The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6453316 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #2300 on: 05/12/2008 18:20:15 »
I never took antidepressants, but Anafranil, a tricyclic, was the first choice of my MD in my case. Also I read that this drug is used to treat premature ejaculation (10mg/day). But there are a lot of side effects, and a lot of natural treatments for premature ejaculation to try before.

This reminds me, my endocrinologist pointed out to me that the 2 men who Dr. Waldinger studied both had spontaneous ejaculation! I wonder if that makes a difference when applying his findings to people like me, who don't have that problem?

ps - if anyone wishes a copy of the classic POIS study by Dr Waldinger, just send Martin88 a Private Message (click "Messages" at the top of the screen) and give him your email address to send it.
« Last Edit: 05/12/2008 19:01:42 by demografx »

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: 05/12/2008 20:05:33 »
DOPAMINE---

My mother died of Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinsons---
I recall in those old days, there was a discussion of Dopamine--
I always assumed that she could not produce enough of it---
I have read somewhere about iodine being related to Dopamine
production--I just started thinking of this today--Is that crazy?
I've had POIS for over 20 years and I'm 60 years old!!! I'm going to ask
a doctor about that today. This is my first time to see her. She has doctorate in Biochemistry, researched Parkinsons, but she is a Chiropractor. I'm going for accupuncture and Trigger Point, but I selected her because she was on my insurance list AND she is a Biochemist. Only chiropractic is covered, but I will ask her
other questions relating to Dopamine---My case may be genetic, but the Dopamine correlation may be very interesting----
UNDERWATER

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: 05/12/2008 21:05:40 »
GIRLWIND   AND    IODINE

I read so many pages the other day, I'm not positive it was you who commented on Iodine. If it was, could you please elaborate a bit on how it fits into your thinking and, if you add idodine to your diet, how do you do it? Food, Supplements? Do you know of any correlation between idodine and dopamine?
Thanks  Underwater

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: 05/12/2008 22:17:50 »
GIRLWIND   AND    IODINE

I read so many pages the other day, I'm not positive it was you who commented on Iodine. If it was, could you please elaborate a bit on how it fits into your thinking and, if you add idodine to your diet, how do you do it? Food, Supplements? Do you know of any correlation between idodine and dopamine?
Thanks  Underwater

Yes it was probably me who contributed a lot of info on iodine.

I don't have any idea how iodine influences dopamine response in the body. The reason I began using it is because
I became very deficient in it, due to the fact that I hadn't used any sea food or sea salt products for many years. I'm
very concerned about ingesting anything from the ocean, as it has become like a toxic waste/sewage dump, and I
have already had enough problems with toxicity issues in my past.

To make a long story short, I finally found sources of seaweed from Iceland that are guaranteed organic, and have
slowly begun to increase my intake of these. My interest in iodine is to help my thyroid, which as I recently learned,
is hypothyroid. For me the thyroid deficiency and adrenal deficiency seem to go together, and both affect my CFS
and POIS symptoms. The seaweed along with Ashwaganda (an herb to help thyroid) has improved my energy and
shortened my POIS days as well as my worst POIS symptoms. Because I have multiple health issues, it will take a
while before I can see solid long term results.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: 06/12/2008 01:43:38 »
DOPAMINE---

a doctor about that today. This is my first time to see her. She has doctorate in Biochemistry, researched Parkinsons, but she is a Chiropractor. I'm going for accupuncture and Trigger Point, but I selected her because she was on my insurance list AND she is a Biochemist. Only chiropractic is covered, but I will ask her
other questions relating to Dopamine---My case may be genetic, but the Dopamine correlation may be very interesting----
UNDERWATER

Underwater, below are the results of a custom Google search of dopamine mentions on this POIS forum site. Often the MessageID is in the link, so you can more easily find the message:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dopamine+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.thenakedscientists.com&btnG=Search

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: 06/12/2008 02:17:40 »
DOPAMINE---

UNDERWATER

My Father, Uncle and cousin all died from MS.  I have often thought there was a genetic connection between that and what I now call POIS.  Wondering if any one else here has a family history of it?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: 06/12/2008 20:27:20 »
POIS is NOT a destruction of neurons. But  the level of dopamine  might drop after ejaculation.

B_Jim, thanks for clarifying this for us!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: 06/12/2008 20:30:53 »
My mother died of Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinsons--

My Father, Uncle and cousin all died from MS.

Underwater and Finally: very sorry to hear of this!

The father of a very close friend of my wife and me just last week died of MS. Not related to POIS I know, but it makes me think of MS these days.
« Last Edit: 06/12/2008 20:42:00 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: 06/12/2008 21:22:56 »

When we hit PAGE 100, to
celebrate.................I propose
that we get Counterpoints to fly us
all to this fine POIS Retreat!!!

:P.  I was recently talking with a Dr. about how this thread is growing at a phenomenal rate.  It took about 1.5 years to reach about 30 pages... and then only about 4-5 months later we are at 100 pages!
« Last Edit: 06/12/2008 21:27:52 by Counterpoints »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: 07/12/2008 01:11:29 »
In the past i had one orgasm a day, i had this specific tremors (especialy head tremors).
exactly the same for me, specially in stressful situations.

I'm also interested to know what body types do fellow sufferers of POIS have? Ectomorph, Mesomorph, Endomorph?

Personally, I'm on the ectomorph side.
more ectomorph. Our weights and heights are in the pois form.

When we hit PAGE 100, to

I'm still waiting for my ticket  ;D

Offline laroux

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: 07/12/2008 04:34:28 »
Check out this article on dopamine depletion and what the sypmtoms were... it's eerie.

newbielink:http://www.reuniting.info/science/articles/acute_dopamine_depletion_causes_psychological_distress [nonactive]

There could be something here that points to dopamine depletion as the primary cause of the symptoms... now what is causing the dopamine depletion to such low levels for so long in some people?  Has anyone tried any of the dopamine agonist drugs for treatment?

Examples of dopamine agonists include:

Parlodel (bromocriptine)
Dostinex (cabergoline)
Permax (pergolide) - Removed from market March 29,2007.[2]
Mirapex (pramipexole)
Requip (ropinirole)
Apokyn (apomorphine)
Neupro (rotigotine)

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: 07/12/2008 08:55:56 »
Check out this article on dopamine depletion and what the sypmtoms were... it's eerie.

http://www.reuniting.info/science/articles/acute_dopamine_depletion_causes_psychological_distress

There could be something here that points to dopamine depletion as the primary cause of the symptoms... now what is causing the dopamine depletion to such low levels for so long in some people?  Has anyone tried any of the dopamine agonist drugs for treatment?

Examples of dopamine agonists include:

Parlodel (bromocriptine)
Dostinex (cabergoline)
Permax (pergolide) - Removed from market March 29,2007.[2]
Mirapex (pramipexole)
Requip (ropinirole)
Apokyn (apomorphine)
Neupro (rotigotine)

That is so scary the symptoms seem so similar to pois.   And progresses in similar manner. We need to find out who did this experiment and tell the person about our situation..
That can explain why intensive protein diet helps reduce pois symptoms.
Protein is the building material for dopamine.

After finals i am going to test out relora together with all protein diet before and after orgasm. And post results.  I expect good results because a day after an NE i ate sh1t load of chicken and beef and i think am experiencing good results.  Downside I cant go to sleeep.

And I have concluded relora helps my situation but only about 50%. It reduces tiredness considerable and
This can explain why

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: 07/12/2008 08:57:13 »
reduces tiredness and brain fog

Offline laroux

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: 07/12/2008 13:27:25 »
Fava beans and velvet beans (& Fenugreek sprouts) are good natural sources of L-Dopa, the precursor to dopamine.  There are also l-dopa supplements on the market.  These may me very helpful in restoring depleted dopamine.

Offline phasian

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: 07/12/2008 13:45:19 »
POIS strikes me too.  My symptoms have been:

lethargy
derealization (can't describe this accurately... it's like the outside world is at the end of a tunnel or seen through a piece of plexiglass.
light sensitivity
reduced memory
reduced concentration
reduced speaking ability (difficulty putting thoughts into spoken sentences)
social inhibition

Symptoms are strongest at 1-3 days, tailing off over the course of a week or so.  Of course, after two weeks of not having orgasm I have other symptoms to deal with...  

In addition, I have acne that's directly related to my orgasm timing and frequency.    

Another weird thing is that a few orgasms results in the skin on a portion of the inside of my earlobes sloughing off and a clear, slightly sticky fluid being secreted where the skin came off.  I have no clue what that's about, and I've found no one else with this problem.

I think I'm just going to go celibate again for a while. :undecided:  

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: 07/12/2008 18:15:01 »
Just Brainstorming here: Dopamine, Iodine, POIS-Recovery, Thyroid, Girlwind Response

If POIS could be triggered by steep Dopamine depletion after orgasm, and an unfortunately long period of time passes before Dopamine replenishes (and POIS ends), could it be that there may be a mineral dificiency (such as IODINE)that slows down  the necessary dopamine synthesis to facilitate faster recovery. This "train of thought" follows Girlwind's response to my iodine/dopamine question where she mentions that iodine helps her Thyroid condition and POIS, but did not know of an idodine/dopamine connection. In notes sitting on my desk, I observed that in the Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine vol.14 3rd quarter 1999 there was an article that  connected Dopamine, Iodine and even the Thyroid gland. This article addresses in part  the iodine deficiency in Parkinson's and Multiple Sclerosis and its link to Dopamine. Wouldn't it be great if there was just a mineral/s dificiency that would fix our problems? If you look at the symptoms of general iodine deficiency and then consider significant iodine deficiency and dopamine, maybe there is something here to be investigated. I need to take an iodine deficiency test.

Offline Whoa

• View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: 07/12/2008 20:27:26 »
Purely on the wanting to let people know. I have a habit of working out for 3 months, feeling a lot better, and then getting really busy with work and slowly feeling worse again.

Hitting the gym really does help me. I know that working out regularly does result in increased testosterone levels according to at least 1 study.

It's pretty easy for me to get back into the swing of things at the gym. I do back and biceps one day, chest and triceps another, and legs/core on another. Each day I follow up the weights with an aerobic workout.

Has anyone else benefited from exercise?
« Last Edit: 07/12/2008 20:30:10 by Whoa »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: 08/12/2008 04:41:28 »
Whoa, exercise does help increase my confidence and motivation, and reduces POIS symptoms.

ALL - I'll be having blood work done again and would your suggestions for what to test for.  So far I have:

Dopamine
Prolactin
Cortisol

What else should I test for?

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: 08/12/2008 07:14:45 »
POIS strikes me too.  My symptoms have been:

lethargy
derealization (can't describe this accurately... it's like the outside world is at the end of a tunnel or seen through a piece of plexiglass.
light sensitivity
reduced memory
reduced concentration
reduced speaking ability (difficulty putting thoughts into spoken sentences)
social inhibition

Symptoms are strongest at 1-3 days, tailing off over the course of a week or so.  Of course, after two weeks of not having orgasm I have other symptoms to deal with...  

In addition, I have acne that's directly related to my orgasm timing and frequency.    

Another weird thing is that a few orgasms results in the skin on a portion of the inside of my earlobes sloughing off and a clear, slightly sticky fluid being secreted where the skin came off.  I have no clue what that's about, and I've found no one else with this problem.

I think I'm just going to go celibate again for a while. :undecided:  

This is a remarkable symptom that keeps appearing with POIS sufferers "reduced speaking ability (difficulty putting thoughts into spoken sentences)".  I think it may lead us to something very definite, if we are persistent with researchers.  Thoughts form, but we have trouble expressing them in POIS.

Welcome! Here is the POIS questionnaire, which we are getting reviewed by researchers.  Your responses would be helpful.
http://pois.olympe-network.com
« Last Edit: 08/12/2008 07:19:40 by Counterpoints »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: 08/12/2008 07:17:51 »
Whoa, exercise does help increase my confidence and motivation, and reduces POIS symptoms.

ALL - I'll be having blood work done again and would your suggestions for what to test for.  So far I have:

Dopamine
Prolactin
Cortisol

TSH, T3, and T4.  My TSH and T4 were normal, but my T3 was flagged.  (You could mention that these were the results for someone in a similar condition, since sometimes physicians will be hesitant to order T3 or T4 tests "without cause").  B12 and DHEA tests might also be useful.  For cortisol testing, you'd want the AM test and the PM test. (So you can see how cortisol is suppressed).  You may also want a glucose tolerance test, and a 24 hr urine cortisol test.  Just some ideas. :)

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: 08/12/2008 15:38:18 »

Dopamine
Prolactin
Cortisol

Whoa-- I agree that it would be good for cortisol tests to include both am and pm levels. This is why I prefer
the saliva tests that ZRT Labs offer. They have FOUR cortisol tests--am, noon, afternoon and evening saliva. This
gives you a thorough profile of your cortisol levels throughout the day.

You could also test these hormones: Free Testosterone, DHEA-S, IGF-1 (which evaluates pituitary function),
Free T3, Free T4, TSH, TPO and Reverse T3 (which all evaluate thyroid function.)

(Both my cortisol and my Free T3 were too low, as I have adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism issues.)

It might also be good to get a complete blood chemistry, which will include a big panel of tests like: fasting
glucose, the electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium, phosphorus) and tests to check liver and kidney
functioning. The name of this test varies according to the lab, but it's one of the main panels used, so your doctor
would know what it's called now.

Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: 08/12/2008 15:48:47 by girlwind »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: 08/12/2008 18:46:24 »
When we hit PAGE 100, to

I'm still waiting for my ticket  ;D

Martin, don't worry! Countepoints assures us that it's in the mail! ;D

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: 08/12/2008 18:50:33 »
Thank you for the suggestions.  I'll talk with my doctor to determine how many specific tests can be preformed from one blood draw.

I intended on entering the blood draw in peak POIS so to look for issues - no fenugreek or relora and normal carbs.  I think you would all agree with this.
« Last Edit: 08/12/2008 18:52:05 by Limejuice »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: 08/12/2008 18:56:43 »
Thank you for the suggestions.  I'll talk with my doctor to determine how many specific tests can be preformed from one blood draw.

I intended on entering the blood draw in peak POIS so to look for issues - no fenugreek or relora and normal carbs.  I think you would all agree with this.

I think a 2-tests comparison, if possible, between POIS stage  and "normal" non-POIS stage would be meaningful. But I just drew blood in the latter "normal" non-POIS stage only, it was unplanned.

Peak-POIS sounds good, though; it would certainly pick up abnormalities.

Just my opinion, with zero training in medicine!
« Last Edit: 08/12/2008 19:00:10 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2324 on: 08/12/2008 18:56:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums