The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6454938 times)

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #16875 on: 02/07/2012 08:44:34 »
As a new member, I am relieved to know I'm not the only person inflicted by this disorder. I ama 20 year old Irish lad, currently afflicted by POIS, and its disrupting my work life and causing me to avoid masturbation and sex.

This started when I was 14, when I masturbated for the first time. I was scared stiff at what was happening at first, and I couldnt sleep for that night. Over the next few weeks, I felt nauseous, unwilling to eat, a strange sensation in my testicles which caused them to harden  which freaked me out immensely, and a fever.
I was constantly unfocused and unable to sleep.

Since then, I masturbate regularly and have occasional sex. Now its happened again and I feel downright awful. This time around though, I'm suffering from constipation, leading to the inability to urinate properly and vomiting, as well as dizzy spells and lack of sleep. I have avoided masturbation and sexual intercourse until the symptoms subside completely because I'm scared it may happen again. I'm too embarrassed to tell anyone, or go to a doctor about it, so I came here seeking guidance and a possible remedy to this problem.

Can anyone help me out?
Hi Scribblz,
You have to tell your doctor about it. If you're not comfortable talking to your current doctor then consider getting a new one. Ask friends to see if they'd recommend a good GP. The problem with POIS is, there's no way you can pretend it's not happening as it affects relationships, work, education etc. So you have to try and tell a medical professional what's going on. At the minimum they'll understand that there's something wrong with you and you may need them to vouch for that fact later.

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #16876 on: 02/07/2012 16:55:41 »
cabergoline has the exact opposite effect as antipsychotics.  Antipsychotics block dopamine receptors in the brain.  IF you gave cabergoline to a bipolar patient, it would cause them to go in the wildest manic phase imaginable.  on rare occasions dopamine agonists like cabergoline can cause sex and gambling addictions in otherwise normal and reserved people.   

Ok, thanks for bringing this up.  I searched through the thread and found a good few posts about people's trials with cabergoline and the other similar drug.  It seems to have only had a minimal positive effect, if any, so I don't think it's worth it!

But regarding use of cabergoline with people with psychiatric issues:  Antipsychotics reverse some of the effect of cabergoilne, too.  I looked at suggested procedures with people who are being treated for psychosis/mania.  It isn't totally thrown out, but all suggest being careful with adding cabergoline.  A psychiatrist would be wise to increase the dosage of antipsychotics if their patient were to try a dopamine agonist, but they could still try it.  I'm not going to though, it doesn't seem like prolactin is the best target for POIS treatment.  Treating the endocrine system is such a messy affair, all drugs that effect it have serious side effects...

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #16877 on: 02/07/2012 17:00:10 »
Hi Scribblz, glad you found us!

Go here and read about Niacin and how most all of us have found relief by taking it according to the method described: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=319.0

And while you are there, please register and post at those forums!  It is better than this one giant forum thread.

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #16878 on: 03/07/2012 22:05:35 »
I decided to give kurtosis' vitamin regimen a try: krill oil, magnesium, and zinc

Results: short-live but significant improvement!

I had a bad attempt at a niacin treatment last night for a planned "O".  I have been having trouble getting the full effect even with 4 hours of fasting.  Really frustrating.  So I went to my local health foods store and got the vitamins/supplements.  After 1 hour, I got excited!  I was having very poor concentration and I couldn't put together a coherent sentence, but that improved by 80%.  I didn't have as many physical problems, but they improved too.

This only lasted about 2-3 hours, though.  I am almost all the way back to the way I felt this morning before taking the supplements.  I took them again just 15 minutes ago, lets see what happens.

Exact doses:

Brand (for all 3): Nature's Way

Krill oil - 1 gram
  amount of astaxanthin in it - 1.25 mg

Magnesium (as citrate/oxide)- 500 mg

Zinc (as amino acid chelate) - 30 mg

Krill oil is sooo expensive...

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #16879 on: 03/07/2012 23:21:58 »
I decided to give kurtosis' vitamin regimen a try: krill oil, magnesium, and zinc

I had a bad attempt at a niacin treatment last night for a planned "O".  I have been having trouble getting the full effect even with 4 hours of fasting.  Really frustrating.  So I went to my local health foods store and got the vitamins/supplements.  After 1 hour, I got excited!  I was having very poor concentration and I couldn't put together a coherent sentence, but that improved by 80%.  I didn't have as many physical problems, but they improved too.

This only lasted about 2-3 hours, though.  I am almost all the way back to the way I felt this morning before taking the supplements.  I took them again just 15 minutes ago, lets see what happens.

Exact doses:

Krill oil - 1 gram

2nd time not nearly so effective, maybe 30%.  Still, this is quite interesting.  This really helped me feel better in a pinch

UPDATE: I went to the store about 1 1/2 hours after my dose.  I was looking around for some items and I noticed my ability to pay attention to details had dramatically improved.  Almost like something you'd expect an ADHD medication to do.  I was able to see each sign located above the products and scan around them much more easily.  Otherwise, it was back to feeling "in a fog"
« Last Edit: 04/07/2012 03:16:39 by Nightingale »

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #16880 on: 04/07/2012 07:01:03 »
I made a blood test and an urina test about candida and indoxyl :
candida is negative
indoxyl is : 4+ (the maximum)
It means my bowel is full of bacteria and the indoxyl is eating the tryptophan in the bowel...
The tryptophan is essential to product serotonin.
If the serotonin is low, dopamin (and noradrenalin) is also low and it leads to depression and other weird reations.

Did someone make this kind of test and what did you do then?

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16881 on: 04/07/2012 08:37:37 »

Exact doses:

Krill oil - 1 gram

2nd time not nearly so effective, maybe 30%.  Still, this is quite interesting.  This really helped me feel better in a pinch

UPDATE: I went to the store about 1 1/2 hours after my dose.  I was looking around for some items and I noticed my ability to pay attention to details had dramatically improved.  Almost like something you'd expect an ADHD medication to do.  I was able to see each sign located above the products and scan around them much more easily.  Otherwise, it was back to feeling "in a fog"
Sounds like it's having an effect though. I take zinc, magnesium and b6 every night.
Over the course of a day I probably take double the amount of the supplements you've listed and I have to do it every day.
Although I've noticed that the requirement for supplementation is getting less the longer I take it.
Maybe something is correcting itself.

You missed 2 important ingredients.
1) b6 and b12. I either get the a conezymated b-complex or buy these separately as p5p and methylcobalamin. I take the b12 every morning.
2) Complete proteins and reduce sugar. For protein sources I like liver, eggs and spirulina. I'm lactose intolerant so I only take whey when its hydrolysed with almost no lactose. You need protein to make neurotransmitters and too much sugar or carbohydrates will exacerbate nutrient absorption problems. It's tough to reduce sugar because it gives us a kick when we're down but in the long run, reducing my sugar intake by 50% (one desert / day) has improved my POIS immensely.

I agree that Krill Oil is wickedly expensive and so variable in price and quality it seems. A months's supply ranges from 18 to 35. Go figure...

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #16882 on: 04/07/2012 17:12:07 »
I neglected to mention I take a B complex pill each day, and have separate B6 supplements.  I have not been taking the B6 at night, morning instead.  I will start taking supplementary B12 too.

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #16883 on: 04/07/2012 17:59:04 »
I just sharing my experience expecting it may be the cause for POIS.

Hi,  Last month I have posted about my Vita B 12 deficiency and Vitamin D severe deficiency.  After that, I contacted the best doctor in my state and told about my symptoms and problems.  After a careful study and diagnosis, he concluded that what I am suffering is a  muscle weakness. 

As per his explanation, during orgasm many muscles in the body are involved and this will be contracted.  Hence, due to autoimmune reaction during orgasm, autoimmune neuromuscular disease leading to fluctuating muscle weakness and fatiguability. It is an autoimmune disorder, in which weakness is caused by circulating antibodies that block acetylcholine receptors at the postsynaptic neuromuscular junction, inhibiting the excitatory effects of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine on nicotinic receptors throughout neuromuscular junctions.

Further, he added after orgasm I will have a illness of same symptoms like mild Myasthenia gravis where there will be burning eyes, slurred speech, fatigue, shortness of breath due to muscular weakness in nose and around head region. 

Now he has prescribed me a Homeopothic medicine for 3 months and also advised to eat more and more vegetables and Finger millet as it help to strengthen our muscle and it gives a ability to face orgasm for our muscles. 

Further, he also added that during wet dreams there will be very less involvement of muscle contraction and hence, there will be no POIS symtoms for us.  Similarly, if I do more exercises, dips, this will result in muscle restlessness and due to this POIS symptoms will occur. 

Finally, to conclude as per him it is a muscle weakness due to auto immune reaction in the body. 

Also see the symptoms of Myasthenia gravis, you will see some of the symptoms face by POIS people. 

Hoping for best in this new treatment. 

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #16884 on: 04/07/2012 19:49:38 »
I've been studying prostaglandins lately since they are responsible for the "niacin flush."  Prostaglandin D2 is the specific one responsible, and I found that it has also been found to cause male pattern baldness:

http://www.nature.com/news/clues-to-the-cause-of-male-pattern-baldness-1.10277#/b1

I don't think this is totally new to us, but I was interested in one line in particular: "The authors also found that, in mice, PGD2 expression peaks during the hair-growth cycle stage in which the follicle begins regressing."

Just as a poll, what's everyone's hair status?  I have quite a lot of hair covering my body.  It is dark brown and I still have a lot of it on my head at 26.  I wonder, since hair growth spikes during puberty if PDG2 starts to behave differently afterwards??

Otherwise, there are drugs in development that are targeting PGD2 because it has also been found to be a major cause of asthma.  Perhaps it is worth contacting these scientists to tell them how niacin is helping us by using PGD2 for our flush?

Here's a company working on a PGD2 receptor antagonist for COPD: http://mcpharmacol.com/index.php/Journals/article/viewFile/92/89

You can find the email here for a consultant who writes about PGD2 antagonists: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20615077

And more meds discovered for trial.  Emails next to the researcher's names: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960894X06006093

"Starting with the weak agonist indomethacin, a series of potent, selective CRTh2 (DP2) antagonists have been discovered as potential treatments for asthma, allergic rhinitis and other inflammatory diseases."

I'll be working on a letter today to send out by tomorrow.  Let me know if you want to coordinate :)

« Last Edit: 04/07/2012 20:02:36 by Nightingale »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16885 on: 04/07/2012 20:33:36 »

Hi,  Last month I have posted about my Vita B 12 deficiency and Vitamin D severe deficiency.  After that, I contacted the best doctor in my state and told about my symptoms and problems.  After a careful study and diagnosis, he concluded that what I am suffering is a  muscle weakness. 

As per his explanation, during orgasm many muscles in the body are involved and this will be contracted.  Hence, due to autoimmune reaction during orgasm, autoimmune neuromuscular disease leading to fluctuating muscle weakness and fatiguability. It is an autoimmune disorder, in which weakness is caused by circulating antibodies that block acetylcholine receptors at the postsynaptic neuromuscular junction, inhibiting the excitatory effects of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine on nicotinic receptors throughout neuromuscular junctions.

Further, he added after orgasm I will have a illness of same symptoms like mild Myasthenia gravis where there will be burning eyes, slurred speech, fatigue, shortness of breath due to muscular weakness in nose and around head region. 

Now he has prescribed me a Homeopothic medicine for 3 months and also advised to eat more and more vegetables and Finger millet as it help to strengthen our muscle and it gives a ability to face orgasm for our muscles. 

Further, he also added that during wet dreams there will be very less involvement of muscle contraction and hence, there will be no POIS symtoms for us.  Similarly, if I do more exercises, dips, this will result in muscle restlessness and due to this POIS symptoms will occur. 

Finally, to conclude as per him it is a muscle weakness due to auto immune reaction in the body. 

Also see the symptoms of Myasthenia gravis, you will see some of the symptoms face by POIS people. 

Fascinating. I have an eye muscle problem too and I always assumed that had nothing to do with the POIS but it's been getting progressively worse. One thing I'm wondering about. Why did he prescribe you a homeopathic remedy? There are quite a few cholinesterase inhibitors available. Huperzine-A for instance.

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #16886 on: 04/07/2012 21:51:13 »
Guys, hope all is well with you all.

My pois is constant, only have an orgasm once or twice a month. In the first few days after sex, i have red/itchy/light sensitive eyes. These eye symptoms seem to councide with all my symptoms, extreme cognitive to fatigue. Niqcin before sex and spirulina + vitamin c after sex worked for a few months for my symptoms. Eye problems, fatigue and cognitive symptoms would subside and I was able to wake up in the morning and be alert. Lately these medications have stopped working for me an my symptoms are taking over.

Is there anyone else with these symptoms and if so what is working for you ? I really need help. It feels as if ive tried everything.

PS I do plan to follow through on my $1,000 donations.

We will beat this,

Jon.

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #16887 on: 04/07/2012 22:06:45 »

Fascinating. I have an eye muscle problem too and I always assumed that had nothing to do with the POIS but it's been getting progressively worse. One thing I'm wondering about. Why did he prescribe you a homeopathic remedy? There are quite a few cholinesterase inhibitors available. Huperzine-A for instance.
If myasthenia is suspected a Tensilon test should be performed!

But the whole acetycholine link is very interesting, because vitamin B1, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12, all of which are critical to the synthesis of acetylcholine and some of us claimed he was cured by taking Hydroxil.

« Last Edit: 04/07/2012 22:28:53 by Starsky »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #16888 on: 04/07/2012 23:04:00 »
.................... I'm too embarrassed to tell anyone, or go to a doctor about it, so I came here seeking guidance and a possible remedy to this problem......

Hi Scribblz,
You have to tell your doctor about it. If you're not comfortable talking to your current doctor then consider getting a new one. Ask friends to see if they'd recommend a good GP. The problem with POIS is, there's no way you can pretend it's not happening as it affects relationships, work, education etc. So you have to try and tell a medical professional what's going on. At the minimum they'll understand that there's something wrong with you and you may need them to vouch for that fact later.

Well put, Kurtosis.  The first couple doctors I told about my POIS, I remember nervously explaining the problem.  I've done it so many times now, that my last doctor even remarked how surprising it was that I talked about all of it so comfortably.  I don't see doctors that are family friends anymore, but I do tell this problem to male and female doctors alike.  Also, I typically try to put it within the first 2 sentences of meeting them.  "Hi, nice to meet you, I'm Daniel.  So the reason I'm coming in today is that I incur a range of symptoms after I have Orgasms.  The typical symptoms are ____(fill in the blanks here)... Have you heard of POIS?...."   

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #16889 on: 05/07/2012 04:48:25 »
I'm having trouble signing up on the other forum. I'm not getting my approval email. :( Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #16890 on: 05/07/2012 08:30:52 »

My pois is constant, only have an orgasm once or twice a month. In the first few days after sex, i have red/itchy/light sensitive eyes. These eye symptoms seem to councide with all my symptoms, extreme cognitive to fatigue. Niqcin before sex and spirulina + vitamin c after sex worked for a few months for my symptoms. Eye problems, fatigue and cognitive symptoms would subside and I was able to wake up in the morning and be alert. Lately these medications have stopped working for me an my symptoms are taking over.

Is there anyone else with these symptoms and if so what is working for you ? I really need help. It feels as if ive tried everything.

We will beat this,

Jon.

PS. I would like to thank Kurtosis for helping me time and time again without hesitation. He has given me tons of info from medications that have helped me to ideas that could be related to my issue. People like you make this forum great.

Thank you.

Offline tantalus

• hi future buddies, lets walk side by side
    • View Profile
« Reply #16891 on: 05/07/2012 10:10:31 »
"  "Hi, nice to meet you, I'm Daniel.  So the reason I'm coming in today is that I incur a range of symptoms after I have Orgasms.  The typical symptoms are ____(fill in the blanks here)... Have you heard of POIS?...."   

Hi,  B_Daniel...your message of: 04/07/2012 22:04:00.........I like to compliment you with your brilliant intro words when visiting a doctor. Great!.....every doctor will skip the (autopilot)idea that a neurotic patient is sitting in front of him, when telling about pois. i advise everybody to start talking like that, during the first visit .  (you made me giggle too)

your smart;>)   good to have you here
« Last Edit: 05/07/2012 10:16:23 by tantalus »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #16892 on: 05/07/2012 12:39:18 »

We will beat this,

Jon.

PS. I would like to thank Kurtosis for helping me time and time again without hesitation. He has given me tons of info from medications that have helped me to ideas that could be related to my issue. People like you make this forum great.

Thank you.
Thanks Jferr. I only wish we had a cure.

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #16893 on: 05/07/2012 16:15:22 »

Presently, I am taking SSRI from the past 10 months it is not giving any result.  So, my GP told me that, up to 15 days, I should take this SSRI and afterwords he will started a withdrawal treatment of SSRI. This will take another one month.  Further, he added my body requires some rest from tablet after withdrawal of SSRI.  so, totally it takes three months to start new medicine for improving muscles.  Meanwhile as Homeopathy is a natural medicine and not have any side effect, he suggested to take three months.   

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #16894 on: 05/07/2012 16:38:40 »
Hence, due to autoimmune reaction during orgasm, autoimmune neuromuscular disease leading to fluctuating muscle weakness and fatiguability.

I do not understand. Can you describe it more?

So you your doctor will cure your muscle not your reaction to semen?

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16895 on: 05/07/2012 20:11:02 »
I'm having trouble signing up on the other forum. I'm not getting my approval email. :( Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

We have a SPAM filter which has filtered over 10,000 applications in about 4 months. It uses a SPAM database. My name was on the database however, the reason I'm not too sure about, but I deal with(delete)  a lot of SPAMMers who probably put me on the list.

But somehow you may be on the list, maybe on a server that has SPAMMers or whatever. I'll look up your information and see what we can do.

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #16896 on: 05/07/2012 22:05:18 »

We have a SPAM filter which has filtered over 10,000 applications in about 4 months. It uses a SPAM database. My name was on the database however, the reason I'm not too sure about, but I deal with(delete)  a lot of SPAMMers who probably put me on the list.

But somehow you may be on the list, maybe on a server that has SPAMMers or whatever. I'll look up your information and see what we can do.

Thank you Daveman! I appreciate your help.

Note: I've been a silent reader for over a year and finally decided to enter the into the discussion.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #16897 on: 06/07/2012 07:03:04 »
It's nice to see you posting, Prancer.  Welcome to the limelight!

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #16898 on: 06/07/2012 19:24:46 »
It's nice to see you posting, Prancer.  Welcome to the limelight!

Thank you B_Daniel! It's great to be here. It feels nice to be able to share information about my POIS experience, and to communicate with other POIS sufferers about theirs. Hopefully one day soon we can all finally get our lives back from this illness.
« Last Edit: 06/07/2012 22:17:56 by Prancer »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #16899 on: 06/07/2012 22:45:47 »

For years I have had intermittent double vision (diplopia) and also ptosis of the eye (drooping of the eyelid).  The diplopia has been present now for maybe a year or so. The diagnosis is suspected Myasthenia gravis. The tests for MG have not been positive but apparently that doesn't mean that I don't have MG ( I had the Tensilon test and blood work checking for antibodies). According to my opthamologist my double vision behaves like MG. Years ago they gave me Mestanon and it seemed to help my ptosis.  I think that they will put me on it again if my condition worsens any more. Lately it has become somewhat worse, I had to bump up my corrective prism strength that I wear on my glasses ( a thin plastic with lines in it).

Here is something very interesting: years ago when I first experienced double vision it went away spoontaniously, following sex! I was drinking one night and ended up with a young lady in a parked car (this was before I became religious). I remember that I had strong feelings for her and felt great about being with her. Waking up the next day the double vision was gone! That was proof positive to me that my double vision is somehow related to my POIS. But when I told this to my eye specialists I'm sure it was one of the strangest things they ever heard on the job.

I have to say that homeopathy seems to me like a system that capitalizes on the placebo effect. But if it works for you thats great.
« Last Edit: 06/07/2012 22:57:52 by John21 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16899 on: 06/07/2012 22:45:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length