The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6457373 times)

Offline gondal4

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #17700 on: 28/01/2013 12:00:24 »
can taking anti histamine tablet  after or before O effects POIS

Offline Joe Burger

• First timers
    • View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome - antihistamine treatment
« Reply #17701 on: 28/01/2013 12:02:25 »
Back story:  I'm a "textbook" sufferer - Wikipedia's POIS entry could have been written for me. 

Last April I saw Dr. Goldmeier in London, who prescribed an antihistamine called Xyzal (levocetirizine dihydrochloride).  This belongs to a group that is less likely to cause drowsiness than older antihistamines.  A single 5mg. tablet taken an hour or two before sex relieved my symptoms, but left me fairly drowsy the following day - nothing that a few stiff coffees and a siesta couldn't sort out - but it affected my sleep cycle.  Whilst it was a big improvement, it wasn't an ideal remedy.

Recently I saw my GP and asked to try a different non-drowsy antihistamine.  He prescribed desloratadine ratiopharm 5mg.  A single tab, again taken an hour beforehand, relieved my symptoms 100%, and did not leave me at all drowsy - in fact I ran around the next day as if my tail was on fire.  The second time was similar.  Needless to say I am completely delighted!  I didn't feel a single side-effect. 

As a word of caution I would point out that I have only tried this twice, but anticipate that it will continue to work as well in the future.

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #17702 on: 28/01/2013 13:58:26 »
High daily doses of Zinc and Vitamin B6 completely solved the problem for me. Please look up "Pyroluria" on Google. There's plenty of writing on the matter.

POIS was a symptom of Pyroluria for me (there are other symptoms, and POIS isn't traditionally one of them). It is very straightforward to try the supplements and see if it works.

I take 150mg Zn and about 200mg Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) every single day. If I "O", I take 50mg Zn and 80mg B6 an hour two after (on top of my daily regular does).

My POIS symptoms were:
1. Sore throat and pain in tonsils (usually right one)
2. Blood shot eyes
3. Brain fog
4. Irritability
5. Fatigue and weakness

Every one of these symptoms is gone now. I do still get bloodshot eyes if I don't take the extra Zinc and B6 about 1 to 2 hours after I "O". Once I take them (say 4 hours after), the bloodshot eyes go away. No other symptoms show up even if I skip this extra dose as long as I'm taking my daily dose (150mg Zn and 200mg B6).

To repeat, look up "Pyroluria" on Google and just try the higher doses of Zn and B6 supplements. If you don't see improvements quickly (a day or two), then this may not be the solution for you. For those that it does work for, I think it will work very quickly and will be obvious that it is a solution for you.

Good luck.

I had a look on Pyroluria...its interesting ; I definitly fit the B6 deficiency symtoms, not that much for the zinc ones.The thing is ; can Pyroluria be sporadic ? Pois is definitly sporadic

Just a few more questions : How long have you been testing this regimen ? Did you have cognitive symptoms that made difficult any profesional or social relations(especialy comparated to situation you are POIS free)? Did orgasm or even sexual activities triggered symtoms ?

thanks

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17703 on: 28/01/2013 16:29:57 »
 Pyroluria is  copper / zinc imbalance 

So is POIS. 

This is also imbalance between adrenal and thyroid/    Low histamine levels   high copper,    high histamine low copper.
High ferritin  relatively   low copper,,  low ferritin high copper.   

Lacosse,  it is better to try high  zinc dosage.  most people are high in copper.

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17704 on: 28/01/2013 16:35:12 »
LAPOISSE

if you are copper toxic,  and you take zinc  you will  feel like   so shitty it is not even funny.   That is why  most people  dont go thru it/     If they  go by how they feel.   Copper will be dumped in the blood and  it will make  your mind race . and anxiety will go up big time /   That is why   for first week, it will feel bad and  then boom and your energy  skyrockets.
More complicated when you are copper deficient...Since   adrenal place  a part in it  big time, that is why you ahve to  take stress off adrenal, let it make more  ceruplasmin  and take on the copper. or   take   bound  copper if you  kind find that.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17705 on: 28/01/2013 16:55:09 »
Nightingale, the hygiene hypothesis and helminthic therapy are very interesting. I wish doctors would be more open minded about it.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17706 on: 28/01/2013 17:56:22 »
Gbolduev, I've read that zinc can decrease copper absorption and utilization, but the way I see it that would increase bio-unavailable copper and make a copper toxicity problem worse. Does zinc also somehow neutralize free unavailable copper in the body or help rid the system of it somehow?
« Last Edit: 28/01/2013 17:58:00 by Vincent M »

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17707 on: 28/01/2013 18:15:38 »
Vincent  M

Zinc and copper and iron compete in the gut /  Also they are direct antogonists in  the tissues/

Zinc /copper ratio is very important,     zinc  is more associated with progesterone and copper with estrogen...Also  Zinc and copper  is  thyroid  ratio. zinc increases pottasium in the cell  making   thyroid hormones more sensitive to the cell  and   copper lowers it.    Cortisol  is connected with progesterone .  And  depletes zinc  by which  increases copper levels for the immune response

I hope this helps

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17708 on: 28/01/2013 18:16:16 »
I found an old study from 1989 that seems to show how glutathione(GSH) might be helpful for copper toxicity:

"Cellular copper metabolism and the mechanism of resistance to copper toxicity were investigated using a wild type hepatoma cell line (HAC) and a copper-resistant cell line (HAC600) that accumulates copper and has a highly elevated level of metallothionein (MT). Of the enzymes involved in reactive oxygen metabolism, only glutathionine peroxidase was elevated (3-4-fold) in resistant cells, suggestive of an increase in the cellular flux of hydrogen peroxide. A majority of the cytoplasmic copper (greater than 60%) was isolated from both cell lines as a GSH complex. Kinetic studies of 67Cu uptake showed that GSH bound 67Cu before the metal was complexed by MT. Depletion of cellular GSH with buthionine sulfoximine inhibited the incorporation of 67Cu into MT by greater than 50%. These results support a model of copper metabolism in which the metal is complexed by GSH soon after entering the cell. The complexed metal is then transferred to MT where it is stored. This study also indicates that resistance to metal toxicity in copper-resistant hepatoma cells is due to increases in both cellular GSH and MT. Furthermore, it is suggested that elevated levels of GSH peroxidase allows cells to more efficiently accommodate an increased cellular hydrogen peroxide flux that may occur as a consequence of elevated levels of cytoplasmic copper."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2564391

I think the best way to raise glutathione levels is to take N-acetylcysteine. What do you think of this, Herman?
« Last Edit: 28/01/2013 18:21:55 by Vincent M »

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17709 on: 28/01/2013 19:14:50 »
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) is a synthetic version of Cysteine that is rapidly converted to the amino acid Cysteine. NAC supplements are moderately effective, but dosing is limited due to the toxic side effects (such as headaches, dizziness, blurred vision) associated with Cysteine Supplementation. NAC decreases Zinc, so supplementing with additional zinc and copper is recommended along with Vitamin C to prevent the Cysteine from converting to Cysteine, which can form kidney and bladder stones.

Recent Study on NAC:
According to recent research at The University of Virginia, N-Acetyl-Cysteine forms a red blood cell derived molecule that makes blood vessels think they are not getting enough oxygen. This leads to pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH), a serious condition characterized by high blood pressure in the arteries that carry blood to the lungs. The results appeared in the September 2009 issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17710 on: 28/01/2013 19:48:23 »
Copper-treatment increases the cellular GSH content and accelerates GSH export from cultured rat astrocytes.
Ivo F Scheiber, Ralf Dringen
Center for Biomolecular Interactions Bremen, University of Bremen, D-28334 Bremen, Germany.
To test whether copper exposure affects astroglial glutathione (GSH) metabolism, we have exposed astrocyte-rich primary cultures with copper chloride in concentrations of up to 30 μM and investigated cellular and extracellular GSH contents. Cultured astrocytes accumulated copper in a concentration-dependent manner thereby increasing the specific cellular copper content within 24h up to sevenfold. The increase in the cellular copper content was accompanied by a proportional increase in the specific cellular GSH content that reached up to 165% of the values of cells that had been incubated without copper, while the low cellular content of GSH disulfide (GSSG) remained unaltered in copper-treated cells. Also the rate of GSH export was significantly increased after copper exposure reaching up to 177% of control values. The export of GSH from control and copper-treated astrocytes was lowered by more than 70%, if cells were incubated in presence of the multidrug-resistance protein (Mrp) 1 inhibitor MK571 or at a low incubation temperature of 4C. These data demonstrate that copper accumulation stimulates GSH synthesis and accelerates Mrp1-mediated GSH export from cultured astrocytes. These processes are likely to contribute to the resistance of astrocytes against copper toxicity and could improve the supply of GSH precursors from astrocytes to neurons.

also interesting   done in 2011

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17711 on: 28/01/2013 23:26:41 »
Hi Herman, are you able to have as many orgasms as you want (without any pois symptoms) now that you're cured? Thanks! It's very interesting & I enjoy reading your posts.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17712 on: 29/01/2013 00:34:08 »
I can't find a reliable source that says N-acetylcysteine decreases zinc. I looked at the website you got that info from and they do list some of their sources, but not the source for that fact.

I found a source that seems to say that isn't true(at least not at normal supplemental doses):

"N-Acetylcysteine (NAC) is known to decrease the exacerbation rate in patients with chronic bronchitis. It has also been shown that NAC has both an oxygen-radical scavenger and a heavy-metal chelating effect in high intravenous doses. In a study lasting 5 weeks, 10 healthy volunteers were treated with NAC 200 mg t. d. s. for two weeks. The concentrations of trace metals (Ca, Mg, Fe, Zn & Cu) in plasma were measured weekly and daily in a morning spot urine during the investigation.
No significant change in plasma concentration or excretion was found during the two weeks of treatment, implying that additional administration of trace metals is unnecessary for patients treated perorally with a therapeutic dose of NAC."
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02657052?LI=true
« Last Edit: 29/01/2013 03:42:46 by Vincent M »

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17713 on: 29/01/2013 05:11:07 »
Hi,

I found a few sources that say NAC decreases zinc. They are: http://www.advance-health.com/nacetylcysteine.html (look under N-acetylcysteine Chelates Heavy Metals), http://www.herbs2000.com/h_menu/nac.htm ("N-acetyl cysteine also augments emission of zinc as well as additional essential minerals when it is taken for a prolonged period of time."), and http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/meds/n-acetylcysteine.htm ("NAC has been studied for use as a means of treating heavy metal exposure. If it works to pull those metals out, maybe with long-term use it could pull out other body metals, like copper or zinc").

I don't know how reliable those sources are, but there are others too.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17714 on: 29/01/2013 05:54:44 »
None those sources are reliable or cite any scientific studies. I think it only decreases zinc when it's injected in higher than normal amounts, but I guess it's not a big thing to worry about.
« Last Edit: 29/01/2013 05:56:55 by Vincent M »

Offline gondal4

• View Profile
« Reply #17715 on: 29/01/2013 14:56:06 »
no one wants to reply to me but i will keep asking :-'(...can taking anti histamine tablet  after or before O effects POIS

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #17716 on: 29/01/2013 15:08:39 »
no one wants to reply to me but i will keep asking :-'(...can taking anti histamine tablet  after or before O effects POIS

I have found some benefit from taking antihistamines before O, so I take some before each time

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #17717 on: 29/01/2013 17:35:16 »
I've tried anti histamine few times before and after ; Really difficult to say if it has any benefit ; POIS is not always the same intensity ; Anyways, nothing magik ;

I'll try the copper thing taking Zinc and B6 ; my feritin is quite low...i'll see

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17718 on: 29/01/2013 18:03:30 »

Some of our members have been helped by antihistamines, myself included. Claritin (Loratadine) seems to have helped the most POIS members. If you take it you should take it about an hour before orgasm.

However I've recently read about some people getting joint pain from Claritin and other antihistamines so I have stopped taking them for now.

My treatment summary: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513
« Last Edit: 29/01/2013 18:35:15 by Vincent M »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17719 on: 29/01/2013 21:40:52 »
Nightingale, the hygiene hypothesis and helminthic therapy are very interesting. I wish doctors would be more open minded about it.

Here's an article in a similar vein.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/how-to-stop-attacking-you_b_657395.html
One of the things he mentions is treating yeast infections. If you have obvious yeast infections (I'm thinking recurring penile thrush for example) you have to get it treated. If it keeps coming back and your partner doesn't have it then your doctor hasn't treated it successfully.
There are better drugs now for dealing with systemic fungal infections & no, I'm not saying POIS is candidiasis. 

Offline gondal4

• View Profile
« Reply #17720 on: 30/01/2013 07:57:31 »
can we ejaculate while peeing? and can we get POIS from this or can we get POIS from pre ejaulate or semen???please reply this is my big fear while peeing

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #17721 on: 30/01/2013 15:28:31 »
can we ejaculate at the same time as peeing?  Nope, I've never been able to do that.  I do those 2 functions separately.... Kinda like shnapping.  Shitting and Taking a nap.  You can do one and then the other, but you can't really do them both at the same time

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #17722 on: 30/01/2013 16:24:06 »
+1 for shnapping

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17723 on: 30/01/2013 20:15:48 »
Daniel,

I think it happens  when there is  sperm in the urine.  May be that is what he meant.   When you pee , sperm comes out.   
If that happened to him, he needs to go to a doctor and get it treated  .. Usually this is  the result of severe overmasturbation.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17724 on: 31/01/2013 09:42:25 »
Seminal fluid in the urine can be caused by prostatitis

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17724 on: 31/01/2013 09:42:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums