The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6430336 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #2375 on: 16/12/2008 06:45:18 »
...It would seem that my POIS was both psychological and physical in nature...Also, I really like my partner a lot which means the oxytocin is probably surging. I still believe oxytocin (LOVE) is a major component in helping to alleviate symptoms of POIS...

At one time, I gave up on the non-physical possibility of POIS. But Chewbacca's post makes me re-think it.

Does anyone else have a thought to share about this?
« Last Edit: 16/12/2008 06:47:21 by demografx »

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: 16/12/2008 15:25:32 »
...It would seem that my POIS was both psychological and physical in nature...Also, I really like my partner a lot which means the oxytocin is probably surging. I still believe oxytocin (LOVE) is a major component in helping to alleviate symptoms of POIS...

At one time, I gave up on the non-physical possibility of POIS. But Chewbacca's post makes me re-think it.

Well, it seems to me that Chewbacca's experience doesn't necessarily point to a 'psychological' (meaning non-physical) source of POIS, since the 'love' hormones released at the beginning of a relationship can certainly be described as physical.  Sure, it is possible that there could also be psychological factors, but Chewbacca's example doesn't automatically call for such an explanation.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: 16/12/2008 16:58:06 »
Thanks, Guthrie, I appreciate the clarification.

For my concern to be true, Chewbacca's "LOVE" would have only a minor association with oxytocin,and perhaps 1-2 other known chemicals and the remainder of the love-equation would be "untreatable"...except to fall in love! :)
« Last Edit: 16/12/2008 18:25:54 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: 16/12/2008 20:48:27 »

Well, it seems to me that Chewbacca's experience doesn't necessarily point to a 'psychological' (meaning non-physical) source of POIS, since the 'love' hormones released at the beginning of a relationship can certainly be described as physical.  Sure, it is possible that there could also be psychological factors, but Chewbacca's example doesn't automatically call for such an explanation.

Those who have filled out the questionnaire will be able to see Chewbacca's response, two weeks ago.  He had recently tried other supplements, which he claimed were helping.  These may have had just as large a part in his recovery, as his new love interest.  If he reads this, maybe he can comment?
« Last Edit: 16/12/2008 21:00:15 by Counterpoints »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: 16/12/2008 20:51:26 »
What is the effect of Relora and fenugreek on cortisol ?
Increase , decrease , regulation ?

I read a claim that (amongst doing other things!) Relora reduces cortisol by 37%

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: 16/12/2008 23:24:00 »
I took a blood test one week after release, POIS-free. My endocrinologist comments on my hormone test results:

"Your testosterone concentration is low and prolactin is high. If I cannot explain it by the medications/supplements you were taking I'll want to schedule an MRI of your pituitary gland."

This is a big deal.  Thanks for sharing Demo.  I take my labs shortly and will test each hormone (testosterone and prolactin).

Will you take the MRI based on the doctors discretion?
« Last Edit: 16/12/2008 23:27:24 by Limejuice »

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: 17/12/2008 01:33:06 »
I took a blood test one week after release, POIS-free. My endocrinologist comments on my hormone test results:

"Your testosterone concentration is low and prolactin is high. If I cannot explain it by the medications/supplements you were taking I'll want to schedule an MRI of your pituitary gland."

Are those the ONLY blood tests you did? Or are they the only ones he mentioned to be "out of range?"

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: 17/12/2008 01:49:12 »

This is a big deal.  Thanks for sharing Demo.  I take my labs shortly and will test each hormone (testosterone and prolactin).

Will you take the MRI based on the doctors discretion?

Yes, Limejuice, he's scheduling me now for pituitary MRI before the end of the year (before my insurance deductible starts over :)).

I googled "what does high prolactin mean?" and came up with 2 interesting answers:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/heartandblood/203252.html

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/umneuro_prolactinoma.htm

University of Michigan article ends I think on a very positive note (I assume this applies to men and women):

What is the prognosis?

Usually, medications fully restore normal sexual function and fertility. If the pituitary was irreparably damaged
by [a] tumor, even then there are other medications that can restore fertility.

P.S. - When I explained POIS to my old classmate, the PhD biophysicist and HIV/AIDS pioneer (1981 research) whom I mentioned previously, "prolactin" and "IL-6" was his first reaction.
« Last Edit: 17/12/2008 16:24:02 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: 17/12/2008 02:23:20 »

Are those the ONLY blood tests you did? Or are they the only ones he mentioned to be "out of range?"

Girlwind, no, those were only the ones "out of range". They tested just about everything that you and I reviewed before my  meeting: all the thyroid tests, the testosterone test (Free Testosterone), DHEA-S, cortisol, plus several more. Some weren't even on our list!

The endocrinologist said 1-2 of the sub-tests that I requested above (thyroid?) were "controversial", but frankly at this point I didn't care, this is one of the largest university medical and endocrinology centers in the world and I wasn't about to go "shopping" elsewhere. I just wanted it over at this point. And he said that a few of the blood tests would have to be analyzed outside the medical center so he waited till he got all the results in before emailing me the above finding.

If this turns out to be a pituitary tumor, my wife found an excellent 2nd opinion medical-endocrinological group, again a "world class" facility.

from http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/pituitary_tumors/pituitary_tumors.htm#What_is
"Most pituitary tumors are benign, which means they are non-cancerous, grow slowly and do not spread to other parts of the body, however they can make the pituitary gland produce too many hormones, which can cause problems in the body."

I'm just posting about the tumor informationally, I have no idea if I have one, but if someone here does have an undiagnosed one it seems like it could be a POIS suspect!
« Last Edit: 17/12/2008 18:28:44 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: 17/12/2008 02:29:04 »
If [Chewbacca] reads this, maybe he can comment?

I've sent him several private messages. No reply yet. He must be....er....busy  :D

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: 17/12/2008 04:56:06 »
Demo: Great that something will finally come out from your visit to the university. If they give you testosterone replacement therapy will you accept to take it ?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: 17/12/2008 16:16:43 »
Demo: Great that something will finally come out from your visit to the university. If they give you testosterone replacement therapy will you accept to take it ?

I'm not sure. I took it before, it helped libido, but not POIS. My understanding is that it can shut down your body's own testosterone production.

Offline rock27

• View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: 17/12/2008 18:42:11 »
Lately the auto-immune theory (allergy) was again exposed on this forum.
I wondered if anyone tested for antibodies in their blood to (dis)prove this theory?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: 17/12/2008 21:25:50 »
I take my labs shortly and will test each hormone (testosterone and prolactin).

I would request as comprehensive a test as possible, e.g., Girlwind's list includes The thyroid tests: Free T3, Free T4, TSH and TPO, and Reverse T3, Free Testosterone, DHEA - S, cortisol, HGH human growth hormone.

My endocrinologist/lab didn't have all of those, but they knew I was after "comprehensive" so they included everything they could.
« Last Edit: 17/12/2008 21:27:21 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: 17/12/2008 22:40:08 »
I really think Pois may be interpreted as an inflammation, at least for flu-like symptoms (fevers, back, shoulders and knees pains...even acne)

Never had flu like symptoms.  Never any pain, heat, headaches....  My case is much like John's -- just mental symptoms (though these can be extremely severe!!!).  However, all my life, I have had bad eczema problems.  I also developed heat urticaria (blotches after being exposed to hot water) when I was about 16.  I have noticed a small inverse relationship between eczema problems (and urticaria) and POIS.  (I am not sure if it is significant, however).

In regards to cortisol.  My cortisol is usually high when I have it tested.  HOWEVER, in the 5 tests I've done, my cortisol has consistently been higher within hours of orgasm, than when I wait for a couple days.  This suggests I have the opposite reaction to most men.
(See: http://joe.endocrinology-journals.org/cgi/reprint/177/1/57.pdf)  (Article on the neuroendocrine response of orgasm in men).

Something else is quite notable.  I can alleviate my symptoms, 100%, with repeated attempts at orgasm.  This is really remarkable.  Sometimes it takes 5-6 subsequent orgasms to return to "normal", but it always happens.  And it's very real. This might say a lot about what's happening -- how sometimes one orgasm will "undo" the damage of a previous one.
« Last Edit: 17/12/2008 22:56:47 by Counterpoints »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: 18/12/2008 04:51:47 »
That is interesting.  When you say subsequent attempts do you mean orgasming 6 days in a row or 6 in a day?

Also, do the symptoms go away during 'play' but return after orgasm?

I've never experienced this before because each orgasm I feel worst than before.  I usually stop after 3 or 4 orgasms because of that trend.  Maybe I just need to man-up and work it more.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: 18/12/2008 06:02:34 »
That is interesting.  When you say subsequent attempts do you mean orgasming 6 days in a row or 6 in a day?

Also, do the symptoms go away during 'play' but return after orgasm?

I've never experienced this before because each orgasm I feel worst than before.  I usually stop after 3 or 4 orgasms because of that trend.  Maybe I just need to man-up and work it more.

6 in a day.  I'd be careful experimenting with this.  I've had POIS for about 10 years.  Within a year, I had stopped any deliberate orgasms -- so I was only having nocturnal emissions.  After about 5 years, I vaguely noticed that the days or weeks after one NE, felt different than the days or weeks after another.  It's as though the "out of POIS" periods were sometimes better or different than others.  I didn't pay much attention to it though.  Then after about 7 years, I went to bed once, feeling in a very awful state of POIS.  In the early morning I had an NE, and I felt great.  Absolutely relieved of all symptoms. I didn't think it was something I had control over though, so I dismissed it, again.  All this time, I was operating under the idea more orgasms = more POIS symptoms... and that generally seemed true, though it wasn't something I was keen to test, and I didn't have any good reason to be curious about it.   

Then after 8 years, my POIS symptoms were no longer as bad.  I had begun deliberately having orgasm more often, as a result.  This is when I realized that sometimes a subsequent orgasm would alleviate symptoms caused by a previous orgasm, hours beforehand.  This was a very real effect, and I've tested it probably about 400 times.  It's something I'm very sure about.  After awhile though, I tended to need more and more for the "relief".  Eventually it took 5-6 orgasms/day, which prevented me from getting my work done.  At this point I crashed, and my POIS became quite terrible again.  Shortly after, I found this thread (in July).

Now usually when I have an orgasm, I feel severe POIS symptoms.  Sometimes a subsequent orgasm, within hours, will alleviate these symptoms.  Now (this never happened before), the relief usually only lasts hours to a day.  Then *SOME* of the symptoms return -- difficulty focusing, slow to learn and comprehend, etc.  The anxiety isn't as bad though.

Re: 'during play'.  I'm not sure.  They seem to get a little better, but nothing really drastic usually.
« Last Edit: 18/12/2008 06:05:28 by Counterpoints »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: 18/12/2008 08:03:05 »
ADHD-I?
For a long time, I have exhibited symptoms of ADHD predominantly inattentive (ADHD-I: SEE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADHD-I).  This is a special subtype of ADHD, and patients with this have responded to treatment differently than those with other types of ADHD.  I have never pursued treatment.  These symptoms are particularly apparent "in POIS".  But even outside POIS, I quite obviously suffer from: "inattention, easy distractibility, disorganization, procrastination, forgetfulness".  It's not something that has particularly bothered me, since I have a degree of conscious control over it.  But it is obvious.  I'm horribly disorganized, and I always have been.  And though I generally did well in school, my main problem was with careless mistakes.  I could almost never get 100% on anything, since I would make a trivial addition error, or something of this sort, no matter how well I understood the material.

Perhaps this behavior is due to a chemical imbalance that is severely exacerbated by orgasm?  Has anyone else had these symptoms, outside POIS? If you read the wikipedia description of ADHD-I, do you find it describes you at all? 

Also: Sluggish cognitive tempo (SEE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sluggish_cognitive_tempo) seems to describe many of the in-POIS symptoms.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: 18/12/2008 08:04:54 by Counterpoints »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: 18/12/2008 14:25:50 »

I'm not sure. I took it before, it helped libido, but not POIS. My understanding is that it can shut down your body's own testosterone production.
Definitely this is a concern. If they have a suggestion to treat this without side effects I'd like to know. Do you remember exactly what molecule of testosterone you were taking ?
(Some are safer for the liver)
On the other side I was reading a paper from a lab, they say : "elevated level of testosterone suggests androgen resistance". I think that means it's elevated because we don't use it. Interpretation of tests is not always easy...
« Last Edit: 18/12/2008 14:27:24 by martin88 »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: 18/12/2008 14:50:51 »
In regards to cortisol.  My cortisol is usually high when I have it tested.  HOWEVER, in the 5 tests I've done, my cortisol has consistently been higher within hours of orgasm, than when I wait for a couple days. 
This is very helpful Counterpoints, thanks a lot for mentionning this.

About your experience about having repetitive orgasms to cure pois, I agree with you IF we talk about a brief relief (in the short term.) However after a few days my pois will be longer and a lot more severe if I do this.
Perhaps you can solve this by trying to have a better erection the first time .

For Chewbacca, I have to say that this phrase "use it or lose it" "sex is like a muscle etc.." has been terribly devastating for me. (very severe pois, if not the cause of pois). Also it's false for me, the opposite is true.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: 18/12/2008 15:25:44 »
For Chewbacca, I have to say that this phrase "use it or lose it" "sex is like a muscle etc.." has been terribly devastating for me.
(very severe pois, if not the cause of pois). Also it's false for me, the opposite is true.

Me too, Martin. At this point I would not even try to experiment with having more than one orgasm in a day.
In the past this left me ABSOLUTELY WASTED  [xx(] [xx(] [xx(] and made my symptoms much more extreme.
My CORTISOL has a history of being TOO LOW, so I can't afford to "lose"  what I don't even have!

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: 18/12/2008 16:08:26 »
Counterpoints: having to have 5 or 6 orgasms a day sounds a lot like  drug addicts who need a fix to counteract withdrawal symptoms of the drug. Many here have mentioned overmasturbation,usually in teenage years as a possible cause.
When I was young I used it as a way to deal with depression which started when I was 10.  It was addictive and I was looking foreward to being alone. Usually I would try to stop before a release so I could keep doing it as long as I could.  When I began having physical symptoms I had to slow down.
I learned through meditation how to change the flow of energy in the body.  It is about the only way to minimize depression and be able be abstinent for long time.  The first 2 weeks are when the urge feels the strongest.
When I was 25 I tried having a daily orgasm.  It seemed to work because the symptoms got the worst after about 2 hours but after a few weeks I got very tired and got off the "treadmill" everything seemed to come back.  

I did well in school but my mind wandered a lot.  I learned to take notes in a robotic way that I could review later.  I would never understand a Math textbook but would figure out how to solve problems and it is where I excelled.  I read very slow. Motor skills are really bad. Typing this
isn't easy. Often, I will walk into a room and have trouble remembering while I went in there.

My POIS symptoms seem to be more like Fibromyalgia or CFS.  I have been using a combination of herbal supplements since late October.  Muscle stiffness has been reversed and I have much more energy

I contacted  a prominent immunological researcher.  He responded by saying he could not say for sure if there was any connection between POIs and the immune system but that because the immune system, the nervous system and the endocrine system are so closely intertwined in the body that one could easily effect the others.          

Offline rock27

• View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: 18/12/2008 17:25:53 »
I also found having orgasms addictive in the past. If I had had an orgasm the previous night, my body would ask for another the night after. I wouldn't have any urge if I hadn't had one the night before. Strange but true.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: 18/12/2008 19:01:18 »
Very true.  It does feel like an addiction.  It especially did when I needed 5-6 orgasms to go back to normal.  I was definitely looking for whatever "chemical fix" would temporarily relieve my system. I could live normally when it only took 1-2 orgasms to feel fine.  And that's all it took for about a year.  I was very productive. But once I got to 5-6/day, it was no longer manageable.  I must say, though, I have never had problems with motor control. I started learning piano when I was 7, about 7 years before I had any POIS symptoms.  By that time (14), I could average about 170 WPM on QWERTY keyboards (and I am sure it is because of the brain connections I made as a very young child, learning piano).  And I haven't substantially decreased in speed either.  I'm probably about 140 WPM now, but I haven't practised my typing at all.

To those who have prominent symptoms of physical exhaustion (and mental exhaustion), I would recommend extra caution if you ever consider experimenting with subsequent orgasms to alleviate symptoms.  Though subsequent orgasms have sometimes eliminated brain fog for me, I have never found that they decrease physical exhaustion (or mental exhaustion): to the contrary, both are usually increased.

Theory: I think most people are addicted to the chemicals associated with orgasm; having an orgasm is like taking a drug.  I'm just far more intensely addicted than others, because of a different brain chemistry.  Therefore, in a general sense, the chemical fluctuation and withdrawal associated with this addiction is the cause of POIS.
« Last Edit: 18/12/2008 19:24:47 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: 18/12/2008 20:00:39 »
ADHD-I?
For a long time, I have exhibited symptoms of ADHD predominantly inattentive (ADHD-I: SEE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADHD-I).  This is a special subtype of ADHD, and patients with this have responded to treatment differently than those with other types of ADHD.  I have never pursued treatment.  These symptoms are particularly apparent "in POIS".  But even outside POIS, I quite obviously suffer from: "inattention, easy distractibility, disorganization, procrastination, forgetfulness".  It's not something that has particularly bothered me, since I have a degree of conscious control over it.  But it is obvious.  I'm horribly disorganized, and I always have been.  And though I generally did well in school, my main problem was with careless mistakes.  I could almost never get 100% on anything, since I would make a trivial addition error, or something of this sort, no matter how well I understood the material.

Perhaps this behavior is due to a chemical imbalance that is severely exacerbated by orgasm?  Has anyone else had these symptoms, outside POIS? If you read the wikipedia description of ADHD-I, do you find it describes you at all? 

Also: Sluggish cognitive tempo (SEE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sluggish_cognitive_tempo) seems to describe many of the in-POIS symptoms.

Any ideas?

CP, I'm a longstanding club member;D, much better since being on Adderall. It's one reason for my excessive caffeine: self-medicating for decades!
« Last Edit: 18/12/2008 20:03:00 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2399 on: 18/12/2008 20:00:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums