The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6438668 times)

Offline martin88

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #2775 on: 11/01/2009 04:34:27 »
Martin, thank you, you're too kind!
Sorry that I've taken  longer than usual to reply to you, I have been visiting family recently, without using my laptop, and my cellphone internet doesn't allow for forum posting here.
Until further testing, and then seeing what happens in my next POIS-cycle, it's difficult to say whether the prolactinemia (high prolactin) is from POIS or not.
But POIS is the reason I am seeing this doctor, and POIS is what he is looking for.You ask a very good question, why hasn't prolactinemia been discovered before. I suspect it is because GP's (general practioner MD's) don't normally test hormones in depth. THAT is why I went to an endocrinologist! And it is only because of this forum that I would have thought to see an endocrinologist. Thank you for asking!
I thought you were just depressive with your results, but in fact you just enjoyed about them ! This is good news !

This is not the first time this is happening like that. I know someone (old) who went several times to a MD for a pain in the stomach after an effort and nothing was done. One year later he had to ask himself for a cardiac test. MDs found he had had an attack, and kept him for cardiac surgery.
So it’s good to have an other advice sometimes.
As you said this forum can find something, we have the proof. This is very encouraging for all of us.
« Last Edit: 11/01/2009 06:45:06 by martin88 »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: 11/01/2009 04:48:18 »
I take a 7:1 concentrate(Paradise Herbs) which is equal to 1750 MG of whole root 3xday.  Iyt seems to have a synergy with others especially Fenugreek.
Horney Goat doesn't have that effect on me(surprising) although I haven't had a NE in a couple years.  I used to have a lot but stopped taking pian relievers(aspirin Ibupofen)  later in day seemed to help.  Getting older(50) might have a lot to do wih it.  Of course cancelling Cinemax also helped.
For me the 1st two weeks are the toughest then the strength of the urge  lessens.   
Thank you very much Finally for these precisions. For sure the age does not help with libido. I’m losing a litle bit every year. Also I noticed some differents reactions when I'm taking the same supplements I took when I was younger: Sometimes better efficiency and other times weaker effect than before. It would be very interesting to understand why aspirin gives you more NEs.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: 11/01/2009 05:13:12 »
It seems there is an interesting link between Iron metabolism and immunity, Pois and dopamine. I'm not sure, it is just a start of theory...

- Orgasm seems to cause autoimmune disorder for us (especially if flulike symptoms).
- Then it causes inflammation and increases IL-6.
 (Demo's physician friend thinks IL6 are linked to Pois)
- IL-6 increases hepcidin Here and here
- Hepcidin decreases iron levels (its job)
- Low Iron level decreases catecholamines metabolism (Iron is cofactor of tyrosine hydroxylase (th). Th regulates the metabolism of L-Tyrosine to Dopamine). B3 is a cofactor too.

I'm convinced we can reduce IL-6 with good diet. I think to iron because Guthrie's link gives me this idea of "post-orgasm anemia" and because i said you I wait infos from another case. He has possible deletion of flulike symptoms with iron supplement. Everybody must check his iron level. But it's not enough because there are a lot of biological factors linked to iron. We talked with SteveD and he said he had Pois even when his iron level was good. But i remember even a low-limit level of iron can have effect on Dopamine (restless legs syndrome for example). Another problem is the role of iron on immunity. It seems to be a very complex problem because iron can be anti-inflammatory or pro-inflammatory, depending its form or its association with other molecules. Excessive iron can increase problems and be dangerous for body : No self-medication with iron! only doctors choose to try supplement or not . When Iron is "free" it might be used in pro-inflammation reaction too. Maybe the solution is to improve the absorption of iron instead of iron supplement. Lactoferrin can do the job .
And why not heal the autimmune disorder itself  ?  
Beside anti-inflammatory properties, LF was found to inhibit some autoimmune disorders.
It seems safe but i prefer to have opinion of the doctor.

On B jims hypothesis, i my experience with protein can back it up.
When i eat lots of protein and use multivitamin and increase uptake of vitamin C out pois, I experience this kind out mental High.
However, when i reapeat the same actions during pois i never achieve t the same result, it was always the same pois symptoms.
I believe Pois is definitely chowing down our neurotransmitters.

I would like join the band but I have no sort of musical talent. But i wont mind being the one throwing my panties on the stage.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: 11/01/2009 05:38:37 »
TENSION RELIEVER

It's been 6 weeks. Enough! Maybe that's the right length of cycle interval for me. Do feel better, more energized "in spite of". Hope it lasts.

Next endo visit/more labwork is in 3 days.

As always, this place is hopping with ideas!

Thanks, everyone!

UPDATE: 4 HOURS LATER...TIRED

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: 11/01/2009 05:52:35 »

I would like join the band but I have no sort of musical talent. But i wont mind being the one throwing my panties on the stage.

OK CCconfucius, take the 2nd bungalow on the left!

« Last Edit: 11/01/2009 05:54:13 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: 11/01/2009 06:12:15 »
As you said this forum can find something, we have the proof. This is very encouraging for all of us.

Thank you, Martin!

Offline SteveD

• "God is Truth"...Gandhi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: 11/01/2009 10:00:09 »
TENSION RELIEVER

It's been 6 weeks. Enough! Maybe that's the right length of cycle interval for me. Do feel better, more energized "in spite of". Hope it lasts.

Next endo visit/more labwork is in 3 days.

As always, this place is hopping with ideas!

Thanks, everyone!

UPDATE: 4 HOURS LATER...TIRED

You okay?

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: 11/01/2009 10:12:59 »
Though the use of Gandhi’s prayer “In brahmacharya lies the protection of the body, the mind and the soul” and an old piece of poetry that begins “The Lord is my shepherd…” I was able to stay focused on serving musically today. One guy learned melody construction in contemporary composition, one I taught Django Reinhart and a third Voodoo Chile (Slight Return).

I took my partner to dinner at a 5 star restaurant and the total focus on sensuality, while absolutely blissful, started me dissipating. When I start with food, I quickly move to sex, and that engages one of the five stages, for me, of POIS.

Got me to thinkin'... I just may become more conservative. Hmmmm...

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: 11/01/2009 14:43:12 »
Though the use of Gandhi’s prayer “In brahmacharya lies the protection of the body, the mind and the soul” and an old piece of poetry that begins “The Lord is my shepherd…” I was able to stay focused on serving musically today. One guy learned melody construction in contemporary composition, one I taught Django Reinhart and a third Voodoo Chile (Slight Return).

I took my partner to dinner at a 5 star restaurant and the total focus on sensuality, while absolutely blissful, started me dissipating. When I start with food, I quickly move to sex, and that engages one of the five stages, for me, of POIS.

Amazing. Brahmacharya. I tried to fully embrace this and other similarities that you espouse. Just couldn't do it. Hundreds of reasons.

And, DESPITE the agony of going the other way, it's who I am, perhaps powerfully encoded genetically over centuries.

So I will continue to pursue the world of hormonal balance, neurotransmitter fun and games (Hormonopoly®, anyone?) and brain transplants ;D

You okay?

Yes. But still tired. And if history repeats, I have several more days of this to look forward to. Thanks for asking.

Don't do it. See Frost/Nixon.
« Last Edit: 11/01/2009 14:54:37 by demografx »

Offline Jasmine07

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: 11/01/2009 17:29:51 »
hi guys, i'm a 23 year old healthy female, however, a day or two after an orgasm i get a couple of painful, inflamed pimples on my shoulders/back. my hormone levels are fine.  i've tested this numerous times over  the past few years and i'm convinced that's what my body acne is related to. does anyone have a similar problem??

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: 11/01/2009 19:03:47 »
hi guys, i'm a 23 year old healthy female, however, a day or two after an orgasm i get a couple of painful, inflamed pimples on my shoulders/back. my hormone levels are fine.  i've tested this numerous times over  the past few years and i'm convinced that's what my body acne is related to. does anyone have a similar problem??

Jasmine, welcome to The POIS thread of Naked Science Forum! These 3 posts are for you (this one and the following two).

The link directly below shows previous posts which contain acne as part of the discussion. I hope that helps. The "MessageID" number is the search result forum Post to look for. The numbers do change, but it should be close by to the one you're looking for. The MessageID of your very first post above, for example, is found underneath your name that appears to the left of your post and is MessageID 216495.

Best wishes! And looking forward to more posts from you.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=acne+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=
« Last Edit: 11/01/2009 19:37:47 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: 11/01/2009 19:12:38 »
Jasmine, here are some more forum resources for you:

"Girlwind" - yes, that is another female name here - has created an excellent POIS Video. A first!

"B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. MessageID: 149009
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: 11/01/2009 19:19:36 »
my hormone levels are fine.

Solutions for POIS may need to go way beyond the standard hormone tests.

"Girlwind" in particular is extremely knowledgeable in this area. She just recently completed $2,000 worth of hormone tests! That doesn't mean that you need anything close to Girlwind's (she's also looking for other maladies besides POIS), but you may want to take a look at some of our previous hormone test discussions:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hormone+test+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com
« Last Edit: 11/01/2009 19:43:10 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: 11/01/2009 21:49:40 »

Hi Jasmine,
Sometimes stress can cause acne outbreaks.  Perhaps you associate orgasm with stress, and this precipitates your condition?
This is interesting, but I'm almost positive you don't have "conventional POIS"; of course, the term "POIS" is becoming increasingly vague.

The 200 or so, who have posted, can be separated into about three distinct groups. The first group contains
very approximately 120 of the posters.  These people share about 10 notable mental symptoms (word finding difficulty, brain fog, ...), but have no severe physical symptoms.  The next group contains about 60 posters -- these people have the same mental symptoms as those in the first group, with additional physical symptoms.  The third group contains people who not only have different symptoms from those in the first two groups, but who have different symptoms from one another! Nonetheless, the symptoms are often some combination of physical/mental, and are usually quite severe.  Mostly, this group shares the fact that they feel some kind of symptom "post-orgasm".

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: 11/01/2009 23:40:25 »
The 200 or so, who have posted, can be separated into about three distinct groups. The first group contains
very approximately 120 of the posters.  These people share about 10 notable mental symptoms (word finding difficulty, brain fog, ...), but have no severe physical symptoms.  The next group contains about 60 posters -- these people have the same mental symptoms as those in the first group, with additional physical symptoms.  The third group contains people who not only have different symptoms from those in the first two groups, but who have different symptoms from one another! Nonetheless, the symptoms are often some combination of physical/mental, and are usually quite severe.  Mostly, this group shares the fact that they feel some kind of symptom "post-orgasm".
Counterpoints,

That's remarkable profiling information. Can you tell me what the 10 mental symptoms from the (60%)  first group are?
Is there a grouping, pattern or cluster to the physical symptoms experienced by the (30%) of the second group?
How long have you been collecting profiling?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2790 on: 11/01/2009 23:59:13 »
The 200 or so, who have posted, can be separated into about three distinct groups. The first group contains very approximately 120 of the posters.  These people share about 10 notable mental symptoms (word finding difficulty, brain fog, ...), but have no severe physical symptoms.  The next group contains about 60 posters -- these people have the same mental symptoms as those in the first group, with additional physical symptoms.  The third group contains people who not only have different symptoms from those in the first two groups, but who have different symptoms from one another! Nonetheless, the symptoms are often some combination of physical/mental, and are usually quite severe.  Mostly, this group shares the fact that they feel some kind of symptom "post-orgasm".

Counterpoints, extreme exhaustion and physical fatigue is my understanding of the chief POIS symptom, yet I hardly ever see you mention it! We've had this discussion before privately and publicly, yet we keep coming back to it.

I know it's not your key symptom (it is mine), but starting with the POIS founder, Dr. Marcel Waldinger and his 5-year observation of patients, plus the people who have posted here, exhaustion and fatigue, both physical and mental are the main complaints I see repeatedly.

Maybe there is a difference between people who post consistently vs. the one-timers? Am I missing something?

Admittedly, I have not quantitatively analyzed B_Jim's data,
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009 but when something strikes me as so obvious and so repetitive - and I've been here since the beginning of The POIS Forum...it's difficult to understand how we could differ so greatly.

B_Jim, I'd greatly appreciate also hearing your understanding of the chief symptoms of POIS. Thank you!
« Last Edit: 12/01/2009 00:17:31 by demografx »

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: 12/01/2009 00:14:39 »

"Girlwind" in particular is extremely knowledgeable in this area. She just recently completed $2,000 worth of hormone tests!

Girlwind,

I'm getting testing done for my anemia and while I'm there I'll request some hormonal testing. Can you tell me briefly what you tested for?

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: 12/01/2009 00:15:44 »
Counterpoints, extreme exhaustion and physical fatigue is my understanding of the chief POIS symptom.

Physical fatigue simply isn't the most common symptom.  There are posters with mental symptoms, without physical symptoms.  And there are posters with both.  And there are posters with physical symptoms, but no mental symptoms; however, these cases are extremely rare (<1%?).

So it follows, naturally, that physical fatigue is not a primary symptom, though it does affect a considerable number of sufferers.

As you know, Dr. Waldinger only discussed 2 patients.  And some of their symptoms were rather irregular in this circle.  He also emphasized that each of them had premature ejaculation, which is not something I have heard talked about here.

Maybe there is a difference between people who post consistently vs. the one-timers? Am I missing something?

I don't see why I would mention physical fatigue in the context of the above quoted post.  One point, I am trying to draw attention to, is that many of us can be placed into different groups, and it is likely each group has distinct causes for the symptoms associated with that group.  For instance, your high prolactin levels may have something to do with your symptoms.  However, both of Dr. Waldinger's patients had normal prolactin levels (I do too, as do some of the others who have been tested here).

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: 12/01/2009 00:22:57 »
Counterpoints, extreme exhaustion and physical fatigue is my understanding of the chief POIS symptom.

Physical fatigue simply isn't the most common symptom.  There are posters with mental symptoms, without physical symptoms.  And there are posters with both.  And there are posters with physical symptoms, but no mental symptoms; however, these cases are extremely rare (<1%?).

So it follows, naturally, that physical fatigue is not a primary symptom, though it does affect a considerable number of sufferers.

As you know, Dr. Waldinger only discussed 2 patients.  And some of their symptoms were rather irregular in this circle.  He also emphasized that each of them had premature ejaculation, which is not something I have heard talked about here.

I don't see why I would mention physical fatigue in the context of the above quoted post.  One point, I am trying to draw attention to, is that many of us can be placed into different groups, and it is likely each group has distinct causes for the symptoms associated with that group.  For instance, your high prolactin levels may have something to do with your symptoms.  However, both of Dr. Waldinger's patients had normal prolactin levels (I do too, as do some of the others who have been tested here).

As I mentioned in my post excerpted directly below, mental and physical fatigue/exhaustion is what I believe.

starting with the POIS founder, Dr. Marcel Waldinger and his 5-year observation of patients, plus the people who have posted here, exhaustion and fatigue, both physical and mental are the main complaints I see repeatedly.

As  I also mentioned in my post excerpted directly above, I referred to Dr. Waldinger's 5-year history of observations, not the 2 patients he wrote up.

Are we still at odds?
« Last Edit: 12/01/2009 00:27:55 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: 12/01/2009 00:25:18 »
I just went through survey responses.  Several people mention 'fatigue', while listing mostly mental symptoms.  So it's somewhat ambiguous whether they are referring to physical or mental fatigue.  But about 48-55% of responders list physical fatigue or exhaustion as a post orgasm symptom.

edit:  I've never seen the "5 year history".  Where is this?
« Last Edit: 12/01/2009 00:28:45 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: 12/01/2009 00:30:13 »
Counterpoints, your survey is a small fraction of the total 200 visitors, plus Waldinger!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: 12/01/2009 00:32:06 »
edit:  I've never seen the "5 year history".  Where is this?

It's in Dr. Waldinger's paper that you read and posssibly missed.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: 12/01/2009 00:35:05 »
CP, I just tried to look at the survey, and the data's not there; I understand there are problems - have they been resolved?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: 12/01/2009 00:40:22 »
about 48-55% of responders list physical fatigue or exhaustion as a post orgasm symptom.

Albeit skewed to the approx. 19 forum survey participants, isn't that modal-statistic reason enough to list it as a chief sysmptom? I'm sure nothing else comes in as even a close 2nd to the 48-55%!! And please don't count just "mental" as a chief characteristic ;D

I love this: a 30+ year market-data researcher and a physicist duking it out :)

Counterpoints, please take into account that I've been at this obsessively for years. I know you've also put in a great deal of time, too.

Please don't take any of this as unappreciative of your work. But I will bet my bottom dollar on physical/mental, even emotional exhaustion/fatigue.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2009 00:50:40 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: 12/01/2009 00:41:30 »
Counterpoints, speaking of exhaustion, POIS has got me right now...fatigued!!!! :(

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2799 on: 12/01/2009 00:41:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length