The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6427949 times)

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #16750 on: 10/06/2012 13:14:42 »

- pollen / hay fever  -- YES, but a mild one
- respiratory condition such as asthma -- YES, had an asthma attack when i was a child
- sinusitis -- YES
- food allergy -- kiwifruit
- medication allergy -- Maybe...
- animal hair allergy -- YES!
- dust allergy -- Definitely: YES!(I think it is the worse)
- insect bite / sting allergy -- NO
- mould allergy -- NO
- dermatitis or adult acne. -- YES, when i was a child.

Also mention if you have digestive discomfort or a diagnosed condition such as IBS.
NO.

It would be good to know when did the allergy start?
From the very first moment i could remember. I have POIS since i was -18- years old.
« Last Edit: 10/06/2012 13:19:21 by observercenter »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16751 on: 10/06/2012 13:44:36 »
Thanks observercentre. I'll add my details.

- pollen / hay fever
No.

- respiratory condition such as asthma
Yes, asthma.

- sinusitis
Yes.

- food allergy
Yes, gluten.

- medication allergy
no.

- animal hair allergy
not obvious.

- dust allergy
no.

- insect bite / sting allergy
no.

- mould allergy
Yes.

- dermatitis or adult acne.
Yes.

Also mention if you have digestive discomfort or a diagnosed condition such as IBS.
Yes.

No obvious allergies until 15 years old. Allergies and POIS since.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16752 on: 10/06/2012 19:48:18 »
Itís often mentioned that Niacin doesnít work for everyone, and it could well be, BUT I have worked recently with at least 3 people on a one to one basis to help with the use of niacin, and it is a VERY precise process. If itís not done JUST RIGHT, it doesnít work. So Iím certain that many who have tried it and failed have just not applied the ďrulesĒ correctly and given up too soon.

Itís really worth trying to make it work, because when it works itís amazing. I suggest that if you are one of those for which it hasnít worked, that you get in contact with one of us on a one on one to try to see if you canít make it work. I havenít spoken to any of the others yet about this, but Iím sure ObserverCenter for instance would be glad to help out.

If you are one for which it works, perhaps you can volunteer here to receive PMs to help guide someone through. They are just simple things that one might miss or ďdo wrongĒ, but they make all the difference in the world.

It would be a shame to be suffering when it isnít necessary.

Besides, if it is just a procedural thing, then we can move one step closer to understanding the mechanisms. If itís just procedural but we think itís a non-compatibility, then we understand the mechanism improperly. We misunderstand the reason for it not working in some.
Yeah, you are right Dave. The procedure should be followed VERY precisely, otherwise it won't work. This was the reason I thought that Niacin injection doesn't help me, when I have tried it very first time. But it helped me when I attempted to try it second time, in a month, because of despair. Also body needs to adapt to Niacin, very first intakes results in discomfort feelings in various areas, like area of stomach, heart or head.

I think there is also a possibility that tablets won't work for some, because of insufficient digestion. Flush effect is a good marker to determine whether Niacin digested good or not so good.

Anyone please feel free to send me a PM if you want a one to one guidance and support in trying Niacin.

Victor
You can purchase injectable nicotinic acid with a doctors prescription from any compounding pharmacy in the united states.  I had my doctor write an order for 100mg/1ml concentration.  If injected into the correct subcutaneous site, I have had a flush in less than 2 minutes. 

LAURACOSTIS IS A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL. VICTOR IS VERY EXPERIENCED. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT INJECTING YOURSELF WITHOUT PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL HELP OR YOU CAN CAUSE PERMANENT INJURY TO YOURSELF!
« Last Edit: 11/06/2012 04:40:51 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16753 on: 10/06/2012 21:27:34 »
THANK YOU, EDS!

Offline Lapanique

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16754 on: 10/06/2012 23:20:56 »

What you're describing could be an allergy. 
There have been many posts about people suffering allergy-like symptoms. Sometimes these are described as flu-like symptoms but it can be very difficult to distinguish between fatigue, runny nose and streaming eyes caused by flu and an allergy. Indeed, if the immune system is weakened and you come in contact with the flu virus, you might develop a flu.

I think there were some questions in the survey about allergies but it might be work a recap. It would be useful if posters could say whether they have experienced allergy symptoms in the past and whether they fit into the following categories?

- pollen / hay fever
- respiratory condition such as asthma
- sinusitis
- food allergy
- medication allergy
- animal hair allergy
- dust allergy
- insect bite / sting allergy
- mould allergy
- dermatitis or adult acne.

No to all the categories EXCEPT the last one.  The first time I had an O at 11 I developed dermographism.  Have had it since.  That is definitely an allergic reaction.  I've been taking claritin for 20 years to reduce the itching.

I also developed some serious digestive issues.  About 3 times a year i will have a very painful stomach ache and pass out for a minute or two, with profuse sweating.  Feels like death.  Never had these issues before I ever had an O. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16755 on: 10/06/2012 23:54:47 »
My POIS also arrived with dermatitis and horribly-feeling "dry" fingertips. For 4 long days with each incident of POIS.
« Last Edit: 10/06/2012 23:56:44 by demografx »

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #16756 on: 11/06/2012 10:22:33 »
- pollen / hay fever : NO
- respiratory condition such as asthma : NO
- sinusitis : NO
- food allergy : Lactose en casein intolerance
- medication allergy : dont know yet
- animal hair allergy : NO
- dust allergy : YES
- insect bite / sting allergy : NO
- mould allergy : NO
- dermatitis or adult acne.: less and less

Offline 0002ppdnuos

• View Profile
« Reply #16757 on: 11/06/2012 15:25:02 »
Found it, thanks.
250 mg Vitamin B1 (thiamine hydrochloride)
250 mg Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride)
0.5 mg vitamin B12 (hydroxocobalamin)
That's a big dose. Many 1000% above RDA I think.
Exactly.
That's why I dare not try yet.
I'm afraid I'll be dead being poisoned before my POIS is cured.
So, I'm trying brewer's yeast, which has lots of vitamin B and protein.
One quarter teaspoon daily mixed into my coffee.
I'll see how it goes.

Offline 0002ppdnuos

• View Profile
« Reply #16758 on: 11/06/2012 15:28:37 »
- pollen / hay fever : NO
- respiratory condition such as asthma : NO
- sinusitis : NO
- food allergy : YES (honey)
- medication allergy : Yes (a kind of antibiotic)
- animal hair allergy : NO
- dust allergy : NO
- insect bite / sting allergy : YES (mosquitoes & ant's bite)
- mould allergy : NO
- dermatitis or adult acne.: NO

Offline Omen 30

• View Profile
« Reply #16759 on: 11/06/2012 17:30:18 »
I have a history of eczema...

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16760 on: 12/06/2012 00:16:15 »
Habibou, excellent idea about a case history.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #16761 on: 12/06/2012 06:47:47 »
How many of you have had b12 levels measured? Anyone of you had b12 shots? 

See an extract below related to b12 where this person mentions the relationship between sperm and b12

"All sorts of theories get made up when real facts are lacking. The right vitamins make all the difference in the world. If a teaspoon of semen contains as much b12 as a steak it might seem rather magical revitalizing in effect, a powerful sacrement, in a society literally starving for b12."

Thanks for reposting your note. I think we miss important posts all the time so re-posting something that we overlooked and that you found important is very welcomed. To answer your question, I've never had my B12 levels tested, but could prob attach that to my nxt bloodwork pretty easily.  Does a B12 deficiency cause brainfog like we all have in common?  Because I didnt find that in a quick search i did on B12 deficiencies.  Perhaps that's my difficulty in getting on board with this theory. 

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16762 on: 12/06/2012 18:59:03 »
Kurtosis or anyone with a good understanding of how niacin might be working. There are those members who find tha niacin doesnít work, and some who have tried initially and it didnít work, but after coming back and giving it another go, found that if itís done just right, it DOES work.

However there are still those who have troubles. Iím confused by one person who, on his first try, found that it workedÖ first time in his life relatively POIS free. But since hasnít been able to duplicate the success. Seems to be following all of the rules. And even duplicating the effort that worked!

1)   if it worked once, it would have to work again right?
2)   Perhaps state of health is an influence, this person is fit and healthy, but seems to require upwards of 500mg to get a flush after several hours of fasting.
3)   I wonder if it could be a matter of zeroing in on one of the other B vitamins instead of niacin?
Any suggestions. Since this is a difficult case, it might give insight into resolving the problem for those who find success with niacin difficult, and therefore getting closer to a real solution for all.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16763 on: 12/06/2012 21:12:12 »
How many of you have had b12 levels measured? Anyone of you had b12 shots? 

See an extract below related to b12 where this person mentions the relationship between sperm and b12

"All sorts of theories get made up when real facts are lacking. The right vitamins make all the difference in the world. If a teaspoon of semen contains as much b12 as a steak it might seem rather magical revitalizing in effect, a powerful sacrement, in a society literally starving for b12."

Thanks for reposting your note. I think we miss important posts all the time so re-posting something that we overlooked and that you found important is very welcomed. To answer your question, I've never had my B12 levels tested, but could prob attach that to my nxt bloodwork pretty easily.  Does a B12 deficiency cause brainfog like we all have in common?  Because I didnt find that in a quick search i did on B12 deficiencies.  Perhaps that's my difficulty in getting on board with this theory. 
It doesn't always show up. There are a few reasons for this. b12 can be stored so it can take years before symptoms start to appear. There's also the usual problem that you can appear to be within the acceptable range but have impaired absorption of b12 so you're becoming steadily worse, eventually leading to pernicious anemia. As they point out in http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0301/p979.html
the number of people who respond to treatment with b12 injections or sublingual supplementation appears to be double those that present with low levels. When I say "respond" I don't mean some kind of vague feeling of wellbeing but also a measurable reduction in homocysteine levels. The conclusion is that the simple serum b12 tests don't necessarily identify the problem.

I've had 2 relatives develop pernicious anemia and, in both cases, their doctors thought they were fine right up until the point where their b12 levels dropped substantially. The relatives knew something was up so the cognitive symptoms seem to be a leading indicator of the reduced b12 serum levels. I've often suspected that this is a problem in PA and other b vitamin deficiencies as the body can store and convert these vitamins from one form to another (can't convert b12 however) so your body does a form of triage. Whichever system shouts the loudest gets the undersupply of whichever b vitamin.  A bit like the previous discussion about b6, b3 and histamine.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16764 on: 12/06/2012 21:24:02 »
Kurtosis or anyone with a good understanding of how niacin might be working. There are those members who find tha niacin doesnít work, and some who have tried initially and it didnít work, but after coming back and giving it another go, found that if itís done just right, it DOES work.

However there are still those who have troubles. Iím confused by one person who, on his first try, found that it workedÖ first time in his life relatively POIS free. But since hasnít been able to duplicate the success. Seems to be following all of the rules. And even duplicating the effort that worked!

1)   if it worked once, it would have to work again right?
2)   Perhaps state of health is an influence, this person is fit and healthy, but seems to require upwards of 500mg to get a flush after several hours of fasting.
3)   I wonder if it could be a matter of zeroing in on one of the other B vitamins instead of niacin?
Any suggestions. Since this is a difficult case, it might give insight into resolving the problem for those who find success with niacin difficult, and therefore getting closer to a real solution for all.

Lots of good questions. Honestly I've no idea. The only thing I can think of is that if there's both a b6 and a b12 absorption problem then substituting niacin wouldn't relieve the symptoms of b12 deficiency but would affect b6 (for all the reasons discussed earlier). Other possibilities including insufficient protein in their diet to rebuild neurotransmitters which use proteins and b vitamins as their building blocks.

Daniel's high-dose b vitamin complex might work better in these cases. I don't know.

Offline questforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #16765 on: 13/06/2012 01:40:39 »
Thank you B_Daniel and kurtosis for acknowledging my comments.

Because the effect of b12 going back into the system is so noticeable, some of you with cognitive and energy issues should feel the effect almost immediately.  I personally have benefited from b12 injections and also a transdermal b12 - there is one called MB12 Transdermal (Cenaverde).

My point with all this is that our symptoms are complex and vast.  So are the symptoms of depleted minerals and vitamins in the body.  When we excite the body or release fluids from the body that are not a waste product, we will be loosing nutrients from our system. 

If there is a absorption issue, then none of these nutrients are replenished.

It would be interesting to see how many of are low in some vital ones such as b12.  We have already seen what effects Niacin has.  B vitamins play a fundamental role in all major functions of our bodies especially the nervous system. 

Interesting some people are misdiagnosed with alzheimer's or dementia, when actually the real issue is a b12 deficiency.

Please do not think for one moment I am simply saying that we do not have a specific illness here and it is just vitamin deficiencies.  I am saying that it could be possible that pois sufferers have bodies that become over everted during times of sexual excitement and release that causes a form of chemical imbalance that takes time to be restored by replenishing nutrients that have been lost.  The energy is going out but is it being put back in.  And could this explain why there is this period after sexual release where we feel go through a period recovery which varies between us.

As we go through this cycle of sexual release and then recovery period, it is very possible our immune systems because impaired and thus bringing on other symptoms to complicate the issue further.

My theory is simple, what comes out must go back in.  Is it going back in?

Offline Omen 30

• View Profile
« Reply #16766 on: 13/06/2012 03:23:48 »
Have been waiting for a post like this here...makes a lot of sense...what is damaged should be repaired...what is wasted should be saved again...

Offline prister

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16767 on: 13/06/2012 08:03:05 »
Exactly Questionforlife and Omen 30 but the worry is what if something is permanantly damaged?
Supplements do make us feel better but if we do not continue upon it, we again get back the symptoms..!!
And every time i get pois symptoms, i can even see a change in the way my face looks.
I can call it swollen or expansion of my face...!!!
Well POIS can be a genitical problem too?
Because vitamin b12 does help in formation of dna in genes.

Offline questforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #16768 on: 13/06/2012 13:47:31 »
Pister

You are right, long term depletion can cause permanent damage.  But this is an extremity and would be rare.

The human body has a remarkable ability to repair and restore if given the chance and the correct supply of nutrients.

We cannot turn back the clock, but what we can do it get on the road to repair immediately.

I do believe we are more susceptible to pois because of our genetic makeup.  For example poor oral absorption from b12 can be through a lack of gastric intrinsic factor in the stomach which is considered by some as a hereditary condition.

Supplements are not necessarily  the answer here but understanding why we are not absorbing maybe the root of part of the problem.  Supplements could be seen as part of the recovery process, like crutches are to a broken leg.

Offline prister

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16769 on: 13/06/2012 16:42:28 »
myes, you are absolutely right questionforlife.
but i would like to say that suppression of our symtoms is the only cure.
And by suppression, i mean our own remedies like vitamin b, etc.
Because whenever a research is conducted and when the research is successful,
the answer to the disease would always be a medicine to stop the foreign pathogen.
or else part replacement.
and our problem is different,
we experience problem because of an 'O'.
i too believe in semen allergy but if internal allergy is said, then there is no proof..
none of our tissues is damaged, etc.
we just fall sick.. AND VERY BADLY SICK..
A doctor after observing me said i am having "Anxiety disorder" and NE too does happen in anxiety disorder.(Some symptoms do match it.)
And anxiety disorder happens to brainy people itseems.Well we all here are really strong people and very very intelligent too,
bcz we've been suffering from a long time and we havent given up.. AND WE NEVER WILL. And we do want a research to atleast know what is the actual cause.
But if pois proves to be a genetical disorder,
has a gene ever been modified?
And the doctor also told me to workout vigorously everyday and to burnout 1000 to 1500 calories..
this along with other supplements may prove to be a good cure..

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #16770 on: 13/06/2012 17:20:11 »

Hi everyone,

Today I went to have test of Vit B1, B3, B6, B12 & V D levels.   I am under a impression the cost is like other normal blood test.  I enquire the receptionist about the cost for all the above test.  when I saw the estimate, I was shocked.  The cost of these blood tests is 10 times more than other blood tests.  So, due to insuefficient fund I tested only V B12 level.

The normal range of Vit B 12 of my lab where I have tested is 270 - 894 pg / ml.  But my V B 12 level (fasting and without any supplement) is only 102.20 pg / ml.  I am in severe V B 12 deficiency and it is my second day after an o.So, I am feeling we are very near for the solution............

Further, I read that the semen contain (releases) lot of V B12.  So, V B12 deficiency is very familiar for root cause of POIS.

Also, our body has the capacity to convert other vitamins into Vitamin B12 if it is in deficiency.  We all have tried Niacin.  It worked partly.  So, I am under impression that, our body has absorbed B3 (nicain) and the same is converted to B 12 which is in deficiency. 

But I have tried Vitamin B complex tablets, initially for first two days it worked, but afterwords, it is not working at all.  I don't know what is the composition of B 12 in that tablet.  Also that tablet is very cheap and I have doubt about that tablet chemical composition. 

Tomorrow I am going to meet my GP and hoping for the best supplement from him. 

Offline questforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #16771 on: 13/06/2012 20:46:33 »
The problem with vitamin b complex is that the vitamins are rarely in an active form.  SO all they do is burden the liver.  The liver has to convert these to an active form for them to be of any use to the body.

B6 - is called P5P in its active form

Its not what you take, what you absorb and then convert to an active form that makes any beneficial difference to the body.

I am trying transdermal methods.  I take some DMSO cream and then open a b complex pill and then rub them both in my arm.  Or you can buy specific b12 transdermal oil. Or have injections.  These really worked for me.

By doing this, I am bypassing the stomach and the liver.  If this works for you, then this tells you something huge about yourselves, you have an issue with your stomach absorbing or your liver converting.

Remember also that if we are low on these nutrients, things like alcohol, caffeine, sugar etc will deplete us even more.  How many of you are sensitive to these things also?

Like I said pois is specific illness.  If you take diabetes as a comparison, insulin is not the cure but regulates the body and adds something that was missing due to a dysfunctional pancreas. 

All I am trying to do by going down this path is find out what is our equivalent 'insulin' for pois.  This will then lead us to what is our cause.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16772 on: 13/06/2012 22:09:53 »
The problem with vitamin b complex is that the vitamins are rarely in an active form.  SO all they do is burden the liver.  The liver has to convert these to an active form for them to be of any use to the body.

AFAIK you can buy the active forms of b6 (p5p) and b12 (Methylcobalamin) from many health food shops. Brands like solgar do sublingual  Methylcobalamin (1000 ug) and p5p.
There are a few manufacturers that produce coenzyme b-complexes with active forms of b6 and b12.

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #16773 on: 13/06/2012 22:10:36 »
Vitamin B-12 is an issue for vegan people and older people. It is found in sources from animal origin.

Vit B-12 deficiency is an Huge problem since it can cause severe and irreversible damage (Megaloblastic anemia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12_deficiency#Symptoms_and_Pathomorphology

I have always thought that this Vitamin could be well related to our POIS symptoms, but i have not found any direct relation between niacin(That is working for me since 9 months ago, completely blocking my POIS symptoms) and B-12. Any input would be appreciated questforlife,

Regards,

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #16774 on: 13/06/2012 23:07:21 »
Which b-12 to take? Thera are oral: cyanocobalamin, methylcobalamin, adeno...cobalamin or hydroxycobalamin in injections.,,,

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16774 on: 13/06/2012 23:07:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums