The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6440029 times)

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #17000 on: 23/07/2012 08:22:52 »
Still have not tried to have an O because still not strong enough yet. Nerves take a long time to heal so will keep you updated.
That's good news & I absolutely agree. Nobody is going to get better overnight.

Offline Itsthatskater

• View Profile
« Reply #17001 on: 23/07/2012 09:41:01 »
Hey guys, Just checking back in. I have been doing my best to deal with my symptoms as best possible. I try to stay fully hydrated and eat right. I think it would be good to check out these products by the company Usana. The multivitamins in particular. I learned about it from a fighter named Chael Sonnen. He was diagnosed with secondary hypogonadism which causes his to have low testosterone. He complained to the doctor because he was getting sick several times a month. I think there is a possibility he could have POIS but was too embarrassed to announce it publicly. Now he is on Testosterone Replacement Therapy and is on the Usana Vitamins. I have scheduled my doctors appointment and im going to see if I can get my doctor to have my blood work done so I can see if I can get TRT. The problem is im only 16 years of age. I dont think any doctor in the world would believe I have Low testosterone. I missed over 20 days of school this year and well over half of those days was because I was dealing with POIS. It isnt right and is seriously affecting my life to the point where I dont want to go to sleep the day before A big event like A wrestling match or my birthday because I dont want to have a nocturnal emission.

Offline fidalgo

• View Profile
« Reply #17002 on: 23/07/2012 14:40:26 »
Nightingale and Kurtosis, could you please explain in details the threatment are you doing? I don't understand well.

It would help if you make a post with the things you are using, the quantity, how many times a day, and the lab you bought.

Thanks

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #17003 on: 23/07/2012 17:05:45 »
Nightingale and Kurtosis, could you please explain in details the threatment are you doing? I don't understand well.

It would help if you make a post with the things you are using, the quantity, how many times a day, and the lab you bought.

Thanks

First, thanks for the info kurtosis.  Fidalgo, I have posted in detail everything you are asking for on the other POIS forums.  You should register there, because from what I understand we can't talk about specific retailers/brands because of NSF forum policies.

You should register there anyways, because finding information like this is much easier there.  I will send you a private message with the link (we can't advertise our own forums on here also because of NSF rules)

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17004 on: 23/07/2012 19:21:39 »

Thanks

First, thanks for the info kurtosis.  Fidalgo, I have posted in detail everything you are asking for on the other POIS forums.  You should register there, because from what I understand we can't talk about specific retailers/brands because of NSF forum policies.

You should register there anyways, because finding information like this is much easier there.  I will send you a private message with the link (we can't advertise our own forums on here also because of NSF rules)
Yes, that's my understanding of the rules too. Must call over to the "other forum" and take a look at what's being discussed. Thanks Nightingale.

Offline Itsthatskater

• View Profile
« Reply #17005 on: 23/07/2012 19:44:53 »
I took ZMA with no luck whatsoever.

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #17006 on: 24/07/2012 19:49:37 »
Guys,

In my few years on these forums I have never actually spoken with someone, only written. I think we could help each other  a lot more if we stated having phone sessions. You can only be so detailed on the computer. I know some of us have difficulty speaking on the phone but it's ok because so do I.

If anyone with severe cognitive symptoms would like to speak on the phone I would be very interested. A vitamin regimen that I was taking a few months back helped me with this but recently I have gotten worse again. Anyone who has almost a schizophrenic-type of issue with communication please PM me. Examples are having trouble understanding, speaking, alertness, neurological issues, etc.

I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks,

Jon.

Offline alphaq

• View Profile
« Reply #17007 on: 25/07/2012 01:44:55 »

Just like to make a few points on this.
1) Wellbutrin will increase your dopamine levels. That makes it a very different treatment to the SSRI anti-depressants most of us have been prescribed for POIS. It's also very different to ritalin and will have very different long term side effects from its use. Even if someone told me ritalin would cure POIS I'd be very worried about taking it long term.

In all the technical details I posted about prostaglandins etc. it appears plausible that dopamine and other catecholamines are out of balance and wellbutrin would help fix that. If anybody has been sent to a psychiatrist to treat their POIS then they could do a lot worse than asking them if they could try wellbutrin.

2) Anyone who has a severe neurochemical balance problem (which an O might be triggering in POIS) could suffer a really bad reaction the first time they take a treatment that may work very well in the long run. One of the big problems is that the number of receptors for neurotransmitters in the brain reduces when there's too little of the neurotransmitter in the brain. The brain strives for efficiency and tries to do more with less but it can't work miracles so the sufferer feels flat, depressed, slow-thinking etc. The treatment increases the levels of neurotransmitters which floods your brain initially. Psychiatrists do their best to vary doses to find the right level but it's not exact and everyone is different.

This is a known problem with some other anti-depressants where someone can experience severe mood swings and may feel physically sick in the first few days. It's not a reason to stop taking it and you should consult the psychiatrist who prescribed it immediately.

I don't think anybody could write off the benefit of wellbutrin to them without trying it first _under medical supervision_

Hi Kurtosis,

Just curious - what were your symptoms of POIS? Was it mostly cognitive, and did you happen to have any pressure in the head like a lot of us do?

Thanks

Offline Itsthatskater

• View Profile
« Reply #17008 on: 25/07/2012 06:26:30 »
This damn POIS is going to make me do something im going to regret.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17009 on: 25/07/2012 09:08:10 »

Just like to make a few points on this.
1) Wellbutrin will increase your dopamine levels. That makes it a very different treatment to the SSRI anti-depressants most of us have been prescribed for POIS. It's also very different to ritalin and will have very different long term side effects from its use. Even if someone told me ritalin would cure POIS I'd be very worried about taking it long term.

In all the technical details I posted about prostaglandins etc. it appears plausible that dopamine and other catecholamines are out of balance and wellbutrin would help fix that. If anybody has been sent to a psychiatrist to treat their POIS then they could do a lot worse than asking them if they could try wellbutrin.

2) Anyone who has a severe neurochemical balance problem (which an O might be triggering in POIS) could suffer a really bad reaction the first time they take a treatment that may work very well in the long run. One of the big problems is that the number of receptors for neurotransmitters in the brain reduces when there's too little of the neurotransmitter in the brain. The brain strives for efficiency and tries to do more with less but it can't work miracles so the sufferer feels flat, depressed, slow-thinking etc. The treatment increases the levels of neurotransmitters which floods your brain initially. Psychiatrists do their best to vary doses to find the right level but it's not exact and everyone is different.

This is a known problem with some other anti-depressants where someone can experience severe mood swings and may feel physically sick in the first few days. It's not a reason to stop taking it and you should consult the psychiatrist who prescribed it immediately.

I don't think anybody could write off the benefit of wellbutrin to them without trying it first _under medical supervision_

Hi Kurtosis,

Just curious - what were your symptoms of POIS? Was it mostly cognitive, and did you happen to have any pressure in the head like a lot of us do?

Thanks

Hi,
Some pressure in the head but I also have sinusitis so that's just something I live with. The primary symptoms are a feeling of nausea, intense weakness and confusion, as if all my thoughts are shut off, within a few minutes of an O.
These appear to be greatly diminished. The other symptom was holes in my memory after an O. Stuff I'd learned around the time of the O seemed wiped out. So I had the head pain but the symptoms were mainly cognitive.
I still feel a little odd when I have an O but it's so much less than it was before and I don't have the feeling my thoughts are shut off. O's feel pleasurable now, not that I'm having lots of them but previously I was down to one every 10 days whereas I'm having 3 times as many now without worrying about it.

There are no memory holes, meaning I wake up the next day and have good recall for what I learned and did the previous day (just like it used to be).
Both ginkgo and fenugreek are vasodilators so I'm guessing this is important in reducing some of the trauma of POIS. I've experienced some benefits with vinpocetine in the past which is another vasodilator. Ginkgo has neurological effects that fenugreek doesn't, as does huperzine.

I'm feeling a lot more alert. I also felt the sinusitis was improving but I got a cold last Friday (everyone in my office has one) so I'll need to get back to you on that :)

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #17010 on: 25/07/2012 22:58:36 »
Hi guys!

I just want to say that we are going to push for a reddit-like campaign on Indiegogo, to ask for more funds for our research.

I am tired of reading quotes from isolation, despair, misunderstanding, the double or triple (or more) effort we have to make to only try to show off that we have a normal life... that this terror syndrome is bringing to us. I do not want anyone to suffer from this anymore, so  I am not going to stop until we have a very good research done and not someone that falls short, so i am asking you for a very last effort to join us in this enterprise at Indiegogo.

http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=454.0

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #17011 on: 25/07/2012 23:38:32 »
anybody interested in doing lit review on what has helped to find something useful.  we will do search using google scholar instead of websites.
it is something we can do while waiting for reaserch

Offline jferr

• View Profile
« Reply #17012 on: 26/07/2012 07:55:22 »
Kurtosis, I know that I have asked you this before on a prior regimen.. What brands and when around orgasm do you take these supplements.

Thanks for your continuous help,

Jon.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17013 on: 26/07/2012 15:36:09 »
Kurtosis, I know that I have asked you this before on a prior regimen.. What brands and when around orgasm do you take these supplements.

Thanks for your continuous help,

Jon.
Hi Jon,
I'll have to message you. Forum rules prevent me from giving brand information as it could be construed as marketing or promoting products.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #17014 on: 26/07/2012 22:36:36 »
Kurtosis Method.... IT WORKS

I've been on it for 6 days, and I'm in full agreement with Nightingale... this is the real deal.  I don't feel as if my problems are masked, but I rather feel as if they're cured.  I know I created the 2-week rule, and I'm breaking it in a bad way right now.   Sometimes rules were meant to be broken.  His solution is vitamins... not a drug, not a stimulant, so I'm extremeley hopeful that this isn't a short term positive feeling.  Also, I feel increasingly better each day.  (note, I have limited email access over the next couple wks, but will try to keep ya'll updated...)

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #17015 on: 26/07/2012 22:59:38 »

I've been on it for 6 days, and I'm in full agreement with Nightingale... this is the real deal.  I don't feel as if my problems are masked, but I rather feel as if they're cured.  I know I created the 2-week rule, and I'm breaking it in a bad way right now.   Sometimes rules were meant to be broken.  His solution is vitamins... not a drug, not a stimulant, so I'm extremeley hopeful that this isn't a short term positive feeling.  Also, I feel increasingly better each day.  (note, I have limited email access over the next couple wks, but will try to keep ya'll updated...)

I think we need a one paragraph synopsis of what people are doing to replicate these results so we can all be on the same page here.

PS.

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17016 on: 27/07/2012 00:10:15 »

That is AMAZING news B_Daniel! I ordered my vitamins a few days ago and am still waiting for them. But I am SO excited to hear that this Kurtosis vitamin regimen is really working for a lot of us. I can't wait to give them a try! It would be great for us to find out which vitamins are the most important in making us feel better. I ordered pretty much everything except the huperzine A, but if that is a key ingredient then I'll buy that one in a hurry, haha.

Also, I agree with pois-sufferer that it would be nice to get a synopsis from everyone it is helping. (Maybe they will create a topic soon on the other forum like they did for the niacin results, showing what exactly people are taking and how they are feeling after. This will probably happen after more people start trying the vitamins out.)

Ok peace out...and I'll keep everyone updated when I try it out. :)

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17017 on: 27/07/2012 09:29:34 »

That is AMAZING news B_Daniel! I ordered my vitamins a few days ago and am still waiting for them. But I am SO excited to hear that this Kurtosis vitamin regimen is really working for a lot of us. I can't wait to give them a try! It would be great for us to find out which vitamins are the most important in making us feel better. I ordered pretty much everything except the huperzine A, but if that is a key ingredient then I'll buy that one in a hurry, haha.

Also, I agree with pois-sufferer that it would be nice to get a synopsis from everyone it is helping. (Maybe they will create a topic soon on the other forum like they did for the niacin results, showing what exactly people are taking and how they are feeling after. This will probably happen after more people start trying the vitamins out.)

Ok peace out...and I'll keep everyone updated when I try it out. :)

I'd order the huperzine A & take as described on the other forum. You could take 200mcg every second day or 100mcg / day. I wouldn't recommend taking it every day for more than 4/5 days a week. These might just be "herbs and vitamins" but the pharmacological effects of something like Huperzine are noticeable. Specifically it's an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, similar to the way many anti-depressants inhibit serotonin reuptake. It's a drug that's being tested to treat alzheimers.
Remember that aspirin was derived from willow bark so herb's can be potent and much of our medicine has derived from understanding the actions of herbal remedies.

Now what I don't know, is whether Huperzine is providing a lift but our acetylcholine levels are around normal range or whether it's treating a diminishment in our acetylcholine levels. The latter is the "muscle weakness" hypothesis and it's difficult to test.

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17018 on: 27/07/2012 22:02:14 »
I'd order the huperzine A & take as described on the other forum. You could take 200mcg every second day or 100mcg / day. I wouldn't recommend taking it every day for more than 4/5 days a week. These might just be "herbs and vitamins" but the pharmacological effects of something like Huperzine are noticeable. Specifically it's an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, similar to the way many anti-depressants inhibit serotonin reuptake. It's a drug that's being tested to treat alzheimers.
Remember that aspirin was derived from willow bark so herb's can be potent and much of our medicine has derived from understanding the actions of herbal remedies.

Now what I don't know, is whether Huperzine is providing a lift but our acetylcholine levels are around normal range or whether it's treating a diminishment in our acetylcholine levels. The latter is the "muscle weakness" hypothesis and it's difficult to test.

I was able to find and purchase the huperzine earlier today. Thank you, now I know it is more crucial than I first thought.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17019 on: 28/07/2012 03:35:31 »
Hey, haven't been on the forum in a while... sorry

I hear Kurtosis has something that may work for POIS?

Can someone please send me an email or a PM, I just have been very busy lately and today I had pretty bad POIS.  I really want to try this new concoction as I was thinking about just veering off the side of the road into a tree to end this misery.  But I had to reassure to myself that my pois worst stage is very short.

Can someone please PM me a message.  Thanks a lot.  I mean it.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17020 on: 28/07/2012 03:42:54 »
Another thing,  with niacin... do you "O" during the flush? after the flush?  How long after the flush?  Before the flush?

Thanks.  Sorry, just beat up with POIS right now.

Anybody get night sweats with POIS?
« Last Edit: 28/07/2012 03:45:50 by GoingCrazy »

Offline Mer

• View Profile
« Reply #17021 on: 28/07/2012 03:58:09 »
Hi everyone,

Could someone please provide a final list of kurtosis's remedy. (I'm in so much brain fog now lol)

I can't wait to order them now.

Thank you!

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17022 on: 28/07/2012 04:00:04 »
Another thing,  with niacin... do you "O" during the flush? after the flush?  How long after the flush?  Before the flush?

Thanks.  Sorry, just beat up with POIS right now.

Anybody get night sweats with POIS?

Hello GoingCrazy!

I sent you a message about the Kurtosis vitamin regimen.

It is my understanding that you should wait until about 20 minutes AFTER the flush for it to work the best. Also, try fasting for about 3 hours before you take the niacin for a stronger flush.

I really want to try this new concoction as I was thinking about just veering off the side of the road into a tree to end this misery.  But I had to reassure to myself that my pois worst stage is very short.

Don't worry GoingCrazy! POIS is very bad, but I am very hopeful that one day in the near future there will be a cure. Give the Kurtosis vitamin regimen a try and see how it works for you. Stay strong! :)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17023 on: 28/07/2012 06:30:49 »
Thanks a lot prancer, you are a lot of help.

The vitamin concoction.  Glad it is working for some people. 

I don't know if I would say that we have a vitamin deficiency, there's just no way that a normal person would need this amount of vitamins just to have an orgasm without POIS.  Maybe it is masking the bodies reaction to it?  Maybe we have something in us taking away our nutrients (a parasite) needed to have a successful orgasm?

I've also thought of my pois just being a post orgasmic migraine, has anybody ever tried Indometacin?
« Last Edit: 28/07/2012 06:37:28 by GoingCrazy »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17024 on: 28/07/2012 10:10:06 »
Thanks a lot prancer, you are a lot of help.

The vitamin concoction.  Glad it is working for some people. 

I don't know if I would say that we have a vitamin deficiency, there's just no way that a normal person would need this amount of vitamins just to have an orgasm without POIS.  Maybe it is masking the bodies reaction to it?  Maybe we have something in us taking away our nutrients (a parasite) needed to have a successful orgasm?

I've also thought of my pois just being a post orgasmic migraine, has anybody ever tried Indometacin?
Parasite, auto-immune, genetic problem impeding or preventing some enzymatic reactions, bacterial infection in the gut... all possibilities.
I know I have gut problems revealed in a colonoscopy but a few rounds of antibiotics don't seem to have fixed them.

I'm not suggesting that POIS sufferers just need lots of vitamins for no reason but it's going to be very difficult to find out what the actual reason is without a coordinated research programme (which we can't discuss on NSF as it requires funds to be raised).

However, to suggest that something is masking POIS is not accurate. We simply do not know what's causing POIS and with this supplement regime my biggest concern is trying to prevent neurological damage from long term POIS. Even if our brain cells are not being attacked by the illness, if its affecting our neurotransmitters such that we can't think then our brain development (and learning of course) is being affected. This is a form of cumulative brain damage where you move farther and farther away from the potential you had without POIS.

While we're waiting to figure out what the cause is, I want to be functional. So it's about managing a condition. I never claimed a "cure".

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17024 on: 28/07/2012 10:10:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length