The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6460776 times)

Offline Finally

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #1975 on: 14/11/2008 06:45:14 »
I just found this. I'm not sure if this has been referenced before here.  Alcohol also gives me similar effects as Pois

http://www.actionlove.com/extra/headache.htm
« Last Edit: 14/11/2008 06:48:41 by Finally »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: 14/11/2008 15:10:05 »
Maybe we should look for different keywords?
I didn't know about these words:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-coital_tristesse
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22875051/

Martin, very interesting! And in your 2nd link, the author points to skyrocketing prolactin!
« Last Edit: 14/11/2008 16:57:37 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: 14/11/2008 15:13:12 »
  While i was browsing i saw that a symptom for babies with hypothroidism is Jaundice and I had jaundice when i was baby, am just wondering who here had jaundice.
I have a little chronicle jaundice and after an important stress i become as yellow as this smiley :  :( 

B_Jim, your smiley should be  :)happy not  :(sad! After all, you have created a fantastic ongoing summary of The POIS Forum on Page 11! (Thank you for that!)
« Last Edit: 14/11/2008 15:25:32 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: 14/11/2008 15:32:00 »
LOCAL UNIVERSITY ENDOCRINOLOGISTS

Continuing my discussion about yesterday's talk with the local major University endocrinologists on behalf of the POIS Forum, maybe the best back-door I can take is to sign up as a patient! I will call them this morning and hope they won't be too expensive for my first visit.
« Last Edit: 14/11/2008 15:41:46 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: 14/11/2008 15:40:28 »
...Well...I never need a recovery period...

Maybe we could submit you to the Guinness Book Of World Records and raise some money for the Forum?  ;D
« Last Edit: 14/11/2008 16:41:17 by demografx »

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: 14/11/2008 16:21:30 »
REUNITING--I have some questions for you...
What explanation do you have for spontaneous orgasms that happen while sleeping?  How does this fit into your theory
of orgasm avoidance during love-making? The body, obviously, sometimes has its own agenda, and its own "reasons" for
orgasmic release. So how does that fit into your scheme of things?  I am curious to know what you think about this.
« Last Edit: 14/11/2008 16:24:21 by girlwind »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: 14/11/2008 16:39:47 »
Also very quickly.....
Last time I was posting I said I'd had a reply from the International Society for Sexual Medicine (ISSM). One of the doctors there was going to talk to Dr Waldinger about POIS. I see since then that Dr Waldinger has been in touch with the forum which is great news. I totally understand that the time he can spend on POIS is limited but its terrific to know he is aware of us. Everyone on this forum is doing a great job in chasing this illness down.

Mellivora, I sent your post above to Dr Waldinger, I thought he would appreciate seeing that.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: 14/11/2008 17:02:19 »
Thank you Girlwind for mentionning that, it's a major problem in my case, and that's why I continue to have orgasms before NE.
« Last Edit: 14/11/2008 17:03:56 by martin88 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: 14/11/2008 18:15:54 »

Continuing my discussion about yesterday's talk with the local major University endocrinologists on behalf of the POIS Forum, maybe the best back-door I can take is to sign up as a patient! I will call them this morning and hope they won't be too expensive for my first visit.

OK, I have an appointment with them December 2. As a patient. $200 to $500 consultation fee, but insurance will cover some.
« Last Edit: 14/11/2008 18:59:19 by demografx »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: 14/11/2008 22:41:14 »
...Well...I never need a recovery period...
Maybe we could submit you to the Guinness Book Of World Records and raise some money for the Forum?  ;D

Haha...now you see my real motive for wanting a cure.  That was funny, thanks for the humor.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: 15/11/2008 05:24:45 »

OK, I have an appointment with them December 2. As a patient. $200 to $500 consultation fee, but insurance will cover some.

Thanks DEMOGRAFX for doing this. I hope something good comes out of it.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: 15/11/2008 19:44:53 »
Thanks DEMOGRAFX for doing this [university endocrinology consultation]. I hope something good comes out of it.

Thanks girlwind. Please remind me which thyroid and testosterone tests to request? Sorry to keep asking, I should ask them for a brain-memory scan, too  ;D

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: 15/11/2008 21:11:22 »
Thanks DEMOGRAFX for doing this [university endocrinology consultation]. I hope something good comes out of it.

Thanks girlwind. Please remind me which thyroid and testosterone tests to request? Sorry to keep asking, I should ask them for a brain-memory scan, too  ;D

Demografx: Please do get the memory scan! I highly recommend it.
The thyroid tests: Free T3, Free T4, TSH and TPO, and Reverse T3 (if you want to get really thorough.)
The testosterone test is the Free Testosterone.

I'm assuming you are not using ZRT? and just going with a local medical lab... Yes?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: 15/11/2008 21:38:28 »
I'm assuming you are not using ZRT? and just going with a local medical lab... Yes?

Thanks, girlwind. For now, I'm going with the flow of the university endocrinologist.

Demografx: Please do get the memory scan! I highly recommend it.

I was kidding about memory scan. Now I don't know if you are!
« Last Edit: 15/11/2008 21:41:14 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: 15/11/2008 22:10:29 »
I just found this. I'm not sure if this has been referenced before here.  Alcohol also gives me similar effects as Pois

Finally...I do recall that some of my hangovers mimicked POIS. And they lasted 4 days!

Come to think of it...jet lag too! And Monday work re-entry aka Monday morning blues (which could last till Thursday!)

Has anyone else here experienced non-sex-related POIS? (with me, it wasn't exactly the same, but enough similarity to make me wonder...)
« Last Edit: 15/11/2008 22:34:43 by demografx »

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: 16/11/2008 01:24:20 »

Finally...I do recall that some of my hangovers mimicked POIS. And they lasted 4 days!

Come to think of it...jet lag too! And Monday work re-entry aka Monday morning blues (which could last till Thursday!)

Has anyone else here experienced non-sex-related POIS? (with me, it wasn't exactly the same, but enough similarity to make me wonder...)

Much of my CFS feels just like POIS. Anything where too much mental or physical exertion or excess stress is involved
drains me in the same way POIS does.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: 16/11/2008 02:26:27 »
Same here.

I road a rollercoaster last year and after the ride finished I felt POIS symptoms...weird.  It was like I was on a high during the ride (all thoughs sensations going fast upside-down) and after it was a low.

Go go fenugreek at the amusement park?

Offline nopoison

• more info @ http://nopoison.ning.com/
    • View Profile
    • nopoison.ning.com
« Reply #1992 on: 16/11/2008 16:33:15 »
Hey, heres a short story:
- I took a new job, stopped having sex, and worked very hard for a recent 3mths and as a result I got something like permanent POIS (with low energy, mental fog) - slightly different, but socially seems the same.

My feelings acording to that is that while having sex I get stressed in a similar way I do while working in an exhausting way for a longer time.

Isnt it a stress a common denominator for POIS, CFS, Burnout (from overworking)?

I also stopped eating fruits and garlic, so that might bias my observations too.

Bye and good luck

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: 16/11/2008 18:20:04 »
Yes it is, for some of us. All stress stimulate adrenal glands even if orgasm is the most important one (but short, opposite of
chronicle stress). When adrenal glands are tired, steroids might be converted into cortisol => brainfog. You must find you sources
of stress and try to eliminate them. For me, the bad glycemia (hypo/hyperglycemia)is a severe cause of stress.

Yes! Stress and over-exertion are killers for me. Two things that have helped are: Avoiding running on empty
when it comes to food or energy--as in always eating regular meals, especially breakfast, and not allowing my
blood sugar to drop during the day to the point of becoming hypoglycemic...and avoiding pushing myself be-
yond the point of exhaustion. Also getting to bed by 10 pm has been really helpful for me. The later I go to bed
the worse I feel the next day.
« Last Edit: 16/11/2008 21:33:17 by girlwind »

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: 17/11/2008 01:25:41 »
Hi Counterpoints (or whoever else has access to the questionnaire form),

I just filled out the form at http://pois.olympe-network.com/.  However, I just noticed that I made some errors in doing so.  Is there a way for me to edit my responses?  Or, if I need to fill it out again, would someone be able to delete my first version for me afterwards?

Thanks!

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: 17/11/2008 03:39:10 »
Thanks Finally for these interesting links (found in your link) :

http://www.andrologyjournal.org/cgi/content/full/25/1/140

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2216060?ordinalpos=8&itool=

Not for me Demo. Nothing is like pois (low libido, low endurance, social phobia ...)

I wish you success with the tests. I'm surprised they have accepted. You'll have plenty of time to recover before the holidays !

Offline tarkington

• View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: 17/11/2008 03:44:56 »
I have never had any POIS outside of orgasm. 

I just wanted to update everyone on my status.  I have now finished my first bottle of Relora (90 tablets).  So with three a day that makes one month.  During that time I know I have not had noticable POIS symptoms.  I have had an orgasm at least 15 times that I can think of.  Could the placebo effect still be considered?

Offline nopoison

• more info @ http://nopoison.ning.com/
    • View Profile
    • nopoison.ning.com
« Reply #1997 on: 17/11/2008 11:33:00 »
Two things that have helped are: Avoiding running on empty
when it comes to food or energy--as in always eating regular meals, especially breakfast, and not allowing my
blood sugar to drop during the day to the point of becoming hypoglycemic...and avoiding pushing myself be-
yond the point of exhaustion. Also getting to bed by 10 pm has been really helpful for me. The later I go to bed
the worse I feel the next day.

Thanks a lot girlwind and B_Jim, this is a secret I was getting to know for about 10 years! (thou I still dont stick to that - having a stressfull and exhausting job and as a result eating junk and going to bad late). How do you check your sugar level? Where should I start? I`m completely lame about it.

Once again thanks

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: 17/11/2008 15:47:23 »
I road a rollercoaster last year and after the ride finished I felt POIS symptoms...weird.  It was like I was on a high during the ride (all thoughs sensations going fast upside-down) and after it was a low.

Go go fenugreek at the amusement park?

;D

That was funny, Limejuice.

« Last Edit: 17/11/2008 16:53:20 by demografx »

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: 17/11/2008 15:48:07 »
Nopoison--Junk food plus extreme stress plus going to bed late would make me feel pretty lousy. I would take
some inspiration from your acronym...  :D

Like B_Jim, I don't check my sugar either. I've learned over time how to tell when's dropping. At this point I avoid the
lows by eating regular meals with small protein snacks in between. Just a handful of almonds or a slice of deli turkey
does the trick for me.

Mercola.com is where I go to get the best nutritional info. He has a basic questionnaire that you can do to discern your
metabolic type (as a protein type, a carb type or a mixed type), and has dietary recommendations for each. What I like
most about his nutritional plan is that it puts you in charge of figuring out what is good for you, by observing how you
feel after each meal. In my experience he's the best internet resource on natural medicine and healthy eating, as his
suggestions have consistently worked for me.  http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/index.htm
« Last Edit: 17/11/2008 16:22:03 by girlwind »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1999 on: 17/11/2008 15:48:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums