The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6456190 times)

Offline LuckyMistake

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #18250 on: 31/05/2013 13:13:09 »
Only took Valium twice yesterday.. 1 breakfast 1 lunch time. Skipped dinner pill but followed flaxseed and bath.  1 O last night. Woke up this morning  very dull Ache. 2 out of 10.  There is still much improvement but again early. 

**update had a O this morning. Took a warm bath.. No more ache but slight nauseous 2 out of 10. May be hungry or meds from other day. Didnt take pills yet
« Last Edit: 31/05/2013 14:38:18 by LuckyMistake »

Offline Gbolduev

• View Profile
« Reply #18251 on: 01/06/2013 00:00:05 »
Why would anyone take  valium to  increase GABA if there is zinc  to do it, I dont get.  Valium  lowers acethycholine same as zinc...

Offline shen mue

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18252 on: 01/06/2013 07:19:23 »
Hi there,

I'm 26, pretty tall, rather thin with some muscles from sports...sounds like a dating site beginning probably :)

My most important symptoms are...
always:
- hay fever and possibly other allergies, my tonsils are often infected
- I can eat a lot or often have to but don't gain weight (overactive thyroid?)
- ED, low libido, weak orgasms, CPPS

when suffering from POIS:
- fatigue
- brain-fog, find it very hard to concentrate
- tingling legs
- frequent infections, swollen tonsils
- lower back and hamstring pain is worse, as is CPPS
- depression, happens directly after orgasm and stays for 1-2 days, I actually find it pretty uncomfortable to cuddle after sex although I normally enjoy it very much

My POIS is not as bad as what others describe but still very annoying. I switched coffee with green tea the other day and two days alter I noticed that my ED is not anywhere near as bad ever since (libido still low, orgasms still weak). Also: I had a green tea right after POIS hit me the other day and my symptoms went down to 40-50% right away. Fenugreek used to help me (accidentally stumbled when looking for ways to improve libido.)

Here's some tests (made in Austria):

Ferritin :        115 ng/ml                     30-400
Iron:              102 ug/dl                     59-158
Transferrine:  227 mg/dl                    210-340

Cholesterine:        190 mg/dl             < 200
HDL-Cholesterine: 50 mg/dl              > 55
LDL-Cholesterine: 55 mg/dl              < 150

calcium:         2.23 umol/l                   2.10-2.65
magnesium:  0.87 umol/l                   0.66-1.07
Zinc:              126 umol/l                    60-120
VitB12:           483 umol/l                   191-663

TSH :              1.54 mU/l                    0.27-4.20
Testosterone: 9.14 ng/ml                  2.49-8.36 for men my age
DHEA:            516.2 mcg/dl               160-449

That was a general test I made cause it's covered by my health insurance, I have lots of other data in case of interest. Background: at the time of the test, I had supplemented about 15mg of Zinc, 10mg of DHEA, Fish Oil and Vit D for a couple of weeks. Excess testosterone and DHEA and low HDL Cholesterine are probably from supplementing DHEA...

Any takers for a couple of questions:

- is the Zinc high because I supplemented, because I have excess Zinc or both? How long does it take until you alter your results drastically? What other tests do I need to find out if my copper is low or high?
- the weak orgasms and libido are the most annoying part since I learned how to reduce my POIS symptoms; any ideas? Weak adrenals? I feel like I have a lot of symptoms of overactive thyroid and increased methylation, but the low libido and weak orgasms don't match that at all. Also the high testosterone doesn't seem to have any effect at all (SHBG and Estrogen were pretty low in a test that was one year old). I also didn't suffer any trauma or have any anxieties regarding sex...

any suggestions on what to do about it?

thanks in advance,
shen mue

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18253 on: 01/06/2013 09:22:39 »
Shen Mue,

few questions for you:

- what was your DHEA/DHEAS before supplementing it? Why have you decided you needed it, and have you noticed any improvement from taking it?
- what makes you think you are an overmethylator? Do you benefit from B3, folic acid and B12, and can't tolerate methyl-folate, methyl-B12 or TMG?
- have you tested your progesterone, besides estradiol?
- what are your high-tyroid symptoms, besides being unable to gain weight?

Few comments on what you say:

- your total testo is optimal, it seems high because of the low upper range of your lab. I haven't seen my testo ever increase even on 50mg DHEA
- your TSH is optimal too. But to have a proper assessment of thyroid function from blood tests you also need to see FT4, FT3 and possibly rT3
- it is possible that your adrenal function is weak compared to thyroid function, but this needs being confirmed by signs, symptoms and labs
- it is likely that weak adrenals are contributing to your immune system weakness, allergies and possibly a catabolic state (underweight)
- serum metals (zinc, copper) are often not very reliable to evaluate the actual mineral state in your tissues. Especially to determine if you are copper deficient or copper toxic, you often have to use some indirect evidence (hormones, ferritin, ceruloplasmin)
- the facts that you feel better after removing cofee also points to potential adrenal/blood sugar management issues
- supplementing zinc alone (although 15mg is low) might not be optimal. There might be a need to balance with manganese and copper (possibly not iron in your case), depending on the adrenals/thyroid adrenal status.
- being underweight can also be caused by malabsorption (gut issues, dysbiosis, food sensitivities, yeast ifnections), besides imbalanced metabolism
- immune weakness can leave you subject to recurring viral infections like EBV/CMV/Herpes. Recurring infections are a constant source of toxicity for the body. They will eventually go away once you have found a way to balance yourself.
- heavy metals are often part of  the picture, although not easy to spot, and controversial on how to eliminate them. They should also be better excreted once you are more mineral/hormonal balanced.

I match many points of your situation (immune weakness, catabolic state, allergies). My situation is weak adrenals and strong thyroid. But this is confirmed by 2 years of tests, therapies and investigation.
I've been recently working both on improving methylation and on balancing Zn/Mn/Cu, and I'm not getting any infections and allergies much improved. POIS still there, but just for 1 day.

You have some possibilities to answers your question marks:

- Watch your symptoms: do you feel more energetic in the evening rather than when you wake-up? Do you tend to drag yourself for the first part of the day? Do you feel sleepy after eating? Do you have sleep problems? Do you alternate feeling of being cold (which you can't tolerate) to being warm? Then it's probably adrenals.

- Watch your signs: take your oral temperatures with a non-digital thermometer every day for a week, at least when you wake-up and around 3-4PM (if you can at noon too). If their average fluctuate a lot from day by day, then it's adrenal weakness. If you have PM peaks above 37.1-37.2C, then it's also high thyroid.
Take your blood pressure when you are lying for at least 10 mins (eg at wake-up time before you get up). Then stand up and take it again. If it decreases, it's adrenal weakness. It should ideally slightly increase.
Take your Heart Rate too. If it goes above 90, it is indicative of hyperactive thyroid.
There are several ways to do simple cheap tests before doing expensive labs.

- You want to take some labs. To have a clue of your adrenal status, take a salivar test. Blood cortisol is not very reliable.

- You want to take blood tests. I recently try to stick to these. You probably have already taken most of them:

Complete Blood Count
Sodium               
Potassium         
Calcium               
Magnesium       
Phosphorus       
Ionized calcium               
Iron                       
Ferritin
TIBC
Ceruloplasmin                 

TSH
FT4
FT3
(rT3)

Blood Sugar
Insulin
Vit D3   
Cortisol
Aldosterone
Renin
DHEA-S
Testosterone
Testosterone Free
Progesterone
17-beta-estradiol
SHGB
Prolactin

I hope this helps and gives some new ideas.

johanstefansson

« Reply #18254 on: 01/06/2013 09:38:01 »
I am gonna try to see if i put to much physical strain on my testicals. Realizing sitting by computer is not good for the balls as they are squeezed together. Gonna try to sit more open legged.

Offline LAPOISSE2

• View Profile
« Reply #18255 on: 01/06/2013 12:15:46 »
I did the test Herman ask me to do :

Free T3 : 2,72    RV : 1,70-3,70
Free T4 : 14,20  RV : 4,10-18,5
TSH      : 0,740  RV : 0,350 - 4,94
Potassium : 4,3nmol/l  RV : 3,5-5,1
Sodium     : 138nmol/l RV : 136-145
Chlore       : 101nmol/l  RV : 98-107
iron serum : 101ug/de   RV 60-160
Ferritin    : 101,6ng/ml    RV : 21,8-274
Calcium   : 2,58nmol/l         RV : 2,10-2,55
Magnesium : 20mg/l        RV : 16-26

I'm waiting for ceruloplasmin that i'll get in a week.

From what I see, everything is pretty normal especially thyroid.

The only thing that could show something is Calcium, but not much high ; High calcium is apparently hyperparathyroidy in most of the case ; The symtoms of that perfectly match with POIS especially mentals one.I did suplement Vit D but not that much and not for long time so I dont' think high calcium come from that.
Any comments ?

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18256 on: 01/06/2013 13:29:31 »
I did the test Herman ask me to do :

Free T3 : 2,72    RV : 1,70-3,70
Free T4 : 14,20  RV : 4,10-18,5
TSH      : 0,740  RV : 0,350 - 4,94
Potassium : 4,3nmol/l  RV : 3,5-5,1
Sodium     : 138nmol/l RV : 136-145
Chlore       : 101nmol/l  RV : 98-107
iron serum : 101ug/de   RV 60-160
Ferritin    : 101,6ng/ml    RV : 21,8-274
Calcium   : 2,58nmol/l         RV : 2,10-2,55
Magnesium : 20mg/l        RV : 16-26

I'm waiting for ceruloplasmin that i'll get in a week.

From what I see, everything is pretty normal especially thyroid.

The only thing that could show something is Calcium, but not much high ; High calcium is apparently hyperparathyroidy in most of the case ; The symtoms of that perfectly match with POIS especially mentals one.I did suplement Vit D but not that much and not for long time so I dont' think high calcium come from that.
Any comments ?

About (very slightly) high calcium, have your PTH and Vit D3 tested to rule out hyperpara or D overdosing. It can be an idea to test ionized calcium too next time.
Sodium is a pinch low maybe, ideal is about 141. Check if you had aldosterone/renin in some recent labs, and they were OK. Do you have postural (orthostatic) hypotension?
Your TSH is a little on the low side, even though plain FT3/FT4 values don't fully suggest overactive thyroid. Check your temps and heart rate as I suggested in my previous post.

Offline fornicationDENIED2

• View Profile
« Reply #18257 on: 01/06/2013 14:33:18 »
I am taking Azulfidine, and just dicovered it causes reduced absorption of folic acid and digoxin (Lanoxin). Reduced folic acid absorption may cause folic acid deficiency and result in anemia. Reduced digoxin absorption may reduce the effectiveness of digoxin. I am also having slight symptoms of enlarged prostate, wich can be caused by zinc deficiency. 

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #18258 on: 01/06/2013 16:54:20 »
My POIS is not as bad as what others describe but still very annoying. I switched coffee with green tea the other day and two days alter I noticed that my ED is not anywhere near as bad ever since (libido still low, orgasms still weak). Also: I had a green tea right after POIS hit me the other day and my symptoms went down to 40-50% right away. Fenugreek used to help me (accidentally stumbled when looking for ways to improve libido.)

Does fenugreek still help you? I've made a compilation of all of our fenugreek trials at our main forum so I want to add your trial to the rest. I've found that green tea potentiates fenugreek for me.

If possible it'd be helpful if you could provide details like which symptoms it improved most, whether you took it before or after orgasm, how long the trial was, and how many orgasms you had during the period.
« Last Edit: 01/06/2013 17:21:06 by Vincent M »

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #18259 on: 01/06/2013 17:10:53 »
- Watch your symptoms: do you feel more energetic in the evening rather than when you wake-up? Do you tend to drag yourself for the first part of the day? Do you feel sleepy after eating? Do you have sleep problems? Do you alternate feeling of being cold (which you can't tolerate) to being warm?

for me it's a definite yes to all of them

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18260 on: 01/06/2013 17:48:12 »
- Watch your symptoms: do you feel more energetic in the evening rather than when you wake-up? Do you tend to drag yourself for the first part of the day? Do you feel sleepy after eating? Do you have sleep problems? Do you alternate feeling of being cold (which you can't tolerate) to being warm?

for me it's a definite yes to all of them

Regardless of sex, and just aggravated by sex? Definite yes to all of them = adrenal dysfunction to some degree, and possibly related blood sugar issues.
You might want to take a salivar cortisol/DHEA test just to have a clue. Besides taking temps and blood pressure.
Good luck.

Offline Kima

• View Profile
« Reply #18261 on: 01/06/2013 19:33:03 »
urano75  You are cured, as your treatment helps?

regards , Kima

« Last Edit: 01/06/2013 19:35:06 by Kima »

Offline shen mue

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18262 on: 01/06/2013 19:49:04 »
vincent and urano: thanks for your answers. I'm pretty busy organizing my girlfriend's birthday ;) I'll try to provide an extensive answer tomorrow...

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18263 on: 01/06/2013 19:54:29 »
urano75  You are cured, as your treatment helps?

regards , Kima

Kima,
I haven't offered any treatment actually, nor I intend to. Because I'm still learning while working on myself, and there is not a universal answer for everyone here.
I am just sharing some information I've gathered while working on my adrenals/thyroid in the last couple of years in several different ways, hoping it can be useful to someone. I've done some progress in many ways, but not yet come to a complete solution of my health concerns. If you read my posts, you know my story.
I think that if one wants to solve POIS, paradoxically it's better to forget about POIS for awhile and look at all the other unbalanced things, and try to find a pattern. It's likely that while solving all the rest also POIS will go away in many cases.

Offline Prancer

• View Profile
« Reply #18264 on: 01/06/2013 20:18:08 »
Regardless of sex, and just aggravated by sex? Definite yes to all of them = adrenal dysfunction to some degree, and possibly related blood sugar issues.
You might want to take a salivar cortisol/DHEA test just to have a clue. Besides taking temps and blood pressure.
Good luck.

pretty much all the time, but it's aggravated following sex. also pois makes my blood sugar seem a little low sometimes

and thanks for the tips!

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18265 on: 01/06/2013 20:46:28 »
Good luck.

pretty much all the time, but it's aggravated following sex. also pois makes my blood sugar seem a little low sometimes

and thanks for the tips!

yep underactive adrenals (e.g. insufficient cortisol) are often associated to hypoglycemia/reactive hypoglycemia, which will become more evident after sex, overexercising etc... try avoid stimulants and sugar, and consume only moderate amounts of complex carbs, and see if that helps a bit.

Offline bokonon

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18266 on: 02/06/2013 19:22:38 »
Hello everyone,

I have been following this forum for a number of years, but haven't felt compelled to post anything before. I simply haven't had anything to contribute. I have, however, suffered from the same symptoms described here over and over again, i.e. flu-like symptoms, lethargy, brainfog, terrible mood etc, after o-ing for at least 7-8 years. Like many of you, I've been getting increasingly frustrated over not being able to find help anywhere. I have made several attempts at adressing these issues through the public health system in my native Sweden, to no avail. The same goes for all I've read here on this forum and elsewhere on the internet.

Anyway, the important point I wish to make today is that I've suffered from several other health issues during these years that seem to have gone hand in hand with POIS, i.e. have become increasingly bad at the same rate. My primary health problem is psoriasis. I've also had problems with inflammations in different parts of my body (jaws, knees, shoulders), migraines and mental issues like depression (the list is much longer but perhaps beside the point). Since going gluten (and lactose) free  a week ago, however, almost all of my health issues have improved dramatically. I can't stress enough what a massive improvement I have experienced after only one week (!) on a gluten and lactose free diet. True to the Nordic stereotype I rarely blurt out words like "miracle" but really can't help myself at the moment. It's been a miracle!

So what does this have to do with POIS? Well, I suspect that perhaps even my POIS has improved. The problem is that there is really no way for me to experiment with O-ing right now since I have a very busy schedule the next few weeks and can't possibly allow them to be destroyed by POIS symptoms if my theory turns out to be false.

So my question to all of you is: has anyone else tried going gluten and lactose free and did that affect your POIS symptoms?

I apologize if this topic has already been covered on this forum. Even though I try to stay updated I could easily have missed it. If so, perhaps someone could recap what's been said or point me in the right direction. If not, I will follow up this post with some (amateur) theories on why gluten sensitivity might be a (or the) cause of our problems.

Cheers

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #18267 on: 02/06/2013 19:41:13 »
So my question to all of you is: has anyone else tried going gluten and lactose free and did that affect your POIS symptoms?

If I remember correctly I think the majority of our members who've tried going gluten free have noticed some small improvement. Some have noticed large improvements in pois symptoms while some had no improvement. I know a few noticed a small improvement from avoiding lactose, but I'm not sure other than that.

In my case I get a barely noticeable relief in pois symptoms if I avoid gluten for a week or so, but when I've tried avoiding lactose it made no difference in my condition.

You might get a better response at our main forum at poiscenter, where you could create a thread for this topic.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #18268 on: 02/06/2013 20:03:40 »
Good luck.

and thanks for the tips!

yep underactive adrenals (e.g. insufficient cortisol) are often associated to hypoglycemia/reactive hypoglycemia, which will become more evident after sex, overexercising etc... try avoid stimulants and sugar, and consume only moderate amounts of complex carbs, and see if that helps a bit.

One thing that's been really helping my adrenal fatigue/ blood sugar issues is to eat a balanced meal, fats and proteins being especially important, whenever I get that weak and hungry feeling.  We all know the feeling of our bodies going weak with hunger, and what I've noticed is that if I don't eat within the hour, my body completely shuts down.  While this practice of mine doesn't make my good days great, it has significantly helped me reduce the bad days. 

Eating heavy meals makes me shut down too, but I've recently realized that it was never the food that was the enemy.... the enemy was not eating often enough.  If you get really hungry and then eat a big meal, you're going to crash really hard.  However, the problem wasn't eating too much, it was waiting too long to eat.   

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #18269 on: 02/06/2013 20:18:38 »
I think that if one wants to solve POIS, paradoxically it's better to forget about POIS for awhile and look at all the other unbalanced things, and try to find a pattern. It's likely that while solving all the rest also POIS will go away in many cases.

I really like that point.  Searching for the silver bullet has wasted years of my time and tons of money.  But improving my health one step at a time has added up.  Some, like questforlife, have added up small improvements to feeling 95% better. 

If you think about POIS as Urano does in the line above, then there was no point in "trying" the red yeast rice pills and the CoQ10 and all the other things that I purchased wanting to "give it a shot". 
« Last Edit: 02/06/2013 20:27:26 by B_Daniel »

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18270 on: 02/06/2013 21:12:32 »

Bokonon,
I've been gluten free for more than 1 year and dairy free for 6 months, with no real evident improvements and some stress. I still try to limit gluten and prefer goat dairy. There's a lot of fuss around about gluten and A-Casein to be detrimental to gut health and trigger autoimmunity and inflammation.

But then, you suffer autoimmune conditions (psoriasis) and have seen a dramatic improvement only 1 week after being gluten-lactose free. Wow! So it's easy for you to find a direction right now. Stay completely gluten and dairy free for at very least 1 month, and see how it goes. If you see improvements, the longer you stay clean the better. Then try to reintroduce 1 thing at a time, e.g. goat cheese, then cow dairy, finally gluten, and see how you react to each. If you react bad, step back.

If you confirm gluten/casein sensitiveness or lactose intolerance, likely the status of your gut is the origin of this (possibly leaky gut). You can help yourself with digestive enzymes containing DPP-IV and lactase and see if they work when you are exposed. But you'll have to let your gut the time to get fixed. So staying away from simple sugars and alcohol is also a good idea, and deal with possible yeast infections. Because you won't like to stay gluten/dairy free forever, and possibly food sensitiveness will decrease or disappear after healing the intestine.

If not done yet, also have a test for celiac and hashimoto's antibodies, as well as your thyroid function and adrenals status.
Good luck!

Offline Kima

• View Profile
« Reply #18271 on: 03/06/2013 05:50:10 »
hi guys, my syndrom is getting better after i use protein powder. It really helps, about 96%.. I should have tried it after i read, it was a little bit too late. I luckily coincidentally took a protein powder at the supermarket, drank it after ejaculation, and miracle happened....

What firm Protein?

regards, Kima

Offline shen mue

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18272 on: 03/06/2013 14:46:58 »

Does fenugreek still help you? I've made a compilation of all of our fenugreek trials at our main forum so I want to add your trial to the rest. I've found that green tea potentiates fenugreek for me.

If possible it'd be helpful if you could provide details like which symptoms it improved most, whether you took it before or after orgasm, how long the trial was, and how many orgasms you had during the period.

I've stopped taking fenugreek for the time being since it didn't seem to do thaaat much and I was annoyed by taking too many pills (fish oil, vit d, vit b, garlic etc.). At the moment I only take fish oil and some vit d but I will reintroduce fenugreek once I get home (there's an unopened can there...). Thanks for the tip with green tea, I will try it. I tried not to care about POIS too much at the time so I didn't pay too much attention. I will be more accurate this time when I take it again and then get back to you.

Offline shen mue

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18273 on: 03/06/2013 14:51:31 »
"what was your DHEA/DHEAS before supplementing it? Why have you decided you needed it, and have you noticed any improvement from taking it?"

I have no idea what it was beforehand, my testosterone was much lower but the increase could have also been due to me taking fish oil and vit d, eating healthier and avoiding stress. My doc here suggested trying DHEA and see how it impacts my libido. It didn't do a great deal; I think I feel a little bit better with it but don't see any major changes.

"what makes you think you are an overmethylator? Do you benefit from B3, folic acid and B12, and can't tolerate methyl-folate, methyl-B12 or TMG?"

regarding methylation: I really have no clue here and I'm probably wrong. I guess I should get my histamine level checked; considering how niacin impacts me I suspect it's low but that might be wrong...any suggestions on test here?

"have you tested your progesterone, besides estradiol"

nope

"what are your high-tyroid symptoms, besides being unable to gain weight"

my heart is pounding strongly often, frequent bowel movements (no diarrhea), fatigue, weakness, hair loss (might be genetic...)

"your total testo is optimal, it seems high because of the low upper range of your lab. I haven't seen my testo ever increase even on 50mg DHEA"

that's good to hear

"being underweight can also be caused by malabsorption (gut issues, dysbiosis, food sensitivities, yeast ifnections), besides imbalanced metabolism"

I bloat a lot, which is worst during POIS. That could be related to CPPS to a certain extent, but since its much worse after eating I guess its related to some insensitivities. I tried no gluten, low carb, no dairy for a couple of weeks but didn't see any improvements. Actually low carb diets make me very tired...

"Watch your symptoms: do you feel more energetic in the evening rather than when you wake-up? Do you tend to drag yourself for the first part of the day? Do you feel sleepy after eating? Do you have sleep problems? Do you alternate feeling of being cold (which you can't tolerate) to being warm? Then it's probably adrenals."

I do feel ok when I wake up but then often crash a couple of hours later (cortisol? blood sugar?). I don't have sleep problems but I feel very sleepy after eating. I don't have the alternate feeling of being cold and warm either.

"Watch your signs: take your oral temperatures with a non-digital thermometer every day for a week, at least when you wake-up and around 3-4PM (if you can at noon too). If their average fluctuate a lot from day by day, then it's adrenal weakness. If you have PM peaks above 37.1-37.2C, then it's also high thyroid.
Take your blood pressure when you are lying for at least 10 mins (eg at wake-up time before you get up). Then stand up and take it again. If it decreases, it's adrenal weakness. It should ideally slightly increase.
Take your Heart Rate too. If it goes above 90, it is indicative of hyperactive thyroid.
There are several ways to do simple cheap tests before doing expensive labs."

thanks, I'll do that and I guess that answers most of my questions above...

"You want to take some labs. To have a clue of your adrenal status, take a salivar test. Blood cortisol is not very reliable."

will do

"You want to take blood tests. I recently try to stick to these. You probably have already taken most of them:

..."

my vit d was ok last time after quite some time of substantial supplementing. My blood sugar was low at the time of the other tests. My mother has diabetes so I might try to make her lend me one of her testing devices...

When you say blood sugar issues might be associated with weak adrenals, how would that translate into blood sugar levels? low, high, fluctuating?

In any case, thanks very much for the help, I don't have a lot of knowledge on these issues and appreciate any help. And while I try to accumulate information, I don't want to overdo it and thereby increase stress too much...

shen mue

Offline urano75

• View Profile
« Reply #18274 on: 04/06/2013 08:37:27 »
Shen Mue,

yes, don't overdo with investigations and don't get stressed about it. Gather the info, then make up your mind on how to move in health jungle :-)

I'm not aware of any totally reliable blood tests to assess one's methylation status. Homocysteine, and possibly methylmalonic acid, might give a clue. Then there are the genetic testings to determine MTHFR polymorphism, which I've seen discussed here sometimes. I don't really know if testing histamine or glutathione would really shed a light on this... There are people here more expert in methylation than me. I would also be interested to learn if one can actually determine under/over-methylation from labs, directly or indirectly.

Insufficient cortisol production is often correlated to hypoglycemia and sugar drops after meals. Adrenal dysfunction can also mean a mix of low-high cortisol during the day (salivar tests give a clue about it), so you might see a mixed behaviour. Also there are different degrees of adrenal fatigue/dysfunction. But then, there are other factors in play to control blood sugar management, such as insulin production and insulin resistance.
As you have it handy, you might play a bit with a glucometer. Take tests AM fasting, then 30, 60 ,120 mins (or 45 and 90 mins if you want to spare strips and time) after each meal, for 5-7 consecutive days. Take multiple tests each time because I've seen these values fluctuating a lot, then average them out.
Ideally, you do not want blood sugar to go over 140 and under 75-80 after a meal. If it goes over 140 consistently, either you are eating too many carbs, or there is something going on with your insulin (insufficient or resistance). If it goes under 75-80 repeatedly, there might be a reactive hypoglycemia possibly caused by insufficient cortisol. If you can't figure it out this way, you can take a Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) with both sugar and insulin measurements, and watch at their curves.

If you will decide to go for a salivar cortisol/DHEA, stop adrenals-affecting supplementation (DHEA) at least 2 weeks before.

I hope this helps.
Andrea

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #18274 on: 04/06/2013 08:37:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums