similar to what you are describing? I've seen neurologists about it and got a head CT scan a few years ago to rule out any serious conditions. Everything came back negative.
« Last Edit: 04/05/2012 04:51:10 by Hoping »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16318 on: 04/05/2012 05:50:35 »
Robtabasco51, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!  We believe that 2012 is POIS' Breakthrough Year. We hope to launch serious POIS Medical Research. A great time to be here.     

**(If you have any technical questions, please feel free to PM (private message) Daveman or me -- or another forum member - - go towards the end of this welcome message (after the 5 available research articles are described) for instuctions on how to send PM. We'll be happy to explain.)***

If you haven't already done so, but would like to like to join the new forum,  send "daveman" a PM here at the Naked Science Forum.

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Click here to see Mat780's excellent YouTube POIS Channel.   Mat's YouTube videos include (1) our great new April 12 POIS TV Documentary. A must-see. And (2) The Learning Channel documentary, featuring our forum member "Animus".

Click here to see The POIS reddit post.  Outsiders (non-POISers) spontaneously gifted NORD's POIS Research Grant $1,000+ from this reddit post. Thanks to "mellivora" and "CCconfucius"!

Our POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
Just click here first, and then look for "CHAT" button towards top of page, 4th button to your right!

Our alternate POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion.
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 5-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome "POIS": Case report

Authors:
Abdalla M Attia*, Magda H Al-Ziny, Hossam A Yasien
*Corresponding author: Andrology Unit, Minoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Eygpt

For more info, check out emi_b's  SMF POIS thread:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0;topicseen

POIS Research Studies available Upon Request:

1. and 2. POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggest one possible avenue of treatment.

3. First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD, Ph.D., and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

4. Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

5. British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "My Messages" at the top of this page. Then click "Send Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN YOUR HEAD'! "

It can be very  helpful to you when dealing with medical professionals to point this out. Click to see

POIS' official listing, as recognized by the
National Institutes for Health (NIH), Office of Rare Diseases Research
:

And in Europe: Orphanet now lists POIS on their website. - Click here.

POIS also appears in credible medical sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal (Dr. Selwyn Dexter's study), and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 5 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus our pages have been read nearly 2,000,000 times. Not bad for a rare malady.

Show some of this to your doctor - with pride. Chances are, you know far more about POIS than s/he does. Don't be intimidated by fancy diplomas. It's almost impossible for any one doctor to know much about POIS before you walk into his/her office. Unfortunately, it's up to you to educate them. And if you happen to find yourself with a disagreeable "student"-doctor (you're the teacher), find another doctor. Quickly!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 5 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

« Last Edit: 04/05/2012 15:13:43 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16319 on: 04/05/2012 07:47:23 »

There are more and more sites, blogs and forums talking about Pois. ;)

Great news.

Yes!

B_Jim, you have done an amazing job collecting all the POIS case studies from the many forums, sites, and blogs that you have visited on the internet and reported on POIS here since 2007. Thank you very much for this.

Offline meteo74

• View Profile
A question for all
« Reply #16320 on: 04/05/2012 08:11:43 »

A question for all

Does pois affect the body weight??
for me I think it does!!

Offline Vasian1980

• View Profile
« Reply #16321 on: 04/05/2012 17:23:32 »
It helps get rid of the symptoms  Amino Gold, 3 weeks without symptoms!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16322 on: 04/05/2012 17:25:40 »
Congratulations, Vasian1980.

I hope it continues to work for you.

Offline Vasian1980

• View Profile
« Reply #16323 on: 04/05/2012 17:30:11 »
I tried to be engaged in the gym, the coach gave the bank an amine, in the 1st day, the mood has improved, I did not believe it but for me it started working! Remained at 10 days, then try without them! My symptoms were not just after 0 and after excessive exercise.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16324 on: 04/05/2012 17:32:50 »

A question for all

Does pois affect the body weight??
for me I think it does!!

meteo74, if you wish, you can also post that good question at our polling center.
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?board=15.0

edit: I listed an incorrect link in my earlier post.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16324 on: 04/05/2012 17:32:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums