The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6425931 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #2750 on: 10/01/2009 10:54:07 »
DR. MARCEL WALDINGER: UPDATE

(I've been keeping up my end of the correspondence with Dr. Waldinger, some email, passing on a question that B_Jim had about cortisol and also trying to get feedback on if/when he can assist us more directly - Demo)

January 10, 2009

Dear [Demo],

Thank you for your e-mail. As said, I will try to focus more on POIS in the next months. I will keep you updated.

With best regards,

Dr. M.D. Waldinger
« Last Edit: 10/01/2009 11:23:18 by demografx »

Offline SteveD

• "God is Truth"...Gandhi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: 10/01/2009 11:07:58 »
"A lover always thinks of his mistress first and himself second; with a husband it runs the other way," "The more one judges, the less one loves." ??

(Just giving you a hard time, Steve ;D)

When you get to 1000 posts will you get to be Jesus Member? ...Just funnin' ya
OK, I'll ignore that, although others here might not wish to.

Hmmm,

Not quite the rhythm I was expecting, but if that hurt you Demo...my humble apologies. You can see why comedy is not my profession...

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: 10/01/2009 11:12:02 »

Enough of this chastity talk. Nothing engenders hate, shame and fear like this topic...

I hope I wasn't too curt or abrupt, Steve, when I responded to some of your points above very briefly ("moderately disagree" or "strongly disagree"). I would really like to respect your personal view and stated wish to be done with chastity/abstinence chat.

However, I thoroughly welcome - from anyone - any and all continued discussion on the subject of chastity or abstinence, both pro and con.

As I mentioned, I consider it a crucial topic to POIS and as we are mature adults, I do not feel there is any need to discuss it here with any "hate, shame or fear".
« Last Edit: 10/01/2009 11:49:31 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: 10/01/2009 11:16:41 »
Hmmm,

Not quite the rhythm I was expecting, but if that hurt you Demo...my humble apologies. You can see why comedy is not my profession...

No, Steve, as I mentioned, the comedic Jesus reference did not offend me, but I am concerned about others here who have expressed certain religious beliefs.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: 10/01/2009 11:36:27 »
Hmmm,

No, Steve, as I mentioned, the comedic Jesus reference did not offend me, but I am concerned about others here who have expressed certain religious beliefs.

Newbie, Jr. Member, Full Member, Sr. Member, Hero Member, Jesus Member...If you have to explain the jokes they are no good.

I am a cradle Episcopalian and was asked by the Catholic church to become a monk in 94 and the Episcopal church to become a priest in 88.
If humor and the word Jesus are not compatible here, I can easily respect those boundaries, Daddy-o

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: 10/01/2009 11:46:57 »
If humor and the word Jesus are not compatible here, I can easily respect those boundaries, Daddy-o

Fine. But I can do without the sarcastic "Daddy-o".

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: 10/01/2009 11:54:56 »
After a lot of prayer and mediation I've decided I'm going to start working on the phase of POIS that immediately precedes orgasm...genital sexuality. After squarely facing POIS for 18 years and now feeling content and satisfied I'm remembering an old saying "If you're not moving forward, then you're moving backward". I can feel some very, very strong pulls to engage in behaviors that would be clearly bad for me, because I'm not trying as hard to 'do the next right thing' to solve the POIS...so, I'm simply not trying. I'm seeing that that's not healthy for me. I like feeling 'normal', but I'm seeing that I need to continue to strive, regardless of where I am, to stay healthy.....So, I'm taking my partner out to the very finest restaurant in San Francisco tomorrow night, for our first time. I'm working a 6 hour day tomorrow, which is up for me, since I haven't been able to be fully at work the last 20 months, because I was so absorbed in the POIS problem. I can really be there for those three people. I can breathe in deeply, do a bit of yoga, write my partner her daily card...and intermittently pray.I think I might just be fine without genital sexuality, just for one day...Onward

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: 10/01/2009 12:18:23 »
I think the "joylessness" of others' reactions [to POIS] might be some version of fear. Health issues with a baffling tinge to them (like POIS and CFS) sometimes freak people out, in ways that they aren't even aware of.

Girlwind, do you think that could explain the poor reactions many of us have received from the medical community?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: 10/01/2009 12:28:41 »

Well, Martin is still waiting for air tickets from Counterpoints for the POIS Retreat. If they don't arrive soon, we'll have to use this space for The POIS Band - rehearsals and living quarters!
« Last Edit: 10/01/2009 12:38:39 by demografx »

Offline longwalkhome

• View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: 10/01/2009 15:30:49 »
The POIS retreat ... sounds lovely - I could use a bit of a break right about now :)

Anyway, I just wanted to give a quick Fenugreek update. I took around five capsules of Fenugreek every day for about a month. It apparently killed most of my headaches, and some other minor Pois issues at first, but after a while I felt like I'd fully relapsed into the vicious Pois cycle. I stopped taking the supplement after that and went on with my personal life as before. But after stopping my regular Fenugreek in-take, I suddenly felt much worse after orgasm. I don't know how to describe this, but I do know that I was able to think a lot more clearly under Fenugreek than before - maybe the symptoms really had decreased, but I was just a little more aware of how I was doing than I used to be under the usual emotional numbness of Pois?

Anyway, I started taking the capsules again some days ago, and I'll see how it goes. I'm sorry I don't contribute much to the discussion. I'm afraid I'm unable to "keep up" with the high level of pioneering and experimenting everybody on here provides on such a regular basis. I'm still reading this and checking for new posts every day, though. Let me know if there's anything I can do to contribute here (I know about the questionaire, of course!).
« Last Edit: 10/01/2009 15:32:26 by longwalkhome »

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2760 on: 10/01/2009 16:39:55 »
An interesting phenomenon, perhaps nothing: 1)I often get mini panic attacks in sleep that awaken me, but NEVER have I experienced a euphoria type of episode. This was very strange, but very welcome. This was two nights ago. I learned that, perhaps, our chemistry can be reversible. 2) Last night, during sleep, I should have definitely had an NE (all sensations clearly dictated it). In the past, it would have been 100 out of 100 certain. But I didn't. In both cases, it seeems to me (perhaps erroneously) that there may be other parts of my brain/nervous system functioning to offer "another way". I'm reticent to share this, but I think the give and take of this forum is a very effective tool for a therapeutic/psychiatric type of interactive catharsis that may be in itself a healing instrument.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: 10/01/2009 17:17:04 »
An interesting phenomenon, perhaps nothing: 1)I often get mini panic attacks in sleep that awaken me, but NEVER have I experienced a euphoria type of episode. This was very strange, but very welcome. This was two nights ago. I learned that, perhaps, our chemistry can be reversible. 2) Last night, during sleep, I should have definitely had an NE (all sensations clearly dictated it). In the past, it would have been 100 out of 100 certain. But I didn't. In both cases, it seeems to me (perhaps erroneously) that there may be other parts of my brain/nervous system functioning to offer "another way". I'm reticent to share this, but I think the give and take of this forum is a very effective tool for a therapeutic/psychiatric type of interactive catharsis that may be in itself a healing instrument.

Underwater: I'm not getting the gist of what you're saying. Can you please explain what you mean by: "other parts of my
brain/nervous system functioning to offer "another way".
It sounds intriguing and I want to understand.

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: 10/01/2009 19:23:41 »
Girlwind:
Brain/Nervous system functioning to offer "another way"--
With POIS and with my GAD there are triggers causing my nervous system to respond negatively. There are almost always "delays" between the triggering event and my symptoms, whether these be POIS onset or Anxiety onset. For many years, I have helplessly watched and felt the overwhelming biochemistry slowly assert its power. I've always wondered if there may be a volitional intervention, perhaps willpower or acceptance that could combat, reduce, or rid the symptoms.  BUT lately, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a subconscious component that may help. Not metaphysical, but "another" real, internal, healing action. Almost like your own psychotherapy, but one that is not controlled by our neocortex, but by an older part of our brain/nervous system. I do submit, however, that our neocortex may communicate with our older brain/nervous system, the one that controls these initial biochemical releases. If we could get in touch with this older brain, we may have some influence on our chemistry. We all know about the left/right duality of "intelligence". Perhaps there is an UP/DOWN connectivity that will allow us to affect our "ancient animal responses"?  This "another way" may be our cathartic, therapeutic, interactive, creative efforts to connect our "neurotic new brain" to our older, instinctive brain, the one that seems (to me) may control these chemical neurotransmsitters. It is the "successful act" of "getting in touch with ourselves" (I hate to use this cliche), and then letting the part of our brain/nervous system take its own corrective action. Do we have this "self correcting capacity" at the neurochemical level? Girlwind, I don't know where this capacity may reside, that's why I used the term "another way", a process rather than necessarily a location. I've struggled over the years with exercise, diet, breathing, art etc, but maybe I've been too focused on me as a body and incapable of relaxing enough to allow natural healing. This very act of responding to your question may be an example of a catharsis, a communicative act, perhaps a creative act that may assist in this process. Take Care----------------

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: 10/01/2009 20:15:23 »
Thanks Demo for email update :)

Any time, B_Jim : - )
« Last Edit: 10/01/2009 20:17:32 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: 10/01/2009 20:34:04 »
Again a major finding Demografx, however I'm not so happy to hear about this. I wouldn't have expected such a problem. Is it really the cause for pois, the treatment will say it if any.
Your pois started a long time ago, do you have this since the beginning... What is amazing is that your usual doctors didn't find this. It was a simple blood test. You had to ask yourself for a prolactin test! I can't believe this. Good luck for the next steps.

Martin, thank you, you're too kind!

Sorry that I've taken  longer than usual to reply to you, I have been visiting family recently, without using my laptop, and my cellphone internet doesn't allow for forum posting here.

Until further testing, and then seeing what happens in my next POIS-cycle, it's difficult to say whether the prolactinemia (high prolactin) is from POIS or not.

But POIS is the reason I am seeing this doctor, and POIS is what he is looking for.

You ask a very good question, why hasn't prolactinemia been discovered before. I suspect it is because GP's (general practioner MD's) don't normally test hormones in depth. THAT is why I went to an endocrinologist! And it is only because of this forum that I would have thought to see an endocrinologist. Thank you for asking!
« Last Edit: 10/01/2009 21:11:13 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: 10/01/2009 21:15:17 »
I'm sorry I don't contribute much to the discussion. I'm afraid I'm unable to "keep up" with the high level of pioneering and experimenting everybody on here provides on such a regular basis. I'm still reading this and checking for new posts every day, though. Let me know if there's anything I can do to contribute here (I know about the questionaire, of course!).

Longwalkhome, you are certainly contributing!! And your current fenugreek experimentation and reporting is MOST helpful!!

I look forward to your next post. And I'm sure others are looking for your next post, too!

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: 10/01/2009 21:38:21 »
Girlwind--
You mention "resistance" in reference to sometimes not being able to go to the core of the feeling. This is how I often feel. I used the word relax, in that I often just can't get there or hold it if I do. When I can remove this resistance or obtain this relaxation, I  feel  an envelope of warmth and serenity coming over me. This is rare, but I get it enough to know that it is quite desireable. I'll get this at times in the water, at times after a satisfying meal, at times with a pleasant surprise, at times for no reason. What's interesting for me is that I can feel this coming on and taking hold as a positive and desireable physiological experience, just the opposite of the negative and debilitating response to POIS and GAD. That is why I know that POIS is significantly reduced if it occurs during this serene envelope, but worsened if during a GAD episode. I hope that if I can remove most resistance to obtain my maximum relaxation, GAD will disappear. This has happened before and my assumption is that it will happen again (I believe it is in its end period now). I hope. As far as POIS is concerned, I want to take my "relaxation/removal of resistance" to new, deeper levels. Perhaps this will significantly reduce POIS. And of course I will continue to experiment with supplements and herbal medicines etc. These efforts are always made to improve my overall health and my psychological responses to stress.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: 10/01/2009 21:57:48 »

Underwater, I don't know if this is related, but long ago I stumbled on what some sleep researchers/writers have referred to as "brain orgasm". It has exactly ALL the properties of an NE, but WITHOUT the ultimately POIS-debilitating PHYSICAL RELEASE of an NE!

The mind "thinks" that it is having an orgasm, but it is not actually doing that; it is a VIVID experience in the dream/imaginary state. I don't believe it's possible to occur during the waking state. And it's difficult to fully describe.

I was never able to "create" a nocturnal brain-only orgasm, but the more I read about it...it just happened.

To my way of thinking, "brain orgasm" is a temporary - perhaps even permanent for some people - POIS cure: it allows the body/mind to periodically express itself sexually -  - which I believe it really needs to do - - but without the horrendous/horrific consequences of POIS!
« Last Edit: 10/01/2009 23:00:33 by demografx »

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: 10/01/2009 22:13:01 »
It seems that FenuGreek and Maca which I take 3x/day along with Garden of life Restore(FYI Ultra also works ) has the greatest effect on the CFS/Fibromyalgia symptoms. 
Yohimbe and Horney goat weed seem to be more of a secondary help in the formula.  Works good taken with fruit juice(berries Pomegranite etc)   
I also take about 50mg. od DHEA.  When I took it alone there wasn't a great effect. 

I haven't had an orgasm in 2 months. The physical desire goes down as long as there isn't too much stress to deal with.  Kind of keeping my mind on other things as much as possible.  Having good results and progress keeps positive mental energy.   
I took Maca a long time ago and there was no improvement.(maybe a bad brand..). You're able to stay 2 months without orgasm while taking horny goat, it's not what is written about this plant ! As I said before I'll try fenugreek.

I take a 7:1 concentrate(Paradise Herbs) which is equal to 1750 MG of whole root 3xday.  Iyt seems to have a synergy with others especially Fenugreek.
Horney Goat doesn't have that effect on me(surprising) although I haven't had a NE in a couple years.  I used to have a lot but stopped taking pian relievers(aspirin Ibupofen)  later in day seemed to help.  Getting older(50) might have a lot to do wih it.  Of course cancelling Cinemax also helped.
For me the 1st two weeks are the toughest then the strength of the urge  lessens.   

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: 10/01/2009 23:13:04 »
Demo--
Thanks for the information--
It was strange "not" to have an NE--
Perhaps it will (not)happen again, who knows--
A panic episode usually precedes my POIS episode--In this case, obviously, no POIS but no panic!!! That's why I'm feeling pretty good right now; but disappointments always await. However, I am going to try to remain optimistic. I will continue to do any little thing that might help, but most of all optimism. For most of the last 20 years I've had an anxious attitude about POIS, like it's always there; when is it coming next?. Now, I'm going to try to be positive and try to relax all the time, and if it happens, it will happen without the backdrop of dread. [While of course, I continue to experiment with herbs, supplements etc.]

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: 10/01/2009 23:21:23 »
Girlwind--
You mention "resistance" in reference to sometimes not being able to go to the core of the feeling. This is how I often feel. I used the word relax, in that I often just can't get there or hold it if I do. When I can remove this resistance or obtain this relaxation, I  feel  an envelope of warmth and serenity coming over me. This is rare, but I get it enough to know that it is quite desireable.
As far as POIS is concerned, I want to take my "relaxation/removal of resistance" to new, deeper levels. Perhaps this will significantly reduce POIS.

Underwater--I think we're describing something similar, although my experience is more than relaxation. It is like a
shift in perception of my reality, with a relaxation accompanying it. The key for me has been investigation of my mind
to see what it's telling me (behind my back!), and then asking myself if it is REALLY TRUE. So many times, to my utter
amazement, my mind is yapping away about crap that holds so little truth, that it makes me laugh out loud. And with
that moment of realization (which can be VERY TRICKY to get to) comes the aaahhhhh--the relaxation response. In a
way, it makes me feel like my mind is a figment of my imagination--which it actually is!

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: 11/01/2009 00:00:16 »
Girlwind--
Beautifully articulated--
You capture my state of being also--

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: 11/01/2009 01:28:18 »
I take a 7:1 concentrate(Paradise Herbs) which is equal to 1750 MG of whole root 3xday.  Iyt seems to have a synergy with others especially Fenugreek.
Horney Goat doesn't have that effect on me(surprising) although I haven't had a NE in a couple years.  I used to have a lot but stopped taking pian relievers(aspirin Ibupofen)  later in day seemed to help.  Getting older(50) might have a lot to do wih it.  Of course cancelling Cinemax also helped.
For me the 1st two weeks are the toughest then the strength of the urge  lessens.   

Finally, I appreciate your reporting your regimen and your experiences!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: 11/01/2009 01:36:12 »
TENSION RELIEVER

It's been 6 weeks. Enough! Maybe that's the right length of cycle interval for me. I do feel better, more energized "in spite of". Hope it lasts.

Next endo visit/more labwork is in 3 days.

As always, this place is hopping with ideas!

Thanks, everyone!
« Last Edit: 11/01/2009 05:57:53 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: 11/01/2009 01:39:49 »
Demo--
Thanks for the information--
It was strange "not" to have an NE--
Perhaps it will (not)happen again, who knows--
A panic episode usually precedes my POIS episode--In this case, obviously, no POIS but no panic!!! That's why I'm feeling pretty good right now; but disappointments always await. However, I am going to try to remain optimistic. I will continue to do any little thing that might help, but most of all optimism. For most of the last 20 years I've had an anxious attitude about POIS, like it's always there; when is it coming next?. Now, I'm going to try to be positive and try to relax all the time, and if it happens, it will happen without the backdrop of dread. [While of course, I continue to experiment with herbs, supplements etc.]

Underwater...what a winning philosophy you have! I'm copying you :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2774 on: 11/01/2009 01:39:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums