The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6460774 times)

Offline John21

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #19900 on: 08/08/2015 17:52:31 »
Happy to read that, John !
I take it since one year now. I reject all possible placebo effect, it simply works against Pois.
I don't know how does it work. I just made a bloodtest this week and maybe I will have some info soon.
At the start I had a strong anti-anxiety effect, anti-muscle tremors and even... anti-premature ejaculation. Does taurine help with magnesium or boost testosterone or avoid dopamine drop after ejaculation ? But something is working that is clear.
Now, I take only 500mg before ejaculation. I have a very little fear that excess of taurine can affect testicles.

BJim, the other benefits that you have had with Taurine are very interesting: anti-anxiety, anti-PE, etc. So are you saying that these effects have diminished with subsequent Taurine use? By how much? What about the anti-POIS effect, has it diminished in effectiveness?

Offline B_Jim

• post ejaculation tiredness, fatigue after orgasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19901 on: 09/08/2015 07:42:33 »
What about the anti-POIS effect, has it diminished in effectiveness?
About the Pois symptoms, I can confirm it's still effective. After one year, I think placebo effect must be over.
I can give you a number :
My taurine level is 58 ýmol/L   (range   : 37  to  127), quite low after taking 500mg a day during 1 year.

For anxiety, it's hard to say. I'm clearly less anxious now but I don't think taurine will help anxiety. It helped my Pois which is my anxiety source, so it helped but not directly.

For PE, I had the feeling it helped during the first weeks. Now, it's less clear. I'm a severe case of PE, so I don't know. Taurine may have a real muscle relaxant effect and then it could help with PE.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #19902 on: 09/08/2015 12:28:14 »
Happy to read that, John !
I take it since one year now. I reject all possible placebo effect, it simply works against Pois.
I don't know how does it work. I just made a bloodtest this week and maybe I will have some info soon.
At the start I had a strong anti-anxiety effect, anti-muscle tremors and even... anti-premature ejaculation. Does taurine help with magnesium or boost testosterone or avoid dopamine drop after ejaculation ? But something is working that is clear.
Now, I take only 500mg before ejaculation. I have a very little fear that excess of taurine can affect testicles.
Taurine increases the neurotransmitter GABA which reduces anxiety. Sulfurous compounds such as taurine are low when there's a methylation disorder; goes together with reduced methionine, cysteine and glutathione.
You could try taking SAM-e which should increase methylation and taurine levels.
See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7809579

The other route is methylfolate supplementation and I've talked about that extensively elsewhere so there's no point in revisiting it.

Other reasons for low taurine are fungal infections and anaerobic bacterial overgrowth in the gut. The human genome is relatively small and we enjoy a symbiotic relationship with bacteria that partially or completely take over some enzymatic reactions required for health. We're only about 10% human and the rest is bacteria and fungi living on and in our bodies. The bacterial balance changes in response to diet or infection so we owe it to ourselves to eat more fibre, more healthy polyphenols (eat a "rainbow" of colours every day) and less starch/carbs.

Offline 4everfogged

• Cognitive,brainfog,flu-like,fatigue,exhaustion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19903 on: 09/08/2015 12:55:58 »
For those interested: Press release on July 6, 2015
Testosterone Deficiency in Adult Men (ISSM)

http://www.issm.info/news/issms-process-of-care-for-the-assessment-and-management-of-testosterone-def/

Offline B_Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #19904 on: 09/08/2015 14:00:18 »
[
Taurine increases the neurotransmitter GABA which reduces anxiety. Sulfurous compounds such as taurine are low when there's a methylation disorder; goes together with reduced methionine, cysteine and glutathione.
You could try taking SAM-e which should increase methylation and taurine levels.
See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7809579 [nofollow]

The other route is methylfolate supplementation and I've talked about that extensively elsewhere so there's no point in revisiting it.

Other reasons for low taurine are fungal infections and anaerobic bacterial overgrowth in the gut. The human genome is relatively small and we enjoy a symbiotic relationship with bacteria that partially or completely take over some enzymatic reactions required for health. We're only about 10% human and the rest is bacteria and fungi living on and in our bodies. The bacterial balance changes in response to diet or infection so we owe it to ourselves to eat more fibre, more healthy polyphenols (eat a "rainbow" of colours every day) and less starch/carbs.

One thing about anxiolytic meds the effect is short and the dosage must be increased to keep the same efficiency. Agree about methylation.
About digestive system, one important point I discovered is about 50% of dopamine is release in pancreas/gut ("mesentric organs")
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9360553 [nofollow]
. The results show that mesenteric organs produce close to half of the dopamine formed in the body, most of which is unlikely to be derived from sympathetic nerves but may reflect production in a novel nonneuronal dopaminergic system
An increasing  number of Poisers and myself find an improvement by diet/or fasting.

The basic idea I suggest here is :
-Dopamine drops after ejaculation ( orgasm=> neutrotransmitters = fireworks show and semen = rich in catecholamins).
- when we leave these organs alone, they regenerate quickly  dopamine loss.

« Last Edit: 09/08/2015 14:12:36 by B_Jim »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #19905 on: 09/08/2015 14:02:53 »
What about the anti-POIS effect, has it diminished in effectiveness?
About the Pois symptoms, I can confirm it's still effective. After one year, I think placebo effect must be over.
I can give you a number :
My taurine level is 58 ýmol/L   (range   : 37  to  127), quite low after taking 500mg a day during 1 year.

For anxiety, it's hard to say. I'm clearly less anxious now but I don't think taurine will help anxiety. It helped my Pois which is my anxiety source, so it helped but not directly.

For PE, I had the feeling it helped during the first weeks. Now, it's less clear. I'm a severe case of PE, so I don't know. Taurine may have a real muscle relaxant effect and then it could help with PE.

Ok thanks, I was interested as I'm in the same boat of having a severe case of PE, it is good to hear of potential assistance.

Offline B_Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #19906 on: 09/08/2015 14:25:33 »
Yes, I think it is something you could give a try. 
There a lot of factors for PE (skin sensivity, shyness/excitation, controle of some muscles...)

Offline Macster

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19907 on: 09/08/2015 18:15:51 »
Hi 4everfogged, great to see that POIS is being considered in these conferences. I saw 2 doctors which I met up with in Montreal that are included in this document.

Presently Im looking into my serotonin levels. My doctor at McGill told me they think the psychological symptoms are caused by a dramatic decline in serotonin levels. I am currently using Mood Support from NOW foods with good results in terms of cognitive symptoms.

What I have been noticing though is that some days (3,4) I begin to feel better when I wake up but later during the day anxiety and brain fog appear. I think that maybe inflammation by cytokines may be what is hindering the production of serotonin. This in my mind would cause the mood fluctuations when the symptoms are gradually going away..

I have recently been thinking of buying SAMe supplements to increase serotonin levels. Has anybody tried this?

Offline greg34

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19908 on: 13/08/2015 03:01:21 »
Hi, 28 year old male here, Wondering if anyone had similar POIS like symptoms where General body muscle tension seemed to spike significantly in the days follow orgasm to recover to more normal muscle tension after 1 week. Been suffering with this for 10 years..

My doctors diagnosed me with chronic fatigue syndrome, and CNS hyper sensitivity disorder, Generalized anxiety disorder, bipolar which i have been receiving treatment for a while. I try to tell the doctors that my symptoms are all made ten times worse by orgasm, I can go through sex without orgasm and be fine, but as soon as i orgasm my whole body gets thrown for a loop. The doctors seem to be baffled as to how sex can be causing all my symptoms be become so much worse, they tend to ignore it believing that sex should be helping my conditions not hurting. I wonder to myself are these doctors missing something if they can't explain why sex is so bad for me.

My progression of symptoms following orgasm tends to go  5-10 min of feeling relaxed followed by a gradual increase in muscle tension(muscles in general start becoming more spasmy), This muscle tension keeps increasing until I go to sleep that day, On the first night after orgasm I always get night sweats and drench my sheets. When I wake up it calms down a bit however as the day progresses the muscle tension becomes quite extreme into the evenings. The muscles become so tense and locked up that they start to pinch tendons/ligaments/nerves etc,  Literally every joint and point where theres a muscle tendon in a tight spot will have impingement like problems. Its worst though areas directly off the spine neck/back, I get the worst migraine headache you can imagine with my neck muscles feel like they are squeezing themselves to death on their own.   Day 2 it gets pretty bad, day 3 it peaks out at the worst, day 4 symptoms start to lesson and by about week i recover and most of the symptoms lessen. 

Some other symptoms in addition to the muscle tension is I have is my head feels very sore deep down in addition to the general tension headaches, It becomes painful to even think. Feeling joy / happiness is painfully uncomfortable for me as it seems to push my mind into a manic unstable state.  Hyper sensitivity to everything goes through the roof I literally want to lock myself in a room with no lights / no sound / with nobody touching me.  In general my body feels weak when walking and I my balance starts to become shaky.  I have to limit my movement because it feels like moving too much agitates my nervous system too much. Anxiety levels start to become high, with my chest being very tight and painful.

« Last Edit: 13/08/2015 03:03:43 by greg34 »

Offline gabin

• View Profile
« Reply #19909 on: 13/08/2015 03:34:00 »
Hello greg34.

Just a quick note - mine symptoms are absolutely identical, with all these tension headaches, muscle spaspms, joint pains etc. And excessive sweating too, not only during sleep, but generally. And for me it's the opposite - more tension in the morning, eventually decreasing by the end of day.
The only remedy that really helps are NSAIDs, sauna sometimes (but not at first 2-3 days after orgasm, bit later when spasms start to subside) and strong alcohol (not an option during weekdays, yeah). And also exercising helps (running, the longer distance the better, as far as achievable given the condition you're in), probably since it has some anti-inflammatory effect as well.

I've been investigating possible autoimmune origin of that and done some blood tests, but all came out normal (normal range in brackets):
- Aldolase = 3,00 U/L ( <7,5 )
- CPK (Creatine phosphokinase test) = 173 U/L (39 - 308)
- C-reactive protein = 0,90 ( <1,0 )
- Bilirubin (3 types) = all normal
- AST (aspartate aminotransferase) = 19 U/L ( <40 )
- ALT = 35 U/L ( <41)
- GGT (Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase) = 42 U/L ( <60 )
- Rheumatoid Factor (RF) = 13,1 ( <14 ) - probably elevated, on the higher boundry

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #19910 on: 13/08/2015 19:03:19 »
i wonder if anyone here also experience loose facial muscles after o???everytime after i have a o, within 1-2 weeks my face will look very skinny and loose.
anyone here have this issue as well???do you know how to sort it?

thanks
dean

I also get loose/sagging flesh post orgasm, especially in my face. I've found that fenugreek and saw palmetto help the most with this for me.

Thanks for the reply, I am glad that I am not alone in this. And I am wondering how fenugreek and saw palmetto is helping you??who recommend you to take them?? And do you notice any differences between o from masturbation and o from having sex in term of getting loose face muscle???Also I know they are herbs but can you develop tolerance to them over a period of time???

Fenugreek and saw palmetto have helped other pois sufferers here. I learned about those herbs here. I've been taking both for years now and I haven't noticed any loss of efficacy. They are more effective if taken ~15 min prior to orgasm, but I take the fenugreek in the morning since it keeps me awake if I take it at night. I'm not sure exactly how they work, but I feel like they help with inflammation. I don't notice any difference between an o from masturbation and an o from sexual intercourse. My symptoms appear within minutes after ejac either way.

Offline B_Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #19911 on: 14/08/2015 08:21:54 »
I think vitamin B6 may be something important for methylation and/or Pois itself.
Some food rich in B6 like spinach, garlic or salmon seems to help.
« Last Edit: 14/08/2015 08:23:43 by B_Jim »

Offline 4everfogged

• View Profile
« Reply #19912 on: 14/08/2015 09:48:00 »
In a previous post when I mentioned/advised PoisGuy or newbies to try starting off with as healthy diet as possible. I mentioned soyamilk but must also mention that for some......you might be better off with other options such as cocomilk. Reason is in case of allergies, it's probably/usually less likely to be allergic to cocomilk. And also most importantly many websites claim that a problamatic thyroid gland and soyamilk don't go hand in hand.

Offline 4everfogged

• View Profile
« Reply #19913 on: 14/08/2015 12:02:52 »
This entire past week, every morning at around 9:00AM I had my blood drawn. My doc wanted to check if he could find anything significant before and after O. The only thing that caught his attention is Prolactin, but not sure if anything significant. I had an O after 2nd blood test but about 2,5-3 hours before 3rd blood test.

P.S: My mental symptoms are generally the worst on day 2 and sometimes seem just as bad on day 3 though they can start off within minutes. I also donít know if this test had any significance if comparing with my previous situation as with my new diet approach I generally feel better off, but obviously if Iíd start having a O on a weekly basis again then I believe to turn back to square one, because especially after a 3rd weekend in a row Iíd start feeling pretty strained/depressed. I believe intensity of suffering depends on various factors depending how tired I am, stress, activated allergies, etc.. My doc only planned this test a few days before start. I had O a week before that but none in the 2 weeks before that. For this test my symptoms were most certainly not of the worst. I suspect to have a difficult time if Iíd have O sometime this weekend because already feel prostate area under pressure as this is not always the case!!!
Perhaps this test would have been more interesting to compare the same with previous diet.
« Last Edit: 14/08/2015 12:07:42 by 4everfogged »

Offline observercenter

• View Profile
« Reply #19914 on: 15/08/2015 20:21:09 »
Chris MacMahon .pdf about Pois :  link

Well, that's my forearm :D

Have any of you, the new ones, tried to take niacine?

Best Regards,
« Last Edit: 15/08/2015 20:25:09 by observercenter »

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #19915 on: 16/08/2015 00:22:09 »
One thing about anxiolytic meds the effect is short and the dosage must be increased to keep the same efficiency. Agree about methylation.
About digestive system, one important point I discovered is about 50% of dopamine is release in pancreas/gut ("mesentric organs")
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9360553
. The results show that mesenteric organs produce close to half of the dopamine formed in the body, most of which is unlikely to be derived from sympathetic nerves but may reflect production in a novel nonneuronal dopaminergic system
An increasing  number of Poisers and myself find an improvement by diet/or fasting.

The basic idea I suggest here is :
-Dopamine drops after ejaculation ( orgasm=> neutrotransmitters = fireworks show and semen = rich in catecholamins).
- when we leave these organs alone, they regenerate quickly  dopamine loss.

That's interesting. I did not know the 50% of dopamine came from out digestive organs. I can buy your theory.  I am another poiser who gets some relief from by avoiding certain foods (grains especially). I have noticed I get significant cognitive improvement and energy boost with the less I eat (fasting). Alas I am underweight so it is the opposite of what I want. I believe I am dopamine deficient, from articles I have read on neurotransmitters and also from doing Dr. Eric Braverman's The Edge Effect questionnaire (very low dopamine was the standout for me). While doctors have no problem writing a script out for meds to boost serotonin (without any pathology test to back it up), its a very different story when it comes to getting help for suspected low dopamine.

Taking supps as recommended in his book/newsletter did not really help me all that much with regards to boosting dopamine from what I could feel. I am trialling taurine and I wish I could say it was working for me,but I have to admit I have not taken it just prior to orgasm...yet.

Offline 4everfogged

• View Profile
« Reply #19916 on: 16/08/2015 08:41:23 »
That's interesting. I did not know the 50% of dopamine came from out digestive organs. I can buy your theory.  I am another poiser who gets some relief from by avoiding certain foods (grains especially). I have noticed I get significant cognitive improvement and energy boost with the less I eat (fasting).

Hi acronym,
You might have missed this article. I think it was a guy from poiscenter that came up with this article.
A good read.

Gut instincts: The secrets of your second brain
http://neurosciencestuff.tumblr.com/post/38271759345/gut-instincts-the-secrets-of-your-second-brain

Offline 4everfogged

• View Profile
« Reply #19917 on: 16/08/2015 17:06:34 »
For those who have not seen this yet, this is an excellent video...(for when you have time.....1hour)

Gut bacteria and mind control: to fix your brain, fix your gut!

Offline 4everfogged

• View Profile
« Reply #19918 on: 16/08/2015 19:35:47 »
I learned that from the age of between 3 to 4 months I ended up with bronchitis. I had to stay several days for recovery in a clinic.
I wonder what rubbish they injected in me ? Antibiotics!!!
From then on I was one big cry baby as told!!!
Also before the age of 4 I went through another set of injections as I seemed to be very allergic to pollen!!! (need to still find out more details about this pollen part)

But nowadays since I use Probiotics I can sense improvements in my wellbeing (though still a lot of work to do)

Does this ring the bells!!! I guess this would also make sense why I get these chest spasm's

« Last Edit: 16/08/2015 19:38:32 by 4everfogged »

Offline DEANNX

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19919 on: 17/08/2015 01:58:58 »
For those who have not seen this yet, this is an excellent video...(for when you have time.....1hour)

Gut bacteria and mind control: to fix your brain, fix your gut!
thats very long and I dont think I have enough data allowance to watch the whole thing can you give a brief summary of this??Many many thanks :D

Offline onelongwar

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19920 on: 17/08/2015 17:01:27 »
Hey guys,

just a quick FYI that there is a growing Facebook group called Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome ( newbielink:https://www.facebook.com/groups/1457009341209480/?fref=ts [nonactive]) that you can join if you have an fbook account.

I've noticed that of late many discussion forums are ending up on facebook as it is pretty well designed for discussing specialist topics in groups.  Since the poiscenter forum seems to have bitten the dust this could be a good option for those of us who like our discussions to be a bit more organised.

good luck.

Offline 4everfogged

• View Profile
« Reply #19921 on: 18/08/2015 09:36:17 »
thats very long and I dont think I have enough data allowance to watch the whole thing can you give a brief summary of this??Many many thanks :D

It's a powerpoint presentation based on microbiota studies since 2000. It basically proves how a healthy diet with probiotics and prebiotics can be very beneficial. And the damage that antibiotics can do.  They also mention the vagus nerve in cases of damage or blockage...

Offline 4everfogged

• View Profile
« Reply #19922 on: 19/08/2015 08:03:09 »
For those who have not noticed poiscenter is running again:

http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php
or
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?action=recent

Offline onelongwar

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19923 on: 20/08/2015 19:23:35 »

newbielink:http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php [nonactive]
or
newbielink:http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?action=recent [nonactive]

Still broken for me.

Offline 4everfogged

• View Profile
« Reply #19924 on: 21/08/2015 10:10:38 »

http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php
or
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?action=recent

Still broken for me.

That's strange. I got access at this very moment. Perhaps it was offline for a short period at one stage!!! Few days ago I temporarily couldnít access NSF either.
Tip: Careful with spam though, especially on Poiscenter with Russian text. Admin will eventually remove it. If you curious or hesitate on clicking unfamiliar text, rather copy/paste it first in google translate which will explain if POIS related or not.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #19924 on: 21/08/2015 10:10:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums