The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6446115 times)

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #17150 on: 23/08/2012 03:23:30 »
Thank you for that information Mermaid! What you said does make a lot of sense. I hope you figure something out tomorrow, and feel better soon! :)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17151 on: 23/08/2012 04:46:45 »
Doesnt everyone know by now this is all about prolactin/dopamine? I am new to this post but I am not sure if that has been mentioned at all in the 709 previous pages but dont people know by now the cause of this illness is hormonal?!

The cause of POIS is most likely due to the surge in prolactin which stays elevated for days post orgasm. Prolactin counters dopamine, which causes tiredness, depression, anxiety, etc. So really, you are dealing with 2 problems. One is the side effects of high prolactin and the other is the side effects of low dopamine. Excess prolactin also can result in higher cortisol, blunted thyroid response, etc! Has no one has figured this out by now on this post?

I am actually a 22 year old female in college and have this so I am seeing a doctor to see about lowering prolactin levels. I didnt start suffering with this until 2 years ago so I am trying to put it all together. I am going to my doctors to see about getting an MRI to see if I have a prolactinoma. It makes sense to me that if I have a prolactinoma (tumour in my pituitary causing increased prolactin) that is already giving me high prolactin levels, then an orgasm, which greatly increases prolactin as well, could tip my system over the edge and just knock all dopamine down to nothing. So, if you have POIS, I suggest you see a doctor who can tell you whether you have high prolactin levels naturally, low dopamine/low testosterone/low progesterone/excess estrogen which all can leave one susceptible to prolactin, or some other condition like hypothyroidism that will make you not be able to tolerate the surge in prolactin post orgasm.

I really feel for you all I know this is super annoying. I didnt start connecting my symptoms to orgasm until recently but since I have stopped ummm...well you know! lol... I feel much better! Of course its just my luck that I had to have an orgasm in my sleep this morning and put me back at square one! UGH!!!!! But I will figure this out I am making an appt with a very good physician tomorrow that my school clinic recommended.

Hope this helps!
<3 :)

Sorry mermaid, this is probably the most obvious and it's probably listed on page 2 of the forums (Lol sorry) but it isn't POIS (I believe).  Don't mean to sound like an a$$ but the prolactin/dopamine response is a normal reaction to sex.  Like I said, I used to be able to O freely, experiencing general tiredness after "O", (sign of prolactin doing its job).  Than when I got hit by a POIS train, like I said before, the post orgasmic feeling is not tiredness.  It's like a terrible migraine, feel like my head is going to explode from inflammation.  Feel completely irritable and imbalanced, my eyes turn bloodshot indicating a sort of reaction, sometimes I get a burning sensation in the groin, feel like I'm going to die from stress that shouldn't be there.  Sex doesn't relieve stress for me if I take no medications/herbs/vitamins before hand, sex is the stressor. 

Maybe it could be like a reaction to something like prolactin.

It's interesting to note though that you are a girl and if you have all of the general POIS symptoms that would be even more interesting.  It's also interesting that I am also 22 and am in college, maybe we could meet and talk about POIS  :P .
« Last Edit: 23/08/2012 04:56:30 by GoingCrazy »

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #17152 on: 23/08/2012 11:02:45 »
Mermaid, Quite a number of us have had our prolactin levels tested, and if it was as straight forward as that we would have wrapped this up. Early on I thought the same. My prolactin levels were normal (I saw the results). If prolactin was the culprit, how does it explain the massive bias for pois condition in males. 
Could you please do me a favour and list your sympoms with a little detail, and how long does it take after an O to get them, and how long before you are back to normal. Does sexual stimulation also result in you feeling worse?

Offline fidalgo

• View Profile
« Reply #17153 on: 23/08/2012 18:12:17 »
Kurtosis, you said that "after several blood tests it's clear that, for whatever reason, my body is constantly fighting some allergy". What blood tests your doctor do?

RAST tests to determine IgE levels. I've had 2 tests done over the past few years and they all come back with elevated IgE levels. I got another one done recently and was told over the phone some of the results were high and to come in and discuss it. I seem to have a lot of strong allergies but they don't check specifically for POIS-related allergens as they don't know what POIS is :)

I had this tests when my POIS starts, 5 years ago, and all of them was normal...

Offline littledragon

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17154 on: 23/08/2012 18:13:39 »
hi all,

here is a little info/update about my P.O.I.S. experience
I have been taking niacin tablets for 3 months now and I can say it really has minimized my P.O.I.S symptoms and I'm feeling like a newborn man
the only most important thing is that I really have to have a FLUSH, otherwise the 'nightmare' will still occur
this happened to me yesterday, when I took my standard 200mg
somehow my body didn't react to it (I think the reason was I didn't drink enough water) and I decided to take another extra 100mg
still nothing happened so I decided to get an 'O' (after 1 hour) because I did not want to take an overdose of niacin
30 minutes later as I went to bed, my P.O.I.S. symptoms came back!
after having a terrible night, without hardly any sleep, a burning feeling and a lot of toilet visits (I always drink a lot of water after my 'O'), I actually felt quite good today
the 300mg niacin did kinda do its job, although it was after the 'O'

so I recommend ALWAYS GET A FLUSH before 'O' and try to urinate afterwards as soon as possible to get a clean valve

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
« Reply #17155 on: 23/08/2012 18:43:34 »
It is my understanding that this is an alergic reaction to semen.  If this is true, why would a woman have the reaction with no  exposure to semen?  Thanks for comments.   Joe L. Ogan 

Offline ophicus1213

• View Profile
« Reply #17156 on: 23/08/2012 20:19:34 »
feature=related

Offline littledragon

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17157 on: 23/08/2012 21:21:38 »
feature=related

thank you for this interesting link!

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
« Reply #17158 on: 23/08/2012 23:09:32 »
It is my understanding that this is an alergic reaction to semen.  If this is true, why would a woman have the reaction with no  exposure to semen?  Thanks for comments.   Joe L. Ogan    Does anyone have an answer to this question?  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline makrofag

• View Profile
« Reply #17159 on: 24/08/2012 07:12:28 »
feature=related

A very very very bad video. What that guy is saying is complete bullshit and he seems to be a fraud as well. People cling to these irrational deficiency stories because it's the most comfortable excuse for their (psychological) problems.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #17160 on: 24/08/2012 16:23:12 »
It is my understanding that this is an alergic reaction to semen.  If this is true, why would a woman have the reaction with no  exposure to semen?  Thanks for comments.   Joe L. Ogan    Does anyone have an answer to this question?  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Because of that and some other reasons a good amount of us are skeptical of immune reaction theory that is why we are pushing for reasearch. 

But if we do find out it is totally because of semen allergy then we have to think of the fluids women also discharge.
Maybe they are also allergic to something in their fluid.  Even for the men we are not sure what specific component we are allergic to.

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
« Reply #17161 on: 24/08/2012 18:15:39 »
Has anyone applied the Scientific method of problem solving to this problem?  If so, I would be very interested in seeing the results.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17162 on: 24/08/2012 23:52:17 »
It is my understanding that this is an alergic reaction to semen.  If this is true, why would a woman have the reaction with no  exposure to semen?  Thanks for comments.   Joe L. Ogan 

I would say most likely the woman does not have POIS.  But it is still possible.  As mermaid posted about a dopamine/prolactin issue, that might be her own issue, or who knows, she could have POIS.  It's already proved by the overwhelming amount of male sufferers that have this issue that it is most likely a reaction to semen.  That is the main difference between male and female, so that is believed to be the culprit.  Although there could be something that we both share, such as a hormone.  Most likely it is still semen/sperm because of the very large ratio of male to female.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17163 on: 24/08/2012 23:54:55 »
hi all,

here is a little info/update about my P.O.I.S. experience
I have been taking niacin tablets for 3 months now and I can say it really has minimized my P.O.I.S symptoms and I'm feeling like a newborn man
the only most important thing is that I really have to have a FLUSH, otherwise the 'nightmare' will still occur
this happened to me yesterday, when I took my standard 200mg
somehow my body didn't react to it (I think the reason was I didn't drink enough water) and I decided to take another extra 100mg
still nothing happened so I decided to get an 'O' (after 1 hour) because I did not want to take an overdose of niacin
30 minutes later as I went to bed, my P.O.I.S. symptoms came back!
after having a terrible night, without hardly any sleep, a burning feeling and a lot of toilet visits (I always drink a lot of water after my 'O'), I actually felt quite good today
the 300mg niacin did kinda do its job, although it was after the 'O'

so I recommend ALWAYS GET A FLUSH before 'O' and try to urinate afterwards as soon as possible to get a clean valve

Having a flush after "O" seems to increase symptoms for me, possibly because of the large amount of prostaglandins that are being released.  Pre-O and then I am fine.

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #17164 on: 25/08/2012 19:31:31 »
I have a question:  was there someone here who complained about getting POIS after having their back "cracked" during a massage session?  I seem to remember reading this somewhere but I can't find it...

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #17165 on: 26/08/2012 09:35:25 »
There was an interesting paper in PNAS this week by Gregg Adams from the University of saskatchewan. He has been looking at semen constituents that can trigger ovulation when injected into certain species.

Specifically, it's known that some animals are reflex ovulators, meaning that they only release an egg when they mate (koalas, camels, llamas and rabbits are examples).

The Canadian team have found that this substance is a nerve growth factor called NGF, the normal role for which is to nourish nerve cells.

But here is where things get interesting. Injecting NGF into llamas' muscles will make them ovulate. And it also works on mice, that are normally spontaneous ovulators, like us.

So the team speculate that, once placed in the female genital tract, NGF present in semen can move, via the bloodstream, to the brain where it affect the hormones that control fertility.

They speculate in the paper that, even though humans are not reflex ovulators, the fact that men still make the substance means that it could be making a contribution to human fertility (and infertility if the male is deficient or the female insensitive to the effect).

One therefore wonders whether the release of NGF from the seminal glands during ejaculation means that it is absorbed into the male circulation too, and whether this might have onward physiological effects?

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/08/15/1206273109

Chris

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17166 on: 26/08/2012 13:19:54 »
There was an interesting paper in PNAS this week by Gregg Adams from the University of saskatchewan. He has been looking at semen constituents that can trigger ovulation when injected into certain species.

Specifically, it's known that some animals are reflex ovulators, meaning that they only release an egg when they mate (koalas, camels, llamas and rabbits are examples).

The Canadian team have found that this substance is a nerve growth factor called NGF, the normal role for which is to nourish nerve cells.

But here is where things get interesting. Injecting NGF into llamas' muscles will make them ovulate. And it also works on mice, that are normally spontaneous ovulators, like us.

So the team speculate that, once placed in the female genital tract, NGF present in semen can move, via the bloodstream, to the brain where it affect the hormones that control fertility.

They speculate in the paper that, even though humans are not reflex ovulators, the fact that men still make the substance means that it could be making a contribution to human fertility (and infertility if the male is deficient or the female insensitive to the effect).

One therefore wonders whether the release of NGF from the seminal glands during ejaculation means that it is absorbed into the male circulation too, and whether this might have onward physiological effects?

Chris

Fascinating. Do you think it might be possible to lose too much NGF via semen or have a mutation? pro-NGF appears to cause nerve apostosis.

A few of us have had MRI's and AFAIK no neurologist has seen lesions so our assumption has been that this is mostly neurochemical.

Offline Redpepper

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17167 on: 26/08/2012 14:17:21 »
Hi.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #17168 on: 27/08/2012 21:56:45 »

Chris

Fascinating. Do you think it might be possible to lose too much NGF via semen or have a mutation? pro-NGF appears to cause nerve apostosis.

A few of us have had MRI's and AFAIK no neurologist has seen lesions so our assumption has been that this is mostly neurochemical.

I was thinking more about the possibility that the NGF, released during ejaculation, might enter the male circulation in some way and that this might cause a physiological effect in males too.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17169 on: 28/08/2012 08:56:29 »

Chris

I was thinking more about the possibility that the NGF, released during ejaculation, might enter the male circulation in some way and that this might cause a physiological effect in males too.

Looks possible. It may happen anyway of course so I wonder what's different about the POIS sufferer?
Interesting to read http://www.farmacol.bs.it/imgCGroup/file/4.pdf
"The ELISA performed in serum obtained from men indicated that NGF concentration was 40.8 10.8 pg/ml, whereas women showed statistically significant lower levels, that were influenced by the menstrual cycle."
and
Taken together, present data point out that serum NGF concentration is sex-related and indicate a possible role of sex steroids as modulators of NGF secretion in humans. Further, these results strongly suggest that NGF is secreted in the bloodstream from the pituitary gland, modulated by a DA-mediated mechanism

as a direct correlation between PRL / Prolactin and NGF secretion is interesting to note. Many of the cognitive symptoms we're suffering from seem to indicate low or volatile dopamine levels around an O.

Offline meteo74

• View Profile
« Reply #17170 on: 28/08/2012 09:17:14 »
If you want to get pois,just try to masturbate, 3 or 4 times a day,then wait for 2 or 3 months and now you are pois man.
you well never get red of pois even you stopped Masturbation.(thats my story)

If you started your emotional life with a woman,then you well stay away of pois Although you do ma. in an Occasional times. that support that hand mas. is different from
coition.
it seems to me we fight some thing destroyed our bodies and fled. so we have nothing to do except reduce some symptoms.

Offline rock27

• View Profile
« Reply #17171 on: 30/08/2012 20:55:53 »
I am really impressed with the medical pioneering many here are doing. But at the same time, dr. Waldinger had a research paper that showed over 80% were positive at an intradermal allergy test. So in my humble opinion, over 80% should pursue desensitization. If slit doesn't work, try scit. Of course you could be the 20%. But be aware that there is also "evidence" that says testosterone and vitamines like b3 suppress allergy symptoms. And supplements can have side-effects, who wants so be on medication or supplements for life?

Offline Omen 30

• View Profile
« Reply #17172 on: 01/09/2012 09:05:06 »
brain fog is become a part of my life...life was always like this but now after knowing that i am suffering thru something i am a lot stressed...

Offline meteo74

• View Profile
« Reply #17173 on: 01/09/2012 13:43:35 »
For me,if I do a massage to my head,then the symptoms in my head well be worse.

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #17174 on: 01/09/2012 17:44:26 »
brain fog is become a part of my life...life was always like this but now after knowing that i am suffering thru something i am a lot stressed...

And stress worsens POIS symptoms, I think this is fact. How much time are you suffering POIS after an O.?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17174 on: 01/09/2012 17:44:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums