The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6458663 times)

Offline ejactrouble

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #16375 on: 09/05/2012 07:45:31 »
Is it possible that POIS has something to do with blood pressure?

I'm asking because last week I had been a week without ejaculation (mentally clear) and went into a weight lifting session (mentally clear).  After doing some heavy deadlifts I immediately felt the typical symptoms I feel after ejaculation (extreme brain fog, blurry vision, physical and mental fatigue, etc.).  I was straining pretty hard on that set and could feel my mind 'snap' and alter itself so I felt completely different than just a moment before.

I don't know what else could have caused this in relation to the weights I was lifting.  What else is in play besides blood pressure?  Oxygen maybe?  Just trying to put 2 and 2 together on how I felt the same way after I did that set and how I normally feel after masturbation + ejaculation.  And if it was blood pressure related, why is blood pressure so high (low?) after ejaculation?  Does the body really put that much stress on itself to get rid of semen (or replace lost semen with bodily fluids)?
« Last Edit: 09/05/2012 07:47:43 by ejactrouble »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16376 on: 09/05/2012 07:51:04 »
Interesting. I've battled high blood pressure all my life.

Offline Vasian1980

• View Profile
« Reply #16377 on: 09/05/2012 08:01:17 »
ejactrouble
Same thing with me! After heavy physical exertion comes confusion and a strong emotional tension is stronger than after sex.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16378 on: 09/05/2012 08:39:10 »
ejactrouble
Same thing with me! After heavy physical exertion comes confusion and a strong emotional tension is stronger than after sex.

Depends what muscles I'm using. I'll sometimes get POIS like symptoms if I'm concentrating on leg muscles. I rarely get symptoms if I'm working my arms, unless I really over exert myself.

Offline ejactrouble

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16379 on: 09/05/2012 09:42:49 »
ejactrouble

Depends what muscles I'm using. I'll sometimes get POIS like symptoms if I'm concentrating on leg muscles. I rarely get symptoms if I'm working my arms, unless I really over exert myself.

Funny you mention that, since I had just completed upper body with no problems (actually I was feeling great!), and the fuse blew in my brain right after my first set of Deadlifts.  So if it worsens with lower body I wonder what the relation is. 

Offline ejactrouble

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16380 on: 09/05/2012 09:50:31 »
ejactrouble

What sucks is that I can't tell if I'm over-exerting myself until it's too late.  I never know where that line is.  They say no pain no gain, and to work your ass off in the gym, but it's a curse for us.

For what it's worth, I've always been very athletic prior to POIS and have very rarely had these symptoms.  It's only been the past couple of years that this whole POIS and brain fog thing has been going on.

I'm 24 by the way, and have been dealing with this for about 3 years now, which is just as long as I've been dealing with the whole psychiatric thing.  I don't know how old everyone is but does this affect men of all ages or just older men?

Offline Vasian1980

• View Profile
« Reply #16381 on: 09/05/2012 10:17:20 »
I'm 25. 10 years bodybuilding, it is there, and came first POI, 2 years ago, in my confusion comes even  sex and hot water to wash my hair 100% immediately apparent effects, and if you cool water  POI does not occur. And I have constant anxiety and sweaty hands was not dependent  abstinence days.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16382 on: 09/05/2012 13:40:27 »
I had severe POIS for 30+ years

Still started a business, raised a family.

Don't ask me how I did it!

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #16383 on: 09/05/2012 14:29:27 »
Talking about POIS in past simple must be a great feeling Demo!

Offline ejactrouble

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16384 on: 09/05/2012 14:30:11 »

Incredible.  Congratulations demo, I don't know if I could have made it that long.  You sure are a fighter.  3 years is plenty for me!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16385 on: 09/05/2012 14:36:21 »
Talking about POIS in past simple must be a great feeling Demo!

Want the truth? I cried when I read that, Starsky

Offline Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #16386 on: 09/05/2012 17:22:50 »

I am going to participate very soon in a POIS article that is going to appear in the Spainīs newspaper "El Mundo"- and its web-page: http://www.elmundo.es/ (3 million visitors each day, 1 million readers).

That's terrific, Observer!!!!!

You are doing so much to raise awareness about POIS!

Looking forward to reading that article (in English!).

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16387 on: 09/05/2012 17:35:39 »
I've updated SMF total donations to $9270

$9270, incredible. We'll soon be in the 5 figures!!

Thanks Demo for your wonderful example. Just your effort alone is worth the world, and on top of it you donate BIG TIME.

You are Mr POIS!

Whether that's a good thing or not......?? Heh, heh

Offline Green

• View Profile
« Reply #16388 on: 09/05/2012 18:14:05 »

Inspirational!

I was doing OK/well and then BAM severe depression hit me, only just returning back to what's normal for me.

Offline gabin

• View Profile
« Reply #16389 on: 09/05/2012 18:29:22 »
Hey guys, has anyone tried anticonvulsants?
I'm about to try one of these as my POIS now resembles more neck and occipital nerve neurolgia with constant headache and neck spasm.

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #16390 on: 09/05/2012 20:00:14 »
I was given trileptal for mood swings and I had an O yesterday and no POIS symptoms.  I thought I should get the word out.  Of course I can't find the bottle but I'm sure it is a minimal dose.  Hope someone else can confirm my results

Yes, Robtabasco51 tried a anticonvulsant Oxcarbazepine before ejaculation and he says it worked for him.
« Last Edit: 09/05/2012 21:19:21 by Starsky »

Offline edhawk10

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16391 on: 10/05/2012 01:57:53 »
I wish i was as strong as demo. Feel like i'm just crazy or something. Being on the computer and reading makes me feel even worse(feel a sudden rush sometimes)...but where else can i go? I feel unstable all the time. If i'm sitting down to eat or something i still feel the same. The strange thing is that if i completely lie down on the bed and kind of relax i can feel a lot better...I wish i had 30K or whatever was needed(even if it's all the money i have)..I'd gladly give it all for this research. This is no life.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16392 on: 10/05/2012 04:48:25 »

Incredible.  Congratulations demo, I don't know if I could have made it that long.  You sure are a fighter.  3 years is plenty for me!

Thank you very much for that, ejactrouble!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16393 on: 10/05/2012 04:49:42 »

Inspirational!

I was doing OK/well and then BAM severe depression hit me, only just returning back to what's normal for me.

Many Thanks, Green!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16394 on: 10/05/2012 04:53:19 »

I wish i was as strong as demo.

No way! If you're alive today, then you're just "as strong as demo"....and probably even stronger.

« Last Edit: 10/05/2012 11:43:39 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16395 on: 10/05/2012 04:58:17 »
I've updated SMF total donations to $9270

$9270, incredible. We'll soon be in the 5 figures!!

Thanks Demo for your wonderful example. Just your effort alone is worth the world, and on top of it you donate BIG TIME.

You are Mr POIS!

Whether that's a good thing or not......?? Heh, heh

Haha. The feeling's mutual, Professor Daveman!
« Last Edit: 10/05/2012 05:26:14 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16396 on: 10/05/2012 05:36:31 »

I am going to participate very soon in a POIS article that is going to appear in the Spainīs newspaper "El Mundo"- and its web-page: http://www.elmundo.es/ (3 million visitors each day, 1 million readers).

That's terrific, Observer!!!!!

You are doing so much to raise awareness about POIS!

Looking forward to reading that article (in English!).

A dream come true!

In the early forum (the wilderness) years, I couldn't even get a Farm Journal to write us up ( I lied and said POISers were all horses : - )
« Last Edit: 12/05/2012 18:54:02 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16397 on: 11/05/2012 01:08:16 »
Begin forwarded message:

Date: May 10, 2012 4:44:49 PM PDT
To: demografx
Subject: Google Alert - Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome POIS

Web   1 new result for Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome POIS

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
I am going to participate very soon in a POIS article that is going to appear in the Spainīs newspaper "El Mundo"- and its web-page: http://www.elmundo.es/ (3 ...
www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576...

This email above to me means that observercenter's work on EL MUNDO has been picked up by Google "spiders", and is now the beginning of our publicity for the POIS Forums' large potential Spanish-speaking audience.

Worldwide.

Thanks again, Observer.
« Last Edit: 12/05/2012 18:30:21 by demografx »

Offline ejactrouble

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16398 on: 11/05/2012 03:40:08 »
Hey guys, has anyone tried anticonvulsants?
I'm about to try one of these as my POIS now resembles more neck and occipital nerve neurolgia with constant headache and neck spasm.

I think this is needed, since I have tried several psychiatric medications prior to knowing I had POIS (thinking it was mental illness).

AEDs (Anti Epileptic Drugs):
Depakote and Lamictal):
I have tried both Depakote and Lamictal, both of which are anti-convulsants.  Neither worked.  When taking these medications the psych would take my blood every so often (2 weeks) to get an appropriate blood level of the medication in my system.  These medications take time to build up in your system and cannot be taken for high doses without first slowly increasing the dose over a long period of time.  If you were to try and shock your system with either Depakote or Lamictal by taking a high dose in hope of eliminating POIS symptoms, you are under MAJOR RISK OF SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS, such as seizures, skin rashes, and so on.  Therefore, taking a high dosage of an anti-convulsant immediately before ejaculation would not matter since the only way to take these medications is slowly (Lamictal takes 6 weeks+ to build up in the system and Depakote 3 weeks+), and the risk of doing significant damage to your body by trying otherwise is not a good idea.
------------------
Mood stabilizers (Lithium)
Lithium:
A mood stabilizer.  This actually has helped my mood somewhat but does nothing to help with POIS symptoms.  NOT EFFECTIVE FOR POIS.

---------------------------
Antipsychotics: (Abilify, Seroquel, Risperdal)
Abilify:  On it for a a month.  Had to keep increasing the dose due to continuous suicidal attempts.  Did not work and was taken off rather quickly.  NOT EFFECTIVE FOR POIS. 

Seroquel:
Terrible drug, made me sleepy all the time.  NOT EFFECTIVE FOR POIS.

Risperdal:
Taking this for the first time tonight.  The psych thinks I'm psychotic (which I am when suffering from POIS symptoms!).  I'll keep you all updated on this medication.  No data available for POIS treatment at this time.
-----------------

Anti-depressants:
Zoloft:
The bright side is that this drug completely stopped my premature ejaculation.  I could continuously thrust for 10 minutes and still not be ready to ejac.  It was also cool because I could control when I wanted to let it out.  The downside is that: 1) it takes a minimum of 3 days to 1 week to get the sexual thing down, meaning you have to continuously take it every day, 2) your sensitivity, enjoyment of sex, and libido plummet (we're talking near-zero), so while you may be able to last forever you keep looking at your watch because you're tired of it, and 3) it did help a little for POIS symptoms.  I'm not sure if it helped because I wasn't having sex/masturbation as much (no desire) or because of the serotonin alteration in the brain.  Be careful with this drug because I went from 25mg to 150mg within 6 months and it was HELL to come off of (yet I hear it's the easiest of the SSRI drugs to stop taking).  It also messes with your natural serotonin production if you take it long term (years).  It did not help depression at all. MINOR IMPROVEMENT OF POIS SYMPTOMS (maybe 20% reduction? nothing worthwhile).

Wellbutrin:
Currently on this medication right now.  I've taken 300mg twice a day, all at once, 150mg morning, night, etc.  I've varied the times and dosages of this medication (like all medications I've taken) quite considerably within the effective dose range.  Has done NOTHING for POIS or depression at all.  NOT EFFECTIVE FOR POIS.
----------------

I'm sure there's more I missed.  Tired, haven't slept, will update tomorrow when I have more time.  On the plus side I'm starting Day 3 of recovering from my last ejac. and will be clear headed in a matter of days.  Then it's celibacy for me!

« Last Edit: 11/05/2012 03:46:13 by ejactrouble »

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #16399 on: 11/05/2012 07:51:32 »
Guys,

Sometimes I really wonder if taking all these medications before and after orgasm (in my case niacin before orgasm and a multitude of supplements within a minute after orgasm) will have bad long term effects for us if we ever choose to stop supplementing ourselves. Even if we don't stop with the supplementation, I wonder if it could be a negative thing for us to put all this 'ammo' in our bodys and brains to deal with sexual activity. Sometimes I feel like it could be messing with our cognitive state as a whole and maybe even our body's ability to recover.

Thoughts?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16399 on: 11/05/2012 07:51:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums