The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6430777 times)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #16350 on: 08/05/2012 00:28:29 »
GoingCrazy, I think I once experienced the sort of pressure in the brain feeling during the second week I was on an antidepressant called Effexor. It was a constant feeling that I couldn't forget about and along with it there was a significant reduction in my intelligence. Thankfully it stopped a week or two after ceasing the drug.

That's good to hear that it went away after you stopped using the anti-depressant.  But my headache was constant and not caused by any medication I was using or anything, just my body itself.  That's actually probably a side effect for using antidepressants, as it messes with the serotonin in your brain, it's the same mechanism that causes headaches and migraines. (I believe)

Goingcrazy and Vincent, I too experience a constant headache. It's never really gone and seems to get worse in POIS. It feels like pressure more than a true "headache." It's almost as if my brain and/or sinuses are swollen, and it hurts when I apply pressure to my face/skull. Is that similar to what you are describing? I've seen neurologists about it and got a head CT scan a few years ago to rule out any serious conditions. Everything came back negative.

It does seem very similar to what I had.  Just a constant ache or pressure that wouldn't go away.  Mine would also move around but I no longer have it.  I think maybe once that went away, my POIS went away.  Still symptom free and not supplementing on anything.  I'm starting to think my POIS was a bacterial infection or virus that went away, explanation of constant POIS, but I am not sure.  I am still sleeping very good each night and don't supplement for sleep either.
« Last Edit: 08/05/2012 00:30:12 by GoingCrazy »

Offline Raynman10

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16351 on: 08/05/2012 00:54:08 »
Demo
I am first time poster BUT I just gave $500. US to NORD. R U saying that the patch helped with symptoms? I am looking for anything to help alleviate the depression especially. I have looked at the board and was going to try the antihistamine Zyrtec. I am 63,married and MAYBE have sex 6 times a year and I still pay a big price.  Because of POIS the performance is pretty bad too. I think I made myself crazy. I have gone to Dr.'s for many many years with no diagnosis and finally stumbled onto this board . At least the Doc agrees that this is it. I have a very severe case as I am sure many of you also do. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Itsthatskater

• View Profile
« Reply #16352 on: 08/05/2012 01:32:51 »
I wish someone could still tell me how Me being only 16 years old and being a fully active and healthy teenager become so weak and fatigued for about 48 hours after ejaculation. :(

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #16353 on: 08/05/2012 02:21:47 »
I didn't test to see if niacin had its usual physical strength/endurance improving effects for me, but I'm fairly certain that it didn't improve my POIS-caused exhaustion or cognitive impairment.

Daveman, thanks for the idea about taking the dose all at once instead of in intervals over ~15min as I did. Perhaps I'll try that next time. Also it's good that you also cautioned anyone planning to use niacin in the future that 300mg is a high dose to start off on. In my opinion 100mg is a safe starting dose.
« Last Edit: 08/05/2012 02:23:26 by Vincent M. »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #16354 on: 08/05/2012 02:44:17 »
Raynman10, thanks for your donation!

A side note- I recently realized that fenugreek has been reliably improving my POIS symptoms for a little more than a year now.

Offline Raynman10

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16355 on: 08/05/2012 03:11:14 »
It's my pleasure Vincent
I hope to be able to do more. I know that I can share what I have been through and what drugs I was prescribed over the years. Some years ago I also had pre and post blood work done and my Testosterone levels were high pre & post so It wasn't that. I also get blotches sometimes during a POIS event on chin and mouth area of the skin. I remember my father got the same blotches so I guess it is hereditary. I am interested in the serotonin comments because although I am now a professional my early life was quite stormy. I was addicted to heroin until I was 33 which could explain the brain chemistry.Strange because I did not fit the mold of an addict so to speak. I have been in NA for almost 30 years. I did take some antihistamine this evening since Its been a while with the wife........ 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16356 on: 08/05/2012 03:18:11 »
Raynman10, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!  We believe that 2012 is POIS' Breakthrough Year. We hope to launch serious POIS Medical Research. A great time to be here.     

**(If you have any technical questions, please feel free to PM (private message) Daveman or me -- or another forum member - - go towards the end of this welcome message (after the 5 available research articles are described) for instuctions on how to send PM. We'll be happy to explain.)***

If you haven't already done so, but would like to like to join the new forum,  send "daveman" a PM here at the Naked Science Forum.

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Click here to see Mat780's excellent YouTube POIS Channel.   Mat's YouTube videos include (1) our great new April 12 POIS TV Documentary. A must-see. And (2) The Learning Channel documentary, featuring our forum member "Animus".

Click here to see The POIS reddit post.  Outsiders (non-POISers) spontaneously gifted NORD's POIS Research Grant $1,000+ from this reddit post. Thanks to "mellivora" and "CCconfucius"!

Our POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
Just click here first, and then look for "CHAT" button towards top of page, 4th button to your right!

Our alternate POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion.
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 5-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome "POIS": Case report

Authors:
Abdalla M Attia*, Magda H Al-Ziny, Hossam A Yasien
*Corresponding author: Andrology Unit, Minoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Eygpt

For more info, check out emi_b's  SMF POIS thread:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0;topicseen

POIS Research Studies available Upon Request:

1. and 2. POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggest one possible avenue of treatment.

3. First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD, Ph.D., and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

4. Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

5. British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "My Messages" at the top of this page. Then click "Send Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN YOUR HEAD'! "

It can be very  helpful to you when dealing with medical professionals to point this out. Click to see

POIS' official listing, as recognized by the
National Institutes for Health (NIH), Office of Rare Diseases Research
:

And in Europe: Orphanet now lists POIS on their website. - Click here.

The Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (P.O.I.S.) Forum is listed in the organization database of the National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) -- http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php.  The link for this, through their home page, is --
http://rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/organizations/byID/3136/viewDetail.

POIS also appears in credible medical sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal (Dr. Selwyn Dexter's study), and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 5 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus our pages have been read nearly 2,000,000 times. Not bad for a rare malady.

Show some of this to your doctor - with pride. Chances are, you know far more about POIS than s/he does. Don't be intimidated by fancy diplomas. It's almost impossible for any one doctor to know much about POIS before you walk into his/her office. Unfortunately, it's up to you to educate them. And if you happen to find yourself with a disagreeable "student"-doctor (you're the teacher), find another doctor. Quickly!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 5 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

« Last Edit: 08/05/2012 15:06:00 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16357 on: 08/05/2012 03:28:05 »

R U saying that the patch helped with symptoms?

It basically cured my 30+ year intense bouts of POIS agony (4-day lobotomy sessions : - )

Click here to read some of my earlier posts.

« Last Edit: 08/05/2012 04:32:53 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16358 on: 08/05/2012 04:38:51 »
Raynman10, thanks for your donation!

A side note- I recently realized that fenugreek has been reliably improving my POIS symptoms for a little more than a year now.

Fenugreek has been getting interesting remarks here since 2007!

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #16359 on: 08/05/2012 07:04:57 »
feature=player_embedded#!

I hope we dont have to get to this to raise this money.

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #16360 on: 08/05/2012 12:58:30 »

Here is one interesting question for everyone:

Did you remember the details of the instance or day that POIS first started occuring?

Excellent question.

I do not remember and wish I could.

I usually say "my POIS began 30+ years ago".

Only because that is as far back as I can remember connecting-the-dots-between-sex-and-symptoms=POIS. It takes many members here years before they see the connection. Sometimes POIS is really only felt  _two_  days after sex.

Conceivably, POIS for me could have started as far back as 50 years ago.

alphaq, this might be a good question for our polling center:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?board=15.0

I don't know exactly when my POIS symptoms started. It seems it started from the very first orgasm.  I had an interesting case in my first orgasm.  The first orgasm I had when I was at 16 years of age when I was having bath.  Interesting thing  is I had an orgasm without any stimulation to penis/ masturbation and I not even saw any sexual movies at that time.  Semen released automatically and I had orgasm.  I never heard about the word orgasm and I astonished and surprised about the orgasm and also I shocked what was happening my body.  Later on the next day, I enquired with my friends and they told this was normal. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16361 on: 08/05/2012 14:56:03 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcefXUe2q8g&feature=player_embedded#!

I hope we dont have to get to this to raise this money.

100 Naked Ladies For POIS ???

CC, you're ON to something!!!

Lol !!

YouTube user "noshinya" writes:

"I know it is hard to type with one hand now."

CC, you always have our HEART in your interesting links!!!

: - )

« Last Edit: 08/05/2012 15:57:21 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16362 on: 08/05/2012 16:08:04 »
Daveman, will your software accommodate 100 Naked Ladies For POIS???

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #16363 on: 08/05/2012 18:55:28 »
I am going to participate very soon in a POIS article that is going to appear in the Spainīs newspaper "El Mundo"- and its web-page: http://www.elmundo.es/ (3 million visitors each day, 1 million readers). They have asked me for help and i accepted. I told the journalist that i wanted them to raise the NORD research fund in the article and our current initiatives- and more: I told them that it must be stated very clearly that more research is needed to fight against this condition, despite the fact that some of us have had significant relief- and they completely agree with this view and are well informed. I will bring more news about this in a few days.

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #16364 on: 08/05/2012 21:59:20 »
Fantasitic News Observer !! It is essential that we can bring up the NORD donation plan to raise more money... Very good job!! :)

Offline ejactrouble

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16365 on: 08/05/2012 23:11:15 »
I am terribly sorry.  I tried using the search function, I really did.  My mental state isn't allowing me to comprehend anything I read at the moment.

I am looking for the cure.  After years of psychiatric drugs (over a dozen) and being diagnosed with several mental illnesses (bipolar, anxiety, depression, psychotic behavior, schitzophrenia) I have FINALLY put 2 and 2 together and found out that my problem is due to ejaculation, and not a sudden onset of mental illness (although I DO have mental illness symptoms for days after ejaculation).  This problem has cost me my life, my livelihood, my mental capacity, and my will to live.  I am barely hanging on...

Is it testosterone?  Serotonin?  I read the first few pages but couldn't manage anything more.  I wanted to ask what the possible problem is and if anything helps, before I go lay down for a few hours.  Today is Day 1 after ejaculation.

F*ck my life!
« Last Edit: 08/05/2012 23:12:57 by ejactrouble »

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #16366 on: 08/05/2012 23:43:49 »
I am going to participate very soon in a POIS article that is going to appear in the Spainīs newspaper "El Mundo"- and its web-page: http://www.elmundo.es/ (3 million visitors each day, 1 million readers). They have asked me for help and i accepted. I told the journalist that i wanted them to raise the NORD research fund in the article and our current initiatives- and more: I told them that it must be stated very clearly that more research is needed to fight against this condition, despite the fact that some of us have had significant relief- and they completely agree with this view and are well informed. I will bring more news about this in a few days.
Thats awesome, I have lived in Spain twice and I know for a fact that the Spanish are much more open minded than Americans about things like this. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16367 on: 08/05/2012 23:57:49 »

THANK YOU, observercenter!!!!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16368 on: 09/05/2012 00:04:47 »

F*ck my life!

sent via PM+email
Dear ejactrouble,

Please don't give up.

We have ALL been exactly where you are!

But you have now finally found a group who understands and cares about you!

Send me a private message (or post it here if you wish)...if you'd like some telephone crisis/hotline contact info.

If things get real bad, please check into your nearest hospital emergency room.

Best wishes,
demo

« Last Edit: 09/05/2012 00:19:01 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16369 on: 09/05/2012 00:06:28 »
ejactrouble, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!  We believe that 2012 is POIS' Breakthrough Year. We hope to launch serious POIS Medical Research. A great time to be here.     

**(If you have any technical questions, please feel free to PM (private message) Daveman or me -- or another forum member - - go towards the end of this welcome message (after the 5 available research articles are described) for instuctions on how to send PM. We'll be happy to explain.)***

If you haven't already done so, but would like to like to join the new forum,  send "daveman" a PM here at the Naked Science Forum.

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Click here to see Mat780's excellent YouTube POIS Channel.   Mat's YouTube videos include (1) our great new April 12 POIS TV Documentary. A must-see. And (2) The Learning Channel documentary, featuring our forum member "Animus".

Click here to see The POIS reddit post.  Outsiders (non-POISers) spontaneously gifted NORD's POIS Research Grant $1,000+ from this reddit post. Thanks to "mellivora" and "CCconfucius"!

Our POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
Just click here first, and then look for "CHAT" button towards top of page, 4th button to your right!

Our alternate POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion.
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 5-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome "POIS": Case report

Authors:
Abdalla M Attia*, Magda H Al-Ziny, Hossam A Yasien
*Corresponding author: Andrology Unit, Minoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Eygpt

For more info, check out emi_b's  SMF POIS thread:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0;topicseen

POIS Research Studies available Upon Request:

1. and 2. POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggest one possible avenue of treatment.

3. First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD, Ph.D., and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

4. Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

5. British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "My Messages" at the top of this page. Then click "Send Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN YOUR HEAD'! "

It can be very  helpful to you when dealing with medical professionals to point this out. Click to see

POIS' official listing, as recognized by the
National Institutes for Health (NIH), Office of Rare Diseases Research
:

And in Europe: Orphanet now lists POIS on their website. - Click here.

POIS also appears in credible medical sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal (Dr. Selwyn Dexter's study), and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 5 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus our pages have been read nearly 2,000,000 times. Not bad for a rare malady.

Show some of this to your doctor - with pride. Chances are, you know far more about POIS than s/he does. Don't be intimidated by fancy diplomas. It's almost impossible for any one doctor to know much about POIS before you walk into his/her office. Unfortunately, it's up to you to educate them. And if you happen to find yourself with a disagreeable "student"-doctor (you're the teacher), find another doctor. Quickly!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 5 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16370 on: 09/05/2012 00:32:07 »

I am going to participate very soon in a POIS article that is going to appear in the Spainīs newspaper "El Mundo"- and its web-page: http://www.elmundo.es/ (3 million visitors each day, 1 million readers).

Offline ejactrouble

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16371 on: 09/05/2012 00:50:15 »
Thank you for your quick reply demografx.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16372 on: 09/05/2012 03:11:11 »

Thank you for your quick reply demografx.

My pleasure.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #16373 on: 09/05/2012 06:56:28 »
Raynman, thank you so much for the donation!! That's amazing of you and welcome to the group/ team. I'm interested to hear about what's helped you over the years, if you wouldnt mind sharing. Also, out of curiousity, have you had pois since puberty, or did u develop it later on?

Offline ejactrouble

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16374 on: 09/05/2012 07:10:39 »
Anyone else here get blurry vision after ejaculation?  Vision is the least of my problems, but I can't even look at the computer because my vision is so blurry I can barely focus on anything (very annoying).  Trying to see if my blurriness is due to POIS or something else.

Thanks.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16374 on: 09/05/2012 07:10:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums