The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6459947 times)

Offline romies

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #19625 on: 29/07/2014 04:50:28 »
My update:

It's been a while since I post my progress, since life has been very busy.

In short, I am doing much better, having POIS under a manageable control: I do not worry about having orgasm any more (a big plus for my relationship with my partner)

Unless I have too many orgasms (twice a night straight for 2+ days), I have no more cognitive problems.

My daily regimen is now simplified to:
morning: Vitamin D, MethylGuard(1 capsule), Ginkgo Biloba extract (1 capsule), Fish Oil
vyvanse for my ADHD

before sleep: ZMA (1 capsule, to get some Mg and Zn), Vitamin C (100mg)

For the days I have orgasms, I take 1 tab 12-hr 100mg 5-HTP and NADH before sleep
I also take 1 capsule of NADH, and 100mg of Tyrosine upon wake-up the day after.

My main problem is low BH4 from A1298C variant, that makes me low in dopamine, Norepinephrine and seretonin. 5-htp helps on replenishing serotonin, and tyrosine helps on replenishing dopamine.
Vitamin C helps converting Dopamine to Norepinephrine

I realize that I also have low Norepinephrine, after realizing my POIS symptoms can be completed eliminated by taking a 24-hr Claritin-D (even if I need to take it right before sleep). Interestingly, the active ingredient is actually pseudoephedrine, that stimulate the release of Norepinephrine in brain. However, pseudoephedrine has a lot of other side effects, and depletes dopamine in my brain, so I don't take it as a long term solution.

5-htp can be converted to serotonin without consuming Bh4, which I need to save for dopamine...

Notice: there are many causes of POIS, and what works for me is probably only relevant to people with low BH4 (+ low dopamine and serotonin)

Offline romies

• View Profile
« Reply #19626 on: 29/07/2014 04:55:25 »
Check this out guys: http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/dopamine-beta-hydroxylase-deficiency [nofollow]

DBH should be diagnosable through blood testing of Norepinephrine and epinephrine, coupled with genetic testing such as 23andme.

Those symptoms listed can be also caused by many other reasons, such as A1298C mutation, that reduces L-dopa level (a necessary ingredient to make Dopamine, Norepinephrine, epinephrine)
http://mthfr.net/mthfr-a1298c-mutation-some-information-on-a1298c-mthfr-mutations/2011/11/30/ [nofollow]
http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs1801131 [nofollow]

Offline desperate man

• View Profile
« Reply #19627 on: 29/07/2014 13:03:15 »
I know MTHFR inside and out, because I've worked with Dr. Lynch before and my work consists of researching (which I rarely do successfully nowadays bc of compulsive masturbation followed by POIS and low dopamine).

I also suggest looking into COMT since you are familiar with 23andme. It will lead to adrenal burnout in the long run. Royal jelly will help increase BH4 production.

Been there, done that. Vitamins, minerals from A-Z. Methyl B-s, digestive enzymes, probiotics etc.
Nothing worked besides L-Tyrosine which gave me severe anxiety so I stopped it.

Now I suspect longterm iodine deficiency. So I decided to give it a shot, but it made my blood sugar problems worse. It is because my adrenals are out of whack and I'm in overdrive from the COMT.
Going to follow this guy's dietary protein/carb ratio suggestions: http://ehealthforum.com/health/proteins-trigger-low-blood-sugar-t185956.html followed by megadosing of vitamin C (5-10 g /day), spending less time on the computer and going to bed earlier as well as limiting ejaculation. I've also ordered Skullcap and going to up my magnesium intake. If things will get better then I will give Iodine another shot. I think it's the root cause of my chronic anemia and it's worth mentioning.

PS: Anyone tried taking glucose tablets before or after orgasm? How did it affect you?
« Last Edit: 29/07/2014 14:28:52 by desperate man »

Offline romies

• View Profile
« Reply #19628 on: 29/07/2014 17:53:54 »
I know MTHFR inside and out, because I've worked with Dr. Lynch before and my work consists of researching (which I rarely do successfully nowadays bc of compulsive masturbation followed by POIS and low dopamine).

I also suggest looking into COMT since you are familiar with 23andme. It will lead to adrenal burnout in the long run. Royal jelly will help increase BH4 production.

Been there, done that. Vitamins, minerals from A-Z. Methyl B-s, digestive enzymes, probiotics etc.
Nothing worked besides L-Tyrosine which gave me severe anxiety so I stopped it.

It is great that you investigated MTHFR completely. My personal experience is my genetic makeup is only part of the whole equation and I try to get more lab testing (blood or urine if possible) to find out the real levels of various vitamin/neurotransmitter metabolite in me.

Now I suspect longterm iodine deficiency. So I decided to give it a shot, but it made my blood sugar problems worse. It is because my adrenals are out of whack and I'm in overdrive from the COMT.
Going to follow this guy's dietary protein/carb ratio suggestions: http://ehealthforum.com/health/proteins-trigger-low-blood-sugar-t185956.html [nofollow] followed by megadosing of vitamin C (5-10 g /day), spending less time on the computer and going to bed earlier as well as limiting ejaculation. I've also ordered Skullcap and going to up my magnesium intake. If things will get better then I will give Iodine another shot. I think it's the root cause of my chronic anemia and it's worth mentioning.

PS: Anyone tried taking glucose tablets before or after orgasm? How did it affect you?

Lont term iodine deficiency can be tested with thyroid hormone levels and iodine levels directly.

Glucose levels: have you try to measure your blood glucose level with a home glucose meter? 5 years ago I suspected low blood glucose as a reason for my POIS as well, but my test shows my level pretty much the same on POIS and non-POIS days (+-3%). It is pretty easy to test that out.

BTW, I also found magnesium helpful for me. I am in the US and generally US diet is magnesium poor.

Offline romies

• View Profile
« Reply #19629 on: 29/07/2014 20:35:25 »

I am MAOA R297R(-), COMT V158M(-/-), COMT H62H(-/-) and VDR Taq(+/+), a typical case of low dopamine. I've posted my entire methylation profile here before.

You said you had severe anxiety from Tyrosine. I wonder if you are low on serotonin as well, since serotonin also needs BH4, VB6 and others (very similar to Dopamine) to be produced from tryptophan.

For me, taking 5-htp (12hr time-released) increase my serotonin, calms me down from anxiety, and gives me more energy (by channeling bh4 for dopamine generation).
Serotonin does not require COMT to be metabolized, so likely you are fine.

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #19630 on: 30/07/2014 00:27:04 »
Nightingale,

Good to see you back. I read your article on dopamine and I admire your guts in undertaking electroconvulsive therapy. I am glad that it is working for you.

I remember that you have MAOA R279R (+) http://snpedia.com/index.php/Rs6323
Usually this variant causes dopamine level too high, and results in psychosis.
Also this variant make it very hard for you to tolerate 5htp supplement, because you may quickly go from deficiency to excess on serotonin.

There is a medicine that directly correct this problem for some people: http://www.respena.com/respen-A/respenAclinical.pdf
that increase MAOA activity specifically.

Antipsychotic medicines typically just block dopamine D2 receptors in the brain without actually lowering the dopamine levels.

I also recommend running this report on your 23andme results: http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Promethease

It has lots of information on what medicine may or may not work for you due to your genetic make up. For example, my dad was able to switch to a more effective medicine for his bipolar disorder, after we found his genetics does not properly transport several SSRI over the brain-blood barrier, including the med he has been taking for years. Now he can take a much lower dose on a more effective med.

Also, this diagram may be helpful to you to see what neurotransmitter you are deficient: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NorepinephrineDopamineSerotonin.png

Romie S

Cool. Thanks for the reponse.

I have run Promethease before, I don't recall any obvious changes I needed to make but it's been a while so it wouldn't hurt to run it again.

This homeopathic you recommended... I have no idea how I am to obtain that if I need a prescription without finding a doctor who would have an understanding of homeopathy. I personally don't understand it, but if there's a chance it would help I'm still curious. It does say that its designation is officially as an anti-hypertensive, which is a danger sign for me. I have had bad reactions to most meds that even make that effect in a small way.

I hate taking meds, I honestly do. I'm lucky to have found a few that I can actually tolerate daily. But things are not where I'd like them to be. I'll check with one of those doctors they list on their website if I don't respond during the research trial. I really do think that the neurotransmitter theory of mental health is flawed, and that understanding neural circuits and their function is going to fill in the holes in our comprehension of our mental health. Obviously, it is an important piece, but it's a dangerous one for me to experiment with.

I need to weigh this one out more. Thank you for the help, and I'm thrilled to hear you've found relief!
« Last Edit: 30/07/2014 00:31:07 by Nightingale »

Offline desperate man

• View Profile
« Reply #19631 on: 01/08/2014 12:25:55 »
My naturopath friend told me that my norepinephrine is too high and it doesn't convert to adrenaline. This causes adrenal insufficiency which would explain the daily struggle with hypoglycemia and the chronic fatigue, Lyme symptoms.
I don't know what's the truth behind this.

By the way I've read a thread on Longecity about a guy who were experimenting with nootropics and found out that increased norepinephrine will make you stupid. That's exactly how I feel. If I go for a week without ejaculation I feel intelligent with personality changes for the better but then again I've never checked my neurotransmitter levels before so all this is just hypothesis based on symptoms.

By the way BH4 not only makes serotonin but dopamine as well.

Offline GDR

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19632 on: 02/08/2014 04:07:21 »
Hi everyone. It has been a while since I have written something here. A couple of new developments for me. I am finding some definite relief in taking garlic oil capsules. I take a lot so I hope in the long run there is no health effects. At the moment I am using a regime of Vit B12 (methlycobalamin), Vitamin D3, garlic oil, L-Arginine, Chlorella and chia seeds. For the first time in years I am actually getting a proper erection. I also have something very curious happening to me after orgasm which I have never read before. On either side of my head in the exact spot I am feeling a tender spots. There is some slight relief as far as inflammation is which for me more than anything is photosensitivity (burning sensation of the eyes). I live in Taiwan where good acupuncture is available at cheap price so this is a path I will explore asap. I also find 5-HTCP to be hugely beneficial to me. I also keep the zn and mag supplements going as well. My discomfort has been reduced by 40-50%. Keep the good work moderators!

Offline George10

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19633 on: 02/08/2014 13:27:59 »
Hello,

I too used to have this issue. It began when I was 22 years old.  When I was 28 years old, I began experiencing terrible nausea and prostatic pain. When my Urologist could not find any sort of infection and no reason for the pain, I began experimenting with antifungal herbal remedies and over-the-counter medications. My pain went away and so did the POIS. I believe that the POIS was a result of yeast strapped inside my prostate and when I had an orgasm, my prostate released immediate fungus into my body and my immune system reacted to it. I believe this reaction caused the extreme fatigue, lethargy, dizziness, brain fog etc. Once in a while I still have POIS but it is never as bad as it used to be when I was younger. I also stay away from yeast-based foods such as breads, cheese and nuts. If this does not work for you, I read a few months ago about a man in his 60s who had terrible POIS and it turned out he had low levels of the hormone Progesterone. The man's POIS was also cured.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: 02/08/2014 13:34:44 by George10 »

Offline desperate man

• View Profile
« Reply #19634 on: 02/08/2014 23:41:17 »
Thank you for bringing up L-Carnitine. What kind of experiences do you guys have with it?
I'm willing to try it even though it warns against ingestion by people with poor glucose tolerance I really don't care anymore.
Wife was acting funny for too long and now found out that she's a pathological liar. My work has gone downhill and I'll most likely be replaced by someone that can put 100% focus on doing my job.

If this fails then I will sell all my belongings and leave my country in hope of becoming a Buddhist monk. I feel the exact same way as Nathan did, but I've attempted suicide once and it didn't work out.
I might as well be free from women, sex, masturbation and anything my body was not designed for. Life is too precious and we have a reason to live.

johanstefansson

« Reply #19635 on: 03/08/2014 18:45:33 »
Here is something interesting...

Had my ejaculation on Saturday the 26th July. Hell broke loose on Sunday with severe depression, however flu symptoms was delayed until Friday, quite strange actually.

This is quite different from earlier, usually the flu symptoms are more immediate... not this time.

Guess it took some time to brake down my immune system this time... was quite long time since last ejaculation. I have been on holiday and got lots of sun. Eaten well too. Its what I can think off.

What do you guys think is the reason for this partially delayed symptoms?

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #19636 on: 04/08/2014 05:40:41 »
Hello peoples.

I have returned with a small bit of useful info.

I have found a new regiment thats really helped me stave off unwanted nocturnal emissions.

I consume one Monster Energy Java drink a day. Thats it. Now how does this work? Not sure why this particular energy drink is so potent, but it seems to noticeably "desensitize" one as well as lower the sexual urge. I used to use dream control and take a muscle relaxer etc etc. For whatever reason though drinkin one of those Monster Java energy drinks a day has made avoiding NE's so much easier. Im not gonna even begin to dissect the reason, I just know that it works fairly well. Also relieves minor aches and pains, this particular brand of energy drink, so might be helpful for those who have O'ed as well? Anyways, fight the good fight. Im out. Peace.

Offline B_Jim

• post ejaculation tiredness, fatigue after orgasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19637 on: 04/08/2014 06:32:10 »
Hello peoples.

I have found a new regiment thats really helped me stave off unwanted nocturnal emissions.

I consume one Monster Energy Java drink a day. Thats it. Now how does this work? Not sure why this particular energy drink is so potent, but it seems to noticeably "desensitize" one as well as lower the sexual urge. I used to use dream control and take a muscle relaxer etc etc. For whatever reason though drinkin one of those Monster Java energy drinks a day has made avoiding NE's so much easier. Im not gonna even begin to dissect the reason, I just know that it works fairly well. Also relieves minor aches and pains, this particular brand of energy drink, so might be helpful for those who have O'ed as well? Anyways, fight the good fight. Im out. Peace.

=> Taurine (423mg) ?

The legend is these energy drinks are made with bulls semen. It's funny.
But taurine may be the ultimate key for Pois explanation.

Each time I eat fish like salmon, my Pois symptoms are much lower. . I don't have muscle twitch when I eat lot of fish. After ejaculation, my muscle twitching is maximum. Taurine is present in human semen [nofollow], even if in very low level.
I have posted some testimonies like this one [nofollow] . We have a woman member in the PoisCenter saying his husband has good improvement with taurine supplement (even if 1.5g a day is too much, 500mg a day seems safer)
I tought it was vitamin D. But vitamin D supplement don't really help.
I tought it was astaxhantin. Once again, astaxxhantin 4mg supplement didn't work.
I tought it was omega 3 (sperm is rich in DHA). Maybe DHA is involved but the fact is oil fish doesn't really help.
So what is the secret of fish ?

There is few taurine in fish oil, only in whole fish !

fish standard : 90 mg per 100g of dry product
capelin : 143
salmon : 130
mussels : 665
mackerel : 207
pork leaver : 90
oysters : 70
beaf standard : 35
yoghurt : 3.3
energy drink : 400 to 1000 (Red Bxxx) per can

I never drink energy drink anyway.

Too much taurine is a problem but not enough is a problem too. It's not a magic elixir but it's worth to boost the levels in blood to show its influcence or not on Pois.
300-500mg to 1000mg (not more) seems correct.

Welcome back Nathan !
« Last Edit: 06/08/2014 20:11:52 by B_Jim »

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #19638 on: 06/08/2014 06:10:27 »
Hello all,

As explained in my previous post, I attempted for bad thing on 26th, after taking those tablets, I realized importance of my life and our goal to remove POIS. Fortunately, I survived from my attempt and I was in ICU for two days and now back to normal life.  Presently praying god for a good job as I lost my previous job.  Thanks for the support provided to me.  I would be back again on trying things for cure at the earliest. 

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #19640 on: 07/08/2014 05:34:57 »
Hello all,

As explained in my previous post, I attempted for bad thing on 26th, after taking those tablets, I realized importance of my life and our goal to remove POIS. Fortunately, I survived from my attempt and I was in ICU for two days and now back to normal life.  Presently praying god for a good job as I lost my previous job.  Thanks for the support provided to me.  I would be back again on trying things for cure at the earliest. 

Hi Nathan :)

Best thing I've read in a long while... :):):) Let us know how your job search goes, ok?

Offline Jonas STHLM

• View Profile
« Reply #19641 on: 12/08/2014 12:25:50 »
I am a little bit curious to know if any of you have tried neuro feedback?

johanstefansson

« Reply #19642 on: 13/08/2014 13:27:29 »
http://psychcentral.com/lib/the-vicious-cycle-of-adult-add-shame-and-compulsive-sexuality/000520

that is me in a nutshell. haven't been porn surfing for some years now but i think it has alternated my mind significantly, never seen prostitutes thank god. i think my tinnitus boosted my problems significantly.

my parents have never really acknowledged my talents, thats really a shame, they also made me isolated as a young adult.

Offline Kima

• View Profile
« Reply #19643 on: 13/08/2014 20:14:02 »
Who tried to take large doses of nicotinamide? Helps symptoms disappear?

Offline Omen 30

• View Profile
« Reply #19644 on: 14/08/2014 20:17:14 »
i am on a casein free(dairy free) diet since a year and it had helped me a lot,and with that i take vitamin d supplement not daily but once in 10-15 days around 5000-10000iu.try it friends it has helped me a lot.

Offline desperate man

• View Profile
« Reply #19645 on: 15/08/2014 01:21:32 »
http://psychcentral.com/lib/the-vicious-cycle-of-adult-add-shame-and-compulsive-sexuality/000520

that is me in a nutshell. haven't been porn surfing for some years now but i think it has alternated my mind significantly, never seen prostitutes thank god. i think my tinnitus boosted my problems significantly.

my parents have never really acknowledged my talents, thats really a shame, they also made me isolated as a young adult.

It doesn't surprise me, buddy. The problem with POIS is that it's based on theories. Hundreds, thousands of theories. That article hit home. Our theories always start from people experiencing POIS.
What if we set a baseline and go from the ones who have a lack of experience with this devastating condition and say "it's all in your head"?

What if masturbation, ejaculation is normal and the problem lies in having an addictive personality? What if porn and compulsive masturbation are like HEROIN to us? What if our brain is wired differently because we had ADHD since a young age and been introduced to masturbation, magazines and porn as a child therefore it is the only thing that gives us that rush, that high which when ends, we suddenly awake to a cold and cruel world that our brain with lack of dopamine cannot appreciate and value? A sudden increase of prolactin for POIS and depleted DA levels for addictive behavior.

Started looking into genetics again. I want you to list me your lab tests of the following things:
- L-Tyrosine
- Iron
- Copper/Zinc
« Last Edit: 15/08/2014 01:26:16 by desperate man »

Offline randomuser784

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19646 on: 15/08/2014 01:29:24 »
I have only recently begun getting serious symptoms that prompted me to do some research and it looks exactly like POIS to me so far but the odd part is that I do not get any of the symptoms when masturbating, only after actual sex.

About 30 minutes after sex I get fatigue so serious that I have trouble keeping my eyes open and my mind feels so clouded I have trouble responding to things quickly or keeping a car on the road and even walking some of the time. I feel sick to my stomach to the point that it feels as if I may throw up but have not yet. Sometimes slightly pounding headaches happen as well as difficulty concentrating, difficulty thinking of the right words while speaking to someone and so on. Basically a bit of all of the symptoms with the fatigue and nausea being the worst.

EDIT:: The symptoms are all there even if I have been awake all day or just woke up, ate food recently or ate nothing.

It does not last as long as it seems it normally does though, either. The shortest recovery so far was 8 hours and the longest so far a day and a half, but that is still plenty of time to ruin appointments, work and other day to day events.

So does anyone else here only get it after actual sex and can still masturbate fine? Do any of you happen to know of anything else that matches this better than POIS since I can't seem to find any cases of POIS only after sex? The only other thing I can seem to find that is close would be anaphylaxis in response to an unknown condom allergy but that seems to be a very serious reaction and it seems unlikely that I would be getting such a lesser version of it.
« Last Edit: 15/08/2014 01:32:28 by randomuser784 »

Offline desperate man

• View Profile
« Reply #19647 on: 15/08/2014 23:42:32 »
I've been suspicious about personality issues responsible for POIS, but today further strengthened this theory. Get this; I ended up watching a youtube video about POIS and there was a guy in the comment section praising everyone because he thought he was alone in this condition all these years, and now he found people with the same issues. Wanted to send him a PM, but after clicking on his profile I saw that he likes the exact same fetishes a sane person would not like. He also has the same taste of music as me and this is a spanish guy thousands of miles from here. Wtf? I'll try to get a halt of him to discuss childhood traumas and other health problems for further evaluation. I am still shocked. There's another guy on POISCENTER (not naming him) who I consider the most desperate person looking to have a life without POIS, who added me as his friend on facebook but couldn't deal with the amount of PORN he shared publicly. It was truly sickening and embarassing.

So in cases like these one thing we can all agree on: supplements will NOT fix anything. The issue can arise from rare genetic conditions, childhood traumas, head traumas and personality disorders. I truly feel this is going to be a milestone for those who's POIS is related to the conditions mentioned above.

People like these need to have amino acid profiling and neurotransmitters and 23andMe done. Then we can go from there.
« Last Edit: 15/08/2014 23:56:30 by desperate man »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19648 on: 16/08/2014 02:03:21 »
<former Moderator visiting periodically>

Hello peoples.

Monster drinks have 400% more caffeine than same size Starbucks.

« Last Edit: 16/08/2014 03:24:10 by demografx »

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #19649 on: 16/08/2014 02:48:24 »
Randomuser - You are doing a lot better than many here if you can get over your pois in 8-35 hrs. It used to take me about 5 days when I was younger and now I'd say its 3 days (depending on how run down I am at the time).

As for pois and sex. For me pois is less after sex compared to masturbation. That's clear cut, and reading a number of stories here of others its also the case. I think the over stimulation from porn accounts for some/much of that imo. Condom allergy is irrelevant considering masturbation or wet dreams or in some cases even just looking at porn (no touching) can result in pois to various degrees for many here.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #19649 on: 16/08/2014 02:48:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums