The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6435972 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #2225 on: 30/11/2008 06:09:21 »
One more article on cortisol: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=252375

CP, is your doc suggesting any specific treatment based on your cortisol reading?
« Last Edit: 30/11/2008 06:14:19 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: 30/11/2008 06:55:13 »
It's day2 for me. Pois is already finished.

B_Jim, congratulations on the continued progress!

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: 30/11/2008 08:16:32 »
One more article on cortisol: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=252375

CP, is your doc suggesting any specific treatment based on your cortisol reading?

Not yet, he wants me to take some more tests.  Initially he wanted to rule out the possibility of a tumor, or something like Cushing's disease (which I probably don't have, since my cortisol goes down significantly from morning to evening, even though the evening readings are still usually above the upper reference). But I have noticed an interesting trend (in my tests).  I don't want to say anything until I'm more confident about it, though.  Note: I took a T3 and T4 test, recently, as well.  T4 was normal.  T3 was slightly above the upper reference (flagged, but not alarming).  TSH levels are very good.  Might be worth getting one more T3 test.

« Last Edit: 30/11/2008 08:30:58 by Counterpoints »

Offline barry_duffman

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: 30/11/2008 09:06:52 »
Welcome, Barry!

Don't forget to grab some popcorn and see Girlwind's POIS video:
newbielink:http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UWBxAUC9k1g [nonactive]

For our internal information sharing and outside researchers' use, a questionnaire:
newbielink:http://pois.olympe-network.com/ [nonactive]

Barry, the dried up fingertips are hard to explain. I only get them in POIS. The fingertips feel numb, dry and the sensation - for some reason - drives me nuts! ;D

I once visited a skeptical dermatologist about this, and he said, indeed, I had dermatitis during POIS! He prescribed a worthless skin care lotion :)

I hope you find this place reassuring and helpful and welcoming!

Thanks for your reply demographx! It is interesting that you get dermatitis on your finger tips. I get atopic dermatitis in several areas, but not my finger tips (yet). Which lotion were you prescribed?

Here is another article relating to the autonomic nervous system and the skin:

"Does Autonomic Dysfunction Play a Role in Atopic Dermatitis?" (Br J Dermatol. 2008 Sep;159(4):834-8.)
newbielink:http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/582162 [nonactive]

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: 30/11/2008 11:58:55 »
Counterpoints,
This info is interesting, particularly the claims that phosphatidylserine can reduce cortisol. I might try eating some high phosphatidylserine foods regularly such as mackerel, perhaps it could help my insomnia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphatidylserine

Another supplement that is purported to reduce cortisol is Magnolia bark

http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/Canada/HealthInformation/Encyclopedias/MagnoliaBarkandFlowers.htm

Offline Coreman

• View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: 30/11/2008 14:38:00 »
I ve been away for a month, however, I was testing different stuff. No theories, just my experiences to tell.

Good results:

1. Tribulus Terrestris (1500 mg a day) - helps brain fog.

2. Relora (250 mg * 4 a day) - very effective against panic attacks, the day after. (I take 2 right after orgasm)

3. Calcium-Magnesium caps - give me a good sleep. Better dreams, better state of nerves, better morning.

Comment on Ca-Mg: I strongly believe (after 10 years' POIS), that the quality of your night sleep strongly influences your day after.

4. Rivotril - this is an anti-anxiety drug, keeps away 90% of my anxiety (Addictive, but I don't care. Now, I am able to work regulary (intellectual job) and in a good pace. The feeling I been waiting so long...! )

5. Rivotril is good, but it makes me lethargic a bit. I eat chocolate, to keep the balance.

Other observations:

1.    Worst day of the week:  is about Thursday, 'cause: 1. Already stressed/worn-out due to work, 2. already having lack of sleep,......  and THAN an orgasm:  POIS is like a nightmare, makes it difficult to cope with )

Seems that factors 1. + 2. together makes things worse...

2.  A reflection on Garlic:  Garlic gives energy and all, at first I found it downright superb, but it disturbed my stomach and my guts, so people with sensitive guts must take care, I think.

Thank you for your attention.

Good luck

Coreman.   

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: 30/11/2008 15:33:24 »
I found an excellent post about cortisol.  http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/757599.html.
I've quoted it below:

I have consistently used many, if not most, of the adrenal supports on this long list, and have written up many of
them on this forum. And I agree strongly that adjusting personal habits (like eating regular meals, not overdoing
in any area of life--exercise, sex, work, etc, managing stress and getting to bed early) are ESSENTIAL to healing
exhausted adrenals. All the supplements you can swallow won't help, if you're constantly draining your reserves of
energy with unhealthy habits.

Also, I would be careful to not use all the supplements they recommend here at once, as that would be overkill,
and might potentially overwhelm one's system. I have personally found it most useful to "rotate" the adaptogenic
herbs, rather than taking them all together at the same time. They seems to retain their effectiveness better that
way.

Lastly, watch out for the Cortitrophin! In my experience (as official supplement guinea pig) it is REALLY STRONG!
I felt very over-amped, dizzy and shaky when I tried it, and wasn't willing to do it again.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: 30/11/2008 16:07:08 »
Coreman,
1.    Worst day of the week:  is about Thursday, 'cause: 1. Already stressed/worn-out due to work, 2. already having lack of sleep,......  and THAN an orgasm:  POIS is like a nightmare, makes it difficult to cope with )

Are you saying that when you are in a stressed out/exhausted state and you have an orgasm the POIS is much worse?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: 30/11/2008 19:50:47 »
I get atopic dermatitis in several areas, but not my finger tips (yet). Which lotion were you prescribed?

Barry, I assume your dermatitis is in-POIS only?

I threw out the Rx lotion long ago. As I did the OTC hand lotion which was mildly effective but not worth the trouble. Water helps immediately but then makes it worse.

I'm so glad to hear that you understand the skin problem! Even here at the forum, I was feeling like I had a symptom-from-Mars :)
« Last Edit: 30/11/2008 21:25:34 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: 30/11/2008 20:06:47 »
Not yet, he wants me to take some more tests.  Initially he wanted to rule out the possibility of a tumor, or something like Cushing's disease (which I probably don't have, since my cortisol goes down significantly from morning to evening, even though the evening readings are still usually above the upper reference). But I have noticed an interesting trend (in my tests).  I don't want to say anything until I'm more confident about it, though.  Note: I took a T3 and T4 test, recently, as well.  T4 was normal.  T3 was slightly above the upper reference (flagged, but not alarming).  TSH levels are very good.  Might be worth getting one more T3 test.

I hope my university endocrinologist on Tuesday will agree to cortisol tests!

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: 01/12/2008 00:32:00 »
I have been using many things that have but it seems that DHEA and Maca along with  Restore   been the most effective. For me Maca has been more effective than Horney Goat Weed.   Sleep and fresh air are very important as they can make you a little drowsy.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: 01/12/2008 02:24:41 »
Demografx - if i write that letter to dr sue, what should as her to do for us.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: 01/12/2008 02:26:14 »
I dont know if anybody has asked this question or not. But if guys are suppose to be sleepy right after sex, why is that people with pois do the opposite and get insomia.

Offline tarkington

• View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: 01/12/2008 02:55:12 »
i believe it has alot to do with cortisol... maybe other chemicals as well.  Relora affects cortisol and allowed me to sleep after orgasm.  Without Relora I would have insomnia after orgasm.

Offline Whoa

• View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: 01/12/2008 03:57:38 »
I dont know if anybody has asked this question or not. But if guys are suppose to be sleepy right after sex, why is that people with pois do the opposite and get insomia.

Maybe I'm a freak case, but after orgasm I have a nearly uncontrollable urge to sleep, whether it is 12pm or 12am.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: 01/12/2008 03:59:06 »
Insomnia can often be caused by an imbalance in cortisol--either too high or low. There's an article
I found that deals with CFS, but has good info on cortisol, stress and insomnia.

http://www.nutritionalmedicine.org.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/franklin?opendocument&part=6

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: 01/12/2008 04:05:29 »

Maybe I'm a freak case, but after orgasm I have a nearly uncontrollable urge to sleep, whether it is 12pm or 12am.

I feel somewhat sleepy after orgasm too.  Not always, but more often than not. Insomnia has not really been one of my symptoms.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: 01/12/2008 08:05:44 »
John, how long did the garlic take to start working?

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: 01/12/2008 10:27:02 »
Counterpoints,
Not long, after eating a clove a day for a few days you might get away with fewer symptoms. But again, it only worked 100% following an NE (so far).

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: 01/12/2008 16:47:06 »
Demografx - if i write that letter to dr sue, what should I ask her to do for us.

Thanks Ccc! Just ask her to tell her TV viewers who might have POIS to come visit us. And we'll periodically plug her weblink/TV show! (The easiest way I know to have Dr Sue get people to find us is to have her tell her viewers to put "POIS Naked Scientists" into Google...but if you have an easier way, Ccc, please use it)

Thanks again, Ccc!
« Last Edit: 01/12/2008 21:05:40 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: 01/12/2008 16:49:58 »
I feel somewhat sleepy after orgasm too.  Not always, but more often than not. Insomnia has not really been one of my symptoms.
SAME HERE!
« Last Edit: 01/12/2008 16:53:42 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: 01/12/2008 17:07:43 »
Counterpoints,
Not long, after eating a clove a day for a few days you might get away with fewer symptoms. But again, it only worked 100% following an NE (so far).

John, let's start a partnership and package it: JOHN21'S MAGIC GARLIC! I'll promote it, you package it...... :)
« Last Edit: 01/12/2008 20:01:13 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: 01/12/2008 17:45:44 »
I wonder if some of these foods/supplements/activity that are claimed as memory boosters might help POIS cognitive symptoms?
http://www.aolhealth.com/healthy-living/memory/boosting-tricks?icid=200100397x1213860224x1200951586

A summary:
-Blueberries
-Strawberries
-Spinach
-turmeric
-fish and fish oil
-eggs
-Acetyl-L-Carnitine
-Phosphatidyl Serine (PS)
-Ginkgo Biloba
-Exercise
« Last Edit: 01/12/2008 19:48:24 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: 01/12/2008 21:26:19 »
I wonder if some of these foods/supplements/activity that are claimed as memory boosters might help POIS cognitive symptoms?
http://www.aolhealth.com/healthy-living/memory/boosting-tricks?icid=200100397x1213860224x1200951586

A summary:
-Blueberries
-Strawberries
-Spinach
-turmeric
-fish and fish oil
-eggs
-Acetyl-L-Carnitine
-Ginkgo Biloba
-Exercise

I am hopeful about PS, and exercise.  I tried fish oil, and didn't notice a huge difference with POIS.  But it's probably a good thing to take anyways.  I have been naturally liking foods with spinach recently, so hopefully that does help!

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: 01/12/2008 21:28:34 »

A summary:
-Blueberries
-Strawberries
-Spinach
-turmeric
-fish and fish oil
-eggs
-Acetyl-L-Carnitine
-Ginkgo Biloba
-Exercise

I've noticed a parallel relationship between carbs and brain fog.  These foods/supplements/activity are pro healthy blood sugar so they work for me.  Just say no to carbs.  Fish oil does help but the effects are short term (maybe a couple hours).
« Last Edit: 01/12/2008 21:33:07 by Limejuice »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2249 on: 01/12/2008 21:28:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums