The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6440354 times)

Offline tarkington

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #2550 on: 29/12/2008 17:48:43 »

......  My cortisol levels peaked the day of orgasm and gradually decreased for three days until back to normal.

That is not a fact just a theory.  I have not had any tests done.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: 29/12/2008 18:09:30 »
ALPHA 20C/Sunrider

Just received an email reply from my pharmacology-lawyer friend:

" [Demo], Alpha20C sounds dubious. "

I trust him.
« Last Edit: 29/12/2008 18:16:27 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: 29/12/2008 18:17:43 »
Tarkington the problem is some of us  have brain fog the second day (the worst day of pois). That's a big difference.

Well, my typical pois timing was like this :
First hours after orgasm : chills, shortness of breath (high cortisol?)
Some hours later : diarrheas
8-10 hours later : fever and flu-like symptoms
2nd day : brain fog/derealization.

B_Jim, I forgot: did your POIS have exhaustion/fatigue component?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: 29/12/2008 18:21:38 »
......  My cortisol levels peaked the day of orgasm and gradually decreased for three days until back to normal.
That is not a fact just a theory.  I have not had any tests done.

Tarkington, thank you! Very credible theory!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: 29/12/2008 18:25:50 »
It seems Dr Waldinger have just found explanation for PSAS. After, PE gene, he's on fire : maybe an explanation for Pois soon  ;)

Thanks, B_Jim, I just sent Dr. Waldinger a congratulatory email.
« Last Edit: 29/12/2008 18:29:55 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: 29/12/2008 18:29:03 »
I still had POIS symptoms [with nocturnal emissions] but they were 10-15% as potent.

You're very fortunate. Mine were 100% POIS-potent.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: 29/12/2008 18:39:24 »
Curcuma increases cortisol.
This spice seems to best one the best antioxydant anti-inflammatory natural supplement and have effect on immunity and intestine. It might even have effect on Alzheimer disease.
Thanks a lot for this B_Jim(curcuma increases cortisol). I often eat curcuma. On the other side curcuma (turmeric) protects against cancer according to this researcher from an university and hospital. Also since it was mentionned here to avoid foods like brocoli etc (cruciferous) for thyroid, please check this list of foods against cancer at the bottom of this page :
http://preventioncancer.uqam.ca/Foods_cancer_Nutratherapy_EN.htm#Nutrimeds

http://preventioncancer.uqam.ca/Foods_cancer_presentation_EN.htm

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: 29/12/2008 18:54:49 »
according to an ebay web site (!) Alpha 20c contains this :

ALPHA 20 C
Booster for the Immune System (T-cells)
Ingredients: Chinese White Flower, Paris Herb, Scutellaria Herb, Dandelion, Bai-Mao Root, Imperate Root.

I know scutellaria is supposed to be good for nervous system. When I eat raw Dandelion leaves it can sometimes increase my energy (most likely when I'm sexually abstinent). It's a bitter herb (which have a special property around liver)

I don't know the other plants. It's said on the sunrider site it's plant for "wood condition", which (I think) is associated with the concept of liver in chinese medicine.

It's for me as dubious as other supplements we mention here but it can be very interesting if someone has information about a problem with this supplement.
« Last Edit: 29/12/2008 19:02:44 by martin88 »

Offline SteveD

• "God is Truth"...Gandhi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: 29/12/2008 18:56:47 »
I still had POIS symptoms [with nocturnal emissions] but they were 10-15% as potent.

You're very fortunate. Mine were 100% POIS-potent.

I feel very fortunate in that regard. My hope is to commit to letting go of intentional orgasm permanently and begin to work on decreasing the debilitating, but much less so, effects of non-orgasmic sexuality. I also would like to start, slowly, developing other aspects of my life (career, education, finances) as I have devoted myself almost exclusively to solving the POIS symptoms the last 20 months. Just the fellowship here, plus the recent healing from anemia (caused by experiments to eliminate POIS) has given me more confidence, and I am grateful to everyone for their  personal contributions

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: 29/12/2008 19:09:53 »
Martin

>>>>It's for me as dubious as other supplements we mention here

My anemia is getting better with the use of iron and B-12 doctor recommended supplements, but now that it is, I'm adding back daily wheatgrass. Several people on this blog site mention that they are using an overall approach to strengthening the responsiveness of their central nervous system. Since we don't know what causes this , or what the therapy for it is, this approach makes common sense to me. I have never found a food supplement more helpful to  my overall health...It's a lot of work to grow, though!

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: 29/12/2008 19:22:55 »
Tried Relora for the first time four hours ago.

Felt headachy, heart palpitations, speedy, then sleepy, relaxed/sedated, libido diminution and a little druggy/high.

Steve D.

How much did you have?  This may be a psychological reaction....  I've taken it in pretty large doses before (1000+ mg), and I've never felt very different. At most, a little sleepy, or a little edgy... not enough for me to even know for sure whether this was the result of the drug.  When I drink alcohol, I can feel the difference.  When I have something like valium, I can definitely feel the difference.  When I take an antihystamine, I can tell whether or not it is working.  When I take Relora, I'm basically unsure of any difference.  To me, it does *not* feel like a *strong* drug at all (but it could very well be helping with POIS!).
« Last Edit: 29/12/2008 19:24:56 by Counterpoints »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: 29/12/2008 19:34:00 »
I've also been taking about 300 mg of phosphytidylserine per day.  And 5 mg bisoprolol/day (beta-blocker).  Plus some B6, and Ashwaganda.  So a lot of cortisol reducing supplements!

Just curious, CP, besides Relora, how did you come up with this protocol to reduce cortisol? Thanks.

I first found out about phosphytidylserine, ashwaganda and B6, from an article on cortisol, I gave in an earlier post (http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/757599.html).  Since then I've consulted with some people who work in supplement stores, and have done some reading.  A PhD researcher who works with endocrinologists said that a beta blocker probably reduces cortisol.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: 29/12/2008 19:42:37 »

CCc, this is very interesting. I experienced this and researched it and it was called "brain orgasm". But brain orgasms never led to POIS for me. But brain orgasms w/nocturnal emissions did.
[/quote]

really it didnt  that is interesting and am cofused. Have you figure any ways to emitt without orgasm that will be way to see  what is the tru culprit.

Yeah i read people with spinal cord injuries say they experience orgams in areas of their body other genitals.  Some say if you touch their hand that is good enough to give orgasm.  I thought that was nuts but interesting.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: 29/12/2008 19:48:41 »

Also since Fenugreek is supposed to increase cortisol and Relora decreases, perhaps either Relora or Fenugreek are the solution for the brain fog and mental problems.  It's only a matter of whether your body increases or decreases cortisol after orgasm.  If Fenugreek works then maybe its because immediately after orgasm those people have a large decrease in cortisol with the same effects as a large increase in cortisol (that doesn't make sense to me... how can a low amount have the same effects as a high amount) 

Just throwing out my opinion and thinking aloud... any ideas?
[/quote]

i think i can clear up ur confusion a little, cortisol is very important in body for metabolism of all the food you eat.  am thinking if cortisol drops to much and food is not being metabolize it is definately going to affect body.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: 29/12/2008 19:50:03 »
SteveD : have Iron had an effect on your Pois ?

I don't know. I was drinking 4-8 ounces of wheatgrass, three times a day ,for many months and felt free from the desire to be sexual which 'cured' me of POIS. I did not get enough iron or B-12 and began to feel weak and tired... and just wanted to sleep. I knew I was not experiencing depression, so I got five pieces of blood work and a urinalysis done.
I began, three weeks ago today, at a doctor's direction, to take supplements. My strength is returning. I have not had a POIS episode until the night before last. In truth, it was less devastating but still very costly (see post from 12/28/08). I'm not sure what to attribute it to. Some guesses are that 1) the amount of semen lost was small. 2) The intentionality  was not to be orgasmic and this I'm finding, more and more, to be a significant factor in the severity of my POIS symptoms 3) I'm working out extremely hard 4) I'm fasting a lot this week and that is very helpful to me 5) I'm working with others on the phone, in person, and online, and the perspective that comes from that seems to help diminish the symptoms as well.
But, it could have been spurious, plain dumb luck!

In years past my iron level has been fine and I still experienced POIS, so I'm reluctant to ascribe my recent experience to Iron

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: 29/12/2008 19:51:39 »
Coreman

How many time has alpha 20 worked.
Have you tried using it without wellbutrin and the other medication
Have you being using wellburin and other medication without noticing difference and only notice difference after using alpha 20c

am interested in using it but it so expensive.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: 29/12/2008 19:55:21 »

CCconfucious,

>>>i think i can clear up ur confusion a little, cortisol is very important in body for metabolism of all the food you eat.  am thinking if cortisol drops to much and food is not being metabolize it is definately going to affect body.

That makes some sense to me. I notice that when I experience POIS I almost immediately want to eat more food and sleep more

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: 29/12/2008 20:10:41 »
>>>><
Tried Relora for the first time four hours ago.

Felt headachy, heart palpitations, speedy, then sleepy, relaxed/sedated, libido diminution and a little druggy/high.

Steve D.
>>>>How much did you have?  This may be a psychological reaction....  I've taken it in pretty large doses before (1000+ mg), and I've never felt very different. At most, a little sleepy, or a little edgy... not enough for me to even know for sure whether this was the result of the drug.  When I drink alcohol, I can feel the difference.  When I have something like valium, I can definitely feel the difference.  When I take an antihystamine, I can tell whether or not it is working.  When I take Relora, I'm basically unsure of any difference.  To me, it does *not* feel like a *strong* drug at all (but it could very well be helping with POIS!).

I tried 300 MG. My experience last night was kind of close to what Demografx describes below. I am going to continue it today, but my sense is, side efects aside, that this is not near potent enough for me to offset the extreme physical energy losses I experience...but we'll see

RELORA

"Relora is a plant extract. Because the actual active ingredients are not discernible, there's no way to know what the interactions with other drugs might be. Therefore, I would recommend not taking it with Rx drugs,or with OTC drugs either.

This is what the manufacturer says: [Note the elevation in BP]

'side effects also include dizziness, trouble sleeping, and higher blood pressure.'  "
Quote from: demografx on 28/10/2008 14:42:35

IMPORTANT: ...RELORA - PLEASE READ!

Offline tarkington

• View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: 29/12/2008 23:21:00 »
that is interesting that you mentioned food and metabolism in relation to cortisol.  I don't think I have mentioned this before, but within a day after orgasm I have no appetite.  I have a "sick to my stomach" feeling which prevents me from eating almost anything except ice cold sodas. After about a day that feeling disappears

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: 29/12/2008 23:53:02 »
Hi Tarkington--
Your description of POIS is very close to mine. Insomnia first night with sweating, tension, anxiety and chills. Second day involves fatigue, depression and continued anxiety with chills, but usually a slightly improved sleep. Third and fourth days general anxiety, mild depression and improving stamina, but still a little fatigued.
During this whole period I am anti-social and don't feel like using my mind. Also during this whole period I have muscle tightness and inflammation, expecially in lower back etc. USUALLY by day five it's gone; but it may linger. I've always assumed, for me, that adrenaline kicks the whole thing off until it combines with my high cortisol levels. Adrenaline eases after a day or so but the cortisol stays high.
I think that those of us here (and from my reading I think there are a few)who also have anxiety issues, there is a conflating of the two i.e. POIS make the anxiety worse and anxiety makes the POIS worse. This is why, for me, I always work on my general anxiety first. I can't really "work" on POIS, because I've never found anything that consistently worked. However, I am going to give Relora a try. Also, I have added Garlic to my daily supplements. Interestingly, when I feel real good (non-pois for many weeks due to lack of "O"), I am a lot less anxious about POIS. However, the last month or so my general anxiety condition has been horrible, thus necessitating that I really avoid "O". 

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: 30/12/2008 00:08:39 »
underwater: you say you have "mild depression", "general anxiety", social anxiety, and you "don't like using your mind", while in "POIS".  Yet earlier you said you didn't have mental symptoms, only physical?

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: 30/12/2008 00:15:02 »
Counterpoints, I read that you may occasionally use valium. I've used Benzos over the years for my Anxiety, but I never specifically tried it before or after "O". Have you ever experimented with it in regards to POIS? I've often thought about trying it as an after pill. Also, I've always used very small (subtherapeutic) doses. Never more than 1 mg. a day.

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: 30/12/2008 00:25:08 »
Hi Counterpoints---
Yes, I have a difficult time using my mind, and I will prefer not to engage. But, since I was in education for many years, I was often lecturing or having meetings at undesirable times. I don't think I have the "brain fog" that many people here describe nor the intensity of cognitive disorientation, but rather a very diminished form of "mental" discomfort. Still a very bothersome reaction. For me, it's never really been brain fog and fatigue as the two prime symptoms, but rather tension, anxiety, depression and fluctuating body temperatures. I often feel like a have been plugged into an electric outlet with a mild current.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: 30/12/2008 02:03:35 »
CCc, this is very interesting. I experienced this and researched it and it was called "brain orgasm". But brain orgasms never led to POIS for me. But brain orgasms w/nocturnal emissions [i.e., wet dreams] did [lead to POIS].

really it didnt  that is interesting and am cofused. Have you figure any ways to emitt without orgasm that will be way to see  what is the tru culprit.

Emit without orgasm?? I don't think that's possible!
Weak orgasm, maybe, but not zero.

Yeah i read people with spinal cord injuries say they experience orgams in areas of their body other genitals.  Some say if you touch their hand that is good enough to give orgasm.  I thought that was nuts but interesting.

Extra-genital orgasm? That's news to me! I think it's totally different from "brain orgasm", if that's what you were referring to.

"Brain orgasm" is basically just a wet dream...but without the "wet" :) In other words, the orgasm is strictly within your mind, and it's completely detached from your body, so no emission occurs! And "climax" feeling can be just as intense as reality.
« Last Edit: 30/12/2008 03:22:58 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: 30/12/2008 02:12:25 »
Counterpoints, I read that you may occasionally use valium. I've used Benzos over the years for my Anxiety, but I never specifically tried it before or after "O". Have you ever experimented with it in regards to POIS? I've often thought about trying it as an after pill. Also, I've always used very small (subtherapeutic) doses. Never more than 1 mg. a day.

From Oct. 2006 to January 2007, I used 0.5 mg Lorazepam pills.  Lorazepam (tradename Ativan) is a benzodiazepine like Valium.  It has a shorter half-life, and it's faster acting.  So it's better than valium for panic attacks.  (It's also used in smaller dosages).  I could feel the effects within 10-20 minutes.  I had them prescribed to me specifically for dealing with POIS symptoms.  I tried taking one to two 0.5mg pills about 40 minutes prior to orgasm, and sometimes one after.  It did help me cope, but I didn't feel POIS was noticeably improved. However, my POIS was better than it ever has been, from Dec. 2006 to Feb. 2008.  So maybe it somehow "reset" my system in a way that helped more than I thought... maybe I started to associate orgasm with relaxation, and that had a chemical effect?  Just some wild speculation. :-)

Coreman has reported good results with Clonazepam (another benzodiazepine).  It has helped with his POIS.  And looking up Clonazepam on Wikipedia, I just noticed something very very interesting!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonazapam:
Clonazepam decreases release of acetylcholine in cat brain [3] and decreases prolactin release.[4]
« Last Edit: 30/12/2008 02:16:39 by Counterpoints »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2574 on: 30/12/2008 02:12:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length