The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6425239 times)

Offline prateek

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #16500 on: 21/05/2012 18:11:27 »
Hi, yesterday, I read the El-Mundo Article about POIS.  I am a general physician in Spain.  I discussed with this my colleagues and professional freinds. Based on this, I have two views of the possible reason for POIS.

a) POIS is becasue of psychological problem:  POIS is becasue of psychological imbalance which may be high anxiety, low esteem, low confidence, etc.  But, in article I read that you stated that it is not in the head.  If you are sure about this, then don't take any treatment in this area.

b) Second view: Yesterday, after reading article, I discussed and met my colleague.  He narrated me a interesting case where he encountered in his profession.  3 years back he has one patient who have the problem of loss of aptitude, brain fog, low confidence, low esteem, frequent attack of hay ever and I felt that those symptoms are similar to what you described here.  The patient also told that his symtoms will increase when he had Sex.   Then my colleague, based on the symptoms, started diagnosis of various aspects.  but nothing detected initially.  After so many trials, finally he ordered for Hepatisis B blood test.  Interestingly, he was affected by Hepatisis B.  Normally, Hepatisis B will transmitted sexually.  But in this case, this virus not spread to his spouse and my colleague finds that this is typical Hepatisis B virus which is not at all transferred to his spouse.  After treatment of 2 months and taking Hepatisis vaccine.  He is now fine and His symtpoms mentioned above disappeared and now he is having a joyful life. 
So, I am supspecting this also may be one of the reason for POIS.  I suggested any 3 or 4 people in this blog to have Hepatisis B test which is very cheap and pl update your result.  Meanwhile, I will collect more information about this from my colleagues. 

thanking you.

Offline fidalgo

• View Profile
« Reply #16501 on: 21/05/2012 19:04:27 »
Hello people... I will start with niacin. How much I have to take and when? There is some best kind of niacin for us?

Thanks

Offline fidalgo

• View Profile
« Reply #16502 on: 21/05/2012 19:06:37 »
Hi, yesterday, I read the El-Mundo Article about POIS.  I am a general physician in Spain.  I discussed with this my colleagues and professional freinds. Based on this, I have two views of the possible reason for POIS.

a) POIS is becasue of psychological problem:  POIS is becasue of psychological imbalance which may be high anxiety, low esteem, low confidence, etc.  But, in article I read that you stated that it is not in the head.  If you are sure about this, then don't take any treatment in this area.

b) Second view: Yesterday, after reading article, I discussed and met my colleague.  He narrated me a interesting case where he encountered in his profession.  3 years back he has one patient who have the problem of loss of aptitude, brain fog, low confidence, low esteem, frequent attack of hay ever and I felt that those symptoms are similar to what you described here.  The patient also told that his symtoms will increase when he had Sex.   Then my colleague, based on the symptoms, started diagnosis of various aspects.  but nothing detected initially.  After so many trials, finally he ordered for Hepatisis B blood test.  Interestingly, he was affected by Hepatisis B.  Normally, Hepatisis B will transmitted sexually.  But in this case, this virus not spread to his spouse and my colleague finds that this is typical Hepatisis B virus which is not at all transferred to his spouse.  After treatment of 2 months and taking Hepatisis vaccine.  He is now fine and His symtpoms mentioned above disappeared and now he is having a joyful life. 
So, I am supspecting this also may be one of the reason for POIS.  I suggested any 3 or 4 people in this blog to have Hepatisis B test which is very cheap and pl update your result.  Meanwhile, I will collect more information about this from my colleagues. 

thanking you.

I already had the test and I don´t have Hepatisis B. I had already taken Hepatisis vaccine, curiously, in the same year that mu POIS starts, but I don't think that hava relations...

Offline connor

• View Profile
« Reply #16503 on: 21/05/2012 19:41:32 »
"POIS has discovered a new key treatment for POIS as well that works for many of us, and works very well. Although it does not work for ALL, it works
very well on those for whom it DOES work and gives hope for unlocking a key mechanism in the breaking of the POIS cycle."

Ummm so what is this treatment?? It seems really hard to get through, when I click through the links i am met with donation pages and silly advertisements that seem to undermine the credibility of all this.

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #16504 on: 21/05/2012 20:41:31 »
"POIS has discovered a new key treatment for POIS as well that works for many of us, and works very well. Although it does not work for ALL, it works
very well on those for whom it DOES work and gives hope for unlocking a key mechanism in the breaking of the POIS cycle."

Ummm so what is this treatment?? It seems really hard to get through, when I click through the links i am met with donation pages and silly advertisements that seem to undermine the credibility of all this.

Hi connor!!. This treatment is the niacin or Vitamin B-3. I have no POIS symptoms after an ejac. - and some of us neither. You should take it 1 hour before. Watch it here on POIS documentary recorded by ABC Australia:

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16505 on: 21/05/2012 20:45:21 »

I like the idea of putting it into NORD Facebook and twitter pages. Everything would be helpful to spread the word!!

Observer, excellent idea! I will send this to daveman and nordnurse!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16506 on: 21/05/2012 21:21:32 »
"Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome: A Reason to Hate Sex"
from http://www.insidershealth.com/article/post_orgasmic_illness_syndrome_a_reason_to_hate_sex/5186

By Matthew Gudernatch, IH Editor -- Published: May 24, 2012

"If you thought that peanut allergy was giving you trouble, you’ve certainly never heard of poor Mr. A and his Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome. POIS, as first identified by a group of Dutch doctors in 2002, is exactly what it sounds like . . . a sickness you get from your own ejaculation.

For 50-year-old Mr. A, who is leaving his name out because of the sensitive nature of his problem, any orgasm would lead to fever, weakness, exhaustion, loss of initiative, headache, disordered speech, irritability, frightening dreams, and swollen lips and throat. And as if that laundry list wasn’t bad enough, the effects could last for a few days, depending on the severity.

Psychological or Physical?

This specific case study, published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine by the same doctors that made that breakthrough in 2002, was originally thought to be tied to the psyche. There’s a similar syndrome called “dhat,” in which men in India and Sri Lanka experience a mental block that leaves them fearful of ejaculating.  But that all changed when doctors in the United Kingdom discovered similar symptoms and realized the issues improved dramatically by taking anti-inflammatory drugs before and after an orgasm. This, they said, would indicate an immune system reaction.

From there, Mr. A, along with 44 other men who were exhibiting similar symptoms, underwent a battery of allergy *****-testing. Twenty-nine of those 45 volunteers had classic allergic reactions when exposed to their own semen, the first strong tie between POIS and physical causation.

And now it was time to figure out a treatment.

Attack the Allergy

Mr. and Mrs. A were desperate for relief, so doctors treated him the same way you might undergo a course for food allergies: a technique called “hypo-sensitization” that uses the very substance you’re allergic to as a cure. Over the course of 31 months, they gradually inoculated Mr. A with his very own ejaculate, originally diluting it 40,000 times and gradually working up to a dilution of 1-to-20. And well before they could hit the three-year mark, the treatment worked.

Mr. A was able to take Mrs. A to the bedroom without any of the debilitating problems that he had long suffered. The couple no longer had to rigidly plan their sex life around events and were eventually able to have a normal sex life that resulted in only mild and short-lived POIS episodes.

Still a Mystery?

So why were these men allergic to their own semen in the first place? While it’s somewhat more common for a woman to be allergic to her partner’s orgasm, an allergy to your own creation is a much bigger puzzle. In fact, scientists don’t even have a conclusive answer. Their best guess is that there’s a gap in the seminal plumbing that somehow allows the semen to contact immune cells, which sets off the entire system.

But no matter the cause, Mr. A and the men like him finally have a name for their illness, as well as an interesting course of treatment. And that’s a real victory for the world of modern medicine . . . and for anyone who’s used to dreading their sex life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cited Sources

Kelland, Health, Kate, and Science Correspondent. "Semen Allergy Suspected." Reuters. Thomson Reuters, 17 Jan. 2011. Web. 16 May 2012. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/17/us-semen-allergy-idUSTRE70G00D20110117

Bhugra, Dinesh. "The British Journal of Psychiatry." Culture-bound Syndromes: The Story of Dhat Syndrome. Web. 16 May 2012.
http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/184/3/200.long

"Allergic to Orgasms? Man's Sad Story Has Happy Ending." The Body Odd. Web. 16 May 2012.
http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/19/5880559-allergic-to-orgasms-mans-sad-story-has-happy-ending?lite

« Last Edit: 21/05/2012 21:40:18 by demografx »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16507 on: 21/05/2012 21:46:08 »

Hi connor!!. This treatment is the niacin or Vitamin B-3. I have no POIS symptoms after an ejac. - and some of us neither. You should take it 1 hour before. Watch it here on POIS documentary recorded by ABC Australia:

Connor,
Also there is a lot of information about it in the following links.

http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=319.0
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0

It has worked miracles, really for many of us, but not for all, but it's worth giving it a try. I consider myself ALL but cured.

BTW, the donations and silly advertisements are the ONLY things that are going to find a definitive cure, other than a ton of luck, which we haven't seen yet in 5 years.

We already have almost $10,000 stashed away which has come from those silly ads.  Every $10 helps, and it's as important as anything else, or more.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16508 on: 21/05/2012 22:41:40 »

prateek, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!  We believe that 2012 is POIS' Breakthrough Year. We hope to launch serious POIS Medical Research. A great time to be here.     

Please check your mail inbox for a complete list of POIS resources.
(click on "My Messages" at the top of this page)

Welcome aboard!

WE ALL LOOK FORWARD, PRATEEK, TO YOUR FEEDBACK ABOUT DISCUSSING POIS WITH YOUR COLLEAGUES!

Thank you very much!
demografx

Offline Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #16509 on: 21/05/2012 22:54:45 »
(Quote from Observercenter):
"I like the idea of putting it into NORD Facebook and twitter pages. Everything would be helpful to spread the word!!"

Hi All,

Observer -- excellent suggestion!

Observer, Hoping, Daveman, Demo -- ANYONE FROM THE FORUM -- feel free to post announcements about POIS-related issues and accomplishments on NORD's Facebook page!!!

Our Facebook page is always BUSY!!
http://www.facebook.com/NationalOrganizationforRareDisorders 

The same goes for NORD's Twitter page. So for you tweeters, here's the link -- http://twitter.com/#!/RareDiseases. Start tweeting!

RAISE THAT "POIS AWARENESS FLAG" with your messages!!!!

(As an aside, I'm away from the office this week -- taking a few days off.
If any of you sends an email to me there, you'll receive an "away" message.  But I'm checking my emails, and replying to those that require replies in a timely fashion.)

POIS-related questions/messages are ALWAYS timely.  :-)

Stef

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16510 on: 22/05/2012 05:37:35 »
Stef, I'm applying for canonization process for you into sainthood. The paperwork is being prepared as I write this.

How else can we thank you?

: - )

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16511 on: 22/05/2012 06:48:29 »

Don't daveman and demografx look similar?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16512 on: 22/05/2012 07:33:58 »
EXAMPLE OF POIS@TWITTER!:  (Google-translation Spanish>English)

Elena Mengual‏@elenamengual
"Orgasms nightmare. POIS, a rare disease whose symptoms are triggered after sex"
h t t p : / / g o o . g l / 9 k 3 Q r
(remove above spaces in this link - to Observer's article)

19 May P.A.U.L.I.N.A. @ ZURDO7007@Elenamengual
"not understand, a nightmare with orgasms ... Or??"

Elena @ 19 May Mengual elenamengual @ ZURDO700
"is a rare disease whose symptoms are triggered after orgasm"

19 May P.A.U.L.I.N.A. @ ZURDO7007@ Elenamengual
"ok and what kind of symptoms are and passing?"

Elena @ 19 May Mengual elenamengual@ ZURDO700
"You can read the information I have read, by Silvia R. Taberné" http://www.elmundo.es/elmundosalud/2012/05/18/noticias/1337359570.html

19 May P.A.U.L.I.N.A. @ ZURDO7007@ Elenamengual
"perfect I will, thanks"

THE WORD IS GETTING OUT THERE!! - demo
« Last Edit: 22/05/2012 08:25:45 by demografx »

Offline 0002ppdnuos

• View Profile
« Reply #16513 on: 22/05/2012 11:27:51 »
I mixed a teaspoon of fenugreek powder into my morning coffee, and drink it while eating my toasts topped with garlic minces and low-sugar blueberry jam. I feel energetic whole day, mentally and physically. This is day one of my fenugreek + garlic trial. I wish the effect lasts forever. The morning coffee tastes like curry though (that I dislike).
Besides, I ate some dark chocolate (41% cocoa) last night. Wondering if the chocolate helps a little as well.
« Last Edit: 22/05/2012 11:30:18 by 0002ppdnuos »

Offline 0002ppdnuos

• View Profile
White Radish Soup
« Reply #16514 on: 22/05/2012 12:34:31 »
One recipe that I'm very sure of having positive effect in improving cognitive symptoms of POIS is white radish soup.
I remember when I was young, my mom cooked white radish soup with chicken.
Every time I drank it, my cognitive symptoms are lessened.
It is still working now when I'm eating outside in restaurants.
The effect is immediate.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16515 on: 22/05/2012 14:51:29 »
White radish soup sounds interesting, 0002ppdnuos!

« Last Edit: 22/05/2012 14:55:52 by demografx »

Offline 0002ppdnuos

• View Profile
« Reply #16516 on: 22/05/2012 15:10:05 »
Occasionally, forced naps and sleep  (with Benadryl) helped me to fight POIS.
Demografx, do you mean you've been using Benadryl as your sleeping pills?
Not being able to sleep at the proper time has long been a serious problem for me.
Imagine you have an appointment the next morning and have to go to bed earlier than you usually do, so that you have enough energy when you wake up. I can never do that, especially when POIS occurs. So, I'm frequently late to school/work/meeting. And people label me as lazy, which I'm not. I'd tried really hard but in vain. I'd tried GABA but it gives me a dizzy day the next morning. If Benadryl might work, I'd like to try it.

Offline GDRTW

• View Profile
Another little food aid.
« Reply #16517 on: 22/05/2012 21:34:44 »
<script src=' newbielink:http://img708.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=soybeans.jpg&p=tl [nonactive]' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript> newbielink:http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/soybeans.jpg/ [nonactive]</noscript>

I am a long time POIS sufferer now living in Taiwan. I have just discovered Niacan and and happy to say that I do find some relief from mainly the anxiety/slight depression and even a little of my extreme photophobia (sensitivity to sunlight). That's the worst sympton of my POIS. Extreme sensitivity to light. I also suffer from another rare disease called EHS 'electromagnetic hypersensitivity” which can trigger this as well, so it's a double whammy for me. Getting both af them at the same time is very irritable. Anyway, living in Taiwan I am rather blessed to be living in a society where I am surrounded by lots of little nibbles and snacks that are actually healthy and useful for prevention of ailments and potential diseases. As most of us seem to suffer from cognitive function issues, I was happy to come across a little treat that helps me somewhat alleviate this in the form of soybeans. They are sometimes seen as a side dish that gets served here with a meal. They are available here even in the 7-11s. Very accessible. Doing a little investigation I looked at the official wiki page and saw this line, "Recent studies have shown improvement in cognitive function, particularly verbal memory, and in frontal lobe function with the use of soy supplements." Sometimes we feel like we could be fooling ourselves by thinking something is having a positive effect on us when it might possibly just be wihsful thinking. Just thought I would put that out there. They are also nutrious for you in a whole bunch of other ways including being high in omega 3 acids. I am not sure if they are so accessible in the western world but hunt them out if you can. I do notice a lessening of the brain fog if I down a packet of these little beauties!
P.S. You are meant to just eat the seed inside as the outside skin does not digest well in the gut. :)
« Last Edit: 22/05/2012 21:40:55 by GDRTW »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #16518 on: 23/05/2012 02:56:07 »
POISer in Tokyo (Taiwan - SORRY!)  This syndrome is not contained at all!  The big benefit is that you're trying supplements that we haven't even heard of.  The above is just edamame, right??
« Last Edit: 23/05/2012 15:27:27 by B_Daniel »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16519 on: 23/05/2012 04:44:44 »
Hi 0002ppdnuos,

I use Benadryl or extra strength Pain Relief PM.

I never take more than two (2) tablets in one day..

But PLEASE ask your physician if this is safe or right for YOU! We all react differently to treatments.

WHAT WORKS FOR ME MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU.

I learned this Benadryl technique (2 tablets only before sleep) immediately after my open heart surgery 2 years ago. I then continued to experiment (successfully) with Benadryl for daytime forced naps. For POIS.

Best wishes,
demo

EDIT: I never (thankfully) had a sleeping problem. I use the above only when I need to force *more* sleep in POIS.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #16520 on: 23/05/2012 08:17:02 »
has any body ever done a semen culture to check for bacteria/viruses

« Last Edit: 23/05/2012 08:30:33 by CCconfucius »

Offline 0002ppdnuos

• View Profile
« Reply #16521 on: 23/05/2012 10:48:14 »
Day two of garlic + fenugreek trial. It works.  :-'(

GDRTW, please let us know the name of the bean in Mandarin.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16522 on: 23/05/2012 17:23:25 »

has any body ever done a semen culture to check for bacteria/viruses

Interesting, CC!

Offline prateek

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16523 on: 23/05/2012 17:25:10 »
Hi guys, one person has reported that he tested for hepatitis and nothing found and there was no link between pois and hepatiss. Today morning after seeing the blog and discussed with my colleagues,i have a new question for all. Whether r u a pre-matured born baby/ whether u r low weight when u r born, whether u r kept in a incubulator after delivery for some days. Waiting for ur reply

Offline GDRTW

• View Profile
SOYBEANS
« Reply #16524 on: 23/05/2012 18:39:16 »
The mandarin word is '毛豆' which tranlates into 'Máodòu' in pingyin. They are cheap here so it's always very accessible to me. Soybeans.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SOYBEANS
« Reply #16524 on: 23/05/2012 18:39:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums