The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6439121 times)

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #17300 on: 29/10/2012 17:32:44 »
Hi,

My Testerone results came and it is normal..  And presently I am taking herbal life and POIS is not occuring.  But I came to know that Herbal life which is very rich in protein is dangerous for Liver and Kidney if taken for long time.  Hence as per suggestion of my doctor I required to stop Herbal life diet from tomorrow onwards.  Don't know hos POIS will behave from next orgasm. 

Pl guide whether high protein intake is harm for kidney and liver. 

Offline questforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #17301 on: 29/10/2012 18:34:41 »
Hi Kurtosis, the theory is based around using DMSO as a method of transporting nutrients through the skin.  In my experience it can work as well as IV and there is alot of medical trails documented  on the web that confirm this.  I personally think amino acid deficiency play a huge role in the issues we are facing.  Why that deficiency occurs in the first place is another matter.  But I was interested to know if any one could try this transdermal method of Amino acid supplementation to see if it provides relief to POIS symptoms.  It helps me quite significantly and if it helps others then there could be something there worth delving deeper into.  So I guess its just an experiment if anyone if willing to try.  Its safe and relatively inexpensive.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17302 on: 29/10/2012 19:13:00 »
Hi Kurtosis, the theory is based around using DMSO as a method of transporting nutrients through the skin.  In my experience it can work as well as IV and there is alot of medical trails documented  on the web that confirm this.  I personally think amino acid deficiency play a huge role in the issues we are facing.  Why that deficiency occurs in the first place is another matter.  But I was interested to know if any one could try this transdermal method of Amino acid supplementation to see if it provides relief to POIS symptoms.  It helps me quite significantly and if it helps others then there could be something there worth delving deeper into.  So I guess its just an experiment if anyone if willing to try.  Its safe and relatively inexpensive.

Extracting the energy from food actually requires a healthy metabolism. I think the benefit you're getting may be coming from DMSO as a methyl donor and, yeah, that may work effectively through your skin if your digestive system is weakened.

My own experience is that TMG, MSM and L-methionine all help reduce POIS symptoms. The less fatigued I feel when I have an O, the less symptoms I experience. I'll PM you with the stuff I'm taking.

Offline questforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #17303 on: 29/10/2012 20:01:13 »
Thanks Kurtosis.  Yes I already take MSM and TMG.  With the transdermal method for amino acids, I can feel the effects within minutes.  Incidentally, the articles I have read have been around people with addictions (whether it be alcohol, drugs, chocolate, sex) have found amazing life changed results from IV Amino Acid therapy.  I guess it all makes sense to me, we do not crave the actual thing we are craving for but the chemicals (neurotransmitters) they release.  With a shortage of amino acids in the system, we look for other chemicals that give us this temporary release.  But the problem is we hit an all time low after a few hours when we need a top up of whatever it was that gave us this temporary release.

I think this is highly relevant to POIS as having an O exerts our systems when our chemicals are already in short supply.

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #17304 on: 30/10/2012 01:48:48 »
Thanks Kurtosis.  Yes I already take MSM and TMG.  With the transdermal method for amino acids, I can feel the effects within minutes.  Incidentally, the articles I have read have been around people with addictions (whether it be alcohol, drugs, chocolate, sex) have found amazing life changed results from IV Amino Acid therapy.  I guess it all makes sense to me, we do not crave the actual thing we are craving for but the chemicals (neurotransmitters) they release.  With a shortage of amino acids in the system, we look for other chemicals that give us this temporary release.  But the problem is we hit an all time low after a few hours when we need a top up of whatever it was that gave us this temporary release.

I think this is highly relevant to POIS as having an O exerts our systems when our chemicals are already in short supply.

I would have thought a quality protein source with good bioavailability would be something like Whey Protein Isolate. Using DMSO to get your amminos is a little extreme, when you don't have bowel disease. Hey if it works for you, keep doing it though. I had a 24 hr ammino acid urine test, and results were okay. I do take L-methionine and also Tyrosine. I take also take pea protein powder since I become intolerant to WPI after a little while, and need extra protein since I do weight lifting.

"The less fatigued I feel when I have an O, the less symptoms I experience."....Its the same for me Kurtosis.

"Herbal life which is very rich in protein is dangerous for Liver and Kidney"...I thought Herbal Life is a brand name. What exactly is in it Nathan. Why is it dangerous? Excessive protein will put stress on the kidneys & liver, but I wouldn't have thought you have to worry about stopping it as you are taking it as a supplement, not as extra meals.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #17305 on: 30/10/2012 05:25:08 »

Very very interesting, I had been on benzodiazapenes for a long long time, I just recently went through hell getting off them, and now I think my GABA and Aminos are all screwed up bad..... all this recent talk is starting to finally hit home for my POIS issues.... 

PS.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17306 on: 30/10/2012 10:20:30 »
Hi,

My Testerone results came and it is normal..  And presently I am taking herbal life and POIS is not occuring.  But I came to know that Herbal life which is very rich in protein is dangerous for Liver and Kidney if taken for long time.  Hence as per suggestion of my doctor I required to stop Herbal life diet from tomorrow onwards.  Don't know hos POIS will behave from next orgasm. 

Pl guide whether high protein intake is harm for kidney and liver. 

Not sure what to say here Nathan.
1) You're just taking a whey and soya protein shake, correct?
I know friends who are amateur athletes (soccer, rugby) who have taken these for years with no problems. Maybe if they're taking high glutamate, high creatine shakes there are greater risks but this is just vitamins, soya and whey? What specific ingredient did your doctor believe was dangerous?
The ingredients list is here http://az31823.vo.msecnd.net/content/en-us/pdf/catalog/120424_sku3106_us_label.pdf

2) Saying that food is "rich" is a bit medieval in my opinion. What I mean is,  I have only met one person who claimed to have suffered from gout from eating rich food but it turned out that drinking too much alcohol was the biggest contributor. They were convinced to stop drinking for a while and the problem went away. So drinking this shake alone is unlikely to make anyone sick (unless there's some ingredient in it that I've missed OR they have a preexisting problem with their digestive system, liver or kidneys) but a sedentary lifestyle, unhealthy diet with "fast food", insufficient water and exercise.. All these combined with this shake could make you sick even if you didn't have POIS.

3) We can't give you advice to do ANYTHING that contradicts what your doctor says. If you're not happy with your doctor's advice then get a 2nd opinion from another doctor or find a new doctor.

All anybody here can offer is an opinion.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17307 on: 30/10/2012 10:28:52 »

Very very interesting, I had been on benzodiazapenes for a long long time, I just recently went through hell getting off them, and now I think my GABA and Aminos are all screwed up bad..... all this recent talk is starting to finally hit home for my POIS issues.... 

PS.

Weird. It's odd that you seem to need it transdermally but I've read that a prolonged stress state with high histamine and cortisol wears the body down and it can affect the metabolism such that the body slows down to protect itself, can't digest food properly and just gets progressively weaker. It's a negative feedback loop.

This is one of the reasons I added D-Ribose to my ATP boosting formula. It's very easy to absorb. NADH can be taken sublingually for those that fear their digestive system is impaired (in chronic fatigue for instance). So yeah, I understand how transdermal may be necessary even if it's not my direct experience.

I had never thought of POIS sufferers as chronically fatigued until I started taking NADH and D-Ribose. I felt more energy from the food I was eating and wanted to exercise. I realised that I had not been that interested in strenuous physical activity for a few years despite being a relatively young man. POIS focusses you on the post-O symptoms and you can forget about the other affects on your life. So I'm open to the idea that POIS causes mitochondrial dysfunction, slower metabolism and chronic fatigue.

Offline questforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #17308 on: 30/10/2012 10:48:00 »

PS.
Im not sure why you think having bowel disease is the only reason your body would not get amino's??  The liver plays a crucial part in ensuring your body produces blood protein amongst main other functions.  Transdermal and IV is a way of getting nutrients into your system while bypassing the liver as it goes straight into the blood stream.  Without going too off topic from POIS I do believe that in this day and age our bodies and organs are under alot more stress due to toxins from unnatural food, environmental stress etc.  I think our organs like the liver and kidneys are under alot more stress and and as a result they are not able to forfill their roles naturally and efficiently.  Perhaps this is the 'driver' to most chemical imbalances in the body.  Again going back to my original point with POIS, i think if the body is exerted from an O, it is putting more strain on a system that is unbalanced.    My analogy is that it is like using a turbo on car that has problems with its cooling system where the fans and water circulation system are inefficient.
« Last Edit: 30/10/2012 10:53:24 by questforlife »

Offline questforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #17309 on: 30/10/2012 10:51:18 »
sorry i mean to quote "acronym" 
"I would have thought a quality protein source with good bioavailability would be something like Whey Protein Isolate. Using DMSO to get your amminos is a little extreme, when you don't have bowel disease. Hey if it works for you, keep doing it though. I had a 24 hr ammino acid urine test, and results were okay."

also, im not sure how accurate urine tests are.  If you think about it, its not measuring what your body is storing but more that your body is excreting.  I could be wrong on that, but ive read alot about test that are based on urine and sweat etc.  I think perhaps measuring the blood would give a better understanding about what is being stored

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #17310 on: 30/10/2012 22:05:50 »
Hi Kurtosis, the theory is based around using DMSO as a method of transporting nutrients through the skin.... But I was interested to know if any one could try this transdermal method of Amino acid supplementation to see if it provides relief to POIS symptoms.  It helps me quite significantly and if it helps others then there could be something there worth delving deeper into.  So I guess its just an experiment if anyone if willing to try.  Its safe and relatively inexpensive.

Hey Quest. Youve tried the amino acids orally as well and this helps you more?  If that's the case, i'll give it a try, but only after youve been on it for 4 wks. I dont mind trying stuff if it's been given a good trial run first. Shoot me a pm at 4 wks. Thanks!

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #17311 on: 30/10/2012 22:42:23 »
"Im not sure why you think having bowel disease is the only reason your body would not get amino's??  The liver plays a crucial part in ensuring your body produces blood protein amongst main other functions.  Transdermal and IV is a way of getting nutrients into your system while bypassing the liver as it goes straight into the blood stream. "

Taking pure free form amino acid powder mixed in water/juice then should put very little load on the digestive system. If you have trouble absorbing them this way then if you approached a doctor and asked for IV amino acid therapy, he is going to look at you to see if you are jaundiced or look anorexic/wasted. If your liver function blood test come back fine and you don't have a bowel disorder or chronic diarrhea or liver pain, then he is going to look at you like you have been doing too much googling. I am just going with what conventional medical practice would say. If you only feel benefit from taking aminos transdermally, then go for it. I'm a little intrigued, and would be interested if anyone else does. With dmso at least we can try it at home. Juicing as a substitute for a meal would also help.

Offline Over it

• View Profile
« Reply #17312 on: 31/10/2012 08:38:24 »

Hey Over It, can you keep us posted on the doxycycline, please?  You've only been at it for 3 days, which isn't a long enough test period to draw any conclusions, but it is a promising sign that it's working so far.

Hi B_Daniel,

6th day of taking doxycycline & I dont get "In POIS" symptoms anymore & I haven't been abstaining from orgasm either. I still do have some everyday symptoms such as headache, joint/back pain, burning eyes, however these have decreased by about 75-90%. The brain fog has entirely gone & my body feels alot stronger. I'm thrilled to bits & I feel great. I still have another 7 days on antibiotics to go.

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #17313 on: 01/11/2012 05:37:36 »
Hi,

As I posted earlier, I found a new doctor who has advice me to stop herbal life products as it is harmful to kidney and liver as it contain more chemicals to reduce the weight.  After stopping herbal life, my POIS is back.  Hence he referred me to a nureologist who know the treatment for my problem.   

I consulted the nureologist yesterday and first time in last 7 years I found doctor accepted our problem as physical one and he not referred to psychitists.  He told that our problem is a well defined in our country and he knows the treatment for this and he cured around 100 to 150 patients in our country on this problem.  He told that in our country, for POIS, we call it as Post Coital Illness / Headche syndrome. In our region he told there will be more mental symptoms rather than physical.  POIS and Pcoitial headche / illness is same.  He also told the problem is in Blood vessels and Nerves leading to chemical imbalance at the brain during orgasm.  For this he told it requires 3 to 6 months for complete recovery from this problem.  Presently I am taking medicines as prescribed by him.  Waiting for the result.

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17314 on: 01/11/2012 07:24:36 »
Great news nathan! I'm very excited :D and can't wait to hear your results, so keep us updated on them.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #17315 on: 01/11/2012 07:26:55 »
Thanks Over It. Keep is posted!

Nathan, what country u from? What meds did this doctor prescribe?

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #17316 on: 01/11/2012 21:15:21 »
Hi,

As I posted earlier, I found a new doctor who has advice me to stop herbal life products as it is harmful to kidney and liver as it contain more chemicals to reduce the weight.  After stopping herbal life, my POIS is back.  Hence he referred me to a nureologist who know the treatment for my problem.   

I consulted the nureologist yesterday and first time in last 7 years I found doctor accepted our problem as physical one and he not referred to psychitists.  He told that our problem is a well defined in our country and he knows the treatment for this and he cured around 100 to 150 patients in our country on this problem.  He told that in our country, for POIS, we call it as Post Coital Illness / Headche syndrome. In our region he told there will be more mental symptoms rather than physical.  POIS and Pcoitial headche / illness is same.  He also told the problem is in Blood vessels and Nerves leading to chemical imbalance at the brain during orgasm.  For this he told it requires 3 to 6 months for complete recovery from this problem.  Presently I am taking medicines as prescribed by him.  Waiting for the result.

Hi Nathan, I am glad to read your experiences; where are you from? I have heard before about post- coital headache, but I do not think it is the same illness as POIS, but probably this doctor knows more than me. I hope you get good results, we will be waiting to read more from you, regards!

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #17317 on: 01/11/2012 21:42:18 »
what a great news to know that many people with this condition (perhaps similar as many of us) got cured thanks to a long term treatment ! I am really expecting to know the name of the treatment...?
However, we definitively need serious research to corroborate those theories  :)

Offline maradona

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17318 on: 02/11/2012 00:49:38 »
I found this article fairly useful and explanatory for many hypothesis people here have proposed, after tons of search here n there I found this article to be the most cohesive in regard to relation between thyroid, disabilities, and POIS "Conclusion".

Learning Disabilities in Patients with Autoimmune Thyroid Disease and Their Families

newbielink:http://www.thyroid.ca/e1b.php [nonactive]

I think it summarizes my case with POIS, and other problems.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #17319 on: 02/11/2012 06:20:28 »
Hi,

WOW well thats what it feels like nerves and blood vessels :-)
Can you tell us what medications he prescribes, and why 3-6 months? We all want instant cures.... but 6 months is OK, a lot of us are 10+ years with it!

Thanks!
PS.

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #17320 on: 02/11/2012 16:28:34 »

Hi,

Can you tell us what medications he prescribes, and why 3-6 months? We all want instant cures.... but 6 months is OK, a lot of us are 10+ years with it!

Thanks!
PS.

Hi, I am from India.  Staying in State called Karnataka.  In this state, I lived in one of the middle town city. 

For first 5 years of my POIS I visited the doctor in my town.  After that when the problem increases, I settled in Capital of our State called Bangalore for my job.   In this 2 years, I visited all the major doctors in our city and observed all the doctors are told its in the mind and prescribed SSRI, Sleeping tablets.

Then last week, due to suspect of low Testerone, I met Dean of the Endcology section of one of the Medical College and Hospital in Bangalore.  There he told my problem is Post Coital Illness / Headche Syndrome and he told one of his friend who is a famous Nureologist in this town knows this problem and he solved around 100 to 150 patients of this problem over last 7 years. 

I consulted Nureologist, I explained my symptoms and he at one shot agreed my symtoms and wrote in the patient record as Post Coital Headche / Illness. Then I asked whether it is POIS or Coital Illness.  He told in Asian countries it is called as Post Coital Headche.  He also added that it is one of the rare diseases and in our area the symtoms would be more in mentally rather than physical illness.  Hence they named it as Post Coital Headche. 

Presently he has prescribed me flunarizine dihydrochloride Tablet for one month (daily night 10mg) and he told I require 3 to 6 months for complete recovery from this problem. 

In the mean while, he explained about Post Coital Headche is about Blood Vessels, its expansion during intercourse, then release of chemicals by the nerves leading to Nuero chemical imbalance at the time of orgasm and then there will be a Thunderclap Migraine Attack due to sympathetic nervous system.  I not understand clearly but some how I managed to note down the above words. 

My next meet with him after one month. 

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #17321 on: 02/11/2012 16:36:38 »

Thanks!
PS.

Did he say that you will need to take it the rest of your life?

PS.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #17322 on: 02/11/2012 17:05:11 »
I found this article fairly useful and explanatory for many hypothesis people here have proposed, after tons of search here n there I found this article to be the most cohesive in regard to relation between thyroid, disabilities, and POIS "Conclusion".

Learning Disabilities in Patients with Autoimmune Thyroid Disease and Their Families

http://www.thyroid.ca/e1b.php

Thanks for the 1st post, maradona, and welcome if you're new! 

i read through the article and nothing in it struck a chord with me.  i definitely don't have developmental dyslexia, white spots on the skin, prematurely graying hair, etc. 

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17323 on: 03/11/2012 09:56:49 »
That's really good Nathan.

This might work as it's a calcium channel blocker as well as a H1 anti-histamine.
I'm not sure if it will remove all the bad symptoms of an O but it should certainly reduce some. I don't get many bad headaches so I'm pretty convinced that my cognitive symptoms are primarily to do with the H3 histamine auto-receptors and the histamine released ANYWAY when we have an orgasm. Nothing to do with allergies to sperm, seminal fluid or anything like that.

If it doesn't work then you're on the right path and your doctor may be able to prescribe other histamine reducing / mast-cell stabilising medication. There's lots of recent posts on POISCenter about this.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flunarizine
Flunarizine is a drug classified as a calcium channel blocker. Flunarizine is a non-selective calcium entry blocker with COMBOLMIN binding properties and histamine H1 blocking activity. It is effective in the prophylaxis of migraine, occlusive peripheral vascular disease, vertigo of central and peripheral origin, and as an adjuvant in the therapy of epilepsy. It may help to reduce the severity and duration of attacks of paralysis associated with the more serious form of alternating hemiplegia. Flunarizine has been shown to significantly reduce headache frequency and severity in both adults and children. Flunarizine has some side effects including weight gain, extrapyramidal effects, drowsiness and depression, it is contraindicated in hypotension, heart failure and arrhythmia. Flunarizine use is avoided in patients with depression, severe constipation or those with extrapyramidal disorders. Flunarizine was discovered at Janssen Pharmaceutica in 1968.

Offline maradona

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17324 on: 04/11/2012 12:02:05 »

newbielink:http://www.thyroid.ca/e1b.php [nonactive]

Thanks for the 1st post, maradona, and welcome if you're new! 

i read through the article and nothing in it struck a chord with me.  i definitely don't have developmental dyslexia, white spots on the skin, prematurely graying hair, etc.

Thanks for your attention : ) I've got tested for thyroid anti-bodies, and it returned negative. : P Now I'm confused for the underlying cause of my POIS. If it's autoimmune then what's getting attacked?

Information:
- I'm left handed

I've symptoms of mysterious illness that gets worsen by POIS:

1)Chronic 24/7 lightheadedness (like I'm not in reality) [Worsen without reaching orgasm, and become severe if reached]
2)Chronic dizziness (feeling off balance), very rare vertigo attacks (room spinning, not alleviated by laying down [By laying down headache like state persist, and gets relief by sleep] )
3)Overwhelmed by lights, people [Talking without appropriate thinking specially if information is extracted from memory], driving [Slow in taking action], movement, mental activity [Problem solving n puzzle like activities]
4)Physical activity (working out) makes me feel more lightheaded, more dizzy [ Dreamy state "Day Dreaming"]
5)Exhausted, burning eyes, light sensitivity "Photophobia" [Specially when using computers or cell phones], Drooping eyelid, Visual problems focusing [Specially when reading either a book, or from an screen monitor of any device]
7) Memory problems [Short term specially keeping up with high pace conversations arguing like conversations], and processing speed specially with math, and calculations. [Severe slow down occurs by POIS to a mental retardation level, and very low energy]
8) Depression for prolonged time

Others have it too
newbielink:http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Ear--Nose--Throat/Chronic-Lightheaded-Dizziness-Vertigo-Sensitivity-to-light-and-movement-Vestibular-Rehab/show/1001434 [nonactive]
« Last Edit: 04/11/2012 12:25:22 by maradona »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17324 on: 04/11/2012 12:02:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length