The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6450356 times)

Offline rockytop

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #20000 on: 03/04/2016 02:37:25 »
Hi,

This is my first ever post.  I think this forum provides fantastic support to all of us who suffer from this cruel condition......a condition which in normal circumstances is incredibly to talk about.

I have had what I presume is POIS for 20 years.  I guess compared to many of the other sufferers on this website I have a fairly mild version of POIS but my symptoms are still severe enough to have a huge impact and limiting effect on my life.  The main symptom associated with my POIS is burning, sore and puffy eyes.......to the extent that I just can't look anyone else in the eye when I am in my POIS state.  Lesser symptoms include mild brain fog and fatigue.  The veins on my arms also become slightly distended during my POIS state.  My symptoms last for the rest of day on which I O and the following day......the day after that I am POIS free.  Even if I pass a tiny drop of semen (without any kind of arousal) when peeing I get symptoms so I guess this would suggest that my POIS is of the allergic reaction kind.  I have had short term relationships but my condition prevents them from lasting beyond a month. 

I have tried a few treatments with limited success.  These include:

Niacin - reduces symptoms by around 80-90% when O after flush.  However, for me there is an unpleasant side effect from taking niacin where I repeatedly flush (often severe rosacea-like flush accompanied by eczema) for weeks afterwards so this is not really a treatment option for me.  It could be the Niacin is mobilizing heavy metals (primarily mercury) in my cells and this is causing the rosacea.

Probiotics - I read a paper which suggested that Lactobacillus casei could help modulate auto-immune responses so I bought a probiotic supplement which contained this strain.  For around 5-6 weeks these supplements completely eliminated my POIS symptoms.  After 5-6 weeks the supplements quickly lost their efficacy.  I have tried a number of different strains since but have not come that close to replicating my initial success.

Olive Leaf/fenugreek/garlic/Mucuna/DAOsin/theanine supplements - no effect

Herman's vitamin/mineral regime - I forget the exact protocol but consisted of manganese, copper, zinc, pantothenic acid.  This protocol did have a little effect.....around 30-40% reduction in symptoms after persisting with it for a few weeks.

Gluten free diet - no effect

Alcohol seems to reduce the symptoms significantly (70-80%) but I do not really see this is a realistic treatment.  I also had all of my mercury amalgam fillings removed just over a year ago and will monitor over the next couple of years whether there is any general improvement (am only chelating very very slowly with the occasional DMSA and/or ALA capsule)   My next treatment experimentation will involve Alpha GPC supplements.

Anyway, I would be interested to hear from POISers who have the same or similar symptoms and hear about the treatments they have tried.  My initial success with probiotics suggests that optimizing gut health can be an important part of any POIS treatment.

All the best
Rockytop

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20001 on: 03/04/2016 06:58:35 »
<former Moderator visiting periodically>

Just in case you're not aware, there is also another POIS resource named:

POISCenter

« Last Edit: 04/04/2016 16:55:35 by demografx »

Offline happy2

• View Profile
« Reply #20002 on: 05/04/2016 18:43:20 »
Vincent M,
The benadryl actually winds me up, doesn't make me sleep better.  It does that with some people.  To answer your question, the 2 benadryls IMMEDIATELY following O, and Zyrtec every day, completely knock-out my POIS symptoms.  It used to be I'd get it, like real bad, for 3 1/2 days like everybody else, then crash on days 4 and 5 with fatigue.  Now, all I have to deal with is the benadryl hangover day 1.  The brain-fog, and all other symptoms, either cognitive or physical are completely GONE.  I wake up day 2 feeling completely normal; no brain-fog, joint-pain, or fatigue and most importantly, no POIS.   It's worked for me :).  I previously suffered from POIS for 20+ years.  I'm now 35 years old.  Symptoms got REALLY bad when I was 21.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #20003 on: 06/04/2016 21:34:50 »
Vincent M,
The benadryl actually winds me up, doesn't make me sleep better.  It does that with some people.  To answer your question, the 2 benadryls IMMEDIATELY following O, and Zyrtec every day, completely knock-out my POIS symptoms.  It used to be I'd get it, like real bad, for 3 1/2 days like everybody else, then crash on days 4 and 5 with fatigue.  Now, all I have to deal with is the benadryl hangover day 1.  The brain-fog, and all other symptoms, either cognitive or physical are completely GONE.  I wake up day 2 feeling completely normal; no brain-fog, joint-pain, or fatigue and most importantly, no POIS.   It's worked for me :).  I previously suffered from POIS for 20+ years.  I'm now 35 years old.  Symptoms got REALLY bad when I was 21.
can you post your result in poiscenter.com, i believe others should try it. The effects on my fatigue were just to profound. I would have posted there but i think the system there is having problems, it deleted my account and wont let me create another one.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20004 on: 07/04/2016 01:12:58 »
CertainlyPOIS, I'm really sorry you experienced that!!

Please send me your IP and we'll try to get you back in!

« Last Edit: 07/04/2016 04:19:08 by demografx »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #20005 on: 08/04/2016 00:47:34 »
CertainlyPOIS, I'm really sorry you experienced that!!

Please send me your IP and we'll try to get you back in!

I should have contacted you already buy I dont have stable internet right now. when i do, i will send you an ip address.

Offline happy2

• View Profile
« Reply #20006 on: 12/04/2016 04:03:36 »
CertainlyPOIS,
I just saw you posted.  I'll try posting on POIS.com.

Offline gogetter

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20007 on: 17/04/2016 00:32:38 »
Dear  all
Thank you so much.
I have now spent almost a week since I have discovered this forum here and at the poiscenter, browsing and reading whenever I have a few minutes.
I'm in awe and disbelief, how many people suffer of this illness. I am even more shocked HOW most Doctors have STILL never heard of it. You guys have done so much research and experiments all on your own Kudos to that. I am grateful at the same of the people who are generous in sharing their findings in order to help others. To each single one of you and especially to the moderators and repliers I say Thank you from all my heart.
As most POIS'ers I have done the usual runaround to the doctors, I have also met with an iridolgist an energy healer and finally a competent kinesiologist, All of them having absolutely no clue to this syndrome.
The last time I visited my GP he sent me for a blood test to check my testosterone levels among other things. (which I though was quite intelligent and non judgmental of him. I surely appreciated him looking into it seriously) My testosterone levels came back fine albeit slightly low; Therefore, I am wondering though how wearing testosterone patches would be of any benefit?.
I have ordered Niacin and am hoping to get it by Monday and start experimenting with that right away.
I find this Forum quite overwhelming to the amount of information available yet the lack of organized subcategories. I wish I could just type in search box how often and best time to use Niacin and then get a whole bunch of posts from various people relating specifically to the use of Niacin; Though, I realize it may be my lack of experience/skill using search on Forums.
Finally I want to share my experience that I have been a Pois sufferer since my early 20's though I have had brain fog much earlier. I am now 42 and I have been getting sharp pains in the tip of my penis noticed during intercourse. It is only when this started happening that I have started taking my POIS seriously again and realized this is not just a  psychological or spiritual disorder.
 Unfortunately I am not seeing much talk of this particular symptom in this forum aside of the burning semen syndrome which war veterans have described having. I am not a war veteran nor I do not eat canned tuna therefore how am I getting mercury in my system?
Has anyone else had this sensation almost like someone is poking the tip of your penis with multiple needles? (strange I realize)
As far as the illness is concerned I am at the end of my tethers; Though, as far as treatment is concerned I am right at the beginning of my journey, so I am still hopeful. I am also very much looking forward to the result of the NORD team and or the Rutgers university study to see what treatments they come up with.
In the meantime any replies with tips suggestions or links to recent information are most welcome.

Thank You all again
Gratefully, GoGetter

PS:  Can anyone come up with tips on how to navigate the website? How to find multiple collection of answers on a treatment without having to sift through tons and tons of individual posts would be great.
« Last Edit: 17/04/2016 01:04:46 by gogetter »

Offline iLikeScience

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20008 on: 17/04/2016 20:26:21 »
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. Was wondering, found out last week that there's a medical term called 'hyperspermia' (see wikipedia)
Have not heard of this term before, maybe its rather new. Could there be a relation between the semen volume and POIS ?
maybe this is discussed before on this forum...

Offline Scarysheep

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20009 on: 18/04/2016 22:07:27 »
I wish I could just type in search box how often and best time to use Niacin and then get a whole bunch of posts from various people relating specifically to the use of Niacin; Though, I realize it may be my lack of experience/skill using search on Forums.

gogetter, have you checket out the POIS forums yet? www DOT poiscenter DOT com/forums/index DOT php (No posting links, so replace DOT with .)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20010 on: 25/04/2016 00:41:24 »

PS:  Can anyone come up with tips on how to navigate the website? How to find multiple collection of answers on a treatment without having to sift through tons and tons of individual posts would be great.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 posted results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

« Last Edit: 25/04/2016 00:45:29 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20011 on: 29/04/2016 17:17:37 »

On Apr 29, 2016, at 7:42 AM, Jacqueline Kraska/NORD wrote:

Hi demo,

Sorry it has taken some time but please find attached the public section of the 3rd scientific report, which was the same as provided in the section 2 for our reviewers called "accomplishments"...

All the best,
Jacqui

--
Jacqueline Kraska
Research Programs Manager
National Organization for Rare Disorders

===============================

"Based on the 97 respondents (mean age: 33.5 years) summarized in the attached Table, a clear picture emerges of the age of onset of POIS symptoms as being in adolescence (mean: 18 years of age), that POIS symptoms can be triggered by self- or partner erotic stimulation that does not necessarily involve intercourse. Penile stimulation is the most prevalent inducer of POIS symptoms compared to rectal or prostate stimulation. The POIS symptoms that are most prevalent are: “Brain fog”, lack of concentration, and fatigue, each of which symptoms were reported by at least 82% (80-83/97) of the respondents. These three symptoms are also the most severe, as indicated by a Likert scale (i.e., subjective rating of severity on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being the most severe possible). In order of decreasing intensity, the most prevalent symptoms are: “Brain fog”, lack of concentration, fatigue, depression, irritability, anxiety, headache, and nausea. These range from brain fog, with a mean intensity of 7.6 out of a maximum of 10, to nausea, with a mean intensity of 4.8. The mean durations of these symptoms were reported to range from 2.8 to 5 days (mean = 4.4 days). Somewhat surprising to us, and which will require a slight modification of our protocol, is that the latency of onset of these eight POIS symptoms ranged from 2.2 to 3.7 hours (mean = 3.1 hours). We now will continue our recordings in the laboratory for at least 4 hours post-orgasm, as the latency for the POIS symptoms is evidently longer than we were led to believe originally. It is clear from this summary table that POIS is reliably characterized by a highly distressing cognitive and physical state that starts within a few hours after orgasm and persists for days. We plan to publish these findings, which we trust will raise awareness of this distressing condition. We hope that the vagal tone component of our research will reliably shed light on the cause, and suggest therapy, for POIS. We already are seeing, as presented in our progress report submitted December 13, 2015, that after orgasm, the HRV index is relatively low compared to resting and exercise. If our continuing research shows this to be a reliable phenomenon, it suggests that procedures designed to reduce vagal tone may be effective in counteracting or preventing POIS symptoms."

« Last Edit: 29/04/2016 20:59:11 by demografx »

Offline meteo74

• View Profile
« Reply #20012 on: 18/05/2016 17:32:04 »

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 posted results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

I always write just 2 words (post orgasmic) in google..

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20013 on: 19/05/2016 05:26:34 »

meteo, yes, but that does not give you 1) only the category you are interested in -- 2) within this thread at Naked Science Forum.

Offline bruxe

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20014 on: 22/05/2016 20:11:41 »
« Last Edit: 22/05/2016 20:13:50 by bruxe »

Offline nathan123

• View Profile
« Reply #20015 on: 21/06/2016 13:10:28 »
Hi All,

Hope all are doing well. It has been two years after I am posting in POIS. As mentioned earlier, I got cure from POIS from the past two years and now leading a healthy life. For immediate relief from POIS, please do the following technique whenever you are in POIS and you will be surprised and will get cure from POIS.

Whenever you are in POIS, please massage top of toes of each finger of your legs for two to three minutes and you will be immediately out of POIS. When you are in POIS, our brain chemistry would be imbalanced. Massaging top of our toe would produce production of Serotonin and also activate the brain.   Within twenty minutes and without any cost, you all can come out of the POIS. Try this technique and give me the feedback. Suggestion is to massage hardly the top of the toe or you can also use the massager.

thanks & regards,

Nathan.

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #20016 on: 22/06/2016 09:24:44 »
Has anyone here tried Happy2's anti-histamine treatment and been disappointed? 
We have one person who has tried it and has replicated his successful results.  The active ingredient in Benedryl was not easy to find in products in my country but I tried a syrup with it in it, and was disappointed. I recently discovered it has much less than 2 Benedryl and also recently discovered Snuzaid is available OTC and has 50mg diphenthydramine in it so will give it another go with that med. Hopefully it does not make me really groggy like some other 1st generation anti-histamines. Second generation anti-histamines like Zertec, Claritone worked well with hay fever days but did nothing for pois.

I wonder why an allergic response to orgasm if that is the case wipes many of us to various degrees for so long (4-5 days) yet a day out in spring pollen weather for a susceptible person  does not wipe them out for anything like that length from a short term exposure. Has anyone here who has had genetic testing done, can confirm if they have mutations in the genes related to DAO production (used to block histamine)?   I see Rocktop a few posts above tried DAO supplement and it did nothing to help him.

Happy2 - did you used to get dark circles around your eyes, photosensitive, skin deterioration/rash or dandruff post O prior to Benedryl/Zyrtec?

I was going down the path of heavy metal detoxing as solution, but it has become difficult. Initially I thought it was helping reduce symptoms somewhat (only when on chelator then I would crash a little off cycle). I am getting bad face eczema/dermatitis when I do now even at low doses of chelator, which is a real shame as it would seem that is quite likely a sign of detox but at the same time who wants to look like they are sunburned all the time.
« Last Edit: 22/06/2016 10:22:04 by acronym »

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #20017 on: 22/06/2016 09:38:50 »
Demo
Is the second part of the 3rd Nord report coming out later in the year?
It is great to have Nord officially document pois and its symptoms, but for us on this forum that info so far is nothing new. Have you been given info on what the MRI scans showed? 
Ultimately though for us, unless the scans can give a clear indication of a weakness/defect that has a proven therapeutic path to treatment that has been used with other conditions showing the same, then its going to be just a stepping stone to more (and not so simple) research needed down the line.

Q - You are on TRT. Do you take HCG as part of that (most docs dont know or care about it)?  What about an anti aromatize inhibitor or are your Est levels well under control?  Just curious

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20018 on: 08/07/2016 01:47:35 »
<former Mod visiting periodically>

HI acronym,

•The 4th & final report will be out mid-September.

•No fMRI or tVNS study info has been released yet. Probably will not until final publication.

•I'm only on Androderm TRT, 4mg daily. Nothing else.

Offline Bulbo

• View Profile
« Reply #20019 on: 10/07/2016 11:12:49 »
Hi guys
I am going to post my progress. I have been eating 2 backyard hen's eggs a day for 1 year 5 months and 23 days. My pois was of a type where brain fog does not go away after an o meaning it was present always. After starting eggs i found my pois duration was 5 or 6 days. By Jan 14, 2016 POIS duration became 2 or 3 days. By the next three months pois duration should have reduced to 1 or 2 days, but it didnt happen. But unfortunately by March 10, 2016 every time i o my pois lasted for 6 days. This 6 day POIS lasted everytime i o from march 10, 2016 onwards. I was very desperate. Those days were very tough. But by June 6, 2016 my POIS duration all of a sudden became 1 day. I am so happy guys. At last POIS duration became 1 day.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #20020 on: 13/07/2016 23:14:25 »
Update:
I have been abstinent for a long time but recently had an orgasm and did not have any POIS. Prior to this event I was taking some supplements, the most significant of which might have been Black Elderberry extract capusules. When I first started it I experienced sensations in the pubic region (under the skin), something akin to occasional vibrations. I don't know what was going on but I wondered if it might be the reaction of the Elderberry fighting a latent virus of some kind. It perhaps sounds odd but Elderberry is purported to be an anti-viral, among other things. So I stayed on it until the sensations went away and then went off it. Then a few weeks later I started it again prior to orgasm and then continued on it for a couple of weeks.  During this time I did not experience any of my prior POIS symptoms. I am considering the Elderberry to be the most likely cause of the positive results.

I will also mention the other supplements I have been on during this time in case they are significant: turmeric capsules and ALA (alpha lipoic acid).  The turmeric is taken for general health, and the ALA was being taken for potential benefits of chelating heavy metals from my system. This was because I did a heavy metals urine test last fall and was told I have statistically elevated levels of mercury and lead (relative to the general population) .

Offline B_Jim

• post ejaculation tiredness, fatigue after orgasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20021 on: 14/07/2016 17:15:48 »
Welcome back John !

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #20022 on: 15/07/2016 11:07:17 »
Thanks B_Jim  : )

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #20023 on: 22/07/2016 23:39:34 »
Update:
I have been abstinent for a long time but recently had an orgasm and did not have any POIS. Prior to this event I was taking some supplements, the most significant of which might have been Black Elderberry extract capusules. When I first started it I experienced sensations in the pubic region (under the skin), something akin to occasional vibrations. I don't know what was going on but I wondered if it might be the reaction of the Elderberry fighting a latent virus of some kind. It perhaps sounds odd but Elderberry is purported to be an anti-viral, among other things. So I stayed on it until the sensations went away and then went off it. Then a few weeks later I started it again prior to orgasm and then continued on it for a couple of weeks.  During this time I did not experience any of my prior POIS symptoms. I am considering the Elderberry to be the most likely cause of the positive results.

I will also mention the other supplements I have been on during this time in case they are significant: turmeric capsules and ALA (alpha lipoic acid).  The turmeric is taken for general health, and the ALA was being taken for potential benefits of chelating heavy metals from my system. This was because I did a heavy metals urine test last fall and was told I have statistically elevated levels of mercury and lead (relative to the general population) .

what brand and dosage are you using.
Dont you think your abstinence might have a big effect on why you dont have any symptoms.
I know if i am abstinent  for  just a mont,  sysmptoms from one orgasm is not that bad.   Pois only comes to full form when i do multiple orgasms.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #20024 on: 25/07/2016 21:31:23 »
I started with Sambucol Black Elderberry Syrup which is 1.83 grams of concentrate taken 4 times a day. After that I changed to a capusle supplement of 1g concentrate taken 4 times per day.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #20024 on: 25/07/2016 21:31:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums