The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6461849 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #2925 on: 17/01/2009 09:09:13 »
forgive my ignorance , but what is GAD?

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: 17/01/2009 15:42:09 »
Steve--
As Demo observed, GAD stands for a generalized anxiety disorder. For me, it is a parallel condition to POIS. When GAD is present, which historically for me is a long 2 or so year episode, it multiplies the symptoms of POIS. I use the word multiply, because the symptoms are very similar. When GAD is gone (which I am expecting soon w/ help of psychiatrist), then POIS will most likely -if history is repeated for me- stand by itself as my major disability. Since for me, as GAD has psychological, chemical and genetic components, I have always considered POIS to have the same components. What distinguishes POIS is its discrete time frame and its flowing onset after orgasm. And then I wait for it to lift after X number of days. I look at POIS as a unique event, but for me as you can see, I just can't separate it from my larger condition. Over the years, I have come to believe that key hormones such a prolactin, cortisol may play a part as well as all our neuotransmitters such as epinephrine, gaba and dopamine. But I absolutely know (but will not share my psychological and my behaviour history) that there is a "rock solid case" for a concommitant psychological and behavioural genesis, if not actual cause. Thus for me, POIS is a clear trigger, but probably built upon a complex past. Thus, I try to work on all aspects of POIS to diminish it: exercise, sleep, nutrition, my mind, my back, supplements, psychiatrist, chiropractor , you know all the stuff we talk about all the time. The important thing for me is to try to remain calm if my experiments and personal therapies don't yield immediate fruit. I can be walking on the beach and feel like I'm in bliss for a couple of hours, all problems vanished. Then hours later, I'm feeling lousy. I have not had "O" for about 6 weeks. But since I'm feeling significantly better the last 10 days or so generally, and hope this is a sign that GAD is going, I don't want an "O" to interfere. Basically, I don't want POIS to interfere with the (hopeful) conclusion of this GAD episode for me. Some people have to take powerful meds for GAD such as SSRI's or Benzos for very long periods of time or forever. I have taken them in the past but I can get off. I'm free of them right now. Some people are lucky, take them all the time and "seem" happy as can be. Others sink into a horrendous pit, because they screw up their whole nervous system. I don't know what the statistics are. For me, I prefer natural methods. By the way, when I have used these powerful meds, I take subtherapeutic amounts, which is very strange and shouldn't really amount to much. But they do!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: 17/01/2009 17:36:58 »
Do you think that fatigue/exhaustion are major symptoms of POIS?

I think of course fatigue and exhaustion are major symptoms. There are few cases of Pois without any fatigue. But fatigue is a so inaccurate symptom.
Some cases have general fatigue (lack of energy), mental fatigue (can't focus), muscular fatigue... Yes, fatigue can be consiered as the chief symptom.
At this moment, my idea is we can make 2 groups : cases with  and without flulike symptoms.

Thank you, B_Jim! I'd like to see Counterpoints reply.

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: 17/01/2009 18:45:27 »
Regarding fatigue as a symptom of POIS--
For me, I measure it against my normal, non-pois condition-
I am more tired swimming. I don't feel like I have the requisite energy to do work that requires significant concentration. I would call it fatigue, physical and "mental"; but for me it falls short of exhaustion. However, if I were to be hit with multiple pois episodes during a short period, then I could call it, perhaps, exhaustion. I haven't quite understood "brain fog" as it has been used here. I think classification is essential to any endeavor to understand POIS. However, intuitively, I think there may ultimately be 100's of symptoms or more, not unlike other nervous system illnesses, notwithstanding the fact that POIS has a specific, powerful trigger.
Perhaps as we come up with specific remedies that begin to make inroads into POIS, we will see a pattern emerge [as certain remedies improve certain symptoms]. But classification is very important, as it may point the direction to additional, broader descriptors to POIS or perhaps even a different term that is "POIS LIKE."

Offline SickLifeSaver

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: 17/01/2009 21:50:07 »
hello everyone,  I am new to this forum and hope someone can help.  For the past several years my sexual relations have been severely hindered by a sudden onset of severe nausea, weakness, and hot flushing feeling immediately after ejaculation. It has not been a severe as the cases (duration wise) as I have seen in these post, but has basically forced me to avoid sexual activity.  I also a major increase in heartrate.  I have a full physical exam and even wore a halter monitor to rule out arrhythmias.  The only time I have these feeling is with ejaculation.  I currently do not take any medications, but have been treated for depression in the past and do not feel like I am depressed now.  I allergic to buspar so that would not help.  Does anyone know what this could be and if any treatment is available?  I am in NC and none of the doctors I have seen to know or are willing to answer anything about it.

Offline SteveD

• "God is Truth"...Gandhi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: 17/01/2009 21:54:11 »
hello everyone,  I am new to this forum and hope someone can help.  For the past several years my sexual relations have been severely hindered by a sudden onset of severe nausea, weakness, and hot flushing feeling immediately after ejaculation. It has not been a severe as the cases (duration wise) as I have seen in these post, but has basically forced me to avoid sexual activity.  I also a major increase in heartrate.  I have a full physical exam and even wore a halter monitor to rule out arrhythmias.  The only time I have these feeling is with ejaculation.  I currently do not take any medications, but have been treated for depression in the past and do not feel like I am depressed now.  I allergic to buspar so that would not help.  Does anyone know what this could be and if any treatment is available?  I am in NC and none of the doctors I have seen to know or are willing to answer anything about it.

There are a number of us here , using different techniques, to ameliorate this disease, that have found relief. You're in the right place.

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: 17/01/2009 22:08:16 »
Perhaps as we come up with specific remedies that begin to make inroads into POIS, we will see a pattern emerge. But classification is very important, as it may point the direction to additional, broader descriptors to POIS or perhaps even a different term that is "POIS LIKE."

Total % loss...For me
1) openness to dating    2% loss
2) dating                     5% loss
3) arousal behavior      10% loss
4) genital contact         20%loss
5) orgasmic sexuality   95% loss

After a two day experiment at stage 2), for us, dating, my partner and I went back to stage 4), for us, non orgasmic genital contact.

I'm feeling fatigued, confused, flushed, tired, runny nose, arthritic in my knees and lower back.
I'm negotiating with my partner to do a three day experiment at stage 2, for us, after the long weekend and before a three day trip we have next week.

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: 17/01/2009 22:30:15 »
Steve--
My lower back issues are tied into POIS and my GAD. When I get anxious, there goes my lower back. It is so tied into it that if I fix my back, GAD diminishes. If GAD diminishes it helps my back!!It is even tied into POIS. My nervous system is integrated, real integrated. These things have helped with my back whenever it flares:
ice, electrostimulation (at chiropractor), massage of lower abdominal muscles (see Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies--This seems counter intuitive, but it's not). I have noticed (not 100%) that many times the ice (on back) works moderately to diminish GAD and POIS. I have also noticed that electrostimulation at chiropractor has worked with both; same with massage. I have no idea if it would help you. For me, it seems like my brain is connected to my pelvic area. No sh1t. It's weird. Maybe I have POIS and post orgasmic neurosis.

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: 17/01/2009 22:55:20 »
Hi SickLifeSaver---
I'm "relatively new" here too. This is without a doubt the BEST PLACE to seriously discuss this illness and related issues. I find that engaging in "conversation" with other members is tremendously beneficial. This forum has already made contributions to diminishing POIS (some concrete observations), and I believe that many new and valuable observations will be shared this year. Personally, I can relate to your: hot flushing, nausea, weakness, increased heart rate, and your past history of depression. I get those and a few more. I also have anxiety and depression issues, separately and tied into POIS. I've had this crap 20-30 years. I'm very optimistic.
WELCOME--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: 17/01/2009 23:16:35 »

SickLifeSaver, welcome to the POIS thread of the Naked Science Forum.

As Underwater and Steve noted, this is a great place to discuss your post-ejaculatory problems.

I wish we had a magic answer for you, but we're still looking for treatment answers ourselves.

I would suggest going through the posts and finding similarities to your case - - and that might spark some ideas for you! For example, this link directly below will show you the previous posts here for "flushing", one of your symptoms. Note that the message ID number, although it changes, will tell you approximately where you can find the post. Your first message post above, for example, is MessageID 218146, found under your name.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hot+flushing+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com

Other sources which may be helpful:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. MessageID: 149009
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video. A first!

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

SickLifeSaver, we're looking forward to more of your posts!

Don't give up!

« Last Edit: 17/01/2009 23:19:27 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: 17/01/2009 23:35:20 »
SickLifeSaver, you may also wish to get a copy of the first study done on this malady/illness called POIS. More details below.

Then bring it to your doctor. We have had the same problem as you with medical credibility: most doctors don't understand our condition.

Many of us see POIS' problem as hormonal, so you may think of seeing a local endocrinologist (which I am doing). The co-author of the paper below is an endocrinologist. Other Forum members here have other ideas of the "best" medical practitioner to see. You will see that by searching the posts.

POIS Research Study

The first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If anyone wants a copy (PDF), send "Pyropeach" a Private Message with your email address and he'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, e.g., "pyropeach".

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: 18/01/2009 03:21:11 »
Steve--
 My nervous system is integrated, real integrated. For me, it seems like my brain is connected to my pelvic area. It's weird. I have no idea if it would help you

It's all integrated for me, too....and I'll try anything. Today it was fasting and two 6 ounce glasses of wheatgrass.

After doing yoga for an hour, at sunset, on the San Francisco Bay beach...talk about lucky...I was talking to my partner about how I feel surpisingly badly today. I would expect that if I were orgasmic, with the accompanying 375% increase in symptoms (see below), but I'm not. Then, I realized that moving from dating to genital contact is a 300% increase in symptoms...The road looks like it may be beginning to narrow.

Total % loss...For me
1) openness to dating    2% loss
2) dating                     5% loss
3) arousal behavior      10% loss
4) genital contact         20%loss
5) orgasmic sexuality   95% loss

Offline Pro

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: 18/01/2009 07:25:55 »
Hello-

I am new here. This is utterly amazing how I found this  (searching google to see wtf is up). For a long time (after masturbating for 20 years) I have been living in an "unawakened" state. The effects are not at all unlike those I have read here (I am glad I'm not alone in this)- let me tell you my side effects :

Failure, Brain fog, anger, irritability, confusion, back pain, tiredness, loss of self-confidence, disassociation, anxiety, depression, guilt AND the urge to repeat the process...

I could go on but these effects are enough to completely alter (or destroy) one's life. The peculiar thing is that despite the observation that I thought it MIGHT be causing these things, I continued (and maybe continue?) to do it. I have been taking antidepressants for a few years...

My theory is that some people are more susceptible to having this disabling illness just as some people are more susceptible to having depression or alcoholism.

Of course, guilt is one of the symptoms of depression. I am non-religious. But this illness may be the source of some religions teachings for abstinence etc. This is huge... but WHY is this here? WHY has it destroyed my life- or has it?

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: 18/01/2009 08:38:55 »
Hello-

I am new here. This is utterly amazing how I found this  (searching google to see wtf is up). For a long time (after masturbating for 20 years) I have been living in an "unawakened" state.
My theory is that some people are more susceptible to having this disabling illness just as some people are more susceptible to alcoholism.

This is huge... but WHY is this here? WHY has it destroyed my life- or has it?

Pro,

Welcome.

I don't know why I have it either, but, like you, I think it's kind of like alcoholism....some are susceptible, some aren't. The good news is that there are some techniques that ameliorate the symptoms, not the least of which the 'talk therapy' that this forum provides.

Again welcome

Offline SteveD

• View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: 18/01/2009 08:41:29 »
Hello-

I am new here. This is utterly amazing how I found this  (searching google to see wtf is up). For a long time (after masturbating for 20 years) I have been living in an "unawakened" state. The effects are not at all unlike those I have read here (I am glad I'm not alone in this)- let me tell you my side effects :

Failure, Brain fog, anger, irritability, confusion, back pain, tiredness, loss of self-confidence, disassociation, anxiety, depression, guilt AND the urge to repeat the process...

I could go on but these effects are enough to completely alter (or destroy) one's life. The peculiar thing is that despite the observation that I thought it MIGHT be causing these things, I continued (and maybe continue?) to do it. I have been taking antidepressants for a few years...

My theory is that some people are more susceptible to having this disabling illness just as some people are more susceptible to having depression or alcoholism.

Of course, guilt is one of the symptoms of depression. I am non-religious. But this illness may be the source of some religions teachings for abstinence etc. This is huge... but WHY is this here? WHY has it destroyed my life- or has it?

PS I haven't masturbated in 18 1/2 years...It's possible

Offline Pro

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: 18/01/2009 09:20:22 »
So Steve,

By not doing it in 18 1/2 years- are you cured? Or for you does it apply even to intercourse?

And B_Jim- Dissociation from Wiki : newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociation [nonactive]

"depersonlization" also sums it up.
« Last Edit: 18/01/2009 09:33:40 by Pro »

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: 18/01/2009 15:26:17 »
PRO
WELCOME---
I have many of your symptoms--I've had POIS at least 20 yrs-------------
You have found the right place for help--A lot of support---------------
You will get better---Talk to you later---------------------------------

Offline fellow sufferer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: 18/01/2009 16:36:57 »
Welcome Pro and SickLifeSaver ! Maybe can you give more details (number of days, flulike symptoms or not, tips helping you ... )

Pro, i really love your description of "unawakened" state, dissociation. I feel the same thing. You find the good expression. It's the more difficult symptom to explain to my doc.
I used the words :
- mental confusion
- stupor
- derealisation
- "i feel like sleeping" / dreamlike state
- loss of vigilance and loss of consciousness

At the moment, my best theory to try to explain this is the unbalanced ratio DHEA/cortisol. Saving cortisol release might be a key factor (avoiding all physical , psychological stressors as diet or light) and for flulike cases at least , inflammation.

Offline fellow sufferer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: 18/01/2009 16:43:50 »
my POIS is debilitating too. None of the physicains I have approached are able to diagnose the problem. I have worked on the overlying GAD which has somewhat reduced the dread I used to have but the terrible brain fog, severe pain in R hip and R leg still continue .
I have a delay post "O" of about 1 to 6 hours before this awful condition begins. This is my first time on this site. I hope it is the right place for me. You all seem to be very helpful for this mysterious complex plague!

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: 18/01/2009 17:38:00 »
Pro--
Here are a few observations I didn't have time to make this morning. [By the way, I noticed that among your symptoms are back pain, anxiety and depression. I also took meds for anxiety and depressions in the 90's] Just to let you know, I have a dual condition of POIS and Anxiety (GAD). I have found that exercise is a life saver for Anxiety and a temporary improvement for POIS. I've been long distance runner/swimmer for 32 yrs. Exercise = Endorphins. When I drink plenty of fluids, I feel better (hydration). Has helped me with both conditions. For me, staying away from alcohol and caffeine has helped with both conditions. When my anxiety disappears, my POIS is reduced; in other words, when my back pain, anxiety and depression goes, my POIS is not so debilitating. Except, I think my backpain might be here to stay due to age?  Supplements: I've taken supplements for over 30 years. Vitamin C is my constant forever (1,000-4,000 mg daily). I've changed supplements over the years and they never stay the same. Right now, on top of vitamin C, I take a B complex, D, fish oil, garlic, magnesium and potassium, also some calcium. I have many more vitamins, minerals, herbal medicines and supplements I experiment/alternate with, but have not recently added any permanently to my daily intake. Although I'm not sure what permanent means in the context of nutrition.  I exercise extreme prudence when it comes to engaging in an event that causes stress. These are anxiety triggers and POIS triggers. If I don't feel real strong, I avoid all stress triggers if I can help it. For back pain and groin pain which comes from anxiety and POIS, I get relief from self administered trigger point therapy and from the chiropractor. I have gone to chiropractor after POIS and have actually felt better for a short period of time. Deep breathing helps me for both anxiety and POIS. Psychiatric support has helped me with anxiety, and thus derivitively with POIS also, but not directly with POIS. This forum has helped a lot, because it gets one to focus.
For me, this forum is therapeutic and cathartic. I actually feel better as a result of constructive, positive dialogue. Since I feel better as a result, it strengthens my immune and nervous systems. It reinforces healing. It seeps into the subconscious. It actually becomes a tool. But I won't get into that. Too esoteric. 
This is on top of the physiological, theoretical, nutritional discussions etc. OKAY, I can't think of anything more right now------Too long winded-----------------

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: 18/01/2009 18:39:51 »
Hi fellow sufferer--
You're at the right place--
You'll find this place comforting, helpful and most of all focused on finding answers to the POIS nightmare. Personally, I'm more optimistic than ever since my discovery of this site. Great people, great dialogue and multiple perspectives. Just to let you know, I have GAD and POIS too.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: 18/01/2009 20:32:32 »

WHY is this here? WHY has it destroyed my life- or has it?

Welcome, Pro.

Your questions are part of the agony many of us experience. I know this might sound childlike, but to me, POIS just doesn't seem "fair". What did we do to deserve this?

But the progress here has been phenomenal. Two years ago, there was no resource like this forum available. Anywhere.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: 18/01/2009 20:42:39 »

None of the physicians I have approached are able to diagnose the problem....You all seem to be very helpful for this mysterious complex plague!

Welcome, fellow sufferer.

The number of medical practitioners who understand POIS is miniscule. One way to help that is to show your physician a copy of the medical study of POIS written up by Dr. Marcel Waldinger. (Please see my note above to SickLifeSaver how to obtain it).

Thank you for your compliments. We look forward to your future posts.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: 18/01/2009 21:09:59 »
To the newcomers:

Some people here have experimented with the supplements Fenugreek and Relora. This is not a medical endorsement; ask your doctor or health care advisor if this is right for you. Previous forum posts below:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fenugreek+relora+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&aq=f&oq=
« Last Edit: 18/01/2009 21:36:14 by demografx »

Offline SickLifeSaver

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: 18/01/2009 22:08:09 »
Thanks for all the kind reply and I do think I made a great discovery with this group.  One thing I did not mention, is that my symptoms are usually not as bad when I masturbate, but even in my past relationship the persisted.  It was not like being nervous that got better, if anything it got worse.  I have taken in consideration GAD, and I do think it may be part of it, but my anxiety levels seem to have decreased over the past couple of years.  I am wondering if I need to some medication like buspar to help or maybe a beta blocker.  I find that most of sign/symptoms disappear as my heartrate decreases. As far as depression issues go, I was on prozac for a while and it caused me to be unable to ejaculate. I am not showing any of the signs or having any of the feeling of depression that led me to seek that medication and have been off of it for over a year now. Does anyone know if there is an alternative to Buspar?  Has anyone had their MD put them of betablockers for the condition?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2949 on: 18/01/2009 22:08:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums