The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6435569 times)

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #16725 on: 08/06/2012 15:15:44 »
I tested the Vitamin B6 level and it was the upper average ! I did  not check neither the B3 nor the C.

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #16726 on: 08/06/2012 15:57:08 »

This is all very interesting to me as i have been using niacin for the last few months with some success.

Furthermore, all the seasonal allergies i have from February - May have not affected me this year AT ALL since i have been taking Niacin, this is unheard of. Also i have previously had a strong allergic reaction to tartrazine - blotchy purple upper torso and head with dizziness and heat. I also seem to react badly to plants containing phenols.

Does this make sense given what you have posted above?

Absolutely.  The man who wrote the post i quote from has a son with allergy to Red 5, and suffers from the vitamin B6 issues explained here.  This deficiency causes entire bodily systems to have problems.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16727 on: 08/06/2012 15:58:38 »
I tested the Vitamin B6 level and it was the upper average ! I did  not check neither the B3 nor the C.
Were you taking b3 (niacin) at the time? Also, these "levels" are difficult to determine as far as I understand it as someone can have blood serum levels which are above the threshold for a deficiency to be diagnosed but they can still be deficient. See the following article on b12 deficiency for example. http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0301/p979.html
A quote from this article is useful to illustrate the point.
If increased homocysteine or methylmalonic acid levels and a normalization of these metabolites in response to replacement therapy are used as diagnostic criteria for vitamin B12 deficiency, approximately 50 percent of these patients have serum vitamin B12 levels above 200 pg per mL.1 This observation suggests that use of a low serum vitamin B12 level as the sole means of diagnosis may miss up to one half of patients with actual tissue B12 deficiency. Other studies have shown similar findings, with the rate of missed diagnosis ranging from 10 to 26 percent when diagnosis is based on low serum vitamin B12 levels alone.
i.e. there's a complex system of chemical reactions that need to be in balance and a simple threshold score doesn't tell you enough. It's a pity that most family doctor's don't appear to know this

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #16728 on: 08/06/2012 16:06:54 »
kurtosis, you have the highest level of comprehension I have come across re: pathology of vit. B6 deficiency here.  Would you be willing to help write this r/askscience post I am helping start, as well as perhaps answer questions that people at r/askscience will ask?  I have some education in this stuff, but I am struggling with cognition from PIOS AND transitioning between antipsychotics.  Come to the poiscenter.com forums if you are going to help, it's a more organized format for this.  Find our Vitamin B6 topic under "General Alternative Causes"

Thanks!

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16729 on: 08/06/2012 18:46:27 »
All I can say on this V B6 issue is WOW you guys.

Gives me goosebumps!

I KNOW we're on to something!

It would also be great if we could somehow reduce what has just been said down into something we can get our mind around (for the less technical of us), although you've already gone a long way to helping digest it all.

It's important that we can see that "SOMEBODY" understands at least, so THANKS you guys.

We could split off a couple of threads over on poiscenter as work areas and summary areas. Of course we will be sure that there's access here too.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16730 on: 08/06/2012 20:05:02 »
kurtosis, you have the highest level of comprehension I have come across re: pathology of vit. B6 deficiency here.  Would you be willing to help write this r/askscience post I am helping start, as well as perhaps answer questions that people at r/askscience will ask?  I have some education in this stuff, but I am struggling with cognition from PIOS AND transitioning between antipsychotics.  Come to the poiscenter.com forums if you are going to help, it's a more organized format for this.  Find our Vitamin B6 topic under "General Alternative Causes"

Thanks!
Thanks Nightingale. I'll check poiscenter and that thread out. Won't be today but I will do it!

Things I'd like to understand about b6 deficiencies are
- how common are they?
- theories as to how b6 deficiencies arise? (congenital / developed due to disease / other possibilities)
- what are the tests to diagnose it and how reliable are they?
- has anyone else observed sexual health issues due to b6 deficiency?
- how do we find the guy who wrote the original piece about niacin and tourettes? What happened to his son?

BTW Daveman, I can summarise it quickly. The things that people have said help them with POIS either supplement 2 b vitamins (b3 and b6) or have an anti-histamine effects (e.g. Vitamin C, H1 histamine agonists like Clarityn). So the original b3 & tourettes article is compatible with our experience of POIS.

Offline Lapanique

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16731 on: 08/06/2012 21:04:12 »
Dang!  I just set up a monthly recurring donation on the NORD site and got an error.  I will try again later. Waiting for the site administrators to check out the error.

Anyway, I've been a silent reader of this forum for the past year.  I was overjoyed to see that I wasn't the only one with this crazy illness.  To keep things short:

My age: 30 yrs
Start of POIS: Age 11 (19 years living with it, worsened as I got older)
Symptoms: Dermatitis, Acute back pain (like acid flowing through my spine), brain fog, severe irritability and anger, anxiety, severe fatigue,
                   digestive issues (tightness in the lower left side of my abdomen, like a knot), fingers and toes get really cold also.
Duration of symptoms: 3-4 weeks (no joke, I wish it only lasted a few days)

When I was 11 and O'ed the first time, I started getting dermatitis, and had to start taking claritine to reduce the itching all over my body.  This still happens everytime I have an O.
Two months ago, I abstained for 5 weeks (don't know how the heck I did it, especially with having my wife in bed every night).  I was determined to try it.  Then I couldn't hold it any longer, I was going out of my mind.  I took 250 mg of niacin and had sex while I was having a flush.  I felt like I was having sex on a bed full of broken glass, wasn't pleasant at all.  The next 2 days were the best days of my life, I was clear headed, had so much energy, I was very happy and just didn't know how to handle all that energy.  I'm too used to having low motivation to do anything.  Anyway, the symptoms started coming back again after the 2 amazing days, so I tried some more niacin, but it didn't work that time.  I'm now seeing a Urologist that has some knowledge of this illness.  He told me I have low testosterone levels (~202, normal is above 300 I think).  He also recommended I see an endocrinologist to check out my adrenal gland since I apparently have low cortisol levels.  He prescribed some Clomiphene (clomiphene citrate) which is supposed to raise my testosterone levels slowly, even though it clearly states that this medication is for women.  I will see him again in 6 weeks and will give an update if anything great comes out of this. I will try niacin again, but this time I'll give it 45 minutes AFTER the flush, like someone mentioned on this post. 
By the way, I live in Atlanta.  If anyone else lives in Atlanta, the Urologist's name is Dr Wayland Hsiao at the Emory University.  He's a really enthusiastic person.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16732 on: 08/06/2012 21:16:34 »
Dang!  I just set up a monthly recurring donation on the NORD site and got an error.  I will try again later. Waiting for the site administrators to check out the error.

Anyway, I've been a silent reader of this forum for the past year.  I was overjoyed to see that I wasn't the only one with this crazy illness.  To keep things short:

Symptoms: Dermatitis, Acute back pain (like acid flowing through my spine), brain fog, severe irritability and anger, anxiety, severe fatigue,
                   digestive issues (tightness in the lower left side of my abdomen, like a knot), fingers and toes get really cold also.

When I was 11 and O'ed the first time, I started getting dermatitis, and had to start taking claritine to reduce the itching all over my body.  This still happens everytime I have an O.
Two months ago, I abstained for 5 weeks (don't know how the heck I did it, especially with having my wife in bed every night).  I was determined to try it.  Then I couldn't hold it any longer, I was going out of my mind.  I took 250 mg of niacin and had sex while I was having a flush.  I felt like I was having sex on a bed full of broken glass, wasn't pleasant at all.  The next 2 days were the best days of my life, I was clear headed, had so much energy, I was very happy and just didn't know how to handle all that energy.  I'm too used to having low motivation to do anything.  Anyway, the symptoms started coming back again after the 2 amazing days, so I tried some more niacin, but it didn't work that time.  I'm now seeing a Urologist that has some knowledge of this illness.  He told me I have low testosterone levels (~202, normal is above 300 I think).  He also recommended I see an endocrinologist to check out my adrenal gland since I apparently have low cortisol levels.  He prescribed some Clomiphene (clomiphene citrate) which is supposed to raise my testosterone levels slowly, even though it clearly states that this medication is for women.  I will see him again in 6 weeks and will give an update if anything great comes out of this. I will try niacin again, but this time I'll give it 45 minutes AFTER the flush, like someone mentioned on this post. 
By the way, I live in Atlanta.  If anyone else lives in Atlanta, the Urologist's name is Dr Wayland Hsiao at the Emory University.  He's a really enthusiastic person.

BTW Lapanique,
It helps a lot to wait until the flush passes a bit, not only so you donít feel like you are doing it on broken glass, but for some reason the effectively against POIS is several fold better.

Itís like the niacin integrates into the system more completely as the peak of the flush unfolds.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16733 on: 08/06/2012 21:31:53 »
stevenoc, and Lapanique, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!  We believe that 2012 is POIS' Breakthrough Year. We hope to launch serious POIS Medical Research. A great time to be here!

Please check your mail inbox for a complete list of POIS resources.
(click on "My Messages" at the top of this page)

Welcome aboard!
daveman and demografx
Your forum moderators

« Last Edit: 08/06/2012 21:35:41 by demografx »

Offline Lapanique

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16734 on: 08/06/2012 21:48:39 »
Thx Daveman,

Glad to hear I still have a change at Niacin.

Does anyone else have shallow breathing and heart pain the days following an O?  I do, but these symptoms disappear completely
once I abstain for a week or two.  I sometimes get prostate spams (not often) while in POIS mode and once in a while I'll get a very sharp pain in that area, one that'll make a man scream like Mariah Carey. 

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #16735 on: 08/06/2012 22:58:16 »
Hi all,
Sorry for my long absence. Owing to work, it'll be at least July before I'm a regular here again but I'm no less motivated. Just a quick note to say I did one trial of levocitirizine (antihistamine suggested by a colleague of Dr Goldmeier). I took 10mg 5.5 hours before O and then once daily thereafter. It did not seem to improve my POIS symptoms. This is the same antihistamine that Joe Burger (poiscenter forum) used with good results (he reported symptoms were reduced by 80%). I'm one of those for whom Niacin hasn't worked well either. Levocetirizine might still work for others. Hope to catch up properly with the forums soon. When I'm not here it doesn't mean I'm not thinking of you guys and about tackling POIS! I am! Thanks to all those who are stoically active, moving us closer to the research grant and increasing our understanding of POIS. We've never been nearer to a brighter, healthier future than we are now. Its up to us to make it happen. Take care all.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16736 on: 09/06/2012 00:40:09 »
THANK YOU, MELLIVORA!

Offline Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #16737 on: 09/06/2012 01:17:51 »

Hello, Lapanique!

I will make sure that everything is straightened out regarding your donation -- and will get back to you personally about it next week.

In the meantime, thank you for providing the name of your urologist,
Dr Hsiao. He's got great credentials and will definitely be added to our POIS researcher list!!

Learning of docs who are open-minded and enthusiastic about POIS -- and NOT referring you for cognitive testing -- is refreshing, to say the least!

Stef

Offline badgerstripe

• View Profile
« Reply #16738 on: 09/06/2012 08:40:44 »
All I can say on this V B6 issue is WOW you guys.

Gives me goosebumps!

I KNOW we're on to something!

It would also be great if we could somehow reduce what has just been said down into something we can get our mind around (for the less technical of us), although you've already gone a long way to helping digest it all.

It's important that we can see that "SOMEBODY" understands at least, so THANKS you guys.

We could split off a couple of threads over on poiscenter as work areas and summary areas. Of course we will be sure that there's access here too.

I think we are on to something too, it seems to make a lot of sense, its complex to understand but food allergies and previous iBS and the fact that my seasonal allergies seem to have disappeared and POIS improvement
with niacin supplements all point to this negative feedback loop and B3 and B6 deficiency causing POIS.

Offline badgerstripe

• View Profile
« Reply #16739 on: 09/06/2012 08:43:26 »
The final paragraph on what appears to be davemans
quote is my post... Done on a smartphone...

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16740 on: 09/06/2012 12:19:44 »
So, what is happening with Daniel? Has he achieved to regain normal Vitamin B-6 levels with the supplement, and is his body now able to convert tryptophan into niacin, so the chain is not disrupted anymore(for some time) when he has an Orgasm? This is what Daniel told us several months ago:

Hey guys,

I think that I am cured. The last eight weeks I had orgasms 99% free of symptoms.

(...) This winter I took vitamine B pills (B1, B6 and B12). Every day one for 3 weeks. These pills made me feel much better, I felt much more clear in my head. Additionally, I took every day one fenugreek capsule.

After 3 weeks I quited with the vitamine B (you can get an overdose of B6, so I thought to take care with this) and I also quited with the fenugreek. I did not get orgasms in this period, simply because I had so much work to do at my job, I could not afford to have one.
Then, after one or one and half week I started vitamine B again, every week 2 or 3 pills. So every second day. Some weeks after that I addionally started my fenugreek again. I now take two capsules every morning after my breakfast. I was following this for about 4 or 5 weeks.

First I could get every week an orgasm without any problem. And now I can get two orgasms in two days without any problem! More orgasms induced some symptoms which disappeared during the day. But I think, I will improve more so this will also be possible in the future.
I also avoid stressful situations as much as possible, I think this is important.
My life improved a lot, having an orgasm without any problem, it is really great. I hope that everybody with this disease will be cured, because it is pretty much like hell.

http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=346.0
That would make sense. Once b6 and b3 levels were high enough to reduce the number of allergic reactions, his body could balance the amount of neurotransmitters it made and, perhaps, reduce the amount of receptors for catecholamines such that he's less "jumpy".
However, the b1, b6, b12 combination seems a bit specific. Did he say what pills he was taking and what amounts of these b vitamins were in each? I know Merck pharmaceutical produce(d?) a b-complex called neurobion forte with the specific ratio of B1 100mg, B6 200 mg, B12 200mcg. This pill is/was sold in Asia and was sometimes prescribed to people with b vitamin deficiencies by family doctors. It would be interesting to learn more from Daniel about how he ended up taking this specific combination.

Offline questforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #16741 on: 09/06/2012 17:51:32 »
Hello Everyone.

Its been a long time since I was on here.  The last time I was here I was talking about deficiencies and problems with gut absorption.  Nobody really took to my suggestions at the time which was disappointing.  Anyway, nonone of us are here to score points and we all have one common goal - to find out what is causing these symptoms - and how to heal us.

Mineral/vitamin Deficiencies, gut absorption problem with some form of auto-immune reaction.  In my view, a lot of nutrients in the body are lost through semen.  A lot of nutrients are used in the production of semen.   In particular b vitamins.  These are one of the most important group of vitamins for a healthy functioning body.

Deficiencies are not always caused by poor diet.  B12 deficiencies in particular can be caused by a lack of intrinsic factor in the gut.  Deficiencies also arise from poor absorption in the gut.   Some vitamins need to be used by the body in their active form (B6 is P5P) which needs the help of the liver to make the conversion.

As you can see the process is complex. 

One vitamin I think is very important in kick starting our energy levels is b12.  No amount of oral supplementation is going to get your levels of b12 back on track.  There are other ways this can be done - transdermal, intramuscular shots, sublingual. 

How many of you have had b12 levels measured? Anyone of you had b12 shots? 

See an extract below related to b12 where this person mentions the relationship between sperm and b12

"In a vegetarian society all of the above problems would be prominant as the majority of people are literally starved nearly to death for b12. Semen contains a good dollop of b12 so in a person who is literally starving for b12 because they don't eat any meat the amount of b12 lost in an ejaculation might be significant, might be enough to weaken them further, to weaken their sexual functioning further. Interestingly, a "tantric" meal in a vegetarian society often contains beef steak and fish, giving a healthy dose of active b12s, omega3 fishoils and l-carnitine, needed for b12 to burn fat in the mitochondria for energy production."

"All sorts of theories get made up when real facts are lacking. The right vitamins make all the difference in the world. If a teaspoon of semen contains as much b12 as a steak it might seem rather magical revitalizing in effect, a powerful sacrement, in a society literally starving for b12."

Scroll to the bottom of the page:
http://forums.bettermedicine.com/showthread.php/7610-headache-after-ejaculation/page4 [nofollow]
« Last Edit: 09/06/2012 17:54:59 by questforlife »

Offline 0002ppdnuos

• View Profile
« Reply #16742 on: 09/06/2012 18:14:45 »
That would make sense. Once b6 and b3 levels were high enough to reduce the number of allergic reactions, his body could balance the amount of neurotransmitters it made and, perhaps, reduce the amount of receptors for catecholamines such that he's less "jumpy".
However, the b1, b6, b12 combination seems a bit specific. Did he say what pills he was taking and what amounts of these b vitamins were in each? I know Merck pharmaceutical produce(d?) a b-complex called neurobion forte with the specific ratio of B1 100mg, B6 200 mg, B12 200mcg. This pill is/was sold in Asia and was sometimes prescribed to people with b vitamin deficiencies by family doctors. It would be interesting to learn more from Daniel about how he ended up taking this specific combination.
The name of the pill he takes is Hidroxil.
I can't remember the ratio of the ingredient, but it can be easily found online.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16743 on: 09/06/2012 18:48:29 »
The name of the pill he takes is Hidroxil.
I can't remember the ratio of the ingredient, but it can be easily found online.
Found it, thanks.
250 mg Vitamin B1 (thiamine hydrochloride)
250 mg Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride)
0.5 mg vitamin B12 (hydroxocobalamin)

That's a big dose. Many 1000% above RDA I think.

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #16744 on: 09/06/2012 19:24:50 »
What about B1? Is tihis vitamin important in sexual reactions?

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #16745 on: 09/06/2012 19:35:37 »

Symptoms: ..... fingers and toes get really cold also......

Take 1000mg pills of fish oil, 2-3 times a day for 6wks and u should see great improvement on the cold fingers/toes.  At least I did.

Offline Lapanique

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16746 on: 09/06/2012 21:40:18 »

Symptoms: ..... fingers and toes get really cold also......

Take 1000mg pills of fish oil, 2-3 times a day for 6wks and u should see great improvement on the cold fingers/toes.  At least I did.
Thanks B_Daniel, I'll give that a try once I'm done testing some other vitamins/medicine: niacin, saw palmetto, vitamin B-complex, claritine (this one is a must for me because of my dermatitis/allergic reaction from having an O).  I'm trying not to take too many at once.  It's kinda crazy the number of pills/medication that we take just to try to find even a slight relief. 

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16747 on: 09/06/2012 21:57:15 »
So, what is happening with Daniel? Has he achieved to regain normal Vitamin B-6 levels with the supplement, and is his body now able to convert tryptophan into niacin, so the chain is not disrupted anymore(for some time) when he has an Orgasm? This is what Daniel told us several months ago:

Hey guys,

I think that I am cured. The last eight weeks I had orgasms 99% free of symptoms.

(...) This winter I took vitamine B pills (B1, B6 and B12). Every day one for 3 weeks. These pills made me feel much better, I felt much more clear in my head. Additionally, I took every day one fenugreek capsule.

After 3 weeks I quited with the vitamine B (you can get an overdose of B6, so I thought to take care with this) and I also quited with the fenugreek. I did not get orgasms in this period, simply because I had so much work to do at my job, I could not afford to have one.
Then, after one or one and half week I started vitamine B again, every week 2 or 3 pills. So every second day. Some weeks after that I addionally started my fenugreek again. I now take two capsules every morning after my breakfast. I was following this for about 4 or 5 weeks.

First I could get every week an orgasm without any problem. And now I can get two orgasms in two days without any problem! More orgasms induced some symptoms which disappeared during the day. But I think, I will improve more so this will also be possible in the future.
I also avoid stressful situations as much as possible, I think this is important.
My life improved a lot, having an orgasm without any problem, it is really great. I hope that everybody with this disease will be cured, because it is pretty much like hell.

The only problem that I have, is that pretty much everything fits, except that I don't have allergies. (Other than a reaction to whatever *down there* when I orgasm).

My whole "package" swells afterwards. I might say prostate, but it's more. Everything from the empididymis (that soft tissue on the testicles) up through the tubes leading upwards, through the prostate to the lower bladder area all swell up. With niacin the swelling is less, but no POIS.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #16748 on: 10/06/2012 00:37:56 »
Itís often mentioned that Niacin doesnít work for everyone, and it could well be, BUT I have worked recently with at least 3 people on a one to one basis to help with the use of niacin, and it is a VERY precise process. If itís not done JUST RIGHT, it doesnít work. So Iím certain that many who have tried it and failed have just not applied the ďrulesĒ correctly and given up too soon.

Itís really worth trying to make it work, because when it works itís amazing. I suggest that if you are one of those for which it hasnít worked, that you get in contact with one of us on a one on one to try to see if you canít make it work. I havenít spoken to any of the others yet about this, but Iím sure ObserverCenter for instance would be glad to help out.

If you are one for which it works, perhaps you can volunteer here to receive PMs to help guide someone through. They are just simple things that one might miss or ďdo wrongĒ, but they make all the difference in the world.

It would be a shame to be suffering when it isnít necessary.

Besides, if it is just a procedural thing, then we can move one step closer to understanding the mechanisms. If itís just procedural but we think itís a non-compatibility, then we understand the mechanism improperly. We misunderstand the reason for it not working in some.
Yeah, you are right Dave. The procedure should be followed VERY precisely, otherwise it won't work. This was the reason I thought that Niacin injection doesn't help me, when I have tried it very first time. But it helped me when I attempted to try it second time, in a month, because of despair. Also body needs to adapt to Niacin, very first intakes results in discomfort feelings in various areas, like area of stomach, heart or head.

I think there is also a possibility that tablets won't work for some, because of insufficient digestion. Flush effect is a good marker to determine whether Niacin digested good or not so good.

Anyone please feel free to send me a PM if you want a one to one guidance and support in trying Niacin.

Victor
You can purchase injectable nicotinic acid with a doctors prescription from any compounding pharmacy in the united states.  I had my doctor write an order for 100mg/1ml concentration.  If injected into the correct subcutaneous site, I have had a flush in less than 2 minutes. 

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16749 on: 10/06/2012 12:19:50 »

Hey guys,

The only problem that I have, is that pretty much everything fits, except that I don't have allergies. (Other than a reaction to whatever *down there* when I orgasm).

My whole "package" swells afterwards. I might say prostate, but it's more. Everything from the empididymis (that soft tissue on the testicles) up through the tubes leading upwards, through the prostate to the lower bladder area all swell up. With niacin the swelling is less, but no POIS.

What you're describing could be an allergy. 
There have been many posts about people suffering allergy-like symptoms. Sometimes these are described as flu-like symptoms but it can be very difficult to distinguish between fatigue, runny nose and streaming eyes caused by flu and an allergy. Indeed, if the immune system is weakened and you come in contact with the flu virus, you might develop a flu.

I think there were some questions in the survey about allergies but it might be work a recap. It would be useful if posters could say whether they have experienced allergy symptoms in the past and whether they fit into the following categories?

- pollen / hay fever
- respiratory condition such as asthma
- sinusitis
- food allergy
- medication allergy
- animal hair allergy
- dust allergy
- insect bite / sting allergy
- mould allergy
- dermatitis or adult acne.

Also mention if you have digestive discomfort or a diagnosed condition such as IBS.

It would be good to know when did the allergy start?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16749 on: 10/06/2012 12:19:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums