The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6462594 times)

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #17500 on: 04/01/2013 20:55:34 »
Vincent M, it is quite strange that you talk about  survival,  yet you need to procreate once a day ))
If you have masturbation addiction, then this is  your problem, if not I dont see a problem  staying away from sex.
If niacin  helps you  then most likely you are  over methylated

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #17501 on: 04/01/2013 21:55:06 »
Hi, everyone a short update on me:  after having developed a rash on my scrotum 2 months ago, and embarking on a diet aimed at eliminating candida from my system, I have experienced some good results. 

I have been able to think more rationally and compose more logical statements than I usually do.  I can't say that the feeling of brain fog goes away, so my attention is still rather bad.  But I noticed a marked improvement in my ability to express myself and find the words I need.  I typically have a log-jam of vocabulary all wanting to be used. But during the various holiday parties I attended with no shortage of well-spoken people with masters and doctorate degrees, I found it especially easy to say what I wanted!  Felt nostalgic for times when I have been that high functioning :)

My rash still remains though.  I see a dermatologist next month.  I have a strong suspicion it is what is called an intertrigo, of the candidal variety.  The rash itself isn't too terrible to deal with, but I need to deal with it sooner than later.

The diet I've been on has also included taking supplements to eliminate the candida, namely natural anti-fungals and probiotics.  For the first month I was quite sick, dealing with the Herx reaction or "die off" where you feel worse before better.  I backed off the treatments during the holidays so that I could survive the germ sharing that would go on with my relatives around.  I'm back to taking them, and I see myself staying on this program for another month at least.  I think I will be taking probiotics for some time afterwards to make sure I keep my gut healthly.

In short, this experiment has made it easier to cope with my POIS symptoms, as I feel like a healthier, happier person overall.
I am pretty experienced at this program by now, so if anyone wants to know more about it I'd be happy to answer questions. 
« Last Edit: 04/01/2013 21:56:40 by Nightingale »

Offline nomore2013

• View Profile
« Reply #17502 on: 04/01/2013 22:11:45 »
amy says that "manganase and copper regulate MAO-A" [58min]

amy talks about quercetin and says "copper inhibits CBS activity" [22min]

Offline Chaos

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17503 on: 05/01/2013 04:36:00 »
Hi, My name is sohail. i'm a 21 years old male and i'm from Iran. Now it's about a year that i've understood i have POIS.That was totally by chance after searching google "depression after sex" and reading an article about POIS in mighty wikipedia. I'm so happy i found that i'm sick. I believe this sickness badly affected all dimentions of my life.

After a little search i understood (i'm totally sure) my pois is an autoimmune reaction toward my own semen. my immune system recognise my semen(after ejaculation) as an enemy and releases histamine and all the disaster starts. Once i ate my own semen and i got sick! Therefore i try to reach orgasm without ejaculation. Sometimes i'm unable to control my orgasms and i ejaculate. I've learned i should take loratadine 2 hours before orgasm(the key factor is before orgasm); But since i'm unable to plan my ejaculations,  i take loratadine minutes after orgasm and it steal works with 50% power.
antihistamines work greatly in my case(loratadine and diphenhydramine for sleep).
loratadine works on h1 receptors. it improves 100% bodily symptoms and 50% of psycological ones for me specially if i take it 2 hours before ejaculation.
mechanism of disease:
when semen enters the urethra, immune system releases histamine.
Histamine exerts its actions by combining with specific cellular histamine receptors. The four histamine receptors that have been discovered in humans and animals are designated H1 through H4, and are all G protein-coupled receptors (GPCR).

Type   Location   Function
H1 histamine receptor   Found on smooth muscle, endothelium, and central nervous system tissue   Causes, bronchoconstriction, bronchial smooth muscle contraction, vasodilation, separation of endothelial cells (responsible for hives), and pain and itching due to insect stings; the primary receptors involved in allergic rhinitis symptoms and motion sickness; sleep and appetite suppression.
H2 histamine receptor   Located on parietal cells and vascular smooth muscle cells   Primarily involved in vasodilation. Also stimulate gastric acid secretion
H3 histamine receptor   Found on central nervous system and to a lesser extent peripheral nervous system tissue   Decreased neurotransmitter release: histamine, acetylcholine, norepinephrine, serotonin
H4 histamine receptor   Found primarily in the basophils and in the bone marrow. It is also found on thymus, small intestine, spleen, and colon.   Plays a role in chemotaxis.

newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine#Mechanism_of_action [nonactive]

Decreased neurotransmitter release: histamine, acetylcholine, norepinephrine, serotonin

this is the reason of psycological symptoms.
H1 receptors are the reason of physiological symptoms.

« Last Edit: 05/01/2013 04:49:09 by Chaos »

Offline Chaos

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17504 on: 05/01/2013 04:37:00 »
pois lasts for 3 days generally:

***most important and painful symptom:
A)sever depression
(including: 1)anhedonia:bieng unable to experience joy. 2)suicidal thoughts 3)feeling of emptiness/void/lonliness
4)low self confidence/esteem 5)frustration & loosing hope about future 6)ADHD 7)need for Isolation)
B)anxiety/paranoia & dysphoria

***other symptoms:
- numbness(specially hands & fingers)
- myalgia(whole body)
- muscle's shake
- some parts of my body become red

- gaining APPETITE after orgasm
- seeking sugar
- excecive secretion of gastric acid

- mild headache(orgasm day)
- lack of motivation & concentration
- impatience
- fatigue & laziness
- discomfort
- sluggish/foggy/heavy cognition
- irritably(easilly getting angry & aggressive)
- remembering bad memories
- needing to sleep >1 more hour a night
- severe insomnia and change of sleep-wake time
- nightmares

***few times:
- weaker immune system and cathing cold easilly
- diarrhea
- sensitivity to light/noise
- feeling pressure on eyes
- feeling pressure on ears and change in hearing
- pale face & skin
- abnormal & weird senses of hot/cold
- once i loosed 12 kilogrames in 1 month with no reason.

I want to thank you all great people, that article about pois in mighty wikipedia and all the  researchers. I hope we will improve by the power of science. all replies and messages are appreciated.
« Last Edit: 05/01/2013 04:53:18 by Chaos »

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17505 on: 05/01/2013 07:00:16 »
1) Welcome Sohail! We're very happy that you found this forum. :) We really think and hope 2013 is the year that we can finally get some good research and solve this POIS problem once and for all!
----------------------
2) My eyes are pretty sensitive to sunlight. Also, I currently am in an area with a tropical monsoon climate (according to the wiki) with a very extreme UV index. This does not help my sensitivity to light. I usually wear sunglasses when I go outside during the day, or else I squint a lot. I think I blink more than average too. I notice that when I travel or vacation up north (where the UV index is lower) I don't have as much of a problem with this.
----------------------
3) Hi Vincent, I notice you say you have a hard time abstaining. I remember one time you posted about a homemade chastity device that you made to try to help you. I found a real chastity device. Just search for "CB6000" and you will see it. It is made of plastic and amazon has it. Now, I think this is really made for couples to play with, but it might have some practical use for a POIS sufferer if he desperately needs to abstain.
----------------------
4) Lastly, speaking of abstaining, it is something that I finally managed to do for over 2 weeks now. My results so far have been mixed. I think I feel about 40-50% better. But I still have some brain fog and mild headache. This could be simply because I haven't abstained long enough and also because I have still been masturbating/having sex with my gf, but NO orgasm (I know it's really difficult though). I plan to keep abstaining indefinitely and see what happens (to see if I have constant pois, to see if I can feel normal again, and just to feel better overall).

K, thanks guys and I hope to post again soon! I'll be bock (arnold voice, ha).

And before I forget, thanks Herman for all that info you've been sharing with us! It's very interesting to read.
« Last Edit: 05/01/2013 07:02:26 by Prancer »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17506 on: 05/01/2013 10:53:06 »
Hi, everyone a short update on me:  after having developed a rash on my scrotum 2 months ago, and embarking on a diet aimed at eliminating candida from my system, I have experienced some good results. 

I have been able to think more rationally and compose more logical statements than I usually do.  I can't say that the feeling of brain fog goes away, so my attention is still rather bad.  But I noticed a marked improvement in my ability to express myself and find the words I need.  I typically have a log-jam of vocabulary all wanting to be used. But during the various holiday parties I attended with no shortage of well-spoken people with masters and doctorate degrees, I found it especially easy to say what I wanted!  Felt nostalgic for times when I have been that high functioning :)

My rash still remains though.  I see a dermatologist next month.  I have a strong suspicion it is what is called an intertrigo, of the candidal variety.  The rash itself isn't too terrible to deal with, but I need to deal with it sooner than later.

The diet I've been on has also included taking supplements to eliminate the candida, namely natural anti-fungals and probiotics.  For the first month I was quite sick, dealing with the Herx reaction or "die off" where you feel worse before better.  I backed off the treatments during the holidays so that I could survive the germ sharing that would go on with my relatives around.  I'm back to taking them, and I see myself staying on this program for another month at least.  I think I will be taking probiotics for some time afterwards to make sure I keep my gut healthly.

In short, this experiment has made it easier to cope with my POIS symptoms, as I feel like a healthier, happier person overall.
I am pretty experienced at this program by now, so if anyone wants to know more about it I'd be happy to answer questions. 

That's good news. I think that candida growth is caused by immune system impairment from methylation defects. But then you knew that...

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17507 on: 05/01/2013 11:00:35 »
Hi, My name is sohail. i'm a 21 years old male and i'm from Iran. Now it's about a year that i've understood i have POIS.That was totally by chance after searching google "depression after sex" and reading an article about POIS in mighty wikipedia. I'm so happy i found that i'm sick. I believe this sickness badly affected all dimentions of my life.

After a little search i understood (i'm totally sure) my pois is an autoimmune reaction toward my own semen. my immune system recognise my semen(after ejaculation) as an enemy and releases histamine and all the disaster starts. Once i ate my own semen and i got sick! Therefore i try to reach orgasm without ejaculation. Sometimes i'm unable to control my orgasms and i ejaculate. I've learned i should take loratadine 2 hours before orgasm(the key factor is before orgasm); But since i'm unable to plan my ejaculations,  i take loratadine minutes after orgasm and it steal works with 50% power.
antihistamines work greatly in my case(loratadine and diphenhydramine for sleep).
loratadine works on h1 receptors. it improves 100% bodily symptoms and 50% of psycological ones for me specially if i take it 2 hours before ejaculation.
mechanism of disease:
when semen enters the urethra, immune system releases histamine.
Histamine exerts its actions by combining with specific cellular histamine receptors. The four histamine receptors that have been discovered in humans and animals are designated H1 through H4, and are all G protein-coupled receptors (GPCR).

Type   Location   Function
H1 histamine receptor   Found on smooth muscle, endothelium, and central nervous system tissue   Causes, bronchoconstriction, bronchial smooth muscle contraction, vasodilation, separation of endothelial cells (responsible for hives), and pain and itching due to insect stings; the primary receptors involved in allergic rhinitis symptoms and motion sickness; sleep and appetite suppression.
H2 histamine receptor   Located on parietal cells and vascular smooth muscle cells   Primarily involved in vasodilation. Also stimulate gastric acid secretion
H3 histamine receptor   Found on central nervous system and to a lesser extent peripheral nervous system tissue   Decreased neurotransmitter release: histamine, acetylcholine, norepinephrine, serotonin
H4 histamine receptor   Found primarily in the basophils and in the bone marrow. It is also found on thymus, small intestine, spleen, and colon.   Plays a role in chemotaxis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine#Mechanism_of_action

Decreased neurotransmitter release: histamine, acetylcholine, norepinephrine, serotonin

this is the reason of psycological symptoms.
H1 receptors are the reason of physiological symptoms.

Hi,
We had a big discussion about histamine receptors over on poiscenter.
There's some stuff here http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=795.30.
I think it's best not to post about new theories over there (as it's against the rules) but you could read the posts if you want. The h3 idea isn't new. H3 blockers aren't widely available. Alternatives are mast cell stabilisers.

Just so you know, everyone releases histamine when there's an erection. When h2 blockers are given to someone, it impedes them getting an erection.
That doesn't mean there's not an immunological reaction going on here but the question is why are POIS sufferers different rather than why do POIS sufferers have histamine release upon an O.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17508 on: 05/01/2013 11:30:29 »

4) Lastly, speaking of abstaining, it is something that I finally managed to do for over 2 weeks now. My results so far have been mixed. I think I feel about 40-50% better. But I still have some brain fog and mild headache. This could be simply because I haven't abstained long enough and also because I have still been masturbating/having sex with my gf, but NO orgasm (I know it's really difficult though). I plan to keep abstaining indefinitely and see what happens (to see if I have constant pois, to see if I can feel normal again, and just to feel better overall).

K, thanks guys and I hope to post again soon! I'll be bock (arnold voice, ha).

And before I forget, thanks Herman for all that info you've been sharing with us! It's very interesting to read.
Do you feel the headache come on when you masturbate, even without orgasm i.e. release of seminal fluid.
I do... Not all POIS sufferers seem to have that problem or maybe they don't notice it. It's interesting...

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17509 on: 05/01/2013 15:52:51 »
Vincent M, it is quite strange that you talk about  survival,  yet you need to procreate once a day ))
If you have masturbation addiction, then this is  your problem, if not I dont see a problem  staying away from sex.
If niacin  helps you  then most likely you are  over methylated

Okay,what supplements do you think an over-methylated person should take?

My minor problem is masturbation addiction, but my major problem is POIS. If you don't see a problem staying away from sex than my sex drive is obviously much higher than yours. I've been thinking of trying 5-htp to see if that might reduce my libido - I've heard some reports of it having that effect. SSRIs have reduced my libido in the past and thus also my masturbation frequency, but they worsened all my POIS symptoms which wasn't acceptable.

Prancer, I have read of those devices. Perhaps eventually I will try buying one. However I doubt I'd ever trust anyone to hold  a key for me especially with my social anxiety. I'd rather shoot myself than have paramedics try to cut one of those things off me.
« Last Edit: 05/01/2013 16:08:27 by Vincent M »

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17510 on: 05/01/2013 21:59:00 »
Vincent M.   It has nothing to do with sex drive.  My sex drive is  much higher than yours I bet,  since my testosterone levels are really high now and  DHT is low.  In your case  your DHT(your  libido)  is killing you  by controlling your  thinking process,  and testosterone(erection and ability to perform)  is low  since  you are  missing   a lot of nutrients and you are in POIS.   It is silly to try stuff  out they way  you do,  why dont you  do   the blood  tests I will try to help you ...I need to know your body chemestry to  suggest you things.

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17511 on: 05/01/2013 22:04:31 »
Chris,   as I mentioned  before ,  heavy exercise helps people with  problematic sodium level, since it stresses out the adrenal gland and it starts  pumping aldosterone,  which  in  turn  helps to  increase the accumulation  of sodium by  the kidneys.   But  if you do this  for a while,  you will burn out, and  also your  thyroid  will  adjust.  Your POIS will get  worse..I tried  this too,

I hope this helps.
Herman.

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17512 on: 05/01/2013 22:08:46 »
Vincent M,  when you  start  to  balance,  your  libido,( DHT)  unhealthy   obsessive compulsive  disorder,  will  diminish  a lot and  you will  have no problems obstaining from  sex, Your erections and ability to perform  will get  to the maximum. And  your brain will relax   feeling this inside power.  Now you are obsessed with it,  and constantly trying to prove yourself something.  I went  thru all  stages  of POIS.. I know  what you are going thru,  and I know how  bad this is.   

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17513 on: 05/01/2013 22:38:51 »
Gbolduev, here is a general blood test I got from my GP a few months ago. Let me know if you see anything that sticks out to you. I had my thyroid hormones tested 3 times and they were fine every time.

White Blood Count         6.2K/UL            4.5-11.0
Red Blood Count          5.01M/UL                 4.70-6.10
Hemoglobin            15.1 g/dl            14.0-18.0
Hematocrit            42.6%            42.0-52.0
MCV                       85.0 fL            80.0-94.0
MCH                       30.1 pg            27.0-34.0
MCHC               35.4 g/dl            32.0-36.0
RDW               12.3%            11.0-15.0
MPV                       9.6 fL            7.4-10.4
Platelet Count            332 K/UL                 150-450
Neut%               54.7%            42.0-75.0
Lym%               32.3%            15.0-40.0
Mono%               12.0%         H   3.0-11.0
Eos%               0.5%            0.0-7.0
Baso%               0.3%            0.0-3.0
Neu#               3..3 K/mm3         1.5-7.7
Lym#               2.0 K/mm3         1.4-3.9
Mono#               0.7 K/mm3         0.2-1.0
Eos#               0.0 K/mm3         0.0-0.7
Baso#               0.0 K/mm3         0.0-0.3
IG%                       0.2%            0.0-1.0
IG#                       0.01 K/mm3         0.00-0.10

Test Name                                Result                    Flag     Reference
Sed Rate                                  5 mm/hr                           1-15

NA                      138.0 mmoI/L         137.0-145.0
K                      3.70 mmoI/L         3.60-5.30
Cl                      97.0 mmoI/L      L    98.0-110.0
CO2                      26.0 mmoI/L         22.0-32.0
Glucose               88 mg/dl                 65-99
BUN                      16.0 mg/dl                     7.0-23.0
Crea                      1.00 mg/dl                 0.70-1.30
Ca                      9.6 mg/dl                 0.70-1.30
Total Protein            8.80 g/dl            H    6.30-8.20
AlbuminP                   5.40 g/dl            H   3.50-5.00
AST                      25 iu/l            15-46
Alkaline Phosphase         61 iu/l            38-126
ALT                      7 iu/l                L   13-69
T. Bilirubin                   1.20 mg/dl                0.20-1.30
cGFR-AA                   >60 ML/MIN/1.7      60-125mL/min/1.73m/S/2
cGFR-O               >60 ML/MIN/1.7      60-125mL/min/1.73m/S/2
« Last Edit: 06/01/2013 05:26:53 by Vincent M »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17514 on: 05/01/2013 22:55:35 »
Also my erections are fine. I do agree that if I had more energy my willpower to abstain would increase a bit, but it's silly to say that sex drive is not a factor in masturbation frequency.

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17515 on: 06/01/2013 05:59:50 »
Do you feel the headache come on when you masturbate, even without orgasm i.e. release of seminal fluid.
I do... Not all POIS sufferers seem to have that problem or maybe they don't notice it. It's interesting...

Often I get a headache from just masturbating with no orgasm. Mainly though the effects I feel are cognitive problems such as unexplained mental exhaustion and a weird lightheaded feeling and also tightness feeling in my scalp. This is pretty much the same feeling I get after an orgasm, except it is a lot worse. I remember someone describing here one time a feeling like hot wax over their head. This is what I feel too, and it's one of my worst and most disliked pois symptoms; it also corresponds with a lot of brain fog/mental fatigue. POIS can be really weird.

Prancer

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #17516 on: 06/01/2013 07:21:10 »
Also my erections are fine. I do agree that if I had more energy my willpower to abstain would increase a bit, but it's silly to say that sex drive is not a factor in masturbation frequency.

I don't think Herman's saying that sex drive/testosterone levels/etc are not factors in your desire to masturbate so frequently.  What he's saying is that sex drive is not your problem.  There are many factors that are likely influencing your desire to masturbate so frequently:
  • low serotonin levels can result in a significantly higher sex drive to the point of potential sexual addiction.
  • low dopamine can cause addictive behavior.
  • Also, Kurtosis would not let me forget that histamine levels play a large role too.  If you believe you need to wear a chastity belt, I'd bet your histamine levels are super high and you're very easily stimulated.

« Last Edit: 06/01/2013 08:11:33 by B_Daniel »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #17517 on: 06/01/2013 07:42:37 »
Often I get a headache from just masturbating with no orgasm. Mainly though the effects I feel are cognitive problems such as unexplained mental exhaustion and a weird lightheaded feeling and also tightness feeling in my scalp. This is pretty much the same feeling I get after an orgasm, except it is a lot worse. I remember someone describing here one time a feeling like hot wax over their head. This is what I feel too, and it's one of my worst and most disliked pois symptoms; it also corresponds with a lot of brain fog/mental fatigue. POIS can be really weird.
Prancer

Hey Prancer! I dont experience a hot wax sensation, but like you, I get about a day of pois symptoms from edging.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2013 08:05:44 by B_Daniel »

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17518 on: 06/01/2013 09:34:20 »
Vincent M.      When were these done?    Also   please post your  thyroid  tests here.  There is no such thing as  normal tests.  The ranges used in the labs are worthless/    The important thing is  how one gland  works against  another. 

Looking at your tests,  your problem is quite clear.  You  might be  in POIS type  1. ( I still need  the thyroid to prove that) .   Му e-mail  is gbolduev@mail.ru
Can you please send me stuff there. And I will respond to you with more explanation  on  what is  going on.

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17519 on: 06/01/2013 09:49:19 »
VIncent  M?  your corstisol is low?

Offline gondal4

• View Profile
« Reply #17520 on: 06/01/2013 15:55:41 »
how can one masturbate without O plz explain,i dont understand this..on a side not you people dont reply to me.i dont know if u dont see my post or just ignore

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17521 on: 06/01/2013 16:28:59 »
how can one masturbate without O plz explain,i dont understand this..on a side not you people dont reply to me.i dont know if u dont see my post or just ignore

gondal4, I'm not sure what you mean. I see that joint pain and fatigue are part of your symptoms. Fenugreek + tea helped me with these two symptoms. 1/3 of a teaspoon of nutmeg will reduce my joint pain a lot, but will make me a little sleepy. You should take a look at the treatments that have helped me at this link: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17522 on: 06/01/2013 16:32:23 »
Vincent M.      When were these done?    Also   please post your  thyroid  tests here.  There is no such thing as  normal tests.  The ranges used in the labs are worthless/    The important thing is  how one gland  works against  another. 

Looking at your tests,  your problem is quite clear.  You  might be  in POIS type  1. ( I still need  the thyroid to prove that) .   Му e-mail  is gbolduev@mail.ru
Can you please send me stuff there. And I will respond to you with more explanation  on  what is  going on.

I don't know a good doctor to do tests for me at the moment.

Do you see any value in herbs for POIS? Are vitamins the only thing you think can help us?

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17523 on: 06/01/2013 17:27:54 »
low serotonin levels can result in a significantly higher sex drive to the point of potential sexual addiction.

This is why I'm thinking about trying 5-htp.

low dopamine can cause addictive behavior.

I tried mucuna pruriens to address it through this pathway with no effect on libido. Ritalin does help reduce libido for me, although I think it does it by increasing my cognitive energy and thus my willpower in general.

Also, Kurtosis would not let me forget that histamine levels play a large role too.  If you believe you need to wear a chastity belt, I'd bet your histamine levels are super high and you're very easily stimulated.

H1 receptor inverse agonists such as benadryl and claritin have no effect on how easily I'm stimulated. Perhaps methionine might. Alcohol and klonopin on the other hand are somewhat effective at increasing the time it takes for me to become stimulated, although probably by depressing the CNS. My CNS is definitely overstimulated, but I'm not sure if high histamine is the reason behind that.

If Gbolduev wants to help me then he can tell me what I might want to take to address my high sex drive and stop repeating the same theories over and over again.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2013 18:03:14 by Vincent M »

Offline Romuloid Raimus

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17524 on: 06/01/2013 17:48:26 »
Hi everyone, I was experiencing some post orgasm symptoms that led me to this forum (and to many others).  I have pretty much cured my POIS symptoms through diet, exercise, and supplementation, so I thought I would share my experience with anyone interested.  Also, I realize this is a science forum, so forgive my lack of scientific content, this is mostly just empirical evidence.

I began ejaculating when I was around 12-13, and ejaculated close to every day, many times multiple times a day, until I was 23, when I began experimenting with abstinence (NoFap).

My symptoms began when I was around 17 (I'm almost 30 now).  Symptoms included:
- Fatigue
- Social Anxiety
- General lack of interest in life
- Lack of Self-Confidence
- Constantly not feeling like myself
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Lower Back Pain
- Irritability
- Testicular Aching
- Something I don't know how to classify other than a hyper-active mind (ADD perhaps?)
- Also, my hair began to fall out when I was 17, which I consider to be exceptionally young

Of course, some of these "symptoms" may be attributed to puberty, and me generally being an asshole, but some of them, especially the physical ones, I found, were directly related to my body not being able to "keep up" with my sex drive.

So, eventually I found the NoFap community on Reddit.  Great group of people who have, or are trying to, give up masturbation all together.  Though this probably isn't the ideal solution for most men, for me, it works 100%.  All symptoms listed above disappeared or lessened greatly within 5 weeks of abstinence.

However, while not ejaculating cured my symptoms, I kept wondering why I was having trouble with frequency of ejaculation, and others were not.  So, my research took me to a popular bodybuilding forum, where I wanted to find out from men with good strong libidos and normal, healthy recovery times, what works and what doesn't.

So, obviously, these healthy men have several things in common, and they worked for me as well.  They are:
- Resistance Training… Increases testosterone production and blood flow to extremities.
- Cardio… Increases blood flow, generally just great for your body.
- Diet… For your hormonal levels to be optimum, so needs to be your body fat percentage.  The only way to lose fat is by eating at a "caloric deficit".

- Supplements… There is a massive amount of supplements that work to help the body produce testosterone and dopamine (which are chiefly responsible for the male libido), as well as help with things like semen production, smooth muscle relaxation, and circulation.
You'll have to do your own research on these and find something that works for you, but my current "stack" consists of:
- Multi-Vitamin…  to ensure that I don't have any deficiencies.  The one I take also has some libido and prostate supporting ingredients which is a bonus.
- Iron… because my multi doesn't contain it.  Careful not to over do it on the iron.
- ZMA… it contains zinc, magnesium, and vitamin b, all of which your body needs to produce test and semen.
- Omega 3's… Very good for sexual and brain health.  Also, your body needs cholesterol to produce testosterone, so be sure to get enough either through diet or supplementation.
- Amino Acids… These are essential for test and semen production as well.
- Maca… an "adaptogen", great for libido semen, and testosterone production.
- Horny Goat Weed… Smooth muscle relaxer, similar to prescription drugs for ED.
- L-DOPA (Mucuna Pruriens), converted to dopamine in the brain.

These all make noticeable improvements to my libido, reduce the sexual refractory period, and make erections easier to achieve and maintain.

Here are some that I don't have experience with, but are worth looking into:
- D-Aspartic Acid… Amino acid that has been shown to increase testosterone.
- Ginseng… Possibly an adaptogen like Maca.  Really looking forward to trying it.
- Ginko… Apparently inhibits prolactin, as well as provides numorus other health benefits.
- Tribulus
- Eurycoma longifolia (Long Jack)
- Yohimbe… Be careful with this one as it is a stimulant and some people don't react well to it.
- L-Arginine
- Cissus
- Fenugreek… Raises testosterone
- DHA is interesting.  It can, however be synthesized from ALA.  It is essential for sperm production and many parts of the body, including testicles are made from it.
- L-tyrosine - Precurser to dopamine a norepinepherine - reduces stress hormones not as effective as L-DOPA.
- Reservatol - Studies in animals show that it increases testosterone and sperm production.
- GABA -  Neurotransmitter - Studies show it increases HGH in humans.
- Lecithin

Also, I recommend looking into the practice of "edging".  It's a way to experience some sexual pleasure and raise dopamine and testosterone levels,  without losing all of those valuable fluids and falling into the refractory period.  It's perhaps the thing that has helped me the most.

Anyway, you guys will have to do your own research and find out what works for you.  I hope this is legible enough to get the point across.  Just took a few minutes to write my findings down, so I HOPE IT HELPS!

Take Care,
RR

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17524 on: 06/01/2013 17:48:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length