The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6425912 times)

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #17925 on: 17/03/2013 02:58:30 »
I'd never heard of the CT3M method before you mentioned it just now.  i did some reading one it.  I like how in addition to raising T3 it naturally increases cortisol production.  I'd venture to guess that many of us here have insufficient cortisol production.  I'm certainly in that camp, so perhaps if i ever go down the T3 pathway I'll be able to do the CT3M thing and be able to forgo the supplemental hydrocortisone.
« Last Edit: 17/03/2013 03:57:36 by B_Daniel »

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #17926 on: 17/03/2013 09:19:36 »
I'd never heard of the CT3M method before you mentioned it just now.  i did some reading one it.  I like how in addition to raising T3 it naturally increases cortisol production.  I'd venture to guess that many of us here have insufficient cortisol production.  I'm certainly in that camp, so perhaps if i ever go down the T3 pathway I'll be able to do the CT3M thing and be able to forgo the supplemental hydrocortisone.

If you interested in that subject it might be worth reading Paul Robinson's book "Recovering with T3".
About "rT3: fiction or reality", I can bring my personal experience. The first 8-10 weeks I take T3 its effect is somehow attenuated even if I reach high doses. Then, at a certain point I feel it at once, see hyperthyroid signs and have to reduce the doses. It's happened to me twice during the dose tuning. The explanation I have for it is that, if enough T3 is used, TSH is constantly suppressed and eventually T4 production is stopped. With less T4 in circulation there is less conversion to rT3, and eventually T3 is more effective at cellular level. In fact it normally takes 8-12 weeks for T4 (and eventually rT3) to be cleared out if T3 dosage is high enough. If on the other hand you are underdosed the clear out might not happen (this happened to me as well, as confirmed by the labs).
It's one example of experiencing something rather than just believing (or not) in a model.
With that I don't want to say that rT3 is the only cause of thyroid resistance at cellular level, nor that solving this kind of hypothyroidism will completely address any form of chronic fatigue/pain. It's just a piece of the puzzle to be considered.

Offline chris 18

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17927 on: 17/03/2013 16:12:50 »
Hi everyone,

I took zinc and vit B 6 tab as suggested by herman only for 3 days.  During that day, my blood pressure was gone to 160 and doctors told that it shows your zinc and Vit B6 are normal and there is no need to take supplements and he confirmed that it is not related to my POIS.

Later, I consulted, the another doctor, (new) explained all the symtoms and he told he knows how to cure this problem.  He give me scientific reason for the POIS He suggested me the tablet for one month.  I started taking it,  For first one week, I found slight relief, from second week onwards, POIS started diminishing and at the end of second week, my entire POIS cured.  Presently I am in end of one month and there is no POIS symtoms at all.  Yesterday I had three o's and today three. nothing happens.  It seems I am cured. 

But in last several occassions, i cured for first one week by medicine and POIS used to bounce back.  But this time that does not happen and it is already 15 days, I am out of POIS.  Now, I am enjoying normal mental health in last 7 years.  For last 7 years, I was in continuos POIS except some break for a week.  I wanted to wait another 15 days and confirm that there is no POIS bounce back on me, then I will post the treatments taken by me, with scientific reason.  I will be back on March 1st with happy news. 

Friends cure for POIS is very very simple basic thing, but all of us here we forget, finally form that doctor, i came to know about this as he had experience of some patients some patients facing POIS due to that proble.

Thats very good and delighting news Nathan..I hope you are right and that finally there is a solution in our problem..We 'll be waiting for your confirmation news Nathan and wish your correct.

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17928 on: 17/03/2013 18:34:37 »
Hey guys (& happy st patrick's day kurtosis and everyone! )

Don't think the following is something we really haven't heard before, but I read this article and thought it was kind of interesting (http://themodernsavage.com/2009/02/04/effects-of-male-masturbation-on-attracting-women/), mainly not because of the actual article, but because of the comments section, in that there are so many people who try abstaining for a while (like 7 days or more) and end up feeling much more confident, sociable, and clear minded. What really amazes me is the huge amount of people that have tried this with super good results. Some examples of what they say are: "I would require 2-4 days to recover while being stuck in an apathetic rut", "I masturbated yesterday from lack of willpower. Today Iím completely depressed", "Without masturbating for nine months, physically I felt good. My mind felt sharp but I also became more emotionally solid". And those are the tip of a big iceberg of what ppl are saying. This is what a lot of us POISers experience too, except it seems that our post masturbation symptoms are a lot worse. There are a TON of comments there, so maybe POIS (or some form of it) really is much more common than we think.

Prancer

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #17929 on: 17/03/2013 20:26:57 »
I tend to agree with you Prancer... POIS might be something that lots of guys have - we just have a worse case of it.

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #17930 on: 17/03/2013 21:11:41 »
Hi everyone,

I took zinc and vit B 6 tab as suggested by herman only for 3 days.  During that day, my blood pressure was gone to 160 and doctors told that it shows your zinc and Vit B6 are normal and there is no need to take supplements and he confirmed that it is not related to my POIS.

Later, I consulted, the another doctor, (new) explained all the symtoms and he told he knows how to cure this problem.  He give me scientific reason for the POIS He suggested me the tablet for one month.  I started taking it,  For first one week, I found slight relief, from second week onwards, POIS started diminishing and at the end of second week, my entire POIS cured.  Presently I am in end of one month and there is no POIS symtoms at all.  Yesterday I had three o's and today three. nothing happens.  It seems I am cured. 

But in last several occassions, i cured for first one week by medicine and POIS used to bounce back.  But this time that does not happen and it is already 15 days, I am out of POIS.  Now, I am enjoying normal mental health in last 7 years.  For last 7 years, I was in continuos POIS except some break for a week.  I wanted to wait another 15 days and confirm that there is no POIS bounce back on me, then I will post the treatments taken by me, with scientific reason.  I will be back on March 1st with happy news. 

Friends cure for POIS is very very simple basic thing, but all of us here we forget, finally form that doctor, i came to know about this as he had experience of some patients some patients facing POIS due to that proble.

Hi Nathan,

Interesting ; I've the feeling that a "cure" could come from the eastern world ; here it's 3 bloods test showing nothing and then SSRI's

What "tablet" do you take ?

Offline meteo74

• View Profile
« Reply #17931 on: 18/03/2013 09:11:45 »
Hi nathan123

I hope you are good,but i want to advise you if realy cured ,do not do it with your self you have to do it just with agirl,because ma. is the real reson of p.o.i.s... beleive me.

, waiting for good news,
« Last Edit: 18/03/2013 09:15:30 by meteo74 »

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #17932 on: 18/03/2013 13:11:22 »
T3 therapy? That's interesting. One of the main causes of elevated serum calcium is hyperparathyroidism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperparathyroidism
You could have this but have low vitamin D which masks it. See http://www.acssurgerynews.com/fileadmin/content_pdf/fpn/archive_pdf/vol37iss4/70214_main.pdf

I take around 5000-6000IU of vitamin D / day. How much were you taking?

I don't think I have hyperparathyroidism - hyperparathyroid adenoma. My PTH (Parathormone) is now on the floor, where it is supposed to be due to excess calcium:

Parathormone 3,3pg/ml *[12-72]
Calcium 10,80 *[8.6-10.7]
Phosphorus 4.70 [2.5-5.0]
Vit D3 85 [50-100]

When I had a lower D level (and before starting T3), it was:

Parathormone 15,4pg/ml [12-72]
Calcium 9,60 [8.6-10.7]
Phosphorus 4.30 [2.5-5.0]
Vit D 23 [50-100]

Don't you agree this would rule out a PT issue?

The elevated calcium has happened twice in a row in latest labs, even if T3 doses where very different and I stopped calcium supplementation in the meantime.
Too much T3 (hypethyroidism) can lead to elevated calcium and bone loss, but I don't feel hypethyroid and thyroid labs are not very indicative when on T3.
I don't get the link between T3 and hyperparathyroidism instead. I am going to have a DEXA scan anyway to check if osteopenia is an issue.

To say it all, I've had a (giant cell) bone tumor last year at right elbow and eventually a surgery for it. So PTH level is one of the things I checked to rule out a PT adenoma. As you see life can be complex (at least mine).

If you have other ideas on this tricky situation feel free to tell me, if it becomes too specific and a bit off topic you can message me.

I think in fact I told you the story of my D dosing in a pvt message. I experimented many ways to D dosing.
I've seen the paradox of low serum D levels after 10000/20000UI daily (couldn't absorb that brand/batch).
I've also tried megadoses of 100000UI every 20 days (equivalent to 5000UI) and it worked, but I was perplexed by the possible spikes and valleys.
Then, before the last lab, I preferred a steady 5000UI daily (and I could absorb that).
Now if I've cut it it down to 5000UI every 2 days (equivalent to 2500UI daily), which I'll possibly suspend for awhile before next labs (I will survive)
I want D to decrease on purpose to see if calcium will eventually get normal. Or it is T3 that's messing up things (unlikely, but to be proved).

If you are taking 5000/6000UI that might be perfect for you, I just suggest you check your D levels and possibly serum calcium regularly and don't rely just on suggested dosage, you never know how much you absorb, how much you produce from sunshine etc...  Taking magnesium, zinc and K2 can be a good idea anyway.

I've been taking 1000UI of D3 for about 3 weeks and I took for the four past days 5000Ui daily ; I had 4 O this week end and I feel pretty good today(lets say 20% symtomatic) ; Based on my experience the probability for me to be OK was 5% so the D vit is maybe  involved.

I'm resistant to pretty much everything, I tried numerous complement without any success ; The problem is I 've no idea how to find out that a suplements works/make symptoms worse/it will works in some days or week/worst at a certain dosage or in combinaison with something else because there is tons of parameters involved like food, stress an other suplement that I took a week before, biologic cycle or disease cycle, sun, etc
Now I stopped everything, i'll just try to take D3 5000Ui for a month and see what happens

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #17933 on: 18/03/2013 13:25:14 »

I've been taking 1000UI of D3 for about 3 weeks and I took for the four past days 5000Ui daily ; I had 4 O this week end and I feel pretty good today(lets say 20% symtomatic) ; Based on my experience the probability for me to be OK was 5% so the D vit is maybe  involved.

I'm resistant to pretty much everything, I tried numerous complement without any success ; The problem is I 've no idea how to find out that a suplements works/make symptoms worse/it will works in some days or week/worst at a certain dosage or in combinaison with something else because there is tons of parameters involved like food, stress an other suplement that I took a week before, biologic cycle or disease cycle, sun, etc
Now I stopped everything, i'll just try to take D3 5000Ui for a month and see what happens

The majority of people is vit D deficient, so supplementing D could only help for a number of reasons. My recommendation is just to regularly check it and never assume.

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #17934 on: 18/03/2013 14:11:45 »
Yes ; But the majority of people doesn't have chronic and intermittent cognitive issues, fatigue, etc ;

Could D vit deficiency/problem of transportation/usage, etc be the cause of POIS ?

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17935 on: 19/03/2013 10:20:03 »
Nathan,

I am glad that you found something that works for you.   According to what I saw you have low thyroid.  Or impaired thyroid.  So I am not sure  what you are taking now,  but it could be  iodine  , lecitin ,  inositol,   vitamin D,  and B group and zinc.
You mentioned  that you are  estrogen  dominant,  so progesterone pill  would help too.  But  it is not a cure. 

I am not sure why couldnt you share with us  what you are  taking.  I guess you are too busy  having SEX.)))

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17936 on: 19/03/2013 10:30:34 »
Also I noticted that  many people were helped with Adrenal support with B5   C  B complex  Manganese

Offline meteo74

• View Profile
« Reply #17937 on: 19/03/2013 14:46:13 »
Hi all

I had adeficiency of v. d3, but now after treatment my d3 balance is normal,and i still in pois,
so v.d3 has no effect on pois.

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #17938 on: 19/03/2013 15:17:54 »

Nathan,

I am glad that you found something that works for you.   According to what I saw you have low thyroid.  Or impaired thyroid.  So I am not sure  what you are taking now,  but it could be  iodine  , lecitin ,  inositol,   vitamin D,  and B group and zinc.
You mentioned  that you are  estrogen  dominant,  so progesterone pill  would help too.  But  it is not a cure. 

I am not sure why couldnt you share with us  what you are  taking.  I guess you are too busy  having SEX.)))

Dear Gbolduev,

Don't make assumptions and presumptions on thyroid disorder.  I consulted no.1 specilaist in our region and he concluded my thyroid is perfect by seeing my laboratory results.  Further, regarding my estrogen high (it was 54) where normal range was 30 to 50.  My doctor told that it is due excess weight in the body.  Doctor confirmed that estrogen was slightly high than normal and I am not at all Estrogen Dominant.  I am not at all taking progesterone, iodine  , lecitin ,  inositol,   vitamin D,  and B group and zinc as assumed by you as the same is not worked for me.  As per your suggestion earlier I tried B 6 and Zinc and within two days my BP was high. Doctor advised to not to take it as there is no need. 

I am not taking Allopathy medicine, rather I am in Ayurvedic Medicine.  This gives me a cure in just one month treatment.  You are right, now I am busy in SEX because my POIS cured
You for giving your theory, you took so many days in your skype by asking various reports and silly things daily body temperature for one week. 

Same way I also required to confirm that my POIS was cured and I am not providing any false thing to this forum.  From the past one year, I am respecting this forum as it provides me a opportunity me to know what is POIS.  That's why I told will post the result on 1st April. 

In this forum we are following one rule called two week rule.  That is the reason why I not posted my treatments.  Now I cured from the past 25 days and completed 2 week rule period.  But I want to confirm still upto March 31st that my POIS not bounce back on me. 

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17939 on: 19/03/2013 15:42:02 »
Thanks Nathan for your reply.

It will be interesting to know what you are taking.   Are you taking it all the time, or you  just took it  and then  quit.   If you are taking it all the time then  it makes sense,  you can just take  herbs that raise your testosterone and you will be cured,  but   the  actualy problem will stay inside.

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17940 on: 19/03/2013 15:51:09 »
I tried many  Ayurvedic Medicine/

Ashwagandas,  tumerics gingers , shilajit gugullu and others/  Anything for the prostate to  diminish DHT burning to stop   premature ejaculation and  also to  reboot hormones,  since the impulse   should be big to  reboot your system.  They all worked for POIS.     But the core problem did not go away

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17941 on: 19/03/2013 15:54:32 »
OH yeah , and also  Gingseng.  Which   helped and then I started to have panic attacks on it.  It raises  sodium and mimics adrenal glands. )))

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17942 on: 19/03/2013 16:10:11 »
I almost died from Tongkat Ali,  if anybody tried that.  Yohimbe screwed up my nervous system  eventually and  tribullus  completely  screwed me over.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17943 on: 19/03/2013 16:40:17 »
Hi all

I had adeficiency of v. d3, but now after treatment my d3 balance is normal,and i still in pois,
For you. There is no guarantee that we all have the same thing.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #17944 on: 19/03/2013 19:22:00 »
I almost died from Tongkat Ali,  if anybody tried that.  Yohimbe screwed up my nervous system  eventually and  tribullus  completely  screwed me over.
I tried tribullus too. It made me feel quite sick.

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #17945 on: 20/03/2013 02:06:51 »
I have a question for everyone here:  have your POIS symptoms, especially your cognitive symptoms, ever improved when you were sick with the flu/cold/other?

For me this is a "yes".  It isn't often that I am sick though, so I havn't had the chance to observe it much.  But most recently, this past Christmas holiday I caught a serious cold that lasted for 2+ weeks.  It was partially my fault, because I was in the midst of treating my candida infection and went overboard with antifungals and probiotics, making me feel terrible and compromising my immune system.  On top of that, I was surrounded by family who probably brought all sorts of germs with them.

I was sneezing and coughing and had a sore throat, but I was having the highest clarity of thought in recent memory.  It lasted about a week after I stopped sneezing and coughing, and I returned to normal.  Since I was in such a fervor to treat my candida, I immediately thought this was some great benefit of really conquering candida.  I had dieted and treated myself for almost 3 months at that point, so I thought it was about time to see some great benefits.

Thing is now I have problems with candida again.  I reintroduced foods according to the diet, and didn't have the normal gassiness and bloating I was having before.  My biggest reason for treating candida was that I had developed what is called an intertrigo 3 years ago, which is a sore spot in the fold of my skin between my thigh and genitals.  I washed it and cleaned it for over 2.5 years, and it never would go away.  Finally, after reading some things about candida on POIS forums and asking my doc, he told me he was confident it was a fungal intertrigo.  That intertrigo went away for the first time in 3 years in laste December, and I was happy because I knew I had treated it by attacking candida in my body.

But about 1 month ago, my symptoms started to show up again.  I became gassy, bloated, and I started to feel the all to familiar irritation where my intertrigo used to be.  My candida is still there, and it hasn't been treated.

So was this glorious 2 or so weeks of clarity of though really the result of treating candida?  I'm not so sure now, because I'm beginning to realize how many times I've experienced a reduction in symptoms, especially cognitive symptoms, when I've been sick.  I can think all the way back to early high school, when I already had POIS for 3 years, I came down with a cold and could finally understand what was going on in my mathematics class.  In addition, I suffered from social anxiety terribly in high school, and in those sick times I remember being "on my game" for the first time in my life, making jokes and flirting with girls.

There are studies out there that have explored the idea that sickness can be beneficial to diseases.  Jonathan Kipnis of the University of Virginia found that incapacitating mice's T cells made them perform poorly in navigating known mazes, in addition to a number of other cognitive tests:

http://www.pnas.org/content/101/21/8180.abstract

Also, he and other scientists knocked out the immune signaling molecule interleukin-4 in mice, and found they displayed significant cognitive deficits:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20439540

Kipnis dreamed up these studies when he found he could think more clearly during a fever.

There is a lot of research showing that fever helps in autism.  In 1980, a viral infection spread through the ward housing autistic children at Bellevue Psychiatric Hospital in NYC.  The children who contracted the virus improved, and regressed when their illness faded:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v313/n6002/abs/313426c0.html

A questionnaire study by Curren et. all showed that the most difficult symptoms of autism - the irritability, hyperactivity, repetetive behavior, and lack of impulse control - all improved when body temperature went up during fever.  After the fevers resolved, the children regressed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18055656

So, I'd like to know.  Have you experienced reduced symptoms, especially cognitive ones, from being sick?  And, do you get sick less, the same, or more than others?

« Last Edit: 20/03/2013 02:08:26 by Nightingale »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #17946 on: 20/03/2013 03:20:38 »
Hi all

For you. There is no guarantee that we all have the same thing.

that's true, but same thing happened to me meteo.  i still take vitamin D because i don't want it to be low, but didn't help my pois.
« Last Edit: 20/03/2013 05:21:46 by B_Daniel »

Offline meteo74

• View Profile
« Reply #17947 on: 20/03/2013 08:06:20 »
Hi Nightingale,
 for me if i were in pois it doesnt add any thing to my symtoms,but if i were in flu ... then  i do o. so the symptoms well be worse ...

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17948 on: 20/03/2013 12:46:06 »
VItamin  D  helps with calcium metabolism.   POIS happens when  your  progesterone  estrogen ratio  gets  screwed up which effects your  testosterone levels  and  that puts some  burden on  inflammation  response.
So for some people who are deficient  in  D it will put a lid on thyroid,  since  D will increase calcium and  that will slow down your thyroid,   when thyroid slows down if it is fast   , the progesterone   estrogen will get balanced.   

Daniel, in your case you have low thyroid,  D wont help )))) Since  you have high DHT in your case.

Some people sitting at the computer all day  long   might  get cured by D.

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #17949 on: 20/03/2013 12:58:47 »
Kurtosis,

I think you had  higher thyroid,   since you mentioned that you  felt better on quercetin which is phytoestrogen .  Same here  and  I had  high thyroid too and tribulus  was killing me, I guess it was increasing it  even more.  I felt  hyper 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17949 on: 20/03/2013 12:58:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums