The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6429462 times)

Offline SteveD

• "God is Truth"...Gandhi
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #2600 on: 31/12/2008 09:58:57 »
Wheatgrass is a grass I grow on the roof of my building, in 17"X17" trays, in a soil of organic cocoanut shavings from Sri Lanka...Talk about obscure!

I gave up red meat 20 years ago when I gave alcohol, drugs, cigarettes and caffeine. Some remarkable man said I could 'get in touch with my feelings more' if I gave up red meat. As crazy as he sounded to me, at the time, that proved to be true, so I tried giving up white meat, dairy, eggs, flour and sugar...slowly, over 20 years and found that every surrender led me to better health and a better emotional life.

A friend liked what he saw it did for me and went to the Living Foods Institute in Atlanta. He came back and taught me about raw foods and living foods. Of the living foods group wheatgrass is far and away he most potent food for healing and health purposes in my experience.

20 months ago, in an attempt to solve the POIS problem I gathered nine natural foods experts around me and began to take wheat grass in volume, at it's peak 48 ounces a day, generally 12 ounces a day.The most remarkable result was that my desire to be sexual went away, which is what I wanted.  

SteveD
>>>>>I'm amazed that you can ingest that much wheat grass. When I drink just 4 oz., it gives me nausea. I'm thinking
that might be a detox reaction, but whatever it is, it's hard to stomach. Have you had that problem with it? Or
is there some way to remedy that, so the nausea is less intense?

The nausea goes away, but the nasty taste stays forever...reminds me of burnt motor oil...I try to remember the scene from Rocky I where he's drinking those raw eggs...

>>>Also, with raw foods... I can eat so much raw food in summer and it seems to make me feel better (though I do eat
meat as well in small "medicinal" doses). But in winter when it's cold out, I can't do it. I am cold all the time, even
while eating hot soups. How do the living foods people deal with that? Do they all live in hot climates? Or just set
their thermostat to 80 degrees.   :D

I'm cold a lot. I live in San Francisco where it's high 40's at night and low 60's during the day and I'm 5'9" and 139 pounds so I wear a leather jacket all the time.

By the way, I saw your youtube piece on POIS and really liked it. Do you do a lot of video production?

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: 31/12/2008 10:17:12 »
Martin,

>>>>Steve you never make things "half" (I don't know the right expression) and that's a good thing!

I'm just extremely stubborn...

>>>>I'm wondering if wheatgrass is lowering libido or if it's your whole diet. Perhaps you're right because I know that green foods make me anxious sometimes, specially in pois. I think my anxiety arrives more easily in pois when I eat foods decreasing libido while I'm around pois. There is a close link between lack of libido and anxiety for me. By libido I understand pleasure, with sexual attraction, not an urgent need of ejaculation, it's different.

One of my favorite expressions is Gandhi's "Complete control of the palate made observance of the vow of celibacy very easy". I was already a raw organic vegan when I read that, but still filled with an urgent lust. For me, I knew that my lust was at the very bottom of my POIS (NE excepted). I started to weigh and measure all my food with a digital scale 20 months ago and make a food plan the night before, and somehow, and I don't know why, that gave me "complete control of the palate"....and my lust diminished down into just a normal libido.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: 31/12/2008 10:29:43 »
Just want to check in with you guys.

I began to talk publicly about POIS tonight . It was received fairly well. Some disbelief, some horror, some compassion and some tenderness. Glad I did it.

On another note, my hope is to negotiate with my partner to roll back our sexual activity from non-orgasmic sexuality, which we committed to, in therapy, yesterday, to simply hugging and kissing. Not all the time, but to just increase the frequency of those days. I experience POIS in degrees. The big "O" is the obvious sledge hammer, broad sword, body slam, big ticket item, but I experience loss way, way before that. So, we'll see.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: 31/12/2008 13:23:23 »
I had to add an update to my precedent post when I say "It seems to be safe", it's not sure at all. Girlwind, do you think it would be wise to take the same ingredients (after a review) from an other source we can trust, since your experience is a very old one, maybe it's not the same product now. I can't understand why naturals products are not tested for contaminants by the government. Hopefully this will change soon, for example in Canada, I think all supplements will have to be given a "natural product number" by the health's governmental agency. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodnatur/applications/licen-prod/lnhpd-bdpsnh-eng.php
I can't find what they're testing exactly ..
« Last Edit: 31/12/2008 17:14:52 by martin88 »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: 31/12/2008 14:40:52 »
But, John! Now you're gonna keep us all in suspense about your new theory???? It's not fair!!!!!!

Ok Demo, as you wish. But my theory isn't new, and peanut butter might even help. I am thinking thyroid.

A couple of weeks ago my double vision came back on me. Double vision can be a symptom of hyperthyroidism. I always thought that if I had this malady I would have more of the listed symptoms, but maybe not: http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijfp/vol4n2/diplopia.xml

I realized that at the time this returned I had been away from home and had changed my diet. And when I returned home I was trying new foods as well. Why would this matter? Because my typical evening meal was broccoli/cauliflower/carrot + potato + soybeans. Soy, broccoli and cauliflower are all goitrogenic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goitrogen

And as it happens, my typical lunch includes a PB&J sandwich, and peanut butter is on the list as well. So, what I unknowingly had was a diet well tailored to reducing somewhat the effects of an overactive thyroid. Could this explain my recent success post NE (rather than or in addition to garlic)? Well I had an NE yesterday morning and I definitely felt I was affected, although I have a cold making it harder to distinguish. Last night I loaded up on my typical goitrogenic supper and today I seem better already. If I am right a couple of intense weeks of this diet and my eyes might get better.

I am going to try to get some blood work done and if I am able to I will abandon this diet for a duration beforehand to try to prove the point. TSH plus freeT4 and freeT3 seem to be the tests to ask for.

Girlwind, I believe you are hypo? Do you find that you are sensitive to such foods?

John, maybe that's what it takes to be completely sexually abstinent, even if it will aggravate a rare episode of pois. Soya is rich in phytoestrogens. In a book I read that estrogens are helpful to avoid the urge for sex.

About cauliflower I noticed that it's increasing a lot the duration of my morning erections. maybe this is an explanation :
Eat Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and brussel sprouts. These contain Indole 3 Carbinol which increases the conversion of estradiol to “weaker” (2OHE) estrogen. Broccoli also contains quercetin which is beneficial for chronic prostatitis.

All this is very confusing with the thyroid theory, maybe the solution is to avoid always eating the same foods everyday.
« Last Edit: 31/12/2008 14:51:34 by martin88 »

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: 31/12/2008 17:27:08 »
I have to add an update to my precedent post when I say "It seems to be safe", it's not sure at all. Girlwind, do you think it would
be wise to take the same ingredients (after a review) from an other source we can trust, since your experience is a very old one,
maybe it's not the same product now.

The Sunrider products were like a fad here for while in the late 80's up to the mid 90's, but they fizzled out in their popularity
mostly because of the multi-level marketing that marks up their price so much. I have no idea if they were tested to be free of
toxins and heavy metals, but I never heard any complaints about anyone having toxicity problems with them.  Of course, that's
not a very scientific assessment.

If you want to "create the same formula" as is in Alpha 20C, then the Sun Ten Labs/Brion Herbs herbs are the absolute cleanest
toxin-free Chinese herbs that you can possibly get. They actually won a Prop 65 lawsuit! And that is BIG proof.

"Of the numerous herbal companies sued to date, Sun Ten and Brion Herbs are the only companies who have successfully
fought the Proposition 65 suite by proving that thier products were not in violation of the California law.

The allegations stated that all of the Sun Ten and Brion Herbs' formulations and single herbs were violation of Proposition 65.
Over a period of three years, Sun Ten Labs and Brion Herbs Corporation engaged in a process of costly research and methods
of verification of manufacturing processes, using an international team of esteemed soil experts, herbal experts, pre-eminent
academic experts, and scientists in realated fields to document that all their herbal products, manufacturing practices,
sources of herbs and the soils in which they were grown do not add any metal pollutants,
and that heavy metals that occur
naturally in soils were reduced to the lowest levels possible. In this process they were able to demonstrate that all their pro-
ducts met the requirements of Proposition 65."

SOURCE: http://www.brionherbs.com/20.html
« Last Edit: 31/12/2008 17:29:59 by girlwind »

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: 31/12/2008 19:31:35 »

If you want to "create the same formula" as is in Alpha 20C, then the Sun Ten Labs/Brion Herbs herbs are the absolute cleanest
toxin-free Chinese herbs that you can possibly get. They actually won a Prop 65 lawsuit! And that is BIG proof.

Girlwind, do you know if Sun Ten Labs/Brion Herbs makes a specific product whose combination of herbs is similar to that of Sunrider's Alpha 20C?

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: 31/12/2008 19:42:28 »
Demo is right that it's not a good thing to find the ingredients only on ebay...

In terms of other references for the ingredients of Alpha 20C, I found this site:
http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/blog/boardDetail_temp.cfm?id=1248814
which has a posting that says:
One bottle is called Alpha 20C, dietary supplement, herbal concentrate, and has:
Nandina flower (Chinese white flower)
paris polyphylla (Paris herb) root
scutellaria balcalensis (scutellaria herb)root
dandelion root
imperata root

and another site:
http://wildlifeunity.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=131591&sid=32ae4c932f721a281546924d36944048
that says:
My grandma gave me some immune system type (all natural) pills called Alpha 20C, from Sunrider. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if these ingredients sound OK for dogs?

- Chinese White Flower
- Paris Herb
- Scutellaria Herb
- Dandelion Root
- Imperate Root

While these are by no means 'authoritative' references, they do seem to match the ingredient listing on the ebay site.  (Interestingly, though, the ebay site lists "Bai-Mao Root" as one of the ingredients, whereas neither of these two sites include it.)

It would be helpful to find out if any of these ingredients are traditionally used for treating symptoms/imbalances similar to POIS...
« Last Edit: 31/12/2008 19:46:24 by Guthrie »

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: 31/12/2008 20:10:02 »

Girlwind, do you know if Sun Ten Labs/Brion Herbs makes a specific product whose combination of herbs is similar to that of Sunrider's Alpha 20C?

No, they probably don't make something like Alpha 20C. Their products are usually sold to acupuncturists/herbalists,
who buy the single herbs in bulk for their practice. You could check them out and see what they have, and possibly
buy the herbs singly and mix them together--but that might be expensive. Or if you see a TCM practitioner, maybe
they might be able to prepare a similar formula for you.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: 31/12/2008 20:13:02 »
It would be helpful to find out if any of these ingredients are traditionally used for treating symptoms/imbalances similar to POIS...

This is a site that I have used to identify Chinese herbs. There's probably others as well. This site lists
the herbs by their Chinese name--which works well when the label on the product does the same.

http://tcm.health-info.org/Herbology.Materia.Medica/Herbs.alphabetical.htm

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: 31/12/2008 20:45:51 »
Martin,
John, maybe that's what it takes to be completely sexually abstinent, even if it will aggravate a rare episode of pois. Soya is rich in phytoestrogens. In a book I read that estrogens are helpful to avoid the urge for sex.

About cauliflower I noticed that it's increasing a lot the duration of my morning erections. maybe this is an explanation :
Eat Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and brussel sprouts. These contain Indole 3 Carbinol which increases the conversion of estradiol to “weaker” (2OHE) estrogen. Broccoli also contains quercetin which is beneficial for chronic prostatitis.

All this is very confusing with the thyroid theory, maybe the solution is to avoid always eating the same foods everyday.

My diet hasn't seemed to affect my ability to stay chaste. But I eat rather healthy so if Gandhi was right then perhaps that makes chastity easier. It kind of makes sense to me in a psychological sense: lust could be a shapeshifter, morphing from food to sex. Perhaps there is also a biological reason why refusing excessive delicacies from the supermarket might reduce lust. Hey maybe that is how Daniel did it! It wasn't just the veggies he was eating, he didn't have any sex aftereffects clouding his mind :D

Whether the estrogens could be affecting me I don't know, but thanks for the info.

« Last Edit: 31/12/2008 21:02:34 by John21 »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: 31/12/2008 20:49:28 »
Dear Dr blank,
Thank you for the information. I had an email from a sex therapist here in the US who knows me, talking about a patient who has a similar reaction to orgasm and even to orgasm during her sleep. I will forward your information to this sex therapist.
I had not heard about this before, although I do know Dr Waldinger and know of some of his research.
I will have to look into this in more depth to see what feedback I can give to you. I am copying my research colleague, Dr. Barry Komisaruk on this reply to see if he has any feedback for you. Barry please copy me if you do respond to Dr. blank.
Sincerely,
Dr. Beverly Whipple

I did not expect such a quick respond
what should i respond other than gratitude

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: 31/12/2008 21:19:35 »

CCconfucious,
That is great!  Did you send Dr. Whipple a link to our forum?  Also, her email seems to indicate that her colleague's patient is another female with POIS, which is interesting.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: 31/12/2008 22:52:37 »
John,

>>>>My diet hasn't seemed to affect my ability to stay chaste.

It sounds as though chastity is something you practice or strive for.I have found this useful.

What does seem to affect your ability to stay chaste?

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: 31/12/2008 23:17:24 »
Steve,
I am not perfect at anything, chastity included, but I generally do well by avoiding what would lead my mind to "go there". As a single man I keep my eyes off web sites/television shows/etc that would even minimally instill lust. I find my greatest challenge comes when my sleep gets thrown off. I have had chronic insomnia for many years but it is much better than it used to be.  I continue to wake early in the morning but I usually get sufficient sleep these days. But if I was to drink even a small amount of alcohol it would mess my sleep up for a number of days, and it's that type of situation in which lust comes to me, for whatever reason.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: 01/01/2009 01:22:11 »
Steve,
I am not perfect at anything, chastity included, but I generally do well by avoiding what would lead my mind to "go there". As a single man I keep my eyes off web sites/television shows/etc that would even minimally instill lust. I find my greatest challenge comes when my sleep gets thrown off. I have had chronic insomnia for many years but it is much better than it used to be.  I continue to wake early in the morning but I usually get sufficient sleep these days. But if I was to drink even a small amount of alcohol it would mess my sleep up for a number of days, and it's that type of situation in which lust comes to me, for whatever reason.

John,

Thanks. I, too seek progress rather than perfection and I find that alcohol, probably more than anything, would kick up my lust.
Here' to an alcohol and POIS free New Years!

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: 01/01/2009 01:50:03 »
Just Brainstorming Here:
Can we share some descriptions of how we recover during the POIS recovery phase?
For me, it has traditionally be 2-5 days for complete recovery. When I have felt great "before", the period has been shorter. My observations: 1)Sleep returns and insomnia fades usually after 1 day   2) Body temperature ceases to fluctuate, and stabilizes after 1-2 days   3) Tinnitus diminishes after 2 days  4) Sensitivity to sound diminishes after 2 days  5) Heart rates returns to my normal 50 resting after 2-3 days    6) Energy level increases after 3 days    7) Dry mouth vanishes after 3 days
8) Less irritable after 3 days   9) Socializing/Humor returns after 4 days   
10) An umbrella of relaxation comes over me at 4-5 days like a magic tranquilizer that is my old self --------Happy New Year-------

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: 01/01/2009 16:39:17 »
I am wondering about the relation between fenugreek and cortisol.  A few days ago, Tarkington suggested:
Also since Fenugreek is supposed to increase cortisol and Relora decreases, perhaps either Relora or Fenugreek are the solution for the brain fog and mental problems.  It's only a matter of whether your body increases or decreases cortisol after orgasm. 

And, a little earlier, B_Jim wrote:
Fenugreek decreases glycemia, increase cortsiol (supposed), decrease inflammation .

However, in googling, I couldn't find much information fenugreek increasing cortisol at all.  In fact, the only link I did find on the relation between the two was one that said that fenugreek DECREASES cortisol:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6884420.html
Fenugreek, a slender annual herb of the pea family, may decrease cortisol production in the body when it is too high

Could those who had information about fenugreek increasing cortisol post the links you found?

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: 01/01/2009 16:48:29 »
Heres a government sponsored website that shows studies on prolactin and post-orgasmic.

Also check out the links on the right side

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=16095799&log$=activity

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: 01/01/2009 18:15:46 »
Heres a government sponsored website that shows studies on prolactin and post-orgasmic.

Also check out the links on the right side

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=16095799&log$=activity

Limejuice, this is great. Thanks! (I'm still waiting for results of my Prolactin Mystery : - )

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: 01/01/2009 18:29:56 »
I am wondering about the relation between fenugreek and cortisol.

Guthrie, while waiting for the fenugreek-cortisol-posters reply, the PDR info below on fenugreek has references at the bottom that might help.
http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/altmed/altmed-mono.aspx?contentFileName=ame0071.xml&contentName=Fenugreek&contentId=234

The following shows fenugreek and cortisol in forum posts:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fenugreek+cortisol+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com
« Last Edit: 01/01/2009 19:05:09 by demografx »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: 01/01/2009 19:16:36 »
Haha, I've noticed this Fenugreek side-effect:

- Maple syrup smell in your sweat or urine

Personally I think it's benefit to using it :)  Oral deorderant anyone?

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: 01/01/2009 19:53:36 »
Hey guys,

Just kind of reviewing and making a couple of goals (read-New Years Resolutions!)
1) First off, and far and away the most important thing, I want to eradicate the effects of the POIS illness in my life....forever, one day at a time
2) I want this to be a great year in my life and the happiest lives I've seen are spiritual, not religious, so I want to develop more of the prayer and service part of my life.
3) If I can successfully stabilize the POIS, I want to develop my 'normal life'  (career, education, finances, having fun!)

Tha, tha, that's all folks!

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: 01/01/2009 23:42:59 »

CCconfucious,
That is great!  Did you send Dr. Whipple a link to our forum?  Also, her email seems to indicate that her colleague's patient is another female with POIS, which is interesting.

yeah i gave her link to both youtube and the forum.  I hope the sexologist she is talking about has good information for us.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: 02/01/2009 00:06:14 »
i dont know if you guys notices this or not but in dr waldingers paper he mentioned oxytocin can impair cognitive skills when it is over produce and also it is one of the hormones produced after orgasm.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2624 on: 02/01/2009 00:06:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums