The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6433827 times)

Offline SteveD

• "God is Truth"...Gandhi
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #2725 on: 09/01/2009 10:31:55 »
but refraining from orgasm is something I'm learning to excel at. 
Yes, thank you for clarifying that, Girlwind. Mantak Chia's Taoist-based male-sexuality-version of "orgasm without ejaculation" techniques are what I strenuously learned and successfully executed, but they didn't work for me since  POIS is probably not simply a reaction to semen loss
[/quote]

Demo/Girlwind,

I'm not sure what is being delineated here, but curious to know....

"but refraining from orgasm is something I'm learning to excel at."... I understand. For the last two days, at my request my partner and I have refrained from not only genital contact, but also from potentially arousing hugging and kissing, because I really wanted to be as present energetically tonight at a show I did, and I wanted to use all my energy for the performance. It worked very well and I was at the best I could be, all other conditions being the same.

POIS, for me, may not be not be about seminal loss, but it does happens when I lose semen...and four stages before. I rolled back two of the stages the last two days and was pleasantly rewarded...

I'm no saint, and after the show I made love with my partner, non-orgasmically, for three hours....and I'm okay. So, "refraining from orgasm is something I'm learning to excel at," is something I understand and works for me, too.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: 09/01/2009 10:37:07 »
Exercise and playing music have always helped me. When I had a particularly bad period back in 97/98, I wrote quite a bit of music (using guitar), and it helped me relax immensely. I even had a sound studio for awhile, and making music can be quite therapeutic.
Abstinence has always been my most effective strategy for succor.
I think the "joylessness" of others' reactions might be some version of fear. Health issues with a baffling tinge to them (like POIS
and CFS) sometimes freak people out, in ways that they aren't even aware of. I'm happy to hear that you are celebrating in spite
of that. Hallelujah to creativity! Music and painting have been my saving grace as well. And new shoes can be a good thing too.  :)

Girlwind/Underwater,

Thanks for the support,

Steve

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: 09/01/2009 21:53:36 »
I am amazed at how many of us are musically inclined. On a previous post it was noticed that many of us played instruments. Demo was one, I forget the rest...now SteveD as well. What do you think, strange coincidence?

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: 09/01/2009 22:14:03 »
I am amazed at how many of us are musically inclined. On a previous post it was noticed that many of us played instruments. Demo was
one, I forget the rest...now SteveD as well. What do you think, strange coincidence?

Yes, we have A LOT of MUSICALLY INCLINED people here. We've brought this up before on the forum.
I think the list includes: Demo, SteveD, Martin88, Counterpoints, Underwater and me. There might be
more. I think we kidded about starting a band at one point, and Demo even created a set list.
« Last Edit: 09/01/2009 22:15:57 by girlwind »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: 10/01/2009 00:20:41 »
OK.  Nothing left to do then start a band.

P.rofessional O.rchestrated I.nstrument S.ymphony
Starring:

Demographx -
Girlwind -
SteveD -
Martin88 -
Counterpoints -
Underwater -
LimeJuice - on the Bass or Cello.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: 10/01/2009 02:14:31 »
OK.  Nothing left to do then start a band.

P.rofessional O.rchestrated I.nstrument S.ymphony
Starring:

How about "The Too hot for Sex" band? ...Catchy

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: 10/01/2009 04:00:03 »
It seems that FenuGreek and Maca which I take 3x/day along with Garden of life Restore(FYI Ultra also works ) has the greatest effect on the CFS/Fibromyalgia symptoms. 
Yohimbe and Horney goat weed seem to be more of a secondary help in the formula.  Works good taken with fruit juice(berries Pomegranite etc)   
I also take about 50mg. od DHEA.  When I took it alone there wasn't a great effect. 

I haven't had an orgasm in 2 months. The physical desire goes down as long as there isn't too much stress to deal with.  Kind of keeping my mind on other things as much as possible.  Having good results and progress keeps positive mental energy.   
I took Maca a long time ago and there was no improvement.(maybe a bad brand..). You're able to stay 2 months without orgasm while taking horny goat, it's not what is written about this plant ! As I said before I'll try fenugreek.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: 10/01/2009 07:02:10 »
I've been noticing strangeness in my life as I transition to post-looking-for-a-solution-to-POIS. I'm feeling quite susceptible and vulnerable to some pleasant, but self destructive, dark urges I have. I think that's because my guard is down. I found POIS so difficult to solve that it kept other less destructive things at bay while I was working on it. I wasn't expecting that, but it makes sense to me.

Also, not having to debate in my head whether to have an orgasm or not on a moment-per-moment-during- the-event basis frees me to notice some more subtle things. When I am being non-orgasmically sexual I get jolts of neurochemicals that are hypnotic and intoxicating, almost opiate quality alterations. These are extremely physically pleasurable. That's the good news. The bad news is that there is a residual, damping, if not debilitating effect. Certainly the extreme mental clarity and dexterousness are virtually annihilated....and I ain't near as funny! 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: 10/01/2009 07:15:46 »
I think Henri [Honoré] de Balzac might have been right, perhaps.

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom," "A lover always thinks of his mistress first and himself second; with a husband it runs the other way," "The more one judges, the less one loves." ???

(Just giving you a hard time, Steve ;D)
« Last Edit: 10/01/2009 07:20:56 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: 10/01/2009 07:25:52 »
I've been noticing strangeness in my life as I transition to post-looking-for-a-solution-to-POIS. I'm feeling quite susceptible and vulnerable to some pleasant, but self destructive, dark urges I have. I think that's because my guard is down. I found POIS so difficult to solve that it kept other less destructive things at bay while I was working on it. I wasn't expecting that, but it makes sense to me.

Also, not having to debate in my head whether to have an orgasm or not on a moment-per-moment-during- the-event basis frees me to notice some more subtle things. When I am being non-orgasmically sexual I get jolts of neurochemicals that are hypnotic and intoxicating, almost opiate quality alterations. These are extremely physically pleasurable. That's the good news. The bad news is that there is a residual, damping, if not debilitating effect. Certainly the extreme mental clarity and dexterousness are virtually annihilated....and I ain't near as funny! 

Steve, forgive me for being presumptuous, but you sound just like I did when I thought I had POIS solved.

A CRASHING disappointment arrived in the form of unwanted release.

I honestly wish you the best. I would just hate to see the same thing happen!

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: 10/01/2009 07:42:56 »
I think Henri [Honoré] de Balzac might have been right, perhaps.

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom," "A lover always thinks of his mistress first and himself second; with a husband it runs the other way," "The more one judges, the less one loves." ???

(Just giving you a hard time, Steve ;D)

I don't know that quote,
Balzac is quoted as saying after making love to his beloved "There goes another novel". Implying of course that he could be sexual or write a book, but he could not do both with the same energy.
I'm not in that league when it comes to talent, but I do know that I felt enthusiasm for my work, which in part was prepping to teach Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) tomorrow and hunting for a gig in a difficult district here in town. It's little stuff, but it's meaningful to me.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: 10/01/2009 07:47:54 »
I think we kidded about starting a band at one point, and Demo even created a set list.

Quote from: martin88 on 27/09/2008 00:51:42
Four musicians, we're not so far to create the pois band!

Quote from: demografx on 27/09/2008
POIS BAND, that's hilarious, Martin! I can just see it now, songs like "I'm So Tired" (actual Beatles song) or "I Love You But Let's Not Sleep Together" ;D

More POIS songs?:
So Tired - Ozzy Osbourne
Tired Of Being Alone - Al Green
Tired Of Being Blonde - Carly Simon
Tired of England - Dirty Pretty Things
Tired Of Sex - Weezer
Tired Of Waiting For You - The Kinks
Tired Of You - Foo Fighters

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: 10/01/2009 07:51:16 »
...prepping to teach Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) tomorrow and hunting for a gig in a difficult district here in town. It's little stuff, but it's meaningful to me.

Hardly sounds like "little stuff"!

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: 10/01/2009 07:53:25 »

Steve, forgive me for being presumptuous, but you sound just like I did when I thought I had POIS solved.

A CRASHING disappointment arrived in the form of unwanted release.

I honestly wish you the best. I would just hate to see the same thing happen!

A crashing disappointment would be very, very easy to engage by simply going over the line and being orgasmic. I like Girlwind's thought about that though

Quote from: girlwind on 07/01/2009 21:27:55
"but refraining from orgasm is something I'm learning to excel at"

...but, hey if I knew everything I wouldn't be here now would I?

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: 10/01/2009 08:05:19 »
...prepping to teach Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) tomorrow and hunting for a gig in a difficult district here in town. It's little stuff, but it's meaningful to me.

Hardly sounds like "little stuff"!

You know it's getting human and 'normal' for me. I have had to employ 'divine' tools to help myself solve a totally incomprehensible illness, for me, including having a 96 year old Catholic, virgin, monk be my primary mentor six days a week, for 10 years. I really liked the purity of aspiring to 'holiness' so this gray area of non-orgasmic sexuality is like wearing a shirt that's brand new. You know it's going to fit, it just feels too tight out of the box ...and you think you might look like an idiot in it.

PS Another POIS band tune "Let's don't do it in the road" , or less rudely "Why can't we be friends?"

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: 10/01/2009 08:09:22 »
I think we orgasm-program our bodies from past behavior, much like our body clock that expects daylight at a certain time period and gets thrown for a loop when we travel = jet lag.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: 10/01/2009 08:11:49 »
Another POIS band tune "Let's don't do it in the road" , or less rudely "Why can't we be friends?"

;D ;D

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: 10/01/2009 08:27:46 »
In the interest of promoting balance on the subject of abstinence:

"Modern research on abstinence
Since 1957, no ill effects have been shown to be associated with frequent sexual activity, and indeed many studies have demonstrated that it facilitates substantial health benefits. One study suggests that frequent ejaculation may lead to a lower risk of prostate cancer.[2] There have been numerous studies indicating that excessive repression of the sexual instinct leads to an increase in the overall level of aggression in a given society. For example, psychologist J.M. Prescott, in a cross-cultural investigation published in The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists (1975), found that societies forbidding premarital sex are plagued by acts of rage, and tend to have higher rates of crime and violence. Prescott also found a link between sexual repression and aggression, insensitivity, criminal behaviour, and a greater likelihood of killing and torturing enemies.

In 1997, Forbes Magazine reported on "one of the most credible studies correlating overall health with sexual frequency". Queens University in Belfast tracked the mortality of about 1,000 middle-aged men over the course of a decade. The study, published in 1997 in the British Medical Journal found that "men who reported the highest frequency of orgasm enjoyed a death rate half that of the laggards"; that is to say, those that engaged in sex more frequently enjoyed longer lives. The report also cited other studies to show that having sex even a few times a week may be associated with: improved sense of smell; reduced risk of heart disease; weight loss and overall fitness; reduced depression (in women); the relief or lessening of pain; less frequent colds and flu; better bladder control; better teeth; and improved prostate function. The report cited a study published by the British Journal of Urology International which indicated that men in their 20s can reduce by a third their chance of getting prostate cancer by ejaculating more than five times a week."

Above excerpted from wikipedia
« Last Edit: 10/01/2009 09:17:43 by demografx »

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: 10/01/2009 08:45:18 »
I think we orgasm-program our bodies from past behavior, much like our body clock that expects daylight at a certain time period and gets thrown for a loop when we travel = jet lag.

That's an interesting thought. If that were true then it would seem, to me, that we could train our bodies, to the degree that it is sanely possible to 'cycle down' and live reasonably happy, contented, satisfied lives without orgasm. Around sanity, I know men who clam to be responsible for their nocturnal emission. I think that there are things I can do to influence the likelihood that I can decrease the possibility of nocturnal emission, like not fantasizing about being sexual with previous partners or imagining being sexual with women who I haven't been sexual with. I find that that choice dramatically increases the probability of NE's. Also, objectifying women or 'body parting'. Finally, 'intriguing' with women, which , for me , means sexualizing conversations with women through the use of double entendre, sexual inuenndo or sexualized humor. All that stuff just loads my central nervous system up with huge amounts of sexual energy , just looking for a place to release. Fortunately, EM's, for me, are infrequent and have nowhere near the same impact as an act of chosen orgasmic sexuality , for me. I know , clearly , that that is not the experience of a number of people on our beloved blog site,and that there is terrible suffering due to EM's. But major or minor impact, I want to reduce the disease as much as sanely, humanely possible,so I'm willing to, however imperfectly, surrender those three things.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: 10/01/2009 08:50:44 »
In the interest of promoting balance on the subject of abstinence:

"Modern research on abstinence
Since 1957, no ill effects have been shown to be associated with frequent sexual activity, and indeed many studies have demonstrated that it facilitates substantial health benefits. One study suggests that frequent ejaculation may lead to a lower risk of prostate cancer.[2] There have been numerous studies indicating that excessive repression of the sexual instinct leads to an increase in the overall level of aggression in a given society. For example, psychologist J.M. Prescott, in a cross-cultural investigation published in The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists (1975), found that societies forbidding premarital sex are plagued by acts of rage, and tend to have higher rates of crime and violence. Prescott also found a link between sexual repression and aggression, insensitivity, criminal behaviour, and a greater likelihood of killing and torturing enemies.

In 1997, Forbes Magazine reported on "one of the most credible studies correlating overall health with sexual frequency". Queens University in Belfast tracked the mortality of about 1,000 middle-aged men over the course of a decade. The study, published in 1997 in the British Medical Journal found that "men who reported the highest frequency of orgasm enjoyed a death rate half that of the laggards"; that is to say, those that engaged in sex more frequently enjoyed longer lives. The report also cited other studies to show that having sex even a few times a week may be associated with: improved sense of smell; reduced risk of heart disease; weight loss and overall fitness; reduced depression (in women); the relief or lessening of pain; less frequent colds and flu; better bladder control; better teeth; and improved prostate function. The report cited a study published by the British Journal of Urology International which indicated that men in their 20s can reduce by a third their chance of getting prostate cancer by ejaculating more than five times a week."

Above from wikipedia

LOL...When my partner and I began to go to couple therapy two months ago, he asked me "Steve, what do you want from therapy" I said "I want to be able to come five times a day and maintain the benefits of chastity!" ...Enough of this chastity talk. Nothing engenders hate, shame and fear like this topic...

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: 10/01/2009 09:01:56 »
Enough of this chastity talk.

So far, Steve, this is the only thing that you have said that I strongly disagree with. Abstinence/chastity is a crucial subject for POIS. It is even a key point in Dr. Waldinger's paper.
« Last Edit: 10/01/2009 09:22:31 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: 10/01/2009 09:05:54 »
...it would seem, to me, that we could train our bodies, to the degree that it is sanely possible to 'cycle down' and live reasonably happy, contented, satisfied lives without orgasm.

I moderately disagree. :)
« Last Edit: 10/01/2009 09:19:45 by demografx »

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: 10/01/2009 09:34:44 »
Enough of this chastity talk.

So far, Steve, this is the only thing that you have said that I strongly disagree with. Abstinence/chastity is a crucial subject for POIS. It is even a key point in Dr. Waldinger's paper.

There is a prayer that makes me laugh and that I like a lot. It goes "God, give me wisdom, but not so much wisdom I end up with no friends"... LOL ;D

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: 10/01/2009 09:37:41 »
...it would seem, to me, that we could train our bodies, to the degree that it is sanely possible to 'cycle down' and live reasonably happy, contented, satisfied lives without orgasm.

I moderately disagree. :)

PS When you get to 1000 posts will you get to be Jesus Member? ...Just funnin' ya

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: 10/01/2009 10:48:11 »

When you get to 1000 posts will you get to be Jesus Member? ...Just funnin' ya

" Jesus Member Funnin' " ?

OK, I'll ignore that, although others here might not wish to.
« Last Edit: 10/01/2009 10:55:42 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2749 on: 10/01/2009 10:48:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums