The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6449120 times)

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #17675 on: 21/01/2013 10:01:55 »
The new members should know that advertising the NORD fund here is against NSF forum rules. It's best to respect our host's wishes as this forum has been a great place for us to help each other.

I second that. However, it seems that the post has already been removed / moderated.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17676 on: 21/01/2013 10:02:39 »
can it be a simple weakness?

What do you mean exactly?
Weakness of what?

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17677 on: 21/01/2013 10:04:45 »

I'll list some herbal remedies that have been far more effective than NSAIDs for me: Fenugreek + tea/garlic, saw palmetto, ginkgo biloba, and nutmeg. These have all the positive anti-inflammatory benefits for me minus the risk of damaging your stomach lining that NSAIDs have. The nutmeg also seems to have a general pain-relieving effect that is far superior to tylenol for me.

What kind of tea? Green and black tea contain quercetin, as does ginkgo.

Offline gondal4

• View Profile
« Reply #17678 on: 21/01/2013 16:15:36 »
this fenugreek tea dont help me,iam trying for 2 days After O...not 1% better....

iam weakness becuase of ejacu......tion

sorry for my english,not my first language

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17679 on: 21/01/2013 18:57:12 »
Green tea seems to work a little better than black tea in combination with fenugreek for me.

I found it interesting that green and black tea are both from the leaf of the same plant, but the time they are harvested and way they are processed is what makes them different.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17680 on: 21/01/2013 19:26:21 »
Green tea seems to work a little better than black tea in combination with fenugreek for me.

I found it interesting that green and black tea are both from the leaf of the same plant, but the time they are harvested and way they are processed is what makes them different.

Both quercetin and catechins in green tea have anti-inflammatory effects. Green tea was one of the first things I drank to help get over POIS. I found decaffeinated worked best.

Offline GDRTW

• View Profile
« Reply #17681 on: 22/01/2013 05:39:33 »
Like I said before in a comment, if you can find passionfruit green tea (with real seeds) then go for that. Or you could just add passionfruit to the mix itself. The nutrients I get from actually chewing on the seeds themselves help me refresh the mind in times of need. I'll add fenugreek seeds next time. I'm curious to see how that concoction goes.

Offline gondal4

• View Profile
« Reply #17682 on: 22/01/2013 13:43:08 »
what is this histamine thing,and what is its fuctions and why it effect us? can somebody explain to me in simple words
« Last Edit: 22/01/2013 14:12:11 by gondal4 »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17683 on: 22/01/2013 20:15:53 »
Histamine is released during an allergic or autoimmune reaction and is thought to cause inflammation, swelling, redness, itching, and burning.

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #17684 on: 23/01/2013 20:08:27 »
I have been sure that my nose has become crooked over the last year or two, but I never really thought why this could be.  I just chocked it up to insecurity and not having observed it before, perhaps.  But I took at look at photos of myself just a few years ago and ones recently, and there is definitely a leaning of my nose to my right.

I bring this up as it's another connective tissue problem, apparently.  The medical term is deviated septum, which is associated with genetic connective tissue disorders such as Marfan's Syndrome.  I have some traits of a cousin to Marfan's Syndrome which include a bowl chest (Pectus Excavatum) and hyperflexible joints.  I have an abnormally high amount of stretch marks around my armpits and groin areas, also a connective tissue problem.  Lastly, the most recent connective tissue problem has been my diagnosis of Raynaud's Syndrome, which is a constant vasoconstriction in your peripherals.

I don't like that my face is getting disfigured!  I'm guess there's a connection to POIS here, but I don't know what it is.  Any ideas?

EDIT:  I found an interesting disease on wikipedia called Homocystinuria that fits a lot of what I describe, AND it has to do with the methylation cycle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homocystinuria

I am somewhat tall and thin, with thin arms, pectus issues, psychiatric disease, myopia (nearsightedness).  They advise a diet AVOIDING methionine and treatment with Trimethylglycine (aka betaine)

Thing is, I had my Homocysteine level checked November of 2012, results:

- Homocysteine 8.5,  Reference range 5.4 - 11.9

Also had my Methylmalonic acid check, results:

- Methylmalonic acid 76, Reference range 87-318

My doc said that although my Methlymalonic acid level is low, it's not clinically significant, and that if I had B-12 deficiency, the levels tend to be high i.e. low or normal are ok, high would be a problem

Unless my personal ranges of homocystine or this acid are needing to be different from the rest of humanity, I'm not sure what to make of all this!
« Last Edit: 23/01/2013 20:26:36 by Nightingale »

Offline RalphW

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17685 on: 24/01/2013 02:30:39 »
RalphW - since you suffer from social anxiety and also pois (where some here get relief from taking Niacin), I thought you might be interested in a couple of articles I have read on niacin that might interest you. I don't know the direct links so just give you the name of the articles and you can search for them.
* Supplemental Niacinamide Mitigates Anxiety Symptoms: Three Case Reports - Dr Jonathan E. Prousky
* Niacinamide’s Potent role in Alleviating Anxiety with its Benzodiazepine-like Properties - Dr Jonathan E. Prousky

Interesting articles, I tried 500mg Niacin the other day, was expecting a flush but didn't think it would be that bad. Totally body flush, burning and tingling in my legs as well as headache. Symptoms lasted a few hours but I believe i could notice the effect for 48 hours. My multi-vitamin has 25mg B3 and does not cause any symptoms so I think I will try to get 100mg tablets and see how that goes.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17686 on: 24/01/2013 10:16:18 »
Nightingale, people suffering with homocystinuria have a CBS mutation. However, there are CBS mutations which may theoretically increase the rate at which homocysteine is cleared BUT the person may still produce too little methionine (effectively methylated homocysteine). The key to understanding this is the methylation cycle.

What you describe reminds me a lot of this site which I posted a while back. http://www.mthfrheds.com which relates MTHFR, connective tissue diseases and mast cell disorders. It was interesting for me because I'd read the BH4 and NOS deficiency papers earlier and then stumbled on that site.

I am also tall, thin and myopic. Eye problems run in my family, specifically a worsening control of the muscles in one or both eyes. 

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #17687 on: 24/01/2013 14:48:29 »
Wow, thanks kurtosis.  With my current issues with reading/dyslexia I'll have to read that about 14x, but scanning it over gives me some real sense that there is something really pertinent for me there!

Offline throwaway

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17688 on: 26/01/2013 15:39:39 »
High daily doses of Zinc and Vitamin B6 completely solved the problem for me. Please look up "Pyroluria" on Google. There's plenty of writing on the matter.

POIS was a symptom of Pyroluria for me (there are other symptoms, and POIS isn't traditionally one of them). It is very straightforward to try the supplements and see if it works.

I take 150mg Zn and about 200mg Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) every single day. If I "O", I take 50mg Zn and 80mg B6 an hour two after (on top of my daily regular does).

My POIS symptoms were:
1. Sore throat and pain in tonsils (usually right one)
2. Blood shot eyes
3. Brain fog
4. Irritability
5. Fatigue and weakness

Every one of these symptoms is gone now. I do still get bloodshot eyes if I don't take the extra Zinc and B6 about 1 to 2 hours after I "O". Once I take them (say 4 hours after), the bloodshot eyes go away. No other symptoms show up even if I skip this extra dose as long as I'm taking my daily dose (150mg Zn and 200mg B6).

To repeat, look up "Pyroluria" on Google and just try the higher doses of Zn and B6 supplements. If you don't see improvements quickly (a day or two), then this may not be the solution for you. For those that it does work for, I think it will work very quickly and will be obvious that it is a solution for you.

Good luck.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17689 on: 26/01/2013 17:43:07 »
You're over the safe daily dose of b6. Read http://uvahealth.com/services/cancer-center/images-and-docs/neuropathy.pdf
I take some vitamin B6 and zinc every day as part of a multivitamin but megadose vitamin b6 is not a good idea.

Offline aks020

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17690 on: 26/01/2013 21:49:14 »
I only get allergy and it converts to cold or cough after sometime after masturbation or night fall.Also problem is sneezing continously for 20-25 times or even more , no other problem is this POIS.

i get cold that is in the form of allergy (that is running nose and sneezing) almost after masturbation or even if i get night fall.
I am 100 % sure about it , if i dont do masturbation for say 7 - 10 days then i dont get cold (allergy that is running nose and sneezing) for that period of time .
Sneezing continously for 20-25 times is too much to handle for me .
Allergy last for 2-3 days if i dont take any medicine .
so i take anti allergy drug and get relive many times. is there any cure for it that is permanent .
i do heavy weight training everyday 7 days a week and i think this way i get some relive and i am fit and i dont get tried after doing workouts .
mine age is 29 years and i never involved in sex till now .
i want to ask if i get married and do sex then also will i get same
thing, if yes that will be a problem as i cant do much in a week.
Is there name for this disease or what it is called .

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17691 on: 27/01/2013 13:47:06 »
I only get allergy and it converts to cold or cough after sometime after masturbation or night fall.Also problem is sneezing continously for 20-25 times or even more , no other problem is this POIS.

i get cold that is in the form of allergy (that is running nose and sneezing) almost after masturbation or even if i get night fall.
I am 100 % sure about it , if i dont do masturbation for say 7 - 10 days then i dont get cold (allergy that is running nose and sneezing) for that period of time .
so i take anti allergy drug and get relive many times. is there any cure for it that is permanent .
i do heavy weight training everyday 7 days a week and i think this way i get some relive and i am fit and i dont get tried after doing workouts .

Hi,
Welcome to the board.

You may have POIS or Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome. POIS, as we understand it, is a syndrome that affects some people after they have an orgasm by making them feel ill. However, different sufferers have different symptoms. Some have mainly headaches and cognitive problems. Some have more flu-like symptoms. Some feel more fatigue than others.
It may not be a single disease and therefore there may not be a single cure.

As your symptoms are mostly allergic, have you been to your doctor to discuss allergies?
Your doctor may be able to refer you to a specific allergic or immunologist who can
1) perform tests
2) prescribe medication that may help you deal with itching, sinus problems etc.

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #17692 on: 27/01/2013 16:47:40 »
Hi, Just an update. 

After stopping of calcium channel blocker (as it increases my weight), after one weak, my POIS is back.  As per my doctor, I require to take calcium channel blcoker for a longer period, but its side effects are severe. 

Suggestion from my end is it stops almost all symptoms of POIS, but increases weight rapidly.  Hence, if any one has lower weight, they can try this medicine. 

Alternatively, I am searching for other herbal medicines,  I read one article about Swarna Bhasma (Gold medicine).  Please refer http://rasalinga.net/en/rasalinganet/41-swarna-bhasma-nanopowder.html    Whether any body has tried this.  this said to be most natural medicine for all diseases.  Pl see this refer and advise, whether we can take this. 

Offline aks020

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17693 on: 27/01/2013 18:17:17 »

Hi,
Welcome to the board.

You may have POIS or Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome. POIS, as we understand it, is a syndrome that affects some people after they have an orgasm by making them feel ill. However, different sufferers have different symptoms. Some have mainly headaches and cognitive problems. Some have more flu-like symptoms. Some feel more fatigue than others.

As your symptoms are mostly allergic, have you been to your doctor to discuss allergies?
Your doctor may be able to refer you to a specific allergic or immunologist who can
1) perform tests
2) prescribe medication that may help you deal with itching, sinus problems etc.

i dont get any itching , what is sinus , i get only allergy which converts into cough or cold after some days. yes i do take allergy tablet and sometimes it works but sometimes not
thanks
« Last Edit: 27/01/2013 18:24:34 by aks020 »

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #17694 on: 27/01/2013 18:23:19 »
This is a slight segue, but I want to share some cool things I've been reading in a pop science book that I've been reading recently: "An Epidemic of Absence: A New Way of Undserstanding Allergies and Autoimmune Diseases" by Moises Velasquez-Manoff.  It seeks to explore the growing body of evidence behind what is being called the "hygiene hypothesis": that a lack of early childhood exposure to infectious agents, symbiotic microorganisms (e.g., gut flora or probiotics), and parasites increases susceptibility to allergic diseases by suppressing natural development of the immune system.

It's really quite compelling.  From the book: "Westernization [has] had limited exposure to a variety of microbes that either directly colonized the gut or simply passed through it.  And the microbial impoverishment predisposed Westernized populations to allergic disease." The idea behind this is that we humans couldn't totally eliminate outside, alien organisms from attacking, living on, or using our bodies, so we co-evolved with them. Our immune systems began to operate on the assumption we were going to have constant "guests" living in our bodies, and that constant immune response towards them was going to be detrimental in the long run.  This is then thought to have given microorganisms and parasites an important function in our bodies: to help regulate the immune system by tempering its fury.  And there are studies cited in the book showing that more regulatory T cells (T-regs) are present when parasites/microbes are in the body.

Generally speaking, people with autoimmune and allergic diseases have a dearth of, or dysfunction in, these regulatory T cells.  In an evolutionary context, genes that predispose to autoimmune disease evolved in a radically different environment than today's, one with multiple chronic infections - worms, malaria, tuberculosis - and a relative glut of T-regs.  When you remove those environmental stimuli, the regulatory aspects they induced subside.  But the idiosyncrasies encoded in our genes remain fixed.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2172/10/5

A scientist named Rick Maizels coined the term allelic rheostats to describe these gene variants - alleles that tweak aspects of immune function, but that, in absence of infection, are "likely to overshoot," and cause autoimmune and allergic disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2736671/ - Parasite immunomodulation

The author says, "No matter who we are, we evolved with many more parasites and commensals, both large and small, than we generally encounter today.  The implication - and let's face it, the hope - is that reestablishing contact with some of these organisms can rebalance the immune system."

The author has numerous autoimmune problems, and details his journey to have hookworms implanted in his body to boldly put his own beliefs to the test.  It's a great read.  I thought I'd mention this here, since we are talking about hystamine, allergy, and immune response and I've never seen such an original hypothesis as the author presents in this book!

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17695 on: 27/01/2013 18:58:16 »

Hi,
Welcome to the board.

1) perform tests

i dont get any itching , what is sinus , i get only allergy which converts into cough or cold after some days. yes i do take allergy tablet and sometimes it works but sometimes not
thanks

What allergy tablets are you taking?
Doctors sometimes prescribe ketotifen or  leukotriene receptor antagonists for allergies when anti-histamines don't work effectively. I'd give you brand names but these are now "blacklisted terms" of the forum.
Ask your doctor about it? If they don't know then perhaps they could refer you to a specialist.

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17696 on: 28/01/2013 08:10:38 »
THROAWAY

Congrats  on dealing with your copper problem.  Most here are in  denial  still.
 Here is  a very  simplified  way to get rid of  this  once and for all/
The reason for POIS  is the weakness of your immune system or  super  reaction of it.
Adrenal gland pumps cortisol  which increases copper and depletes zinc.  This is the first stage of chronic stage/
Second stage is  when you are  copper toxic and  copper  suppresses  cortisol  which is exaustion  stage/
To see whether you are copper toxic or  copper deficient  look at your ferritin  levels,  if you are  over 200 you are deficient if they are under 50 you are  toxic/    Copper  is very important in methylation(Transfer of methyl group from methyltetrahydrofolate to homocysteine to generate methionine for the methylation cycle and tetrahydrofolate for purine synthesis) 

Why  does this  happen?      either you are born with it and got the imbalance from your mother/  Or  you have gut problems, which causes  extra  cortisol pump(   you probaby took antibiotics or had an infection of some sort)

Your gut is very weak  and  adrenal gland  is trying hard to support your immune system , Let it rest   /

TO do this  do  probiotic  retention enemas or  do   fecal transplant. For people who are deficient in  copper , POIS will be gone  in 1 week/   It will lower your cortisol levels,  your thyroid will start working,   your dopamine serotonin ratio wil be fixed/
Kurtosis, copper  increases   conversion of dopamine to  noradrenaline( I wont post links , find it yourself  , you seem to be  good at this)
For people who are toxic  in  copper ,   do the  enemas  but also  take  malic acid  and B , C  vitamins   and a lot of zinc  with manganese,    that extra copper  killed your  metabolism/  YOU will  feel like sh1t  at first  and  anxiety  will be crazy  but it will pass in a week/

Restore your guts  and  restore the balance between glands/

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #17697 on: 28/01/2013 08:35:57 »
@ German:  For restore of this POIS, what tablets I required to take.  Pl guide. 

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17698 on: 28/01/2013 09:19:55 »
Nathan,  contact me on my e-mail.  I will give you my skype. and I will try to help you ....There is no magic pill for this/   All  that  calcium  channel blocker  did for you is block your thyroid which lowered  cortisol...Contact me, I will try to  lead you thru this on daily basis.  If you contacted me before and I did not answer  means I  missed your e-mail or  I am still working on your case/

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #17699 on: 28/01/2013 11:07:18 »
Hi all,

Herman, your theory is interesting as for me the problem is definitly systemic; its not only an effect/cause matter(like an allergy)...it's linked with orgasm, but it's not the only factor.

How did you find out about all that ? are you a doc ? A scientist ?

Your theory seems easy to verify ; I take cooper suplementation(max dose)...If I get worse or better, it's linked to copper and I know what to do ; What you think ?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17699 on: 28/01/2013 11:07:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums