The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6457390 times)

Offline gondal4

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #17350 on: 23/11/2012 16:31:16 »
i dont understand what you people mean by "flush".explain in simple terms

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #17351 on: 24/11/2012 03:45:05 »
i dont understand what you people mean by "flush".explain in simple terms

First of all you get the flush from using niacin and not from pois.

The flush occurs after about 30 mins after using niacin on an empty stomach. the flush involves redding of the skin and very intense itching sensation you would not be able to stop scratching your body for about 30 mins.  And then the sensation subsides.
It is generally considered safe.  Dont be scared of it.
« Last Edit: 24/11/2012 04:03:48 by CertainlyPOIS »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #17352 on: 24/11/2012 03:54:21 »

That is the only way that

Just an update,

It is after 14 days start taking the calcium channel blockers (Flunarizine hydrochloride). I have an o at the 10th day, 11th day, and 14th day (twice).  My all cognitive symptoms such as lack of mental clarity, Stammering, anxiety, difficulty in thinking, burning sensation are reduced extremely and presently running without Herbal life and Neem. Only taking the above medicine.  The only problem remaining is excess dreaming at night and abnormal breathing.

Hence, it is working superbly.  Now my social life has changing, I am calm, cool and started to present papers & seminars in office. My life totally changed.   I met doctor yesterday and he told that it is only 20 to 30% of recovery and it takes around 3 months for complete recovery from this.  But I am in a feeling that I have recovered 70% as my cognitive symptoms disappeared. 

Waiting in next 3 months, how my life will be after complete recovery.

Request you to consult your doctor and as per his guidance take the above mentioned tablet. Its working.  Initially I shared only herbal remedies with temprovery sucess and without scientific reason.  Finally I have shared my success with scientific medicine with reason for clear of POIS. 

My next proposed findings with the help of this forum and my doctor:
a) I want to know how the Testerone replacement theraphy reduce symptoms (cured)for demo and other person in this forum.  (What is the link between TRT and Calcium Channel Blocker)
b) What is the link between Niacin and Calcium Channel Blocker.
c) How Neem has stopped my POIS for 2 months and then how low diet food (without morning breakfast and dinner  and Herbal life) has helped me in some how temprovery blocking of POIS.

Please try this medicine for atleast 20 days (under guidance of doctor) and see the results.   Please don't expect result in first week. 

Hi Natan, I'm taking flunarizine for two day now. Even if I'm taking citalopram since 6 years for anxiety, my doctor don't find any problem for me taking flunarizine. Here in Canada, flunarizine is not use anymore but still available. So, i'll wait ( we'll wait, my wife and me) and I will give news after two weeks.

nice.
« Last Edit: 24/11/2012 04:02:22 by CertainlyPOIS »

Offline JACKMAN

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17353 on: 25/11/2012 01:26:37 »
yo guys, im 21 and i have  symptoms you guys have described.

i feel really weak, agitated and nauseous, also my penis feels tight and my prostrate feels to be fighting the flow of semen, (this could be physical) after ejaculation but for from what ive read i dont suffer as bad as some of you, my symptoms usually last about 15-20mins but in that time i feel like death, so of course has depressed me for a while, and it is quite hard to explain to partners why you cant go through with it avoiding sexual contact altogether,
when i have ejaculated with partners i have felt really cold towards them and do not want to be touched. sometimes i feel that my symptoms dont last long enough for me to worry as much but people dont know how we feel so cant understand.

Offline JACKMAN

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17354 on: 25/11/2012 01:56:14 »

i feel really weak, agitated and nauseous, also my penis feels tight and my prostrate feels to be fighting the flow of semen, (this could be physical) after ejaculation but for from what ive read i dont suffer as bad as some of you, my symptoms usually last about 15-20mins but in that time i feel like death, so of course has depressed me for a while, and it is quite hard to explain to partners why you cant go through with it avoiding sexual contact altogether,
when i have ejaculated with partners i have felt really cold towards them and do not want to be touched. sometimes i feel that my symptoms dont last long enough for me to worry as much but people dont know how we feel so cant understand.
must add that when i have nighttime emissions i dont get any of these symptoms.

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17355 on: 25/11/2012 05:55:36 »

Hey jackman, welcome! Really interesting to hear that your symptoms only last 15-20 minutes.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask one of us and we will try to get your answer for you. :)

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #17356 on: 25/11/2012 12:25:08 »
If POIS is a histamine problem I wonder if it might be possible to take an anti-histaime some time before and perhaps after sex to prevent the symptoms, without being on it full time. Has anyone experimented with anti-histamines besides nathan? I know the histamine theory has been kicked around for years, GoingCrazey had some success with Clairitin. Has anyone else benefited from anti-histamines besides Nathan and GC?

Offline Over it

• View Profile
« Reply #17357 on: 26/11/2012 07:45:02 »
Surprise, surprise, the Doxycycline has not cured me. But the relief it gave me from symptoms was very real, until I copped a severe bout of POIS before I had even finished the second and final week of my perscription (go figure). I am very eager to hear more from user Coreman, particularily so after coming across a breif discussion about sustained, elevated prolactin levels in a post by user Mellivora in 2007 (see page 2 of this thread).

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #17358 on: 26/11/2012 21:05:24 »
If POIS is a histamine problem I wonder if it might be possible to take an anti-histaime some time before and perhaps after sex to prevent the symptoms, without being on it full time. Has anyone experimented with anti-histamines besides nathan? I know the histamine theory has been kicked around for years, GoingCrazey had some success with Clairitin. Has anyone else benefited from anti-histamines besides Nathan and GC?

If you are going by kurtosis theory then normal antihistamines would not be enough because they dont cross BBB well and dont go after the histamine3 receptors which are connected to cognition problems.
You can try his proposed combination to deactivate histamine by increasing methylation.

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #17359 on: 27/11/2012 20:42:27 »

If you are going by kurtosis theory then normal antihistamines would not be enough because they dont cross BBB well and dont go after the histamine3 receptors which are connected to cognition problems.
You can try his proposed combination to deactivate histamine by increasing methylation.
Its possible the methylation cylcle in us is not normal. It would be great if we could all do gene testing for this, but it is not cheap.
Here are a couple of links for those interested in methylation that may see something interesting in relation to their health. I know it was interesting for me because a number of liver supps and methylation supps I have taken have made me worse over the years. It can explain why for some of us why diet changes play a role in feeling better...but its tricky to 2nd guess.

http://www.mthfrsupport.com/1/post/2012/05/other-gene-mutations-that-must-be-addressed-before-starting-an-mthfr-protocol.html
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm
« Last Edit: 27/11/2012 20:50:18 by acronym »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17360 on: 28/11/2012 03:39:39 »

Yes, claritin did help me, I was definitely better taking claritin than nothing at all.  When I took claritin most and sometimes all of the mental symptoms were gone, but they were delayed for about a day, but that makes sense because I took a claritin 24hr.  So even after orgasm, and taking an antihistamine, the reaction still was occurring but I wouldn't feel it, and when the claritin stopped working I felt it.

I also wanted to note that after taking a heavy dose of aspirin for POIS I've had one of the worst episodes to date.  It is now day 4 and I still feel like I am in day 1, although it did offer relief when I first took it.  Aspirin's blood-thinning affect can last for a long time.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17361 on: 28/11/2012 03:49:26 »
I was also thinking about trying a "mast cell stabilizer" it prevents histamine, prostaglandins and leukotrienes from being released by mast cells, instead of just an antihistamine.  Here is a link I found.

http://www.urticare.com/Treatments/Mast+Cell+Stabilisers.html

Imagine if the same applied to POIS; "An additional feature that has been noticed with Ketotifen is that in the vast majority of patients who have become asymptomatic on Ketotifen if the medication is continued for some 4 months or so, a significant proportion of patients remain well after that without any further treatment being required."

Tell me what you guys think.  I did notice they have some side effects, but I may still give them a try.

On second note after researching them some more they do seem a little extreme, for ketotifen you have to be on it for some months for it to work, it's also used for asthma patients.
« Last Edit: 28/11/2012 04:17:46 by GoingCrazy »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17362 on: 28/11/2012 04:16:54 »
When it comes down to it, that's what I believe my POIS is.  A combination of histamine, prostaglandins and Leukotrienes working on my brain in response to orgasm.  That's probably why antihistamines make me feel better, but not 100% because there is still prostaglandins and leukotrienes that cause a reaction.  The only bad thing about taking medication to help it is they are used by your body in other processes, unrelated to POIS, and also used in the brain for other purposes.  We need to do some more research on these things. I'd like to find possible medication for all or seperate medications for each.

The only thing that confuses me is after I've been celibate for a while I kind of get irritable, but that can be due to lack of release correct?

And also, I'd like to comment on a possible remedy during POIS.  It is one a day vitacraves gummies + immunity support.  One possible reason it helps is because of its selenium content.  It definitely puts me into a better mood.
« Last Edit: 28/11/2012 04:26:34 by GoingCrazy »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17363 on: 28/11/2012 12:27:32 »
When it comes down to it, that's what I believe my POIS is.  A combination of histamine, prostaglandins and Leukotrienes working on my brain in response to orgasm.  That's probably why antihistamines make me feel better, but not 100% because there is still prostaglandins and leukotrienes that cause a reaction.  The only bad thing about taking medication to help it is they are used by your body in other processes, unrelated to POIS, and also used in the brain for other purposes.  We need to do some more research on these things. I'd like to find possible medication for all or seperate medications for each.

The only thing that confuses me is after I've been celibate for a while I kind of get irritable, but that can be due to lack of release correct?

And also, I'd like to comment on a possible remedy during POIS.  It is one a day vitacraves gummies + immunity support.  One possible reason it helps is because of its selenium content.  It definitely puts me into a better mood.

I'm getting the genetic testing done. I have to know for definite which genes are mutated so I can come up with a methylation treatment that works with me. There's so much stuff to factor in. COMT, HNMT, MTHFR, MTR, BHMT, DAO etc. I don't think there are silver bullets but I do believe that something like ketitofen may help. Prostaglandin and histamine are released from mast cells so a mast cell stabiliser seems a good starting point for any treatment.

It all depends whether the POIS is caused by an inability to restore homeostasis after an O which may be obvious from looking at genes controlling deactivation of histamine via methylation (for instance) OR whether we simply have too many mast cells (some form of mastocytosis). I don't know but I want to know as much about my own DNA to help answer the question!

Clarityn D worked for my worst POIS and I believe it's the combination of anti-histamine and pseudoephedrine that yielded those results.

Offline nomore2013

• View Profile
« Reply #17364 on: 28/11/2012 17:10:41 »
i took claritin-d 3 times already, and every time it worked.

Offline nomore2013

• View Profile
« Reply #17365 on: 28/11/2012 17:56:13 »
claritin-d, contains loratadine and pseudoephedrine. pseudoephedrine acts as a vasoconstrictor, which is weird, because i thought we were supposed to be looking for vasodillators like b3-niacin, niacinimide.

can you take pseudoephedrine and niacinimide at the same time?

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17366 on: 28/11/2012 19:12:28 »
I had some temporary success with loratadine (claritin), but then my symptoms kicked in big time next day. I haven't tried claritin-d yet.
Pseudoephedrine acts like a stimulant, and I know that caffeinated soft drinks like colas seem to help me a lot. I want to give claritin-d a try.

Last month I abstained for about 2 weeks and seemed to feel somewhat better, but I'm still very inconclusive about whether abstaining for a long time actually clears my symptoms up, which bothers me. I remember hearing that some sufferers had to wait over a month or 2 before starting to feel normal again. I want to abstain while trying all these remedies for as long as possible (for months hopefully), and if I STILL have pois symptoms after all that, well then that would suck.  :\

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17367 on: 28/11/2012 19:58:01 »
I had some temporary success with loratadine (claritin), but then my symptoms kicked in big time next day. I haven't tried claritin-d yet.
Pseudoephedrine acts like a stimulant, and I know that caffeinated soft drinks like colas seem to help me a lot. I want to give claritin-d a try.

Last month I abstained for about 2 weeks and seemed to feel somewhat better, but I'm still very inconclusive about whether abstaining for a long time actually clears my symptoms up, which bothers me. I remember hearing that some sufferers had to wait over a month or 2 before starting to feel normal again. I want to abstain while trying all these remedies for as long as possible (for months hopefully), and if I STILL have pois symptoms after all that, well then that would suck.  :\

Clarityn D isn't a long term treatment I'm afraid. My doctor advised against me taking it much but I have chronic sinus problems that go with my POIS and it has a decongestant effect.

Pseudoephedrine is a stimulant which encourages the body to produce adrenaline / epinephrine. This reduces the level of histamine, similar to the way getting an epi-pen injection counteracts a severe allergic reaction.
You're basically shocking your system out of the POIS state. Yeah, it works but, as I said, I can't see this being a long term solution but it does feel a lot better than POIS :)

Good to know it works though, especially if you have an NE before an important meeting or exam. For some people the natural mast cell stabiliser Quercetin might work great. It's a mild COMT inhibitor however, so if someone had a COMT issue (one or 2 mutations of the COMT gene) then it would inhibit and already slow catecholamine clearing mechanism. This would be really bad to combine with something like a dopamine or norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. It may cause mania. DO NOT DO IT.

If you're not taking that kind of anti-depressant then you could give it a go. The other option it ketotifen. It might be a h1 antihistamine but it's the mast cell stabilisation you want most.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketotifen
Again, this is something your doctors could prescribe.
Like I've said, I think most of the symptoms are caused by inflammation mediated by mast cell release. Most of it histamine. You can clear histamine by increasing methylation (which may actually improve the POIS sufferers quality of life in every way if they have a specific methylation genetic problem) or improving mast cell stability via quercetin, ketotifen, cromolyn etc.

It all depends on genetics, the other drugs or supplements the person is taking, severity of POIS etc.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17368 on: 29/11/2012 03:36:19 »

I think the time I feel the best is the time furthest from my last "O" and that I still don't feel sexually frustrated. 

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17369 on: 29/11/2012 03:37:56 »
claritin-d, contains loratadine and pseudoephedrine. pseudoephedrine acts as a vasoconstrictor, which is weird, because i thought we were supposed to be looking for vasodillators like b3-niacin, niacinimide.

can you take pseudoephedrine and niacinimide at the same time?

I'm not so sure about the vasodilating/vasoconstricting effect, but more on its effect on histamine and other inflammatories.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #17370 on: 29/11/2012 03:45:14 »
Kurtosis, can you take claritin-D and still fall asleep after?  I know you mentioned the pseudoephedrine as a stimulant.  I guess I haven't tried that either, I tried the claritin 24 hour, and like Prancer said you sometimes feel it the next day.  Do you get the same reaction of feeling POIS the next day?

And... on a last note... Does anybody experience sleeping problems like I do?  I would like to know if it is related to POIS or not, or maybe it's just me being anxious because of this condition.
« Last Edit: 29/11/2012 03:51:12 by GoingCrazy »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #17371 on: 29/11/2012 10:50:17 »
Kurtosis, can you take claritin-D and still fall asleep after?  I know you mentioned the pseudoephedrine as a stimulant.  I guess I haven't tried that either, I tried the claritin 24 hour, and like Prancer said you sometimes feel it the next day.  Do you get the same reaction of feeling POIS the next day?

And... on a last note... Does anybody experience sleeping problems like I do?  I would like to know if it is related to POIS or not, or maybe it's just me being anxious because of this condition.

I have had insomnia for many years, maybe around 12 years now. It is sleep maintenance insomnia where I wake in the middle of the night and sometimes have difficulty getting back to sleep. Stress is a definite contributor, if not the sole reason. What form of insomnia do you have GC?

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17372 on: 29/11/2012 12:38:45 »

Yeah, I can still sleep but I find I can sleep through most things. My biggest problem with sleeping is the amount of mucous I produce which sometimes makes me snore so loudly I wake myself up. Quercetin reduced this in the past. Sometimes if I eat 2 apples, it has a similar effect and I think that's because there's quercetin in them.
Interesting open journal article on quercetin here. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0033805

Had 2 O's yesterday and feel pretty good. I didn't take anything after them. I just woke up, had my NADH and some fish oil (stuff gives me no fishy burps and no stomach pain unlike some products).
I've a bit of a cold which seems like an actual cold as opposed to POIS but apart from that, pretty good.

Offline JACKMAN

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17373 on: 30/11/2012 17:07:23 »
i read something today about mens virility today, and it said how not ejacualting when you should be, when you should be reaching climax is shocking your system and messing up your nervous system which in can turn make you impotent or far less virile. so i experienced that recently with a woman, and it hasnt happened before to me, so im guessing i should just go through with it and it would help in the future or is my POIS due to me not always climaxing when i should of done, and my body inturn reacting like this when i do climax. it all could be complete nonsense.

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17374 on: 01/12/2012 20:54:29 »

For me, I don't have any problem staying asleep, but I go to bed very late, like 1 or 2 am. I'm usually very tired in the morning because of the late bedtime but I believe mainly because of pois.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17374 on: 01/12/2012 20:54:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums