The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6439112 times)

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #16325 on: 05/05/2012 02:28:45 »

A question for all

Does pois affect the body weight??
for me I think it does!!

I think POIS was causing me to gain some weight, but when I found fenugreek the weight gain stopped. However I may have mistaken the inflammation and swelling of my face and the bloating of my stomach to be weight gain. My actual weight in lbs hasn't changed since before I got POIS, but I've lost a lot of muscle since then.

Offline alphaq

• View Profile
« Reply #16326 on: 05/05/2012 03:55:10 »
Here is one interesting question for everyone:

Did you remember the details of the instance or day that POIS first started occuring? Specifically, what I mean is this:

- Do you believe that after having one particular orgasm, you felt/knew something was wrong or different? (or was it the next morning?)
- Anything different/remarkable about how you were masturbating/having sex, or the frequency of masturbation that day or week?

Why I ask this is the instance when POIS first started for me was one night I was masturbating lying down facing up, and this was a week where it was almost excessive (1+ times a day). And right after that particular orgasm something felt strange inside my head. It felt like as if suddenly something was different. The next day I woke up and during the daytime pressure started building up in my head and I started thinking less clearly. That was how POIS started for me.

Anyone want to share their experience?

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #16327 on: 05/05/2012 04:03:57 »

Did you remember the details of the instance or day that POIS first started occuring? Specifically, what I mean is this:

- Do you believe that after having one particular orgasm, you felt/knew something was wrong or different? (or was it the next morning?)
- Anything different/remarkable about how you were masturbating/having sex, or the frequency of masturbation that day or week?

Why I ask this is the instance when POIS first started for me was one night I was masturbating lying down facing up, and this was a week where it was almost excessive (1+ times a day). And right after that particular orgasm something felt strange inside my head. It felt like as if suddenly something was different. The next day I woke up and during the daytime pressure started building up in my head and I started thinking less clearly. That was how POIS started for me.

Anyone want to share their experience?

alphaq, Yes I had a similar experience to start my POIS. It happened at the moment of orgasm, felt like something 'shut off' in my head. It has not since turned back on and my POIS is constant, Not just a certain number of days. I have not been the same since.

Offline alphaq

• View Profile
« Reply #16328 on: 05/05/2012 05:16:21 »
alphaq, Yes I had a similar experience to start my POIS. It happened at the moment of orgasm, felt like something 'shut off' in my head. It has not since turned back on and my POIS is constant, Not just a certain number of days. I have not been the same since.

Yeah, the answer to this question might give some insight on the mechanics of POIS. For me, it's rather strange/interesting that POIS seemed to start immediately after one particular orgasm. Before that, there were pretty much no symptoms at all.

I suppose for some people it could be different?

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #16329 on: 05/05/2012 07:59:04 »

A question for all

Does pois affect the body weight??
for me I think it does!!

I think POIS was causing me to gain some weight, but when I found fenugreek the weight gain stopped. However I may have mistaken the inflammation and swelling of my face and the bloating of my stomach to be weight gain. My actual weight in lbs hasn't changed since before I got POIS, but I've lost a lot of muscle since then.
From my perspective it does the opposite. An orgasm kind of like boosts my metabolism and advsersely effects my appetite. I have a hard time putting on weight. I remember seeing some pois + body type survey (not a large number of responses though) and I thought it was skewed (not significant indicator though) to pois sufferers being on the underweight side.
Well meteo, what effect do you suspect pois is having on your weight?

Offline meteo74

• View Profile
« Reply #16330 on: 05/05/2012 15:32:47 »
For me The symptoms was gradually not suddenly.

Offline meteo74

• View Profile
« Reply #16331 on: 05/05/2012 15:35:03 »
I woud ask u what is amine and where I can get it and how to use??

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16332 on: 05/05/2012 17:55:16 »
I woud ask u what is amine and where I can get it and how to use??
Sounds like an amino acid supplement. Many of the amino acids have an effect on the creation and regulation of neurotransmitters.
Examples include L-Tyrosine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrosine) , L-Tryptophan and Phenylalanine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylalanine). These are all found in complete proteins like whey (commonly used by weight lifters), soy, eggs and certain algae like spirulina.

When you think about what weight lifters use these supplements for (recovering from extreme physical exertion) then it's possible that they have an effect on POIS recovery. I found they did but they weren't a complete solution for me.

Even if you're lactose intolerant there are some whey proteins available which have very low lactose content, probiotics and little or no artificial sweeteners or flavours. Stuff I wouldn't mind taking every day (& I did :)). I used to use one. Not all amino acid supplements fall into this category and I found some very difficult to digest which is how I ended up taking algae.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16333 on: 05/05/2012 21:07:31 »
As a lactose intolerant, I'm glad to hear this, kurtosis.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16334 on: 05/05/2012 21:41:55 »

Did you remember the details of the instance or day that POIS first started occuring?

Excellent question.

I do not remember and wish I could.

I usually say "my POIS began 30+ years ago".

Only because that is as far back as I can remember connecting-the-dots-between-sex-and-symptoms=POIS. It takes many members here years before they see the connection. Sometimes POIS is really only felt  _two_  days after sex.

Conceivably, POIS for me could have started as far back as 50 years ago.

alphaq, this might be a good question for our polling center:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?board=15.0

« Last Edit: 05/05/2012 22:27:30 by demografx »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #16335 on: 05/05/2012 23:37:23 »

My first symptom was sharp back pain that would happen in the day(s) following orgasm. The back pain went away before long but was replaced with mental distress.

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #16336 on: 06/05/2012 00:28:51 »
When you think about what weight lifters use these supplements for (recovering from extreme physical exertion) then it's possible that they have an effect on POIS recovery. I found they did but they weren't a complete solution for me.

Even if you're lactose intolerant there are some whey proteins available which have very low lactose content, probiotics and little or no artificial sweeteners or flavours. Stuff I wouldn't mind taking every day (& I did :)). I used to use one. Not all amino acid supplements fall into this category and I found some very difficult to digest which is how I ended up taking algae.

I have taken WPI (Whey Protein Isolate) on and off over the years, with some brands indicationg that it had been processed to such a level that no lactose remained. Its superior to whey or WPC in this regard. After a little while though I still would have trouble with it which was a shame as it is such a great source of protien with great amino acid profile. As part of a gym program though I was taking multiple scoops each day, every day...increasing intolerance (not allergy) to something in it...maybe its not the lactose but just the protien source. I had a blood test that showed I was fine for goats milk, and initally I was, but after a little while I ended up with continuous digestive troubles. Since I do go to the gym, I take extra protein with Hempseed Protein + Pea Protein and tolerate these. I dont think whey will make a huge difference for anyone here as regards pois, but if they do go to the gym, then yes it will. I know when I took extra protein supplements I felt a lot better with my gym program (hair + skin + sleep + anxiety + muscle definition were better) Whey is big business now but not too long ago it was considered worthless by product and thrown away.

Offline 0002ppdnuos

• View Profile
« Reply #16337 on: 06/05/2012 02:45:17 »
I've been taking 2g of Vitamin C (Nature Made, 500mg), and drinking 4 glasses of high-calcium milk (Anlene, high-calcium milk powder) daily during my POIS (caused by nocturnal emission). I actually feel the difference (my symptoms are mainly in my brain). I'll continue with this approach and see if it further improves my symptoms. I'm on abstinence too. 

Besides, I found the following book contains lots of practical information on nutrition (from which we could gain inspiration on finding the cure for POIS): Adelle Davis, Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit. It's very helpful to me.

The following websites contains lots of information on cortisol and its effects on our body. I list them down in an order of their usefulness. I hope it saves your time in searching the cortisol-related information:
http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm [nofollow]
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/757599.html [nofollow]
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=252375 [nofollow]

I'd ordered Relora from Vitacost as well. I'll try it when it reaches me in the mid of May.

*Thanks warriors, you made me feel like I'm not fighting it all alone.*
« Last Edit: 06/05/2012 09:26:49 by 0002ppdnuos »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16338 on: 06/05/2012 05:43:04 »
Welcome back, warrior : - )

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16339 on: 06/05/2012 11:14:43 »

I have taken WPI (Whey Protein Isolate) on and off over the years, with some brands indicationg that it had been processed to such a level that no lactose remained. Its superior to whey or WPC in this regard. After a little while though I still would have trouble with it which was a shame as it is such a great source of protien with great amino acid profile. As part of a gym program though I was taking multiple scoops each day, every day...increasing intolerance (not allergy) to something in it...maybe its not the lactose but just the protien source. I had a blood test that showed I was fine for goats milk, and initally I was, but after a little while I ended up with continuous digestive troubles. Since I do go to the gym, I take extra protein with Hempseed Protein + Pea Protein and tolerate these. I dont think whey will make a huge difference for anyone here as regards pois, but if they do go to the gym, then yes it will. I know when I took extra protein supplements I felt a lot better with my gym program (hair + skin + sleep + anxiety + muscle definition were better) Whey is big business now but not too long ago it was considered worthless by product and thrown away.

I know. Most of the cheese manufacturers near where I live make as much or more money from supplying ingredients to sports supplements companies as they do from boring old cheese and milk. Funny how times change. I think WPI with creatine and glutamine will undoubtedly have some effect on cognitive symptoms as some amino acids in isolation and the other 2 ingredients have been shown to have a beneficial effect on mental stamina as well as physical stamina. This was my experience and is aside from any concerns about the long term safety of ingesting creatine or L-glutamine.

But if POIS has an autoimmune element then POIS sufferers may have problems in extracting the nutrients from these foods and would eventually become allergic to them. That was my experience which is why I ended up taking algae capsules and vitamin C every morning. I felt the protein was doing me good but I just couldn't stomach, literally, drinking more whey protein. I tried soya protein too but that was worse and gave me really bad gas.

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #16340 on: 06/05/2012 16:52:49 »
Hi everyone,

I tried Vitamin C tablet with sea salt for 15 days under the supervision of doctor.  For first 5 days, I felt a dramatical improvement in recovery of POIS symptoms.  But after words as usual, this medicine is also become dead / inactive (after successful for few days).  I don't know why this is happen in POIS.  I have experienced 20 to 25 medicines which worked initially, but as time moves (within 15 days), the medicine will inactive and not respond to in positive way. 

My doctor also astonished after seeing my results and he does not know how the medicine iniitially works and later become inactive and finally he quits his treatment.   He suggested there is no problem physical and he concluded POIS for me is a pyschological one which is caused by negative energy / black magic  and he suggested to go in this way and he has the assurance that there will be cure.    I apologies for mentioning this negative energy / black magic in this science forum.  I not at all has belief in these aspects.  But due to my doctors advice, I am going to go in this way and lets see what will happen.

What is your views about this? Is any one think, whether POIS is because of negative energy in mind / black magic / misconception about sex in mind?  As any one tried this option?

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16341 on: 06/05/2012 17:31:47 »
Hi everyone,

I tried Vitamin C tablet with sea salt for 15 days under the supervision of doctor.  For first 5 days, I felt a dramatical improvement in recovery of POIS symptoms.  But after words as usual, this medicine is also become dead / inactive (after successful for few days).  I don't know why this is happen in POIS.  I have experienced 20 to 25 medicines which worked initially, but as time moves (within 15 days), the medicine will inactive and not respond to in positive way. 

My doctor also astonished after seeing my results and he does not know how the medicine iniitially works and later become inactive and finally he quits his treatment.   He suggested there is no problem physical and he concluded POIS for me is a pyschological one which is caused by negative energy / black magic  and he suggested to go in this way and he has the assurance that there will be cure.    I apologies for mentioning this negative energy / black magic in this science forum.  I not at all has belief in these aspects.  But due to my doctors advice, I am going to go in this way and lets see what will happen.

What is your views about this? Is any one think, whether POIS is because of negative energy in mind / black magic / misconception about sex in mind?  As any one tried this option?
It does seem slightly odd that your doctor is talking about negative energy and black magic.  That said you may be feeling so depressed and anxious about POIS that that needs to be treated aswell. What did your doctor say exactly?

Offline 0002ppdnuos

• View Profile
« Reply #16342 on: 07/05/2012 03:03:26 »

Based on my 20 years of POIS experience, I totally don't think it is due to negative energy in mind / black magic / misconception about sex in mind. However, in my humble opinion, our psychological condition does affect hormone secretion, and hence is indirectly inducing the occurance of POIS.

Offline meteo74

• View Profile
« Reply #16343 on: 07/05/2012 08:00:10 »
of course no,

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16344 on: 07/05/2012 13:18:07 »

THANKS, EDS!!!

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #16345 on: 07/05/2012 15:47:36 »
Last night I tried taking niacin sublingually in order to get a flush without having to fast, but it didn't work. I took the same amount I usually take when I fast (300mg) and I let the powder from the first two 100mg caps sit under my tongue for 5 min each then I just swallowed the powder from the third cap right away.

My stomach wasn't completely stuffed. I would say it was about 1/2 to 3/4 full or at least felt like it. I'm not sure if the niacin had it's usual effect - I'll report on that later.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16346 on: 07/05/2012 19:27:32 »
Last night I tried taking niacin sublingually in order to get a flush without having to fast, but it didn't work. I took the same amount I usually take when I fast (300mg) and I let the powder from the first two 100mg caps sit under my tongue for 5 min each then I just swallowed the powder from the third cap right away.

My stomach wasn't completely stuffed. I would say it was about 1/2 to 3/4 full or at least felt like it. I'm not sure if the niacin had it's usual effect - I'll report on that later.

I usually take 100mg in a closed capsule, if that doesn't do it I put 50mg morepowder directly on the tongue, and wait, if that doesn't work, 50 more and wait etc. Until about 300mg (even after fasting).

However Sun night. I said the hell with it, I had recently eaten something so I took 200mg powder directly on the tongue and got a flush within about 7 min.

So it seems that taking it in minor doses  even though they are separated only by 15 minutes, isn't as powerful.

If you are used to 300, I think it should be safe to take the whole 300 in powder form, especially if you have recently eaten.

If you have never taken niacin, don't start with 300mg, especially in powdered form directly on the tongue. You should know your dosage before doing this. Even then, first trials should be on the light side.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16347 on: 07/05/2012 20:50:58 »
See, everyone?

This is a  _GROUP_  effort.

Sorry, loners!

: - )

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16348 on: 07/05/2012 21:49:25 »
Testosterone (TRT) watchers:

Started my treatment in 2009. Just now reduced my testosterone dosage 50% and I'm still POIS-free for several months.

I will now further reduce an additional 20% of my daily dosage to 8mg/daily patches to see if I remain POIS-free.

Part of the reason behind my reduction is that Watson Pharma, the manufacture of my Androderm patches, just changed their patch-dosage to either 4mg or 6mg instead of the 5mg (x3=15mg daily is my Rx) that I've been taking these last 2 and 1/2 years.

My choice was to up the dosage or come down. My GP chose the higher dose, I chose the latter. I now realize that POIS must be a JOINT-EFFORT or true partnership between physician and POIS-patient. Why? Because we know more about POIS than the docs do.

If you're interested in exploring TRT for POIS, find yourself an 'open' (a college/university-teaching/research physician is preferred, in my opinion) endocrinologist and make an appointment. Bring Dr. Waldinger's papers (explained below).

At my first appointment, I told my endo that Dr Waldinger's co-author in all his POIS studies, is an endocrinologist, Dr. Dave Schweitzer.

That helped.

Even in 2009 : - )

And...
Study the fertility risks if you want children!

« Last Edit: 08/05/2012 02:17:28 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16349 on: 07/05/2012 22:18:05 »

BECAUSE OF YOUR POSTED REMINDER, HABIBOU, I JUST NOW CONVERTED MY PLEDGE OF AN ADDITIONAL $1,000.00 IN TO SOME HARD CASH - I DONATED THE EXTRA $1,000.00 AS I PROMISED. THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME.

THANK YOU SO MUCH DEMO !!! This is such a huge amount and I wish I could afford to do the same :O

You are very, very welcome, Habibou.

You are a most valued contributor to both forums.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16349 on: 07/05/2012 22:18:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length