The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6447062 times)

Offline urano75

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #17875 on: 07/03/2013 13:08:16 »
Hi urano75,

It does sound like you have POIS.  POIS is a strange thing, it can occur immediately with the onset of puberty (like for myself) or later in life ( like it seems for you).  I can tell immediately that you have been through a rough time.  Know that you are not alone in dealing with the symptoms of this and the depression it can often bring.  I have had a life-altering battle with it, but things changed a lot for me after finding this community.

I hope you can find some relief :)  I didn't quite catch, have you tried to induce a niacin flush before orgasm?  That's usually effective in reducing symptoms, and has helped me regain my sanity!

Welcome :)

So, yesterday evening I had a try with niacin before orgasm. I took 500mg of niacin 3 hours after dinner, which I understand are quite a bit, and didn't have a flush in the next hour. I didn't have a flush for the rest of the night actually. This was somewhat ironic, as I normally have flushes each time I take niacin on a full stomach, even though unpredictably few hours later. I did my thing anyway to see what happened even with no flush. Maybe symptoms are a bit less than average today, but I still feel muscular pains, weakness and some lack of motivation. I can't say yet if it really helps, this requires further experimentation.

I've read a lot on poiscenter about niacin and niacinamide but I'm new to this subject and am probably missing something, so I have some questions for the group:

- Has the mechanism of why niacin works for many with POIS symptoms been understood or at least guessed? What's the percentage of folks here which benefit from niacin, and what is likely to be their weak link?
- Specifically in my case, given my history of hypoadrenia, allergies and depression, it is likely I am high histamine, undermethylating and low dopamine/serotonin: is niacin supposed to help in this situation, or would it make it worse?
- Is it necessary to wait for a flush before O to make it effective, or is it only a signal to be sure that niacin has saturated? If the flush occurs in an unpredictable amount of time, or it never occurs as it happened yesterday, it might hard to manage, how to make it happen approximately at a wanted time?
- Does regularly using a full complex of B vitamins as I do interfere with the effectiveness of niacin for preventing POIS symptoms?

Many thanks!
Andrea

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17876 on: 07/03/2013 15:42:51 »
urano75, in my case I need to experience the flush before an "o" in order to get POIS relief. If I'm using freshly bought niacin less than a month old I can get a flush with 200mg if I haven't eaten for more than 10 hours. If the niacin is several months old I need 500mg or 600mg to get a flush after a 10 hour fast. I only experience symptom relief after a full night sleep and the relief comes in the form of increased endurance and reduced joint pain during exercise. I haven't noticed any benefit outside of increasing my ability to exercise, but I've only tried it maybe 7 times total. I wasn't taking any other vitamins at the time so I don't know if that would affect it.

500mg is a lot to try the first time. Some of our members have had intensely unpleasant flushes at that level. If you try it again with a fast I think you shouldn't go over 100 or 200mg just to be safe. Also taking niacin first thing in the morning before breakfast increases the chance of flush even greater than a 10 hr fast while awake for me at least.

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #17877 on: 07/03/2013 16:11:35 »
urano75, in my case I need to experience the flush before an "o" in order to get POIS relief. If I'm using freshly bought niacin less than a month old I can get a flush with 200mg if I haven't eaten for more than 10 hours. If the niacin is several months old I need 500mg or 600mg to get a flush after a 10 hour fast. I only experience symptom relief after a full night sleep and the relief comes in the form of increased endurance and reduced joint pain during exercise. I haven't noticed any benefit outside of increasing my ability to exercise, but I've only tried it maybe 7 times total. I wasn't taking any other vitamins at the time so I don't know if that would affect it.

500mg is a lot to try the first time. Some of our members have had intensely unpleasant flushes at that level. If you try it again with a fast I think you shouldn't go over 100 or 200mg just to be safe. Also taking niacin first thing in the morning before breakfast increases the chance of flush even greater than a 10 hr fast while awake for me at least.

It's possible then that my niacin is not so fresh, I used to take 500mg of it months before (not for this particular reason) and had manageable flushes. I'll try and experiment with a new batch of smaller capsules. 10 hours fast is pretty much... Anyway I understand the main point is getting a flush, whatever the required dose.
I have some niacinamide (about 250mg daily) in my B-complex, that's possibly why my body is used to it and I require a larger dose of niacin to get a flush...
I also wonder if other methylating factors I'm taking might have an influence on the required dose. I take many things for many different reasons.
I understand niacin helps you with some physical symptoms, are there things it doesn't help you with?
Do you use other remedies for different issues?

Thanks!
Andrea

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #17878 on: 07/03/2013 16:19:59 »
Vincent M, nevermind, I've just found a link to your treatment summary in your profile...
I'll read it thouroughly, unless you have anything to add here.
Sorry for asking already available info, I'm new and discover new pieces of info at any time.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17879 on: 08/03/2013 13:23:29 »
It's quite alright. Niacin doesn't seem to help my cognitive symptoms at all, but the others who have benefited from it have reported it reduces cognitive impairment due to POIS.

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #17880 on: 08/03/2013 17:52:28 »
While I'm going to experiment with Niacin following the rules you guys kindly suggested, I want to share with you my current supplementation/meds program.
It's a long one, not only oriented to adrenals/thyroid support but it covers all the basics, plus things I take for specific reasons and added up in time, plus things I've taken for awhile but I don't need anymore.
Just want to point out that I don't take all this stuff independently, but work with few health practitioners and MD's to decide what I need.

I post it for some reasons:
1) I want to share the many things that helped (or in some cases didn't help) in the last couple of years to raise from a state of depression, low-grade chronic infections, adrenal exhaustion and underactive thyroid (just in case anyone is coping with any of these conditions)
2) I want to check with you if there are things you don't see in the list and I should definitively try to help with outstanding POIS symptoms
3) I want to ask if you think that any of this stuff could interfere with niacin's effectiveness for POIS relief, or can in some way hinder a potential solution of POIS symptoms

- Thyroid Hormones (T3):

35mcgT3@4AM+20mcgT3@11AM+20mcgT3@6PM (total 75mcg per day)

- Adrenal support:

Pregnenolone 50mg
Ashwagandha/Phytisone complex (adaptogenics herbs) complex 3*2cps
Adrenergize (adrenal cortex extract) 2cps

- Aminos:

L-Tyrosine 2*3g (AM, noon)
5-HTP 100mg
MSM 3*3000mg
N-Acetyl-Cysteine 1000mg
L-Lysine   2*1g
L-Methionine 500mg

- Minerals:

Magnesium (citrate) 1000mg
Zinc (gluconate) 2*50mg
Copper (gluconate) 5mg
Chromium (picolinate) 500mcg
Selenium 200mcg
Humic & Fulvic Acids (liquid organic minerals)

- Vitamins:

B Complex - 2 cps, each one containing:

Thiamin (as Thiamin HCl) 110 mg.
   Riboflavin (as Riboflavin 5'-Phosphate Sodium) 10 mg.
   Niacin (130 mg as Niacinamide and 10 mg as Niacin) 140 mg.
   Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxal 5'-Phosphate) 10 mg.
   Folate (as L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate from L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic Acid, Glucosamine Salt) 400 mcg.
   Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin) 400 mcg.
   Biotin 400 mcg.
   Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium Pantothenate) 110 mg.
   Choline Citrate 80 mg.

Vit. B5 3*3000mg
P-5-P 3*50mg

Vit. A 10000UI
Vit. C 3*1000mg + Citrus bioflavonoids
Vit. D3 5000UI
Vit. E (mixed tocopherols) 400mg
Vit. K2 (MK-7) 2*100mcg

- Others:

Ubiquinol 2*50mg
Lipoic Acid 2*300mg
Fish Oil 2*1000mg
Krill Oil 2*1000mg
Curcumin+Bioperine 3*1000mg
Stinging Nettles root extract 2*500mg
Quercetine 2*1g

Probiotics (as needed)
Digestive enzymes (every meal)

Zeolite (for chelating heavy metals)

- Things I'm going to add soon:

Niacin (when needed)
TMG
Mucuna Pruriens
Fenugreek+Garlic?

- Things I used to take in the last couple of years and not using now or dropped for several different reasons:

DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine)
Isocort
7-Keto-DHEA
Seriphos (Phosphatidylserine)
Deer Antler Velvet
Melatonin
AKG-Arginine
Iodine (liquid)
Coral Calcium
Megafood Bloobuilder (iron+C+B12+folate+beetroot)
Kelp tablets
Cat's claw
Berberine
Bentonite clay

- Meds used when necessary:
fexofenadine (the least effective dose for calming seasonal allergy)

- Meds I used in the past (and hopefully won't need anymore):
fluoxetine (for 11 years with few breaks, up to a couple of years ago)

I'll post it also in poiscenter, as well as my history.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2013 10:01:16 by urano75 »

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17881 on: 08/03/2013 19:37:12 »
That's an interesting. It's much more than I take. I found pregnenolone alone was enough to give me a notable boost in mood and energy so I have not idea what all that would do to me :)

Some of this supplementation is at cross purposes however. If you supplement methionine you're actually encouraging your body to make less methionine (probably via the SAM-e rate limiting) whereas taking methylfolate and methylcobalamin should increase the natural production and recycling of methionine.
Supplementing Methionine and SAM-e made me feel good (most of the time) but I get the same effect but just exploiting the methylation cycle and taking methyl folate.

BTW I had an O a few minutes ago and I feel fine. I've been trying to explain to people that I really am feeling a hell of a lot better.

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #17882 on: 08/03/2013 20:15:57 »
That's an interesting. It's much more than I take. I found pregnenolone alone was enough to give me a notable boost in mood and energy so I have not idea what all that would do to me :)

Some of this supplementation is at cross purposes however. If you supplement methionine you're actually encouraging your body to make less methionine (probably via the SAM-e rate limiting) whereas taking methylfolate and methylcobalamin should increase the natural production and recycling of methionine.
Supplementing Methionine and SAM-e made me feel good (most of the time) but I get the same effect but just exploiting the methylation cycle and taking methyl folate.

BTW I had an O a few minutes ago and I feel fine. I've been trying to explain to people that I really am feeling a hell of a lot better.
Thanks K.

Pregnenolone has been one of the best hits for me, but clearly not enough. T3 has been the next step forward.

I've reintroduced methionine recently, hoping that it could help decreasing histamine especially now during allergic season and increasing methylation in general (more dopamine, serotonine...). That's why I'm going to add TMG as well (which I understand you have in your program as well). That would help recycling methionine I guess, and increase methylation. Methyl-folate and methyl-cobalamine are already part of my B-complex. Adding methionine and supporting its recycling should potentiate it all, do I understand correctly? I used SAM-e in the past, it lifted my depression a bit at that time but unfortunately not enough. Also it's expensive and easily degraded.

I'm not sure how extra niacin will fit in this picture. If it's good to take it regularly (besides what's already in my B-complex), or try it just before an O.

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #17883 on: 08/03/2013 21:37:17 »
For those who have flu-like symptoms 1-2 days after an O like me.

Are you able to determine if they are a consequence of a real viral infection (flu-like), even with no fever?
In other words, is it possible that for some people immune system is somehow temporary weakened after an O and this eventually "opens the gates" to infections?
This is pretty much my feeling, but it could obviously be hardly proved and verified. I know that most of my clear infective episodes (generally viral at the beginning, bacterial eventually) are initiated or aggravated by sexual activity. It's been like this for 20 years. I feel that my POIS symptoms are like small viral infections resolved in 2-3 days, and reoccurring at the next episode.

Alternatively, immune system has in my case an inflammatory response which makes my muscles sore and weak (exactly like flu does) even though there is no virus around, which can be of allergic or autoimmune nature.

Not sure if it can make a difference practically speaking, but was curious if anyone ever had the same thoughts...

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #17884 on: 09/03/2013 15:56:39 »
Excellent report of your past and current treatments, urano.

There's been a lot of discussion over the years here about possible causes of POIS including bacterial/viral or autoimmune causes. The way I see it there probably isn't one root cause that's the same for everyone. Hypothetically one person could have a nutritional deficiency or imbalance that lead to an imbalance in hormones which then somehow caused POIS. Another might have been sensitive to an environmental pollutant which damaged their immune system causing an abnormal autoimmune response to some component of semen. There's a lot of different possibilities.

For myself I'm fairly certain I have a lot of inflammation or nerve sensitivity after an O, but I'm not sure what could be causing that. Also since I feel better with drugs that work on gaba and dopamine receptors it could be some sort of neurotransmitter depletion. For all I know just the quantity of semen I'm ejaculating could be draining nutrients or energy from elsewhere in my body.

But I don't think of my symptoms as flu-like since during a flu all I get is nausea, which I never get from POIS.
« Last Edit: 09/03/2013 16:00:14 by Vincent M »

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #17885 on: 09/03/2013 17:41:02 »
Excellent report of your past and current treatments, urano.

There's been a lot of discussion over the years here about possible causes of POIS including bacterial/viral or autoimmune causes. The way I see it there probably isn't one root cause that's the same for everyone. Hypothetically one person could have a nutritional deficiency or imbalance that lead to an imbalance in hormones which then somehow caused POIS. Another might have been sensitive to an environmental pollutant which damaged their immune system causing an abnormal autoimmune response to some component of semen. There's a lot of different possibilities.

For myself I'm fairly certain I have a lot of inflammation or nerve sensitivity after an O, but I'm not sure what could be causing that. Also since I feel better with drugs that work on gaba and dopamine receptors it could be some sort of neurotransmitter depletion. For all I know just the quantity of semen I'm ejaculating could be draining nutrients or energy from elsewhere in my body.

But I don't think of my symptoms as flu-like since during a flu all I get is nausea, which I never get from POIS.

Vincent M, I could add more cofactors to the mentioned ones: chronic inflammation, Lyme disease, heavy metals poisoning, leaky gut syndrome, candida/yeast infections, EMF sensitiviness.... possibly this is the top of many different icebergs.

As to me:

I know I have adrenals and secondarily thyroid issues --> work in progress
I know I had a poor gut status 2 years ago (disbiosis, yeast, mold) --> cleared and under control
I know I had nutritional deficiencies, and likely malabsorption (I'm way too skinny) --> after 2 years of heavy and full supplementation that shouldn't be the main issue
I know have frequent viral infections, initiated or augmented by sexual acrivity --> current
I know I have dopamine depletion feelings after O. This, together with allergies and the fact I responded well to SSRI, probably places me in the category of undermethylators --> partially worked on this, but not systematically enough
I know I'm in need of chelating toxic elements (fluoride, arsenic) --> work in progress
Unfortunately there are so many things I don't know and have not had a chance to work on yet...
I do hope I'm among the ones who can benefit from niacin. I can't try it right now, still down from previous O...

Has anyone with autoimmune indicators tried LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone)?

Offline romies

• View Profile
« Reply #17886 on: 10/03/2013 01:39:06 »

Are you able to determine if they are a consequence of a real viral infection (flu-like), even with no fever?
In other words, is it possible that for some people immune system is somehow temporary weakened after an O and this eventually "opens the gates" to infections?
This is pretty much my feeling, but it could obviously be hardly proved and verified. I know that most of my clear infective episodes (generally viral at the beginning, bacterial eventually) are initiated or aggravated by sexual activity. It's been like this for 20 years. I feel that my POIS symptoms are like small viral infections resolved in 2-3 days, and reoccurring at the next episode.

Alternatively, immune system has in my case an inflammatory response which makes my muscles sore and weak (exactly like flu does) even though there is no virus around, which can be of allergic or autoimmune nature.

The flu-symptoms after an O when I was 17-21 were quite severe. It typically started with sore throat (24 hrs after an O). 50% of time it progressed to bronchitis or pneumonia (in 3-4 days), which took about 2-3 weeks to recover. These 50% severe cases usually result from multiple O's within a day or two. My hormone was raging as in the case of any teenager.

I am fairly certain in the first few days of flu-like symptoms, the infection is viral (no mucus, only dry cough, and not responding to antibiotics). It usually progress to bacterial infection after a week (lots of mucus, and responding to antibiotics very quickly).

One reason that I no longer progress into a full-blown viral/bacterial infection any more is that my weight is now normal. I was very skinny between 17-21, but had gained about 40lbs in my early 20s and those bronchitis/pneumonia stopped at that time.

I do think that my immune system is suppressed after an O for an unknown reason, in addition to the inflamation.

Offline meteo74

• View Profile
« Reply #17887 on: 10/03/2013 07:46:01 »
yes,urano75

for me thats true, my immune system is weakened after O, and I suffer from symptoms of flu-like.... and i treat my self with Antibiotic.
//you talk about me //

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #17888 on: 10/03/2013 09:43:51 »

The flu-symptoms after an O when I was 17-21 were quite severe. It typically started with sore throat (24 hrs after an O). 50% of time it progressed to bronchitis or pneumonia (in 3-4 days), which took about 2-3 weeks to recover. These 50% severe cases usually result from multiple O's within a day or two. My hormone was raging as in the case of any teenager.

I am fairly certain in the first few days of flu-like symptoms, the infection is viral (no mucus, only dry cough, and not responding to antibiotics). It usually progress to bacterial infection after a week (lots of mucus, and responding to antibiotics very quickly).

One reason that I no longer progress into a full-blown viral/bacterial infection any more is that my weight is now normal. I was very skinny between 17-21, but had gained about 40lbs in my early 20s and those bronchitis/pneumonia stopped at that time.

I do think that my immune system is suppressed after an O for an unknown reason, in addition to the inflamation.

Romies, our respective scenarios look somewhat matching. For years I've been catching viral infections, which eventually paved the way to bacterial superinfections. I eventually passed so many winters with continued bacterial (e.g. strep) infections at the upper respiratory ways never resolved. One difference was that my infections became in time more kind of chronic low-grade rather than full-blown, with no fever but really dragging me down. I was reluctant to use antibiotics for them, as I would have fallen back in the same situation few weeks after and in the meantime I would have messed up my gut.

In the last 2 years, with all the things I'm doing and taking, it's become less frequent to catch bacterial infections, especially in a chronic way, but I get viruses nonetheless. I feel that most of the times they're responsible for my flu-like symptoms, but I can't rule out the symptoms sometimes occur independently.

I think this is somehow related to adrenal weakness again. It's possible that my adrenals can't temporarily cope with the stress caused by an O, and eventually the immune system is weakened for awhile, e.g. because there is not enough cortisol around. It's possible that adrenals are depleted both by some kind of inflammatory/allergic process right after O, as they try to calm down the inflammation releasing more cortisol; or that they suffer from a temporary dopamine depletion which, for some reason (e.g. undermethylation), is not rapidly replaced.

I mention adrenals again because I tend to have low cortisol signs after an O (low blood sugar, postural hypotension, temp drops) as I do after other too exhausting activities. But I think that adrenals in my case are just a link that has weakened after years of infections, inflammation, allergies etc, so it's possible there's some other issues behind/besides them to be addressed.

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #17889 on: 10/03/2013 09:54:24 »
yes,urano75

for me thats true, my immune system is weakened after O, and I suffer from symptoms of flu-like.... and i treat my self with Antibiotic.
//you talk about me //

meteo74, if you respond consistently well to antibiotics, then you are regularly coping with bacterial infections, not viral. The problem with a regular use of antibiotics, as you will know, is that they cause dysbiosis and eventually candida/yeast/fungal infections in the gut, and further weaken the immune system, or expose to laky gut issues etc. So it's possible that you'll have to deal with these issues as well, and try to limit antibiotics to the strictly necessary, also to avoid developing resistant bacterial strains.
Alternatively to antibiotics, I sometimes use both colloidal silver and oil of oregano, maybe enough just gargling them for sore throat.

Offline romies

• View Profile
« Reply #17890 on: 10/03/2013 16:30:29 »
Andrea, what you said makes sense. Here are some my experiences that may be helpful.
Romies, our respective scenarios look somewhat matching. For years I've been catching viral infections, which eventually paved the way to bacterial superinfections. I eventually passed so many winters with continued bacterial (e.g. strep) infections at the upper respiratory ways never resolved. One difference was that my infections became in time more kind of chronic low-grade rather than full-blown, with no fever but really dragging me down. I was reluctant to use antibiotics for them, as I would have fallen back in the same situation few weeks after and in the meantime I would have messed up my gut.

Antibiotics is hard on my gut too. But I am able to manage it with probiotics and lots of yogurt (3x my usually daily portion) starting 2-3 days after the beginning of the antibiotics treatment. I usually do probiotics and yogurt until a week after the completion of antibiotics. that way my guy problem is minimized.

Fortunately,  I only need to do this infrequently (~ once every other year) and now the causes for antibiotics is usually unrelated to POIS.

I think this is somehow related to adrenal weakness again. It's possible that my adrenals can't temporarily cope with the stress caused by an O, and eventually the immune system is weakened for awhile, e.g. because there is not enough cortisol around. It's possible that adrenals are depleted both by some kind of inflammatory/allergic process right after O, as they try to calm down the inflammation releasing more cortisol; or that they suffer from a temporary dopamine depletion which, for some reason (e.g. undermethylation), is not rapidly replaced.

I mention adrenals again because I tend to have low cortisol signs after an O (low blood sugar, postural hypotension, temp drops) as I do after other too exhausting activities. But I think that adrenals in my case are just a link that has weakened after years of infections, inflammation, allergies etc, so it's possible there's some other issues behind/besides them to be addressed.

There may be something else other than cortisol. Cortisol is a known immune suppressor: the more cortisol you have, the less active your immune system is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol [nofollow]
So I suspect something else is at play here.

Offline romies

• View Profile
« Reply #17891 on: 10/03/2013 16:44:59 »
Again, here is my experience (high histamine, low dopamine, low serotonin person). Your mileage may vary.
- Has the mechanism of why niacin works for many with POIS symptoms been understood or at least guessed? What's the percentage of folks here which benefit from niacin, and what is likely to be their weak link?
Why exactly the flushing of niacin works is still unclear. Hypothesis involves Prostaglandin E2 generated during flushing.

Niacin/Niacinamide makes me worse: histamine will flare up (more heart burn, more nasal/eye allergy), probably because niacin soak up methyl group. Niacin does not help my POIS symptoms

- Specifically in my case, given my history of hypoadrenia, allergies and depression, it is likely I am high histamine, undermethylating and low dopamine/serotonin: is niacin supposed to help in this situation, or would it make it worse?
If we have similar histamine, dopamine, serotonin profile, my guess is that it will make you worse.
- Is it necessary to wait for a flush before O to make it effective, or is it only a signal to be sure that niacin has saturated? If the flush occurs in an unpredictable amount of time, or it never occurs as it happened yesterday, it might hard to manage, how to make it happen approximately at a wanted time?
This is a big problem with niacin flush method for me. My professional schedule does not allow me to fast for 4 hrs then wait for the flush before every O. too much overhead.

- Does regularly using a full complex of B vitamins as I do interfere with the effectiveness of niacin for preventing POIS symptoms?

Many thanks!
Andrea

I found my current POIS regimen only requires a few supplements -1hrs before an O, and a few supplements within +24hrs after an O. That's enough to relieve all symptoms.

I do adhere to a regular supplement regimen to improve my mental sharpness, but it does not help/hinder my POIS recovery.

Offline romies

• View Profile
« Reply #17892 on: 10/03/2013 16:59:06 »
I know I have dopamine depletion feelings after O. This, together with allergies and the fact I responded well to SSRI, probably places me in the category of undermethylators --> partially worked on this, but not systematically enough
I was on 5-htp daily to help the low mood after an O for a few years. But now I resolved it, 5-htp makes me very sedated, probably because excess 5-HT is converted to serotonin. Just be aware that 5-htp can be detrimental when you find a good regimen to recover from POIS

I know I'm in need of chelating toxic elements (fluoride, arsenic) --> work in progress
How did you find out you have high arsenic/fluoride level? Serum/Urine test or something else?
I do hope I'm among the ones who can benefit from niacin. I can't try it right now, still down from previous O...

i've found NADH 10mg + methyl-b9,b12 + Ginkgo is probably the most helpful thing to pull me out of POIS, even when you are already stuck in it.

my current POIS regimen

Pre-O      methyl-guard 400mcg, VC, Claritin
(1hr or a few minutes before O)

Post-org   (Zinc, Mg, P5p)all in 1-2 ZMA capsules + Ginkgo

Midnight  methyl x 1 + NADHx 10mg
(when I wake up to use bathroom in the middle of night)

NADH is to help boosting Bh4 level, which is a co-factor to generate dopamine, since it is the rate limiting step to convert tyrosine to L-PODA, and to convert Phenylalanine to tyrosine.
BH4 also helps in generating serotonin, since it is also rate-limiting in the tryptophan-> 5-htp convertion.

All of these help to reduce histamine, increase dopamine and serotonin levels.
check your pm please.
« Last Edit: 11/03/2013 05:43:19 by romies »

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #17893 on: 10/03/2013 22:58:09 »
There may be something else other than cortisol. Cortisol is a known immune suppressor: the more cortisol you have, the less active your immune system is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol
So I suspect something else is at play here.

There is definitively something more than cortisol in play. However keep in mind that, while cortisol is antiinflammatory and an immunosoppressor, it is also required to get enough sugar and thyroid hormones in the cells and eventually produce energy. Enough cortisol is needed for any cells to function. Low cortisol is associated to allergies, inflammation, autoimmunity and immune dysfunction in general. It is known that people with adrenal fatigue/insufficiency are more prone to infections than people with normal adrenal function.

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #17894 on: 10/03/2013 23:47:48 »

I was on 5-htp daily to help the low mood after an O for a few years. But now I resolved it, 5-htp makes me very sedated, probably because excess 5-HT is converted to serotonin. Just be aware that 5-htp can be detrimental when you find a good regimen to recover from POIS

When my serotonine was out of balance, and had to be corrected by SSRI, I was depressed, obsessive, inhibited, isolated, insecure. Now it's not the case anymore, even if I use small amounts of 5-HTP.
POIS gives me dopamine-deficiency symtpoms instead: fatigue, apathy...

I've sent you a pm about your regimen.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17895 on: 11/03/2013 14:53:56 »
NADH 10mg + methyl-b9,b12 + Ginkgo
Yes, that's similar to what I took initially. I rarely take the NADH now but it definitely worked for me. We both have GCH1 mutations, as you pointed out so I believe we're benefitting from the NADH recycling BH4 from BH2.I If this is correct then nicotinamide riboside (in milk and will be available as a separate supplement sometime this year perhaps) would have a similar effect.

BTW here's an interesting paper on methyl-donor consumption during pregnancy. It appears to boost the child's intelligence. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22686384

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17896 on: 11/03/2013 14:55:01 »
Here's my detox profile from genetic genie. (new test). It's based on my 23andme raw data.

CYP1A1*2C A4889G   rs1048943   CT   +/-
CYP1A1 m3 T3205C   rs4986883   TT   -/-
CYP1A1 C2453A   rs1799814   GG   -/-
CYP1A2 164A>C   rs762551   AC   +/-
CYP1B1 L432V   rs1056836   CG   +/-
CYP1B1 N453S   rs1800440   TT   -/-
CYP1B1 R48G   rs10012   CG   +/-
CYP2A6*2 1799T>A   rs1801272   AA   -/-
CYP2A6*20   rs28399444   II   -/-
CYP2C9*2 C430T   rs1799853   CC   -/-
CYP2C9*3 A1075C   rs1057910   AA   -/-
CYP2C19*17   rs12248560   TT   +/+
CYP2D6 S486T   rs1135840   CG   +/-
CYP2D6 100C>T   rs1065852   AG   +/-
CYP2D6 2850C>T   rs16947   GG   -/-
CYP2E1*1B 9896C>G   rs2070676   CG   +/-
CYP2E1*1B 10023G>A   rs55897648   GG   -/-
CYP2E1*4 4768G>A   rs6413419   GG   -/-
CYP3A4*1B   rs2740574   TT   -/-
CYP3A4*2 S222P   rs55785340   AA   -/-
CYP3A4*3 M445T   rs4986910   AA   -/-
CYP3A4*16 T185S   rs12721627   GG   -/-
GSTP1 I105V   rs1695   AA   -/-
GSTP1 A114V   rs1138272   CC   -/-
SOD2 A16V   rs4880   AG   +/-
NAT1 R187Q   rs4986782   GG   -/-
NAT1 R64W   rs1805158   CC   -/-
NAT2 I114T   rs1801280   TT   -/-
NAT2 R197Q   rs1799930   AG   +/-
NAT2 G286E   rs1799931   GG   -/-
NAT2 R64Q   rs1801279   GG   -/-
NAT2 K268R   rs1208   AA   -/-

Offline GDRTW

• View Profile
« Reply #17897 on: 11/03/2013 16:37:10 »
Well, I have been hesitant about posting this but since all this recent talk about serotonin and such. I have come across something that helps me tremendoulsy with my searing eye pain from POIS. The problem is it is illegal and obviously hazardous to your health. It is called ecstasy. MDMA acts as a releasing agent of serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. MDMA increases oxytocin levels, which may strengthen the therapeutic alliance. I am not trying to sway anyone into going down this road as a cure of course, but trying to find a corralation to what could be potentially important components concerning specific targeted areas of the neurological system.

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #17898 on: 11/03/2013 18:26:58 »
Here's my detox profile from genetic genie. (new test). It's based on my 23andme raw data.

What's a good resource to interpret these results?

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17899 on: 11/03/2013 18:32:47 »

What's a good resource to interpret these results?

Unfortunately, the only resource is looking on snppedia.com for information about each mutation.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17899 on: 11/03/2013 18:32:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length