The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6452122 times)

Offline underwater

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #2500 on: 26/12/2008 00:14:10 »
B_Jim-------
I did know my numbers, but I forgot them. They were a little high with the "good"
cholesterol being significantly higher. My office sent me a letter saying I need to eat better and get in shape; come in for a seminar on diet and exercise. If there's anything I've done right in my life it is serious exercise and hardly eating any animal fat. I know a few incredibly fit, diet fanatics also around 60 yrs. old who have very high numbers. When we get together we just throw up our hands; we have enough problems already. In fact, I often crave cheese and bacon, but alas, like my monitoring of POIS, I am compelled to exercise serious restraint.

Another Toast To All At This Forum:  To Life, To Health,  La'Chaim

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: 26/12/2008 00:54:29 »
I was experimenting with raw organic veganism with emphasis on extremely large quantities of living foods. It worked remarkably well in the sense that my sexual desire was eliminated( just as Gandhi's work states that it will) However I discovered through blood work 10 days ago that I have become iron, Vitamin D and b-12 deficient . This has been doubly vexing in that the weakness associated with anemia can be confused with POIS symptoms.
For 11 months I was plagued with anemia, but the POIS symptoms were completely gone. When I began to see my partner again 8 months ago, and engage in non-orgasmic sexuality, the 'onslaught' commenced. Through thoughtful negotiation, very careful sexual boundaries and the willingness of my partner I have avoided the full torrential consequences of POIS....Whew!
Hi SteveD, but my post adress to other as well.
Everytime I eat a vegan diet I feel a peace in the mind, a better nervous system in some way difficult to describe, along with joy. But I'm not willing to do this for a long time however because this effect is not permanent.

When you eat only vegetables, phosphorus is decreasing and this give a chance to other nutrients necessary to metabolize phosphorus to increase
(I insist on the "only" because vegetables have not the same effect otherwise.)

Also because of the reduced amount of proteins, there is a raise in B6 which is necessary for amino acids metabolism.

By the way, note that phosphorus is necessary for ATP production and for parathyroid gland. (We talked about adrenals, thyroid, pancreas, sexual glands, pineal gland, but a missing one is parathyroid, associated with calcium regulation and maybe tremors)

I strongly suggest to keep this somewhere in our theories :
Guaiafesin is used to treat phosphates intoxication in the body and may help with ATP production : It is used to treat fibromyalgia.
We now postulate that a defective metabolism, possibly a kidney enzyme, forces retention of phosphate, which gradually accumulates to detrimental levels in many tissues. This excess induces inadequate energy formation (ATP), cellular fatigue and malfunctions that explain all the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Our paper for interested professionals defends that theory.

We no longer prescribe gout drugs (uricosurics). We now use guaifenesin for fibromyalgia because it has no side effects and is even safe for children
Source : http://www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com/GuaiProtocol.htm

check this link on Guaifenesin.

http://fmnetnews,com/rescources-alert-product6.php
« Last Edit: 26/12/2008 06:26:04 by Finally »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: 26/12/2008 01:41:50 »
Another Toast To All At This Forum:  To Life, To Health,  La'Chaim

Thanks, Underwater, and best wishes to you! Glad you're here.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: 26/12/2008 02:35:35 »
<<<application as a standup denied

Maybe this is a way to
"reduce POIS" ???
« Last Edit: 26/12/2008 17:26:01 by demografx »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: 26/12/2008 03:12:40 »
Hi Martin---
Over the last ten years or so, I have a very balanced diet. Plenty of protein and carboydrates. I need to consume more fruit. I am about 5'11' and weight about 165 lbs. with 9% body fat. Very little fat, sugar (processed), alcohol (none) and caffeine (none)in diet.. I need to eat about 5 small meals a day, but I don't. I can't believe I haven't the discipline to do this. This will be my new year's resolution. (by the way, my last blood test was normal, sugar, thyroid etc.)
When I did marathons (years ago), I ate like a pig, but still very little sugar and caffeine; though tons of carbos.  When I slowed down in the 90's, that's when POIS started manifesting itself significantly. POIS seemed to have reignited by panic disorder from the 1970's--I always dealt with the underlying anxiety/panic first (and still do). This is because POIS was tolerable though very uncomfortable, and CONSTANT anxiety is NOT. Right at the moment, I am dealing with my anxiety condition as usual, but POIS is messing it up. However, I feel some progress with my GAD, and am now completely off meds. For me, orgasm, NE's and erotic dreams can cause problems. Sometimes I don't know if its POIS, POIS LIKE, Sexual Anxiety, Panic etc.etc. This is because symptoms are so similar. Over the years, POIS for me has been defined by the 2-4 day recovery time frame that is so clearly delineated. It's like an anxiety episode with a specific time frame. Regarding Chlorine, I'm very aware of the research and potential dangers. In fact, right now I am swimming every other day to see if there's effect. Sorry if this is a rambling,incoherent answer. I just sat down and peeked at the site. Also, I am adding to my myriad of supplements all the time. This I will list this weekend, as I don't remember every one, and I don't feel like going downstairs right now. HOWEVER, I am going to take Girlwind's advice and focus on strengthening my adrenal glands and overall nervous system. I'm going to buy Adrenal Support supplements tomorrow. I have this intuition that I'm missisng something real simple, and that I've failed to scrutinize my diet, with regard to supplements (because it's a lot easier than changing my acutual food diet). Certainly this forum is helping me focus, but I hope that some rancor that I'm sensing ceases. Each contributor has the potential for creating an epiphany for another member, and we must always add new members; This is so logical. 
Thank you very much for these precisions. Maybe you'll let us know the results with these supplements it will be interesting. I'm glad there is no problem with chlorine since swimming is a very good sport for depression, anxiety. Concerning supplements, I'm not sure if you'll take rhodiola, but in my case, with a small dose,  my sleep became very rare for a week. Night was like during the day ! Very bad experience and I have absolutely no clue why ...

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: 26/12/2008 03:52:39 »
http:fmnetnews,com/rescources-alert-product6.php
It works better like this : http://fmnetnews.com/resources-alert-product6.php

Thank you  Finally for this link, it's interesting, I had to remove "I strongly suggest" ! Sorry for my invasive theory. I was excessively passionate about this because since a very long time I believe that excessive phosphorus intake is one of the cause of my problems. If you check everything you eat you'll certainly find that phosphorus is in excess, at least according to nutrition books. Lack or excess of it is potentially harmful because it's important in the body (works with B vitamins, calcium, magnesium, zinc, involved in carbohydrate metabolism, ATP, constituent of the brain (phospholipids),...)

An other possible explanation about temporary benefits from eating only raw vegetables is the high intake of vitamins not destroyed by heat. Since carbs,proteins need vitamins for their metabolism, theoretically eating cooked food (containing carbs,proteins without vitamins) should be bad..

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: 26/12/2008 04:22:46 »
Even in the bible there are some nutritional tips :
Please don't ban me for this one Demo, it's about medicine!
I have nothing against or for religion, I'm just reporting what I read.
Remember that according to Steve this can lead to nutritional deficiencies.

From Daniel 1. A guy is following a special diet and have more psychological skills (dream interpretation) than other people. The story doesn't say if it's because of vegetables or alcohol abstention.

Please test your servants for ten days, and let us be given some vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13 “Then let our appearance be observed in your presence and the appearance of the youths who are eating the king’s choice food; and deal with your servants according to what you see.”
14 So he listened to them in this matter and tested them for ten days. 15 At the end of ten days their appearance seemed better and they were fatter than all the youths who had been eating the king’s choice food. 16 So the overseer continued to withhold their choice food and the wine they were to drink, and kept giving them vegetables.

17 As for these four youths, God gave them knowledge and intelligence in every branch of literature and wisdom; Daniel even understood all kinds of visions and dreams.
« Last Edit: 26/12/2008 04:28:18 by martin88 »

Offline SteveD

• "God is Truth"...Gandhi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: 26/12/2008 08:06:08 »
Martin,

>>>>Even in the bible there are some nutritional tips :
I have nothing against or for religion, I'm just reporting what I read.
Remember that according to Steve this can lead to nutritional deficiencies.

I, like you, am not afraid to use the wisdom from the Bible if it helps me, either.

>>>>An other possible explanation about temporary benefits from eating only raw vegetables is the high intake of vitamins not destroyed by heat. Since carbs,proteins need vitamins for their metabolism, theoretically eating cooked food (containing carbs,proteins without vitamins) should be bad..

This is my experience with raw foods...

Whatever works! I'll just be more careful with my iron and B12 intake in the future.

Steve D.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: 26/12/2008 08:31:46 »
Demo,

>>Steve, if I may respectfully submit to you: just my opinion, but we have all suffered POIS too long and too agonizingly to be "ginger". Many of us take risks here just by posting publicly about POIS and some incredibly private, confidential details! But what's worse, risking someone's rage or staying in the hellish pits of POIS? I vote for the latter being worse. Much worse.But I do appreciate your sensitivity.

I dink I be 'ginger' none de less...

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: 26/12/2008 17:16:06 »

Don't be silly, Martin ;D, you have been extremely generous in all your contributions to this forum!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: 26/12/2008 17:19:40 »
Steve, if I may respectfully submit to you: just my opinion, but we have all suffered POIS too long and too agonizingly to be "ginger". Many of us take risks here just by posting publicly about POIS and some incredibly private, confidential details! But what's worse, risking someone's rage or staying in the hellish pits of POIS? I vote for the latter being worse. Much worse.But I do appreciate your sensitivity.

Demo,
I dink I be 'ginger' none de less...

OK, Steve, thanks for your consideration and reply.
« Last Edit: 26/12/2008 17:22:13 by demografx »

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: 26/12/2008 20:35:11 »
Feeling hopeful today...

I have the day off . My partner and I have negotiated a 'no genital contact day' for today. Spent 30' in meditation, which I find helpful and calming. I'm fasting until dinner which gives me a little more clarity when I do it. Going to work out with yoga and core exercises (Underwater had noted a relationship between his back and POIS symptoms and so I'll be watching for that today). Then a session with my partner and I's therapist who introduced us to the idea of POIS.

I'm just going to easy does it today and be grateful.

One of the things I'm grateful for is this forum. It's remarkable to have the opportunity to share with people about a disease that I've known I had for decades, but for which the most loving and wise people did not understand.
Thanks everybody.

Steve D.

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: 26/12/2008 22:23:43 »
Steve----
Your thoughts are very Lincolnesque------
As you may know, he suffered severe, cyclical depression and exhaustion.
Most historians consider his condition as falling in the serious, depressive category, with explanations (psychoanalytic) often centering on the losses of the many women he loved.
I tend to agree with that, but I've read that these episodes would come over him and then slowly fade a few days later? I believe he knew these episodes would pass. Although deeply disturbed and miserable, he always saw the light at the end of the tunnel. I submit that he learned how to "wait" for recovery. Could POIS have been a component of his condition? If so, did he do anything behaviourally to ameliorate this, or at least to make it more bearable?
Your words in your last post remind me of Abraham Lincoln, except that he, in the age of Victoria, certainly could not express his intimate concerns in a public forum.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: 27/12/2008 05:04:09 »
Steve----
Your thoughts are very Lincolnesque------
As you may know, he suffered severe, cyclical depression and exhaustion.
Most historians consider his condition as falling in the serious, depressive category, with explanations (psychoanalytic) often centering on the losses of the many women he loved.
I tend to agree with that, but I've read that these episodes would come over him and then slowly fade a few days later? I believe he knew these episodes would pass. Although deeply disturbed and miserable, he always saw the light at the end of the tunnel. I submit that he learned how to "wait" for recovery. Could POIS have been a component of his condition? If so, did he do anything behaviourally to ameliorate this, or at least to make it more bearable?
Your words in your last post remind me of Abraham Lincoln, except that he, in the age of Victoria, certainly could not express his intimate concerns in a public forum.

What has forever confused me about Lincoln and his depression is his famous quote, "A man is about as happy as he makes up his mind to be."

If he really believed that, wouldn't he have "controlled" it more??

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: 27/12/2008 05:16:25 »
I strongly suggest to keep this somewhere in our theories :
Guaiafesin is used to treat phosphates intoxication in the body and may help with ATP production : It is used to treat fibromyalgia.
We now postulate that a defective metabolism, possibly a kidney enzyme, forces retention of phosphate, which gradually accumulates to detrimental levels in many tissues. This excess induces inadequate energy formation (ATP), cellular fatigue and malfunctions that explain all the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Our paper for interested professionals defends that theory.

We no longer prescribe gout drugs (uricosurics). We now use guaifenesin for fibromyalgia because it has no side effects and is even safe for children
Source : http://www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com/GuaiProtocol.htm

http://fmnetnews.com/resources-alert-product6.php

B_Jim, would this fit in with any of your summaries on page 1 or Page 11? Or are you mainly looking at actual POIS experiments?
« Last Edit: 27/12/2008 05:28:19 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: 27/12/2008 05:44:08 »
MRI OF THE BRAIN

It went well today, except the lab tech for the first injection for contrast "missed" the first time and it had to be repeated. I'm not wild about injections.

I'm hoping that the MRI of the pituitary gland will reveal why my prolactin is sky-high (4X the norm!).

And I also hope it eventually reveals something about POIS! Prolactin has been mentioned often in conjunction with the biochemistry of orgasm and as a possible culprit in POIS.

Girlwind was right, it is a loud procedure. At least they gave me earplugs.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: 27/12/2008 06:04:52 »
About religion it's always a delicate subject ! Thanks for my theory Demo, but we probably need more trials and evidences.

I'll just be more careful with my iron and B12 intake in the future.
Perhaps there are other problems resulting from doing this on a regular basis ? Personally I wouldn't feel safe, but it's only my education and culture speaking. I don't really know the consequences. I really wish you the best in the way you choose.

I didn't have enough time to do the cortisol tests but I'll do them as soon as possible, with a prolactin test, and free T3, free T4 as well. My TSH was 3.1, 15 days after orgasm. I just hope that pois is not something a lot bigger than just cortisol, which could just be a simple alarm to advise us that there is a serious problem in the whole system if we continue to have sex in our actual condition. Everything has an end, a limit somewhere. If you run too much, fatigue is there to tell you to stop. Maybe it's the same with sex and we have to accept our own limits. If I feel better after a success in reducing a high cortisol I'll keep as much as possible my actual sexual frequency (low).

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: 27/12/2008 06:40:29 »
I just hope that pois is not something a lot bigger than just cortisol, which could just be a simple alarm to advise us that there is a serious problem in the whole system if we continue to have sex in our actual condition.

Very interesting, Martin, that even if we don't find a "cure" we might be able to develop a "POIS alarm/warning system", to alert us to how well, or how poorly, our physiology is equipped to handle the powerful effects of an orgasm.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: 27/12/2008 10:42:39 »
Hey gang,

My couples therapist suggested today Welbutrin and having an orgasm everyday as a treatment for POIS,
which was suggested to him by Dr. Charles Moser, his mentor,
who has been quoted several times on this thread.

I gave up masturbating 18 1/2 years ago, today, because of POIS. I am not going to follow his suggestion.

I did however swim 60 laps today in 81 minutes... a lifetime high, and I feel great.

Steve D.

Offline tarkington

• View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: 27/12/2008 18:15:44 »
I have recently finished my second bottle of Relora.  That means about two months.  During that time I have had an orgasm on average at least once a day. During that time I have also taken a Centrum Daily tablet every day.  The results:  I have not felt the effects of brain fog and axiety and total mental depression in two months.  However, I have noticed, as a single male who is not sexually active, that I still have emotional problems like loneliness and feeling down some days due to my own emotional problems.  These emotional problems were existant before I started taking Relora and are still there. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: 27/12/2008 19:55:52 »
I have recently finished my second bottle of Relora.  That means about two months.  During that time I have had an orgasm on average at least once a day. During that time I have also taken a Centrum Daily tablet every day.  The results:  I have not felt the effects of brain fog and axiety and total mental depression in two months.  However, I have noticed, as a single male who is not sexually active, that I still have emotional problems like loneliness and feeling down some days due to my own emotional problems.  These emotional problems were existant before I started taking Relora and are still there. 

Tarkington, congratulations on your successes with Relora! Did you also have POIS problems with fatigue/exhaustion?

Sorry to hear of the emotional problems. Maybe the improvements in POIS will free you up to better deal with other emotional problems. Are you seeing a therapist?

I just saw B_Jim's post come in same time as mine. Looks like he is saying something similar, Tarkington.
« Last Edit: 27/12/2008 19:58:53 by demografx »

Offline tarkington

• View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: 27/12/2008 20:10:30 »
Concerning fatigue and exhaustion: for three days after orgasm it was hard to get myself to exercise and do physical activity.  When I did do physical activity, sports, work out, etc. I felt like I wasn't "in the game" and almost physically weak. 

No therapist, but I might be overstating my emotional problems. I feel great but I am sure everyone in the world suffers from some emotional problems.  I was just trying to say that POIS is independent of some of those problems.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: 27/12/2008 20:48:21 »
Tarkington,

>>>>>
Concerning fatigue and exhaustion: for three days after orgasm it was hard to get myself to exercise and do physical activity.  When I did do physical activity, sports, work out, etc. I felt like I wasn't "in the game" and almost physically weak. 

>>><  I was just trying to say that POIS is independent of some of those problems.

That was my experience too, physically, I had the symptoms with POIS independent of my emotional health...Welcome

Steve D.

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: 27/12/2008 21:21:44 »
http:fmnetnews,com/rescources-alert-product6.php
It works better like this : http://fmnetnews.com/resources-alert-product6.php

Thank you  Finally for this link, it's interesting, I had to remove "I strongly suggest" ! Sorry for my invasive theory. I was excessively passionate about this because since a very long time I believe that excessive phosphorus intake is one of the cause of my problems. If you check everything you eat you'll certainly find that phosphorus is in excess, at least according to nutrition books. Lack or excess of it is potentially harmful because it's important in the body (works with B vitamins, calcium, magnesium, zinc, involved in carbohydrate metabolism, ATP, constituent of the brain (phospholipids),...)

An other possible explanation about temporary benefits from eating only raw vegetables is the high intake of vitamins not destroyed by heat. Since carbs,proteins need vitamins for their metabolism, theoretically eating cooked food (containing carbs,proteins without vitamins) should be bad..

I don't know about Guaifenesin but the high Phospherous symptoms are very similar to my long term effects.  How Phospherous retention would increase from Urgasm/sexual stimulation I don't know.  I have had an inclination away from high Phospherous vegetables toward low ones.   The only problem may be carbonated soda. 
My current program of Herbs/enzymes has worked remarkably well in breaking up the "cement" and restoring muscle fleibility.  I am being as abstinent as possible to prevent any setbacks.  It seems as if by restoring the energy levels, the body begins to heal itself?   
I avoid Calcium supplements as the last time I took them I could barely stand up.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: 27/12/2008 22:03:24 »
Hi Finally,

>>>>Hi SteveD, but my post address to other as well.
Everytime I eat a vegan diet I feel a peace in the mind, a better nervous system in some way difficult to describe, along with joy. But I'm not willing to do this for a long time however because this effect is not permanent.

I grew up on a cattle farm in Virginia so I love steak, but I've stayed away from it for 20 years, because I feel those effects that you mention above pretty consistently. In the last two weeks though I've added back daily red meat because I am iron anemic and B-12 deficient.

>>>>I am being as abstinent as possible to prevent any setbacks.

I am in the process of negotiating with my partner to be permanently non-orgasmic in our contact with each other. She is bitterly disappointed, so I am trying to make it up to her in other ways, like supporting her in taking care of herself around an abusive family and being there for her around challenges with her two children. It's not the same but I want her to know that I care and am not abandoning even though I am wanting to commit to  this sexual choice.

>>>  It seems as if by restoring the energy levels, the body begins to heal itself?   

That's currently the approach I am using today, an overall health approach.
Have the day off so I did 90" of meditation this morning, fasting until dinner/ but having 4 ounces of homegrown wheat grass, going to work out hard at the gym now, spent time on the phone being helpful to other folks, which , for me, is a very ameliorative process around the POIS symptoms.

Steve D.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2524 on: 27/12/2008 22:03:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums