The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6451032 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #1750 on: 28/10/2008 21:05:51 »
You're right, girlwind, there is a risk in disclosing to certain people. The one I discussed above was an old friend and we renewed our acquaintance recently.

Longwalkhome and Girlwind, in my posts about disclosing POIS, I wasn't really thinking clearly beyond my situation this morning with my friend. Because it was and is still very fresh in my mind. So thanks for a better answer to Longwalkhome by broadening the discussion, Girlwind.

« Last Edit: 28/10/2008 22:35:00 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: 28/10/2008 21:16:54 »
Wow, this cortisol peak does make sense. I am taking herbs to increase kidney yang (TCM; corresponds somehow with cortisol I was told), but in the 2 days following orgasm I don't need them physically, and then for a few days days after that I need much of it, my body just keeps asking. It's just like at first cortisol is in overdrive and then depleted.

Anyway I am preparing full conclusive blood tests, so I'll post them when it's done. I am trying to get before the event,  5 minutes after the event (AE), and 2 more sometime AE.

Wow, Rock, 3 tests. Sounds great. Looking forward to seeing those results!

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: 28/10/2008 22:19:11 »
I've created a quick survey geared towards the pituitary hormones that will very roughly measure hormone levels.  Maybe if all our results are the same we can conclude a certain trend of hormone production or reduction that occurs during POIS.  Refer to POIS symptoms where applicable.  I'll complete the test.  If you feel comfortable enough feel free to answer the questions.

General Pituitary Test:

GH (Growth hormone) - height/size: Is your height above or below average? Below, 5'7

Prolactin - Libido: Do you have a high or low sex drive during heavy POIS symptoms? Low

ACTH (Adrenocorticotropin) - Stress: Is your level of stress high or low during intense POIS? High

TSH (Thyroid-stimulating hormone) - energy: Is your energy level high or low during POIS? Your weight? Low and low, 130lbs

LH (Luteinizing hormone) - If your female, is your period cycle regular? (Males are difficult to measure)

ADH (Antidiuretic hormone) - carbs: do carbohydrates or alcohol impact your thought process during POIS? Yes

FSH (Follicle-stimulating hormone) - Kids: Do you have kids (if you were trying): NA, wasn't trying

How long does your POIS symptoms last after release? 5 days

Like I said, some of the answers are black/white and difficult to measure.  If you have suggestions to better measure certain hormones, let me know.  Thank you in advance.

Reference: http://www.hormone.org/pituitary_gland.cfm
« Last Edit: 28/10/2008 22:24:56 by Limejuice »

Offline tarkington

• View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: 29/10/2008 01:18:25 »
General Pituitary Test:

GH (Growth hormone) - height/size: Is your height above or below average? 5'10

Prolactin - Libido: Do you have a high or low sex drive during heavy POIS symptoms? Low

ACTH (Adrenocorticotropin) - Stress: Is your level of stress high or low during intense POIS? High

TSH (Thyroid-stimulating hormone) - energy: Is your energy level high or low during POIS? Your weight? Low and 150lbs

LH (Luteinizing hormone) - If your female, is your period cycle regular? (Males are difficult to measure)

ADH (Antidiuretic hormone) - carbs: do carbohydrates or alcohol impact your thought process during POIS? NA

FSH (Follicle-stimulating hormone) - Kids: Do you have kids (if you were trying): NA

How long does your POIS symptoms last after release? 3 days

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: 29/10/2008 06:01:04 »
General Pituitary Test:

GH (Growth hormone) - height/size: Is your height above or below average? 5'11

Prolactin - Libido: Do you have a high or low sex drive during heavy POIS symptoms? Low at first but high around the 2nd day.

TSH (Thyroid-stimulating hormone) - energy: Is your energy level high or low during POIS? Low Your weight? Low and low, 260lbs

LH (Luteinizing hormone) - If your female, is your period cycle regular? (Males are difficult to measure)NA Male

ADH (Antidiuretic hormone) - carbs: do carbohydrates or alcohol impact your thought process during POIS? No on Carbs. Don't drink

FSH (Follicle-stimulating hormone) - Kids: Do you have kids (if you were trying): NA, wasn't trying

How long does your POIS symptoms last after release? Initial symptons 2days -week
Secondary( muscle stiffness)ongoing[/quote]

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: 29/10/2008 15:01:01 »
General Pituitary Test:

GH (Growth hormone) - height/size: Is your height above or below average? Below, 5'7"

Prolactin - Libido: Do you have a high or low sex drive during heavy POIS symptoms? zero

TSH (Thyroid-stimulating hormone) - energy: Is your energy level high or low during POIS? Your weight? Low , 175lbs

ADH (Antidiuretic hormone) - carbs: do carbohydrates or alcohol impact your thought process during POIS? No

FSH (Follicle-stimulating hormone) - Kids: Do you have kids (if you were trying): yes

How long does your POIS symptoms last after release? 4 days

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: 29/10/2008 16:36:33 »
General Pituitary Test:

GH (Growth hormone) - height/size: Is your height above or below average? A little above, 5'7"

Prolactin - Libido: Do you have a high or low sex drive during heavy POIS symptoms? low

ACTH (Adrenocorticotropin) - Stress: Is your level of stress high or low during intense POIS?  high

TSH (Thyroid-stimulating hormone) - energy: Is your energy level high or low during POIS? Your weight? low, 122 lbs

LH (Luteinizing hormone) - If your female, is your period cycle regular? becoming more irregular

ADH (Antidiuretic hormone) - carbs: do carbohydrates or alcohol impact your thought process during POIS? avoid most carbs

FSH (Follicle-stimulating hormone) - Kids: Do you have kids (if you were trying): no, chose not to

How long does your POIS symptoms last after release? 1-2 days, has been better lately

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: 29/10/2008 17:23:04 »

« Last Edit: 29/10/2008 17:30:49 by demografx »

Offline msl

• View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: 29/10/2008 17:38:26 »
Hi people, I went along to my university health coordinator and she was very sympathetic and supportive with our cause =) She said she is going to contact some neurologists in oxford/at oxford (cant remember which:P) she had a special name for the institute, but i cant remember. She said hopefully because it is coming from her they will have the courtesy to reply shedding what knowledge they have. Also she suggested that I try and find a neurologist, because she definately thinks its something physiological rathern than psychological, and run tests to see what actual changes are in the brain. This would mean masturbating for the process of the test. Has anybody done anything like this before? Im will to give it a go i think, but admittadly we were both in agreement that finding a neurologist will be difficult, but she said it can and should be done. She wondered if it might be a form of epilepsy?

Offline Chewbacca

• View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: 29/10/2008 17:52:31 »
So I've recently stopped taking fenugreek until I can determine how it effects estrogen and breast tissue development. I haven't grown tits just yet:) but I was reading about a guy who had an increase in breast size from taking fenugreek for fifteen weeks straight. This is a lot of fenugreek, and probably more than any of us would take, but I still want to know more about fenugreek before I continue taking more of it. I'm not worried of toxicity as it is a safe herb to take...just unwanted side effects.

Though...let me be clear.... I think it is an awesome product and does have huge potential for POIS. I tried a few different kinds such as solar ray and solgar. Solgar is by far superior. I believe the success some people have had and the lack there of for others is a result of varying potency caused by differences in the kind of brand people use. I noticed that it inceased my ability to relate to people, lessend social anxiety, and generally had a positive effect. I didn't get to try it out on my POIS just yet be causes I'm still recovering from the last bout.

I think the best way to apply fenugreek and minimize any unwanted developments(if indeed it is a concern) is to take it as needed for your POIS. Day of, and day after.

I want to (and I would invite others) to investigate 1) Cases studies of men taking fenugreek 2) Estrogenic effects of fenugreek 3)How oxytocin effects estrogen and breast development 4) Other herbal oxytocin synergists that alleviate POIS symptoms and don't develop breast tissue! What good does it do you to have your POIS cured if you grow boobs? Female members and viewers excluded of course.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: 29/10/2008 20:24:13 »
Hi people, I went along to my university health coordinator and she was very sympathetic and supportive with our cause =) She said she is going to contact some neurologists in oxford/at oxford (cant remember which:P) she had a special name for the institute, but i cant remember. She said hopefully because it is coming from her they will have the courtesy to reply shedding what knowledge they have. Also she suggested that I try and find a neurologist, because she definately thinks its something physiological rathern than psychological, and run tests to see what actual changes are in the brain. This would mean masturbating for the process of the test. Has anybody done anything like this before? Im will to give it a go i think, but admittadly we were both in agreement that finding a neurologist will be difficult, but she said it can and should be done. She wondered if it might be a form of epilepsy?

Rapidgaming, thank you for this. You opened another door!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: 29/10/2008 20:30:22 »
An old school buddy was one of the first scientists(1980) to study HIV-1 protease (for AIDS). I sent him an email, hoping to get his thoughts on how our forum can be aided by the scientific community.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: 29/10/2008 20:34:12 »
Thanks, Chewbacca, for continuing to help unravel the mystery of fenugreek!

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: 30/10/2008 02:05:15 »
I started taking Fenugreek(Nature's Answer)1200-1800mg daily.
Maca root extract(750mg daily)
Horney Goat Weed(1200 mg daily) 
yohimbe
60 mg DHEA
In addition to previously taking:
Restore(garden of Life) enzyme blend(bromeline Protease and Papain) 6 capsules /day
1200 mg  phenylanine
exotic and berry fruit juice blends.

Began on Saturday.  Noticed immediate results.  Neck and upper back muscles began to loosen in 3 days as much as it would take months with prescription strength drugs. Also had so little fatigue that I ended up on the internet through early morning hours.  Usually I doze off hours earlier.
Not sure of what combination causing it or all together. I may have to work backwards to find out.
I haven't tried the ultimate "test' yet. I am trying to feel as healthy as possible first.
I haven't experienced any side effects(THAT IS ME). 
Also , despite the large amont of aphrodisiacs There has not been any change in libido but I haven't been looking for any stimulus either. 
I have been diagnosed with CFS or Fibromyalgia in the past.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: 30/10/2008 02:26:35 »
...I have been diagnosed with CFS or Fibromyalgia in the past.

I guess I was wrong when I didn't think that there was any link between CFS and POIS. Several people here have been diagnosed with CFS!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: 30/10/2008 13:07:41 »
B_Jim, it is good that the flu-like symptoms are gone!

Is 30 hours the average time for POIS to end?

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: 30/10/2008 15:39:45 »
And if you are taking dhea, i will advise you slow it down because it will definately cause testcles shrinkage, I have had to stop taking it because of that.   and i only took about 25-50mg a week.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: 30/10/2008 17:28:14 »
No it was just to clarify the time when i was writing. Now the Pois has been reduces to less than 24 hours. It's a real improvement.  I have stopped fenugreek seed. I will maybe retry with fenugreek supplement later.

B_Jim, is most of your POIS-time reduction improvement from protein and cutting out sugar and carbs?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: 30/10/2008 17:31:54 »
Girlwind, thanks for the ZRT info again. Too much data flying around here, though, I can't recall what thyroid tests I should ask my GP to request from ZRT. Can you please say again? Many thanks.

My GP is an HMO, should I be prepared for resistance? If the GP has a lab that does thyroid testing should I just go with that?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: 30/10/2008 17:47:33 »
...I was also wondering is Relora still supported as help in reducting symptoms and has any body else tried it. 
I bought some and i will be posting it effects on me.

Please note the post about interaction effects with Relora Post#202205
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg202205

for other Relora posts:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=relora+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.thenakedscientists.com%2F

I look forward to seeing your future post!
« Last Edit: 30/10/2008 18:02:56 by demografx »

Offline imre1

• View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: 30/10/2008 18:37:16 »
How do you explain your condition to your family and co-workers? For me it would be just too big an embarassment to tell them the truth ...

When I finaly told my parents it felled a lot like being gay. I especially remember thinking that this is what it must be like to be gay.

In the end we just sit around the table and i told them. They were very surprised but they did take it well. These days i don't hide it from anyone anymore.

I think you could find a lot of emotional help if you treat it like what gays call "coming out". There are a lot of stories about how people handle that.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: 30/10/2008 18:58:52 »
Girlwind, thanks for the ZRT info again. Too much data flying around here, though, I can't recall what thyroid tests I should ask my GP to request from ZRT. Can you please say again? Many thanks.

My GP is an HMO, should I be prepared for resistance? If the GP has a lab that does thyroid testing should I just go with that?

If I were you, I would NOT go through a GP. I would use an alternative health care practitioner like a chiropractor or
acupuncturist. Most doctors are TOTALLY CLUELESS about thyroid tests. (I don't have time to go into the details of this
yet again, so you can refer to past postings or read this article by Mercola.) http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/mercola.htm

Through ZRT, I did the entire Comprehensive Female Profile I. (Equivalent is the Comprehensive Male Profile I.)
"Assesses gonadal, adrenal, and thyroid hormones. Includes saliva: E2, T, DS, Diurnal 4x Cortisol; and blood spot:
PSA, TSH, fT3, fT4, TPO."
  (As you can see, this is NOT just thyroid. and includes other hormones too.)

If you want JUST THYROID, you should do Free T3, Free T4, TSH and TPO. BY EXACTLY  THOSE NAMES. There
are other more commonly used thyroid tests that are virtually USELESS. If your GP resists, then order the tests yourself
through My Med Lab.com  https://www.mymedlab.com/

« Last Edit: 30/10/2008 20:24:13 by girlwind »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: 30/10/2008 21:03:42 »
Girlwind, thank you, VERY helpful! Sorry I made you repeat things, I have *CRS.

*Can't Remember Sh**

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: 30/10/2008 21:50:08 »
According to this article, maybe you should also take an adrenal test with a thyroid test.
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/endocrinology/a/adrenalfatigue_2.htm

It's incredible how the symptoms mentionned in this page are identical to pois.

Also in the second page of the article they have interesting suggestions, including the following :
-low-dose hydrocortisone
-avoid stimulants
-low sugar diet
-siberian ginseng
-astragalus
-fo-ti root
-triphala
-black cohosh
-chamomile
-lemon balm (melissa) (also it has an antiviral effect)

Since a few days of pois I'm taking lemon balm. Perhaps my error was to take this in the morning the first day and I started to sleep in the afternoon. Then I couldn't sleep at night.
Also my appetite was increased with this herb, I find this positive because it's a sign that digestion is improved . Melissa promotes assimilation of nutrients.
If taken only before going to bed, my sleep is 40% more refreshing and I was able to do more things than usual during the day.
Note that I'm far to be cured but I'll continue with this herb. Only one problem, I hope I'll be able to sleep without it when I'll stop.
« Last Edit: 30/10/2008 21:56:21 by martin88 »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: 30/10/2008 22:06:32 »
Chewbacca,
So I've recently stopped taking fenugreek until I can determine how it effects estrogen and breast tissue development. I haven't grown tits just yet:) but I was reading about a guy who had an increase in breast size from taking fenugreek for fifteen weeks straight. This is a lot of fenugreek, and probably more than any of us would take, but I still want to know more about fenugreek before I continue taking more of it. I'm not worried of toxicity as it is a safe herb to take...just unwanted side effects.

Do you have a link to the report on male breast size enlargement due to fenugreek? To me even the claims of enhancing female breast size with it sound like a sales gimmick to sell supplements. I understand it has a definite effect on lactating women but it strikes me as doubtful that it increases breast size in non-lactating women, and even more so for men. After all, it is a common ingredient in Indian recipes. I would think that if it actually worked it would be very well known and used by small breasted women everywhere, and silicon breast implants wouldn't have as much allure.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1774 on: 30/10/2008 22:06:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums