The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6459082 times)

Offline Citizen A

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #17100 on: 09/08/2012 08:47:58 »
Hi everyone! I have had similar symptoms for couple of years now, in my case theyīre not so severe, usually lasting a day or two. I had anxiety attacs and insomnia before pois. For some reason I always thought, that its caused by something, thats eating my hormones and unbalancing me emotionally.
My profile (so You can compare possible factors) :
Im 36, started smoking and drinking when I was 13, now clean for 3,5 years, had allergies as a child and lots of antibiotic treatments against toncillitis. I have autoimmune disorder called lichen planus and nail fungus (both fingers and toes), that I ll try to treat, but because of my work in humid places and constant contact with wet gloves, is not that simple. I also have weak joints (fingers,elbows etc.) donīt know if it got anything to do with the matter. I dont drink coffee for same reason- its getting me hectic. Donīt eat sugar. I do drink milk. Have frequent eye -and headaches. Anyway, I have a theory, that the condition as pois is related to some bacteria or fungus (candida?), thats eating hormones and vital minerals and I agree, that its living possibly in our stomach (or brain?). I have had constipation for a long time. Im almost in constant stress, but its getting worse having O s, usually on second morning-having symptoms similar to hangover. Marijuana soothed the anxiety (tried it for a couple of months, after that it came back, maybe a bit worse), but Im sure, that its a two edged sword, and its not helping with the cause (I feel same way about vitamin /mineral supplements). And I think that pois is only indicating the problem as the act of having sex is comparable to any very hard physical/ emotional effort, that rushes your hormones. Going to a gym on a regular bases helped me too, but maybe it just boosted my testosterone level for that period of time- so the "enemy" had more to eat than it needed and leaved some of it to me (oh and I took some supplements too at that time) ... Im not a scientist so dont be harsh on my theories. And english isnīt my 1st language so give me some slack on my grammar too... Glad to find this conversation and hope that someone finds cure to this condition! Im also interested if someone have  conditions and/or observations similar to mine.
« Last Edit: 09/08/2012 09:32:29 by Citizen A »

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #17101 on: 10/08/2012 00:48:42 »
Citizen A - what interests me are the sufferers who got pois later in life. I had it pretty much when I started puberty. I think this is the case for the vast majority of guys here. With the few people who got it later in life, I would love to think it would be possible to trace back to a incident that triggered the change for them. So you got it around 34 and it seems after you started to clean up your health, which one would like to think would help to reduce pois. Anyway...your fungus theory...what evidence do you have to make you suspect this? Did you get the fungus growth/lichen planus for the first time a couple of years back?
Anything change in your life around 33-34 when you first started to get pois?

Offline msl

• View Profile
« Reply #17102 on: 10/08/2012 02:05:04 »
Does anybody else get really large pupils/dilated iris during POIS-time? This is something that I have noticed. The reason I noticed is that I have eye-floaters (trivial problems in themselves, they are the shadow of clumps in the vitreous gel of the eye) and they became more obvious during POIS-time. Now everytime I look in the mirror I seem to have really dilated eyes. Why exactly this occurs I think is a really interesting question because I think it has something to do with the sympathetic nervous system.

Offline msl

• View Profile
« Reply #17103 on: 10/08/2012 02:24:50 »
Here's another back story. I was out in Coventry on the street and it got quite late. I was on the way back to the bus stop when two guys started giving me some trouble. A fight broke out and I fought them for a bit but being two against one they beat me down quite a bit until luckily some other people ran over and chased them off. I wasn't too bad, I had no blood or anything but I was quite dazed. The people called for an ambulance and when the paramedics arrived they looked at my pupils and kept asking me if I had "taken something". I repeatedly said no (not even alcohol) and they were very sceptical. So keywords are

sympathetic nervous system
eye dilation
fight-or-flight
dopamine

but here's the thing, dilated pupils from what I have read are caused by an EXCESS of dopamine. Isn't the general concensus that POIS is related to a lack of dopamine? Your thoughts please ^^

Offline msl

• View Profile
« Reply #17104 on: 10/08/2012 02:45:00 »
Lastly, I also have experienced this cloudy urine. For a long time I have suspected that it is semen. Some places you read will tell you that it is phosphates and I think a way to test this is to add a potent acid to a beaker of the cloudy urine (like a strong vinegar or something) and it should go clear if it is phosphates. Like amijgoro I also have this "hair trigger penis". It makes riding the bus, cycling and some trousers very very uncomfortable - I hate it, it makes me feel very lightly POISy. So even when I haven't had an orgasm for a very long period of time, I still have this to contend with which gives me light POIS symptoms, so pure blissful mental clarity is something I don't often have :'( I'm not sure if this is different from persistent sexual arousal disorder, I think it is because it is not that I have an erection all the time. Makes me suicidal sometimes! ^^ Nobody would understand though except for the people on this forum.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17105 on: 10/08/2012 04:07:43 »
Lastly, I also have experienced this cloudy urine. For a long time I have suspected that it is semen. Some places you read will tell you that it is phosphates and I think a way to test this is to add a potent acid to a beaker of the cloudy urine (like a strong vinegar or something) and it should go clear if it is phosphates. Like amijgoro I also have this "hair trigger penis". It makes riding the bus, cycling and some trousers very very uncomfortable - I hate it, it makes me feel very lightly POISy. So even when I haven't had an orgasm for a very long period of time, I still have this to contend with which gives me light POIS symptoms, so pure blissful mental clarity is something I don't often have :'( I'm not sure if this is different from persistent sexual arousal disorder, I think it is because it is not that I have an erection all the time. Makes me suicidal sometimes! ^^ Nobody would understand though except for the people on this forum.

I think the "hair trigger penis"  ?  will get better over time.  I used to be afraid of all arousal but as long as your abstaining and taking what you need to be taking to help with POIS the affects will be a lot less if not even there.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17106 on: 10/08/2012 04:12:52 »
So I wonder if anyone has ever tried an anti-androgen. They're sometimes used by people who have a hair loss problem or who have severe acne, but a side effect is lower sex drive. I came across a site where they were talking about reducing their drive because some of them are orgasm addicts.(http://www.eunuch.org/forums/showthread.php?1018-30-Days-of-Androcur). One of the interesting things I read was that it made one of the users clear minded and relaxed after taking it. It also significantly reduces semen volume. Many of the POISers here also have a very high libido, including me. I always wondered if a very high libido is a symptom of POIS, or if it is the other way around. I'm very casually thinking about trying something like this, but I wouldn't take such high doses that the users are taking over there, as I would want to lower my drive, not eliminate it. At the very least, it would reduce the amount of orgasms I have and allow me to abstain for way, way longer.

This is just a question and not a recommendation to anyone. Also, there are a few side effects such as hot flashes lower muscle density.
It is interesting that Demografx has been "cured" effectively by testosterone patches which would have the opposite effect of an anti-androgen.

We had a talk about this quite a while ago, not sure if your were around.  I believe I posted a link about testosterone and histamine, I'll see if I can find it.  It might give out a plausible theory as to why extra testosterone has helped with demo's POIS.

http://ajplegacy.physiology.org/content/201/4/740.abstract

It's interesting that even after they injected the rat with histamine, while on testosterone, the rat urinated about 23% of the injected histamine.  So it seems like testosterone almost "eats up" histamine.

I'm thinking more and more each day that the POIS reaction has to do with overrelease of histamine, or a reaction involving it in the brain.

Offline Citizen A

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17107 on: 10/08/2012 05:40:22 »
Acronym, only thing that I can think of is that I stopped smoking then, after being hevy smoker for 20 years or so(2-3 packs a day). I also got cardiac arhytmia after I kicked it and started using magnesium+b vitamin supplement.  My mold/fungus/candida theory is based on my habit of having 4-5 beers (and sometimes even more) every night after work, that means a lot of yeast. That combined with antibiotics (whitch kill every useful microbe in your stomach, but yeast) is not a pleasent mix. I got white tongue and viscid saliva, developed lichen planus(spots on skin, bloody ulcers in my mouth-theyre worse when Im very worried and distressed) and nail fungus. So I kicked beer and other alcohol too, trying to get rid of them, stopped eating sugar etc. As I said I never had so severe POIS, as others here describe, or my other problems are equally annoying...  Don`t know. Im a pack of problems :D. Didnīt mean to whine though. I had hairtrigger penis in my young puberties, but then again, who doesnīt. It kinda went away after 17 or so. Seems to me, that I developed POIS after kicking my bad habits :)
« Last Edit: 10/08/2012 06:02:39 by Citizen A »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17108 on: 10/08/2012 11:19:40 »
Here's another back story. I was out in Coventry on the street and it got quite late. I was on the way back to the bus stop when two guys started giving me some trouble. A fight broke out and I fought them for a bit but being two against one they beat me down quite a bit until luckily some other people ran over and chased them off. I wasn't too bad, I had no blood or anything but I was quite dazed. The people called for an ambulance and when the paramedics arrived they looked at my pupils and kept asking me if I had "taken something". I repeatedly said no (not even alcohol) and they were very sceptical. So keywords are

sympathetic nervous system
eye dilation
fight-or-flight
dopamine

but here's the thing, dilated pupils from what I have read are caused by an EXCESS of dopamine. Isn't the general concensus that POIS is related to a lack of dopamine? Your thoughts please ^^

Not necessarily. Pupils dilate to let light into your eye so the shape of your eye could have an effect also. Pupils will also dilate in the case of a flight/fight sympathetic nervous system response. Say someone had a condition that led to low level of catecholamines (who knows why) on occasion and the brain had adapted to this with increased receptors. Then an arousal state (sexual, being threatened, actual aggression) would increase the levels of dopamine and perhaps a super-sensitive response. Levels of catecholamines are not constant & they try to balance themselves through actions like the release of prolactin after an O. In the case I describe, the person with the wildly fluctuating catecholamines may show very dilated pupils under stimulation. It doesn't mean that they wouldn't have an reduced levels of catecholamines to the point of dysfunction under some circumstances. It may also lead them to subconsciously seek out arousal to give them some respite. This is why, I believe, that a more drawn out arousal period with someone that you feel a bond with may actually help a POIS sufferer not have a really bad O. Whereas the worst case would be sudden and intense arousal, a temporary spike in dopamine followed by a quick O and sharp depletion. This is not remotely the same as suggesting it's a psychosomatic illness.

I've been asked questions about dilated pupils myself.  I don't have dilated pupils most of the time but I used to go to a very cute optician and, well, she used to snigger a bit when doing the eye exams. I asked her what the problem was and she said "well you're either on 'medication' or just very pleased to see me". I guess I was :)

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #17109 on: 11/08/2012 00:31:09 »
Acronym, only thing that I can think of is that I stopped smoking then, after being hevy smoker for 20 years or so(2-3 packs a day). I also got cardiac arhytmia after I kicked it and started using magnesium+b vitamin supplement.  My mold/fungus/candida theory is based on my habit of having 4-5 beers (and sometimes even more) every night after work, that means a lot of yeast. That combined with antibiotics (whitch kill every useful microbe in your stomach, but yeast) is not a pleasent mix. I got white tongue and viscid saliva, developed lichen planus(spots on skin, bloody ulcers in my mouth-theyre worse when Im very worried and distressed) and nail fungus. So I kicked beer and other alcohol too, trying to get rid of them, stopped eating sugar etc. As I said I never had so severe POIS, as others here describe, or my other problems are equally annoying...  Don`t know. Im a pack of problems :D. Didnīt mean to whine though. I had hairtrigger penis in my young puberties, but then again, who doesnīt. It kinda went away after 17 or so. Seems to me, that I developed POIS after kicking my bad habits :)
Its ironic your health actually got a little worse after cleaning up your lifestyle. Maybe the mobilization of the accumulated toxins made things worse. Lots of brews + antibiotics is a receipe for candida. Okay so it seems you took ABx around the time you got POIS...yes?  I did (tetracyclines) too and so did a few others on this forum. I also had very white tongue & viscous saliva in my late teens at the same time  I got pois. I did not get nail fungus, but I noticed what was fungal like growth on parts of my body as well at that time. You have done the right things in terms of quiting beer + sugar. There is a good chance you have/had candida overgrowth. If you see a doctor about this chances are they will dismiss it. You will be better off seeing a naturopath or researching on the web, the diet & supplements to follow (an anti-fungal drug will make it quicker though)...it can be stubborn.  It took me a number of years before I found a doctor who picked up it was a problem for me and put me on nystatin and that took a while to work. I had a hard time sticking to strict diet, because of cravings.

Last year I had a great burst of health when my CFS doc put me an anti-parasite + anti-fungal (Nizoral) treatment. It wore off after a 5 wks. I subsequently retook both treatments and they worked less each time. At this stage I have not pushed for a stronger anti-fungal as I have been following another treatment protocol for the time being (for CFS).

A number of people here have had an improvment (not cure) in their pois by pretty much following an anti-candida program. Its a little surprising. Maybe a number of us (bit not all though) haver candida and that screws up our health to an extrent that other issues, compromised immunity, lowered ability to remove toxins or deficiences arise and we get pois. IDK. My pois definitely improves when I am on holidays were I spend most time outdoors in the mountains or by the sea. I don't know if these means lowered mold exposure or reduced pollutants so my body is able to detoxify things better.

I remember reading a few case histories for guys who took finasteride (for hair loss) and how it totally screwed them up, with quite a number having sexual related problems. what surprised me was how some of these guys restored their health by doing a detox, really clean lifestyle protocol. They had to flush the drug out of their system, reset their receptors and adopt a lifestlye/diet that provided all the nutrients that allowed their body to restore health. While not calling it an anti-candida diet, that is what they bascially did.

For the guy/s here considering Finisteride to lower their libido (does not work for all), be aware it could easily be permanent. If there is a cure for pois in the next couple of years and if you decide to go off finisteride and get back to business sex wise you will be disappointed. Your new gf wont be impressed with your apathy, low libido, erection dysfunction, inability to shoot & small loads. Likewise you wont be happy with reduced orgasm pleasure.  I realise a few here think that something like finisteride would be great to stop the lust + hair trigger response ...currently (but just realise there is a good chance you wont be able to go back, if you get a relationship or their is a cure).
« Last Edit: 11/08/2012 00:37:54 by acronym »

Offline Citizen A

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17110 on: 11/08/2012 07:21:42 »
Not one doctor, of altogether 4, took seriously my candida theory, they all just talked about yeast infections of genitals. I took blood tests that turned out normal, including testosterone level (they didnīt test candida). I remember couple of times, that I had longer period (2-3weeks) without sex and Ive got itchy, reddish genitals, I blamed it to low hormone level and it wasnīt the same issue to me then.  Anyway somehow I think all autoimmune disorders and allergies are related with mold/fungus toxines in our bodies. I took lamisil  for three months 2 pills per day (twice the normal amount). At the same time I used terbinafinum ointment for my nails with a good outcome . But the fungus came slowly back after some time, so I blamed my working conditions and humidity. Basically I think, that candida/fungus gets stronger and immune to treatment, this explains the short term improvement with medications like nizoral and lamisil. At the moment I try all fresh vegetables diet, with two boiled eggs per day. The idea is cut off the starch/sugar as much as possible. Itīs my third day now and I expected some severe revenge, but so far I have only fatique, mild headache and mild insomnia, that can be just malnutrition. And Im not sure I got POIS before or after kicking my bad habits, maybe it was one of the reasons I came clean... Im pretty sure  it was the same time period though. I can do this diet only because Im in my summer  vacation now, I must eat normal to cope with my everyday job ,which starts again next week. Oh, and I belive that mild POIS is bodys normal responce to losing bodily fluids, hormones and minerals, you just donīt notice it before it gets acute and it gets acute only if your balance is way off because of other possible factors. Mine is not so mild, but bearable compaired to the others here. And having a vacation helps in many ways. I think that stress is the vital factor too, with Pois and allergies and autoimmune diseases. Itīs kinda like they work together- stress triggers them and they bring stress along with them, so itīs like an endless circle.
« Last Edit: 11/08/2012 07:50:20 by Citizen A »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17111 on: 11/08/2012 11:49:29 »
Not one doctor, of altogether 4, took seriously my candida theory, they all just talked about yeast infections of genitals. I took blood tests that turned out normal, including testosterone level (they didnīt test candida). I remember couple of times, that I had longer period (2-3weeks) without sex and Ive got itchy, reddish genitals, I blamed it to low hormone level and it wasnīt the same issue to me then.  Anyway somehow I think all autoimmune disorders and allergies are related with mold/fungus toxines in our bodies. I took lamisil  for three months 2 pills per day (twice the normal amount). At the same time I used terbinafinum ointment for my nails with a good outcome . But the fungus came slowly back after some time, so I blamed my working conditions and humidity. Basically I think, that candida/fungus gets stronger and immune to treatment, this explains the short term improvement with medications like nizoral and lamisil. At the moment I try all fresh vegetables diet, with two boiled eggs per day. The idea is cut off the starch/sugar as much as possible. Itīs my third day now and I expected some severe revenge, but so far I have only fatique, mild headache and mild insomnia, that can be just malnutrition. And Im not sure I got POIS before or after kicking my bad habits, maybe it was one of the reasons I came clean... Im pretty sure  it was the same time period though. I can do this diet only because Im in my summer  vacation now, I must eat normal to cope with my everyday job ,which starts again next week. Oh, and I belive that mild POIS is bodys normal responce to losing bodily fluids, hormones and minerals, you just donīt notice it before it gets acute and it gets acute only if your balance is way off because of other possible factors. Mine is not so mild, but bearable compaired to the others here. And having a vacation helps in many ways. I think that stress is the vital factor too, with Pois and allergies and autoimmune diseases. Itīs kinda like they work together- stress triggers them and they bring stress along with them, so itīs like an endless circle.
Lot of cold water has been poured on the candida theory before but there's also some evidence that we're somehow not absorbing some proteins and vitamins properly as several POIS sufferers have messaged me to say they've responded to increasing protein and b vitamin intake.

Embarrassingly enough, I get thrush regularly and it rarely clears up. I was prescribed a few doses of fungicides. It returned but I did feel better for a while. Have you tried taking large amounts of garlic? If you take them in the morning with some taurine and probiotics later in the day it might give you some relief.

Even if you don't subscribe to the candida theory, there's no doubt that our diets have much more refined sugar and substances like MSG than 100 years ago. These may be generally safe in the sense that the lethal doses are quite high, but that doesn't mean that some people with other genetic or environmental interactions won't suffer an adverse affect.

Offline dante88

• View Profile
« Reply #17112 on: 11/08/2012 23:50:20 »
I thought that maybe my issue was candida as well...I was on tetracycline for many years (12-17 yrs old). I had a test performed by a local naturopath and the results were negative ( I didn't have Candida). I am wondering if it is another type of fungus that I am having issues with. It would make sense that we are unable to absorb and replenish nutrients because of fungal overgrowth. What exactly is the Candida diet?

My common sense is telling me that the issue is neurotransmitters (dopamine)...just because of how "strung out" I feel after sexual stimulation...but it could be a combination of the two (fungal overgrowth & neurotransmitter depletion).

I will say that I do have "jock itch", which is basically a fungus growing in my groin area...and I have had it for many years.

I'm still waiting on the Zaditen SRO to arrive...unfortunately its not available in the states, so it has to be shipped from Canada.

On a slightly more depressing note, my girlfriend of the past 7 months broke up with me yesterday because of my POIS symptoms...I'm hoping this anithistamine works...and I can lead a normal life.

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #17113 on: 12/08/2012 03:11:13 »
dante88 - regarding you taking tetracyline from 12-17...at what age did you get pois?
Sorry to hear your gf broke up with you over pois. Its happened to me a few times, and I suspect more even if they try to make out its not because of that. I feel having pois also makes it hard to get a gf (in terms of having vitality & confidence) to begin with for some of us and that has definitly been the case for me + I am a skinny guy also and most girls are less friendly to begin with because of that. I initially dont tell a new woman I have pois, but after a while when she complains and wanting more sex I explain it. Because the relationships have not been long term to begin with, the last few lost interest in me after I told them. A number of guys here are married or have gfs. I wonder if most have found it a big negative when it came to gfs.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17114 on: 12/08/2012 04:54:39 »
Dante in regards to antihistamines, have you tried claritin 24-hour?  It seems to work for me if I take it an hour before sex.  I am just wondering if you had tried it before and now trying something else because it didn't work or if its the first one you are trying.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17115 on: 12/08/2012 09:42:48 »
Sorry to hear your gf broke up with you over pois. Its happened to me a few times, and I suspect more even if they try to make out its not because of that. I feel having pois also makes it hard to get a gf (in terms of having vitality & confidence) to begin with for some of us and that has definitly been the case for me + I am a skinny guy also and most girls are less friendly to begin with because of that. I initially dont tell a new woman I have pois, but after a while when she complains and wanting more sex I explain it. Because the relationships have not been long term to begin with, the last few lost interest in me after I told them. A number of guys here are married or have gfs. I wonder if most have found it a big negative when it came to gfs.
It seems like it's a bit problem. I believed that 3 break ups were caused by POIS as, at the time, I decided to be honest early in the relationship (a few weeks) and it just didn't work.

The relationship I'm in now has been going for 8 years. I think the secret was that I was on a career break from work when I met her and I didn't mention anything about POIS for over 9 months and she was a bit older so took a more mature view on it. Those 9 months were crazy. I felt like crap sometimes but I just drank a lot of redbull (taurine, b's and caffeine) and pretended everything was fine. This might sound hypocritical but I decided that women do not want to hear there's a sexual problem in the early stages of a relationship. A shocking generalisation perhaps but POIS doesn't square with fairytale weddings, dream house and 2 kids. Even if all these things are possible, the mood swings and cognitive symptoms are not pleasant to deal with.

However, an interesting thing happened when I decided to ignore some of the POIS effects. I was less stressed and it got easier to deal with. The cognitive symptoms were still there but I wasn't obsessing about it. And I drank a lot of a popular energy drink :)

Then there's the confidence issue. If the girl says and does things to make you feel less confident then tell her. Why go out with someone who makes you feel bad? Unfortunately this is a really hard lesson to learn.

Where it's most problematic is in your 20s as you'll face unrealistic expectations and pressure from friends to be in a relationship, even with someone you're clearly unsuited to. Add another 10 years and potential girlfriends' priorities change dramatically. Then, the coping skills you've learned to deal with POIS can actually be a positive thing & mental strength to persevere can be more important than lifting weights in the gym. Not that I haven't done that :)

I'm not saying a relationship is impossible for a POIS sufferer (it's clearly not) but you need to have some perspective. Most relationships fail. If it wasn't POIS it could have been something else. Looking back at my 3 relationships that failed where I blamed POIS, I'm only friendly with and actually like one of the girls who later told me that the POIS thing wasn't the clincher for why we broke up. There were just other stressors, some of which had nothing to do with me. The other 2 girls were entirely unsuitable for emotional or spiritual reasons (views of the world and people were just too different) yet I was convinced for ages that the only reason those relationships failed was POIS. Don't get fixated on POIS as the reason for a breakup. People have their own baggage.

Offline danny123

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17116 on: 12/08/2012 11:13:11 »
THEORY: ADRENALINE

In the last 4 months my wife and I have been trying to have children. At first this was a terrifying prospect for me as I get severe psychological problems with the O. So bad I would normally only have one once every month or two. Anyway before this stage in our life I was terrified to have sex but something interesting has happened. Every time I have the "O" I have used my knowledge of how it effects me in a positive way. For example I thought to lay low with my social interactions because normally POIS challenges my social confidence, make a greater effort in my work performance because normally I perform poorly experiencing the brain fog, know I'm not seeing things to clearly so not respond to critically etc. And I found that I some how coped with the POIS effects ok. Then trying for babies again and another "O" and I have to be on guard again! And this experience has been repeated over and over. When I had breaks and the fog cleared for a  short while I noticed I had performed better at points when I had severe POIS?  Generally life is not worth living and everything feels bad with POIS, so the question is why is there a change? After some thought I've come up with the idea of adrenaline. Ok here's the theory I get so mentally psyched up that I produce natural adrenaline out of a pure desire to exercise as much control over my POIS as possible. I guess its like when I kayak a hard rapid, first I prepare for it by studying the danger areas and mentally rehearse my  decent down the rapid. Then I get on the water and it's clam and glassy before leading into the big water, I'm pumped and focused on what I have to do then finally I hit the big water and I'm trying to stick to the plan the best I can through the rapid. And eventually I pop out in one piece down the other side. It's the adrenaline,will desire and having some knowledge of my POIS experience that gets me POIS moments. The POIS problems don't go away but I prepare for them so I can come out the other side in one piece.

I don't know how adrenaline works when given to people but I wonder how it would work if I took it in small doses when I have POIS? I know there are views about antihistamines on this site so I wonder if this has any links to antihistamines? Because when a person has allergies they need antihistamines when they get a bad reaction but in severe reaction adrenaline is given to fight the infection. Do antihistamines carry adrenaline like properties? Is being given some adrenaline a good idea? Will it give us the energy, vitality and clarity in our moments of brain fog?   

Anyway look forward to hearing your thoughts : )       

b_racer

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17117 on: 12/08/2012 14:44:25 »
THEORY: ADRENALINE

In the last 4 months my wife and I have been trying to have children. At first this was a terrifying prospect for me as I get severe psychological problems with the O. So bad I would normally only have one once every month or two. Anyway before this stage in our life I was terrified to have sex but something interesting has happened. Every time I have the "O" I have used my knowledge of how it effects me in a positive way. For example I thought to lay low with my social interactions because normally POIS challenges my social confidence, make a greater effort in my work performance because normally I perform poorly experiencing the brain fog, know I'm not seeing things to clearly so not respond to critically etc. And I found that I some how coped with the POIS effects ok. Then trying for babies again and another "O" and I have to be on guard again! And this experience has been repeated over and over. When I had breaks and the fog cleared for a  short while I noticed I had performed better at points when I had severe POIS?  Generally life is not worth living and everything feels bad with POIS, so the question is why is there a change? After some thought I've come up with the idea of adrenaline. Ok here's the theory I get so mentally psyched up that I produce natural adrenaline out of a pure desire to exercise as much control over my POIS as possible. I guess its like when I kayak a hard rapid, first I prepare for it by studying the danger areas and mentally rehearse my  decent down the rapid. Then I get on the water and it's clam and glassy before leading into the big water, I'm pumped and focused on what I have to do then finally I hit the big water and I'm trying to stick to the plan the best I can through the rapid. And eventually I pop out in one piece down the other side. It's the adrenaline,will desire and having some knowledge of my POIS experience that gets me POIS moments. The POIS problems don't go away but I prepare for them so I can come out the other side in one piece.

I don't know how adrenaline works when given to people but I wonder how it would work if I took it in small doses when I have POIS? I know there are views about antihistamines on this site so I wonder if this has any links to antihistamines? Because when a person has allergies they need antihistamines when they get a bad reaction but in severe reaction adrenaline is given to fight the infection. Do antihistamines carry adrenaline like properties? Is being given some adrenaline a good idea? Will it give us the energy, vitality and clarity in our moments of brain fog?   

Anyway look forward to hearing your thoughts : )       

b_racer
It's another of the catecholamines. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catecholamine
dopamine is a byproduct of the synthesis of adrenaline as it's oxidised and then methylated into epinephrine (the other word for adrenaline). So when your adrenal gland produces adrenaline you're also increasing your levels of dopamine as a side-effect.
I wouldn't recommend this as a POIS treatment for the simple reason that stimulating the adrenal gland to produce adrenaline will produce a temporary high but will also produce cortisol (a stress hormone). It's also psychologically bad as you're conditioning a stress / anxiety response to deal with cognitively difficult tasks. Over at the poiscenter website we've found that a lot of POIS suffers seem to have quantitative jobs like finance or forms of engineering. Life becomes pretty unbearable if you have to do your demanding job on adrenaline as you are physiologically always stressed. It's a recipe for a nervous breakdown.

However, the adrenaline idea sounds plausible. It's bit like the way a 2nd O sometimes wipes out POIS so long as a body has the ingredients to spike dopamine levels but not prolactin. That's my theory anyway and some posters seem to have noticed this 2nd O effect.

Offline dante88

• View Profile
« Reply #17118 on: 12/08/2012 16:48:20 »
Kurtosis, that sounds very logical.

This kind of plays into my dopamine theory...during sexual arousal the body uses up a lot of dopamine...some of it is converted to norepinephrine (adrenaline). Since the hypothalamus is compromised by an immune reaction (elevated cortisol), the body is unable to replenish dopamine levels and therefore natural adrenaline response is also affected (feeling fatigued).

Have any of you noticed that you look different after "O"...like more pale and swollen eyes...and just a really tired look?

The symptoms of POIS and sexual exhaustion are very similar...from what I understand sexual exhaustion is caused by neurotransmitter depletion...

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17119 on: 12/08/2012 17:04:22 »
Kurtosis, that sounds very logical.

This kind of plays into my dopamine theory...during sexual arousal the body uses up a lot of dopamine...some of it is converted to norepinephrine (adrenaline). Since the hypothalamus is compromised by an immune reaction (elevated cortisol), the body is unable to replenish dopamine levels and therefore natural adrenaline response is also affected (feeling fatigued).

Have any of you noticed that you look different after "O"...like more pale and swollen eyes...and just a really tired look?

The symptoms of POIS and sexual exhaustion are very similar...from what I understand sexual exhaustion is caused by neurotransmitter depletion...

Yes, I believe POIS is  just a very extreme version of what other people go through.

Offline KOSTAS52

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17120 on: 14/08/2012 05:19:28 »

I have also ADD and after an Air Plane trips I have jet lag too.
I feel very lucky that finally after years of guilt and ignorance I find a label about this condition
I am 36
In my 26 I discovered that I am a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)
In my 30's I discoverd about my ADHD
In my 35 about POIS

JP's PROFILE QUESTION

I agree with JP that if we learn more about each others' shared traits and similarities, we may learn more about POIS contributing factors.

I won't lay out my life story here, but I'll try to check in time to time with tidbits that may be relevant.

I suffer terrible jet lag, almost like POIS. The most disturbing part is an incredibly intense feeling of disorientation, particularly after the return home. Like the proverbial fish out of water. It can last a week on both sides.

Depression and ADD have periodically been problems as I noted earlier.

POIS has ruined a good chunk of my life, either beause of active symptoms or "hanging over my head" like a curse.

Enough for now, thanks

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #17121 on: 15/08/2012 08:03:07 »
It seems my POIS is cured..  Almost 90% of the symptoms gone in just two months of medicine.   

As I posted in my previous post, my doctor has suspected muscle weakness and prescribed Homeopathic medicines. But this not work for me.  and I found that POIS is not due to muscle weakness and I stop this medicine.  then I started for searching effective medicine for allergy. 

By god's grace, my friend suggested me to take Neem Capsules daily one after wakeup.  I took this for two months and my POIS symptoms started declining.    Now even I had two or three o in a day.  I will be affected for very mild POIS symptoms say only 10% of earlier.   Hopefully to clear this 10% in some time by continuing neem capsules. 

Further, this result is constant from the last one month and I followed two weeks rule here. 

Also see the benefits of Neem power capsule for allergy. 
thanks to god once. 

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #17122 on: 15/08/2012 10:20:28 »
Neem may become the first truly effective birth control "pill" for men (Riar, 1988).  Neem leaf tablets ingested for one month produced reversible male antifertility without affecting sperm production or libido (Deshpande, 1980) (Sadre, 1984).  In India and the United States, exploratory trials show neem extracts reduced fertility in male monkeys without inhibiting libido or sperm production (Sharma, et al, 1987).

In a test of neem's birth control effects with members of the Indian Army, daily oral doses of several drops of neem seed oil in gelatin capsules were given to twenty married soldiers. The effect took six weeks to become 100 percent effective, it remained effective during the entire year of the trial and was reversed six weeks after the subjects stopped taking the capsules. During this time the men experienced no adverse side effects and retained their normal capabilities and desires. (Vietmeyer, 1992) There were no pregnancies of any of the wives during the period of the study.

For long term birth control for men it appears that a very minute amount of neem oil injected in the vas deferens provides up to eight months of birth control. The tests revealed no obstructions, no change in testosterone production and no anti-sperm antibodies. The local lymph nodes showed increased ability to respond to infections indicating an immune response may be responsible for the birth control effect in men as it is in women. (Upadhyay, 1993)

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #17123 on: 15/08/2012 14:53:37 »
There are some studies that show that neem bark extract and neem seed oil caused arrest of spermatogenesis within 2 months, with a decrease in the number of Leydig cells (responsible for the manufacturing of testosterone) (Randhawa 1996)

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #17124 on: 15/08/2012 23:36:42 »
There are some studies that show that neem bark extract and neem seed oil caused arrest of spermatogenesis within 2 months, with a decrease in the number of Leydig cells (responsible for the manufacturing of testosterone) (Randhawa 1996)
I never knew this  about neem. Amazing, but what you say..."decrease in the number of Leydig cells", hardly sounds ideal. Okay, I just read leydig cells can regenerate, but it seems with the aid of a drug like HCG.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17124 on: 15/08/2012 23:36:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums