The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6426432 times)

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #17650 on: 18/01/2013 16:28:53 »
Hi, Another interesting fact, I found.  Today I made absolute eosinophil count.  Interesting to see that normal range is 20 to 500.  Whereas my observed value is 1520.  three times higher than the maximum limit.  Is any body has made this AEC blood test.  What does it mean?

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17651 on: 18/01/2013 18:09:25 »
"An absolute eosinophil count is a blood test that measures the number of white blood cells called eosinophils. Eosinophils become active when you have certain allergic diseases, infections, and other medical conditions.

Certain medicines may cause you to have an increase in eosinophils. Such medicines include:

Amphetamines (appetite suppressants)
Certain laxatives containing psyllium
Certain antibiotics
Interferon
Tranquilizers

High numbers of eosinophils (eosinophilia) are usually associated with allergic diseases and infections from parasites such as worms. A high eosinophil count may be due to:

Asthma
Autoimmune diseases
Eczema
Hay fever
Leukemia"

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003649.htm

It's interesting that yours was that high. Where did you get this blood test and were there any comments about it on the lab report?

Offline RalphW

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17652 on: 18/01/2013 19:02:00 »
Hi and welcome!  I'm glad you introduced yourself.  You definitely sound like you have POIS.  The biggest thing that has changed my life in regards to POIS has been the use of the niacin flush before orgasm.  That's the only real relief I have besides abstinence.

You are the first person I know to be taking MAOI's.  Those went out of style once they SSRI's came out, but are used when symptoms are so severe that it's worth dealing with the side effects.  I have been dealing with depression for nearly 10 years as well as bipolar type II.  I have unpleasant dreams with SSRI's, so I don't take them.  I had to spend 3 years in hospitals and group homes to overcome my severe depression and intermittent psychosis.  Have you ever been manic or psychotic?  I take an antipsychotic every day along with a benzodiazapine for anxiety.  Oh and lithium for bipolar (which actually is helping me with its antidepressant properties.

Induce that niacin flush (like get HOT and RED!), wait 20-30 min after the peak, and then have your orgasm.  I'm quite confident you will find relief!

Thanks for the welcome. The MAOI I am taking (Phenelzine) is used quite often to treat social phobia. I did try every other type of anti-depressant first but none worked as well as the Phenelzine. I had one psychotic episode while on Phenelzine a few years ago. Not sure if it was a serotonin syndrom type episode but I had recently had surgery so I was using pain killers, NSAI's, and was under a lot of stress financially from being off work. This happened two years ago and I was prescribed a small dose (150mg/day) of trileptal after the eposide. Things have been stable mentally since then. Pois is the same as always. I also take 1mg/day clonazapam for anxiety.

I get headaches from taking the supplement l-arginine and also from hot tubs. These headaches are similar to a POIS headache. I thought these may be caused by vaso-dilation as my blood pressure in normally on the low side. I can't find any natural vaso-restrictors that would be safe with the phenelzine.

What type of niacin and what dose is recommended before O?

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17653 on: 18/01/2013 19:09:42 »
Nathan,  You are the one  taking  calcium channel blocker?  If it helps you , it means that   your TSH is below 1.5  and also means that  you are in   infection POIS,    same as that  tonsil guy.    Eosinophils  are included  in my  tests that I require on the Russian forum. Do the eucalyptus  enemas, and kill the parasites.   High eosinophils  -- most likely  parasites,   low eosinophils-  most likely  acute infection.

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #17654 on: 18/01/2013 22:47:27 »
Hi Vincent,

You bring up interesting points.  My current psychiatrist and I are working on tapering me off my antipsychotic, and I'm finding I need to take more clonipin to deal with the reemerging symptoms of anxiety and distractability.  I have many problems that have devolped over the past 5-6 years while taking antipsychotics and mood stabilizers, and no one has a great explanation as to why except that the meds themselves are causing them.

I was so turned off to using clonipin when I was first prescribed it 5 years ago because I had seen so many peers of mine who had abused benzos and I didn't want to start on that track.  Now, I realized I have a good (maybe better?) head on my shoulders than those peers, so I have begun to take advantage of clonipin's wonderful effects.  It works very well, and has added no other side effects yet.

Just to be clear: yes, I was on the two other drugs before the benzo

And no: I have not tried just the benzo without the other drugs, because I have never successfully withdrawn from my antipsychotic without going back into psychosis. BUT I never used the clonipin to its full capabilities.

You really bring up something I am right in the middle of hashing out, which is interesting.  I really needed some serious help from psychiatric meds back in the day, but I have recovered from those hard times and I'm trying to remove whatever unnecessary medications I am currently taking.

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #17655 on: 18/01/2013 22:52:36 »
How are your side effects from your MAOI?  I have never had a doctor offer to try me on one, and I figured that the side effects were a major trade off...  I too have social phobia but I'm curious about how it felt the first time you realized the MAOI helped.  SSRIs never had a real positive effect for me, I just kept taking them because I believed my depression was so severe I couldn't discern if they weren't helping and that my pain was just too strong.

I get headaches from taking the supplement l-arginine and also from hot tubs. These headaches are similar to a POIS headache. I thought these may be caused by vaso-dilation as my blood pressure in normally on the low side. I can't find any natural vaso-restrictors that would be safe with the phenelzine.

What type of niacin and what dose is recommended before O?

I too can't handle l-arginine, as well as any of the supplements that upregulate the amount of dopamine in my body.  Nor can I handle even herbs that increase nitric oxide production.  Interesting?

Offline Mer

• View Profile
« Reply #17656 on: 19/01/2013 04:32:02 »
That is a very good news!! How about brain fog? Did you have brain fog before? Is your brain fog gone now?

90 %? So whats left?

Nothing really as important: just some stomach pain and bloatness, but nothing really serious. My main issue was the headache, fatigue and pshychological symptoms that lasted for days. And all of that is solved :)

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17657 on: 19/01/2013 05:05:33 »
Nightingale,

I see. I haven't tried antipsychotics and I haven't read extensively on them, but I'd advise you to take as little as possible of the klonopin. I took it for a few months a few times a week, although at a dosage of 2 or 3 mgs, and I'm pretty sure it made my base anxiety level slightly permanently worse. I've read stories of doctors suddenly taking patients off of benzos so it might be a good idea to keep some in reserve.
« Last Edit: 25/05/2013 21:12:21 by Vincent M »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #17658 on: 19/01/2013 05:24:37 »
What I've found that works consistently to speed up feeling "normal" again is blending (not juicing) the following: kale (about a cereal bowl full -- make sure it's organic -- look up the 'dirty dozen',) blueberries (about one handful), strawberries(4-6), 2 bananas, Hershey's cocoa (non-alkalized -- about two teaspoons,) 1 celery stalk (organic -- look up the 'dirty dozen',) baby leaf spinach (about half a cereal bowl - organic -- look up the 'dirty dozen',) red globe grapes (seeded, including the seeds, about 10-15 grapes) and a half red bell pepper. I generally make about 4 full mugs full and drink it in one sitting.

I believe that works for you but that's just such an insane amount of stuff.  4 full mugs?!?  If you could figure out what the vitamin equivalents of those fruits/vegetables are and see if that works, we'd be getting somewhere.  Then eliminate one per week and see which you don't need.  It'd likely take 6 months to get to the bottom of it, but the result would be something manageable. 

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #17659 on: 19/01/2013 05:29:31 »
Also, I sent my saliva sample to 23andME. They said that I will have my results at the end of febuary.

sweeet!  will be interesting to see if we have any similar areas with genetic mutations.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17660 on: 19/01/2013 12:28:48 »
I too can't handle l-arginine, as well as any of the supplements that upregulate the amount of dopamine in my body.  Nor can I handle even herbs that increase nitric oxide production.  Interesting?

Hi Nightingale,
Can you explain what you mean by not being able to handle herbs that increase nitric oxide production?
One problem is that herbs don't do one thing. They are not targetted pharmaceuticals. For instance you can get COMT inhibition effects with ginkgo and also MAO inhibition aswell from quercetin (which is part of standardised ginkgo extract).

See
http://rudyrides.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/ginkgo_tbi2.pdf
"GBE exerts transmitter/receptor effects that are likely mediated via radical scavenging/inhibition, hemodynamic/metabolic modulation, PAF antagonism, MAO and COMT inhibition..."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10983836?dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17497242
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercetin#Monoamine-oxidase_inhibitor
Herbs are literally a mixed bag :)
They can have some good and bad effects. Then there's supplement manufacturers who add a mix of herbs to a product in a really non-specific way. You've got to be careful mixing herbs and drugs.

There's a lot of info about ginkgo's effects here
http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com/nd/Search.aspx?pt=100&id=333&ds=mechanism

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #17661 on: 19/01/2013 14:49:00 »
Hi Everyone,

From the last two and half months, I am taking Calcium Channel Blocker.  It worked very well for me and relieved my POIS almost 80%.  But one disadvantage if it increased my weight heavily and I reached 100 kg.  So, I decided to stop taking Calcium Channel Blocker. 

Joining new therapy from tomorrow for POIS cured.  If it is worked out I will post

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #17662 on: 19/01/2013 15:00:41 »
RalphW, I forgot to say about the niacin:  take actual niacin, not No-flush niacin which is niacinamide. 

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #17663 on: 19/01/2013 15:11:36 »
Sure kurtosis.  I was afraid I was overreaching a bit with saying I don't tolerate NO producing herbs.  I wasn't aware that ginko could increase NO (if that was indeed what you were saying), but I tolerated that fine.

The herb I took was Hawthorne berry.  I can't find the mechanism of action at the moment, but I do remember finding it and seeing that it increased NO.  Here's the best I could find (cringe, Livestrong...) http://www.livestrong.com/article/410364-hawthorn-berry-supplements/

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17664 on: 19/01/2013 16:11:18 »
Haha Nightingale, it's not like Lance wrote the article himself :)
Seriously though, read the last link about ginkgo. There's quite a few studies that show in vitro AND in vivo endolethial NO increases.
See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17497242

Of the herbs I tried, ginkgo felt the most beneficial in reducing POIS with the least negative effects. Although I found psterostilbene pretty good & I don't have a good theory as to why that would work. It's known to have some anti-inflammatory effects but that's a pretty loose theory.
I did feel mildly itchy after using ginkgo or a while but it could have been something else. Like I've said before, I get rashes.  Some herbs like Huperzine gave a short lived improvement but they didn't appear to have any mitigating affect on POIS over more than a week. Similarly St John's Wort lightened my mood for a while but didn't improve my POIS.

Theoretically, ginkgo helps with vasomodulation and may increase constriction and dilation in different tissues. Whether it's comparable with something like flunarizine (whose anti migraine effects may be related to vaso-regulation) I do not know.
There's also the role of adenosylcobalamin (an active form of b12) and tetrahydrabiopterin (BH4) in mast cell stability. Whether ginkgo is a better root than methylb12 and adenosyl-b12 in trying to reduce inflammation, I don't know. And I've tried them both... :)

I read a lot about this last year but I must admit I've forgotten about some of that material...

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #17665 on: 19/01/2013 17:18:25 »
I was just reading through this thread because I wasnt sure what it was about.  Not all of it mind.  Can I offer a suggestion?  Have any of you tried a ketogenic diet?
A lot of the symptoms you describe: itching, rashes, low b nutrients are exactly what happen to me when I eat grains (I have liver disease-cirrhosis), either treatment or the cirrhosis itself has caused numerous digestive problems, most of which have been alleviated with a ketogenic diet.
Anyway-just a thought you guys seem quite clued up on nutrition.  Please be careful with those herbs mixed with meds though......

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17666 on: 19/01/2013 18:27:36 »
Interesting suggestion Minerva. Sometimes I'll eat half a stick of butter over the course of a day without much noticeable health benefit, but I suppose that wouldn't be enough to make my body use mostly ketones for energy. I'll have to read more about it. Seems like it'd be expensive. My diet right now is fairly balanced, but I don't eat enough I think.

Of course itching and rashes are only my most minor symptoms and I'm not sure yet if I'm deficient in Vit Bs.
« Last Edit: 19/01/2013 18:31:13 by Vincent M »

Offline RalphW

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17667 on: 19/01/2013 18:49:09 »
How are your side effects from your MAOI?  I have never had a doctor offer to try me on one, and I figured that the side effects were a major trade off...  I too have social phobia but I'm curious about how it felt the first time you realized the MAOI helped.  SSRIs never had a real positive effect for me, I just kept taking them because I believed my depression was so severe I couldn't discern if they weren't helping and that my pain was just too strong

I'm on a fairly low dosage (30mg) and can't really tolerate higher levels due to the blood pressure lowering effects of the drug. A low tyramine diet is the only down side as far as I'm concerned but the list of retricted food is not that much of an issue for me. I had one  hypertensive response with draft beer and that was a very scary incident.
After trying a whole range of typical antidepressants, Nardil was the only one that seemed to truly work with social phobia so I believe the trade-offs are worth it.
My doctor also perscribed the NSAI indomethacin which he says will stop the flood of dopamine during o and this seems to be helping.
« Last Edit: 19/01/2013 19:20:54 by RalphW »

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #17668 on: 19/01/2013 20:26:04 »
@RalphW

Indomethacin theorically is a good Nsaid for Pois, because it is often prescribed for sexual headaches. One doctor prescribed it to me once, but then i remembered i am allergic to the majority of Nsaids, LOL.

BTW, one multi-vitaminic that helps me is the Merck Bion with with probiotics, ginseng, shisandra, CoQ10, vitamins and minerals.
« Last Edit: 19/01/2013 20:31:08 by Quasar »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17669 on: 19/01/2013 21:15:28 »
My doctor also perscribed the NSAI indomethacin which he says will stop the flood of dopamine during o and this seems to be helping.

Indomethacin has no effect on dopamine. Well I couldn't find it with a google search anyway.

I'll list some herbal remedies that have been far more effective than NSAIDs for me: Fenugreek + tea/garlic, saw palmetto, ginkgo biloba, and nutmeg. These have all the positive anti-inflammatory benefits for me minus the risk of damaging your stomach lining that NSAIDs have. The nutmeg also seems to have a general pain-relieving effect that is far superior to tylenol for me.

Oh I just read that headaches and nausea are among your symptoms. Have you tried regular aspirin for the headaches? I don't have either of these symptoms so the herbs I listed might be of no help to you. I take most of them for inflammation in my joints, face, scalp, and other external places. It's interesting how different substances work better for inflammation in different parts of the body.
« Last Edit: 19/01/2013 21:23:35 by Vincent M »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17670 on: 20/01/2013 11:53:49 »
I was just reading through this thread because I wasnt sure what it was about.  Not all of it mind.  Can I offer a suggestion?  Have any of you tried a ketogenic diet?
A lot of the symptoms you describe: itching, rashes, low b nutrients are exactly what happen to me when I eat grains (I have liver disease-cirrhosis), either treatment or the cirrhosis itself has caused numerous digestive problems, most of which have been alleviated with a ketogenic diet.
Anyway-just a thought you guys seem quite clued up on nutrition.  Please be careful with those herbs mixed with meds though......

I've found that coconut oil helps with sinusitis. However, it also helps with yeast infections (reduces discharge after a week or so) so I don't know if I'm benefitting from ketosis.

My 23andme results said I had about twice the normal risk of primary biliary cirrhosis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_biliary_cirrhosis
and a my grandfather on my mother's side had symptoms of this. He also developed pernicious anaemia, as I've said before.

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #17671 on: 21/01/2013 00:21:17 »
RalphW - since you suffer from social anxiety and also pois (where some here get relief from taking Niacin), I thought you might be interested in a couple of articles I have read on niacin that might interest you. I don't know the direct links so just give you the name of the articles and you can search for them.
* Supplemental Niacinamide Mitigates Anxiety Symptoms: Three Case Reports - Dr Jonathan E. Prousky
* Niacinamide’s Potent role in Alleviating Anxiety with its Benzodiazepine-like Properties - Dr Jonathan E. Prousky

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #17672 on: 21/01/2013 03:12:46 »
Yes, I said solve our POIS problems...Make your donations today itself! If you wait, you will wait forever!

Please be careful with such big leaps as to say this will solve our problems.  It's research and it's much needed, but it's not the final solution.  Wait forever?  This kind of speak just plays at my emotions and I've heard it enough to know what to do, if I ever get enough money to donate despite living on welfare.  I'm glad you can't post animated GIFs on this site...

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17673 on: 21/01/2013 03:29:43 »
The new members should know that advertising the NORD fund here is against NSF forum rules. It's best to respect our host's wishes as this forum has been a great place for us to help each other.

Offline gondal4

• View Profile
« Reply #17674 on: 21/01/2013 09:24:06 »
can it be a simple weakness?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17674 on: 21/01/2013 09:24:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length