The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6453759 times)

Offline urano75

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #18025 on: 29/03/2013 14:32:39 »
I have constant POIS, it just gets worse after O.
From my observations, I have an idea that the cause of POIS is some autoimmune or allergic reaction. I have noticed  that for me the more semen contacts penis during ejaculation, the more severe POIS gets after.
Any ideas whether it is possible that an allergy/autoimmune could cause POIS for me to be constant? Or an allergy should disappear after some time?

Actually each time I read "costant POIS" I think it's a contradiction in terms. As a long time sufferer of Chronic Fatigue/depression/hypothyroidism/adrenal fatigue/recurring infections and related conditions, I know what it means being constantly sick. In cases like mine sex only makes worse already existing conditions and lets events precipitate.
Unless one normally feels great, and suddenly gets sick only after sex, to eventually fully recover, I'm reluctant to believe to semen allergy and similar. There might be cases like these, but I suspect they're not the majority. Just my two cents.

Offline pauliebaby61

• View Profile
« Reply #18026 on: 29/03/2013 15:38:25 »
Its been quite a while since last visiting this site. I was wondering if any clear cut answers have come in regard to this awful, disease?
What ever became of Dr Waldingers assessment and protocol for treatment?
I did have my Dr read Dr Waldingers abstract/treatment. He was very skeptical and would not try his treatment with me, of desensitizing my allery to my own semen by frequent, small injections. Additionally, Dr Waldinger never followed up with me as he stated he would send out a questionaire.

FYI-I am a 15 yr sufferer, I currently am on injectable Testosterone, 2x a week. My T level is great, but sadly it does nothing to stop POIS after O, so i am pretty much living a celibate life. I miss O, but the horrible 2 weeks afterward are NOT worth it.
I believe in my heart this problem is an immune/nervous system disorder at its core.
Any comments would be appreciated, Thank you.

Offline gondal4

• View Profile
« Reply #18027 on: 29/03/2013 16:45:11 »
i genrally am normal but severly weak after ejaculation.so no constant for me

Offline gondal4

• View Profile
« Reply #18028 on: 29/03/2013 16:47:31 »
idk about others but recently my ecg revealed that my hearth has some problem too.some connection with pois.deifferrent walls sending blood at different pressure

Offline icefloe

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18029 on: 30/03/2013 11:39:35 »
Hi,

I have  chronic Lyme disease and I think that cause my POIS.  Nature's Antibiotic (example Carlic,  Olive Leaf
Extract ) usually will help with POIS symptoms. Is there anyone tested mycoplasma fermentans what is one co-infection with Lyme. POIS-people are borne with   low immune system and after ejaculation your body is under attack by different bacterias and viruses.  When you get older then all is getting worse.

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18030 on: 30/03/2013 12:41:15 »
Hi,

I have  chronic Lyme disease and I think that cause my POIS.  Nature's Antibiotic (example Carlic,  Olive Leaf
Extract ) usually will help with POIS symptoms. Is there anyone tested mycoplasma fermentans what is one co-infection with Lyme. POIS-people are borne with   low immune system and after ejaculation your body is under attack by different bacterias and viruses.  When you get older then all is getting worse.

Welcome Icefloe.
My condition resembles to yours: weak immune system and high susceptibility to viral infections, especially after orgasm. It's been like this for years, possibly decades.
I don't think I have Lyme, but it seems I am positive to CMV (Cytomegalovirus, herpes-like virus like EBV) which likely undermines my immune system, opens the way to other bugs and keeps my adrenals low. I am working to deactivate, if not eradicate CMV.
It gets worse as you age only if the underlying issues are not addressed, which it might not be easy for people with chronic or even life-time issues because you must first become aware that you are sick, then you must know what the problems are, and finally you must find a way to solve them.
Good luck.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #18031 on: 30/03/2013 15:28:22 »
Interesting. There's a family of autoimmune diseases called Polyglandular Autoimmune Syndrome (PAS / PGAS) that are rare, show symptoms of multiple disorders including fungal infections, general evidence of weakened immune, hypogonadism (with low Testosterone), myaesthenia gravis causing vision disturbances, chronic fatigue etc.

I looked up my AIRE genes on 23andme and found that I had quite a few mutations in the SNP's 23andme test for. It's unclear what this means but there may be a connection between AIRE mutations and PGAS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoimmune_regulator

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #18032 on: 30/03/2013 17:53:24 »
LAPOISSE, if you do try mucuna pruriens be careful with it especially if you have any heart conditions. I've been taking 350mg capsules and it seems if I take one a day for about 4 days I'll get a faster stronger heartbeat that begins about a week later and lasts for another week. A safer option is probably to take tyrosine, which your body then converts to levodopa as this will prevent levodopa overdose.

Thank you Vicent M for your advice. I just received my mucuna pruriens 400mg with 15% of L-Dopa ; the daily dose is suposed to be 5 caps but I'll start with 1 just to be safe.
I did try Tyrosine but I didn't notice anyhelp apart being more tanned....The Idea with mucuna is to skip one step of the conversion ; Apparently having dopamine directly usable in the brain is much more complicated(see levodopa drugs for parkinson) but I need to try that anyway.
I also received PS 100 and krill oil.
I'm taking 100mg B6 and 1g B12 a day and I do a lot of sport ; it's been a week a so far I feel much better than usual

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #18033 on: 31/03/2013 13:07:00 »
Interesting, last night I was at a party and I ended up drinking about 5 or 6 caffeinated beverages, which made me really hyper by the way, over the span of about 4 hours. I also tried the niacin again (about 600mg). It gave me only a little bit of a flush.  About an hour later I had 3 orgasms, which normally would cause me severe pois right away. Well, because of all the caffeine I ended up staying up pretty much all night. But, oddly I felt (and still feel now) really, really good mentally. I feel like my thinking is way clearer. Not sure why this is and I don't recommend it, as lack of sleep and high caffeine are obviously unhealthy. And I surely won't do this all the time 'cause I need my sleep! But it's just kinda interesting and a very rare moment with less severe pois post multiple orgasms. Anyway just wanted to post that mainly for it to be archived here because I think it's important to post when something weird reduces symptoms so any future researcher reading through will have as much data as poss. Have a good weekend and hopefully in the near future we'll finally get our cure *fingers crossed*.

Note: I was inspired to try the niacin again from Egordon's posts in the other forum. He mentions not to give up on it and also that he is being helped a lot by desens and NSAIDs (something I want to try sometime). His posts have also rekindled my interest in the semen allergy theory.
« Last Edit: 31/03/2013 13:09:24 by Prancer »

Offline alphaq

• View Profile
« Reply #18034 on: 02/04/2013 00:38:05 »
anyone else here have Sinus problems? Like a dry stuffy nose (perhaps one-sided)

Offline Over it

• View Profile
« Reply #18035 on: 02/04/2013 10:24:28 »
anyone else here have Sinus problems? Like a dry stuffy nose (perhaps one-sided)
Yes, I do. Gets worse with POIS & goes away when POIS goes away. Blood in the dry mucous when pois is bad as well.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #18036 on: 03/04/2013 18:06:58 »
One of my nostrils always feels clogged and it shifts to the other nostril about once a day. I didn't have that problem during the month my pois seemed cured.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #18037 on: 04/04/2013 19:07:16 »

sinusitis, both nostrils.

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #18038 on: 05/04/2013 22:06:21 »
Dear friends,

Just  wanted to  add some info here, you might use.  As you know I  have informed you that  POIS depends on  the work of  your glands.   All other cures  are just  cover ups and wont  solve anything.  Adrenals and thyroid  are the  issue here.   Adrenals and thyroid  regulate  your  neurotrasmitters .  The POIS ratios are  sodium potassium  ,  electric ratio ,   dopamine serotonin, and  mainly I think   acetylcholine/  gaba  ratio.   As  Daniel  mentioned   he had  symptoms alike to those of post marijuana use.  Well  that is  definetely   acetylcholine  issue then.  If you have  overactive  adrenals, you might  miss acetylcholine  since   B5 is used to support the production and in  overactive adrenals  B5 is missing.   If you have low thyroid,  then you  are low on  zinc and  that is  needed for GABA regulation.    Basically  you can try   2 -3 things,      zinc B6  for gaba problems,    B5  and choline   for acetylcholine problems.     But mainly  you need to adjust your glands.   

It is not  that easy to  regulate  your glands,  since   lets say  if you  have  overactive adrenals, you are  missing B5 ,  and POIS will be gone on B5, but   you will have anxiety  on B5 , since it will speed up your  adrenals even more.   So basically you have to  speed up your thyroid first in this case to  lower your adrenals, but it will take time.     

Vincent M,   since you mentioned that you have   crazy  sex urge,  that means that your DHT levels are insane,  and  you have low thyroid ,  and   you are missing zinc.   Zinc will  slow you down   but   will  make you stronger.   Your problem is  too much acetylcholine and  little gaba.   

Good luck guys.   POIS is not the problem to get rid of,  the problem is  to get rid of  your  initial  problem,  POIS is secondary to the  original problem.

I think  this route is used for sexual exhaustion  for  years already , and everyone knows that   HPA axis gets  affected and  many doctors   succesfully cure this thing.  POIS is exactly that.   and I dont know  why  someone researches it at all to be honest.  Dr. Richards , Dr Lin,  all  hair analysis people   like  Wilson ,  Watts,  ARL , and  gazzillion  of other people will balance you no problem. I would balance you  too, but  I dont have much time now.  I  am dealing with a few   on this forum  and you will see the results /   

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #18039 on: 06/04/2013 04:06:34 »
Wanted to let you guys know 2 interesting things:

1) My stomach has become very bloated, gassy, and painful, and the onset of these symptoms came with much worse brain function.  I have found that ibuprophen treats BOTH all the stomach issues and the brain function issues.  I am taking prescription strength ibuprophen for now

2) After discovering that ibuprophen treats my stomach and cognitive issues, a few weeks later allergy season started and I returned to BOTH stomach and brain function problems.  So I began my antihistamine, and saw improvement in BOTH categories again.

Now with both antihistamines and ibuprophen, I am definitely higher functioning than I was pre- stomach issues.

Lastly, I have just begun taking Gastrocrom, a mast cell stabilizer to see if I can gain some benefits in terms of inflammation and immune dysfunction.  I have stayed away from methylation supplements for some time, I just can't seem to tolerate them.  Hopefully this helps

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #18040 on: 07/04/2013 22:10:30 »
This is the reason  why Niacin  helped some here.

http://www.worldhealth.net/news/tryptophan_niacin_protect_against_alzhei/

Niacin same as nicotin  inhibits   the destruction of  acetylcholine.  That is why  when I quite smoking I got my POIS.   
Read my previous message. I bet your POIS will be gone quickly.  As a note ,  choline and anything that  increases  acetylcholine  lowers blood pressure, so  for those  who are  low on blood pressure,  take it with B5.  For those with high  blood pressure can take it alone/

Good luck

Offline thereishope

• View Profile
« Reply #18041 on: 08/04/2013 21:30:03 »
Long story short,

I am convinced that POIS causes inflammation and therefore with inflammation comes inflammation in the brain, hence the cognitive symptoms. You guys have to understand that brain inflammation affects the amygdala, which means it messes with our emotional system. This is why anti-inflammatory medication such as non-steroidical-anti-inflammatory-drugs AKA Advil or CELEBREX (for beginners) AKA NSAIDS work well. My assumption is that niacin works similar to NSAIDS. Something I noticed when I started taking niacin a few days before my O that I had last night is that when I took niacin, of course I had mild flush symptoms but I also "felt my brain more" and actually experienced a feeling of more blood flow going to my brain which is a really good sign.

At this point, I am also convinced that our disorder is identical to Celiac AKD Gluten allergy.
People with this kind of allergy undergo identical symptoms to POIS and of course the only way to prevent the reactions is by abstaining by food of wheat, barley and etc..
After researching a little more about Celiac disease, they have found that there is a type of "cytokine" named Interleukin-15 that created the inflammatory response and therefore they are currently in the process of developing a medication that would essentially block Interleukin-15 and therefore people with Celiac will no longer experience these symptoms. I stongly believe that this medication can help us too.

If you guys want to look in to this a little more these are some things you can search for:

IL-15 blockers
Interleukin 15 blocker
Celiac disease symptoms
Brain inflammation symptoms

I would be more that happy to hear your thoughts!

Good day gentlemen, stay strong :)
« Last Edit: 08/04/2013 21:31:53 by thereishope »

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #18042 on: 08/04/2013 23:11:47 »
Anything that raises cortisol fights inflammation.   As I mentioned/   What is there to develop.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #18043 on: 09/04/2013 06:10:53 »
Over at FeelAlike, a few of us were talking about our ceruloplasmin levels.  Of the three of us that had it tested, our levels were 12, 18, and 21  (the reference range is 20-60).

Herman, between this forum and the russian forum, there must've been at least another 5+ ppl that have had their ceruloplasmin tested and provided you.  Can you tell us what % of people have low ceruloplasmin?

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #18044 on: 09/04/2013 09:36:09 »
Daniel ,

I have quite a few tests,   I would say over 90% of them have low ceruloplasmin  levels.   Ceruloplasmin levels could be low because of frank copper deficiency or   copper toxicity  like Wilsons.  Weak adrenals are the cause  of this mostly.   Сeruloplasmin  is involved with iron  metabolism and that is why  copper deficiency or bioavailability   leads to anemia, that most people  have here.    I found that  regulating  3 minerals   copper zinc and  manganese   takes care of this problem.  if you have high ferritin and low iron in your blood ,  it means that you might miss copper and manganese to utilize it and you will get POIS from  basically anemia since during stress  copper is used  greatly ( orgasm).  So  when you orgasm  your  hemoglobin  levels  go down since your iron and copper are low as it is.   If you  have  low ferritin  , it could mean that you are copper toxic and  your adrenals are  shut and that way  you  still have low copper available for  hemoglobin.   It does not matter how you  twist it,  most of the POIS is about   manganese copper zinc iron balance.  All other stuff like methylation ,  acetylcholines gabas and dopamine  serotonin all depend on these metals.  Also  all 4  metals are needed for the thyroid  gland and its proper functioning.   Most doctors  look at the thyroid  tests and see nothing there. I dont want to even argue  with someone about it, since I  personally experienced the difference  from low thryroid high thyroid and  normal thyroid, while   the tests were all in  normal ranges. But my condition changed so much  it is not even funny.  So doctors  should really reconsider on how  they look at the tests for people with thyroid problems.  TSH of 3 is way way  way too high.

Anyway , I hope this helps.    As a note, I want to add that  nowadays   copper toxicity  thing is  very very popular thing and  people  go on  these  detox adventures  . Many sites bs the same thing over and over again , about how  copper is not used and how it is not bound and stuff like that. Personally I think  copper deficiency is  more common than toxicity especially in men. All these bs artists take their info from 2-3 sources on the web.   I am sure that  no one  opened people up and found copper deposited all over organs . Actually I  read quiet a few studies where they opened people up and  found  low copper in  heart and  lungs and  stomach which  caused death.    I think iron is  everywhere now, almost in all the foods that people eat,    cadmium is  in ciggaretes , zinc  is all over the place. No wonder  there is no copper.   But iron  chelates   all 3 of them  manganese copper and zinc.  I think most people have low available levels of these metals.   Hey  in Russia  there is bucкwheat and  all  cancer patients  seem to do really well on buckwheat diet.  WHY?     answer is simple,  buckwheat is full of manganese zinc and copper.   HIV studies also show that  HIV gets undercontrol  with  manganese  zinc and copper supplements.   SOD  works on these 3 also. 

So Daniel , to be healthy  you need to have   proper balance between these  and also  they need to be in  enough  quantities for your enzymes.   
Hairloss people,   manganese and copper and zinc will restore  your hair.  There is a study I read that found that  in all hair loss cases manganese deficiency presented in all 100% cases. Plus zinc plus copper.  Manganese  for instance  helps biotin  metabolism and vitamin E metabolism. Which is crucial for hair.

Good luck.

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #18045 on: 09/04/2013 11:49:39 »
Long story short,

I am convinced that POIS causes inflammation and therefore with inflammation comes inflammation in the brain, hence the cognitive symptoms. You guys have to understand that brain inflammation affects the amygdala, which means it messes with our emotional system. This is why anti-inflammatory medication such as non-steroidical-anti-inflammatory-drugs AKA Advil or CELEBREX (for beginners) AKA NSAIDS work well. My assumption is that niacin works similar to NSAIDS. Something I noticed when I started taking niacin a few days before my O that I had last night is that when I took niacin, of course I had mild flush symptoms but I also "felt my brain more" and actually experienced a feeling of more blood flow going to my brain which is a really good sign.

At this point, I am also convinced that our disorder is identical to Celiac AKD Gluten allergy.
People with this kind of allergy undergo identical symptoms to POIS and of course the only way to prevent the reactions is by abstaining by food of wheat, barley and etc..
After researching a little more about Celiac disease, they have found that there is a type of "cytokine" named Interleukin-15 that created the inflammatory response and therefore they are currently in the process of developing a medication that would essentially block Interleukin-15 and therefore people with Celiac will no longer experience these symptoms. I stongly believe that this medication can help us too.

If you guys want to look in to this a little more these are some things you can search for:

IL-15 blockers
Interleukin 15 blocker
Celiac disease symptoms

Interesting...Indeed, there is connection with brain fog ; Anyone ever tried gluten free diet with improvment ? What could be the connection with O ?
Anyways I'm 100% sure my POIS in inflammation related ; The problem is with Nsaids,is would burn my stomach to solve a intestin problem...

Offline Erik

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18046 on: 09/04/2013 18:43:36 »

Hello to all,

'm from Germany and have to use because of my poor English the translator.
This is my first post, I have been following the forum but a long time.
Have especially back pain and some psychological symptoms, including sleep disturbances after orgasm.
I inquire after many years in power and the conviction that triggers an inflammation, histamine and prostaglandins are released. This is due to an autoimmune disease or allergy. The immune system tries to fix this inflammation and consumed raw materials as the amino acid kynurenine.
These key ingredients are also used for production of hormones and neurotransmitters. So there is always a shortage of hormones and neurotransmitters such as serotonin, so the symptoms.
've Tried all kinds of drugs: painkillers, Entzündunshemmer, antidepressants, vitamins and more. Nothing has helped has become even worse. The only help you practice the orgasm as seldom as possible, which is not easy.

Greetings to all

Offline thereishope

• View Profile
« Reply #18047 on: 09/04/2013 20:44:43 »
Long story short,

IL-15 blockers
Interleukin 15 blocker
Celiac disease symptoms

Interesting...Indeed, there is connection with brain fog ; Anyone ever tried gluten free diet with improvment ? What could be the connection with O ?
Anyways I'm 100% sure my POIS in inflammation related ; The problem is with Nsaids,is would burn my stomach to solve a intestin problem...

Hey LAPOISSE2,

In my post I am not suggesting that we should eat no gluten related foods; all I am suggesting is that our disorder is identical to gluten allergy AKA Celiac disease.

The only difference between POIS and Celiac is the cause of the disorder; while us its orgasm that causes inflmattion in the brain, for Celiac its gluten that causes the inflammation. So by all means don't waste your time trying to have a gluten free diet because you will have no results!

Thank you for acknowledging my post!

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18048 on: 09/04/2013 22:28:10 »
Long story short,

IL-15 blockers
Interleukin 15 blocker
Celiac disease symptoms

I've been gluten free for 1.5 years, and gluten-casein free for 6 months. It didn't really help with post-sex symptoms, probably didn't help much with adrenal/thyroid issues, and caused me a lot of stress. Now I consume gluten with moderation, and goat/sheep casein. I'm not celiac, but so many say it damages intestinal walls and villi that I prefer being cautious. Some say that a leaky gut is the source of autoimmune diseases, and one of the causes of chronic inflammation.
The problem with gluten/casein sensitivity (not celiac disease) is that a fully reliable test does not exist, so one could try a 30 days challenge completely gluten/casein free and see how it goes. Cutting all grains at this stage can be useful too (yes, you will survive). Then reintroduce them one by one and see the reactions.
Inflammatory indicators are high CRP, high ferritin with low serum iron,...
Inflammation can be kept under control limiting sugars, eating moderate amounts of the right carbs (insulin control), using fish/krill oil or curcumin, fixing adrenals/thyroid to name few ways. Prescription drugs can't be a viable long-term solution, in my view, because of the side effects, and because they won't address the root cause anyway, while just suppressing the symptoms.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #18049 on: 10/04/2013 04:55:57 »
Hi Erik - we're thrilled to have you as a contributor, thanks for writing.

I agree that my POIS likely has an auto-immune component.  When I take advil / ibuprofen, I typically get a few hours of increased mood and more fluid thought.  This was such a big breakthrough for me last year, that I asked to be put on a 24-hour NSAID.  I felt better the 1st day, but after that I returned to my same groggy state. 

So auto-immune does play a role with me, I just don't believe it plays a large role.  I also had my total IgE levels tested and was within the reference range for whatever that counts for. 

Part of Herman's theory is that some of us with 'pois' (Herman doesn't recognize pois so I put it in quotes) are in an inflammatory state and the rest of us are in an infection state.  To me, there seems to be some validity to that argument.  If we took a poll, I bet you many people here would identify with one or the other, and not many to both. 

In the same vein, I think it'd be interesting to split the forum up into an infection group and an inflammation group.  I have a feeling that we'd see some trends surface of similar symptoms and successful treatments within the respective groups . 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #18049 on: 10/04/2013 04:55:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums